The prophecy

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I guess lord of the rings had quite a bad representation of elves then." Adam mumbled to himself. Even if he said it out loud she would probably not get the joke. He wasn't sure for how long Dena had been in his world, but he doubted she had been able to catch up on most of their customs, like TV. And even if she had, she would most likely not know of the things that had stopped airing on TV years earlier.

Her last sentence made him pause. He was the only human? But Dena looked pretty human. Incredibly human actually. Identical even. "Uhm... If I'm the only human here... What are you then?" Adam asked. A few guesses played in his mind. A fairy maybe? It wasn't unusual for them to be able to grow human sized and get rid of their wings in literature. It wasn't the norm, but some authors had gone that route. Who knew, maybe that was it. Or a succubus? They tended to look somewhat human sometimes. Maybe she was a banshee. Elves were already out of the picture though, as she said, they were bad, and she probably wasn't... Hopefully.

Dena raised her eyebrow at his comment. It seemed like he was looking for a laugh. But he did not receive one. However she did assume that whatever he was talking about was a story perhaps based on some knowledge of what may have once existed on Earth.

"What do you think I am?" she answered. He seemed to definitely be thinking about it. But she was still worried that he'd fear her if he knew the truth. "Some - not all - species can shift into a smaller form. It's easy to move like this. And it made traveling to your world a lot easier."

So she wanted him to guess huh. At least she seemed to be giving him a hint. Some creatures could shrink themselves, so maybe she was a big creature. "Let's see..." Adam started, but paused to think for a bit. There was only one creature he could remember was human like and big. "Are you a troll or a giant?" He then continued. Troll might not have been the most flattering thing to ask a girl, but giant wasn't too bad. It was just like a human but big. "Or a fairy?" He added, going back to one of his earlier theories. If they could shrink, then they could probably grow too.

"You know, I know next to nothing about this world. I can't be sure if you have trolls or not, or if they even are like the trolls we've invented in my own world. It's like trying to find a nail in a haystack. In the dark. You'll have to give me a better hint if I'm supposed to guess it." Adam then told Dena. He would need some extreme luck to be able to guess correctly if she didn't give him something more to go on.

Dena scrunched her face at the first guess. Well it was true that some trolls were skilled with magic, it was a little upsetting. The idea she was a fairy was an idea that was easier to stomach. It made sense that his guesses were off. But what hint could she give.

"No. I'm much larger in my true form. Then again, some of the old giants have grown pretty large..." Dena trailed off. She took a breath as she tried to come up with a hint. "My race is old. Which means we've had a lot of years to accumulate treasure. But I love being in the sky more, rather being hoarded up in a cave of treasures."

So Dena was larger after all. Something that was large, their race was old, they had caves of treasures, and apparently could fly. Most of the legendary creatures Adam knew of lived on the ground or in waters, most of them couldn't fly. Harpies could, but they weren't especially big, nor had he heard anything about them being interested in treasures.

The young man stayed silent for a couple of minutes as they walked, deep in thoughts. "The only creature I can think of that can fly, collects treasures, are big and lives in caves are dragons. Though in most stories they tend to live in the ruins of old castles." Adam eventually said. He wasn't completely sure that he was right, it might be a creature he had never even heard of, but it was the best guess he could come up with for now.

The silver haired woman nodded her head as he made his guess. "Now, that wasn't too hard to guess what I might be," she answered. "But do you honestly believe that I'm a dragon." The guessing game was at an end. He knew the truth, but would he believe it. She had already thrown him so many strange things in the day. Yet it did feel that there was a small weight off her shoulders now that he knew the truth. She wasn't hiding as many secrets from him now.

(sorry for replying later than expected. I got a headache yesterday evening and didn't feel like writing >_>)

Adam thought about her question for quite a while. Did he honestly believe she was a dragon? Looking the girl up and down from head to toe only made it harder to believe. He might have been thrown into another country, world or even dimension, but he had yet to see someone shape shift into another form. Just thinking about that possibility was quite breathtaking.

"I don't know. It's quite hard to believe when you've never seen it." He confessed. No matter what crazy things happened to him, it was still impossible to just believe something without having any proof for it. He was a man of logic, he couldn't just accept that words were true without further evidence. "You don't really look like what I've imagined a dragon would look like right now." Adam chuckled before eyeing her again. Nope, nothing was there to indicate she was a dragon. No scales or weird colored skin, Dena's eyes were normal, she was normal sized, and most importantly, she looked exactly like a human being. Even the most hardcore believer in supernatural and magical stuff would have a hard time believing such an odd story.

"This form is smaller - which makes it easier to move around in. Besides, I believe it would have been harder to have a civil conversation with you if I didn't look like you," Dena explained her reasoning. "And I thought it would be nicer to walk rather than fly. Not to mention, I'm afraid you might faint from the shock from seeing a transformation." And that was where she planned to leave the conversation. Perhaps with the information in the open, travel would be easier tomorrow. But the boy needed rest.

The village of Rae grew ever closer, the small buildings slowly growing in size as the two made their way over of the colored hills. "Any other questions I may be able to answer?" She was wondered if he had any left at this point. And if he did, would he actually ask or just believe that she would give him around about answer - which she had basically been doing to a certain extent.

Glancing over her shoulder, she stared back at the forest. Birds crowed as they took to the sky. Fluttering from whatever perch they had within the green fortress.

Well, it was certainly true that he would have had a hard time handling the situation if a dragon had appeared in front of him instead of a human being. It would most likely have been impossible for Dena to make him listen to anything she had to say as Adam would have been too busy panicking. Her later words was slightly hurtful though. He certainly wouldn't faint now. Taken aback certainly, but faint? How weak did she think he was? Adam might not be a powerful dragon, but he wasn't fragile as porcelain either.

"I wouldn't faint." Adam mumbled slightly offended, though he wasn't sure if she could hear him or not considering his low tone. Either way, it was probably best to leave that conversation there. No need to get into a fight over it. It was just to prove that he could handle it once Dena actually did transform in front of him.

He thought about if there was any questions left, and of course one would immediately pop up. "What about magic?" He asked. He knew there were a lot of different races now, but did magic exist? Adam had been taken there through some kind of portal, but considering they were trying to find a way to do such things with science in their own time, he did wonder if they truly used magic or just had some advanced technology. "If so, how does it work? Does it come from nature, or from the mind or something?" Even if she was able to explain it to him he doubted he would understand it completely, but one could always hope it was simple.

"Magic?" Dena repeated as she turned away from the forest. Trying to brush off the feeling that perhaps not all was as quiet and simple as it had first felt.

She remained silent, her forehead wrinkling as she tried to formulate the best answer. Was it accurate to say that magic came from nature or the mind. Not entirely. "Magic is the very essence of the world - and it possesses a will of its own. Therefore, I would not say that it comes from nature. It just... exists. And it resides in everything from the elements to every soul born upon this planet. As for how it works? Well, left on its own, wild magic will destroy. It takes strength - a stronger will - to control the magic in to doing your biding. If that doesn't make sense, I can attempt to clarifying it more. Or perhaps you'd prefer to see some magic in action?"

Magic always seemed so simple when he watched fantasy shows or read fantasy books. Even when it was complex and needed long explanations, Adam had still felt as if he understood it somewhat. Maybe he only thought he had understood it because he knew it was fantasy, that it didn't really exist, so no matter if he understood the explanation he was given or not, his mind could easily change it to something completely different so that he could pretend to understand the complexion of what the creators of the series had made. No one would test him on it after all, so there wasn't any pressure on him to really try and understand it all.

Now when he faced the real deal though, he wanted to understand, still he couldn't. It didn't sound that complicated, but still it all went over his head. Probably because he never had used magic himself and it didn't exist inside of him as it apparently did in this new world. It was probably something one had to feel to understand.

"Well, as we say in my world, action speaks louder than words, and a demonstration would certainly help me slightly to understand it, though I guess most of it will have to be experienced and observed when it happens naturally in this world." Adam said, while trying not to show too much curiosity and excitement. Seeing magic was every kids dream, but he was not a kid anymore, though that didn't hinder the little boy he once were to try and get out for this exciting experience. "If you don't mind showing me some, I would love to see it." He then added, still with a composed appearance, though maybe his words sounded slightly too eager.

Status
Not open for further replies.