The Real You vs Your Personas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangely enough, I'm not very 'loud' online.

Public Me: Reserved and very judgmental. Excuse me for looking at you and then putting you into a classification. But know that I am fricking watching you and noting your behavioral habits. I don't want to really talk with you because you're a stranger and I don't like strange people. I'm not shy at all. I'm not going to be twiddling my fingers or tapping my foot nervously. I'm going to stare you down and if you even think of speaking to me with some damn lackadaisical attitude, you'll be given a cutting remark meant to scar.

Pubic Me (With Close Friends): You're either my friend or your not. No in between. When I'm with people whom I have known for a while, I am pretty loud, sarcastic, and crude. I will make a sexual joke at every turn and somehow the discussion will stay on sex. I don't know why but my motto seems to be "Butts" all the time. I also like to get cozy, meaning I'll flop down in your lap and tell you treat me like a king.

Public Me (With Authoritative Figures): Polite as hell. I may call you old though if you're one of my teachers.

Family Me: Not a single curse or perverse thing will come from my mouth. I will be snarky, like always but always making jokes even if you get mad. If someone in my family is getting old, I make sure to remind them everyday.

Online Me (Roleplaying): Formal. Very formal. Sometimes I sound like a robot or something. My humor is dry, my sarcasm waving its flag if I notice stupidity, and my stiffness over 9000. I try to be ... happy? Kind? I don't know. At least I try to make sure my partners are satisfied.

REAL ME: I am a ... duck. A handsome duck. Thank you.

I more or less made a list of my traits. I'm kinda tired, so it's not an exhaustive list.

IRL Me - Around Strangers: Quiet and "shy"; very anxiety-ridden; "clean" speech (mostly)

IRL Me - Around Acquaintances: Usually quiet; may attempt a "clean" joke; may or may not burst out singing for the Hell of it. Slightly more expletive-y.

IRL Me - Around Friends: [Error: Do not have IRL friends]

IRL Me - Around Close Family: Sometimes quiet; may talk your ear off; much more open about most hobbies and interests; may or may not burst out singing. Expletive-iness between mild and medium.
------
Online Me - Introduction/About Me: Forward; pretty much detached; open about most hobbies and interests. May contain expletives, depending on site.

Online Me - Chat Rooms/Certain Games: Mostly gender-neutral, but won't hesitate to correct your misgendering; "funny"; open about interests/hobbies; sometimes channels the grammar police; snarky. Kind of expletive-y.

Online Me - Other Games: Kind of gender-neutral, will not hesitate to correct; quiet; very "kuu", no "dere". Usually not very expletive-y.

Online Me - Forums: Slightly gender-neutral, doesn't care about misgendering; "talkative"; kind of silly when I feel like it. Slightly expletive-y.

Online Me - People I Like: Usually quiet; trying to be serious; open about interests/hobbies. Very "kuu", very "dere". I use very mild expletives.

Real Me: All of the above + self-conscious + slightly creepy + nerd. Very expletive-y.
------
As for "Persona"-characters, they tend to mostly be between "Online Me - Other Games" and "Online Me - Forums". Although my original/fave/most accurate character persona is most like "Online Me - People I Like".

real me and online me are pretty much the same:

hilariously witty, irreverent, immature, fun to hang around, unafraid to express an opinion, and RACKS

I know that people in general would not enjoy being around a calculating, analytical, emotionally stunted person.
Maybe I'm just odd, but I'd be fine with that honestly.

Honestly I prefer that opposed to being shown masquerades.

No major differences between the various "me's." Just body language is lost entirely and I've been often accused (even here) of being, and I quote, "Pretentious hipster twat", "pretentious asshole", "dirty hipster" and various other derogatory slang which involves hipster and pretentious. Oh well, I must be a plastic person then.

Save for when I'm with dad, I can be as open as I wish with the guy. He was an excellent father for when he needed to be and now he's one of my best friends.

Interesting question...

I do have different personas, although I try to keep the differences as small as possible. I have 2 main personas other then the real me.

The real me is somewhat surprising. Both of my personas stem from imperfections in the real me. I tend to stop speaking for long periods of time, being very introverted around immediate family as well as my friends. Talking is a chore to me and I prefer to sit and listen and just nod my head for answers. I'm an observer and it freaks me out to be included with certain situations. Parties are especially difficult for me and I usually leave the parties feeling guilty. Couple the introvertness with anger issues that would have led to me killing more then a few people in my life. Those are the two extremes of the real me, but the real me is quiet and numb. I don't know how else to explain the real me.

The first persona tries to be the complete opposite of the first extreme. I have 'extrovert real me', which is what I usually fall back into here on Iwaku and with people I call acquaintance. I talk more then I usually do in real life, I try and be friendly with others and I pretend to enjoy talking with voice calls or when I'm invited to peoples houses. I use this persona in some parties, but after an hour, I'm sitting in the corner, drinking some water and just watching.

The second persona is the one I use as much as the first, 'emotionally understanding', the two sometimes meld and work together as one persona on good days. With this persona, I try to experience emotions other the anger or sadness. It's difficult sometimes, but I've been able to attempt empathy with others and I try to feel what they feel and this helps me understand the feeling if I ever feel it in the future.

Most of my characters have qualities I wish I had and some have my qualities, but I've never written as myself.

I guess my online persona/voice is much more cheerful and open? The only ones I've been fully open with would be my best friends, but I'm pretty open about myself online too. I guess it really depends on the situation. Even if I can't see someone's face online and they're strangers, I do get good vibes or bad vibes sometimes, and it either prompts me to be reserved or cheerful and open.

People tell me I'm shy and very quiet, but honestly my best friends would say I'm the craziest of our bunch.

I'm turbo nice online, welcoming, and accommodating.

I'm more of a jerk irl, though. Not that nice of a person at all. Sucks to admit it.

As for everyone else? They get the salesman smile. I mean well, I like to make people happy, but I know that people in general would not enjoy being around a calculating, analytical, emotionally stunted person. So that's what the masquerade around most other people is for: To make them feel more comfortable with someone who otherwise feels very little.
You just described my husband. X_x

Maybe I'm just odd, but I'd be fine with that honestly.

Honestly I prefer that opposed to being shown masquerades.
People generally prefer some display of positive or negative emotions from others in conversations. They also like to uphold certain pieces of social etiquette, otherwise what I like to describe as a veneer of civilization: You don't point out people's flaws in public unless you have an accusation to make, for example. Criticism of works of art is typically seen as inherently cruel rather than constructive unless you preface what you say with meaningless shit, such as "in my opinion, I feel that your hard-work could be improved upon in certain areas." It's almost childish: I shouldn't need to tell people that it's my opinion, I shouldn't need to tell them that's how I feel, and I shouldn't need to reassure them that they did, indeed, work to create the product I did not enjoy.

However, if I wield my logic like a blunt instrument, I leave a lot of blood and sore feelings behind in my wake. Yet, if I wear the masquerade of a friendly face, and deliver such criticisms like a purple kool-aid, people swallow it far better. The information is the same, the only thing that's changed is the coat of paint.

It's everywhere, too. It's inescapable, it's often considered part of being a functioning human being, is learning how to smokescreen your words, to display emotions at appropriate times, in appropriate measures, even if it's concealing how you feel, or don't feel about something, or someone. It's an art in of itself, almost marvelous how overcomplicated we make it.
You just described my husband. X_x
If your husband is anything like me, then the fact that he's agreed to spend the rest of his life with you means he loves you very much. Take that one to heart next time you miss him.

Also, cuddle your ferret for me. :ferret:

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Yea I know how people work Brovo :P

I've gotten a lot of shit for being blunt with people myself. I'm just saying I personally prefer seeing the real situation, although I completely understand why most people don't communicate on such practices.

And it is really complicated, so much so that even after 12 years of specialized therapy of being taught it all there's still stuff I'm completely floored and lost by.

When I first did RPs, it was canon characters, but ones that at least a little similar to my personality.

Since coming here and doing some OCs, I think my OCs tend to reflect some of my personality, except that they are much braver, bolder, provocative than I am in real life.

This is actually a VERY interesting subject for me. My in life personality and my online persona are different for many different reasons. If I could, I'd be what my online persona for sure, but we are who we are.

They're all me. They just highlight different aspects of my overarching persona. For example, I'm ambitious and strive towards certain goals. In environment A that means I will lead a project, becoming a driving force. In environment B where there is already a strong driving force present, I will become more critical, often taking up the mantle of devil's advocate to prevent tunnel vision. ie; I'm both capable of leading and scepticism, but which one I apply depends on which I feel is needed.

I think that applies to more than just work-personas, which I've been using as examples. Of course, like everyone else, I got a couple dominant traits and I don't talk the way to my grandmother the way I do to my friends. Though the past years, my personas have been drifting closer to one another. I think that has to do with me starting to like myself a lot more and generally... Certain traits just working in multiple situations. I used to be like totally different people.

Status
Not open for further replies.