The Player Test!

S

Soulserenity20

Original poster

• WORLD/SETTING/WORLD MECHANIC WORKSHOP
    *Waves*
    Hello there, friend.

I've been on iwaku for a couple of years now and I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two about a thing or two. I've been GMing one long term RP for 2 years on this site, though its been up and down for 3. It took about a year for it to catch on the way it did here.

In my short, humble time as a GM I've learned a few things. Okay, I've learned A LOT of things. But the most significant of all is this:

No matter what you do, how much you plan, or what rules you follow, nothing tests your world like having it put into action. Nothing will test the quality of the fabric of your world like having a bunch of players prodding at it with burning torches and pitchforks.

This simple exercise will be aimed at getting you one step ahead of the game when it comes to world building. It is here *jabs flag into ground* that I will offer you allllll the annoying questions that you may very well get in your roleplay when your first wave of players come barreling in to see what's what.

You might think this is dumb. You might not.
    But I'll tell you this: when I had players asking me things like "what do the buildings of this town look like, and why?" I realized I hadn't developed the town. When I had players asking me "how long would it take to reach this place by foot or on horse back?" I realized I hadn't developed a scale of my continent. When I had a player ask me "can I use blood in place of water for my water magic?" I realized my players were crazy and I crawled into a hole for a bit. While I was in that hole, I realized I hadn't explored the extent of my mana system and its capabilities.

Let me be that crazy player.

Here's how it works!
    • You post your description of your setting or world or world mechanic.
    • I ask questions you aren't going to like.
    • You answer them.
    • You gain development points for your world! Yay you!

I will be posting another of these into the cultures and race section of the world development forums so look there if you have questions about race and culture, etc.

You'd be surprised what you don't know about your world until people start asking questions.
    Note: I encourage you all to ask each other questions about what's posted as well. After all, the more opinions offered, the better this whole thing becomes!

• NEW (and old) RULES:
    1. 1000 word maximium. I'll give you 150 words of leeway, because I understand word counts suck.
    2. First come first serve
    3. I will only offer up to a secondary response. (i.e. You post original, I ask questions, you answer, then I will respond once more.)
    4. Keep this to world building please! Try not to post too much regarding specific character development or anything else.
    5. Second submissions are fine, but you'll be put on a list like everyone else.
    6. I will only deal with one person at a time. This will prevent me from getting overwhelmed. This is also part of why I'm limiting it to a maximum of a secondary response.
    7. I love you all. Thank you for your worlds.

• Post by AsGryffynn

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ner0
Okay, a few questions because I decided to look over it and didn't want to forget my questions:

Why did Kar'et create dragons? A classic dragon makes no sense to he made by the earth God. They breathe fire and fly. That seems a lot more of air and fire than of earth. So what are your dragons like? And why are they like that? Can you justify why they were made by the earth God? Why did he decide to give them four legs? Why do they have scales? Why did he make them? What did they eat? Where did they live?

Okay I see now that the first dragons couldn't fly or breathe fire but my other questions remain.

Next question: how could the gods allow their beautiful creations to destroy each other? From my perspective it says something about their character: it says the gods are selfish, reactive, and care little for what they create. Is this what you want your gods to be like? If not, what reasoning would allow the draconic gods to just openly agree to let their creations slaughter each other?

Now, you say the lesser mortals simply evolved. Does this mean microbes were created by the gods and evolved from there? Did the gods just "notice" they evolved? And played no role in their existence? What did they eat? When did plant life form? When did animal life form? Is there no God with dominion over plants and animals?

Now, can the dragons breed? Can anything kill the dragons permanently? Which race won the war? How did they win? What effect did this war have on the humans? Did the gods actively usher the lesser races over to the new continent? What role do the gods play in regard to the lesser races?

Also: who is "calling" the gods these names? You say a few times "as they became known" and such. By whome are they known as such?

Why are there only three dragons left? Where are the others? Why didn't they resurrect? Why did the dragons fight each other in the first place? Out of peity to their gods?

Okay. Sorry. Lots of questions. I didn't expect to do a full questioning off the bat but I'm interested in your world. :)

• Love
Reactions: Ner0
@Soulserenity20

Do you have more questions for me or should I stop stealing your time? Or perhaps are you waiting for me to develop the world's story?

@Soulserenity20

Do you have more questions for me or should I stop stealing your time? Or perhaps are you waiting for me to develop the world's story?
Yes! I do! It's on my list at the top :P the response to Ner0 was planned :3

I'm only human! There were dragons! *hides*

*surfaces to hand out kale chips*

• Love
Reactions: Ner0
@Soulserenity20

I would like to hear the plot if you have any of it, btw. I know this is world building, but the rules are made to be bent ;) *dont tell Diana*

Yes! I do! It's on my list at the top :P the response to Ner0 was planned :3

I'm only human! There were dragons! *hides*

*surfaces to hand out kale chips*
Okay don't worry. It's just that that (ugh) was scratching the back of my brain :p

I would like to hear the plot if you have any of it, btw. I know this is world building, but the rules are made to be bent ;) *dont tell Diana*
I don't have any plots set so far. This world isn't for RPing, it's just that I'm an almost-full-time writer and I felt like I needed to a place to let some of my craziest ideas take form.

But I do have some plot concepts so far:
-A vampire wants to make the whole universe (I must give it a name, accepting suggestions) travel back in time in order to change the direction science/technology took. A group of heroes wants to stop him/her. (Heroic fantasy, not black and white though).

-A human from Euphoria travels to Chronos (comedy).

-Vampire mechanists have finally decided to strike Lupin in order to obtain its resources, but the resistance isn't what they expected.

-A hybrid dark/light elf is born (something I didn't know where to add in the doc is that it's impossible for this breed to be born, a female elf can't have a children with an elf of the opposite breed) announcing the incoming disaster. (Classic heroic fantasy. Black and white).

A caravan travels to Damascus when something goes wrong and they must try to make it out alive. (Survival, not horror though).

-A soul trapped in Limbo makes the untried attempt of escaping to a 'living' plane. (Adventure).

And much more.once I make up some magic, artifacts, super powerful beings, secrets of infinite power, etc ;3

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Soulserenity20
But as to the world's story itself, that's gonna be hard since there are 5 planes, which means I have to write 5 histories and then unite them :p

@Soulserenity20

Why did Kar'et create dragons?

This is directly tied to his personality as a god, He is the eldest of the Gods tied to the material plane, and as the eldest he has always looked up to The Father. This eventually manifested in him an urge to imitate his Father's work, but the power allotted to him was not enough to create a perfect immortal being. Hence the Elder Dragons were born. Long lived and powerful but not immortal.

A dragon makes no sense to be made by the earth God. They breathe fire and fly. That seems a lot more of air and fire than of earth. So what are your dragons like? And why are they like that? Can you justify why they were made by the earth God? Why did he decide to give them four legs? Why do they have scales? Why did he make them? What did they eat? Where did they live?

Okay I see now that the first dragons couldn't fly or breathe fire but my other questions remain.

I'll start with your second paragraph here. While they could not breath fire, they could fly. This is because The Father created the Earth while he was above it. So Kar'Et earliest memory is that of looking up to his Father. He gave the Dragons flight so they could reach the same heights as The Father. They were given four strong legs to connect them with the Earth and grant them comfort in its strength. They were given great scales to strengthen their bodies in order to better exist as what they were the creatures born of Earth. They found nutrients in the earth by being able to consume rock for nourishment. They lived close to Earth, preferring cave dwellings that brought them closer to their creator. (Fire dragons lived in Volcanos, and Air dragons slept upon the clouds. Both dragons kin found nitrient sources in their respective element as well.)

Next question: how could the gods allow their beautiful creations to destroy each other? From my perspective it says something about their character: it says the gods are selfish, reactive, and care little for what they create. Is this what you want your gods to be like? If not, what reasoning would allow the draconic gods to just openly agree to let their creations slaughter each other?

This revolves less around a lack of character and more around the level of naivety they had at the time. Immortals view time differently, the Gods were very young at this time. For this reason they understood little of the consequences such a thing would have on a mortal being. Their fervour to prove themselves right further blinded them and as a result almost all of dragon kind was slaughtered before they realized their mistakes. Of course each God dealt with this differently. Particularly Kar'Et vowed never to use mortals for his own ends again, as he felt true guilt in regards to his actions. Naer'Von didn't really care as She maintained a lack of compassion for mortal life (her only real motivation to create Fire dragons was to show up her siblings). Finally, Jemek'Ves does not understand death. He literally is the embodiment of freedom and living, so he could not feel guilt because he is incapable of understanding what it is he caused.

Now, you say the lesser mortals simply evolved. Does this mean microbes were created by the gods and evolved from there? Did the gods just "notice" they evolved? And played no role in their existence? What did they eat? When did plant life form? When did animal life form? Is there no God with dominion over plants and animals?

Yes, they did evolve. Just by existing the five gods on the material plane make life possible. This possibility allowed life to evolve but because the Gods did not directly imbue them with power and they were instead the result of the proper conditions for life being present, they lacked the power of Dragons and other High Mortals. However, after they gained sentience and asserted themselves from the rest of lesser mortal life, particular races (human, Orc, some others but they were pushed to extinction by the war of dragons) were guided by the gods. These races did follow a single God because they were not created by a single God, there for factions of these races formed under the different Gods and they continue to do this in present day.

Now, can the dragons breed? Can anything kill the dragons permanently? Which race won the war? How did they win? What effect did this war have on the humans? Did the gods actively usher the lesser races over to the new continent? What role do the gods play in regard to the lesser races?

The Dragons cannot breed, each dragon is made individually by their respective God. No race won. I mentioned this, but they fought until only a single dragon of each kind stood. (This was because, due to the nature of how Gods create things, there is a limit on the number of things they can create). Please refer to the humans as 'the lesser mortals' because they are a part of that larger group in this context. They were almost driven to extinction in the main continent, many of them were, in fact only Orc and Humans survived the war at all (other than those moves to Caertohma) The Gods chose a select group of each lesser mortal race, the group was selected by Gil'Malka primarily, so the process of selecting was pretty random. They then transported those groups to Caertohma, told them sternly to get along, and locked them up. Gods are extremely powerful, so 'poofing' large groups of mortals to different locations is well in the threshold of their power level. I answered this final question in my last paragraph, they are gods, but for the most part during this time they were thought of rarely by most of the gods (Gil'Malka is the exclusion to this because he is fascinated with lesser mortality and the process in which it develops.)

Also: who is "calling" the gods these names? You say a few times "as they became known" and such. By whome are they known as such?

The Lesser mortal races were the only ones able to look upon the gods objectively at this time, so they were the ones responsible for naming them. The names I gave were the ones most widely accepted, many other names were used which is why modern religions varies in the way they do. Goth, God of The Seas and Arina Maiden of the waves would both be Gil'Malka but remembered differently.

Why are there only three dragons left? Where are the others? Why didn't they resurrect? Why did the dragons fight each other in the first place? Out of peity to their gods?

Because the rest were killed during the war. I believe you misunderstand the way the resurrection works. They are able to redirect, because the power used to create every other dragon of their kind was infused within them. This allows them to resurrect with the perspective of one of the Dragons that lived before in an infinitely looping cycle, hence pseudo immortality. They fought each other because they were directly created by their Gods and were ordered to do so by their Gods. Gods used to exist with mortals in plain sight. This physical evidence of their creators drove the Dragons to extreme and blind loyalty.

Okay. Sorry. Lots of questions. I didn't expect to do a full questioning off the bat but I'm interested in your world. :)

The questions were fantastic, but not beyond my ability to answer. I can't wait to hear from you on the next age.

OuO Hello! If it's ok, I'd like to tell you some about one of my worlds. You ask really good questions from what I've seen in the thread, and I like that a lot. I'm currently running a group RP (OPEN SIGNUPS - CATALYST [OOC and Signups] (2 Spots Open)) set in this world, but I have much bigger and better plans for it. I actually started the RP because I wanted to basically playtest it to see how real people would interact with the world and so I could see what areas I would need to flesh out. So, this thread will be helpful on multiple levels! HERE WE GO:
9Ana9VC.png

In this world, there are three planes of reality: The Neutral Plane (where we live), the Chaotic Plane, and the Ordered Plane.

The Neutral Plane is made up of four Elements, which you're probably already pretty familiar with: Earth, Fire, Air, and Water. There are also certain Forces at work, which keep our Plane running smoothly. Two of these Forces are native to our plane. They are Eris, which encourages Growth, and Eros, which encourages Change. The other three forces that hold our Plane together leak through the barrier between our Plane and Chaos; they are: Magnetism, Gravity, and Electricity.

Due to Eris and Eros, things on our Plane are constantly growing, changing, and evolving. This means that our Elements are always in flux. When an Element becomes too abundant within a certain area, the barrier between Planes weakens, so that some of the excess Element can leak across to Chaos; but the barrier must be crossed both ways. So, when our Earth, Air, Fire, and Water cross the barrier, Magnetism, Gravity, and Electricity come back across in equal measure. [spoili]This is why there are thunderstorms. Too much Water accumulates in an area and is exchanged for Electricity.[/spoili] Sometimes, though, the barrier can weaken too much and allow other things to cross the barrier. This is the cause of most paranormal activity. Creatures from the Chaotic Plane sneak through the barrier while it is weak, and cause varying degrees of havoc.

The barrier between our Plane and the Ordered Plane is much more difficult to cross. That barrier can only be penetrated in the presence of Quintessence, which is a force generated when all four of our Elements are in harmony. This happens rarely, is generally confined to a very limited location, and is usually only for a very short window of time. Because of this, entities from Order only very rarely cross over into our Plane.

Here's a handy infographic:
9appA4x.png
The primary qualities of this plane and its entities (colloquially known as VICES), permeate every bit of the plane in some amount. There are primal, condensed essences of the Vices, but they have no form unless they are able to take possession of another entity. When corporeal, they are treated as leaders or royalty.

Hierarchically ordered, the Vices are:
- Wrath (The Beast)
- Greed (The Monarch)
- Pride (The Heir)
- Lust (The Duke)
- Gluttony (The Consul)
- Sloth (The Knight)
- Envy (The Concubine)
Creatures of Order passing through the planar border are responsible, in large part, for many "mystical" phenomena. They are often thought of as Angels, and tend to be passive and persuasive, as opposed to Chaotic aggression.
Like its opposing plane, Order also has embodiments of its essential qualities, known as Virtues. They behave in a similar fashion to the Vices, being infrequently corporeal.

Hierarchically ordered, the Virtues are:
- Clemency (The Savior)
- Liberality (The Benefactor)
- Humility (The Paragon)
- Prudence (The Child)
- Temperance (The Guardian)
- Diligence (The Page)
- Amenity (The Scholar)
As you may expect, Order and Chaos are at odds with one another. Both would like complete control of the planar universe. Order despises change, while Chaos desires it. Our Neutral Plane is in place to separate the two, and we require both in order for our universe to function properly.
Order attempts to gain control of our plane through coercing us into willingly accepting their control, whereas Chaos uses subterfuge or force.
So, we've already established that in our Plane, everything is made up of some combination of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water, with various forces acting upon them. The primary elements that something in our Plane is made up of determine its primary traits. On the other two Planes, the primary Vices or Virtues that something is beholden to determine its primary traits.

Because humans (and many animals) are made up, structurally speaking, of a pretty even balance of the elements, our traits are more heavily influenced by the seven astrological planets. That is, Sol, Mercury, Venus, Luna, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. There is also the Monas Hiroglyphica, which is a combination of all astrological planets. These planets, which effect people in various ways, have elemental connotations to them. They also correspond to various alchemical ingredients, as you can see in this chart:
KbFoMR1.png

This is important, because when entities from Order and Chaos come into our Plane, they can be ery dangerous. Luckily, the Vice or Virtue they are most strongly aligned with gives them a weakness to one of these alchemical catalysts, as shown below:
S0aSkFB.png

Chalk is a good all-around, multi-use catalyst because it's aligned with the Monas Hiroglyphica. These catalysts are very important tools for humans to use in fighting extra-planar entities.

That should do for a start, I think.

• Thank You
Reactions: Soulserenity20
@Soulserenity20

In the list a top reads
Go over Zackymas's newest info when it is presented
"When it is presented." So my previous answers aren't taken in consideration or did my explanations fulfill your doubts? (No sarcasm/aggressiveness intended, I'm actually asking this)

Also, Werewolves and Magic system (finally) added to the doc.

*Currently working on the Hapes and Vasalles*

Project Okami MkIII

Last edited by a moderator:
@Soulserenity20

In the list a top reads

"When it is presented." So my previous answers aren't taken in consideration or did my explanations fulfill your doubts? (No sarcasm/aggressiveness intended, I'm actually asking this)

Also, Werewolves and Magic system (finally) added to the doc.

*Currently working on the Hapes and Vasalles*

Project Okami MkIII
Lol! Of course they were considered! I either was satisfied, or missed the answer post when I was skimming to make that. If the latter, I would have caught it while going through the thread today :)

I ain't review races here. Those belong in the races thread. But I'll certainly go over the magic system since I love me some good mana :P anyways, I have the next three days off (including today) so I'll get lots done ^_^

Lol! Of course they were considered! I either was satisfied, or missed the answer post when I was skimming to make that. If the latter, I would have caught it while going through the thread today :)

I ain't review races here. Those belong in the races thread. But I'll certainly go over the magic system since I love me some good mana :P anyways, I have the next three days off (including today) so I'll get lots done ^_^
Okay then IMA throw the link over that thread once I finish writing the Vasalles.

When you read the magic system some suggestions would be appreciated, I feel lime there's something still that needs to be added, but I can't quite put my hands on it :p

religious definition by which planes of existence are simply different layers of the same reality (Physical, mental, spiritual).
Which religion defines planes as such? o_o
could define them as physical spaces that exist in different areas of the energy layer (universe, cosmos, etc.), what separates them is not physical distance, but spiritual/energy one within said layer. So let's say you have the best telescope ever created; doesn't matter how much you zoom, you can get to see the other plane (Because there's no physical distance in between).
You could or you are defining them as such?
Entering to the Galopes requires an extreme use of energy (both magical and physical) so not everyone can do it
So what form of energy are you referring to? And how does one attain a higher level of energy? What makes a person able to transverse the planes in the sense that they need high energy to do so?

Elves are the pure representation of their creators.
My question now is why do they have pointy ears? Why are they humanoids and not animals? What led the gods to create them looking like that instead of making then all jaguars with three tails? Why is an elf the manifestation of the gods' energy and why do they possess the traits that they do? Furthermore, why do elves represent two completely different energy sources. The darkness and the light are completely different and yet their physical manifestations are almost identical. Same body shape, same internal workings, etc. Why is this so?

Werewolves are protectors;
So, this is another race questoin that belongs in the race section, but whatever. I need to ask it :) Why were werewolves created? Are there even dogs/wolves in any of these realms? What on earth would lead the gods to create a wolf/human hybrid? Why did they decide to make a creature with fur, with jaws of that shape and eyes of that shape and put them on an upright being that is halfway between a human and a wolf (Which may not even exist)? If wolves do exist, who created them and why did the gods decide to make a human wold hybrid? Why not create something that doesn't need to eat? Why a werewolf?
energy to keep their bodies fresh, thus they must drink blood
Why do they need to drink blood for energy? Energy exists in the sunlight, and in all things around us. Why blood?
then they will gain an extreme amount of energy, but the other vampire will decay/die incredibly fast.
Why do they get more energy from vampires?
Then that vampire can turn others into vampires by drinking their blood.
How and why does this occur?

The rest is all quite clear. Looks like this was basically all related to race! :)

I wanted the story to start out as an epic fantasy adventure in the physical world, until the characters eventually made it to the realm of the gods and continued the story there. But the details on all that are hush hush for now, I don't want to give out any spoilers. :P
Very cool :) I love how youre using the tarot cards for the gods and the traits of the individuals. Very creative and unique.
Additionally, I was largely inspired by religions such as Hinduism and Shintoism, which don't have any sort of specific text that they're based off of
Actually I have to correct you here. Hinduism has the most vast collection of religious texts. The Vedas as the scriptures that the hindus follow but they have many more smrti and sruti texts. Everything from their great epics, the Mahabharata and the Ramanaya to the four books in the vedas, the paranas, and many more. I recommend you look into them if you want some good fuel for writing about the gods because hindu scripture has the gnarliest collection of godly adventures and tales. :) Shinto also religious texts. Here's a link to a really good site with english translations of them. Shinto Documents

you can also find the hindu texts on sacred texts :)

so that they can be used as mounts.
Are the dragons sentient/higher beings? If so, how do they feel about being ridden as mounts? What is the general relationship between the pyrians and these dragons?
I'd say their average wingspan is about 1.5 to 2 times their height
This wouldn't be large enough in the real world to hold up their weight. If a person weighed about 56 kg (124 lbs)their wings would need to be around 20 m long! What about your world mechanics makes up for this physics incongruence? Magic? Something else?
A person can only have one -- just because... that's the way it works
Lol I would try and work out a better explanation for this whenever you have time :)
:/ I'm not sure what this question is asking, specifically.

For general things, I go back to the Zelda comparison -- it's a sort of vaguely medieval, magic-filled world along the lines of Hyrule.
How big is it? Are there deserts? Where do each race live? How do you explain the "world as we know it" in the sense that... have people just accepted that they dont' know where their world ends? Do they not try to travel or explore? The zelda series always makes it appear as if there is more out there, but the storyline only takes us through settlements that are already established. Surely the gorons came from outside hyrule. So what about your world? How do you describe the world, the boundaries, the lay of the land, the regions, the countries. Are there countries? What is the political division like? Are there set borders? How are these borders controlled? What kinds of mountains and bodies of water are there? Are any specifically important? IF so, what are they and why are they important? How did they get their name?
Diana is said to be the source of insanity
the gods are said to interact with inhabitants of the physical world
Some of the gods also play an important role in death and the afterlife.
So here we have some interesting conflict between statements.

You say the gods are "said" to be this and that. My question is: what ARE they actually? Do they actually affect things? Or is this just IC religion where they developed a pantheon to explain their world? Because it's a very different thing between a religion of gods and the existence of gods. You say that the gods play a role in the after life. So on that same note: are they real or is this all religious?

Actually I have to correct you here. Hinduism has the most vast collection of religious texts. The Vedas as the scriptures that the hindus follow but they have many more smrti and sruti texts. Everything from their great epics, the Mahabharata and the Ramanaya to the four books in the vedas, the paranas, and many more. I recommend you look into them if you want some good fuel for writing about the gods because hindu scripture has the gnarliest collection of godly adventures and tales. :) Shinto also religious texts. Here's a link to a really good site with english translations of them. Shinto Documents

you can also find the hindu texts on sacred texts :)
Hmm. I suppose I was wrong, then. o.o I admit I'm certainly not an expert on either of these religions. ^^" Still, my point was that they aren't based off of any specific "holy book", such as the Bible, or Quran, etc. Would this still be an accurate comparison to make, in this case? Or would you suggest that I change it?

Are the dragons sentient/higher beings?
They are not. They are still basically animals. Some types of dragons are considered to be more "intelligent" than others, but only in the same way that we would consider some animals to be more intelligent than others. Sure, some species of animals can be surprisingly intelligent, but, in general, we wouldn't consider them to be on the same level as humans. Dragons are the same way.

If so, how do they feel about being ridden as mounts? What is the general relationship between the pyrians and these dragons?
They're riding animals in much the same way that horses are used as riding animals. They "feel" about the same way that horses feel about being ridden. :P

This wouldn't be large enough in the real world to hold up their weight. If a person weighed about 56 kg (124 lbs)their wings would need to be around 20 m long! What about your world mechanics makes up for this physics incongruence? Magic? Something else?
Eh. I could say magic, but I think I'm just a bit more likely to say "lenient physics"... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I suppose I could just say magic, if I'm feeling really pressed to.

How big is it? Are there deserts? Where do each race live? How do you explain the "world as we know it" in the sense that... have people just accepted that they dont' know where their world ends? Do they not try to travel or explore? The zelda series always makes it appear as if there is more out there, but the storyline only takes us through settlements that are already established. Surely the gorons came from outside hyrule. So what about your world? How do you describe the world, the boundaries, the lay of the land, the regions, the countries. Are there countries? What is the political division like? Are there set borders? How are these borders controlled? What kinds of mountains and bodies of water are there? Are any specifically important? IF so, what are they and why are they important? How did they get their name?
I admit I have much more to do with geography, still. I'll come back once I have a map and other things fleshed out.

As for political divisions, there are no human political divisions. There is just the kingdom of Altera. There are also demi-human civilizations, but they govern themselves more-or-less independently, despite technically being within the kingdom's "borders", for lack of a better term. Again, Zelda was my main source of inspiration for this -- the Gorons and Zoras seem to sort of have their own societies, even though they're still "in Hyrule".

As for not knowing what lies beyond -- yeah, some of them try to travel and explore, but they just haven't gotten all too far yet. Can't spread themselves too thin. I guess I'll try to work in some other natural barriers and things when I get around to map-making that would explain why they haven't progressed beyond certain points.

So here we have some interesting conflict between statements.

You say the gods are "said" to be this and that. My question is: what ARE they actually? Do they actually affect things? Or is this just IC religion where they developed a pantheon to explain their world? Because it's a very different thing between a religion of gods and the existence of gods. You say that the gods play a role in the after life. So on that same note: are they real or is this all religious?
The gods do definitely exist, and they'll play a major part in the RP, especially down the line. I continuously used "said" mostly for sake of immersion -- to get a better impression of the world based on their interpretation of all these things, rather than an all-knowing narrator going in and telling it like it is. It also implies that some people may have slightly different ideas about certain details, which is very true in regards to the religion of Altera. Just because a god exists doesn't mean every single person will be 100% on the same page about all the details of that god. This also provides some wiggle room in terms of what the characters decide they want their characters to believe. Sure, atheism is practically unheard of in Altera, but some characters may find themselves feeling slightly differently about a certain god than someone else.

It also provides a bit of mystery in terms of what the gods will actually be like. Just because the culture interprets them this way, doesn't mean the real things will be exactly like this. :P ...Of course, many of them will be pretty darn close to how I'm describing them now, but, you know, it still provides some mystery in the eyes of the player.

Also, I'd love for you to take a look at my blog posts about Altera if you could. It feels silly to work off of just the tiny amount of information that I provided in the OOC when I've made several significant info dumps since then. ^^" I currently have blog posts about magical beasts, magic in general, the pantheon, and some miscellaneous things about religion. I'd love to hear your feedback on those things -- as they're considerably more concrete than the info in the interest check, and it would be nice to know if I'm missing anything that I should clarify in the OOC. ^^ Oh, but I should mention that the info on religion is far from conclusive. So if it feels like there are some obvious world-building elements missing... there are. ^^" I'm just still working on writing it all up. o3o So much writing... @_@

Last edited:
Which religion defines planes as such? o_o
Esotericism. (And if it's not a religion then my bad ;^-^)

You could or you are defining them as such?
I am.

So what form of energy are you referring to? And how does one attain a higher level of energy? What makes a person able to transverse the planes in the sense that they need high energy to do so?

I'm talking about both stamina (physical energy) and something the other goes in the terms of mana. I didn't name it as such though (That's what I was referring to in the past post when I said I must name it).

For the sake of this post, I'm going to call it [mana-like] (open to suggestions). It's the energy that lies inside all beings, be living or not. (This part goes in hand with the vampire thing, so I'm gonna keep going with this there).

Obtaining more energy is something very dangerous (as seen with the vampire's Drinker's Syndrome), but there are indeed ways to make one's body capable of accepting more energy without negative repercussions. One way would be through the placement of artificial [mana-like] cells inside one's body, but I don't I have to state all the way that could go wrong (the surgery's sole chance of success is below 30%). Other way would simply be practicing the use of [mana-like], here would happen just like when someone works out, the body adapts to need more oxygen, it's the same concept. Yet other way would be the use of alchemy, some elixirs can temporarily increase the natural amount of [mana-like] in the body, this could attain consequences if used continuously.

The person doesn't need to 'have' high [mana-like], what they do need is to use high energy (How is this so it's explained in the Magic tab in the doc). Now why is all this [mana-like] needed? Because the Galopes is a conduit of [mana-like] thus those who wish to transverse must cover themselves in various layers of [mana-like].

My question now is why do they have pointy ears? Why are they humanoids and not animals? What led the gods to create them looking like that instead of making then all jaguars with three tails? Why is an elf the manifestation of the gods' energy and why do they possess the traits that they do? Furthermore, why do elves represent two completely different energy sources. The darkness and the light are completely different and yet their physical manifestations are almost identical. Same body shape, same internal workings, etc. Why is this so?

You've certainly placed me in a tight spot :p
I mean, the question could go the other way around ("Why three-tailed jaguars and not elves?") but I shall do my best to answer it :3

The humanoid shape it's the fittest for survival, thanks to all the things that allows us to do (looking at you thumbs). The Darkness wanted its creatures (dark elves) to be able to live long enough to feel despair before dying, thus it had to give them capabilities to defend themselves, but not to overpower the biome, capabilities that'd allow them to obtain whatever they need to survive, but not too be able to obtain all the resources.

The other two Titans saw this form was good enough to allow their sentient creations to have a 'full' and enjoyable life if placed in the correct ecosystem, so they used the same model. Elves are a manifestation of the Titans because they are their first living creations; both Titans wanted the creatures given such privilege to be the purest form of their [mana-like].

Pointy ears… The Darkness liked this (Don't ask me why, it's like asking why do I like sweets) I mean, it could the other way around ("Why not-pointy ears?"). The White Star wanted to make her creatures physically similar to the Darkness' to show that the difference was in their [mana-like], the only other thing she changed was the thorns and wings, adding the horns instead as a visible mark for others to know the light elf's current status. The wings were removed because they wouldn't need those in Atheneas.

Dark elves have wings. The Darkness saw this as a feature they'd need to survive. The Darkness wanted its creatures to artificially improve themselves, but in a way that'd be as a way of looking for survival; the thorns are a reminder of their desperate attempts for survival.

The White Star gave the horns to the light elves so others would know what the elf's current state in life is.

Are there even dogs/wolves in any of these realms?
Yes, canines exist in all realms (Most real life animals exist here, there are a few exceptions though). Be wary that different biomes have made said animals to be very different across different planes.
Why were werewolves created? What on earth would lead the gods to create a wolf/human hybrid? Why did they decide to make a creature with fur, with jaws of that shape and eyes of that shape and put them on an upright being that is halfway between a human and a wolf (Which may not even exist)? If wolves do exist, who created them and why did the gods decide to make a human wold hybrid?

This is answered both in the previous post and in the doc. [See werewolves tab].

Wolves were created by the Spectrum. Why? Balance, if there's something to be eaten then there must be someone to eat it. It's a never-ending cycle. Also, the Spectrum wanted to add its plane as varied as possible, thus it added a lot of animals and plants (see real world animals/plants).

Why not create something that doesn't need to eat? Why a werewolf?

What I said above answers this question.

Why do they need to drink blood for energy? Energy exists in the sunlight, and in all things around us. Why blood?

As explained in the doc [See Magic tab], all kinds of [mana-like] have a unique configuration code, vampires can't simply come and absorb [mana-like] from water because their body won't accept the configuration code; blood in the other hand, all living beings' blood has the same code, as vampires are technically living beings, their bodies have that same code.

Why do they get more energy from vampires?
Because as explained in the doc [see Vampires tab], what runs through a vampire's veins isn't blood, but [mana-like], thus when a vampire feeds on another vampire they aren't transforming blood into energy, they are obtaining directly.

How and why does this occur?

When a vampire feeds, some of their saliva enters into the victim's system. A vampire of the impure breed's saliva is basically a carrier. When it enters the system, it attacks the cells until making them as its own, eliminating the being's capability of acquiring energy from other sources besides blood. And as the being isn't a born-vampire, it becomes an impure breed.

Waiting for questions regarding the magic system :D

Huhuhu, these questions are definitely helping me out with my novel!

Hey guys: I have to go MIA on this for a bit since I currently do not have a working computer :\ I'll continue to update when I can

My sincerest apologies. Luckily, stories don't go anywhere :)

Hey guys: I have to go MIA on this for a bit since I currently do not have a working computer :\ I'll continue to update when I can

My sincerest apologies. Luckily, stories don't go anywhere :)
Aw :(
Hope everything turns out good :3

Who knows? I might get a new computer out of it! Lol