The Man With The Broken Dreams And A Cold Heart

B

Bane

Original poster
tumblr_maf1fv88jY1qgh1koo1_500.jpg

Jeriko or Bane as he liked to call himself, was a fan of Batman's villains, favoring Joker's view of the world and loving Bane's name and appearance. He adapted traits of both villains and of course mixed in a few of his own. Bane lived alone and for good reason. Today, his plan of torturing the city would be put into action. His first step wouldn't be so dangerous, but give him a few months and people would be begging for a death that would not come. Bane had some extreme reflexes and was leaning towards inhuman, but still attractive over all. If anything, he was a military kind of strong with knowledge he knew people would kill for.

Bane was seated in his basement with his newest invention, The Matter Manipulator. The Matter Manipulator could literally take matter and move it else where. The limit was the size of a full grown bear. Seeing as The Matter Manipulator was about the size of a shot gun, but it had a radius of twenty feet and a range of eight miles (as far as the eye can see).

Bane put on his face mask and neck collar that was in actuality a voice disguise. He wore a bullet proof vest and military style pants with combat boots. His shot gun and The Matter Manipulator occupied his hand and back. He didn't walk outside, but ran looking like nothing more than someone who worked for the military. After reaching the city plaza he struck his first civilian with the Matter Manipulator. He then aimed his invention at an unstable ledge and placed the civilian there, leaving them to dangle dangerously in the air.

"See how weak you people are. You're powerless to stop me, Bane! Look at yourselves cowering in fear before me." He paused and looked at the news reporter who seemed to be talking, "You, Shut up!"

Bane struck her too leaving her dangling from the telephone wires and they snapped using the building for support the reporter remained safe and unharmed. Police swarmed in like bugs to a light.
"You think those petty guns can stop me?" Bane said as The Matter Manipulator stripped the police of their guns and moving them five miles away from the area, "Snipers are second class."

Bane dumped sniper rounds from his hands, obviously having used his invention on the snipers.
"There's no hope and now what will you do?"

Bane walked away, "Don't move or I'll kill everyone here!"

No one followed him and he turned around only to see people running away. Bane returned safely to his home anonymous. He was known as Bane to the public, but Jeriko to everyone else. Jeriko then proceeded to his friend's house to watch the news. He had not bothered to buy a T.V seeing as though it was pointless. He just wanted to see what he looked like on television as "Bane". Jeriko was wearing a white tank top and tight leather pants and he stood at his friend's door giving it a hard knock, hoping she was home.

Kieara had just arrived home. She was bubbly, the opposite of her crazed best friend, but the opposite between them two made for a mesh that worked nicely. She had just changed out of her uniform from work into a pair of soft terry cloth shorts and a tank top. She hadn't had time to catch up on the news working on the other half of the city that he'd terrorized today, but she had no idea of the destruction he'd caused. Nor that it was him doing it.

She answered the door with a smile. "Hi Jeriko!" She spoke to him excited to see her friend. She moved aside to let him in. It wasn't a rare occurrence that he'd come over, or she'd go to his house to drop him off a bite of supper to eat on her way home from work. She was just an all around friendly person with a caring heart. She was understanding of others, perhaps a bit niave, but she tried not to be.

She had bright red hair, blue eyes, and a line of freckles over the bridge of her nose on her pale complexion. She was petite, but curvatious, a very pretty woman, and she rose toa height of 5'3. She had her nails painted purple, her favorite color, and also matching her toes, and the tank top she was currently wearing.

After Jeriko was in, she spoke. "How was your day Jeri?" She asked. A nickname she'd appointed him whether he took to it or not. She said it in a playful manner to him.

((I apologize for the shortness I was not sure how to bring her in.))

"I don't understand why you keep calling me that. You know I despise that nickname with every inch of my being. As for your question, my day was productive." Jeriko said, sitting down on her couch and turning on the news, "I hear the news has an interesting story today."

His face was completely expressionless, though on the inside he was excited. His introduction to the public. It wasn't a strong one, but soon they would all learn to fear the name, Bane. Jeriko was always cold and straightforward. He was hard to get along with, but once you understood his harsh language he was an okay person.

Jeriko watched the news all too intently. He actually pulled out a pencil and some paper to take notes. However, it wasn't like anyone could read his chicken scratch. He liked how the looks of fear were prevalent on everyone's faces. It only made him think of how weak the world was and how pointless it was. Everyday humans were damaging the world with their factories and trash. Jeriko himself recycled and even owned a compost. It was highly unlikely that any one besides him gave a damn about what was going on with the ozone layer.

Jeriko shook his head, "What a pitiful race we are."

His words were more or less mumbled and it would take a person to be right next to him to have heard what he said. Jeriko looked up in time to see his favorite part about the police and the snipers being utterly useless. He nearly laughed.

"That man is a hero." He said aloud more to himself than anything. He wondered what Kieara thought of this "Bane".

She giggled. "Because you're funny when you're annoyed." She spoke in response to his question about his nickname. Kieara watched as he moved straight past her and to the news. She rose a brow at her friends odd behaviour, but by now she was used to it. She closed the door behind her. She locked it as she always did. Living in a city wasn't the safest. She plopped down on the couch beside him. "Oh? What's the story about?" She asked turning her attention to it. She watched the news with him. She let her pink lips part a little as she watched. "Oh my gosh..." She spoke wathing all this go off. "You're taking notes?" she asked raising a brow again at his notepad he was furiously scrawling on. Course he always did seem so interested in current happenings that she didn't pay much mind to it. Especially since this news story was rather interesting in the fact that this "Bane" had advanced technology. Kieara did recycle, but she took her things to a recycling plant. There were just some ways that she wasn't sure how to recycle her items. She tried though. She looked back at him as she heard his comment on the race. "How can you say that...." she said softly. "We're not as good as we should be, and the majority is as you put it pitiful, but there are still the people out there who try for their world, their country." She told him.

"You and I both know that when I'm annoyed, it usually ends in me doing something completely outrageous and if you don't want to be short one friend I'd stop calling me that." Jeriko said sternly not looking away from the T.V, "Taking notes? More like recording one of the greatest revelations in history."

Jeriko snickered. He was being silly now.

"The question isn't how I can say it, but how I say it. And I say that phrase with meaning. It's truly what I believe. And I hardly doubt I will think otherwise. Besides there are also people out there who believing trying for their country is killing people for money. Have you even given the military a second glance?"

Jeriko rolled his eyes. He was still as cold as he remembered himself being. It was always good to know that he wasn't getting soft. After the story had ended, Jeriko prepared himself to leave.

"Well I must be going. I've things to attend to. Stay indoors and don't do anything that'll get you killed."

That was his normal way of saying goodbye and then he put his notebook away. Later he would use them for his research and improve his methods of torturing the city.

((Idea, maybe his rampages continues for awhile, but maybe he accidentily hurts Kieara in one of them and begins to feel guilty?))

Kieara listened to him and spoke. "There's still hope out there Jeriko." she told him. "You just have to have a special eye to see it." she said to him. She didn't say much a lot of times, but when she did it had meaning behind it. She spoke. "And if you really want me to stop calling you Jeri, I suppose I could." she spoke to him. The military she didn't agree with, but she'd been talking on a more inside the country basis. She sighed at his words and sudden departure and spoke to him. "Ok well, be careful Jeriko." She said getting up with him. "Oh, there's a cheeseburger in the kitchen I picked up on my way home from work if you want it." She said. She was used to either going to him, or him coming to her everyday, so she often brought food, or bought it for him.

"Hope my ass," Jeriko retorted back, "Special eye? Have you gone mad? As for the cheeseburger..."

Jeriko took the burger, taking a huge bite out of it. It wasn't his favorite thing in the world to eat, but he was hungry. Jeriko had the appetite of a rather large man, but managed to retain his muscular appearance through his own personal workouts. He snickered. Kieara was really telling him to be careful. Did she really know him at all? Jeriko walked out closing the door behind him and heading to his home.

He reviewed his notes and realized that he would need more publicity and to do that, it would be necessary to put more people at risk of finding death. Jeriko nodded after coming to this conclusion and set to work on yet another one of his inventions in the basement. He never allowed anyone down here for obvious reasons. And anyone who tried to go down there without his permission found themselves with a very unhappy Jeriko and short one friend. Jeriko didn't ask people for much, but if he did ask for something, it was usually for their safety or his.

Jeriko worked well into the evening the hours changing to midnight rather quickly, but alas he had finished his project and would put in action along with his previous invention The Matter Manipulator. He could feel himself becoming more dangerous with every invention and he was liking it. He was going to prove to the world that humans were pitiful and that there was no way he could be stopped. Jeriko would squeeze out every last bit of hope and only then would he permit them to die.

He slept with this thought on his mind and wondered if Kieara had planned on visiting him the next morning. However, it was a matter he could have cared less about.

Kieara sighed at her friend's mean remarks. She was used to it by now but she still felt a little hurt when he said things like that to her. In the end though she knew that was just how Jeriko was. It was his nature. As well as hers was to be sweet and compassionate his was to make smart remarks and barbs that would often hurt someone's feelings.

She simply didn't want him to get caught up with this "Bane" fellow. He seemed like he was rather dangerous. Little did she know the very man she was tying to protect her friend from was the very friend on question. She always respected his boundaries and if he told her not to do something she usually didn't.

She fell asleep in bed that night. Then she woke the next morning and reported in to work. She worked as a secretary in a local office firm. She was content with her job no matter how trivial. She was sitting behind her desk typing away.

Kieara sighed at her friend's mean remarks. She was used to it by now but she still felt a little hurt when he said things like that to her. In the end though she knew that was just how Jeriko was. It was his nature. As well as hers was to be sweet and compassionate his was to make smart remarks and barbs that would often hurt someone's feelings.

She simply didn't want him to get caught up with this "Bane" fellow. He seemed like he was rather dangerous. Little did she know the very man she was tying to protect her friend from was the very friend on question. She always respected his boundaries and if he told her not to do something she usually didn't.

She fell asleep in bed that night. Then she woke the next morning and reported in to work. She worked as a secretary in a local office firm. She was content with her job no matter how trivial. She was sitting behind her desk typing away.

Since Jeriko's friend did not visit him the following morning, he set to work on a new terrorizing tactic. There were many ways to control the minds of the people and what better way to do that then the media. He was going to call his newest plan, The Weakness of the Human Mind. All he had to do was find to angry people and give them means to destroy each other and Jeriko had the perfect people in mind. Who better than the prison house and the people who put them there, the government.

Over night, Jeriko had planted fake bombs in two places. About five were located under the government building and the other five were located under the prison. He gave the detonators to two people. One was a prisoner who had been sentenced to life in prison who claimed to be innocent. While the other was someone who believed that many of the prisoners should have gotten the death penalty.

Jeriko dressed as "Bane" and headed towards an abandoned apartment building where he took control of the Radio broadcasts. His voice was disguised and he sounded more sinister than yesterday.

"Hello again, people of New York City. It's your lovely friend Bane! I've come to share some shocking news. You see, I've planted bombs underneath the prison and the government house. I gave a senator and world class criminal the detonator to the bombs. They will decide who dies and who lives, but they must choose. For you see, I will blow up both places at twelve o'clock. If any of them try to escape, I will blow up your respective location and the statue of liberty. By the way, it's eleven fifty-five.

Bane laughed manically as heard himself on the radio. He tuned in to his own broadcast of both the prison and the government house.

"Blow up those stuck up rich folks. We'll all be free!" An inmate said excitedly.
"They've had their chance to be civil, blow up the prison Johnson!" A senator yelled.

Bane shook his head. These people were merely proving his point. The human race was hopeless.

"You have three minutes left." Bane said tauntingly.

Kieara was watching the occurrence on the news. The office manager came in in a panic dismissing them to get out of the city. He told them if they were smart they'd flee and not return. Kiearas first thought was about Jeriko. She had to get to him and make sure he was safe.

She gathered her things quickly and left out. She ran down the street among the panic looking for him. She wanted her friend to be safe. She checked his home first to no avail. She then thought maybe he was at her place. She ran back to her flat and checked also to no success. It was unusual in her eyes. He didn't just disappear like that.

Wait, that old apartment building. She remembered he visited there often. She'd seen him going in and out. However, she never knew his reasons as to why he visited there. She ran off in that direction and headed inside. "Jeriko!?" She called out.

Kieara was watching the occurrence on the news. The office manager came in in a panic dismissing them to get out of the city. He told them if they were smart they'd flee and not return. Kiearas first thought was about Jeriko. She had to get to him and make sure he was safe.

She gathered her things quickly and left out. She ran down the street among the panic looking for him. She wanted her friend to be safe. She checked his home first to no avail. She then thought maybe he was at her place. She ran back to her flat and checked also to no success. It was unusual in her eyes. He didn't just disappear like that.

Kieara ran downtown thinking he might've had to do some shopping or something of the sort. The chances were slim to none she'd see him but there was a chance. She couldn't just hang around and let him get blown up.

((sorry its not much of a transition, but it changed the part I believe you were referring to yes?))

Bane was not expecting anyone to be looking for him. In fact, he had no business being in prison and he hated the government so he wouldn't dare go the house, so if anything, no one would have any leads as to where he was. He listened in more closely as the minutes turned into seconds. Each side would be more than happy to blow up the other and the government had its hand on the trigger ready to press it. And the people at the jail cell were in the same position. He laughed, if he had planted real bombs, they would have both been blown up.

"You see what happens when you give someone the choice of their life and someone else's. You're all so selfish so inconsiderate, so heartless, so cruel. I've decided to blow you both up!" Bane laughed manically before pressing a detonator. All that could be heard was a series of laughs and the sound of alarms going off, but no actual explosion. Bane had finished his work and he removed his farce clothing before heading in the direction of the nearest T.V which in this case was the T.V store. All starring the government and prison.

It seemed to be an eye opener for the public. And he smiled to himself.
"Jeriko, you really have to meet this guy." He laughed at his poorly won joke.

Kieara gasped hearing the alarms go off. She hadn't been looking for him at those places because she expected him there, but because if he was anywhere near then he was in the line of fire. She thought now it was too late. She couldn't find him, but no explosions came. Were they duds? Did he do something wrong? She felt panicked as she headed back home only to see Jeriko as she was passing the TV store.

"Jeriko!" She spoke going over to her friend. "I was worried sick about you, I couldn't find you and I was scared you were going to be blown up..." She said to him worriedly. The poor girl shook a little bit from the nerves of it all. she'd been genuinely concerned about his safety. She looked him up and down instinctively searching him for injury. She found none.

"Do me a favor Kieara... and stop worrying. It's not in the least bit attractive." Jeriko said with a smirk.

He didn't care that she was shaking in the least. Jeriko wasn't concerned about anyone's safety, not even his own. There was no reason to be. He was only proving himself right about his views on the public as a whole. Jeriko thought everyone was sick and was always trying to stay one step ahead. It was another way to die in his opinion. And since no one could hear the Earth's cries for help, Jeriko would show them what was going on. He watched the television screen with great interest and noticed that he personally had not appeared on screen, but the people inside the prison and the government house had gotten all the attention he had hoped for.

He looked around at the people nearby gasping at was being said by both respective victims. Jeriko found it ironic that they could be so appalled when they would have done the same thing, had it been them in their position, but that was okay. This was the response he was looking for, but still he had not truly gotten their attention and he would to try something even more daring, but something that hit home and made them see what was going on in the world.

"I really have to meet that guy," Jeriko said aloud to himself, smiling at the handiwork that had been done, "The government is sick and he completely exposed that without killing a soul... Truly a genius."

Kieara looked to Jeriko as she got yet another sarcastic response. She'd only been looking out for him. It hurt her feelings, as usual, but she once again ignored it to the best of her ability. She tried to calm herself as a long silence passed between the two of them. She followed his gaze to the television screen that was before them stating what the people shining on them were saying. She listened along until Jeriko spoke. She turned to him then. She thought this "Bane's" methods were a little unorthadox, but.....Jeriko was right.

"You're kinda right...." She said. She didn't approve of the methods that were taken, but he was right. Bane had exposed them without taking a life. She spoke again. "But at what cost? Fracturing the city's sense of security? He had the whole city in a panic...."

"Okay then, I'm curious to know, how else would you expose a person's true feelings? Everyone knows that when pressure is involved... the real person is revealed." Jeriko said shaking his head, "I'm hungry, let's go eat something..."

Jeriko thought that Kieara's argument against Bane's methods had been a rather weak one. There were worst sacrifices being taken everyday by the government. Kieara would be crazy to think that what Bane was doing was any different from the government. Had she not seen the security checks? The war? That costs several hundred lives a day and she's questioning Bane's costs. Jeriko would have liked to think that Bane was doing this rather cheaply. Had he not made enough emphasis on the fact that Bane had not taken a single life. It was all just so astounding. The human race... There was no hope for it. Every day they are creating more ways to kill each other and it's just sad.

Jeriko's stomach growled and he looked for the nearest chinese restaurant. He liked Chinese food.

Kieara sighed and looked down. She knew it would only be a matter of time until people began to take rash measures to get away from Bane's stunts. Especially if the stunts continued on like they were. As extreme as they were.

She didn't repspond to his words, but she did to his last statement about seeking out food. She smiled weakly trying to shake the Bane character from her mind. She wanted to relax a bit and just enjoy some chinese food with her friend. She took his hand and began to lead him off. "There is a chinese place two blocks up and their rice patties are to die for." She smiled.

Jeriko raised and an eyebrow and took his hand away from hers. "We aren't kids anymore! I don't know what on earth compels you to do things like that. It just irritates me."

Jeriko shook his head. Kieara was just trying to get under his skin these days. He followed her anyways his stomach growling up a storm. The logic of why she even put up with him was beyond Jeriko. He was a cold-hearted and mean person. In fact, Jeriko was just hard to be around in the first place because of his unwelcoming muscular appearance. Sure he was good looking, but that attracted women he was more or less uninterested in, meaningless to say, he still looked. Jeriko turned his head as an African-American woman with long hair and a rock star type of style walked down the street. Now THAT definitely caught his attention, but the woman had not so much as given Jeriko a second glance and continued walking in her studded and buckled black boots.

Jeriko turned around to face the front again, still following Kieara closely as to not lose sight of her.

Kieara blinked and frowned as she stepped back from him and he yanked his hand from hers. "I just didn't want you to get lost from me....After the Bane thing everyones in a tizzy...I just....nevermind..." She said and continued on knowing he'd follow.

Kieara wasn't looking for a heart breaker, she wasn't looking for the best looking man in the world, she was just looking for someone to call a friend and a partner. Someone she could love. She didn't know why she did stay around Jeriko like she did. HE was mean to her, hard to deal with, her total opposite, but also her friend. And even though she annoyed him, he for some reason stuck with her too. She didn't have a lot to offer. She was a beautiful young woman, but that didn't mean anything these days, but she did offer something to him that those other women never would, a kind, caring person always willing to listen and willing to do anything to help her fellow human. Especially those close to her like Jeriko. If he'd open his eyes, he'd see that what he said every human being lacked, he'd find it in Kieara. Though she knew it would never happen, sometimes she wished he'd see that. For some reason she strived to make him proud. She did all she could to try to recycle everything and to help people. He never noticed though. She was a timid girl who'd been hurt a lot. That didn't allow for much self esteem to grow. In all, she was a person who was weak willed, a pushover, and all in all useless in her eyes. Sometimes though she wanted nothing more than to be loved.

She offered a weak smile as they got there. She turned to him to see he'd followed. "HEre we are." She said and walked in. A male chinese waiter saw them and smiled. "ah, Kieara!" He said happily. "Hi Lee." She said smiling as he led her to her favorite table by the window. "The usual for you?" She nodded and he glanced to Jeriko. "And what can I get you sir?" He asked in a friendly manner.