INTEREST CHECK The Hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah I'd rather wait to see if there's more people interested.

Also, can I repost my character? I've got a few things I'm a little uneasy with (like the weapon of choice. What Celtic goddess would use as katana?), and my OCD is kicking in that there's this little file link in it that's otherwise useless.

Whew, good thing this ship didn't take off without me.

Name: Freed West
God & Powers
:Fortuna, the Greek Goddess of Luck: Defensive / Passive / Support

Freed can actively tweak chance in his favor. This makes him good at dodging, escaping, and surviving in general. With practice and experience, he is also able to predict possible outcomes and assign probabilities to them, making him an excellent strategist. His final ability is a form of roulette that allows him to drastically change the scales of luck for an instant as far as conventional logic and physics allows, however there is always the chance that it will be turned against him instead. Ex: He is cornered by a demonspawn. He can either toss a grenade that will take it out in one shot and stay safely out of blast radius, or it may rebound to explode in his face. The weight of danger posed is equal to the potential benefit gained.

Overall, he prefers to be a non-combatant, supporting more from the sidelines safely out of direct contact with the enemy. Of course, this isn't really going to be possible on the front lines, but he doesn't get a choice now, does he?

Personality:Laid back and carefree, Freed has a casual outlook on life. He leads an epicurean lifestyle and takes what he can get before the world inevitably ends (which is going to happen soon as far as he is concerned). While he holds strong opinions about most subjects, he usually keeps his thoughts to himself since he can't be bothered to start an argument, and is a "couch activist" – it's simply too much effort to go out and make a difference. He will often sit around with co-workers, complaining about the world in general while really, they are just thankful to still be alive and safe while so many others aren't. Since he has no real experience with dangerous situations, he is an idealist who doesn't know how to make tough pragmatic decisions. Ironically, he is firmly set as an atheist, and even his later "enlightenment" doesn't change this belief. His favorite social past time is gambling, but he can usually found in a garage fixing something, blasting outdated music from an antique boombox.

Somewhat of an eccentric, Freed collects "junk" from the early 21st century – CDs of hip hop artists or alternative rock bands salvaged from who knows where, an electric guitar he calls his "baby" and spends more time tuning than actually playing, and garbage heaps he calls "contemporary art". His personal quarters look like a dump, but he actually spends a lot of time organizing and designing the space. He has terrible personal hygiene and calls sweat and grease his "cologne". With a pretty short attention span, he is quick to drop a project if something more interesting comes up – this happens to extend to his relationships with people as well.

Biography:Born in England. One of the last havens for humanity free of demonspawn. Freed was ten at the time of the Hatching and didn't think much of the end of the world. Since the British Isles had been largely unaffected, many were in denial of the entire situation, and he had a fairly mundane childhood occasionally punctuated by news reports of the latest cities to fall victim and Apocalyptic fanatics who ran around preaching salvation to the ignorant. England was still intact, and just because the world was ending didn't mean farmers could stop feeding the survivors and police could stop keeping the populace in check in the time of crisis. So courtesy of the human power of adaptation (no really, one can get used to the possibility of imminent doom), Freed received a proper education. Since he was neither virtuous nor suicidal enough to join the military, he received an apprenticeship and became a mechanic. A guy had to find a means of putting food on the table and the military needed their tanks repaired. Deal. He lived in quarters for other military service workers (janitors, cooks, etc) and did his job for food and board, which was more than what most had access to. He was drinking buds and bunk mates with a computer techie who put up with his shit, and was fairly satisfied with his life overall. So when the call came, he thought he wasn't cut out for this, and wondered what kind of joke the gods were playing when they made him champion instead of his saint of a little brother.

Freed was raised in a middle class household by your average parents with your average "first world problems". He has a younger brother who thought he was morally righteous and joined the military with hopes of saving the world. Freed lost contact with his parents, with whom he had often been at odds with during his teenage years and never really made peace with, but receives letters regularly from his brother. Not that he takes the time to reply to them. Honestly, this is because Freed doesn't have the guts to tell him that he doesn't know what happened to his parents, who his brother believes he is still looking out for.

As for his powers, Freed had always thought of himself as lucky from a young age, but never thought much of it. Most of his academic success was attributed to "educated guesses", he had a talent at not getting caught, and was renowned as quite the poker player among his acquaintances in the military. He also found that he was able to wish misfortune on others – weirder, but still coincidence, wasn't it?

Appearance: Freed has naturally brown hair that he dyes regularly (it is currently a bluish green). He has hazel eyes, a five o'clock shadow, and two piercings, one in his right ear and another in his tongue (both done himself). His skin is tanned from working outdoors, and his build is suitable to his job as a mechanic. Much to his annoyance, he is slightly shorter than average.

When it comes to dress, he's not much for practicality and will wear whatever the hell he wants to, despite it interfering with his tasks (which he gets endless crap for, 'and for the last time could you stop questioning my metrosexuality'). He is most often seen wearing a jumpsuit, top half off and left hanging at the waist, a sleeveless top, work gloves and heavy boots. For civvies, he likes belts and leather – classic rock star dress.

Freed_zps5143ef2e.jpg

This will get colored... eventually

I kinda took liberties with the setting and his powers - it's your world not mine, but it's how I pretty much guessed a post-apocalyptic scenario like this would go down. I'm also not quite sure how his god / powers would play out, but I wanted to try something less conventional and more support oriented.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Repost, as I felt I could have made it cleaner, better, and more realistic. Which means clear up any useless files, make the images a tad smaller, and replace the katana with a claymore, which would make more sense for a European goddess, who would never have seen a katana before in her eternity, to give to her Champion)

Name: Alain O'Brien

God and Powers: Chosen by the Celtic deity The Morrigan (Goddess of Death, Strife, and War), Alain's first power was flight, granted by his black wings and newer physique which included lighter, hollow bones, and larger lungs. However, he is no pushover when it comes to fighting, glass bones or not. With any weapon (though he prefers his personal claymore, an as of yet unbreakable gift from The Morrigan, he is partial to shotguns, spears, and hand-to-hand combat. Other weapons are used by Alain, but his preferences show greater success), or none at all, he is unmatched on the battlefield, hacking through demonspawn like a hot knife through butter. While this can be attributed to his increasing skill with a blade, it is also due to his affiliation with the Goddess of Battle, who has blessed him to be the greatest warrior in history. Following the other attributes of his god, Alain can cause chaos in the minds of enemies, turning them on each other. And finally, his least developed power, the ability to kill instantaneously, which began to manifest later in his training through touch, though later evolved into an aura of death around him. Only the strongest demonspawn and Champions have dared brave it, and even fewer survive.

Personality: Alain was never much of a social person, as he was always afraid of screwing up in a friendly or intimate relationship, despite his attractive appearance. However, he was often subject to tragedy: His girlfriends always left him for another guy, his friends left him for being so dark and sarcastic, and even his parents began to distance himself from him, leading to him becoming completely antisocial, cynical, and sociopathic. Even after becoming Champion, his appearance frightened away most others, and he has not changed much since than.

Biography:
Born in the capital of the Republic of Ireland (Dublin), Alain O'Brien was bored when he came out. As he grew, he remain distant and awkward around those outside of his ever-shrinking circle of friends. His father died when he was 16 trying to reclaim an infested city. After his last girlfriend left him, Alain was so fed up with life and the world, he took a straight-razor to his wrists, and bled out on the floor. But the malice resonating from him managed to manifest The Morrigan, who healed him, and chose him for a new purpose: To represent her in battle against the demonspawn. As a token of her appreciation, she gifted him with black wings, so he may strike from the skies. Without a home, without friends, he decided on a new suicide: He would take her orders to the grave. He would fight the demonspawn to the death, and almost flew alone into Belfast (administrative capital of Northern Ireland), until the Vigilantes halted his approach, and brought him to London. To his new home.

Appearance: Alain is rather handsome, with mid-length black hair, pale skin, and neon green eyes. The only thing he regards as a "blemish", are his glorious black wings, which offer him flight, and defense against human hands.

these_dark_wings_by_demon_wolfie-d381r32.jpg 3d_Claymore_Sword_by_Walter_NEST.jpg

Edited my CS hope thats okay, wanted to add a few things I thought of sense I posted it

Name: Kylar Hawthorne

God & Powers: Kylar is the champion of Epheria: Lady of light, Mother of Art and Colour, The First Painter. Being her champion, Kylar has been given the ability to draft materials from the different waves of light. Each wave has its own unique properties and may be used in a variety of situations. However, Kylar is currently only able to draft Green and Super-Violet light.

Green light creates a soft, springy substance, able to stretch and reform many times. It's great for taking blunt force, acting as a shock absorber. It's also quite comfortable to sleep on. However, it can be cut easily.

Super-Violet light is invisible to the naked eye, but if Kylar concentrates, he is able to see it. While not particularly strong, it can be used to create invisible walls and structures.

Physical Appearance: Small in stature, Kylar barely makes it over five feet in height. His skin is fair and light, dotted with a spattering of freckles. His face is angular, built with high cheeks and a sharp jawline, offset by jade green eyes. His face is framed by red locks of hair, cut in uneven lengths. It may have been styled at one point, but now simply looks messy. He wears a black long sleeved t-shirt and fitted blue jeans. A long white coat is tied around his waist, only worn when the weather gets chilly.

Personality: Kylar is more sensitive than he'd like to admit, hit hard and influenced by the emotions of those around him. He tries hard to keep his emotions under control, but he can't refuse anyone in distress. Or cute animals. Despite the strength of his emotions, Kylar is quite meek in the face of aversion, quietly letting others take the leading role. He doesn't clash with others, as he's afraid that the conflict would drive them away, and he can't be alone. While Kylar may show a brave front against the horrors that plague the world, truthfully he is terrified.

Biography: Kylar was originally from Canada and grew up on the windy plains. He was very young when the first Hatchings happened. Too young to understand what was going on, why his parents forced him to move away to the other side of the country. However, the Hatchings continued, popping up everywhere, without bias. People grew paranoid, his parents included. As tensions grew, the people began to turn on each other. In an attempt to protect him, Kylar's parents barred the doors against the outside world, sealing themselves inside. This didn't eliminate them from being targeted, however. A group of very desperate, very scared people broke into their home, and a moment of panic ended the life of his parents. Driven by their guilt, the thieves took Kylar with them as they sacked house after house, keeping him as safe as they could. He grew up a scavenger. While society crumbled and people were pushed to the brink, Kylar learned to survive in whatever ways possible. Pillage what you could, avoid any threats, get good at hiding. Through all the hardships life threw at him, Kylar never forgot the days of his childhood, when he could spend days in the sun without fear of the world. It was these memories that drew Epheria to him, granting gifts of power to provide safety in the light. He found his eyes seeing with more clarity, catching the colours of light in more vivid detail, glimpsing past human colour vision to see into the Super violets. Pulling at those colours provided him with a weapon, uniquely his own. With the light now on his side, he walked underneath the sun, continuing the life he had known, until his actions caught the attention of the Vigilantes, being brought to London (mostly with consent).

I'm afraid I'll have to drop this RP from my rooster due to an overload of rp's I'm currently involved with, sorry folks

Wha....? Will it ever begin at another period of time? We just got more people.....

That sucks....

I know! I mean, I'm involved in several other things, with my own RPs out there as it is, and I'm managing just fine. Seriously. The people I work with post, like, the first Saturday of every year. They take forever. I get that people have lives outside of this, which is great. While role-play is incredibly fun, it shouldn't deprive you of a social life. But keep a list of the stuff you're on, check it every other day, and update where necessary. It takes about an hour out of your day, unless you're really thinking hard on what to post.

Dx I was liking this idea of a roleplay

reusable-protest-sign.jpg

But in all seriousness, I get the man needs a break but it'd have been nice to have a bit of a warning before bomb dropping the OUT OF SERVICE notice

Well, (I hope she doesn't mind me saying) Obsidian sent me a PM, which resulted in me suggesting this: Enigma, why don't you let me, or Obsidian, or anyone else you trust who was in on this to take control of the RP, give him/her the specs for demonspawn and infested cities, the layout of the Vigilantes, etc. You could rejoin and retake control at any point you chose, and we wouldn't have messed with your character.

I'm wondering if Enigma is even on this. Anyone want to just remake the RP somewhere else and get it started?

Status
Not open for further replies.