The Elder Scrolls: A Brotherhood Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
"There's the fuzzball!" He decried. The target always in the last place he'd look.

A quick wisp of a breath left the dunmer's mouth and he smoothed his hair back, blinking those firey red eyes for a moment. "Let my temper get the better of me. That can happen when members are too careless!" Back to the yelling.

"Care to explain to me, Xeras--" A casual leaning against a supporting stone column as he spoke, calm and collected once more. "Why there's a dead giant and two dead mammoths out on the plains with a set of large wolf tracks bee-lining STRAIGHT FOR WHITERUN." A raised voice, but not much yelling again. "Last time I checked, the only other lycanthropes in this city didn't leave obvious tracks back to their home. Mhmm? See where I'm going with this, Xeras?"

He tilted his head still trying his innocent face on him but after realizing it wouldn't work you could hear a soft whine come from him just like a dog who's master was mad at him. "I was bored and hungry..." well that was the truth. He then spoke again before the other could respond "I know, I know "It's no excuse" "I should know better" whatever you want to do say it" He was kind of used to being in trouble, he was just like that. And he didn't really care when he got punished for it. He and the speaker were a lot like quarreling brothers. Him being the younger stubborn one and him being the older one who disapproved of his actions but still in the end they got along even if they had their moments of butting heads.

Brothers didn't seem to be quite the idea Divayth had in mind regarding the altmer. More likening it to leader and idiotic apprentice, that seemed fitting. Perhaps a short story was in order once this was finished up.

"You were bored?" He had to ask, incredulous of the golden skinned elf to use such a vapid and childish excuse, it was insulting in itself. "If you are bored, I am more than willing to put you to work around the sanctuary! By all means, everyone!" Now shouting loud enough for most in the Sanctuary to hear.

"If you're bored or in need of something to do.. Grab a broom!" No one had the tact to use the horse hair rugs by the entrances, dirt collected and cobwebs might begin to show.

(lol, I expected worse)

Xeras chuckled after he said that, he just found it funny in these situations, didn't really know why. He just did, he grabbed the broom thinking that was pretty easy considering he had the guards on edge now. Ah the things he did for entertainment around here, no wonder none of his teachers ever liked him. His exploits were difficult to handle sometimes, he got to work actually having some fun with it. He crushed some spiders while he did so, he watched as they one by one got squashed. One of them he took and pulled of it's legs one by one enjoying watching the creatures attempts at running away and biting him even though it was of no use sense he had a high tolerance to poisions and this particular species had pretty weak venom. He then kept cleaning until his job was done and tried to think of something else to do that wouldn't upset anyone, hmm... He decided to go stare out the window and ponder life as he often did seeming as if he was just daydreaming or something. He had lot's of time to think at night when others were asleep.

Ven continued to wander around the quarters where everyone took rest, making a note of the one the dark elf had mentioned, lined with runes in the ground. She had to admit, they looked very well done, and very powerful. Not like those she saw pathetically attempted at the college that had a short enough range and low sensitivity, you could simply step over it unharmed.

Just as she had finally came across a room that appeared unoccupied, there was an irritated complaint, something about books, shouted at the Speaker from down the hall, a voice she assumed was emanated from the Breton she had passed just a minute or so before. After that had finally settled down, She took more time to further explore, making sure to become acquainted with her resources.

Much later came another quarrel, though this one much louder than the last, to the point where she couldn't help but to hear it. Her back arose from the bed she rested on, staring up at the ceiling. She hadn't slept, but she felt as though she had just gotten woken up from a pleasant cat nap. So, She decided to get up and head towards the ruckus, which ended shortly before she entered the vicinity. Her face showed an expression for the first time since she arrived, and it was that of annoyance.

As she entered, her annoyance was clear to read on her sharp elven features, a quick glance shooting towards the other Altmer. "Well that explains the smell of canine." She said idly to herself as she continued in irritability. Since when did Speakers become complaint boxes and babysitters? There was another differentiating factor between this sanctuary and her own.

She continued to observe and analyze in her head as she went along, finally coming to a stop in a silent, and for the moment, vacant place in the sanctuary as most slept. A scared cat, a childish dog, a Breton filled to the brim with pointless complaints, what next? This is why we've fallen so far away. We're taking in children. Not to mention the last sanctuary she visited that didn't even follow the Tenets. Didn't even have them displayed. This is the analysis she came up with, quietly conversing with herself as she idly fiddled with a dagger.

"Oh for Azura's sake.." Groaned the Dunmer as he pinched the bridge of his nose, rubbing at tired red eyes, perhaps a bit darker a shade. A sleeping drought was in order sooner rather than later. One mer could only remain awake for so long on Sujamma alone.

At least until he caught the golden gaze of another soon to be familiar Altmer. "Yes, yes. As long as he remains bathed we'll not subjugate him to living in the sewer exit." Another sigh escaped him like a dying man's breath.

"Was there something you needed, Ven, was it?"

The elf turned her head in the Dunmer's direction, allowing her gaze to meet his. By her guess, he was annoyed as well. She bowed her head at him politely as she began to speak, promptly lifting it back up. "Not at all, dear Speaker. I was simply drawn in by all of the... ruckus." She explained "And it caused me to think more about where we stand now." She finished, placing her blade gently on one of her thighs.

Her eyes fell to the blade for a moment, rising back up to those of the Dunmer a moment later. "I apologize if I've disturbed you, I appreciate you asking." Though her face was rid of the annoyed expression, back to its usual blank state along with her tone, the apology appeared to be sincere. She wasn't going to be like the rest of the abandoned toddlers running around here, talking to their Speaker any way they deemed fit. The hire ranks were to be respected, She knew from experience all they had to do from her last home.

At last, a sensible member to be brought into his humble abode! Were it not for their profession and the simple way of life they loved he'd shower the altmer beauty with praise and promotion. Too bad they were the Dark Brotherhood, little of that applied.

"Nonsense! You've disturbed me no less than watching a drunk enough nord kiss a frostbite spider on the spinnerets. And let me tell you, that disturbed me." If the face of mold revulsion was anything to go by.

"You mentioned where we stand. Where do you believe we stand my darling murderer?" He mused in an idle tone.

Xeras overheard the conversation and rolled his eyes, well whatever. Childish? maybe at times but that tended to happen when you spent most your life playing with children, even now he loved children in his mind they were smarter tha adults at times at least they had the sense to know when to give up, something that this elf never had. And they saw things in ways others cant. Where one might see a wild flower they would see much more, the leaves, stem, and petals older folks forget the beauty in detals sadly far too often. He saw this as a compliment, smell of dog eh? stupid girl wasn't his fault... Well soon enough she'd see what this childish wolf was really like, too bad she didn't see the whole picture. The speaker may get irritated with him but soon he'd prove to them he wasn't useless. He didn't like being underestimated and soon they'll see an old dog can indeed learn new tricks.

((She didn't call anyone childish out loud, dear.))

At this point, She sat straight up with her shoulders pressed back, letting a soft sigh between her lips before she spoke. "We all know where we stand. We've lost our renown, not nearly what we once were. Things were going well in my last home, tenets were followed, and it was made sure everyone knew it, not to mention where they were displayed should someone forget, somehow. We had assassins there, never was there a.. ruckus such as the one that brought me to thoughts. Not only did we used to be feared, we feared the higher ranks in a way that brought respect, especially Speaker and Listener. I visited a sanctuary over by Falkreath a ways. They had no tenets whatsoever. A few of the brothers and sisters there hardly remembered what they were, for Sithis' sake!" She huffed, annoyed.

She bowed her head once more at the Speaker, a few golden locks falling gracefully in front of her sharp face. She normally didn't talk this much, but she respectfully answered the Speaker's question, whether or not he was truly interested in her response. She was ashamed, though her expression was still void of any sort of emotion and her tone was about where his was; idle, at how far they had fallen. They all needed something to bring them back. 'Something' more than likely being a lot of hard work. She raised her head once more to look at the Dunmer, hopping down from the pedestal she climbed up onto to think. She then gave him a full bow, rising a moment later. She figured they were done here, at least for the night. "Goodnight, Speaker." She stated as she slowly started on her way, the same sort of walk she had earlier, which she usually sported.

The dunmer ran fingers down his jawline and across his chin as if he were stroking a beard he never bothered to grow. A simple nod to show he was listening if his attentive red eyes weren't enough to prove it. Soon a hand rose to smooth down the wild hair atop his head, a grin beginning to grow on his face.

"You've a good place here in the Sancutary, my dear." He spoke before she began to leave, mulling over the words. Honest words were appreciated, even if they were direct criticism, though he found no malice in her particular choices.

More thinking followed as he returned her departing farewell, returning it as well to avoid looking rude. "Oh, Ven, my dear! Perhaps you could help whip our little whippersnappers into shape then? You seem quite zealous in your belief of how we should act. I'm not so arrogant as to ignore the perhaps wiser words of my lower ranks. There are contracts that need doing as well.. Help turn this Sanctuary into a true abode for Sithis and you'll be my top choice when I pass them out."

Status
Not open for further replies.