The Occupation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I had prepared for this kind of question, it still took me off guard and I ended up briefly choking on air. Clearing my throat eventually, I give a small shrug and sigh softly, "A job is a job...Herr Gahfurt. In mad times like these...you take whatever is available just so you can put food on the table." I force a smile onto my lips. It was partically true, whilst I took this job because of the Resistance needing someone to do so...it was also a way of making sure I survived. Even it meant being around those pigs at the office.

Rubbing the back of my neck, I glance in the direction of the block of flats I now reside in. It wasn't the prettiest, but luckily there wouldn't be anything suspicious in her flat for him to find. The Resistance didn't let her home meetings or keep any materials and documents there just in case she was some day searched. "I'm on the groundfloor. Did you want to come in for a drink? I'm afraid I don't have proper coffee anymore..."

"No, no I should get home myself." I say and keep wheeling along. "I'll see you at work tomorrow do be carful and have a good night." I say as I roll down the street and sigh. I hadn't wanted to bring it up tonight but I would in the morning when she got to work. It might be better I do it then. I didn't want to spoil such a lovely night.

Watching him head down the street, I rub my upper arm and pull my coat around myself further. It wasn't cold, but something seemed off with Herr Gahfurt...as if maybe he wasn't satisfied with my answer? Or maybe wanted to ask more? "Goodnight, Herr Gahfurt...safety to you too. See you in the morning." I eventually call after him, hands digging deep into the pockets of my coat before I turn and hurry inside.

The next morning was practically the same, except I had returned the dress to the girl whom I had borrowed from before leaving for work. My palms feel sweaty against the handlebars of my bike and I can't help but look around at my surroundings every so often. Being a resistance member working in the SS Shark Tank would be enough to make anyone paranoid, and now with Rommel's death...things were bound to become harder and worse.

Locking up my bicycle and entering the office, I immediately clock in and get to work. Facts and documents on Herr Gahfurt's desk along with his every morning coffee. Then back to the typewriter for the dissection of the new lots of documentation and information that arrived daily...all the while my gaze flickered to the door, waiting for Gahfurt to arrive.

I wander in slowly and roll towards my office. "Ana, my office now." I say with a harsher tone then I mean to. There was something I had to ask here and it was putting me on edge. I didn't want to ask her these things but the news came down the other day shortly after I had gotten home. I was under pressure and it was for the worst reason anyone could have to deal with.

At his words, my whole body felt like it was suddenly doused in cold water, dread settling deep into my bones. His tone was harsh, something wasn't used to from him. Had he found out about me? Or perhaps my brothers and now just auspects me? I swallow hard and push myself to my feet, leaving my work mid-sentence and brush out my skirt with shaking fingers. Entering his office, I shut the door behind me and hurriedly move to stand before his desk just between the two armchairs he had opposite him. "Is everything okay, sir? Was something not up to your standard with the notes? Or-or did I miss something out? I'll go fix it right away if-"

I put my hand up as I write a note down and slip it across the table, it has a small but bold sentence written across it. 'I don't care if you answer me honestly about this but do answer it right here and now. Then destroy this note.' That's what it says as she reads it I clear my throat. "We need to go over your papers. We believe we've a rat." I pull out her papers from my top desk draw. "I need you," I take a deep breath.

"I need you to answer me honestly right now. If you do that'll be the end of it and I'll defend you should it come up again later." I say slowly and then take another deep breath. "Is there anything you want to tell me. More so are you the rat?" I ask staring right at her hoping she'll say now.

Tensing at his question, I swallow thickly and keep my hands clasped tightly together, schooling my expression into a neutral yet confused one. They've finally figured it out then. Someone was leaking things and that was how so many of their arrests or attacks failed. But this...this rat. Was Gahfurt speaking about a rat as in for the resistance or a rat as in an actual spy sabotaging things for the Allies?

"I...I don't quite understand what you mean, sir." I finally answer, brow furrowing softly, "A rat? For whom? The resistances? The Allies? There can be so many different types of rats." I continue, studying him from where he sat behind his desk. But did he really expect me to inform him that I was indeed leaking information to the resistance? Besides, I was clever avout how I did my work. Made people see the work and passing it on to other officers before doubling back to ruin it later or send copies to the resistance later. "And I feel rather insulted that you would believe me to be this rat. Is it because of my French upbringing, Herr Gahfurt?'

"No it's because up until you got here things were going smoothly. Ana, I will repeat myself; answer me honestly and that will be the end of it. Are you selling or giving out info to any third parties?" I ask and give her a glance with a mixture of worry and care.

"If you answer me honsetly now weather it's yes or no that'll be the end of this." I say and only hope she'll be honest. If she said yes we'd discuss it further if she said no I'd leave it be. I liked Ana and if the rat was her I'd find a way to make it stick to someone else. I had enough friends and followers that if I tried to make it stick it would.

Whilst I liked the man, how could I trust him completely? How did I know that he would remain true to his word and keep me from being arrested? Or killed? It was tempting...especially now with the pressure of him knowing something was going on...but I couldn't trust anyone. Not even the resistance anymore.

Not to mention my brothers...what would my confession mean for them? They could be hunted down...and I couldn't do that to them, especially when they have a massive raid occurring tonight. Maybe I could write to them, code it, tell them I've been...compromised this evening and tell them to get sonewhere safe. Then I could confession to Herr Gahfurt...then at least I would be sure that the people I love would be safe. Shame that I wouldn't know that the raid would fail terribly until tomorrow, and that Gahfurt would be informed of my relation with two resistance members in Lyons. And that one was dead whilst the other was in SS custody.

I peer back up to Herr Gahfurt, briefly realizing what a shame it was that we both worked for opposite sides...that we wanted opposite things to happen. Meeting his gaze with a confidence I did not feel inside, I shake my head, "No, Herr Gahfurt." I murmur, holding his gaze for a little longer before dropping it again, "Am I now excused?"

"No, I am asking everyone and making sure your word is good enough for me. That's all I have more people to ask." I say and roll around towards the door. "Please just continue your work as you have been." I say and open the door for her. No one could guess how fast things were about to go to hell. Shit was going to hit the fan so fast.

Immediately I left to, as he said, continue with my work and carry on as normal. Whilst I may seem calm yet confused on the outside, my heart was pounding a mile a minute and my palms began to feel clammy once more. I had to inform the resistance of how dangerous this was. I should copy more documentation than 'lose' it or have other people 'lose' it. It was becoming too close for comfort. Something would need to change and fast.

Seven Hours Later

I slowly walk into the holding cell where a man whom I can only guess is Ana's brother. I slowly roll over and stop in front of the young man. "So, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your comrades." I say slowly and set a cup of coffee down in front of him. "It's a pity, I head you were very close to one of them. He was your brother as I understand it?" I ask taking a sip of my coffee I'd brought two one for me and one for him.

Ana's Home

"Frauline Ana I need you to come with me I am Major Elise of the SS, we have your brother already in holding and the charges are rather serious and we need you to come along quietly or their will be trouble." She says pulling a Luger from her side and pointing at her. "Now please come quietly." She flicks her Luger towards the waiting SS car on the street.

My blood freezes as I open the door to the SS woman before me, "My-my brother? But I...I don't understand..." I finally managed to choke out, wondering about Jakob and Hans. But she said it as singular...meaning that only the one was captured...did that mean that the other was free? "I haven't heard anything off my brother's in...in months..." I trail off as she points the gun toward me, immediately dropping the tea towel in my hands to raise them. "I'll-I'll come quietly. No need for violence." I next comment, fumbling for my key beside the door to close it behind me and lock it. I proceed to head toward, and then in, the car without a single word...to busy worrying about my brothers.

SS Integration Room 16 'Coffee Break'

I am surprised when a door opens and see Elise walk in. "Elise!" I stand and start to salute. "At east Henry, we brought something for you." I raise an eyebrow as she says this but soon enough I have to stop whoever she has thrown at me and I grab her and look at her. "Ana, wait don't tell me this is your brother?" I ask knowing the answer I dread is the one that's coming as Elise and several SS enter the room and shut the door.

I stumble awkwardly as the woman shoves me toward an all too familiar face. I paled as I glanced up to him, immediately ripping myself away and sharply looking around as the door shuts with Elise and other officers joining us. "I haven't heard from them in seven months. What're they doing here? What have they done?" I asked, bewildered, "Where are they? Where are my brothers? Please...they're-they're the only family I have left."

"One is dead." I say and the room gets very tense. "The other is in a holding cell as we figure out what the hell is going on. Ana my best advice is tell me the truth." I say and pull out my pipe slowly and with shaking hands. "Your brothers took part in a raid on the home of myself. They tried to kill me." I say slowly glancing up at her slowly. "I shot three rebels and then SS showed up and your brother refused to stand down so they shot him." I am slow as I say this my body shaking more and more as I do. I have had enough of this. All this death, I can't handle much more.

"And that's what happened." Elise takes over and I look away unable to meet Ana's eyes. "They tried to kill an officer of the SS and one of them died." She continues and gives Ana a demonic grin. "None the less as it stands your brother's life is hanging by a thread." Elise keeps going and I shudder. Elise 'Bittersweet' that's what she was called. Her harshness often went with my pleasantness. "Elise, stop." I say slowly. "What?" She looks at me and I look back at her.

"Leave, close the door now." I say and she nods maybe because she can hear the anger in my voice or maybe it's the fact I've never spoken to anyone like this. "Ana, how long have you been sending information to the Rebels." As she starts to open her mouth my anger rises. "Do not lie to me Ana! I know that you have, it's over now we all know the mole is you." I say and glare at her with a stare that could kill.

Dead. My one brother is dead. Is this kind of sick joke? They were having me on...this couldn't be true. It was at least a dream. "They tried to kill you?" I repeat in a whisper, voice barely that actually as I wrap my arms around myself tightly. I could barely concentrate on what this meant for myself...too busy worrying about my brothers...and strangely Henry. But I couldn't show that anxiety and care now...they wouldn't believe it to be real. All I could say was the truth.

I breath in sharply as the woman behind me continues talking, making me feel sick. I'm grateful as Henry gets her to hush and sends her out, my head hanging low and hands tightly twisting into my loose hair. I've lost a brother tonight. And am probably about to lose the other. And for what? To continue helping a resistance that kills just as much and probably just as gruesomely...that hasn't helped with locating her parents or kept her brothers safe!

I can't help but flinch as he finally yells before I could even utter a sound, keeping my gaze averted as his glare burns into me. "I just wanted to keep my brothers safe," I answer finally, quietly, unable to meet his eyes, "They're the only family I have left now. I have to keep them protected. If I could...change documents or lose information that would be vital to uncovering them or leading to the resistance in general...I could have my promises safely kept." I wince at the fact that it was just one massive lie the resistance told me. They were never really going to make sure my brothers were safe. Besides...my brothers were never going to make it easy for them to be kept safe. "But I promise...I promise on everything that I hold dear and love that I did not know about the attack on you. If-If I had...I would have changed it, have the whole thing invited. I wasn't told about any attack that would happen last night. I wouldn't have...allowed that to happen to you."

"Listen Ana, you need to be strong." I place an hand on her arm. "They are no doubting getting papers to send you to Auszwitch. I'm not going to let them." I say definece rising in my voice.

"I'm going to speak to Adolf and get us the hell out of here." I say and pay her arm. "I'm leaveing now, so be strong and just hold on tight. I will do my best to save you and your brother but I can make no promises." I say and roll to the door tap lightly then roll out as they go in to collect her.

There was no way they'd have been able to hear all that. The rooms were sound proof and there was no way to look in. I roll faster and faster. I know he's in town I'm the only one. He is here to look at one thing and I must get there and ask him to help. It's risky but I find myself thinking back to the time spent with Ana at the office and other places and I know I'm taking a risk worth it's value.

Reactions: Viverescribere
"B-but...but I can't. My parents. I need to gond them after all of this. People don't...don't survive that camp, Herr Gahfur. They go in but never come back out." I place my hand onto the table nearby to try and steady myself. This couldn't be happening. But what he says next makes me realize that there was no way back out of this now. He wanted to take this to Herr Hitler.

Hitler.

What good would that do? He would be on the bandwagon for sending me away. "It won't do any good," I mumble once he was finished, watching him roll to the door. I take a step after him, suddenly feeling incredibly nauseated at the idea of him leaving. Who knows what will happen once he leaves. What they'll do. "Herr Gahfurt, please don't go-!" But he is already gone and others are in his pace.

I press my trembling hands together as reality sets in and I stumble a few paces away from the door, from the two SS guards that come to drag me away. "No! Let me see my brother! Please! I beg of you! Let me see my brother!" I yell, deciding to fight against their holds so the harshness and pain of their grips weren't for nothing as they just laughed at my request.

Last edited:
Transport Area, 5:30 AM

It's several hours later and I'm rolling down the platform with three papers in hand. "Halt!" I scream out as I see struggling Ana her brother. "HALT, I said halt god damn it!" I roll up and wave my papers at the men holding them. "These two are in my charge as of this moment orders of the Furher himself. Less you want to be on that god damn train you'll hand these two over to me at once." I say and hand them the papers. The things I had to do over the years had been worth it for this moment.

"Uh, Ja. Herr these papers are in order here are the keys to their cuffs." They hand me a pair of keys and I look at Ana. "Be silent and follow me, you two are coming with me we've other plans for you." I say giving Ana a slight wink only hoping she gets my hint that this is an act.

Status
Not open for further replies.