The Life of Bands

"Oh, is that it?" Evan did not care for her aggressive attitude. He wasn't one to get angry at many things, and was understanding considering what he asked. "Well, I guess I will have to talk to him. Never saw Dex as a clinger. I'll let him know to leave you alone. Have a nice evening Rina, and congratulations on today." Evan tried using reverse psychology on Rina. He knew what she said couldn't have been completely true, because he knew Dex too damn well. He started off, seeing Dex by a tree.

Ty was by now out of the pool and over by Dex as well. They were chatting and before Evan could reach them they both ran off. He thought it must have been something Ty wanted Dex to see. Dex had left his notebook under the tree without even realizing. Evan walked over and grabbed it. Once again arguing with himself mentally not to, he opened the notebook to the newest page. What he saw was enough to know how Dex felt about Rina. He knew Dex didn't just write song lyrics in there because he kept it so private. Evan just smiled and set it back down, as to think Dex would soon return for it. He didn't want to get caught. Last thing he needs is for his brother to once again get angry with him. He looked back at Rina, smiled and laughed to himself. Then walked away towards the bar to check on Bentley.

She knew she'd been a complete bitch, but what was done was done. She couldn't allow herself to be weak, particularly not now. There was so much at stake, it was the bands future, and she just would not contemplate getting caught up in this. Rina watched Evan, also spotting Dex nearby, and of course noting that Evan had picked something up, then left it lying on the ground. As usual, it was curiosity that killed the cat, and so Rina hopped out of the pool, wrapping a towel around her waist and heading towards the object.

Surprisingly, Rina didn't immediately pick it up, instead sitting down at the base of the tree. It was getting quieter now, most people were heading off for the party now that it was getting dark. And after a few minutes, Rina did start to look through it, hating herself for doing it, although a part of her was hoping that she would be caught. If Dex would just hate her again, maybe she'd be able to hate him back. That would be so much easier.

It took awhile before Dex noticed he didn't have his notebook, he felt stupid for taking as long as he did." Hey, Ty I forgot something by that tree. I'll see you at the party." Ty nodded and Dex was off. As he approached he saw what he wished his eyes didn't. There sat Rina with his own notebook. He paused and hope she didn't see him. At the same time he wished she did so she stopped. He prayed that she didn't get to his newest entry. he poured his heart out to it. He remembered it perfectly. There in the notebook written:

I am so confused. It seems like my life has taken a hold until this is resolved. I want to tell her everything. There is too much to say. She is beautiful. Not the beautiful that you'd say to a girl who you thought looked cute. No, she has pacified me. I sound like a poet but it's the only way I can confess it. Everything about her is perfect. When I stared in her eyes yesterday, although the moment was bad, I felt safe. It sounds weird but it's true. I can't help it but think about her. She is everything I've looked for. Funny how I've never noticed it in the past. The time we talked on the balcony was all I needed to ensure my feelings were true. I really sound pathetic right now. Rina is an amazing musician and she is just a beautiful as she plays. Nothing I try can not make me think about her. I know that's why I sang so well today. Those blue eyes are enough to make me crumble. I know for sure her personality is more than it may seem from our interactions too. She is a kind, thoughtful person with good intent. That's why I think she has acted like this, for her band. I mean look what happened to me. We almost didn't make it. I need to tell her something, anything. I'm to afraid. Afraid of rejection which looks so clear right now. I should just ignore these feelings. God she is amazing.

That was all he could write before Ty had arrived. His heart sank though as she read on. Trying to play dumb he spoke softly. "Uh hey, do you see a notebook anywhere around?" He was at an angle that it was believable that he didn't see her reading.

Rina had been flicking idly through the notebook, feeling pretty terrible for doing it, but equally unable to stop. Most people, when confronted with something as personal as this just had to have a peek, and then they just kept on going. That was what had happened here. Rina did reach the final entry, not managing the whole thing before Dex spoke, but it was enough. It was blindingly obvious that his feelings were genuine, and now that she knew, that just made things all the more difficult.

When Dex spoke up, Rina hastily stood, snapping the notebook shut just as quickly. "Here. I...I'm sorry. I saw it lying here and I...well I was curious. Shit. Just take it, okay? Pretend this never happened." Rina held the book out to him, actually blushing for once. She was rarely embarrassed enough for that, and here she was, bright red. And she knew that no one would be doing any selective forgetting. It was obvious in her tone that she was not offended by what was written, though she was trying to stave it off, rather than risk a messy bearing of feelings.

Dex took the notebook from her and put it at his side. "I'm going to save you the trouble of getting mad again. I've already made myself a fool. I'll pretend this didn't happen." He walked by and his eyes showed defeat, "I should be sorry, not you." He started walking back to the hotel to put his notebook away. He wasn't angry at her, far from it. he was angry at himself. Why did he have to fall for her? And the reaction she gave could have meant anything, but why waste time trying to find out? It would only mean being distracted from the competition.

He walked inside and hit the elevator button which was on the top floor. He smashed one hand up against the wall in anger and put his forehead against it as well. He needed to think but there was no where to go. No time. Dex couldn't just not show at the party. But no surprise to him he only thought of Rina. As angry as he was, he thought still of how beautiful she looked. "She is cute when she blushes." He thought to himself. No. What are you doing? Forget about her! You have to. And so continued the endless argument in his head.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid." Rina growled at herself, hitting her head against the tree every time she said it. She was pretty angry with herself. After standing there, totally dumbfounded, just watching Dex go, she had nothing to do but reprimand herself. The worse she caused the situation to become, the more she wanted to fix it, to run after him, to be honest with him, and herself for that matter. It wasn't fair. It probably would have been easier to fall for one of her bandmates. Yeah, even that would have been simpler than this.

As it was, Rina gave up on headbutting the tree after a while, instead heading up to her room to get ready for the party. She was sure the boys were already there and having a whale of a time. She would make an appearance, circulate a bit, and then leave. She was in no mood to be in public. Instead she'd probably just return to her room and brood. Or sulk, if the mood took her. As she headed up, she muttered to herself, "Dex, you should have been a bastard. Why'd you have to go and be so damn charming?" By now she was starting to be really honest with herself, slowly allowing herself to feel the truth. She was falling head over heels for Dex, no matter what the consequences.

Dex showered again and put on a nice black shirt with some jeans. He did his hair so it fell over his eyes a bit. After he was sure he was done being a girl about his looks, he left his room and headed down to the party. He was still quite angry in himself and as he walked over to the party he remained quiet and kept the same emotionless look in his eyes. Why was he even going. he didn't need to be around a bunch of happy people. That just sounds awful, but he believed it to be true.

He stood around as the music blared and people danced and sang along. He took a small glass of whiskey that was available and sipped it slowly. He could have easily just drank his problems away but that wasn't him. Eventually Evan spotted him and walked over. "Hey I talked to Rina earlier, and-" "No, don't. Please just don't." A sad expression flew over Evan's face, which was rare. "Dex, it'll be alright. Isn't it always? Just enjoy yourself. C'mon no point in kicking yourself. If it was meant to be, it would be, right?" Dex looked at him with a smirk. "Ya, but I wish it would be Evan." Evan smiled reassuringly, "I know, you'll be fine lil bro." Evan was always one to make Dex feel at least half decent about himself. Dex finished his drink and walked with Evan who found Ty and Bentley and they talked and joked around.

When Rina eventually headed out to the party, she made a beeline for her boys, hugging each of them tightly. They were a bit surprised at this little display of slightly needy affection, but none of them minded, of course. Although they were all roughly the same age, Rina would always be the baby of the group. Being female, the boys always felt protective of her, even when it was quite clear that she was an adult, capable of caring for herself.

Tonight she was wearing a dress for a change, lightweight and floral. It was terribly girly, not necessarily something many people would see Rina wear. But it was comfortable, and that was the main thing. She and the boys talked for a time, speaking about the other bands, some of the judges and various idols they had met. It was a good time, but still Rina made her exit early. She stayed for perhaps an hour, before traipsing back to the elevators, this time with a plan of action in mind.

Rina went two floors further up than her own room, having to take a guess at which room belonged to Voices and Vessels. Once she had taken her pick, she sat herself outside the door, determined to wait this out and actually bother to speak her mind. She had considered writing a note, but that was just cowardly. She was going to say what she had to say, and that was that.

Dex and Evan walked back to their room together, talking about a random assortment of things. They headed up the elevator and Evan was the first to walk out. He noticed Rina sitting there and shot back in the elevator quickly. "Oh, shit, I forgot my uh phone back at the party!" Dex was puzzled. "I'll come help you look for it." "No, no that's fine Dex thanks though. Just go on ahead. Ha, we are very forgetful today you and I." Dex once again was puzzled then realized that Evan must have seen his notebook. "Hey, did you-" Evan pushed him from the elevator and made sure it closed quickly. Before Dex could start yelling he turned and saw Rina sitting by his door.

He froze up and thought maybe it was an illusion. As he walked closer he realized it wasn't, and any thought of Evan or being mad at him flew out the window. He walked closer staring at her the entire time. What was she doing. He had hoped that this wasn't going to be bad. Why hope for that anymore though, every encounter, every word they two shared was always the opposite of good. The only time they were nice was when the two had no idea it was in fact themselves they were addressing. Like and idiot, the first thing Dex said was, "Rina?"

She had been doxing for a little while, and it took her a moment to realise that when someone said 'Rina' she actually did need to respond. However, once she was fully awake, she looked up at Dex, frowned a bit, then finally managed a shy smile. Awkwardly, she stood up, nervously running her fingers through her hair, just needing to do something with her hands while she blurted out the truth like an idiot. "So, here goes..." She murmured, looking at the wall, the ceiling, anything but Dex, "I really don't hate you. I'd really like to, but I don't. The more I try to, the more I go the other way. Y'know, I'm kind of...well, uh...sort of falling for you." All that was a total mess, but that was what honesty so often had to be in order to make it to the surface. Rina was blushing again, and at the end of her muddled little confession, she did finally make eye contact, thought she was extremely hesitant to do so.

This had to be a dream. Really, it had to. There was no way Rina just said those words. Dex took a second the adjust to the situation. The look in her eyes when she finally stared was too much for him. Girls had always told Dex how cute he was or something along those lines, yet he never blushed or took it to heart. However, for the first time in forever, Dex blushed until he thought he looked like he had severe sun burn. He face was hot. "I-" Enough was enough, he had to be honest, she was and backing down would ruin everything. "Rina I-" Suddenly a scream was heard as Ty and Bentley stormed threw the halls. Dex turned and looked at them as if he would commit a double homicide right then and there. The two finally noticed Dex and Rina and became quiet. "Dex! Hey man what's up? And uh hey there...Rina" Bentley spoke as if she was the last person he expected to be there. Soon after Evan ran up from the stairs, out of breathe. "Guys, I told you to stay the hell down sta-" Once he noticed the situation, the only thing he could mumble was, "...fuck"

Rina was rapidly coming to the false conclusion that she had misread the signs, even made up the words in the notebook. She reckoned that none of what Dex seemed to feel was real, and now she'd just made a fool of herself. As she waited for a reply, something, anything, she continued looking directly at Dex, admiring how he managed to at least seem in control and safe, even when he was blushing as red as a fire engine. She doubted the same could be said for her.

Unfortunately, just as something was about to be said, the two boisterous boys flew into the hall, immediately snapping the tension like a twig, causing Rina to come down from the heady emotion she had been feeling, replacing it immediately with anguish and embarrassment. "I'm sorry. I'll go." And she fled, taking the stairs this time, not wanting to have to wait for the elevator doors to close. With the encounter not completed, Rina of course second guessed herself, her feelings, and those of Dex. The situation seemed worse than ever.

"You better hope your size saves you from this Bentley." Dex started after him with full intent to hurt him. Evan rushed over and held Dex back. "Woah, bro, hold on. They didn't know. It's my fault I tried keeping them downstairs but their drunk." Ty and Bentley just stood in confusion. "What's the problem?" Ty asked confused. Dex then turned around and walked into their room slamming the door. He was beyond pissed. He had his moment with Rina. The moment the confess their feelings and his idiot bandmates crushed it. He fled to the balcony. He wanted to scream at the top of his lungs but refrained. Evan and the others entered the room shortly after.

They did not say a word to Dex but instead let him be. Dex was flooding with emotions. He was angry, sad, disappointed. He felt like his heart was ripped out of his chest and stomped on. He had no idea what to do. Going to Rina was no good because she probably wouldn't have it. He then finally thought of an idea, but it was incredibly stupid. Perhaps he would stop at Rina's room later in the night, when everyone was clam and most asleep. Already on this plan of action, he thought it would be best to take the extreme path. He would climb down the balconies to her room. He knew which one is was from the other night. For now, however, he say in a chair and sulked. He was a wreck, once again.

Rina made it to her room without falling over, which surprised her quite a bit. She was actually crying, she never cried. She was usually so strong, but this week was getting to her. Oh, who was she kidding? Dex was getting to her. For what seemed like hours, she sat there sobbing, finally managing to get the frustration, confusion and general sadness out of her body, at least enough to function again. Rina changed into shorts and tanktop, climbing into bed and of course laying awake. She was tired beyond measure, but she wasn't fool enough to think she would sleep. The silence was crushing, but it sort of felt good. It was like curling up in a hole and dying, ultimately bad, but it was still a soothing thing to do in the short term.

As night drew upon, Dex was convinced he was going to do this. Evan, Ty and Bentley all were in the room. Evan was the only one awake, the other two passed out. Dex walked out onto the balcony and hopped over the railing now on the outside facing the certain death of a fall. Evan noticed and jumped up from his chair and ran out. "Dex, I know earlier was a tough time but this isn't the way-" "Calm down Evan, I'm not going to jump. I'm going down to Rina's room." "Why not just take the stairs, much easier." "Because I don't want any distractions, no disappointments, no interruptions." Evan just sighed. "Well Romeo, be careful, seriously. If you fall, I'm the one who has to explain everything to Mom and Dad." Dex just smiled and climbed his way down. He slipped up a few times, which caused his heart to skip a beat. But finally he made it.

Dex, now on Rina's balcony walked over to the sliding door. He sort of felt creepish but quickly discarded the negative attitude. He knew what he felt and she needed to as well. He walked over to the door and noticed she was lying down. He couldn't tell if she was asleep and started thinking that perhaps she was. This might have been a waste. Once again though he dropped the notion. Finalyl mustering up courage, he knocked on the door. This was it, the moment that he had before, without any idiots ruining it.

Time went by incredibly slowly, and Rina wished she'd bothered to pack even one book, but she hadn't really thought she would have all that much free time during this week long trip. But, eventually time did seem to creep by a little bit faster, gradually speeding up to about normal as the girl ran the events of the past couple of days over and over in her head. It was all difficult to make sense of, but she was determined to do so. At the point that probably would have been the summit of enlightenment, Rina heard a knocking from outside. Shocked, she rose effortlessly, turning to see what had made the noise. Her heart skipped a beat as at first she didn't recognise Dex, thinking it was some axe murderer or something. She really needed to lay off the horror movies.

However, as she took a few steps forward, Rina did recognise the man, and her heart still jumped, but for an entirely different reason. She opened the door, "Dex. What the hell are you doing here? You idiot, you could have been killed." She had to reprimand him, she was angry that he had taken such a stupid risk, but there was no animosity there anymore. She had said what she needed to say, and wasn't hiding it anymore.

"Rina, I was stripped of my chance to say how I feel. I apologize on behalf of my idiot band. They didn't mean to, but what happened happened. You have no idea what I have gone through since I first saw you when we arrived, maybe you do. Anyways, I haven't had moment without you in my mind. You have made me feel like I can't live without you. It may be rash, but I am falling for you too, really hard. I can't stand not seeing you. When I do, I always am happy deep down. You are so beautiful...it hurts me when I think of how we have acted towards each other. I wish I could take back everything negative I've said. You are just...ah...so amazing. It seems unreal." He stopped for a moment to catch is breathe. He seemed to be talking at a hundred miles per hour. " I'm sorry for everything. You don't have to forgive me but please know that everything I am saying true. It's not an elaborate prank. I swear. You are exactly what I've dreamed of. I'm not asking for anything. I just want you to know that you area very special person and I have so much respect for you as a musician and as a person." He finally had stopped rambling at waited for a reply. It had started raining and it didn't at the least dampen his mood. It felt like the world had jumped off his shoulder. He finally expressed his emotions to the one person he wanted to.

It was strange, having everything out in the open. Rina still didn't really know what to do or say, although she did briefly wish she could have been as eloquent as Dex. Yes, he spoke as if the words were being forced out of him by some conveyor belt travelling too fast, but the words themselves meant a helluva lot. She managed to maintain eye contact, wondering what to do, eventually just deciding on something that was probably quite stupid. "Ditto." Yep, definitely idiotic, but it was very much in her personality to be seemingly nonchalant whilst honestly feeling so much emotion that she thought she might burst.

"But seriously, Dex. Whatever we feel, can you honestly say it's a good idea?" Rina had been considering jumping him right then and there, but held back alot of impulse that should have been reserved for teenagers. She knew that although most bands coexisted easily, this rivalry would not go away. They would always be judged against eachother, fans would always have their loyalties, and eventually one of them would peter out. It was just the way it worked, and Rina knew that if they started something, it could only end badly for all concerned, and yet, she still had that urge to just go for it.

"Well I-" He stood there realizing the truth in her words. If anything were to happen, the fans would go crazy. He stopped a moment to think. He cursed the fact they had to be rivals. What could he do. He remembered his brother saying if it was meant to be, it would be. "It's rather unfortunate, the places we are at." The rain now started falling on Dex. " I hope that we can be friends now, at least. It'll kill me inside, let's be honest. But it's the best we can do." Then, though he shouldn't have, impulse struct and he walked up to Rina and pulled her in, kissing her on the lips. He then released and stepped back into the rain. " Thank you." After those words he started off towards the railing of her balcony. Getting back to his room would be hell now that it was raining.

There was still alot left to be said, but Rina didn't really feel speaking was going to be her strongpoint for the time being. Thankfully, that dilemma was taken from her as Dex soon took it upon himself to grace with a short, sweet kiss. Rina flushed, uncharacteristically, and absolutely hated letting him go. She wanted to hold onto him forever in that moment, but it was for the best, really. She was a little swept away, but soon came back to earth when Dex foolishly decided to try and climb back up to his room. "You're not invincible you know. There's no way you're getting back up there now." Rina grabbed his hand to stop him climbing any further. The deluge had no doubt made the crevices slippery and even more treacherous. So, Rina stood on the balcony, not caring about the cold of the rain, just waiting to ensure Dex aborted his suicide mission.