The Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serna felt as if her heart was about to leap from her chest and dance across the floor as she felt Tirian's hand envelope her own. It was just so surreal. He tugged her along effortlessly towards a table so they could sit and eat. It was nice. Never in her dreams did Serna imagine living through something like this. Dancing with the boy she liked, holding his hand, dressing up for a party and spending time like this surrounded by happy people and beautiful music. Never ever in her wildest dreams did she imagine living to this type of day. She should have been dead by now, burned alive. Yet here she was in the dwarvish capital with her brother and with someone she adored so deeply. It had to be a dream, but it wasn't. It wasn't.

They sat together and Serna was relieved to see Setna come join them, pointing out which foods were better than others, and informing them that Elrithos had made the party. He was doing well, even after all those injuries and Serna found herself feeling even more relieved. It was a blessed night, a happy night. She hoped everyone would have a good night tonight like she was having, she wished it with all of her heart.

The Syndareans were a little surprised as suddenly Tirian stood and dismissed himself for the moment. The twins granted it, and both watched as the red head sifted through the crowd, and then Setna looked to his sister with an all knowing grin. "So how was your dance?"

------------------

Aaerynn took another sip of wine, debating on getting up or not. She couldn't exactly just sit here all night. Her condition was making things difficult for her but she still wanted to enjoy her night, after-all she had made some nice money. The elf stretched and her light eyes glanced over in surprise to see the red headed prince heading her way with a serious look on his face. Aaerynn raised an eyebrow, setting down her glass and raising a hand as a lazy greeting.

~~Tirian had departed from Serna, the bandage on her arm giving him a slight clue as to what the wood-elf was up to. His keen eyes had spotted a similar bandage of Setna as well, the final clue needed for the prince to confront, or rather question the culprit behind the doings. Tirian slid a chair out and quickly placed his body down, ocean orbs meeting those of Aaerynn's. He couldn't help but to smile, his words coming out soft and low. He got straight to the point.

"What're you after exactly. With the twins."

The prince took no time in sitting himself and he held a smile, even as his words were serious. Aaerynn tilted her head slightly with her surprise, she hadn't been expecting that. Her eyes narrowed just slightly at him as she mulled over her words and eventually shook her head, looking to her glass of wine and swirling the contents. "Nothing. It was simply a favor for a favor. Medicine has to be tested and a pair of twins are good subjects."

Her words were surprisingly cool as she looked back at Tirian, and her lips quirked into a slight smile. "What's it to you, exactly? What role are you trying to play?"

"Subjects."

Tirian repeated those words, his brows scrunching together as he held back a small ray of anger that rose in his chest. The elf before him was, if nothing else, an inconsiderate and rather arrogant being. His eyes met hers with a matching intensity. Quick insults danced around his head and tongue for a moment but yet, Tirian sympathized with the lonely elf and instead the prince smiled and held his hand out.

"Care to dance?"

Just as quick as Tirian had sat down, he stood waiting for the beautiful elf to take his hand.

His tone revealed a hint of anger and Aaerynn honestly wondered what about it was so wrong. It was a favor for a favor that the twins themselves agreed to. What role was Tirian trying to play? A teacher? A parent? Or a lover? He was inserting himself into a situation that had nothing to do with him.

If anything she should be thanked, she helped to pick the dress that Serna now wore and had left the red head star struck and stumbling.

But the prince surprised her once more, rising onto his feet and holding out his hand. He asked her to dance but the wood elf raised her hand in refusal. "I'm fine where I am. I am sure your pupil would like another dance instead."

~~Tirian could see the arrogance in her eyes, the twinkle of always thinking she was in the right, always desiring to be graced with gratitude. It was no wonder she was alone. However the prince would simply refuse to leave without a dance.

"I refuse to leave until I get a dance."

Tirian remained standing, his hand still held out to her. He held a look in his eye that matched his words, he wouldn't leave her alone until he got what he wanted. There was a subtle shift in Aaerynn's face, a hint of worry as her hand clenched in her lap where the stained napkin used to be. But then it was gone, and the elven woman rose up from her table and placed her hand within Tirian's. "Alright."

The prince led her to the floor and Aaerynn watched the back of his head a moment, thinking over what he had said, the anger in his face at her words. Her gaze hit the floor and then back up. This was the first time she had encountered him since… that day. Everything had gone completely wrong, and she had wished they had just left her to Ieowyn's whims, but she couldn't ignore that they had helped her.

"Hey Red..." Her voice picked up, and it held an uncertainty to it, and maybe even some timidness. This was awkward, but it had to be said.

"About the other day...Thank you." She paused, her voice only loud enough for Tirian to hear her. "Your sister...is absolutely terrifying... I don't know what to expect but... Anything is better than what was going on. So...just... thank you."

~~Their dance together had a different feeling than the dance with Serna. Their skin touched in a different way, heat did not rise in his chest nor did his heart flutter uncontrollably. Tirian cared for Aaerynn that much was obvious. However, the feeling between them was much sibling-like. His expression lightened up as they dance on, ears listening to the lull syllables that left the elf's lips. The prince could not help but to chuckle at Aaerynn's comment on his sister. His smile widened and that angry twinkle in his eyes disappeared completely.

"She's a handful, that's for sure. She scares me to the core."

Their dance continued, close and slow as the world seemed to fade away. Their conversation thickened, Tirian's grip on Aaerynn tightening as if he was protecting her from something. He had been too hard on the rotting elf, over something that did not matter much.

"Serna."

His tone lowered, embarrassment lacing the syllables proceeding after the maiden's name had been spoken.

"She means something to me. I'm sorry for confronting you in such a way. You're family, and you won't ever be alone. As far as my sister goes, just stay on her good side. I can handle her."

Handle her? Aaerynn was pretty sure that no one could handle the Ice Queen. The stories around her were numerous, specifically the rumor that she went head to head with the Dark Emperor and lived. Just a few days ago she had easily picked up elven guards by their necks. She was... a force to be reckoned with.

And her brother had loved her.

The thought almost soured her mood and painfully tightened her lungs so instead she focused on the little bit of information Tirian had given to her. Oh? Just something? The wood elf looked up at the prince's face, almost a teasing lilt of a smile on her painted lips. The way the prince had fumbled around with Serna in a dance compared to how he was doing now, proved that the Syndarean girl was more than just a little something. To further prove her point she lead the dance a bit more, forcing the red head to move his feet a bit more gracefully to keep up.

"I think she's more than just something to you." Aaerynn spoke softly, but there was a gentleness to her words. It was kind of nice seeing something like this develop. Uncertain fumbling and cautious shy feelings sprouting between two people that obviously adored the other. It was nostalgic to the wood elf. She glanced up at him, a knowing little smile coming to her lips. "I was sure you were about to fall to your knees and worship her as soon as you saw her in that dress."

Her words were playful, hoping for him to try and defend himself, or open up more.

~~Aaerynn's comments on his dance with Serna sent a rush of embarrassment to the man's core. He had visibly shown his hand while dancing with the beautiful maiden. His eyes averted from the elf's own, attempting to gather himself before his entire body quivered with mortification. His breath slowed as his heart fluttered into his throat, yet the prince couldn't help but to smile at the thought of the Syndarean. Tirian led on in their dance, his steps more elegant and precise, matching the movements of Aaerynn and drawing a small crowd to their presentation of dance. The prince broke the silence, speaking with a wide smile with a low tone for only the gorgeous elf to hear.

"I'd hate to admit but I think you're right. A monster like me needs someone like her. I feel like a kid when I'm around her… The one thing… the one thing that scares me…"

His words suddenly trailed off, smile disappearing to that thousand yard stare with no emotion in those ocean colored orbs. Serna's scream of pain shocking his heart, forcing it to skip a beat. TIrian couldn't bear the thought of losing someone important to him again.

"Losing her. I'd lose myself again. That's something even worse than Auriel's temper."

His eyes moved back to the elf's own blue eyes, a petite smile coming to his lips.

"Auriel is afflicted with the rot. Ever since mother died. She hasn't lost an ounce of strength. That woman… is a monster. She was the one that trained me when I left Durandal. Her speed… so incredible. I couldn't keep up with her even with magic. Auriel is in her own league…"

Aaerynn's eyes widened momentarily as the prince gave in and confessed. His bashfulness was adamant, like a child caught doing something he wasn't supposed to. But that quickly shifted into a stare the wood elf had witnessed only a couple of times, and it still sent a shiver of terror through her. Then, in a simple second it was gone, and Tirian had skirted around the subject by bringing up his sister once more.

The Ice Queen had the rot?

Interesting. Aaerynn glanced over the red head. It was obvious he was still young. How old was he again? She supposed it didn't matter. Auriel Demeria was in the first stages of the rot. First couple of years were always the worst, the most painful as your body begins to corrode, demolish itself from the inside. Aaerynn mused over the subject, before her thoughts drifted back to what Tirian feared and mentioned earlier. A subject that made her own rot churn painfully within her chest. Her lungs burned at the thought of it, the memories that she had kept tied and locked away, flickering across the surface.

"In the end, you'll always lose her Red." Aaerynn's voice was a bit raspy, almost weak as she gathered her thoughts while their bodies glided across the dance floor. "I mean look at you. Half human, half elf. You have enough elf in you to reach 200 years, and she will be lucky to make half that. That's only if everything goes your way, of course."

She paused, just saying the words were painful to her. It almost felt like she was talking to her younger self. Aaerynn was staring her own foolishness in the face. "You may be able to escape the rot with the human in you. But you can't escape grief."

The dance required a twirl and the snap was hard as the wood elf was twirled away from the prince, skirts flowing with a flash of pale white thighs before she pulled back in with quick and precise steps, till once more their hands met. This time she looked up at him, blue eyes pensive. "The real question you should be asking yourself is if it's worth it. Is it worth the pain in the end? The grief? That's the real question. You can't fear losing someone, when you are bound to anyway. That's the plight people like us live with. Mortal lives are….fragile and precious."

Aaerynn turned silent, except for a light rumble and cough beneath her breath as she looked down. Her brows knitted together and for a moment she wasn't on a dance floor, matching steps with the Durandal prince. Instead she could smell the soot of fire, the touch of rain, the iron wrenching stench of blood… The wood elf pulled herself from her thoughts. She wasn't recovered enough for this, but she didn't let that stop her though as she looked back up at him. "Shit... I'm not, you know, as articulate or sage-like as the Desert Walker... I've wasted a couple of centuries. But I just...don't think you should fear that. You should just choose if that feeling and that person are worth the risk. Then you fight for it, you know? You have to decide that."

Look at her, suddenly giving advice. She almost felt like the scribbler, perhaps next she would be preaching the importance of sunrises and letting go of mistakes and living life. The wood elf's face almost seemed to warm up with fondness at the thoughts. But then her thoughts returned to that stagnant smell of blood. It was true. It was choosing whether or not something was worth pursuing. Tirian was full of youth and the power of adoration and naiveté, he could do this. But this…feelings like this weren't worth it. She would continue enjoying herself for the moment, but in the end…it didn't matter at all.

Aaerynn skirted around the subject, motioning the conversation back to his sister. "I suppose if your sister has questions about the rot, or needs anything, I can help. I have about 175 years of experience." Her lips tilted into a teasing smile once more.

~~The elf's words pierced deep into the prince's heart, forcing his mind to face the grim reality of the situation at hand. His heart sank deep into his stomach, skipping a beat here and there at the simple thought of Serna no longer being ripped away from his life. She begged the real question for Tirian, was allowing someone close to his heart worth the grief and pain if, in the worst scenario, that person was suddenly taken away. His eyes closed to ponder her wise words for a moment, before he could retort however Aaerynn brought up his sister once more.

"I'd stay away from that topic, she's quite touchy. If I may, what is it with you and Auriel, got the hots for her?"

Tirian teased the wood elf with a warm smile, quickly changing the subject to avoid any further talk of his sister. Their dance continued with graceful steps fit for two agile beings, in their own world.

"Serna is absolutely worth the possible pain and grief. My situation is an unfortunate one, but I won't let the negatives blind the positives. The Syndarean maiden makes me feel human. Hell there's a chance she doesn't feel the same about me, perhaps this is all just a selfish ploy. However, I understand the reality of life, and how it can end in any moment. Trust me, I know that all too well."

Tirian gave the elf a warm smile, changing the subject once more to lighter things.

"You just promise me one thing. Take care of yourself."

Aaerynn made a face, a mix of horror and slight disgust at Tirian's joke about her interest, and she would have made a snappy comeback but he changed the subject. The wood elf instead was surprised by his answer. He was... certainly optimistic. But perhaps that was what he needed. What they needed. She hoped he would think about it more before rushing into anything. Aaerynn was almost…jealous. How nice it must be to be so youthful, so naïve, that one person held so much weight. The wood elf simply hoped that youthful naivete was powerful enough to get them through the problems ahead of them.

The two continued the dance, turning the simple waltz into a delicate foxtrot, each step meticulous and Aaerynn was surprised Tirian could keep up so well with her after flubbering with the young Serna. But then he asked for a promise and the wood elf looked up at Tirian with a perked eyebrow. Take care of herself? "Of course, I'm the only one who can."

She gave another teasing smile, although her words were a lie. Of course, she'd take care of herself. She'd done it all alone and she'd continue doing so. Til the very end. But it felt like that end was sneaking closer and closer upon her. She was just continuing to lie to herself, make excuses, push herself forward. But it was enough. She just…wanted to make it to the next continent. She just wanted that small little shack, some books, some happiness before she died.

The song came to an end and so did their dance. A few people that had been watching the duo clapped for them, and Aaerynn detangled her hand from the princes. She gave a teasing smirk before ushering him back. "Now give your 'something' a good dance like that."

Tirian seemed to want to speak, but they were soon interrupted by the stopping of music as horns were blared in a riot. All the guests were forced to look up at the stairs as shredded colored paper drifted down across the dance floor.

"Introducing… Lord Farin!" A page shouted and suddenly the dwarven lord appeared followed closely by the clapping of his guests.

The lord held up his hands, and the room turned silent although there was a pleasant buzz in the air. "Thank you everyone for coming to share this night together!" Farin grinned. "As you know I have gathered everyone here to celebrate my Uncle's newest expedition! He has gathered a group of fine individuals who will be traveling to the next continent and I wish for them to enjoy Durngan's kindness and hospitality! So, come, come!"

The crowd seemed to separate to allow everyone to walk ahead to the Lord, motioned forward by an eager Rudolf. Those who remained sitting were still pointed out as the crowd pulled away and dispersed from the distinguished guests. Farin grinned wider and motioned to a chest that had been carried in and placed beside him. "Today I have brought your gifts so that you will always remember your journey to Durngan. The mountain path is a treacherous one filled with unbearable cold before reaching the mighty Desert. We would not be the Durngan that my family has created and built if we did not do our best to help you complete your quest! So come, come on up here! Line up, line up!"

He rapidly made a hand motion to Aaerynn first and the wood elf couldn't help giving an amused smile. But she did as the dwarf motioned, she stepped forward and finally kneeled before him, bowing her head. "You didn't have to do this, Farin."

The dwarf lifted her head so she would look at him. "But of course I did! My precious uncle is leading this expedition, which carries some good friends. Each one of you has something special! I want you all to know Durngan can be considered a home! And what kind of home wouldn't try to help its people, hmm?"

Farin grinned wide and Aaerynn couldn't help being a bit amused. It wasn't just that. It was a bit of a ploy wasn't it? The lord was an addict for new information, for stories and for people, and the wood elf had to admit that the people on this journey were a rare bunch. How often did you see a Syndarean and a Maker in the same room? Farin wanted to meet them all.

Aaerynn was pulled out of her thoughts however as the dwarven man suddenly placed a fur cloak about her shoulders. She touched the fabric in surprise and Farin grinned. "For the mountains. You can keep it or you can trade it in at the trade post before entering the Desert. Either way it will surely be of help to you. This is a goodbye after all isn't it? Uncle says you intend to stay in Thialea, and Imladris is seemingly looking out for you! I think it's best. It's a bout time you grasped onto some happiness! Don't let what happened keep you down."

That was easier said than done, but Aaerynn couldn't help feeling a bit touched. She didn't honestly think that anyone would have the desire to say goodbye to her, never mind present her with a gift as a farewell. "Thank you…Farin, for all of this. I'll have fun."

Farin grinned wide. "Write often, yeah? Now introduce me to your friends!"

Aaerynn made a noise before standing and motioning the line. The twins were the first to pop up, hand in hand as the dwarven lord fawned over them. The wood elf stood off to the side, silently relishing the feeling of the fur as she watched the twins and Farin speak. It took a few not so subtle hand motions to get Setna to bow at the proper time but Aaerynn's red lips tilted to a small smile as furs were wrapped around each twin and they both spread their gratefulness.

She supposed the night wasn't so bad. Her light eyes caught sight of the man she had been looking for earlier. Ah, so the scribbler had made it after all. Where did he sneak in from? Her eyes narrowed a moment. His clothes looked new but his face looked as if it had been dragged through dirt. Strange. The elf thought back to her gift that she had brought for him, perhaps now wasn't the best time. Bemusedly, she couldn't help but think it wouldn't compare to a nice fur from the dwarf lord.

The twins looked bashful as they headed over to Aaerynn, holding tightly to new cloaks as someone else was ushered forward to meet Farin. Setna rubbed the back of his neck with what seemed to be a shy grin. "Well…that was kind of weird. I didn't expect that at all."

Aaerynn simply gave a small nod and her voice was gentle as she spoke. "Welcome to Durngan."

Last edited by a moderator:
The rest of the evening had went smoothly, following the sensitive dance with the Syndarean and the more professional dance with Aaerynn. And yet the red-head found himself desiring more of the social contact he had received over the course of the party. The atmosphere around the past couple of days was a very welcomed change. No fighting. No death. Nothing but calm and peace. The serenity was suddenly broken with the party sounds dying down with a lone voice booming into the mansion foyer. Ocean hued orbs gathered themselves towards the entrance as Lord Farin himself made an appearance and quickly gestured for the guest of honor to step forward. Reluctantly, Tirian left the comfortable stone slab of a seat and proceeded forward until his body aligned with the dwarf's. Tirian knelt down to allow Lord Farin to place the warm coat around his broad shoulders. The warmth provided by the generous gift was adequate, more than enough for the treacherous cold that would be ahead of the caravan. The prince lifted his head with a warm smile as his body rose to full posture.

"Thank you Lord Farin."

Lucille was the next in line, her face showing far less enthusiasm for the needless gift, yet she knelt just as the prince before her had done, taking the cloak and exiting after saying a quick word of thankfulness. She left in the same fashion that Tirian had, a quick bow with a small smile of sorts and with that done Lucille opted to leave the mansion entirely for a breath of fresh air. Too much of a crowd for the natural loner, and so she walked forward creating considerable distance between the mansion party and herself. The further she walked the colder and darker the city of Durngan grew. It was as if the entire city had attended the party or simply disappeared for this particular evening. Something perked her senses however, a short burst of frigid air colder than the peaks of the mountains. Lucille quickly grabbed for her chest, breathless as the darkest whisper entered her ears. A slither of evil syllables wrapping the girls mind with toxicity.

"Youurrrr… Tarrrgeeettt."

Lucille begged her body to move, screamed internally as if her life had depended on it. The magic persuading her mind had been, simply, too powerful for the assassin to resist. Her fingers and toes curled painfully, her throat closing shut entirely as tears welled in her eyes. She pleaded for someone, anyone to come and stop this awful feeling that pierced at her heart. Nothing but static rung in her ears as that poisonous voice spoke once more. The words brought such power that her ears began to physically bleed.

"Doooo. Noooot. Fooorrgeeettt. WE. ARE. WATCHING!"

Lucille hit her knees hard as the trickles of blood dripped off of her swollen cheeks, that static ringing dissipating and leaving the poor assassin crippled on the dirt road. She brought her knees tightly against her chest, squeezing herself into a tight ball and cried, soundlessly. The wails of sadness and desperation were nothing more than inaudible squeaks of pain, no louder than what could be hear by the nearby mice. For what felt like an eternity the pink-haired damsel laid there, curled tightly together as if her position would protect her from any further abuse. There she laid, waiting for some sort of help, be it in the form of a kick in the ass or a gentle hand of helping. Anything…

Tirian had left the mansion as well, taking a different route to free his mind of the worry, the anxiety of what danger could possibly await the caravan in the dangerous mountains ahead of them. His senses tingled with the sudden pulse of evil magic, something so toxic that it drove the prince mad with hate, however just as quick as the source had come, it disappeared. It was an odd occurrence however, he would not chase this source in fear of what the owner of such evil power would be capable of doing in person. Tirian turned away and continued to walk, continuing his goal of clearing the worries and fears away.

As the night went on, Elrithos and Esredia had parted from their first dance to go join others and enjoy the night. For the tribal woman, it was so different than what she was used to. Parties of these kinds weren't what she had experience; they had been a lot less social. Her time as a slave to her master had put her in less desirable positions. She was to follow him, get him what he wanted, and do as he said… All that without questioning his motives or his intentions. It had been a miserable part of her life, one that always sent her on edge when her memories would come to her… This night though held none of those traits. This night was truly helping her get out of her savage roots and to understand people of this world that weren't bad. It clearly showed that she was having great time too; dancing, conversing, drinking (maybe a lot more than most people could handle) and all around making good time with her fun.

Same went to the desert warrior; he was enjoying this event without withholding himself. Yes, he wasn't able to get into more intricate dances because of his injuries, but it didn't mean he couldn't join others in their festive ways. Even with the altercation with Lillith, he held a smile and joy to the happenings of this party. Questions had been asked left and right about the desert, considering most didn't travel through it too often. They were answered as precisely as Elrithos could, though few questions were odd and out of place. They knew so little of the Aavikkanian race in the North, especially considering their removal of most population North of the continent. The old ties had just begun being reconstructed, starting with the Southern Elves (Who were a lot less of a pain to talk to than the Northern Elves).

Vordan was in an odd mood that night, especially after the happenings of the past few days. Where many had found relief and good times, Vordan's time had been through its ups and downs. He got to look within the libraries of this grand mansion, which DID have great information that would help him move all of his projects forward. He also discovered a cure for alcohol! Yet, there those low tides; the elves that made Aaerynn feel guilty and Elrithos' ambush. It wasn't all rainbows and flowers… A light sigh escaped his lips as he touched his face. It was filthy and bruised, though the dirt hid the minor injuries. He pulled out a slightly soiled cloth from one of his pouches and poured some of his water onto it. A quick rub of hands cleared whatever filth was present, revealing a few bruises knuckles and fingers. The champion had really knocked his ass out, but it had been well deserved. Vordan had been cocky and he paid for it with a single hit to the ground. He could have won, but it had still been a good show for the folks watching. As for his face, he preferred not showing the bruises he had gotten.

The mercenary had stayed seated at his spot this entire time the others were dancing and conversing. It wasn't his typical behavior, but he didn't feel like really talking to these strangers. It was a Noble's party for departing guests. It wasn't a tavern, nor a hang out. It didn't feel right. He did, however, serve himself so food and water. It was only when the Lord had made his appearance that he had stood up and listened… So he was talking about them? Surely, he knew the premise of this gathering, but to honor them with gifts? Seems the old dwarf had some good friends and family, didn't he. Regardless, they were asked to approach, to which he saw the group gathering… A quick sigh escaped his lips and he used his cloth to clean up his face a little. Again, it revealed a few bruises along his jaw and cheeks, though not serious injuries. The others went there first, so he would wait until he needed to approach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elrithos and Esredia were the next to approach after Lucille, both smiling. Elrithos seemed to know exactly what was to come and so, he knelt down before the Lord. This action was rather odd for the tribal woman to look at, especially since she knew a little about the Aavikkanians, oddly enough. They rarely, RARELY bowed to anyone. So why… Elrithos had looked up to his friends and motioned her to do the same, just as the fur cloaks were put around his shoulders. It took a second, but Esredia figured out what was happening. She did the same as the desert warrior, receiving her own fur cloak… She touched the fabric, reminding her of her youth, beyond when she was a slave to bad men. It had been so long…

Elrithos rose to his feet to shake the hand of the Lord. "Thank you for the kind gift, Lord Farin." He motioned to the woman who seemed lost in her memories. "This is the descendent of Ysander, Esredia." Hearing her name, she lifted her head and stood up, looking at the Lord with a large smile. "Nice meet you. Thank you for gift." She said as she presented her hand to him.

~~ "Do not mention it old friend! I wanted to give everyone the hospitality of Durngan! May you never forget!" Farin gave a wide smile and a buffaw of a laugh before looking over to Esredia. He gratefully took her hand and applied a kiss to the back of it.

"Think nothing of it my dear!" He patted her hand, curiously taking in the woman's bright red eyes. "Anything for a relative of Ysander! It's good to see that his blood still lives in you! To be able to meet a mountain folk... It's a dream! I hope you enjoy this journey ahead of you!" He supplied her with a bright cheesy grin. ~~

"Durngan is hard to critic when you are here, Lord Farin." The man, compared to those who worked with him, had always shown interest in the people who visit and inhabit the city. He took great care of the welcoming image this city had and he did so with perfection. Not only that, but he was definitely giving a good impression on the mountain lady.

Esredia certainly wasn't expecting a kiss to her hand, which was strange at first. She had seen this been done before by her master at the time with the women he addressed himself to. Was it a welcoming sign? Regardless, she kept a smile and nodded. "Me will! Good friend with me." She explained, then had someone join them… It was the tall man with missing fingers.

Vordan bowed down to one knee to be at his level, then spoke up with a grin. "Get it over with so I can start doing something enjoyable of my night, Lord. I'm either gonna work, or I'm gonna party… And I was hoping to keep my work for tomorrow." He was getting into the mood now, even though it wasn't the kind of party he usually went to. Elrithos couldn't help but shake his head. "That is Vordan, the gentleman from Ellahur." Farin would get the message that he's the Maker, as they only come from that kingdom..

~~ Farin gave a guffaw of a laugh as Vordan approached, eager to get such an introduction over with. Elrithos kindly filled in the blanks and the lord fastened a fur cloak over the man's shoulders. "So you are the one Aaerynn spoke so highly of! And she never speaks highly of anyone!"

Again he laughed before he continued, "I hope my library was of use to you, young Maker! And may you know that your ability will of course be a well kept secret of Durngan. Ellahur won't even catch a whiff!"

The lord finally waved his hands, eagerly leading them back to Vordan's suggestion. "Now go my friends! Drink and be merry for this is what it's all about!" ~~

Speaks highly of? So the elven woman had spoken of him to the Lord? That was certainly a surprise to Maker. Yet, it still didn't take his thoughts of the past event he had to experience, which was more than disappointing. Putting meaningless displeasures like such aside, the man stood back up in his full stature. A grin washed over his lips as he spoke of the library. "I'll certainly be coming back here for some more research, if the Lord would allow me to." He had not doubt he would refuse.

The Lord suggested getting the party going, yet there was still one person missing to get her cloak. Vordan, for himself, simply nodded and took his leave to get some food in himself. Same went for the desert elf. That left Esredia to wait for Lillith to come forth and get her gift… Besides, she wanted to speak to the woman! She was nice in the tavern and they shared a good time.

Aaerynn had pulled away from the group as the introductions ended. She returned to her bag, slipping the fur cloak off her shoulders and folding it to rest beside her things. Hopefully it proved as an indicator that she was an honored guest and theiving fingers should stay away from her things.

In one hand she picked up her glass of wine and with the other she pulled a small narrow box that had been hidden away within the contents of her bag. It had been precisely picked with the scribbler in mind. Then the elf moved, her light blue eyes glancing across the large ballroom until she spotted the tall frame and the short light hair of the Maker.

As she approached him, she got a closer look at the bruises that were laid across his face as well as the dirt still smeared on his cheeks. Aaerynn called out to him to get his attention, "It looks like you've seen better days. What happened? Trampled by a stampede?"

There was humor and even light amusement in her soft voice. She stepped closer when he turned to her and she suddenly dragged a soft gentle finger across his cheek, swiping off some dirt. The elf pulled her hand away, pinching her fingers together to feel the consistency. Perhaps her wine had made her just a dash more bold. The box tucked under her arm.

~~~The food was simply exquisite, much to the likings of the Maker. He knew fine foods and delicious treats with his wilder life style, but this truly was a banquet of honor. Who in the celestials managed to create such a buffet? It was to say that he wasn't holding back too much, grabbing a handful of whatever he could stuff down his throat… Until the familiar voice came to ask about the obvious but not-so-obvious. With a simple turn, he swallowed down his mouthful of food and gave a light chuckle. Her hand reached up and brushed off what he had missed, which he was surprised he didn't do a better job at it.

"Well…" He said to start as he put down a piece of meat. "… It's more that the brawlers got a few shots in. Last guy I fought nailed me square on the jaw. I went straight for the floor." Vordan spoke about this so lightly, but it was because he was so used to it. It's not the first time he participated in these clearly illegal fights for money. He still made some cash, but it was ultimately for stress relief and blowing out steam. He quickly looked over to Farin, a smirk forming on his lips. "Quite the Lord he is… That Library was just wonderful. Might actual advance my projects faster than I intended."

Aaerynn clucked her tongue in disapproval but she shook her head with a tilting little smile. Who knew the Maker was quite the brawler? She hadn't expected it, so used to seeing him with his head down in his notes. What a surprise he was.

His mention of the library brought her back to the fact she hadn't seen him for a few days. Not since the fight with her brother, right after his healing session with Talia.

Not since he had found her sick within her room and left her the necklace.

"How are you feeling? Well... Besides the beating." Her voice was light as she asked, but obviously making a reference towards what had happened at the end of the night within the library. She was quiet, knowing it wasn't best to speak too loudly on such matters.

~~~Well, she took that better than he expected. Others usually looked at him with surprise when he mentioned brawls, wondering when the hell he ever had time to go do such a thing. Though, it would mean she wouldn't judge him for his actions. It was good to know. The conversation moved forth for her asking if he was doing good… The undertone definitely meant something in the more sensitive nature. It didn't come to him at first, replying about the past events. "Oh I'm good. Got my stuff done for the group projects. Gonna need to steal the twins and Tirian soon… And still have to figure out what to do for Lillith." He knew too little of her to even consider making something for her yet.

Then the undertone kinda hit him, to which he laughed to himself for his stupidity. "And I guess I'm fine in all manners of what happened these past few days. A few scares here and there, but nothing I can't handle… How about yourself? Still kicking?"

Of course his mind had immediately taken him to his projects. She shouldn't have expected anything more. Aaerynn wasn't surprised, in fact she adored it a bit. She watched as the gears in his head turned and he babbled a moment on what he was doing. The female elf enjoyed it, seeing the way his eyes lit up and it was as if he wasn't even looking at her anymore.

He finally caught on to what she had really meant, and the elf filled with relief to hear that he was doing alright under the circumstances. The Maker asked her about herself and she nodded, a light smile coming to her full lips. "Obviously still kicking. It's better."

The white lie left her lips smoothly with enough confidence in knowing the Maker wouldn't catch it. She hid the churning of pain in her chest by taking a sip of wine. It didn't matter. Her thoughts shifted to her conversation with Tirian just moments before. It wasn't worth it.

Aaerynn promptly shifted the conversation as she finally held out her box to him. "Here, it's to return the favor. It is not as... Great as the gift you gave me, but I hope it's useful."

As soon as he took the box, her hand went to his necklace that she was still wearing. As he opened it, he would find himself staring at a sturdy fountain pen. She had seen him with that quill, and figured he should upgrade. The elf found herself explaining, her voice lilting with excitement and nervousness. "All you have to do is pour your own ink inside. It lasts far longer than a quill! It's sturdy too! It won't break in your pack... I made sure it was hardy."

Her hand twiddled with the necklace nervously as she waited for an opinion. "I figured you should get with the times. Imagine an elf telling you that." She joked lightly, hiding her nervousness or attempting rather.

~~~Well, she at least seemed to be doing much better than when he left her room. Somehow, like a gut feeling, it wasn't exactly doing better, but she seemed fine right now. She could have realized something or healed a little or something… Vordan had yet to really know much about the Rot the elves suffered. It seemed so strange and farfetched. They didn't die naturally, which is what he would have expected from beings so close to nature.

He reached for his piece of meat, keeping his eyes on the elven woman… Until she pulled the box from under her arm. He hadn't paid too much attention to that, since he thought it was maybe something she would be selling to another poor sucker. It was presented to him, to which he took with curiosity. A gift…? He looked back up and noticed what she was playing with. So she did put it on after all. The smile on the man's face grew as he opened up the box, revealing a very particular contraption. With his right hand, he lifted the thing up, not immediately notice what it was. It was only when she explained what this was that he realized its use.

"How… Did you find one of this make?" It was unique as in was solid and seemed fitted for large fingers. He twirled it between his fingers, impressed. He wasn't one for these kinds of writing devices, just because of the larger print it created… But this one surely would fit. He seemed quite happy. Her witty joke came and he gave soft laugh. "You're probably right; it's time I move on from the old ways of the Makers… Thank you." He placed it back in the box and kept a hand around it. "So, does it work properly?" He said as he pointed to the necklace. "I'm pretty sure I made it work properly when I tried it."

He seemed pleased and the elf found relief, her own happiness blooming in her chest, her rot momentarily forgotten. It would get back at her, she was sure of it, but right now all she could find was a pleasing satisfaction that she had been able to get something for him that he liked.

She answered his question quickly, "A shop in the middle of town. They make their own paper. I saw it and thought it would... Suit you."

That last part was admitted with a feeling she rarely felt, embarrassment. But... It was satisfying to know she had been right, that she at least knew him well enough to know what he liked.

At his second question she paused and gave him a light smile. "Yes, it's incredible. I can't tell you how amazing it is. I... was able to learn so much in such short time. You're really incredible, scribbler."

Eventually she realized she was perhaps taking too much of his time. She swirled her wine and took a sip, hoping her cheeks flushing was just from the alcohol. Gods, perhaps she was more like the redhead then she cared to admit. Absolutely hopeless.

~~~She really hit the nail on the head with her assumption. He toke notes on a daily basis, ranging from very minor magical shifts to a whole schematic of an object he had made. If this pen was sturdy enough, then he would be making much better time in his note taking. A quick glance to the box, he nodded. "Yes, it's definitely something for me."

She explained how it had helped her and he was definitely glad to hear that it served a good purpose to her, though her compliments struck another chord. He also nodded, taking a proud stance. "Oooh please, I'm just a human with a unique talent…" He leaned onto the table now, knowing he wasn't going anywhere for the time being. "To say most people think I am just a mercenary that takes a lot of notes. Stupid, right? They don't even know what happens right under their eyes when I use my inventions." It was the boring truth… He couldn't tell many people about his magic.

"Hmmm… Say, Aaerynn, you know any human dances?"

"Don't oh please yourself. It may be a talent but it's the way you use it that shows your card. The number of Makers that used to waste away with useless things would surprise you." Aaerynn's voice was teasing before it became soft. "Whether you want to believe it or not, it is simply the opinion of a stubborn and old wood elf."

She took another sip of wine, and almost sputtered at his last question. "Do you not remember the night at the bar?" Talk about something embarrassing. Too much alcohol obviously made her into a fool. "You let me drag you out to dance... I apologize."

The wood elf set her wine glass down, feeling the alcohol enough to be cordial. "Unless the Maker is asking for another lesson, then I suppose I can oblige you."

Again, that tease was in her voice.

~~~He had no doubt that a lot of those who were capable of constructing magical objects wasted their time with trivial things, but at the same time, it was a building block to something bigger. There were the few exceptions that became greedy with it, but those, he wouldn't need to talk about. Instead, he went along with it, chuckling as she spoke of her opinion. "You don't look a day over your mid twenties."

She reminded the mercenary that they had danced, which was a detail that slipped his mind. Of course… How could he be so foolish? That night had been a pretty heavy one, though still filled with good instances. "Riiiight… Seems my memory is shot. I blame the magical liquids I drank when I got here." He seemed to be kidding, but he had done exactly so. Pushing himself off the counter, he offered his hand. "A new dance, an old one… Whichever. Just go easy on me though, I'm still sore from my last fight. The guy had fists the size of hams." A cheesy smile was on his lips, waiting for her to either take the lead or to find out if that magic potions had effects he still didn't know of.

A part of her was relieved that night had slipped his mind. She had been immediately reminded of the word vomit she had spouted on him. She had confessed fully to liking him that night, accepting him for who he was... Gods what a fool she was! But at least she was favored enough by the heavens to have the man forget. "Oh I'll be gentle, scribbler."

An actual smile made it to her lips as she took his offered hand and led them out onto the dance floor. "Do you remember the stance at all?"

She asked but didn't really allow him time to guess at it. Instead she placed one of his hands upon the curve of her waist. The other she held out with her own hand, while her free hand came to rest on his shoulder. Aaerynn looked up again, mildly happy that she got a dance with him while she was all dressed up. "Just remember the box."

Her voice was soothing as she began to gently lead him, carefully urging his body to take certain steps. Her smile grew a bit more pronounced as they swayed together in their own little corner of the floor. "Not so bad is it?"

~~~"I don't reme-." The words he uttered barely had time to come out when Aaerynn had taken the lead and positioned Vordan into the proper stance for the dance. One hand on her waist, the other held with her own. The memory of this exact positioning came back to him and he was thankful that he could at least be able to somewhat follow up with his partner.

"The box… Yes." It was slowly coming back to him, though Aareynn had to put him in his place to follow through with this simple dance. It came back pretty to him pretty face, and now that the events of the tavern were also coming to mind, he nodded to her with a light smile. "Not too bad indeed… I'm not used to dancing properly…" He admitted, not being the one for formal events like this. "I'm used to making a fool out of myself." He didn't seem to say it like it bothered him, but more to express his life style. They seemed a little off from the others who were dancing on the floor, but who gave a damn? They were the honored guests, right? "Good thing my ribs aren't too bruised."

It was an enjoyable experience for sure. "Never thought a day in my life I'd be dancing with an elf." He had to be honest, he wasn't held in high regard by elves when he visited them… Even less so given the nature of his work.

He certainly wasn't as graceful as the half elven prince, and Aaerynn was pretty sure the Maker would stumble over his feet at anything more complicated than this but... It was certainly more charming. With less alcohol in her system, she was able to properly enjoy it, a warm hand on the cinch of her waist, his other calloused hand held in her's with a few missing fingers, and the delicate sway of her skirts against her legs. She was scared to admit that it almost made her heart race.

Her lungs still not recovered from her recent peak of rot battled against her. Burning something fierce but the elf swallowed it down, unwilling to submit to it. Rot attempted to snatch up any happiness she was feeling but she chose to ignore it, focusing more on the music and the Maker's presence.

At his confession, a smile tilted up on her painted lips and she looked up at him. "What a lucky man, you've gotten two of them." Her voice was teasing. "A story to tell future generations! How one of the last remaining Makers was capable of getting not one but two waltzes with a North elf, who isn't really a North elf anymore."

She smiled with her own amusement.

~~~"In the end…" Vordan added with a light chuckle as he did his best to not be out of harmony with her steps. "You are Aaerynn. Not an exiled elf, not a wanderer, not an merchant. Just Aaerynn. Besides… That exile did give you the opportunity to meet this FINE group of people." He put a certain exaggeration to the word 'fine', since really; they seemed like a team of ragtag travelers. Legendary at best, strange and broken at the least.

Feeling more in the party mood now, he stepped forward towards the elven lady and dipped her down, an arm surrounding her waist and the other still grasping her hand. "I'm glad to have found you, you know. All of you guys, actually. Maybe this will let me complete my projects without being judged." Pain shot up through his ribs, to which he pulled her back up and he hissed in pain. "Shit… Bad idea…" He said with a pain stricken expression, though he held a grin to his lips.

Vordan had no idea what he was capable of doing to her. Her blue eyes widened as he expressed what she was, to him at least. Then he dipped her, and she looked up at him in surprise, blonde hair framing her pale face, full lips pursed with surprise.

I'm glad to have found you.

Aaerynn felt her heart lodge into her throat. He quickly followed with happiness to find the others as well, but the damage was done. Her pale face flushed momentarily and she was overwhelmed by feelings she had evaded for a century. It made her hands shake and her rot riot painfully within her but it didn't matter. "I'm glad I found you... And all the others." Her voice was breathless and she thanked gods at the sudden distraction as he pulled back up with a grunt.

Her face paled with a bit of worry as he hissed and the experienced elf placed a hand against where he had to be hurting. Swollen, bruised, but not broken. She shook her head and released a breath. "There's always something wrong." A light laugh left her and she peered up at him. "If you remind me, I'll gift you with some medicine that'll help soothe it, alright?"

All of this was going to kill her, she was sure of it.

~~~The way she replied certainly had made the mercenary question his own choice of words, wondering if he had said something that he shouldn't have. It was too late now, so he guessed he would have to go with what he said. For the time being, she had to comment about his condition, something he too took little care of sometime. He gave a quick nod as he touched his ribs, feeling the pain in touching it… The lack of alcohol was making the pain vivid. "I'll probably remember the moment I lay down…" He said, still with a hint of pain. "I told you he didn't miss me at all." He added with a shit eating grin.

He eventually got back into position for their dance, taking the pain as he could. "Might have to retire early from the party… I'm not used to saying that." He wasn't one to walk away from a good time, but it seemed he may have went overboard this time.

Aaerynn could see the pain in his face and she gave a half hearted sigh. The Maker had gone overboard, again. Pushing and pushing until his body broke down. That was the type of person he seemed to be though, consistently driving forward until he simply couldn't handle it anymore. He seemed to be a man capable enough to grasp the stars, if given enough time.

The music of their dance faded as the song came to an end. She wouldn't keep him, having put him through enough torture. The wood elf pulled away, and curtseyed for him, bowing her head. "Well it has been a pleasure, my good sir." Her voice was teasing, joking. "But I believe it is best for the young gentleman to retire for the evening."

The elf gave her own grin, bright on her smooth perfect face. "Thank you Vordan." Her voice was genuine this time.

~~~ Vordan immediately put a hand against his ribs when the dance came to a halt, his teeth grinding together, though seemed overall satisfied of their little interaction there. It had been a long time since he had danced, in any way shape or form, with a lady, and like previously mentioned, never with an elven maiden. This would probably go down in his notes, or maybe his journal.

Regardless of all this, he bowed as he could, grunting in pain. "It might be a good idea." He replied. "Thank you for the dance, Mi'Lady." A light laugh came to be at those words. Then, her thanks you was a little had been removed of that teasing nature, replaced by something that he was believed to be a true thanks. A gentle smile rose up on his lips as he nodded. "Thank you too… Oh, before I leave." He said as he grabbed his plate of food. "… If you ever wish to see the sun come up and set before we leave this place, I found a great place to see it."

Aaerynn lit up with surprise at his invitation to watch the sunrise, a sharing of a place he had found. Of course, it was just like him. Her mind teetered on the memories of him expressing the importance of a good sunrise and her chest filled with warmth. For once, her disease didn't cross her mind. For a split second the rot couldn't bother her. The elf's voice was soft and gentle, a small smile on her full lips. "Oh really? Perhaps I'll take you up on that offer."

With a greater smile spreading on his lips, he nodded. "Then I'll see you before the sun rises then. Though, if I don't wake up, knock at my door. I wouldn't want to miss it." He said as he winked at her and finally grabbed his things and moved on… Yup, this day had turned out a lot better than what he had expected. Finally, a breath of fresh air in this odd journey to the other continent.

Was that a stutter in her heart?

Look at her, no greater than the teenagers she had teased and warned. She knew it wasn't worth it, that Vordan was simply a good friend, that's what he would always be, but she couldn't stop the slight thrill that rushed through her. It was nostalgic and warm... Being excited to spend time alone with a man she liked. Gods, she was pathetic.

Aaerynn simply nodded to his request, trying to hold back her smile. But as Vordan moved to leave, the elf called out to him. "Scribbler, if you are returning to your room, find a window seat! Look towards the sky at the end of the party... Farin usually has a nice surprise."

Then she waved, letting him go.

----------------------
Once all of the introductions were made, the twins ended up rotating towards Rudolf, and Setna actually broke away for the moment, leaving his twin in the care of the old dwarf as he went to grab another plate of food.

But then he felt it.

It was something strange. A pulse of something indescribable. Magic? His head picked up as he looked around. The party guests were still laughing and mingling together. No one seemed suddenly distracted like he was. Weird... He caught sight of Elrithos and the others... But where was Tirian? Where was Lucy? He couldn't help feeling bothered by it...

Setna's dark eyes landed on his sister, who was chatting amicably with Rudolf and the Lord Farin. That gave him enough comfort to step out of the party for the moment, something not sitting well with him. He exited out to the balcony, connecting towards the winding road of the city. Where had he felt it from?

The Syndarean teenager kept walking until he caught sight of a familiar rumpled ball on the ground, with a bright shade of pink hair. "LUCY!"Setna was immediately running, skidding to a stop beside the down assassin who was shaking like a leaf. The teenager knelt down beside her, cautiously placing a hand on her back. "Lucy?" His voice was softer and warmer, trying to get her to realize it was him. "You alright?"

~~~Lucille remained motionless on the ground, her frame seized by the fear of magic from the depths of hell. Warm hands grabbed at her taught skin, a sudden shock of life revitalizing her core. Warm blood rushed to her dominant hand that immediately pulled a hidden blade of cold steel and brought it to the throat of whatever was near her. The hazing over her cold eyes softened as blue hair came into clarity, just in time for her dagger to stop a hairs length from the major artery of Serna. Her voice solidified as her body rolled away from the awkward clutch of the Syndarean. Lucille gathered her thoughts before replying with a stern voice laced with disapproval.

"Thanks. Fine."

"Luce--" Setna was immediately cut off by the feeling of ice cold metal suddenly biting against the skin of his neck. It stopped just before slicing through and the teenager started to sweat, his eyes wide as he froze up completely. The terror an assassin could bring.

It took a second before Lucille seemed to finally recognize him, she drew back her blade and then rolled completely away from him, popping to her feet as if nothing had happened. Setna remained siting on the ground, completely bewildered. She was...fine?

"I sure as hell wouldn't call that fine Luce." The Syndarean took his time pulling himself back up on his feet, a hand coming to rub the spot on his neck she had nearly sliced through. "What are you doing all the way out here? You sure you're ok?"

Lucille gathered her emotions for a moment, the static of silence filling her ears, replacing the obnoxious ringing that came with the sudden shock of adrenaline rushing into the body. Her eyes adjusted on Setna, his face displaying an odd sense of worry. She shrugged her shoulders before standing to her feet an attempting a frail smile. It was sweet, the urgency the Syndarean before her hazed eyes had displayed. Lucille knelt forward to caress the boy's cheek and placed a simple kiss upon it before turning with some simple words of departure.

"Don't worry about it. I'll be fine with some fresh air."

Setna was left absolutely dumbstruck as he watched her leave, with wide eyes. Eventually one of his hands came up and pressed to his cheek that had been kissed....and he turned bright red. What exactly was that? His heart thundered in his chest and he looked to the ground, much like his sister. A girl had never kissed him like that before! Yet it was so strange... A part of him thought about quickly following after her, and making her tell him what was wrong. That wasn't Lucy... right?

Indecision and hesitation were his enemy once more as he simply remained standing and watched as the woman ambled off into the night. Strange. But what else could he do? His hand fell from his cheek, and slipped into his pocket as he turned on his heel and started heading back to the party.
---------------------
Aaerynn watched Vordan walk off with her gift beneath his arm and the wood elf felt...happy. Her gift was well received, and she had something to look forward to in the morning. For once in a very long time she felt, well, light. There was a lightness that blossomed within her chest and she was able to forget about the worth of relationships, and the need to stamp down any desire and will to be happy, as she returned to her table. She was just as foolish as any other. Unable to tell if the lightheadedness was from the alcohol or the fact that Vordan wished to share a sunrise with her.

But of course, everything good eventually tumbles down.

The surge of pain came on quick, just as she was rising to get herself some food. The wood elf was able to distance herself into a corner as she felt her airways close and fill with a liquid that she desperately tried to cough up. It burned, and her bodied riled at it, muscles tensing and twitching, the damage she had caused in these few days was more than apparent. She was breaking down much faster than usual.

The blonde elf held a hand to her lips as she practically spat up black blood. She couldn't breathe, her skin feeling as if it was trying to split open. Aaerynn tried to swallow it down, willing her body to just stop. Just let her live to the next continent. That's all she wanted. Just a chance. She suddenly felt a hand carress her cheek, cold and clammy. Fingertips danced across the curve of her neck and Aaerynn turned viciously to verbally lash out at whoever had the nerve to touch her.

But there was no one.

Aaerynn was left breathing heavily, trying to calm down. Was she going crazy? Possibly. Gods...if there were any... just let her live a few more months. Just let her breathe the air of the next continent, then take her, strike her down as they saw fit. But she just wanted some more time. Just a little bit more.

She was left shaking weakly as slowly the pain ebbed away, but the damage was left over. It was a constant insufferable reminder and the wood elf clenched her fists in response. She would live through this. She would survive this. Just a little bit longer. Besides...she had a sunrise to live for tomorrow.

Aaerynn refused to let this soil her evening though and so, on weak trembling legs, she left to get more alcohol, and something to eat.
---------------------
The evening continued on all the same.

Eventually Setna found his way back to Farin's estate, rubbing his cheek all the while. That had been weird. Extremely weird. What the hell was Lucy up to? Something had to be... off, for sure. His dark eyes lifted as he entered into the lit up ballroom, and he easily made his way back to his sister's side, who looked worried. Seems Tirian had ambled off too... This night was getting weirder and weirder. Didn't mean they had to stop enjoying it though.

It was then that Farin's voice lit up the room as he urged everyone out to the balconies and out into the night air. The dwarf eagerly pointed to the sky, and at his countdown suddenly lights lit up in the sky. It came with a shattering boom that buzzed in the twins' chests. Both of their eyes widened, followed by even wider grins as their was a whistle, a boom, and a burst of color in the sky.

They would learn later that this was their first time viewing fireworks.

It was amazing, the whole sky lit up in a single burst of blinding color before the sparks flew and faded. The whole city of Durngan could enjoy them, peeking from windows and some people entered the streets or climbed on rooftops to get a better view.

It was breathtaking.

----------------------
The party cleared away, the remnants of the celebration strewn about the floors and tables. Guests filtered from the scene until the ballroom was left with two dwarves and volunteer cleaners. Rudolf's face was still red from ale and his nephew's wasn't any paler as they sat together on the steps of the grand staircase, arms wrapped over shoulders.​

"Fine party m'boy! Exceptional!" Rudolf hiccuped and laughed as Farin lifted his jug of ale in a cheers.

It had been a fine going away present, and all the splendor of Durngan had been put on display. It seemed Rudolf's group of weary travelers had had a swell enough of a time, seeing as the trip through the desert wouldn't bring such feasts.

The pot bellied dwarf stood, running a hand through his white beard as he clumsily waddled down the steps, his nephew following after. It was time for a good night's rest, for tomorrow would bring a new hardship as they traveled through the mountain edge.

Just as Rudolf hit the last step, suddenly the doors to the giant ballroom were thrust open and in came sprinting a 12 year old boy, followed quickly by Farin's guards who tried desperately to tackle the boy down. Eventually one got hold of him and dwarf and boy slid across the polished floor, landing unceremoniously at Rudolf's feet. Desperate bright eyes of the youth stared up at the old dwarf and began sputtering, far too loudly. "You're Rudolf! You're going to the next continent! Ya gotta take me with you!"

Frantically beneath the dwarven guards, the boy pulled out a pouch of all sorts of coins and crumpled up bills. "I'll pay ya! I won't get in the way! You're the only one that can help me get across to see my family so please!"

Rudolf was left shocked, before giving an answer.

Tirian awoke to the Sun's infinite light, a warm sense of peace took over the forefront of the prince's mind. His body lurched forward slowly as oxygenated blood flowed freely into the still sleeping muscles, a loud and obnoxious yawn erupted from his mouth for a moment or two. The prince turned atop the fabric until his bare feet rested atop stone floor, the cold touch sent a humanly shiver across his entire body. The shiver forced his memory to the past evening and to that unbearably evil feeling. Something so evil and so powerful that even the beast of Duranadal felt an unfamiliar feeling of terror. Quickly though he pushed the thoughts and feelings to the back of his mind as today was a new day, and a certain Syndarean had slacked her training for too many days.

The prince donned his regular attire and assured his blade was strapped securely to his dominant waist-side before exiting the room with the remaining gathering of his belongings. Tirian stopped half-way downed the carved hallway knocking twice on a certain door, and began to wait patiently for the inhabitant to answer.

~There was the sound of something falling and rumbling, a thud and a high pitched shriek before suddenly the door opened to reveal Setna who looked out blearily, still asleep. He yawned as he realized who it was, and opened the door further so the prince could enter. "Yo Tirian." He said mid yawn before turning to enter the room as he shouted. "Now you have ta get up Serie! Teacher's here."

Serna suddenly propped up, her hair a wild mess as she blinked blearily, rubbing her eyes like a kid.
"I'm comin... I'm coming..." She stepped out of the bed, only to stumble. Yawning, before righting herself.~

"Mornin'"

Tirian returned a warm smile as Serna's voice cut through the air right into the warrior's heart, an unfamiliar stuttering occurring within his chest. The prince quickly shoved the memory down into the pits of his stomach and waved to the waking Syndarean.

"I hope you're ready. Today will be a tough training day."

Tirian waitied a moment longer until Serna was prepared to depart from the cozy mansion. Tirian held himself in silence as he walked, keeping pace with Serna's steps as to not leave her behind as she continued to join the living realm. Tirian held the stone doors for Serna and continued onward leading the maiden into the courtyard out of view from the rest of the carved housing.

"We will train her for today."

A sudden voice came out from the horizon, cold and icy.

"I hope you're prepared for a rest as well. I can't allow an incompetent teacher to teach, while dabbling in unconventional ways of teaching."

Auriel Demeria, the Ice Queen stepped forward from the shadows fully geared for an oncoming war. Her eyes held a certain seriousness within the yearning twinkle of her desire to test her brother. Curiosity drove her mad, just how strong had the warrior gotten in these last few years.

"I want to see how you both fight as a pair. When you're ready."

~Serna stumbled a bit as she walked, thankful for the prince's kind support as he slowed to stay at her side and not leave her in the dust. The Syndarean patted her cheeks, trying to prepare herself. The fun and games were over, it was back to hard work and traveling. Eventually she woke up enough to walk straight, straightening her hair out with her fingers.

Her eyes brightened as they entered a courtyard and the young woman was looking forward to training again. The incident with the general was still fresh in her mind. She hadn't done enough then... She wanted to get stronger...

Serna's breath hitched in her throat however as suddenly Tirian's sister entered from the shadows, and expressed an interest to fight. The navy haired girl glanced back to the red haired prince. "F-Fight?" She stuttered before looking back to Aurial. "U-Us?"~

Auriel drew her blade and approached the duo, a blinding flash of metallic as the elf bypassed Tirian and immediately opted to attack his defensive source first. Tirian drew his blade and intercepted his half-sister directly clashing his weapon against her own. The power behind her blade easily overpowered the prince which followed a quick kick that sent Tirian to the ground. The prince gathered himself and quickly blocked the assailant once more.

"Have you grown soft?"

Tirian spit to the side in disgust and launched his own strikes. Auriel deflected each attack with ease, a smirk coming to her face as she continued to bounce the prince's blade backwards with every feeble strike. However the tide soon turned as the prince stepped forward into a powerful thrust that sent Auriel sliding.

"So you've been holding back. I see. No more games."

Auriel snapped her fingers and launched five icicles screaming forward. Tirian responded quickly with flames of his own to melt the attack. However the mist created an attacking point to which Auriel utilized to slap the prince's weapon away and swung her sword as if to slay the man without hesitation

~Before the elf's blade could reach its intended target it was bounced back, colliding with a light barrier that held strong against the piercing blade. The barrier suddenly contorted and twisted, becoming a wall that blocked Auriel from getting to Tirian, hoping to give the prince time to pick up his blade.

Serna stood back, arms up in front of her. Those dark eyes of her's were unblinking and narrowly focused on the duel. She had anticipated each step, each swing, each sudden flash of magic. She had struck just in time to protect her teacher and she waited with fierce determination to adjust at any moment's notice to Auriel's sudden movement.~

The Ice Queen stepped backward with a slight twinkle of awe in her eyes. The elf sheathed her blade and turned her back to the group.

"Keep it up kid. Not too bad."

Tirian gathered himself, his blade and them stood to a full posture while returning the weapon to its scabbard. His eyes watched the elf disappear into the distance before finally turning to Serna with a warm smile.

"That was amazing on your part. Have you been practicing at all?"

~Serna's eyes widened as suddenly it was over. Her shoulders slumped as Auriel sheathed her blade and stepped away, giving a farewell as she returned to the shadows from whence she came. The Syndarean just stared in mild shock, wondering exactly what that was all about. She was pulled from her thoughts however as Tirian approached her with a warm smile and Serna quickly returned it, beaming a grin much like her brother's.

"I t-trained with Setna a b-bit!" Confidence radiated in her face but it was quickly cut in two as suddenly blood dribbled down her nose, and her pale fingers went to her face to help stem it. "A-h, shoot!"~

Tirian's eyes shifted with concern as his dominant hand acted on instinct and quickly caressed Serna's cheek. This thumb wiped the dripping blood away from her button nose as her words came out with a lull tone, guilt laced between the syllables.

"Are you okay? I think we've covered everything for today. Take it easy. Don't pushy yourself. Relax."

~Serna blinked and immediately turned red as the prince's calloused hand gently touched her cheek. Her heart fluttered and quickly lodged into her throat as if capable of hiding and for a second she honestly thought she was going to die from the briefest of touches from Tirian.

The Syndarean quickly looked down to the ground, eyes wide as she kept a finger under her nose to stop any left over bleeding. "I-I-I-It's ok! D-Doesn't hurt, j-j-ust getting used to ch-changing forms s-s-so quickly!"

Tirian nodded, retracting his hand and then hitting the ground with a groan of pain.

"Just gonna... nap here. Get me up when it's time to leave."

The use of Tirian's flame magic drained the man of his energy, this was his secondary kickback to such a quick use of that extreme magic. Auriel knew this and simply wanted to see how the duo acted. Her eyes watched from a distance with a smile at the prince's quick reaction to the Syndarean's kickback.

"Mother would be proud."

[dash=red]You are sitting in darkness, unable to move. Your arms are at your sides, and legs beneath you, but they are far too heavy to move any longer. Your head has decided to loll onto it's side and you are made aware of drool that slides down the corner of your parted lips, trailing down your chin and dribbling onto some type of fabric that covers your chest. It is wet and uncomfortable. Your skin has begun to chafe, an indication that you have been drooling for quite some time, and perhaps someone has given up on continually wiping your mouth.

You get the notion that you are sitting in a room.

Something is propping you up in a sitting position, it's hard, perhaps wood. A chair, maybe? Your back is supported, and your knees are bent, feet planted on the floor. Sitting, yes. Your body, however, is nothing but dead weight, limp, weak. Your muscles do not heed your commands. Not like it matters. You are tired. You have been tired for ages. But the pestering voices will not stop. Just at the crest of sleep, another speaks up and you are inclined to listen, before it quiets again and the circle of awareness and asleep rotates once more.

There are others in the room.

If you pay further attention, you can hear the softness of muffled conversations.

"Looks like a messenger..." "....Desert..." "Aavikanians expose him." "...You don't."​

"Blazing Wind. War Dancer. Quicksilver all the same."

There is the sound of a thunk, metal hitting wood.

Oh, it seems you have control of your tongue. You tap it against your teeth curiously, before protruding it from your lips. You attempt to lap the drool from the corner of your lips to no avail, quite sure you merely spread the fluid across the skin of your chin. The conversation shifts.

"This one...female..." "Curious... red eyes?" "Any idea of race? Location?" "Doesn't matter." "Surely..." "I will..."

Oh dear. It seems your jaw has opened, your mouth gaping wide. You stretch your tongue to lick the fronts of your teeth, lazily. Square teeth. Is this one rotted? The sound of your breathing is a curious sound too. A wheeze that constricts your throat. One. Two. Three. Un. Deux. Trois. Unus. Duo. Tres. In. Pause. Out. Pause.

"Fingers? Why does this say fingers?" "6'2. 210 pounds." "....Ellahur..." "Curious... Oh look at him. He wants..."​

Your fingers have come to life. You stretch them out, skin turning taught, crevices opening, hearing the twinge and crack of knuckles. Then you start drumming. One, two, three. Un, deux, trois. Unus, duo, tres. The tap is a luxurious rhythm upon the wooden chair. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. How charming it is. You could do this all day. Tap. Tap. Tap. One. Two. Three. Tap. Tap. Tap. Un. Deux. Trois. Tap. Tap. Tap.

There is the sound of boots as some one approaches. You feel fingers beneath your chin. Your teeth snap together as your jaw is shut tight.[/dash]

A long night of restlessness passed over and left Lillith in a fit of discontent. It wouldn't be long before their group reached the port town and then she could finally go about her own way. It wasn't that she disliked the group but rather held discontent for humans as a whole. Her fear of companionship deeply instilled by the teachings of her religion, perhaps she was the one to blame for such irrational feelings. Nevertheless she found herself standing with bare feet shivering against the icy stone floor. The mystic went on with her morning routine of bathing and slipping into comfortable clothing, adding the warm cloak given to the group the previous night. She exited the room after grabbing the rest of her possessions and followed the winding hallway of artisan stone. Eventually Lillith found her way to the outside world, a bright ray of sunshine temporarily blocking her sense sight. Blindness subsided and left the exotic beauty with a beautiful view of the Dwarven capital and a fragrant scent of fresh air. She decided to rejoin the caravan's carts and opted to climb into one and gather a few more hours of sleep before departing yet again. She would do better in congregating with the others. It was only fair. Right?

[dash=red]You? There is no you now. But there is an I. You are I. I am you. I am.

I am sitting in the same chair in the same room, my arms dead weight at my sides, legs supposedly bent beneath me. Frankly, I'm still not sure whether they still exist or not since I cannot see them, per se. But this time my head is tilted back, neck extended and exposed like a bird's to a butcher. The saliva has settled at the back of my throat. No more drool. No more drool. But there is certainly enough to gurgle! I rather like gurgling. Not necessarily the feeling, you see, since it's rather close to the sensation of drowning. No one likes that. Well I suppose someone must. There's always that singular person capable of enjoying such a sensation, of course. But not I, no, I like the sound. Sort of like bubbles, you see. Sometimes I imagine my throat has become a fish. The kind that gapes and lets oxygen flow through the gills and out the mouth, bubbling in the back of my throat. Blub blub blub blub. See? Quite enjoyable. Glub glub glub glub. You could make a song simply from gargles and gurgles if you wanted to!

"This one..." "Silver hair." "Strange looking.." "Could it be?" "Electus." "...Returning from a pilgrimage." "Fuck..." "...the
War Dancer...this...."

"No worry, I vill crush beneath boot!"

"...Don't get your loincloth in a twist. It smells bad enough back here as it is."​

Now to understand the proper usage of a song of gurgling, you must be capable of creating higher frequencies of the vocal chords. See, vocal chords, or reeds, or folds as particular people are used to naming such things, are simply twin infoldings of mucous membrane stretched horizontally, from back to front, across the larynx. They vibrate, modulating the flow of air being expelled from the lungs during phonation. Now to control the pitch, or shall we say the distinct note of our precious gargle, it all depends on the muscles surrounding the voice box! As you can guess, a collection of saliva rests in the back of the throat, so we must breathe through the nose. Inhale. Un. Deux. Trois. Or if you prefer, one, two, three. There is also the elvish mine atta nelde. Or maybe the devilish, unus duo tres. Either way we breathe in, and then we let the exhale do the work as we gargle at the different pitches, now follow after me...

Oh dear, it seems someone is not quite as fond of this little diddy as I am. I can feel those fingertips beneath the jaw before they push up and slam my teeth back together with an audible click. The shock of it all forces me to swallow the collection of saliva. Such a shame that they don't wish to listen.

But you, you are listening, aren't you?[/dash]

With his nephew's influence, Rudolf could only expect nothing short of grandness as his caravan was brought out into Farin's courtyard. All wheels were tuned, leaks and holes from arrows nicely patched, and oxen were of course well fed and groomed.

"I promise again Sir, I won't get in the way. Thank you, thank you."

The voice at his side was the young boy that had so eagerly come sprinting his way after Farin's gala. The boy had begged, tossing money and willing to prostrate himself at the feet of the dwarf, all for the chance to return home to Thialea. It was as the dwarf feared. The continent of his contract was becoming besieged with war and heart break. Enough so that a young boy came to beg, just for the chance to see whether or not his family had survived. It had pulled at the old dwarf's heart strings, who would usually turn away a boy of such young age. But he found he simply couldn't refuse.

"Ya just keep outta eye shot whenever there's trouble, you hear?" Rudolf clapped a hand on the boy's shoulder before giving that goofy old grin he was known for. "Come along then, I'll show you around."

Rudolf wobbled ahead, pointing out different carts, eventually he pulled himself to view inside a usually empty one, only to find a curled up woman with dashing silver hair. "Good morning Lady Lillith!" The dwarf bellowed.

--------------​
The voice bellowed with enough strength to drag the sleeping beauty from a much needed nap. Her eyes opened slowly, squinting against the harsh sunlight and focusing themselves on an old dwarf she had come to know as Rudolf. A thin smile crossed her petite lips as she gave Rudolf a respecting nod as she stretched her body and slid out of the cart. Her eyes came to the boy who seemed to be cheerful on the outside, yet the woman's stomach screamed with instinct. First impressions were everything to her people and this impression was not one of good intentions. Lillith furrowed her brow for a moment before acknowledging his presence, tone shaky and unsure.

"A new traveler? Non Credere. Thank you for the bright awakening good dwarf. I must get my things together. Please excuse me."

Lillith gave a low bow before excusing herself past the general bad feeling this boy gave off. Once she had been out of sight, her eyes flashed and became entirely white. Her special gift that allowed the sight of magic possessing beings showed her this boy was nothing more than a child. Her eyes shimmered before returning to their natural hue, fuzzy and losing focus as her kickbacks began to take over. She did not like this child, not one bit. But she trusted the Dwarf's intentions and judgement.
-----------------​
Before Rudolf could even utter any more of a greeting, or at least introduce the lad, she was up and out. The old dwarf blinked a moment, pulling away to watch the silver haired lass making a bee line away from them. "Well then..."

Arther clasped a hand on the strap of his bag as he too, watched the woman walk off. "She doesn't trust me." He said softly, almost forlornly. "Non Credere. No trust."

The dwarf hopped off the wagon, before placing a rough hand on the boy's head, ruffling the brown strands. "Don't pay any mind! We've all had a rough start, it's gonna take awhile before ya gain any trust. Just do your best to keep yourself alive, and out of the way."

With that, Rudolf gave a slap to the boy's back, enough to stun him, leaving him to cough while the dwarf made a guffaw of a laugh. "Alright then, I'll introduce ya when the others start comin' around."​

The wood elf had recovered enough to break away from Vordan and the sight of the breaking sunrise. She was able to pull herself together, alone, and gather the last remaining supplies she needed. A new dwarvish dagger hung on her hip as she carried her bag of supplies to the stables, asking for Baineth. That is where the stable boy informed her that her horse had already been taken by the northern wood elves and Aaerynn gained a bitter smile. Of course.

It didn't hurt as much as expected. It was better for the mare to return to the forests. She was not ready for the harshness of the desert, and it was the sight of Kai as well, who bounded to her and lapped at her eagerly, that helped to soothe the blow. The boy handed her a letter with her name on it, and Aaerynn recognized the lettering as that of her brother's. The wood elf did not say a word as she grasped it and shoved it into her pack.

With a snap of her fingers she led the wolf back to Rudolf's caravan that was practically being put on display.

~~~Tirian's eyes shot open, energy returning to his body following the quick clash of strength between himself and older sister Auriel. Remnants of exhaustion remained as his thoughts gathered once more to that odd feeling of evil that seemed to have flourished near near the king's residence. I wonder if anyone else felt that. Maybe Aaerynn would be my best bet. Tirian quickly kipped upwards, landing on his feet just to turn around and head towards where the exiled elf had been preparing for the next portion of their journey. He stopped to the elf's right side leaning towards her to whisper so that nobody else could hear his words, a serious tone lacing his syllables in the language of his people.

"Did you anything last night feel very unnatural to you? I experienced a very, VERY powerful presence of evil for a brief moment. Just wanted to bring it to your attention and get an opinion."

Tirian pulled back to a normal posture, smiling a bit through the worried expression that plagued his ocean-hued eyes. He couldn't have been the only one that felt whatever it was that gave off such an awful feeling.~~~

Aaerynn was focused on the task at hand, lifting her bag and things onto one of the carts. It was hard. Her breathing hadn't recovered and neither had her lungs after her rot had kicked up in the morning. Each breath burned in her chest, coming with a soft wheeze. She felt tired, each step and each task taking a toll on her, requiring more air that was hard to grasp a hold of. Was this what it felt like to be dying? What if the next time her rot rioted, her throat would be closed for good and she suffocated to death? What if her lungs were already too far gone to be saved?

Fuck this.

She leaned against the cart to catch her breath, and that was where Tirian found her. He came to the side, and the wood elf caught onto his whispers. A powerful presence of evil? Last night? What? She stood up straighter as she looked at him with bewilderment. Did she sense it? No, it couldn't.... Aaerynn's eyes widened as she placed a hand to her ribs and she remembered her rot from the night before. The feeling of hands touching her. Was that? Could that have been the cause for her sudden deterioration? Her light brows furrowed in thought.

She couldn't tell any more.

~~~The clicking of heels radiated from Tirian's back-side as an icy presence soon hovered over the now gathered trio. Auriel gave Tirian an odd look before turning her expression towards Aaerynn. She seemed to be digesting her appearance, studying every curvature, every nook and cranny. Silence claimed the conversation for the longest moment before Auriel placed a hand upon the opposite shoulder of Aaerynn and spoke. Her tone was low and worrisome.

"I understand your pain fellow elf. You've not long for this world. If I may, what caused it."

Tirian glanced toward Auriel, anxiety suddenly claiming his heart in a fit of misunderstanding. His eyes moved from Auriel to Aaerynn trying his best to understand just what the hell his sister is talking about.~~

Aaerynn looked up in surprise to see the Ice Queen herself, but her eyes widened further as Auriel finally put to words what she was feeling. You've not long for this world.

The blonde wood elf looked away, down at the ground, her hands clenching against her ribs. "How do you know? Is it that obvious?" Her voice was weak, a soft whisper.

~~~Auriel shook her head showing an emotion of worry in her eyes. Tirian gazed up to his sister, seeing the odd sadness and turned towards Aaerynn feeling his heart sink at the thought of losing the elf. She had become a very important part of the convoy and a dear friend to the warrior. Tirian held himself in silence as his knowledge on Aaerynn's blight was not the sharpest, in truth he had no idea what the 'rot' actually was. His thoughts broke as Auriel withdrew her hand a bit, holding her palm outwards so that Aaerynn could see it clearly. With her free hand she drew a blade of minuscule length placing the razor edge against her palm. A moment of hesitation passed before she cut into her flesh just enough for darkened blood to break the surface. Tirian eyed the murky substance for a moment before gathering himself to the conclusion that Auriel and Aaerynn had been afflicted by the very same disease. Silence claimed the conversation yet again, briefly before Auriel opted to speak in a low tone, laced with worry and concern for the elf before her.

"I've lived a long life. A millennium and a half to be exact. I have seen elves perish from the rot more times than I can possibly count. I understand your pain physically. Emotionally. I can't offer a cure for you, medically speaking because there is none. I knew of only one elf who survived the rot. Sadly she is no longer with us. I began to rot personally after losing my mother and Tirian. I became grievous, unable to accept the world of war for what it was. I've taken life from nearly every breathing thing that has crossed my path. What I am trying to say is, if you don't accept who and what you are you'll be meeting the dirt before you know it."

Auriel closed her hand and returned a gaze to her younger brother. Tirian took his eyes off of the queen, stepping towards Aaerynn and suddenly embracing her. His cheek came to rest against her own, his breath rushing against the clammy skin of her neck. His heart seemed to slow down as elvish left his lips, a lull tone of sadness entering the air for Aaerynn to hear.

"I don't want to lose you, I have a promise to get you to the other continent. Don't you forget that. You've got family in me and most certainly in the rest of this group. Don't give up yet. I won't let you." ~~~

In their dance together, Tirian had told her that his sister suffered from Rot, but it was much more real now as Auriel's blade bit into her skin and the black oozing of rotting blood made itself apparent. They were certainly suffering the same plague. Though Auriel's blood was still fresh, Aaerynn's had progressed too far, enough so, that flesh was crumbling along her insides. Auriel didn't offer the chance of a cure, for Aaerynn knew all too well there wasn't one, having tried herself for a good century. Even though Vordan had promised to help her when they had had their evening in Cromerth, the thought on her behalf was the only kindness such a promise could bring.

Acceptance though... It was much easier said than done.

She wasn't able to really respond to Auriel as Tirian suddenly stepped forward, and embraced her. The wood elf's eyes widened as he spoke in familiar elvish, his accent wasn't too bad either, in fact it made her tweak a smile. His words too, that lilted gently against her ear, and the way his arms tightened... they were all comforting. She was so unused to contact like this, and it was easy to see in the way she awkwardly lifted her arms to press her hands to his back. A sort-of return to the hug. "Ah." Aaerynn answered softly. "Yeah, you owe me a plot of land remember? Going to start my own little shop, and live plenty years more."

Her voice was gentle but Tirian would be able to hear the struggle that was in every word as she simply tried to breathe. There was a wheeze at each inhale of her breath, that she was trying her best to quiet. It was obvious, even to the ill-informed, that she was struggling and perhaps suffering.

~~~

"Good."

Tirian smiled as he pulled away from Aaerynn, sensing the struggling that came with her whispered words. Her pain laced the air like poison straight to the man's heart, a skipped beat causing his throat to close for a moment as anxiety set in only for an instant. He reached for his neck, digging beneath the cloth of his shirt and pulled out a locket that had seen many days of wear. A single rune was etched on the back, elvish for a life of happiness. Tirian unhooked the necklace and put it around the neck of Aaerynn before pulling away again.

"It has brought me luck. I hope the same is true for you." ~~~

Aaerynn blinked in surprise, watching with a critical gaze as he came close and suddenly brought a necklace to her throat. Her hand grasped it, recognizing that it was aged and as soon as Tirian pulled away, the wood elf attempted to unhook. "Tirian, don't. Don't give me something like this." There was pain in her eyes as she moved to take it off.

"There is no need to feel such pity. This is important is it not? Give it to someone just as important. This rot I suffer is a punishment for my own sin. There's no need to feel bad for me or to be anxious, alright?" The blonde elf bundled the necklace into her palm and held it out to the prince. "I've lived a long time. Whether I die sooner or later is no matter. This pain is nothing, I'm just... very tired."

Whether she was admitting to being tired in this solitary moment, or tired of the century long struggle with this plague was hard to tell. But she gave a soft smile, appreciative of his gesture.

~~~Tirian stepped backwards shaking his head. It was Auriel who placed her hand onto Aaerynn's own, a softening look coming across her eyes in a moment of silence. She spoke after some hesitation as if she were conflicted in her own feelings at the sight of such a precious item being placed into someone else's grasp.

"Please, keep it."

Tirian gave the elf a smile before adding words of his own.

"I do not pity you. I care for you. I love you as if you were my own sister. Consider it a token of my promise to you. When, not if. When we make it to the other continent you may give it back if you like." ~~~

Both Auriel and Tirian seemed to corner her with it, and she grasped that the object in her hands was incredibly important. She brought it back to her chest, feeling unworthy of it. But she knew the red head was as stubborn as they come, almost idiotically so.

So she wouldn't refuse. Instead she clasped it around her throat, and it came to rest just above the gem that Vordan had given her. "I will keep it safe then, until we get there." Aaerynn looked to Tirian and provided the half elvish prince a small smile of gratitude.

She didn't know if she could deal with more brothers, but perhaps having one so clumsy as the redhead, wouldn't make her suffer so. The wood elf both watched as Auriel and Tirian retreated from her, the redhead catching up with the female Syndarean and Aaerynn sighed softly, her hand falling from the necklace to the side of her ribs.

You've not long.

--------------------​

Setna was silent as he picked up both his and his sister's things, torquing his body to toss the bags and cloaks onto a cart. He couldn't stop himself from mulling over what had happened the night before. The feeling he had during the banquet, he had even gone on a morning run to get himself out of the funk but... The teenager looked to his hand, clenching his fingers into a fist a few times, before looking up as his sister and Tirian came into view. A smile immediately came to his face as he approached them, but it diminished upon seeing the ring of dried blood around his twin's nostrils. "Rough practice?" His dark eyes went from Serna to Tirian.

"Don't look like that!" Serna smiled brighter than her brother. "I d-did really well! I protected T-Tirian from a blow from his sister!"

The pride in her voice made Setna grin again, his dark eyes alight with his surprise. "Yeah?" He looked to Tirian as if seeking confirmation. But as the teenaged boy looked to the lost prince, his mind drifted a moment to when he trained with his sister. The feeling he had gotten then too. Maybe he could make something out of this. "Actually, I was wondering if you'd train me a bit too."

~~~Tirian gave an odd shrug to Setna as he gazed for confirmation of the twin sister's claims. His brows perked however, as the young man brought up training with a subtle tone. It was odd, Setna had been receiving adequate training from Elrithos and perhaps that was not enough. Tirian scanned the Syndarean over for a moment as his brain comprehended the situation at hand. His methods of combat were something that should not be passed on, especially to someone so young and inexperienced. But perhaps...

"The things I have learned are not meant for such a young soul. You'd need a good reason to convince me why Elrithos' training isn't enough." ~~~

Setna blinked before he held his hands up. "I uh. I don't mean like, physical training." The boy rubbed the back of his head with his hand, scratching his scalp awkwardly. His dark eyed gaze found his sister's and she simply smiled and walked on over to the cart, to let the two speak.

The boy watched his twin for a moment, before gazing back to Tirian. It wasn't like he couldn't tell his sister, or shouldn't, but this was weird as hell for him. "You... uh." How the heck do you explain something like this? He looked up and his hand fell from his head as he straightened in front of Tirian. "Lately I've been able to... er feel... stuff."

He held his hands up and his fingers danced. "I felt it first when sparring a bit with Serna. And last night... Don't call me crazy but I just... felt something bad."

The teenager frowned, before placing a hand upon the blade at his side. "You taught Serna to... feel the magic in trees, in nature, right? Is it... I don't know... Possible for me to do the same? The sword at my side is said to nullify magic, and if I have the ability to feel it. It would be an advantage, you know?" He looked back to Tirian, a concerned frown on his face.

~~~"I felt it too. Odd that you would be able to pick up something like what without being born with magic."

Tirian found himself in a fit of confusion, his thoughts finding themselves back to the other night and that odd feeling of darkness that seemed to engulf reality entirely. What was even odder was Setna feeling it as well, giving a bit of discredit to to Tirian's theory of that feeling being magically based. Tirian turned his attention back to the Syndarean with a bit of gloom in his face.

"It's possible but it would take years for someone as yourself to do so. Serna is capable because she has magic flowing within her blood. Training as I do with Serna poses a great risk to both of us, a risk of our souls linking together. I could only imagine what would happen if three souls combined in that manner. The best I could do is tell you what to look for."

Setna stared vacantly and rather dumbfounded as Tirian brought up soul linking. What? He blinked a few times before scratching the back of his head. Well... it didn't sound good so, probably best to avoid that entirely. "Well, alright. Let me know what to look for then?"

The teenager wasn't necessarily looking to become 'one' with magic or anything. All he wanted to do was become a bit more aware of it.

~~~A icier voice caught the conversation, Auriel interjecting herself into the situation with a smirk of sorts on her pale face.

"I know elves who have spent their lives trying to train themselves to be away of magic, I hate to break it to you, but you won't be able to do it in this life time."

Tirian nodded with his sister's words, before continuing.

"She's right."

Auriel stepped forward extending her hand to touch the boy's chest.

"I can teach you how to combat magically inclined beings if you wish."

Setna actually jumped at the sudden icy voice. The only other time he had heard it was when he had been watching over Tirian and Serna after the fight with the General. And she had placed a blade of ice against his throat.

He felt his body shudder as the woman placed a hand on his chest, he almost felt like a mouse beneath the claws of a cat. But the news that his idea wouldn't be obtainable in his lifetime, made him falter. He rubbed the back of his head again, not sure what to think. Maybe he was just dumb.

He had felt something though. But maybe it had just been a farce. There was tension in his face as he obviously struggled to figure something out. "Well I mean... I'll take all the training I can get. I've been training with Elrithos, maybe I should just ask him first. Sorry about the dumb idea."

The teenager filled with embarrassment, rubbing his mouth with the back of his hand.

~~~"Do not take my words as a negative connotation. Magic, and those who possess it are very complex. To better understand magic you must combat one who has it. Who better than myself? I can show you a whole new world of combat you did not know existed."

Tirian watched as his sister began to take a certain interest in the Syndarean, a very rare occurrence, possibly the first in many years. The warrior recounted his time training with Auriel, a shiver coming to his spine at the level of difficulty her 'procedures' and just how tiring they were. Tirian stepped forward and took a position next to Setna.

"If you can last five minutes with her, I'll teach you everything I know about magic. Deal?" ~~~

Setna's dark eyed gaze focused on Auriel, surprised that she wasn't necessarily shooting him down. Instead she offered, combat? Tirian suddenly came to his side, and insisted if he could last 5 minutes, he would teach him everything he knew about magic.

The boy seemed to straighten up with surprise. His gaze shifting from Aurial to Tirian. "Uh... alright. Nothing wrong with trying, right?" Setna grinned a bit, not realizing who exactly he would be going up against.

~~~Auriel smiled, within an instant drawing her blade and extending it with blinding speed to the boy's throat. She stopped short of the flesh around Setna's neck. Her stance changed however and she shifted her gaze towards Tirian with an icy stare. It was as if time had stopped and the two siblings shared some sort of conversation. An exchange of looks and nonverbal signing. The elven queen sheathed her blade and instead took the boy's hand in her own.

"Sound, young Syndarean is the key to all life. Every 'thing' has a sound to it. To understand magic is to explain a color to the blind. Explaining sound to the deaf. A body without magical essence is essentially deaf. You can understand the difficulty in that. Close your eyes and drown out the noise. In the very faint distance, far beyond your reach is an island. So far that it appears as a black dot. Without what is required you can never make it to this island. Drown out everything that and search for something that is not constant nor consistent."

Both hands now hold the boy's own, and icy feeling radiating from within Auriel's. A chilling presence seemed to engulf Setna's surroundings.

"What is there that was not before. Search for a pathway to that island, Only then can you begin to understand magic."
~~~

Right... five minutes? More like barely a second.

Setna hadn't even seen the blade get pulled until it was at his neck and he felt close to wetting himself in surprise. Nevermind actually pulling his sword out in time.

But then the blade was pulled away and suddenly the elf grasped his hands and spoke absolute nonsense. He had no idea what she was talking about. Of course he could grasp that to a person like him with no magic, it was like he was missing a sense. Trying to become more aware of something he didn't have was near impossible.

Auriel asked him to close his eyes and he did so. Trying to drown out the 'noise'. But the idea of some sort of island was lost on him and his dark brows furrowed. He could feel it grow colder though, enough that his breath became vapor and his skin shuddered. Find his way to the island? What the hell did that even mean?

~~~The air seemed to warm up as Auriel straightened her frame, looking to Tirian for some sort of help in the current situation. Tirian placed his left hand upon Setna's corresponding shoulder with some words of wisdom.

"You're one half of a set of two. I've seen it, your sense of Serna even though you can not see her. Think of what you feel when you're feeling Serna. Magic is like a sound too low to hear, but just loud enough to know it's there. What Auriel is doing is inserting a magical flow inside of you. It's... like a vibration. Try again."

Auriel shrunk again to Setna's side and the frigid feeling of freezing air covered Setna and herself once more. Setna would hear a voice inside his own mind, a voice of an elven queen so distant it seemed to ripple between realities entirely. A piece of Auriel began to lace itself into Setna's own life force, the flow of icy magic slowly covering his veins.~~~

A vibration? All Setna could feel was a sudden sensation of freezing cold. It felt like his veins were slowly freezing, his blood slowing, and his limbs turning numb. It hurt. The Syndarean grimaced as he tried to hold on, tried to find some semblance as to what he had felt the night before. But all he could do was focus on the overbearing cold. As numbness gave way until it felt like his limbs were burning, trying to heat himself up again. His breath could be seen now, a puff of white air leaving his lips as something suddenly echoed inside of him.

Eventually he couldn't hold on any longer.

Setna sharply tugged away from the elf's grip. His knees buckled, forcing him to the ground in order to recuperate from whatever the hell that was. His nose ran and the skin of his lips broke and chapped. His teeth grew painful by the sensation of cold ice coming from inside of him, his body forced to shudder and shiver in order to recover. It was nothing like he had sensed. Nothing like his bond to his sister. It felt more as if he would have died if he held on any longer. Fuck. Shaking hands absentmindedly rubbed his nose as he shivered.

~~~Auriel watched as Setna pulled himself away from the overbearance of magic. A thin frown crossed her petite lips before she turned to her brother and muttered something in their native tongue.

"Keep trying him. He'll learn."

She then turned to the Syndarean with a subtle nod and then turned on her heels with a swift pace and walked away from the group. Tirian turned to Setna and patted his back twice.

"Not bad for your first time."

N-Not bad? For a first time!? Gods he felt like he was dying! Setna coughed painfully and soon he found a fur cloak being placed over his shoulders. Dark eyes glanced up to meet the matching pair of his sister's who smiled with a bit of concern. Setna returned it and held her hand a moment, a sign that he was fine. It took him a moment to get his bearings back, shifting a bit until he could stand up again, holding the fur cloak closed. Gods, that sucked.

It was then that there was a loud throat clearing, and everyone's attention was taken by a familiar dwarf. "Good, good! Glad to see everyone well rested and eager to return to the road! Now I have a wee bit of an announcement!"

It was then that a young boy was pushed forward, who could only be 11 or 12. Setna rose a brow and glanced to his sister as Rudolf's loud voice filled the silence. "This here is Arther Snow, and the lad will be joinin' us here on our little journey to Thialea. He's promised to keep out of everyone's way."

The boy looked nervous, his hands shaking as they held to the strap of his bag, while he gazed upon all the people staring at him. "I-I'm sorry! My name's Arther! I um, I just want to return home! I was sent here to live with family for a bit but…but my parents are in Thialea and uh…uh… I won't get in anyone's way!"

The dark haired boy suddenly bowed which only opened his bag and sent papers flying out of it. Arther made a squeak of horror as he scrambled to repack them. It was Serna who quickly approached, helping to pick up the papers the boy had lost, tapping them into an organized pile and handing them back with a smile.

Rudolf simply cleared his throat as he looked to the rest. "Well then, I've told him yer names, and it'll be up to ya to give proper introductions but for now, let's head out shall we!?"

His voice was a boom that seemed to set everyone into motion.

--------------------​

Aaerynn had set up her own little corner in one of the carts, as the caravan began to push forward. She was surrounded by papers. Her dagger was placed in front of her, as well as a few test tubes filled with the twins' blood she had sampled the day prior. From her pack she also retrieved leaflets filled with the notes she had taken in Farin's library. Pale blue eyes were fixated on it before she picked up a writing utensil similar to the one she had given Vordan, and filled it with ink before beginning to write in swirling perfect elvish.

The sudden parting of the cart's canvas wasn't even enough to garner her attention.

"Do you mind if I sit in here?"

That did.

Aaerynn's eyes lifted to take in the boy, and a frown of annoyance filled her face. Great. First it had been the half elf child and her guardian and now there was a sole child with the rest of them having to act like baby sitters. What in the Gods names was Rudolf thinking? Agreeing to this? The wood elf gave a huff before waving her hand to the other side of the cart in what seemed to be an allowance for him to sit, as long as he stayed the hell away from her and her things. Aaerynn did not have the patience for it.

The boy did as silently instructed, curling up into a ball and thankfully remaining silent.

It wasn't until Aaerynn lifted her dagger and began to dig it into the crook of where her forearm and upper arm met that his eyes widened. "W-What are you doing!?"

The wood elf didn't look up as black and partly coagulated blood pooled its way into an awaiting glass vial. "Medicine." The lie was as smooth as a polished stone as she didn't look up until the vial was filled to her satisfaction. Then she moved a free hand to a small jar, dabbing a finger in and retrieving a clay like substance that she then smoothed over the small nick.

"That's rot isn't it…?" Arther's voice grew soft as he hugged his bag to his chest and looked to the rather intimidating wood elf. "You're dying."

There it was again. Aaerynn didn't lift her head as she tapped a cork in the vial of her own blood. "It would appear so." Her voice was soft as she placed the vial besides the two with the twins' samples. She picked up her pen and began writing. She didn't notice that the boy snuck closer to her until he was peeking over her shoulder, to look at the elvish writing.

"Can I help?" He finally asked, and it surprised Aaerynn enough that she turned red, spinning to look at him.

"You can help by sitting, away from me. Please."

Gods help her. Aaerynn watched as the boy scooted away and the wood elf felt an odd ache in her arm. Enough that she had to rub it with a free hand. Kai even lifted his head, taking in the child before lowering again. The wood elf moved her hand over and scratched the ears of the wolf, before finally getting back to what she was doing. Gods help her indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.