The Friendly Rivalry

Esther just smiled at Jonathan a little more and Elizabeth giggled and gave the baby to her husband to hold. She quickly trotted over to Esther then and proceeded kneel down and hug her little sun, placing a kiss on the giggling child's cheek. Before she could do anything, Esther was then grabbed by the hand and lead into the maid all, some servants comming out with ther parosals and sun hats. It was much nicer today, the sky bright and blue.

"Alright, we shall be off then. The driver must be wondering what is keeping us anyway, I called for him nearly ten minites ago and we still are barely ready. Come, let's hurry Esther, before the tea shops get flooded with the old women and young gigglers being dragged along by their mother's. Goodbye Darling~ and goodbye Jonathan." Elizabeth said politely as she walked out the door.

"Goodbye gentlemen...and good luck Brandon, I know you hands will be full with those two." She said politely turning toward the door as her sister yelled from the carriage.

"Esther! Come along! We have shop to visit and gossip to make!"

With the small rolling of her eyes and the grin on her face, Esther curtied to the men once more before slipping out the door and joining her sister in the carriage.

And just like that, the two ladies had gone for the day. Jonathan turned to Brandon, "What a remarkable lady. I was hoping you could tell me more about her today!" Brandon could only laugh, amused at how smitten Jonathan already seemed to be - he had barely just met the lady!

"I overheard you telling Esther that you were going to offer to help with the children?"

"Yes, of course."

"Well, I intend for you to earn the information," Brandon laughed, holding his daughter in one arm and hugging his son with the other. "And you can ask me any question that comes to mind later."

"You're enjoying this far too much Brandon, but, if you insist," Jonathan said, reluctantly joining his friend. He hoped that the information would be worth it. At least he was going to get another quality day in with a good friend of his.

The day passed happily for the girls, the sisters eagerly catching up on home and what had been happening with each of them. They then stopped for tea at a lovely little shop, giggling and laughing with each other about silly little stories from when they were younger and free. Esther was smiling much more than she had been around Jonathan, finding it wasier to open up without him around. She didn't hold anything against the man but she had never been able to talk well with strangers, especially when they were men. He seemed like a nice fellow though so she would certainly treat him kindly when ever she was in her company.

After tea the shopping began, something that Esther personally dreaded but she knew was needed greatly. If she was to attend the ball she would need proper dress, something she didn't bring since she assumed that she would spend most of her day at the home. She had brought nice dresses though for simple dinner parties but nothing of good enough quality to wear to a ball. She was pulled away to a seamstresses shop, the window filled with already made dresses and such. The whole time she was there in the shop she was looking at already made dresses, trying them on and being judged by her sister. After ten dresses they found one that Elizabeth approved off and one that Esther would be comfortable in and had some work done on it as they went around to other shops. By the end of their little trip Elizabeth had gotten Esther to buy new lace golves, a parasol , a bonnet and shoes to go with her dress.

They headed home with the packages at hand, arriving later that afternoon before dinner.

"Brandon, We're home~" Elizabeth called in as Esther carried in her small packages, a servant behind her carrying her boxed up dress.

"Hello again." Esther called after behind Elizabeth, walking after her sister to help seek out her husband.

After the women left, Brandon and Jonathan decided to eat with the kids. It had been a delicious breakfast, and once they were finished, Jonathan tried asking Brandon for more information about Esther, but Brandon didn't answer, merely smiling and telling Jonathan that he was just trying to get out of helping look after the kids. It was a gorgeous day outside, and rather than spend their time inside, they decided to take the kids out. Once outside, Benjamin started running around, changing direction every time he saw something that got his attention. Jonathan ended up chasing him around, playing hide and seek with him, and just generally having a good time, while Brandon spent his time entertaining his daughter.

As the day drew on, Jonathan had been thinking about asking Brandon for more information, but never quite got around to it. He eventually decided that he should learn more about her from speaking with her, rather than using his friend for information. When the kids grew tired, the four of them retreated to the mansion. While they were gone, a couple of the stable hands had seen to retrieving their horses from the gentleman's dinner club. Before they had entered the mansion, Jonathan bade farewell to Brandon, asking him to inform Esther that he would be picking her up before the ball. And after a friendly hug, he hopped on his horse and rode home.

A short while later the women returned, in perfect time for dinner. Brandon hurried out to greet his wife and sister-in-law, hugging both of them. "Esther, Jonathan had some business to take care of and thus had to return to his home, but he wanted you to know that he would be arriving before the ball tomorrow to pick you up."

Elizabeth hugged her husband happily as Esther passed her packages on to some servants to take up to her room for her. She then hugged her brother-in-law and smiled a bit as he told her when Jonathan would come pick her up for the ball. She would have to be ready by then. The rest of the evening went by quickly, dinner was eaten and enjoyed and more catching up was done, Brandon apart of it this time. Esther eventually went to bed, setting out her clothing for the next day so that she would be prepared.

The next morning was busy busy busy, breakfast was eaten in peace but slightly rushed by Elizabeth who planned on dressing Esther and getting her ready for the rest of the day. A bath was run for Esther as the maids collected make-up and hair pieces, Elizabeth quickly taking over her sister's dressing plans. The day passed with Esther being tugged and pulled upon by her sister, her corset tied and her jewelry cleaned. As evening settled Esther was dressed and waiting quietly as Elizabeth worked upon her hair.

Her dress was a large ballgown, it's color a creamy white. It was decorated with yellow flowers and ribbon and exposed her shoulders. She wore elbow lenght gloves and simple bracelets as her sister finished putting her hair into a mass of curls upon her head. She finished by placing a diamond collar around Esther's neck, smiling a bit at her work as Esther rolled her eyes at bit at her sister.

"You look wonderful, Esther." Elizabeth said as she passed her sister her shall and purse.

"I owe it to you." Esther said as they both headed downstairs to wait for Jonathan to arrive.

Jonathan had been distracted all night, thinking about Esther. His sleep had been restless, the nerves slowly getting to him, constantly making him wake up during the night. But when the time came to get ready for the ball, his nerves were gone and his body was full of a tense excitement. He got dressed, wearing a pair of black trousers, a white shirt covered by an emerald covered vest, a fancy black and green ascot around his neck, and a black davenport coat over top. This was his sharpest attire and he hoped that Esther would like it.

He had hired a carriage to take them to the ball, and he was in that carriage when he realized he had forgotten the flowers he had bought for Esther. In a panic, he tried to get the driver to stop, but the driver just smiled at him, and handed him the flowers. "Your servants ran out and gave that to me." Jonathan smiled at him, glad that he wasn't going to be late because he had to turn around and get the flowers. Before long, the carriage had pulled up to Brandon's mansion. Jonathan looked at his pocket watch, noting that he was several minutes early, wondering if Esther was ready yet.

Taking a deep breath, Jonathan stepped out of the carriage, took the flowers with him, and went in to the mansion.

Esther and Elizabeth had been sitting in the drawing room with Brandon, waiting for Jonathan to arrive. As they waited Elizabeth was reminding her sister on how to act and what the ball would be like, after all this was the country and ball out here were very different compared to the ones in London.

"Remember to hold you tongue, Esther. Jonathan is a dear friend and I don't want you to hurt his feelings after he took the time to invite you to this ball. Also, it will more than likely be a very big party so be prepared to find a crowded dance floor once you get there, not that you'll be upset by that." She said with a small laugh as she giggled to her sister, adjusting Esther's hair slightly to try and make it perfect.

"Yes, yes I'll behave. Just as long as he does as well. I'm not going to let some man grope me and get away with it." She said plainly as the sound of the door bell ringing filled the room.

Elizabeth was the first to jump up and run to the door, Esther rolling her eyes a bit as she slowly followed after her. She could hear her sister welcoming Jonathan excitedly and knew that she was probably more happy about this than she was.

"Hello Jonathan! How was your trip here?" Elizabeth said sweetly as Esther entered the main hall.

"Quite wonderful, Elizabeth. I trust you've been well?" Jonathan asked, giving her a quick hug, his eyes darting around, looking for Esther. When he finally saw her, he lost his breath. She looked absolutely stunning. He approached her, handing her the bouquet of roses, grasping her hand in his and giving it a gentle kiss.

"Esther, you look beautiful tonight," Jonathan said, bowing before her.

"Oh I am well. You go say hello to Esther, I'll go get her things." She said as she hurried off to gather Esther's cloak and other items.

Esther smiled politely as he handed her the roses and took her hand and kissed it gentlmanly. She smelled the roses quietly for a momsnt as he complimented her looks, her smile a little more genuine that it had been the first time they had met. Elizabeth came over with her cloak and shall and Esther gently handed the flowers to her to take care of.

"Thank you Jonathan, the flowers are lovely." She said to him kindly as she slipped on her cloak and held onto her shall in her hands. "Shall we be going then?" She asked as she looked up at him.

"Yes, of course," he said, motioning her towards the carriage. He waved goodbye to Elizabeth before he turned and opened the carriage door for Esther, helping her to enter the carriage. Then he got in beside her, careful not to get too close to her, lest it make her uncomfortable. "The journey to the ball won't be very long," he said, trying to make small talk. He had never been that good at talking to women when he was alone with them, and even though it was going to be a short journey to the ball, he still felt the need to talk so that they didn't pass the time in an awkward silence.

With a small wave to her sister and her husband, Esther slipped into the carriage with the help of Jonathan and took a seat. She had to admit that it was nice to finally be getting out and just enjoying her evening, no need to worry about who her mother would throw her at or the feel of her mother's gaze digging into her back. Jonathan also seemed to be turning into more of a gentleman than she had expected. When he mentioned that the journey would be short she smiled and nodded her head a bit.

"That is nice, I cannot wait to finally be able to enjoy a party for once." She said politely, being completely honest with him.

He smiled at her. "You don't usually enjoy parties?"

The carriage made it's way closer and closer to the ball, occasionally jolting every time it hit a bump. And before long, they had arrived, it really hadn't been a very long journey at all. Jonathan got out, and held out his hand, offering Esther his assistance. Other carriages pulled up behind theirs, many guests arriving at the same time as them. Sounds of merriment could be heard coming from the ball, it seemed as though a number of people had already arrived.

"Well, we're here. I promise I won't have too much to drink tonight," Jonathan joked, poking fun at how embarrassingly drunk he had been when he had first met Esther. He normally only had a single glass of wine with dinner, and would only have a glass of wine tonight if Esther also decided to drink. He didn't want to seem like an alcoholic.

"Not usually, my mother has a habit of controling everything I do at a party so it will be nice to finally relax." She softly as she watch ed ball come into view.

Esther got out of the carriage with the help of Jonathan, looking over the other guests as she did. If her mother had been there she would be getting a lecture on how to behave at this point. She laughed slightly at his joke and smiled a bit more as she turned to look at him.

"I would hope not, you won't be much of a dancer if you did that." She said a bit teasingly before walking into the ball slowly so the people behind them could get out. She was rather excited to join the ball now and hoped this evening would be as fun as her sister had told her it would be.

He held out his arm for her, and then led the way in to the ball. It was starting to fill up with people, most already engaged in conversation. Jonathan often did not attend balls, some times because he disliked the host, but it was frequently because he could not find someone suitable to go with. He hoped that Esther would be the exception.

"Jonathan! So good to see you here tonight. I didn't think you would be attending," a voice greeted them. It belonged to Richard, one of Jonathan's friends. "And who is the lovely lass with you?"

"Richard, this is Esther. Esther, this is my friend Richard," he introduced them.

After looping arms with Jonathan, Esther walked in step with him inot the ball, looking around curiously at the other groups and couples. She did not know anyone at this ball and part of her was rather glad for that, it would be hard to explain why she was currently being lead around by a man when back home she wouldn't even dare to go near them usually.

When she heard someone calling Jonathan she looked toward him before looking over Richard with a polite smile, he seemed to be a kind man as well. After she was introduced she gave a small curtsy and smiled a little more as she continued to hold onto Jonathan's arm lightly.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Richard." She said softly as she looked up at the man kindly.

"The pleasure is all mine Esther," Richard responded. "You must be quite a lady if you managed to get Jonathan to attend tonight. He doesn't often accept these invitations. What's your secret?"

Jonathan laughed at the joke. It was true, he didn't come to balls that often, often because the girl he was trying to woo didn't want to go, or because he didn't want to go with the girl due to her personality. His stomach started to growl at him; he hadn't eaten in several hours. His eyes swept over the room, trying to find something to fill his stomach with. "Richard, do you know when dinner is going to be served?"

"It shouldn't be too long. Come, sit with us, there are several empty seats left at our table," Richard motioned for them to follow.

Esther laughed a bit with Richard and just waved him off a bit.

"If I told you it wouldn't be much of a secert now would it?" She said teasingly as Jonathan and her walked toward the table with Richard.

She was hungry just like Jonathan and was rather glad to hear that dinner would be served shortly. As the table got closer she looked over the other's, curious as to who they might be. She did not know anyone at all and that made her a little nervous in truth. It meant that this would be her only chance to make a good impression on them.

They made their way over to the table, Jonathan pulling out a chair for Esther to sit on, before sitting down himself. "Richard and I work together," Jonathan explained. "We are both doctors." Jonathan didn't want to tell her that he was a doctor, lest it make her want him only for his money. That had happened several times before, so he was always a bit cautious around women that he didn't get to know first.

"So Esther, tell us a little about yourself," Richard said.

Esther smiled as he pulled out a chair for her and took a seat quietly. She looked at Jonathan a little surprised, she had not expected him to be a doctor, maybe a business man but not a doctor. When Richard addressed her she turned to him a bit and smile, adjusting her shall upon her shoulders.

"I'm afriad there isn't much to me. I live in London with my parents, at the moment I am visiting my sister and her husband for while. Other than that, I don't have much to speak about. I do apologize, It has just been so long since I have last been to a ball and I just can't think of anything to say." She said as she looked between the two men.

Jonathan listened intently as Esther talked a bit about herself. She hadn't said much, which was a bit disappointing, but Jonathan vowed to himself that he would get her speaking a bit more freely by the end of the night. The scent of food started to grow stronger as Esther was answering Richard's query; dinner was starting to be served. Servants were passing out small bowls of soup to everyone, as well as leaving menus on the tables that were written in French. Jonathan started eating the soup, not paying too much attention to the menu, waiting to get at least some food in his stomach, not wanting to order everything on the menu while being blinded by hunger.

"What sort of hobbies do you participate in? Surely you don't sit around all day sipping tea?" Richard asked. "As for Jonathan and I, we like to play tennis at least once a week."