The Mundane Scabbard

Status
Not open for further replies.
After leading Ennis along the streets for about ten minute, they stumbled across a quieter area. Picking the first inn he saw- The Silver Spoon- Arden stopped in front of the inn. "Here we are!" Arden declared, "The Silver Spoon. If you don't like the prices, I'll pay for you." The last comment was because Arden had just realized the area was quieter because it was higher class. Thankfully money didn't worry Arden- he had a heavy purse, and could always steal some more if need be.

Cahrin looked out the windows to see two woman walking into the inn. One of them was dressed like a sailor. He had been finding the women of the foreign lands disgraceful. They dress like men or even whores. Several times he wanted to scold several young woman for their uncouth appearance. He sighed. It was about time to ask a few questions. He was about to turn, but something in the distance caught his eye. A man in a dark cloak was standing far away. He seemed like a normal traveler, but the way he walked was strange like a hunter. The man was coming towards his direction. It was strange, but Cahrin dismissed it and went downstairs.

Ennis looked around the in, seemed quiet enough. "It's no trouble. I can pay for myself." She said as she took out a small pouch filled with what appeared to be coins. She walked to the counter, taking a deep breath and looking at the innkeeper. She felt her old awkwardness washing over her again. "O-one room, please. I'm here for t-the tournament." She said, voice and hands shaking as she placed the coins on the counter. She glanced at a man just coming downstairs.
"Of course, sign here Miss." the innkeeper said, handing her a ledger. Ennis signed her name, slowly. The innkeeper handed her a key and she scrambled away from the man.

Following suit, Arden said to the innkeeper, "Room for one, here for the tournament also." Arden threw a few coins from his wallet to the man, then signed the ledger just underneath Ennis. The innkeeper passed Arden a worn looking key, then Arden turned back to Ennis. "I suppose we better go up and check our ro-" Arden started, until he saw a terrifying sight. The creepy red-eyed guy Arden had been following earlier, was here. Arden stared at him, in disbelief, and almost gasped "You!" But, Arden for once managed to refrain himself. Disorientated, and looking like he'd seen a ghost, Arden continued, "our rooms, right?"

Cahrin looked at the sailor. Upon closer inspection, he realized this was no woman. Certainly the features were quite feminine. His eyes became slits as he heard what the sailor said. Cahrin could not remember seeing this foreigner. It didn't matter he passed them as they began walking upstairs. Cahrin had questions. He needed to acquire more information.

The innkeeper almost flinched as he saw Cahrin come closer. "Y-yes. Do you need anything, sir?" he spoke with a slight quiver. "I need to find a man from Yashin. He is known by the name of Keto I believe," Cahrin said calmly. The innkeeper seemed to think for a longer period. "I believe I know of one man that fits that description. Although I'm unsure if you want to speak with him." Cahrin eyes flashed in anger, "And why not?" The innkeeper's stature lowered even more, "H-he is currently held in the Duke Farin's dungeons. I believe he murdered someone." Cahrin sighed audibly. This was going to be much more troublesome than he thought. Caharin asked one more question, "Have you heard anything about black blades." The innkeeper straightened and his face seem to grow frightful, "Yes. I believe everyone has. They have been appearing all over the kingdoms. Most thinks they are coming from Incyria but from where no one knows. They seem to be quite powerful. Tools of great warfare and destruction. I've also been hearing terrible things have been happening by some killers and bandits. Brutal murders." He shuddered at the words. "I think the Duke even acquired some as well. Some of his champions are even in this tournament. Although I don't know if it should be allowed. The blades were always too frightening for my taste." Cahrin nodded as he heard, "Thank you for the information. Heres something for your troubles." He handed the innkeeper couple coins. The innkeeper brightened and changed his judgement slightly of Cahrin.

Cahrin turned away. He had much to do and now after hearing this he had even more than expected. With a serious expression he headed towards his room. A scream echoed through the inn. It was a high pitched thrill from a woman. Cahrin snapped his head towards the direction of the sound. "What in the gods!" A man with a cloak was standing over a woman. Blood was splattered across a wall. A limp figure of a woman was beside him. Underneath the hood, the man smiled in ecstasy. His blade was out and there wasn't a single drop of blood on it. It was as if the blade sucked away any. The man turned towards Cahrin. "It seems I've found quite the bounty. Time for some fun," his voice was low and mocking. The innkeeper was yelling for everyone run. The man walked slowly as if he had all the time in the world. Cahrin's red eyes gleamed with anger.

Ennis nodded at Arden and began walking towards the room number on the key. However, she stopped in her tracks when a bloodcurdling scream reached her ears. She quickly changed directions, running towards the source of the sound. She stopped, staring at the awful sight before her. Blood everywhere, a dead woman lying on the ground, and a hooded figure like something out of her nightmares. She heard the innkeeper yelling in the background. Ennis mumbled a small prayer under her breath. She watched as the hooded man walked closer and closer. She reached into her pocket, withdrawing her dagger and unwrapping the cloth she used for a makeshift sheath.

As if Arden hadn't been edgy enough, he heard a shocking scream from down the corridor. Racing towards the noise with Ennis, Arden hoped to the heavens nobody had died. Upon arrival, Arden could see it was otherwise. Blood spurted everywhere, like a fountain of red, from the woman lying dead on the ground. It almost made Arden sick, but past experiences had hardened his stomach.

Arden glanced around to see who else was at the scene. Their was the inn keeper, having a fit, not surprising with what had happened in his inn. The there was Ennis, who Arden had arrived with, who stood next to him. Alongside that, there was the red-eyed man, not somebody Arden was pleased to see. Arden might have assumed it had been he that had committed the crime, if the red-eyed man hadn't seemed so angry at some body even more menacing. The other, menacing, person was somebody in a pure black hood, wielding a bloodless blade. While there was no blood on their sword, it was obvious they had committed the crime, from their stance other the woman, and mocking smile. Then, the black figure approached.

Not wanting to end up in The Kingdom of the Dead anytime soon, Arden drew his new rapier. "Time to test the true worth of this blade," thought, eyes fixed on the approaching figure.

The man tilted his head as he saw two more come down. He smiled with crooked teeth, "Ahh... the entire group is here. Excellent. I don't have to go hunting for you two." He licked his lips. "This is going to be so much fun." In a moment the distance between them was closed. The man had a wild stature. His back was curved forward. His sword was low to the ground. His legs were bent. The entire look made him seem like a curled ball, but he was not. It was more like a snake uncoiling for a strike. The flash of black steel moved through the air. Cahrin didn't have time to react, but his stick was just barely in the right place to avoid a serious blow to the side. The man was laughing while madly swinging. Cahrin backed away, but the man didn't bother following. He moved to the next target, the man with a rapier. "I hope you know how to use that toothpick, boy!" The man mocked as he began his flurry of blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.