The Prophecy: Chapter 1 - The Nightmares

C

Chrona

Original poster
The Prophecy Chapter One banner.jpg

All I remember was going to bed...then I'm standing in the forest. I'd say it was around midnight, and...I was just standing in the clearing in my plain grey pajamas. I was also bear foot, standing in at least an inch of snow. I was freezing, and rubbed my arms in hopes I could get a little bit warmer. Seeing my breath clearly and the feeling of my feet going numb surly did not help. The forest was quiet for the most part. I could hear the faint sound of a car driving past on the road that was about a half a mile from where I was standing. Wanting to get back home, I started walking in the direction of car noise.

Upon reaching the trees, I heard the crunch of snow. But it wasn't from my footsteps... Squinting to see better through the trees, I saw some eye shine...From an animal. A wolf to be m
ore precise. How did I know? I heard it snarl and growl at me. On instinct, I backed up, hoping it wouldn't come any closer. But to my luck, it did. In fact it jumped out at me. So I turned around quickly, stumbling forward a bit, and bolted. I wasn't even half way through the clearing when I heard more wolves come and join the chase. My adrenaline kicked in, making me go faster and not care that I was freezing.

A few times I could of sworn I saw a little girl in a black dress standing between the trees as I ran from the wolves. I turned in her direction and ran that way, but she was gone every time. The low growls and snarls were getting fainter. >Am I losing them?< I thought, and glanced back and make sure. They were still after me. "AH!" I yelled once I tripped over a tree root. My ankle hurt. Probably twisted it. I sat up as quickly as possible. The snarls and growls of the wolves were getting closer...and fast. As soon as I stood up, I felt the sting of claws digging into my back. Then things started fading away.

I woke up wide eyed on my back. I was in my room again. The covers were tossed off the side of the bed, and I felt a cold draft of wind. It came from my open window. I sat up slowly, gripping onto my head. "Ugh...Feels like my head is going to burst any second..." I muttered. "I could of sworn I closed that thing." I continued, referring to my window. I looked around my room and noticed my door was open as well. "I closed that too..."

Sliding out of bed slowly, I made my way to the door which led to my living room and kitchen. I swayed on my feet, feeling off balance as I usually felt after a chase dream. The front door to my apartment was cracked open, as well as the balcony doors and window. I shivered, feeling the cold night air hit me from all directions.

I cautiously took a look around my apartment, making sure no unwanted visitors were lurking about. There were none to be found. "I don't like this..." I whispered to myself. >I wouldn't just leave all this stuff open like this. What the hell happened? ... I'll just close and lock every thing...then go back to bed. I have school tomorrow after all.< I thought. I closed the front door first, locking it with the chain and keys. Then moved onto the balcony doors, and the window in the living room. Once I was sure they were all locked up tight, I walked back to my room, stumbling over my own two feet. >God I'm tired...< I thought as I lazily closed the last window, which was in my room. Shivering, I made my way to my bed, pulling my covers over me and glanced at the clock. "3 AM...Only three hours left until I need to be getting ready for school..." I mumbled to myself before laying down and drifting off to sleep.

I had finally been able to get a seat in my favorite place--the courtyard of my high school. Morning had come and I found myself listening once again to the gossip of high school students that were around me. In my lap sat a book in which I had been deeply engrossed in during the evening before, but which interested me little with the possibility of finding out something about the students in which I called classmates. My black eyes were locked on the pages in front of me but my ears were wide open.

"Did you hear that Laila and Darien are getting together?!"

That was one of the louder girls that were talking not three feet from me. I put this tidbit away in my mind under the 'useless facts that someday may become useful'. I was curious as to who this 'Laila' and 'Darien' were but I supposed that it didn't really matter. Not when there was more important things to listen for and to think about. After all, my best friend Jo hadn't shown up yet and I still had yet to figure out why she had, for lack of better terms, become me--the quiet one that sometimes ran away from the rest of her friends. It just didn't seem to make any sense.

My brown hair fell in front of my face as I tried to figure this out while still collecting 'juicy' pieces of gossip. I was glad that I had decided to wear a heavy jacket over my plain blue lock sleeved shirt that went with my lighter shade of blue jeans. I would never have been able to sit outside with these clothes if I hadn't brought the jacket. After all, this was the only place one could truly hear what the others were saying without it being like a drone of noise like in the school building. Pushing my glasses up I looked around at the school courtyard, wondering if I'd see my friend this morning or not.

I sat in the courtyard with my group of friends. Were they really my friends? I mean we hung out enough and we talked, but we never really hung out. Personally, I feel as if they are all a bit two faced, but they are someone to hang out with. After Shae exclaimed rather loudly who was dating who, I forced myself not to roll my eyes. Once I made that mistake, the consequences weren't awful.

It was chilly outside. My breathe formed clouds. The winter was a wonderful time. Perfect for cuddling. Soon enough I zoned out on the fog from my own breath. Sometimes their chat just got entirely boring. I was known to be loud and talk a lot, but I am nothing compared to Shae and her group. I never understood why they were so content always talking about what other people were doing. For me anyway, life is complicated enough without worrying about the goings on of everyone in school.

Faintly I heard my name being called then it was being screamed. With a slightly annoyed look on my face I focused on Shae. "You never pay attention Renee. You're here but like you aren't," She tossed her blonde her around as she spoke. That was the thing about Shae. She enjoyed flaunting her around. Just because she got "Best Hair" in middle school doesn't mean she needs to carry on the title in high school.

"I'm not in the mood today, Shae," I retorted and headed into the school. Last night had been rough. I saw another ghostly image. These images just started coming. They were completely unexplained and a part of me didn't want it to be. If I was going to be a freak then I would suffer the status quietly.

Everyone was out in the courtyard. That was something I never understood. It is absolutely freezing outside and people wanted to be in the courtyard. "They are all insane," I murmured before turning my attention back to the textbook in front of me. Today was a big test in history, and I needed to pass the class. I can get everything else I want, but you can't pay off teacher for grades... only if life worked like that.

As soon as I began reading my mind took control and went in another direction. My attention was back in the courtyard. Everyone had someone out there. No one is sitting next to me. No one is talking to me. My phone hasn't even gone off in awhile. That is all my fault though. My head dropped into my hands as I began berating myself for being a jerk to the people who around me.

I don't know why I act the ways I do. Everything starts out fine and lighthearted, but it's like something inside me clicks and some major asshole comes out. It isn't like I mean to hurt anyone with my words, it just happens. When I go back to fix what I've done it's too late. The damage has been done too often to fix. Looking back out the window I pointed out everyone I've said something to.

The walk on my way to school was the best thing about school and I hadn't even gotten there yet. I kept telling myself in my head, "Kyle, this is your senior year. Last one and you're out for good." That was enough for me as I trudged through the fallen leaves from the end of autumn and walking briskly towards the large building that loomed in front of me. I had just noticed that the weather was colder than normal, and yet, I wore no jacket. It wasn't because I wanted to act bad ass; I had simply forgotten to grab it.

I finally arrived at the front gate of the school. To me, that was a celebratory step. That only meant I was closer and closer to leaving the place. Not bothering to look around me, I made my way over to the far wall of the courtyard, my usual spot, and leaned against it. Unfortunately, those bricks were cold and my first reaction was a hiss and to close my eyes. This was my fault, of course. I had almost began to leave the courtyard in anger until I heard the familiar barks of the girls.

Girls. They were always screaming at the top of their lungs just because they want to be heard. I am used to it about now. This is my fourth year in this school and I know these males and females attitudes like the back of my hand. I had some bad experiences with both and I don't want anymore to ruin this last year. This is my last year.

The cold was starting to get to me and I shivered unconsciously, letting out a long and exasperated sigh. Hurry up bell, hurry up.

walking up the steps to hell, i yawned and glanced at my phone. i was late, which wasn't unusual for me. i sighed as i switched my backpack to my other shoulder. i opened the wide door hesitantly, reminding myself that i just have to scrape by this last year before I'm free. free. i slipped silently into the crowd, everyone was going to their next class. i came in time for english. awesome. i winced at the white walls and white lights.The florescent lights bothered me. i wasn't sure why, but the bright shine of them made everything to loud. the school reminded me of a hospital in a way, a psychiatric one for sure.

people stared, though i was used to it. i did not dye my hair for attention, oh no, i dyed it simply because.. i could. my parents cannot control my life anymore and i knew it ticked them off when something is out of the ordinary. i would not let them ruin this year, i prefer to let my stupidity to do that for them. before school had began, i made a pact that i would find someone to room with, i needed to get out of the crappy one room apartment that I'm in.

taking a deep breath, i ignored all the rude comments and shoves and searched for my class. finding it, i hoped everyone will do the same as they did in previous years, ignore me. the bright lights started to bug my again.

I woke up with a start, looking around my room. It felt like someone tapped on my arm earlier. I put my head in my hand. "I must be going insane..." I muttered to myself, shaking my head slowly. Turning to look at my clock, I sighed. First period started in ten minutes. There was no way I could make in time. Knowing I was going to be late anyway, I took my sweet time getting ready.

My shower took around ten minutes, meaning class was starting once I got out. I dried off, not bothering to dry my hair and just brushed it out, and jogged the short distance from the bathroom to my bedroom. First slipped on my socks, underwear and bra, then my comfy gray skinny jeans. I simply grabbed a shirt from my closet, which turned out to be an orange and black striped long sleeve shirt. I decided to wear my boots today since my feet still felt freezing. They were simple really. Black with light brown fur on the inside and on the throat of the boot. After that I decided to hurry up a little, quickly getting on my tanish coat and buttoning it up, then grabbed my Christmas scarf. I wrapped the knit scarf around my neck as I walked out the front door of my appartment. Of course I grabbed my keys before leaving.

After I was sure my door was locked, I started jogging. It was only a thirty minute walk to school from my apartment building. I figured if I ran and or jogged, I could get to school earlier. About five minutes passed of me just jogging on the sidewalk. It was freezing out here, and I felt stupid for not drying my hair. I broke into a fast run, not thinking about anything else. Just on running. Doing this helped me past the time, because, before I realized it, I was at the front doors to the school.

Not having a good excuse as to why I was late, the staff in the front office gave me after school detention. That wasn't so bad considering that it was only twenty minutes long during the winter. All the teachers wanted to go home like the rest of us. My first class was history...and 'luckily' for me, we had a test. I glanced at the clock in the hallway as I made my way to class. Only ten minutes left. That wasn't enough time to finish. I'd have to make it up somehow. I sighed. "Just great..." I mumbled sarcastically, opening the door and taking my seat at the front of the class. The teacher didn't seem to care I was late. He simply handed me the test and said
"Do your best, Jo."

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]--> I had spent the morning, like so many others, alone on my bench taking in gossip after gossip as I waited. Sighing heavily, I rose from my seat as the first bells of the day rang out over the yard. With the million other students I began my advance on the school, though at a slightly slower pace, which earned me many shoves and curses. I did my best to ignore them as I found my way through the school to my first class, my book from earlier being replaced with a book for that class after a quick stop at my locker.

I sat through the explanation of the history test, though my eyes kept sneaking to the door. It wasn’t completely unusual for my friend Jo to be late to first period. She had done it a few times, but I had been sure that because of the test she would have gotten there on time today. Quickly however my attention was brought back to the test with a deep inward sigh.

When Jo finally entered the classroom, I sent her a sympathetic look from my seat at the back of the classroom. There wasn’t going to be any time for her to get the whole test done. The next ten minutes for me flew by as I finished the last two questions and then slouched in my seat, waiting or the bell to ring to turn in the test. While I had finished five minutes early, I didn’t like getting up and delivering my test in front of others. It was much easier for me to hand in the test with the wave of other people that went with the bell that signaled the time to move between classes.

I let the sea of students drag me along until I was just next to the door that would lead out. Then I pushed my way out of the students, apologizing as I went. I’m pretty sure I stepped on someone’s foot in my attempt to get out of the wave of human bodies. When I finally was able to pull myself free, I looked around, wondering if I had completely missed Jo and I would have to wait for lunch to get to ask her why she was late.

It was time for school. The first bell had rung, and I'm sitting in art. I don't know why I try to draw, because I can't. I suppose I figured if I took a class I'd be able to draw, but my teacher has encouraged me to quit. After three years of taking art I haven't improved. The thought of being creative is nice and deep down everyone desires to be creative, but I'm not.

I really wish I could dance. It is sort of in the same category as art. My mom signed me up for dance lessons. It resulted in a broken ankle thanks to my awesome gracefulness. After that mom decided to stop trying to increase my skill in any of my interests. Several hobbies had gone by and each of them ended in some awful incident. Not quite sure what went wrong during each endeavor, but something did.

Now, I have to draw my hand. Just my hand. How hard could that be? After a few tries, I realized how hard it was. My fingers are all crooked, and my nails are too long. The knuckles look like I have arthritis, and wrinkles are everywhere. Who would have thought I was so bad at this? I glanced around the room and saw all the beautiful hands of my classmates. Why couldn't I be like them? With a soft grown I crumbled the paper and decided to start new.

History test time. With the pencil eraser clenched between my teeth I stared blankly at the paper in front of me. A few bubbles had been filled in on the scantron but somehow they managed to look wrong. I have a couple A's bubbled sssooo let's put a C. I put that thought into motion. The next question was easy and soon enough I was in the flow of test taking. I've always had problems test taking. Even when I was young I would get a little anxious during the first few questions.

The whispering of a class mate caught my attention. Looking over next to me was Jo. She was late again, and the teacher didn't care. It wasn't really my business, but I think poor timing means people are not responsible. I shouldn't look down at this girl something must be wrong with her. She doesn't seem to hang out with a ton and never talks, or she could be just plain weird. The teacher cleared his throat and looked at my pointedly. At that moment I realized I had been staring at Jo. Quickly I looked away because I didn't want to be pegged for cheating. I couldn't afford to be called a cheater, I need to get into a good college.

Upon reaching the class that she was late for, Jezebel - as always - received a detention slip. crumpling the note in her hand, she strolled to her desk. Upon sitting down, she listened until she got bored, which was after a sentence or two. making a face, she ripped a sheet of paper out of her binder and began doodling. Humming, she continued to cover her page with little squirrels fighting. She let out a small giggle when she saw someone throw a paper airplane at the teacher. She received many dirty looks for that.

nobody ever liked Jezebel, she was classified as a "freak". she only was a freak because it bothered her parents, which was her favourite hobby. but now, she was out of the house, so she could always go back to her dark hair. it kind of stuck, she knew she would miss her bright hair so she delayed dying it back, saying she had to keep bugging her parents. The only friend she ever had was her rat, who's name was Jeremiah. Jezebel hoped to get him a girlfriend once she got a decent job and apartment.

yawning quietly, she attempted to pay attention but soon got distracted by the desk she was sitting in. It was old and vandalized, inappropriate words and pictures etched into it. using her pencil, she absentmindedly traced the picture of male genitals, bored out of her mind. She glanced at the clock, wishing to God that the time would pass quicker. The teacher droned on and on until finally, the bell rang. Giving the teacher a sly smile and a little wave, she hurried out of the classroom and slipped into the bathroom. she needed to change her pad before the next class. i can't wait until i'm out of this hell-hole...

The test was brutal...well to me it was...I only knew around half of it, and I cursed myself in my head for not studying. I made it to question ten, skipping a few of them in between, before the bell rang. Even when sitting at the front of the class, closest to the door, it was hard for me to get up. The mob of people was too great, so I sat in my chair until they all cleared out.

My best friend, Sybil, was waiting for me. I expected she wanted an answer as to why I was late...again. I always dodged her questions though, which I felt bad about. I really did want to tell her about my dreams--well nightmares-- but I couldn't bring myself to do it. The fear that she wouldn't understand them stopped me every time. I gave her a weak smile before as I stood up. The teacher was waiting behind me for my test. I handed it to him and he said
"You can finish it during lunch." Then he took it from me and walked back to his desk.

I sighed, then turned to look at Sybil. "Hey Syl...I'm sure you're wanting to know why I was late again." I said as I walked up to her. "We can talk during seventh. I have to finish the test during lunch..." The nice thing about our classes was that we were in three together. History which was first period, Chemistry which was fifth, and Art which was seventh. We were spread out pretty far in the first two classes, but in Art the teacher set us right next to each other. We didn't have that many people in the class, so we basically got a table all to ourselves since the other guy was absent most of the week. I then started walking out of the class, going slow at first so Sybil could walk with me. Our classes were next to each other this period, so we always walked together.

The bell had rung and I had almost missed it. I was too engrossed with the way things were playing out on the courtyard that I hardly heard the melodious bell until it became annoying. Classes were about to start, meaning I had at least 4 hours in that hell hole until I was free to go to work. I laughed to myself when i walked into English. Free for work made no sense to most people, but to me it made perfect sense. Coffee was a lot more compelling than prepositional phrases, for sure.

The students were already loud when I reached the room and that didn't make me feel any better about knowing that I had to be in there for at least an hour. So, to avoid any confrontation, I sat next to Jezebel. I don't think she noticed I was there but whatever. The last thing I wanted was conversation. School was a dangerous place; people get hurt there and many even lose themselves. Trust me, I should know. Jezebel didn't look like she meant any harm, but I wasn't going to take any chances. I just wanted the teacher to start the lecture and get the class over with.

I spent the rest of the period drawing on my desk. It was just a past time I enjoyed. At least it kept the time going. The drawing was of an eye. Now that I look back on it, what kind of eye was it? Human? Animal? I looked down at the crude drawing and was quite surprised at myself. How did that picture get in my mind? Of course, before I could attempt to answer myself, the bell rung. I sighed heavily and walked on to my next class.

I watched my friend worriedly as she joined me and then told me that she'd talk to me (and hopefully explain her absence that morning) during seventh period. No doubt she would say something of oh it was nothing, like she had the last several times she had been late. I knew the signs of when the girl didn't want to talk about something. Shaking my head, I slipped out of the classroom after Jo, my grip on my books tight so as I wouldn't lose them in the fighting waves of students. It was if it didn't matter if we were going the same way, one had to push another because they were going too slow or too fast. I debated asking the girl if she wanted me to help her study next time we had a quiz but quickly stifled the offer. I had offered more times than I could count over the years. Reminding the girl once more wouldn't help.

"Just make sure you get to last period and aren't late. I heard the art teacher has been in a right foul mood today." I told her with a smile. I never had to tell Jo where I had heard things. I had proven over and over that I heard things that were said without meaning to. Now if only I could put that to good use in the future, then I'd be all set. But I had no intention of going down any road that led me into danger, like my aunt and uncle suggested when I'd shown them my skills at eavesdropping. Who would want to spy for all their days and work with secrets? I sure didn't--whether it was to spite my relatives or because I didn't like it. By this time we had made it to our classroom doors and I waved.

"Good luck with the test during lunch, Jo." I said before going into my classroom. The rest of the day, at least for me, drug on like someone had latched an anchor to it and was slowing it down that way. Even lunch seemed to take an especially long time to go by. Even though there was gossip galore around me in the lunch room and out int he hall where I stood reading my book after I was done eating, it seemed to take on an almost sour note, as if everything else was being turned bad because of the long time. With a deep sigh I moved off through the more or less quiet halls in search of some new way to entertain myself that didn't involve listening to idiots gossip or reading a book. Eventually I found myself sitting out in the cold, watching as leaves slowly found their way from the tree branches to the ground. Despite the cold, I relaxed back on the bench until I laid sprawled across it, my eyes closing to give me the appearance of having fallen asleep.

The bell rang and I was in the crowded halls. A strange face caught my eyes. A pale face with big blue eyes looked at me. Something about the overall atmosphere was weird. It was the face of a child but the spirit of an adult. The child made a motion towards me. I shook my head thinking that maybe I was just daydreaming, but the figure was still there. "This can't be happening," I said to myself in front of everyone. Deciding to ignore the figure I kept walking until there was a tug on my hoodie. I turned and there the child was.

Quickly, I pushed through the crowd and stumbled into the courtyard. The cool wind hit me, and I couldn't help but shive. The child was still there, looking out the window. I blinked then she was gone. I needed to check and see if anyone saw. There was several people in the courtyard. One girl she recognized, but she appeared to be asleep. I walked over there anyway "Hi," I said softly just wanting someone to talk to me. I needed to feel normal.

That test was intense. I was about to skip the rest of the day, but I couldn't be absent from art anymore. Drawing was fun, but it was a bit boring at times. We are still working on out hands. I've decided that my hands are ugly and shouldn't be reproduced. Plus, I sat a table with two other girls who were already friends. I've been a major jerk to them a couple times. Maybe today I should make it up to them?

The art teacher was in a bad mood? Heh...Syl always had that kind of helpful information stored away in her mind for later use. I'm sure she tossed out the ones that are no longer needed as well. My thoughts wandered to the test. If I bombed this one, then I'd most likely be given plenty of make up quizzes to get my grade up. I have a D in the class, and everyone knows once you get an F, the teacher makes you do extra credit to get the grade up. He always said "No one will fail this class." And usually looked at me when he said it.

The next few classes went by surprisingly fast for me. I think I may have slept through some of them though. Then lunch came...and I made my way back to the history classroom to finish my test up. Once I saw the questions again, I regretted not taking Syl's help. I decided then to start taking up her offers for help on studying. Well, I answered all the questions I did know, then went back over it and guessed on all the rest. I simply took the best looking answer and colored in that bubble on the scan tron sheet.

I quickly handed in the test and went for the cafeteria. I haven't even had breakfast and I was starving. The only thing left in the lunch line was a few strawberry Uncrustables. It was better than nothing, so I took that and a carton of white milk.

I slowly opened my eyes. Had someone said something? Blinking up at the girl that stood there, I tried to figure out why anyone would be talking to me much less be out in the cold. pushing myself up into a sitting position, I turned to look at her full on with a tilt of my head. Uncertainly I raised a hand in greeting.

"Hi, can I help you with something?" I said, wondering just what I was doing talking to someone who was a member of 'that' crowd--he one that I got most of my information through just listening. I heard a little ways off the sound of a bell going off and shifted uncomfortably. I didn't have to go running in. I had study hall this period with a teacher that was hardly ever there. If i was a bit late because I was talking to another student, it wouldn't matter. And the study hall was a joke anyway. I looked around and tried to find the group that I expected to be near this girl that had spoken to me. I was curious as to if Jo had done her test and gotten a good idea, but that would come after I'd spoken to this young woman I suppose. I pulled my jacket tighter around me as the wind picked up a little.

"I.. uh.. hmmm." I fiddled with the cuff of my hoodie and looked away. This was awkward. My attempt at feeling normal just left because talking to someone you've barely ever spoken to is far from normal. Be smooth. I took a deep breathe then continued, "I just have seen you around and wanted to say hi." Pursing my lips I just kinda nodded. Yeah.. that was smooth. If there was any moment that would be a perfect 'Saved by the Bell' moment, it would be now. I rocked back on my heels and looked at the ground. "I'm sorry this is real.. awkward..." I gave the girl an apologetic look and sighed with relief when the bell rang.

Looking over my should I then pointed toward the building. "Well... that was the bell.. I should get to English.." With a weird little two finger wave, I was gone. Could that have gotten any worse? I twirled a strand of hair around my finger and shook my head. Never would I ever do something like that again.

The bell rang as I finished up my lunch. Sighing, I walked to my next class. It was German, a class I wasn't very fond of. Everyone needs at least two years of a language class. It was either German or Spanish, and German seemed like cooler thing at the time. I went into the class and took my seat, which was at the front yet again. It's like all my teachers are concerned about me now and put me in the front of the class. All I had to do was get through sixth period, and I could go to Art. I hadn't talked with Syl since first period, and wanted to see her again.

I didn't pay attention to the teacher's lecture at all. She tapped my shoulder a few times and snapped me back to the class. I just ignored her and went back to thinking about what I would say to Syl this time. I really, really wanted to tell her. To get some of this pressure off of me. Once the bell rang to go to seventh, I nearly jumped out of my seat. I walked so fast to Art that I was the first one there for once. The art teacher was surprised as well, and it clearly showed on her face. "Good morning Jo." She said, and I mumbled a "Mornin'" back at her. I walked over to my seat as some others were coming into the class as well.

Mine and Syl's table was near the back of the room, the furthest from the door. We didn't care because we got to sit next to each other and not the preppy people at the other tables. I waited patiently in my seat, watching the door. My wait for Syl to arrive seemed endless, and I started tapping my foot impatiently, hoping she didn't go home early because she was sick or something.

I made my way to a water fountain, quietly weaving through the impatient crowd. i stumbled my way to the water source and quickly took a long sip while holding my long hair away from the running water. The water was ice cold. too cold for me, i pulled away from the fountain and continued to my next class, french. keeping my gaze towards everyone's shoes, i slipped into the class and into the farthest desk away from the door. I began to count the seconds until the teacher was there. i got to twelve-hundred before the teacher showed up. He looked annoyed, tired, and happy all at once, if that is possible.

i diverted my eyes to the door as the few stragglers snuck in but made sure not to make eye contact. i didn't need any more trouble than i already had. i was surprised when the teacher called me to front, in french of course.

"huh?" i mumbled. receiving a few snickers throughout the classroom. he sighed, clearly annoyed and stated, "you may begin your presentation." oh shit. i had no idea that we had a presentation, usually, i would throw something pointless together, it would usually give me barely a passing grade. anger suddenly coursed through me. who are you to tell me what to do?

i didn't realize i had said that aloud until i saw the students surprised faces. the teachers face turned beet red as i, embarrassed and angry, stood up and walked out of the classroom. i increased my speed to a run and slipped into the bathroom. i slumped against the wall and muttered to myself. "you are such a fuck-up, Jezebel."

I rose from my seat on the bench and stared after the girl that had spoken to me, confusion spilling onto my expression. I wouldn't have minded talking to her. it would have given me another chance to get more information for the day, but before I knew it she was already gone with the bell. Belatedly I raised my hand in a wave before letting it fall back down to my side. Sighing, I looked up at the sky and moved off to study hall. It seemed to go quickly enough and soon i found myself walking towards the art room.

i had paused to get something out of my locker and had been stopped by another student in my class so I was running a bit late to get there. Just as the bell rang I slipped into the art room with a deep sigh. The art teacher gave me a disapproving and yet shocked look as I moved around the classroom to sit next to Jo.

"Sorry I'm late. Another person needed help with the homework for the history class and couldn't wait until after school it seemed." I said as I looked down at my art pad to have the appearance of working. Even if we were allowed to talk during the class, the teacher looked down on it, and this day I didn't think it would be a good idea to push the envelope. "Are you feeling all right though? You've been late a lot recently."

With a groan I sat at the table with the two girls. I've never shown up for art on time and today seemed like a good day start. I pulled my pad out and stared at it. There were some stray lines here and there. Nothing else. My creativity reservoir is on empty, and I haven't been able to fill it back up. The teacher blames it on the fact that I am always gone and no one can rub their creative juices on me. Personally, I find that a nasty analogy.

"What are you guys drawing?" I ask softly and look over at the two girls. Since I came to class I should at least talk. Maybe I will even try to turn over a new leaf today? A new and improved me. Though.. I don't blame them if they never talk to me. I have been a jerk sometimes. Hopefully they have forgiven me.

I've never tried to ask for forgiveness. It never really bothered me if someone liked me or not. I just lived my life and got what I wanted. Some say I'm spoiled. I'm starting to agree.