The Life of Bands

Dex laughed, not rudely, rather more playfully. " I hope you're ok! And I might be naked. Nothing like standing out on a balcony and showing the world what you have, like a true man!" He laughed again. He was enjoying himself. he felt like he did when he first arrived on the island. No worries, care free.

"Now, if you don't want to lug yourself up here. I'd be happy to come down and see who this mystery is I am talking to." He was careful not to repeat the strangers mistake as he climbed over the railing and sat on it looking out over the view. Evan was too busy enjoying his games to notice his younger brother being a trapeze artist.

"Nah, I don't think you have the guts." Rina responded, sure that this man wasn't drunk enough to be baring all to the world. Well, she supposed that some people just had no inhibitions, but still, she doubted that this mystery man really was naked. So, as he suggested coming down, probably just on a whim, Rina decided to take him up on it. "Come on then. Room 1357. I promise I won't murder you. There isn't a chainsaw in sight." This was the sort of thing seen in bad horror movies, psychotic, usually beautiful people murdering for the hell of it. It was a ridiculous, but so often used concept.

Just in case he did take her up on the offer, Rina did quickly pop inside and put some old jeans on, not really wanting anyone to see her penguin pyjamas. It was the little girl inside her, refusing to die, which was probably the secret to her success.

"Hm, I'll see you soon Ms. 1357." Dex leaped back onto the balcony and went into the room. As he was throwing on a basic t-shirt, Evan looked over. "Where are you going?" "Uh, to go see someone." Dex went and sprayed his best cologne and made sure he didn't look like a complete idiot. As he was brushing his short, black hair Evan became curious. " So it's a girl I can tell now. Who is she?" Dex, after finishing grooming put on some shoes and answered. "I'm not sure. I didn't see her. She sounds like a ton of fun thought. She put me up to come see her so I am obliging. Room 1357, that's all I know. Well, later!" As he was about to exit Evan stood up. "Woah, woah! That's Rina's room man." Dex stopped in his tracks, turning to face his brother. "Wait, what? How the hell do you know?" "I overheard a conversation between some staff saying 1357 was Blood Diamond's guitarist's room. I didn't think anything of it, but now I kind of do. Are you sure about this? Does she know it was you?" Dex thought over the conversation he had with the girl whom now was Rina. "I...I don't think so."

Dex sat on his bed for a moment. The glimpse of the girl, he thought it was Rina and he was right. What did he do? Did he go down and create the most awkward moment of the year or did he stay up in the room and leave Rina waiting around for a no show. Eventually he got up and walked out to the balcony again, staring down over to where Rina's room was. He couldn't see anyone. "Hey!, 1357? You there?" He hoped she was able to here him. He needed to think of an excuse to stay up in his room. He felt horrible but he knew Rina would want the mystery boy to be anyone but Dex.

No doubt oblivious to what was being said upstairs, Rina moved outside again, just in case she needed to receive any further correspondence from this mystery man. It was lucky that she did, for just as she stepped out of the door and back into the night air, she heard her new codename being called down to her. "I'm here. Ready and waiting. How may I direct your call?" It was her playful, often childish nature at its odd best. She was in a good mood, she liked this person very much, and was looking forward to meeting him. Perhaps a holiday fling was in order, although it had to be said that this was hardly a vacation. It was work, in an excellent setting. Something that was hard to always believe.

Dex was relieved, but at the same time nervous. He was really wanting to see Rina, but now that she had her name, he didn't know what to do. It's not like it deterred him from wanting to see her, it's just he knew she would not exactly feel the same. Finally he spoke. "Uh, ha, we might have to save this rendezvous for another night. One of my band mates Ev...Everton needs to practice some songs with me. But we can try this again, per-perhaps to-tomorrow?" Everton, really Dex? Why did his brother have to have a name which no other names besides Everton sound like it. And now he was scheduling another impossible visit? Dex felt like throwing up then and there. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He now waited for a reply, nowhere near as anxious as before, now more scared than ever.

Rina entertained the idea of going up there to try and see this man anyway, but she wasn't always that much of an idiot. She knew that such pushy behaviour would only alienate this guy, although she had her suspicions that she had managed to do so anyway. Why the sudden change of heart? His voice didn't carry as if he was telling the truth, and he certainly didn't seem confident that he knew the name of his bandmate.

"You do realise you're meant to do the practicing before you enter something like this, right? And also familiarise yourself with who is in the band." She was a little bit annoyed, but not hostile, just on the offchance that he was telling the truth. "Either come down or don't. You're not going to keep these excuses up forever." That was the truth of it, and Rina tried to state it calmly, although she was ever so slightly hurt, which did carry in her voice.

Dex's heart seemed to sink down into the deepest pit ever in existence. He thought over a few things. "Hold on, I'll be down. Just be ready 1357..." That last statement had a whole depressing ring to it. He left the balcony and walked past his brother, who just stared on as he left the room. Dex headed to the elevator and down to the floor Rina was on. He headed towards her door, with a defeated look on his face. His will and happiness seemed to diminish as he walked towards her door.

Finally, arriving at the door, he stood for a few moments. Dex played out several scenarios in his head. Anything could happen, but he believed nothing positive would be on the list. Finally, swallowing his pride, he knocked on the door. With every touch of the door, his demeanor became less and less joyful. He wasn't unhappy that Rina would answer. He was dreading the reaction she would give. "Hey, it's me 13-" He paused, there was no point in keeping up the codename anymore," It's me Rina."

When he finally agreed to come down, Rina really didn't know how to feel. The whole encounter had taken on a tenuous edge that had really defeated the object of this fun endeavour. Still, he was on his way now, and so she waited, heading to the door the moment she heard the knock - and her name. It was at the point where she opened the door that her voice of reason broke free, screaming the name of who was behind the door. But she had already started swinging it open, and so soon the two were standing face to face.

"Dex. I..." She started off quite sheepish, caught off guard, slightly embarrassed and just a teensy bit upset. Why did it have to be him? It just wasn't fair. But then she got her defences back up, immediately becoming much colder. "What the hell! Is this your idea of a joke? You're even more of a bastard than I thought." She scowled, though a part of her wondered if it had all been an act. Perhaps the few words they had exchanged had been real.

Dex wished he could just vanish into thin air and appear somewhere else, never having this happen in the first place. As she spoke he just stared at her with cold eyes. Why did he have feelings for a girl who clearly did not. "Rina..." All he could say was her name. He wanted to tell her how she was all his mind thought about. From the first moment they exchanged words, to the night party. Then on the stage earlier that day. He didn't know why or even how he felt completely. What he was sure of was that she wasn't leaving his thoughts anytime soon.

"I....I..." Dex was choking on words. His mind wanted to say so much but his mouth would not correspond. "I'm sorry. This is my fault." There was no one to blame for anything. It was a major coincidence and it went sour fast. Dex stepped back a bit and looked at the ground. The moment became silent. He looked back up with sadness consuming everything about him. There he was in front of Rina, but would not dare to say anything of how he felt. He locked eyes with hers. Though they were filled with anger, he thought they were the most beautiful eyes he'd ever seen. The silver lining of this whole situation.

The silence was electrically charged, and Rina really didn't know what to do. She glared icily at Dex, refusing to back down, although as he spoke and continued to look pretty damn uncomfortable, Rina did soften ever so slightly. Perhaps he hadn't known her identity right from the off. Still, she couldn't allow him to get at her. The moment she saw him as a victim of this situation, was the moment she started taking it easy on the musical battleground. That could never happen. She wouldn't ruin everything for the boys over someone who was probably just trying to take advantage.

"Dex. Just go, okay? This was a stupid idea anyway." She was actually being half decent to him, though she wasn't sure why. Part of her was even considering inviting him anyway, but perhaps that was a step too far. She was confused, and surprised, that was all.

"Right. Pretty stupid, huh?" Dex turned and walked down the hall. His spirit was crushed and he tried his best not to turn back or even a double take. He just walked slowly and his head down. He thought that the might have been it. The moment that ended any chance of anything more than being band rivals. The smell of his cologne just reminded him of his useless attempt to finally settle down. Being a pretty boy in a band meant constant attacks by fan girls and he learned to ignore it for the most part. None of them wanted a relationship. They all just either wanted in his pants, or to hang him on their walls so he could be eye candy. Never a moment passed when he did not wish for the one girl who wanted more. He saw everything great about a girl in Rina, and that chance just slipped away with the moment he just had with her.

He hit the elevator button and sighed. The only thing that might have distracted him now was tomorrow's event.

Rina didn't know how to respond. She just stood there, mind working overtime to try and process what the hell she was feeling. Yes, Dex and his band were a massive threat, but it wasn't that causing her heart to race. Rina almost went after him, well, almost thought of it. She wouldn't allow herself to jeopardise the band with her foolish thoughts. For all she knew, this could just be a ploy to get her off her game. Everyone knows that girls are damn emotional, and that can be the key to their ruin.

Deep down Rina knew this wasn't the case, which was why once the elevator doors closed, she actually called, "Wait." Surprising even herself as she finally said what she wanted to just a few seconds after it was too late. Rina went back to her room, and did what any musician would, she started writing.

Dex was now in his room. He gave Evan a look that signified he didn't want to talk and Evan understood. Dex layed on his bed, hands behind his head and stared and the ceiling. Evan did not like to see his brother like this. "Hey Dex, you up for some gaming. I'll take it easy on ya?" "Sorry Ev, not right now." That was the last words he spoke that night.

The next morning Dex woke up feeling no different than the night before except that he was excited enough for the second round. He showered and threw on some nice clothes for the day, since it actually mattered. Today he was playing backup guitar to his brother's lead so he grabbed that and headed out. He walked with his band down to their usual space. They shared some jokes and talked. They were all feeling much better about today but deep down Dex wasn't himself. He had enough in him to appear normal and he knew he needed to to pass to the following day. He tried his hardest to keep focus on the band, not trying to look around as much. He knew he had the luck to always see Rina out of the hundreds of people there.

Rina did sleep, but she didn't sleep well. At least she actually got up on time. They were on later anyway, having been drawn in the last five. They were still to discuss what they were going to play, and so once Rina was prepared, she headed down to the stage with the boys. She was more talkative than usual, but to a point that was just a bit nervous. She felt odd about last night, and was petrified that she was going to mess up. If she did, she wondered if she would jump off the top of the hotel. Probably. It was the sort of thing rock n roll people did.

"We need something different. We've had an anthem, I reckon we go for a ballad." Reggie suggested, possibly because that would definitely be easier on him.

The others agreed, although Rina had a slightly different idea. "Okay, I know we haven't really done this before, but just hear me out. Why don't we play Evil Thoughts, but instead of you coming in with the backup like normal, bring in a shredder and go a bit metal on us, growl if you have to. It'll work. I'm sure of it."

Feeling that it was indeed a good idea, they started planning in earnest, practicing this new twist, as Rina hoped that this would help her get the anger and confusion out of her system.

Voices and Vessels were chosen to play third. They had little time to prepare compared to the day before. They chose a song the showed off each member's talents. The song , entitled "Lover's Paradise", ranged from Dex singing a capella, Evan getting a solo bridge, and Ty getting a hardcore breakdown before the song ended. They were confident that they could best yesterday's performance, and honestly it wouldn't be hard to do.

At last they were up to play. The crowd seemed much more energetic today and it fueled the band tremendously. As they started, it clicked in Dex's head how much the song's lyrics related to him. With mentions of holding back feelings and blocked emotions, it seemed to bring out a new voice in Dex. For once, the lyrics meant something and it transferred to his attitude and performance. After they had finished, follow a breakdown so hard that Ty broke one of his drumsticks, they headed off stage sweating but full of energy and hype. Bentley was jumping around like a school girl in excitement. "That was amazing. I think that's the best we've ever played. Dex, man, where did that come from? Man that was awesome. Your voice was like an angel out there." he had slight sarcasm at the last part but meant what he said. They all threw around high fives and fist bumps. Dex sat down at their space and took a deep breath. He was satisfied and for the moment, forgot all his troubles.

The foursome did watch Voices and Vessels, only by coincidence really. They'd reached a point where they needed a break, and so they each drank some water while watching a few of the earlier bands. They caught the end of their rivals act, truly astounded by the difference in them. Will commented, "Well, I'm glad you thought of your little trick, Rina." She smiled back at him, slightly weakly, but he didn't seem to notice.

As the afternoon wore on, the band became evermore engrossed in their performance, so much so that they almost missed their slot. Luckily, the nature of their song was that they didn't need all that stage garb, just a quick spruce and on they went, Aron in his leathers as usual, Will, Rina and Reggie wearing plain jeans and band shirts. Today, Will had a keyboard as his best friend, though later on in the song there would come a need for his guitar. Aron stuck to the bassline, and Reggie held it all together with his drums.

Rina herself took centre stage today, an acoustic guitar in hand as she approached the microphone. "This goes out to a particular dickhead. He might be in the audience, and if you are, fuck you." Contrary to how it sounded, the song had not been written for Dex. It sort of applied to the situation, there was a mixture of rage and terrible sadness in it, the melancholy coming from Rina, while Aron sang the rage. The raw song had been born after what could only be described as an abs=usive relationship finally broke down. It also accounted for the year Blood Diamond had been nowhere to be found.

But all that was in the past, and today Rina sang her heart out, almost directing her words at a particular man she was sure would be somewhere nearby. She was hurt and confused, and resisting the change, both today, and in the lyrics of the song. It was a quiet, heartfelt ballad, until somewhere around the middle of the song, Will crashed in with his guitar, accompanied by Reggie. Aron proceeded to almost shout his words, he and Rina competing for space, though the two very different approaches just about seemed to tie together, frayed at the edges, but all the better for it.

Once finished, the band exited quickly, feeling pretty damn pleased with themselves. Rina was a bit quieter now, although the boys knew that even now the subject of the song was still pretty raw for her. They never pressed her on it, it was up to her to decide when she was totally over it. And today she reckoned she was, she had a new heartache to worry about. That much she knew for sure.

Dex listened to Blood Diamond's slot for only a few moments. The way Rina was on stage was too much for himself and he headed back stage. After they had concluded, Dex was slightly relieved. He still heard them from backstage. It was muffled, but enough for him to be tormented. Not by the sound, but by the meaning. He sat strumming his guitar playing random chords and passing time. He was worried that something might happen between the bands. Hopefully there incident stayed between themselves, and of course Evan who only knew that something happened, but that was the extent.

Finally the remaining few bands played and judging once again commenced. This time out of the 25, 15 would remain. The nice thing was that tomorrow was a day to take a break for the bands that remained. There were random events that played throughout the day, but no competing.

As the judges congratulated the bands on their performance, Dex moved back with his band. Today they were a team, like they should have been from the start. It was a surprising day as two new bands made the cut for the second day in a row, to accompany the older more experienced bands there. Of course, they were Blood Diamond and Voices and Vessels. The bands each got special recognition and the day's event was complete. There wasn't an after party, for the relaxation would be for tomorrow. Instead, the day was to be spent however the bands and fans wanted.

Ty and Evan decided to go swimming for the afternoon. Bentley, who most mistook for a bouncer at Voices and Vessels gigs because of his size, headed to the bar for what he hoped an adventurous night, after all he could hold his liquor pretty well, with an exception to the first day on the island.

Dex wasn't quite sure what he planned to do. he might have joined Ty and Evan but he wasn't completely sure. He sort of walked around checking out some stores and bought a few random items to keep as souvenirs. He would occasionally stop to have conversations with other bands and people attending the event, including his own band's fans.

They were fairly confident today, and it appeared that this hadn't been misplaced. They were through, and with flying colours too. The four of them were over the moon, and as they headed away from the venue they talked enthusiastically to one another, discussing what they would do on the next day of the competition. Short sets were now to be played throughout the day, as now the numbers were low enough to allow this. It would give the depth of the band a test, as well as their staying power.

Being a quiet little soul, Reggie went to go and read one of his many books in the privacy of the bands room. Meanwhile, Aron and Will headed off to play pool together, and also discuss the matter of Rina and her focusing difficulties. By now they had twigged that something was up, and were even considering contacting the members of Voices and Vessels, in an effort to head this off before both bands crashed and burned.

Rina, on the other hand, headed off to the pool, intending to swim off her uneasiness. She happened to spy Dex on her way down,and sped up considerably in an effort to avoid him. She rushed ahead, soon plunging into the water, remaining underwater for as long as she could before finally coming up for air, forgetting about swimming and instead just sitting in the water for a while.

Evan was sitting on the side of the pool when he noticed Rina. He thought against saying anything, but he knew something was up and felt the need to help out his little brother. He walked along the side of the pool, avoiding some crazies running by, and crouched near her. "Hey, you have a minute?" Evan had no quarrels against Rina. In fact, he believed her to be a very talented musician. He just wanted to see if he could figure out what was going on. He remembered talking about Dex before and would try his best to not talk down on him. "You probably know what this is going to be about. Dex. He has changed a lot since we came here. He was quiet all last night after going to see you...and don't worry I don't know details. He didn't say anything about anything. The point is I wanted to know if something happened between you two. I don't want our bands to fall out of this because of conflicted emotions. If you wish to hold your piece then by all means do so. But you've gotten to Dex. I'm trying to find out if that's a good or bad thing."

While this occurred Dex had gone back to the room, picked up his notebook and found a tree to sit under and right. No doubt his feelings about Rina were going to be drawn done into it. It may have appeared strange that he wrote his feelings down, but he did it to relive stress, something he had a lot of lately.

Rina jumped slightly when Evan spoke to her. She'd been in her own little world, as she so often was these days. It was damn inconvenient, and the cause was even harder to understand. It was foolish, and she continued to reprimand herself for it. But moving along from that, she listened to what Evan had to say, bristling slightly as she turned towards him, frowning as she just about managed to remain quiet as he said whatever it was he had to say.

"Nothing happened. Nothing will happen. Whatever's going on with him has nothing to do with me, so why don't you just sort him out on your own?" She hardly realised that she was snapping at Evan, but it happened. She was also lying through her teeth, mainly because she still didn't want to believe that the reason she couldn't get Dex out of her head was not hate, but something far more problematic. After she had spoken, Rina took a long, deep breath, shaking her head to rid herself with the residue of anger, blue eyes turning back up to Evan to see what he had to say in response to that.