The Prophecy: Chapter 1 - The Nightmares

It didn't seem to be possible that such a gentle girl like this could do such a horrible thing, especially with her crying in my lap just now. "I really don't think that you did it. Maybe you tripped and your hand smashed a glass. There are a million different explanations to this scenario to explain the glass in your hand. Hush Jo, it'll be all right. It must have been some weird dream. Maybe you saw what had happened on your way home and your subconscious couldn't handle it so you blocked it out and thought it was just a dream, but you didn't know who had caused the scene so you thought it was yourself? There's that possibility too. You don't have to worry, Jo, I don't think you did it." I tried to get her to realize that it couldn't be her. I couldn't believe that my friend could do such a thing.

I continued crying for a few more minutes. It felt good to get these feelings out after so long. I should of sought comfort long before now. "Do you...want to know about my other dreams?" I asked after my tears had stopped falling. I stayed in Syl's arms, not wanting to leave the comfort of her just yet. I felt that I would start crying again if I did.

"Only if you want to Jo," I said softly, stroking her hair back so that it would not be stuck in her face. "Don't push yourself dear Jo, just relax a little bit." I stroked her hair back and smiled down at her. I didn't think that the nightmares that she must be going through were little things any longer. If they were as scary as the one she had just told me then it was no wonder that she couldn't sleep and was coming late to classes. It would also explain my friends lack of happiness that she used to have.

I didn't really feel like talking about them. All the crying I had done today made me feel exhausted. I wanted to sleep, and already lying down on Syl's lap made the desire to sleep even greater. Though I was afraid I would have yet another one of my nightmares if I did. My eyes felt heavy, and even burned from the crying. I made the mistake of relaxing and closing my eyes. My head fell down all the way onto my best friend's lap and I just passed out.

I was stuck in my seat, patting my friends head. Figuring there was little I could do while she rested since I wasn't going to wake her up, I relaxed back and thought about all that she had told me. How long had it been since she had had a decent nights' sleep? Shaking my head, I reached around her and took the remote off the table and relaxed back to watch some television until she awoke. Maybe I would be able to comfort her more, though right now I was really wishing I had my book. What else was I supposed to do while she was asleep? I couldn't--and wouldn't for my sanity's sake--talk to an unconscious girl.

I was in the field again, in the clothes I was in when I fell asleep. Already I could hear the snarls of wolves and their footsteps in the trees. This time I ran right away, from the wolves that started chasing me yet again. The same thing happened that happened in my nightmare last night. They chased me through the woods, I saw the girl that kept disappearing and reappearing around me. Soon I tripped, almost falling into the pit. The wolves jumped at me again, and I could feel their claws ripping and tearing at my flesh. I woke up, panting heavily and sweating on the floor. I must have fallen off of Syl's lap sometime in my sleep. I could hear the snarls and growls of the wolves still, as well as feel the injuries I suffered in my dream. The sounds faded along with the pain.

I had tried to hold onto Jo. She had started to writhe in my lap after being asleep for a little while. It soon had become so violent that I simple sat back and waited for it to stop, not sure what was going on except that she was having a nightmare again. When she'd fallen from the couch I had gotten up in a hurry to make sure that she hadn't hurt her head or other body parts from the fall tot he ground. In the process I had also turned off the television. Reaching down I touched Jo's shoulder, my face showing worry. "Jo? Jo are you okay? What's wrong?"

"It was...just one of my 'normal' dreams. I'm fine." I said, trying to calm my rapidly beating heart. I thought it would be a good time to tell her what they were like, so I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly before talking. "They always start out in an open area in the forest... Then I hear wolves and usually run away. They chase me, and as I run I always see a little girl that disappears before I could get close to her...then she reappears ahead of me off to the side as I run from the snarling and growling wolves. Sometimes they would catch up to me, and others I trip then they catch up. But in every dream, I get attacked by the wolves near a seemingly bottomless pit. That's usually when I wake up...but I can always still feel them ripping and tearing at my body, as well as hear their snarls and growls..." I said, my voice wavering as I talked. "The pain and sounds fade away after a while of me being awake though."

I couldn't help it after listening to the story. My arms snapped out and I found myself embracing my friend in a rare show of emotion. "And you've been dealing with this all by yourself? You should have come to me sooner Jo," I told her as I pulled back and looked at my friend with a serious eye. I wasn't going to let her keep this up. It was self-destructive to keep these things to herself--as a person with internalization problems, I knew a little bit of being self-destructive.

"Let's get you something sugary and get those moods of yours up. The sooner the better. Maybe you need to just have fun with a friend, you haven't done that with me in a while." I suggested, trying to be a happy person for my friend.

My eyes widened a bit from Syl's sudden embrace. It was rare of her to show such emotion. Usually I was the one that did these things...but of course lately I haven't been my usual self. This almost made me want to start crying again. After revealing all of this to my friend, I felt so vulnerable and weak, yet safe since she was so supportive of me right now.

"Syl...I ..." I started, feeling a loss for words. Tears stung my eyes again, though they weren't because I was sad. "I don't know what to say. Thank you... is all I can think of."

"Say that you won't ever scare me like this again Jo and we'll be even," I told my friend in an almost motherly way and so I decided that I was going to try and lighten the mood a little with an attempt at a joke, "That and you'll get me a new book for my birthday. You know, maybe a romance novel or something? Haven't read any of those in a while." In fact I hadn't read a romance story since middle school. Seeing that my friend was on the verge of tears, I frowned and put a supportive hand on her shoulder.

"We'll get you through this Jo. I promise." I just hoped that I wasn't lying.

"A romance novel? I haven't seen you read one of those in... in a long time." I said, still on the verge of tears, and not exactly remembering the last I've seen her read a romance novel. The motherly way she talked to me, it was weird yet it was something that helped me to stay calm.

Syl's promise was comforting, yet there was a big part of me saying negative things right now. Things that just brought my mood down again. I forced the negative thoughts back before they could sink into my mind, knowing I had to stay positive or I'd never get better.

"So...what do you want to do?" I asked, looking around my apartment room. There were board games, movies, and other stuff in the boxes that took up some corners of my apartment. My grandfather's guitar was standing up in the far corner near the balcony's glass door. He taught me how to play it before, and I played it a lot before the first nightmare, but lately I hadn't even glanced in the guitar's direction.

"Why don't we get you out of this apartment for one?" I asked with a smile. "We've hardly hung out lately. You need to get out of this house I think." I got up from where i sat and held out a hand to help my friend stand. I wasn't really sure what we would do once we were out of the apartment, but I figured that if I could get her out, maybe her natural happy attitude would return. 'When was the last time that I accompanied you on a sexy man hunt? Long time. Come, come you need to remember what it's like to be carefree." It wasn't my favorite activity, though I enjoyed to look, don't get me wrong. It just seemed that most of the time it required being out among people--which is what Jo seemed to need right now.

I found myself shaking my head. I've been afraid of going out of my apartment after school hours. Afraid that I may ... kill someone else. Looking down at the scars on my left hand reminded me of that day yet again. There was no way I wanted to relive something like that again. But... I need to move on. Syl was trying to help me, I can't turn her down. I needed to get back to my usual self.

Taking my friend's hand, I said "I thought you didn't like doing that." Even I heard a bit of a joking tone in my voice.

I grinned despite myself and helped her up before shrugging a little. "I don't hate it Jo, I just hate being around lots of people," I said before turning and walking off towards the front door before stopping and turning around. "Ifin you want, I can stick around until you come home, just as support." I as worried that if I left early she would return to her house and lock herself in her room. That, as much as I did it, wasn't healthy. i only did it when I needed to sleep. It seemed that she was doing it a bit more than was wise.

I considered her offer for a few moments, then shook my head. "No, you don't have to stick with me the whole time. You can just go home when you feel like it." I said, trying to smile for her. I knew I would want to go home and just stay in my room for a while after being outside again. Sometimes if she came home with me after something we did, she ended up staying over at my house for the night. My clothes fit her so that wasn't a problem. The reason I didn't want her over tonight was I didn't want her to experience the strange things that happen in the middle of the night. I didn't know if they really happened or I was just going insane. Either way I just didn't want her spending the night anymore, not until all this stopped at least.

I watched my friend and nodded. "All right then, if you say so," I said. I was not however going to leave her until I had made sure she got safely home. After all, who would want to leave their best friend wandering the area when she was frightened about killing someone? No, only the worst friend imaginable would worry about themselves more than their friends in this situation. "Come on. If we just talk about it we'll never get you out there. Let's go." It felt strange for me to be saying these things, but at the same time is was a relief. This apartment felt weird--strange in a way I couldn't really describe.

I simply nodded at Syl, and walked over to the hook on my wall and took my coat. I slipped on my coat and buttoned it up. Since I was still wearing my boots, I was all set to go outside. Taking Syl's coat down for her, I turned around and walked over to my friend. "Here." I said, handing it to her. The thought of going out again was nice, yet it still frightened me. I didn't know if I truly killed that guy, and until I knew for sure, I probably wouldn't be sleeping peacefully any time soon.

I took my jacket and pulled it on as I rose from where I had been sitting, "Thanks Jo. Now, before I become the introvert again, let's get out of here." I said with a small laugh and leading the way out of the apartment quickly, picking up my bag and slinging it over my shoulder so that I wouldn't have to worry about it. I knew perfectly well that most people didn't like or know me because I rarely spoke or showed emotion to them. This happy, let's go look at boys was totally out of my comfort zone, but I was very protective over my friends--the few I had. Jo being my best friend, I was even more willing to step outside the 'bubble of introvertedness' in order to help them. Not that anyone would get me to admit it.

((This is feeling more like a 1x1. Hopefully the others will find a place to come in.))

I smiled to myself from hearing Syl's laugh. It was always nice to hear it. Feeling calmer now, I followed my best friend out of the apartment, locking my door behind us and putting the key in my coat pocket. "Should we start at the usual spot?" I asked her, referring to the shopping area in town, and more specifically the cafe.