The Elder Invasion: EPILOGUE - The Hero and Awakening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Epilogue Journey: The Hero and Awakening

THE HARBINGER, MAIN HOLD

I should not feel this well.

No, seriously, I shouldn't.

Let's have a run-down of the last few days of my life. The train I was on was destroyed, and myself and several others nearly got lynched by the passengers until barbarian hordes started attacking as well. Yes, barbarian hordes. I wish I was joking. And that was just the start, really. ShapeShifter Town was destroyed by the aforementioned barbarians, who were supported by a race of mysterious mechanical spiders, and though I got away I also managed to get a buncha my ribs cracked in doing so.

Then our escape-pod crashed.

See what I'm getting at here?

It was then that I got the pleasure of waking up to the Angel I called a leader, a friend and a comrade for nearly two decades going postal on all our asses and flinging me about the forest like a ragdoll. Someone did manage to stop him eventually, but I was feeling pretty rough around the time we got drugged and kidnapped by a bunch of fucking emo-kids. Which, admitedly, we did manage to escape from, but still.

Then someone suggested we all take a lovely road-trip to Insanity.

And muggins here got to go with them.

So, we got to Insanity to be threatened by wolves and vampires, and then the same fucking Angel drops out of the woodwork and hurls me around like a ragdoll. Again.

So that's why I shouldn't be feeling this good right now. My ribs should be grating against one another. I should still have a dislocated shoulder. And I really shouldn't feel like I've just had a damn good sleep. Yet never-the-less, I feel good. Really, really good. The best I've felt in days, in fact. Which only serves to confuse me more.

And I don't think I'm lying in the dirt in Insanity anymore, somehow. The ground isn't metal there, last I checked.

Opening my eyes, I find myself slumped against a crate in what appears to be some sort of cargo hold. I can see some of the others lying around in various stages of consciousness or unconsciousness, as well, which is reassuring, and the pistol tucked into my holster is a reassuring weight, too. Pushing myself to my feet, something which takes a lot less effort than it should for me, I look around at the others.
"So I think I blacked out after Asmodeus came back from round two. Someone fancy filling me in on what happened after? And where we are now?"

Grant thinks back over the last few day's events, confused as to why his injuries have been healed so quickly. He then asks the people in the hold in general what happened after he was knocked out by Asmodeus.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/121spPNFnF0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/121spPNFnF0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

One of the Chimeras looked Grant's way.

"This one's conscious." she said, a Combat Medic going to Grant with a jerry can of water.

"Why isn't he in the med bay with the other bodies?" the soldier asked, pouring water into a salvaged shot glass for Grant. The Chimera shrugged her shoulders.

"Again, someone mind bringing me up to speed?" Grant asked after finishing the first shot.

"I wish I could say for sure what happened." the medic replied, refilling the glass. "Foxbat and I were on CASEVAC duty during the whole ordeal. You might ask one of the shooters."

"And we are where?" Grant asked, drinking more water. The medic looked at Foxbat who, again, shrugged her shoulders.

"Hey, Wombat! What's the name of this ship?" he shouted at the Chimera battalion leader.

"The Harbinger." Wombat shouted back before going back to issuing out wrenches and crowbars.

"Yeah, the Harbinger. Fox guy, ahh..."

"Drake." Foxbat interjected.

"Yeah, Drake. Dude Drake's in charge here. Bossman McCarthy went to talk to him." the Medic finished. Grant finished another shot of water. "Oh, I'm PFC Schmitz. They call me Doc Schmitz."

"Well, Doc Schmitz, I thank you for the water. Always good to see a sign of goodwill from a fellow man."

"I wouldn't be doing my job as an ISAF soldier if I didn't extend goodwill in such dire times." Schmitz replied.

"Did you say 'ISAF?'" Schmitz nodded. "Enlighten me, please... I'd love to hear more."

-------------------------------------

(OOC)
-Grant's questions are answered and water is provided... by ISAF.
(/OOC)

Lacing fingers pensively, Drake nodded at Archy.

"No, some elected to stay and look for their Shadow's body."

"Shadow?" Acqua asked quietly, her tiny body dwarfed even further by Kariskan's height

"Asmodeus,"
he clarified, offering the girl a smile "He dreamed the Cycle wanted him to play the butcher, and so that is what he became. Evidently, he did not live up to his namesake."

"Who was left?" Archy pressed, rising from her bed.

"Too many," Drake answered gravely, "Gone in the blast or concerned with a corpse."

"So he's dead then?" a gruff voice interrupted almost jovially, "Less for me and my own to worry about if that angel fuck's gone."

"Ah, Commander McCarthy,"
Drake greeted the tanker, eyes briefly jumping to Archetype and back, "The eyepatch suites you."

"Thanks, the color goes well with the uniform, now where are we heading?"

"Glad you asked, I'd like you all to have a choice in this."

Kariskan grunted, fixing the kitsune with fierce eyes. Acqua stuck close to her protector, but both she and Archy looked at Drake expectantly.

"Word has it the Hero has arrived in Iwaku City and by the sound of it, they aim to crown it the new monarch."

"Deposing Rory?" McCarthy asked wolfishly, "Not very hero-like of it."

"Rory is nowhere to be found,"
the kitsune answered frowning, "There is some speculation of his death in the n00b invasion, but anyone who knew the King probably thinks he's just taking a sideline seat again."

"Not much of a king,"
McCarthy scoffed, "Outdated office anyways."

"Quite,"
Drake agreed with a nod, "But that doesn't change the fact that Myrn and I will be there for the coronation."

"Coronation?" Porg had drifted closer, Obskeree fluttering to adjust her seat on his shoulder, her needles and material undulating gracefully. Porg looked tired, but quick on the mend...as did they all. Drake offered him a grin and beckoned him to come closer.

"We fight the damned angel and the 'hero' takes the glory. Dishonorable swine." Kariskan snorted derisively, stretching the sore muscles of his arm. Surprisingly, they were almost back to how they had been before the battle.

"You all have the option to leave this ship when you are able, but our current destination is the fanfare of newly reconquered Iwaku Town."

Winking at them all, the kitsune leaned against Archy's bed. "We're already faced the so-called Shadow...is no one interested to see who claims to be the Hero?"

Summary: (Sorry for so much hijacking) Conversation on where they are going...reaction posts will be followed by our arrival.

"I'd like to see this Hero," The Grandmaster half snorted "I've seen a fair few.." his tone changed and a slight pained expression took over his face "almost all were killed. Lets see if this 'Hero' lives up to Astartes Standards" He crossed his arms over his bare chest, twisting the many scars over his body as he did so. "Something about this 'Hero' doesn't sit right with me either," he couldn't quite place where it was but a dark sense of foreboding filled The Grandmaster's mind. "Almost like, a Stormcrow," he added a moment later.

Summary: GMK senses a disturbance in the force.

THE HARBINGER, MAIN HOLD

I blink at the mention of the ISAF. Though I've encountered them on this world a few times, I still can't help but think of Ryker and his mercenary army from my days aboard the Legacy when I hear it.

The similarities between the two are quite scary, as well.

I look down at the salvaged glass, wishing it was something stronger, and finish it in one swallow before returning it to Doc Schmitz.
"Don't suppose you guys have any cigarettes I could crash, do you?" Schmitz nods and pulls a pack from one of his uniform's many pockets.

"Fresh from the ruins of Scrap Iron City," he says with a humourless smile as he hands me one of his cigarettes and lights it.
"You guys get attacked, too?" I ask, taking a long, deep drag and feeling the nicotine begin to help my body relax. Exactly what I've been needing. Now if only I could find some booze.

Schmitz lights another up and tucks it in the corner of his mouth with practised balance before returning both the lighter and his pack to the pockets they came from before nodding.

"Bet your fucking ass we did. Fuckin' spider things came outta nowhere. Don't know what's left of home now. Somehow, I doubt there's very much still standing."
"But don't you fret,"
the woman, Foxbat, interjects with a bitter, sardonic tone, "For the mighty 'Hero' of Iwaku has returned to defeat the Elders and save the fuckin' day. Shame about the goddamn timing, though, huh?"

I look at the soldiers before me. I know the look in their eyes they all have far too well. They're the survivors of something terrible, and the memory of it's gonna stay with them the rest of their lives.

Once again, tragedy's come to Iwaku.

And we didn't manage to stop it. Failure's sure as fuck a bitter cup to drink from.

Sighing, I finish the cigarette and throw the remains to the floor.
"Don't suppose you know where my friends are at, do you?" Schmitz nods and motions with his head.

"Yeah, they're not too far away. C'mon, I'll take you to them." We move through the corridors of the ship, and for a moment it almost feels like I'm back walking the corridors of the Legacy, on my way to the Medical Bay to see Doctor Wright...

...but when we do arrive at the Med Bay, the feeling's gone. Just like the Legacy, on this world and the one I left behind.

"I'll leave you here, mate," Schmitz says to me, holding out his hand for me to shake it, "Nice meeting you." I smile and shake the soldier's hand.
"I'll catch you around the ship. Don't suppose there's any booze been scavenged at all now, is there?" He smiles.

"I'll see what I can find."

I move into the Med Bay in time to hear a few familiar voices alongside some unfamiliar ones.
"...to see this Hero... I've seen a fair few." The booming voice of Karsikan is immediately recogniseable, and I move towards it. "Something about this 'Hero' doesn't sit right with me either... almost like, a Stormcrow." I round the corner just as the Space Marine finishes speaking to see him, Acqua, Myrn, Jack and Obskeree standing around Archy's bed, with an unfamiliar figure standing with them.

"Wouldn't mind seeing this Hero myself," I say as I step amongst them, "Like to ask them what took 'em so fucking long." I look at the group and smile. "I lost consciousness not long after Asmodeus decided it'd be fun to use me as a ragdoll. What happened after?"

Grant talks with the ISAF troops for a bit and learns of the fate of Scrap Iron City, before meeting the others in the Med Bay and enquiring as to what happened after he blacked out.

Well, they're downers.
"I think we should reserve judgement until we actually see this person..."

Archy sat up in her bed, looking over everyone again. There weren't too many, at least compared to who went into the fight. And the way Drake phrased things...it almost sounded like some people would go to the raging man who had just tried to kill them and ask him for guidance, like an abused wife or a whipped dog staying close to their tormentor.

"But yeah, let's see them. I'd like to know what, exactly, got them so much adoration...Anyways, Grant, Asmodeus pretty much just kept on fighting everyone, made each of his swords into two swords so he had four swords, when Myrn and Drake came in and used this..thing to drain Asmodeus's powers and destroy an oncoming scorpion with them. The explosion was a side effect, I believe..I could give technobabble but that's really it."

Archy talks about wanting to see the hero, but is more hopeful towards what they will be like than Grant/Kariskan. She gives Grant a brief summary, and wonders why it sounds like people are turning to Asmodeus for guidance.

"Technobabble is not necessary," Drake assured, "Your description was apt."

"Handy device," Grant commented with one eyebrow raised, "Could have used it a bit sooner though."

"I'm no scientist...Mr..." Drake searched for the name but couldn't place the face. The human smiled and extended a hand.

"Dr. Grant...and you must be Drake."

At the name, Drake focused on the doctor. Had not Asmodeus mentioned this man? Yes...he and Uriel were those who had seen a single heart move mountains...something to do with the Legacy. Certainly Grant didn't seem all that impressive. He was human, without a doubt, and seemed to possess no powers or abilities besides his no doubt impressive medical knowledge. Despite his lack of extranormal powers, the doctor stood with a rigid determination that had no doubt been tested in the strongest of current.

Here stood a man that simply would not break.

"Ah, yes,"
Drake murmured, taking the offered hand, "I've heard mention of you Dr, Grant...a pleasure to have you among us."
Asmodeus had seemed so determined then. Menacing Drake, his wings outspread, the angel had tried to communicate some immutable measure of human spirit...human will...into the wererat. Hardened by war and shattered expectation, Drake could not see it then. Perhaps this man would show him what Asmodeus had spoke of. Could there be Heroes? True Heroes? The thought had once seemed ludicrous, but the Angel had believed it unquestionably. Grand delusions or a simple and obscured truth. Either way, he needed to focus on the matters at hand.
Grant smiled, a touch of bemusement to his features. Not allowing him to comment, Drake continued and swept past the Doctor along with the remainder of the assembled.

"We will be approaching the Iwaku Castle airspace soon...Myrn and I need to assure the border that we're here to pay our respects to The Hero."

He turned to the rest before ushering the regent with him into the cockpit, "I can't imagine how terrible it would be to get this far only to be shot down as enemies."

He cast a hand dismissively into the air, pushing Myrnodyn ahead of him. "Put on whatever you deem presentable, no doubt the Hero will want to greet the men and women who killed the Shadow for it."

Summary: Drake meets Dr. Grant...and then assures the rest that they will be landing soon and to be ready. New thread will be starting soonish, so reaction responses to that and we can get boogeying to Diana's new groove.

Reactions: 1 person

"Colonel, muster the men." Carl ordered, following suite to prepare for landing. "We need Vasilev's birds to transmit friendly IFF signals, weapons safe."

"Of course. Can't have the Slavs ruin the peace process."

"This isn't peace. We're still at war." Carl replied as they passed a Minigunner. The soldier walked right up to Karsikan, dwarfed by the Space Marine.

"'Scuse me, but I gotta talk to you 'bout yer armor." the Minigunner said.

"What say you?"

"It's fucked. I looked at it, Pile Driver looked at it... We can't fix it, not now at least." he paused. "An' even if they got supplies at whatever LZ we're goin' to I doubt we can bring it back up to whatever operational standards you had."

"Then what do you propose?" Karsikan asked, looming over the Minigunner.

"Buddy, I'm gonna ask you to step off and now. I'm not in the mood fer any shit." Karsikan backed up. "Now the only thing I can think that we can do is bolt some armor plating to it. It's only a stop-gap but it's better than nothing. 'Course that's if we get the supplies to do so. If not, well, we tried."

"Do you know when you may get supplies?" Karsikan asked him again. The Minigunner leaned against a bulkhead and sighed.

"Nothin's set in concrete. When we get to Iwaku City we'll find out. Just ask for Master Sergeant Sneeden. If the others don't know who yer talkin' about tell 'em yer lookin' fer Beach Head." Sneeden said before taking his leave. Back in the cargo bay Carl was back where Breaker had set up his radio, handset to his head.

"No, do not head to Iwaku City. Just send your Chinooks there. I want your main force to head to the Jilachi Chasm." he said into the radio. What the Iwakuans call the Roleplay Chasm the Dystopians call the Jilachi Chasm. According to them it is part of the Northern Jilachi, making it part of the Jilachi as a whole. "Alright, keep me posted. Out..."

"So, what unit was that?" Archetype asked, playing with a very large knife.

"The 84TH Experimental Weapons Battalion. Captain Road Rage took in some units from the 17TH Air Cav." Carl replied, Breaker going back to trying to establish contact with whoever else was out there. "We'll have supplies waiting for us when we get to Iwaku City."

"Excellent. On that note perhaps now is not the best of times to mention Operation: Hydra." the Colonel said, suggestively running her fingers down the blunt side of the knife. Operation: Hydra was Dystopia's battle plan for an invasion of Iwaku City.

"No... For starters we don't have the manpower or materiel to do so." Carl replied as Breaker held the handset to him again. "Furthermore that plan calls for nuclear ordnance. I don't have that authorization nor do we know if '17 is still operational." He turned his attention to the handset. "Field Commander McCarthy..."

"This is Captain Pliskin. We have survivors in the Mendel Wildlife Preserve. What are your orders?" the SPECWAR Captain asked.

"Proceed to the Jilachi Chasm. If you can rendezvous with the 84TH EWB. They're heading that way." Carl replied.

"Order understood. Out..." Carl returned the handset to Breaker then took his cap off and ran a hand over his bald scalp.

"It's quite a burden, isn't it?" Archetype asked the tanker.

"Leadership is the burden hardest to bear, Colonel. When you start second guessing yourself then it's time to pass the torch to someone else."

----------------------------

(OOC)
-Karsikan is brought up to speed on his armor. Carl continues talking to survivors and sending ground units to the Northern Jilachi Desert and transports to Iwaku City.
(/OOC)

"You go do that. We wouldn't want to make a habit of getting shot down, now."

Archy watched Drake head off to the cockpit, then stretched around some in her bed.
"Man, this day feels like it went for on months...wake me up when we get there."

She went back to a more resting position, and turned over to go to sleep. So much left to do...

Acqua simply looked at the people who were talking before taking a look around the place. She felt anxious to meet this Hero person. Wouldn't it be weird if the hero actually wasn't here? Acqua pondered the thought for a moment before noticing a late riser getting up.
------
Natalie was one of the last to wake up. Strange changes had occurred and it seemed to her that something was horribly different, yet still the same. It was quite a curious feeling, really. Something seemed to be absent, but nothing seemed to be wrong, so she got up, moving her hair out of her eyes and brushing the sand off of her clothes with her hands before noticing the others who were already up. She had been listening to them earlier, but had been too lazy to get up. She knew that they were going to meet some "Hero" figure. Hmm, so a kind stranger has arrived? Natalie thought. I guess we should thank them, right? Natalie playfully asked herself, to surprisingly enough, receive no answer to the question.

Drake settled next to Myrn as Iwaku City came into view. Smoke rose from the obvious destruction and the streets teemed with people and n00bs alike. But their gaze was not drawn to the chaos. Hovering above the city was a space station unlike anything either of them had seen before. The circular leviathan practically covered the entire city. Sensor arrays blinked from its mottled back and swarms of small ships passed back and forth like bees amid the hive.

Sending the Harbinger beneath the station was almost like descending into a sea of shadows. Immediately hailed by the station, Drake announced his intentions to land and witness the Hero with stoic speculation. Myrnodyn and Void handled the rest, descending slowly through the stricken city and coming to rest on the ruins of a bakery.

Pressing a button on the array, Drake spoke into the mic before standing and making his way to the hiss of releasing air at the hatch door.

"Everyone, please make your way to the Hatch door and prepare to disembark. We've landed in Iwaku City and it appears that the Hero is standing on the battlements of Iwaku Castle. I can't get any closer with the Harbinger, but you're all free to accompany Myrn and myself out to see this so called True Hero. I ask that you come unarmed...the people have seen quite a bit of violence these past weeks and I don't want to frighten them."

EVERYONE IN THE SHIP FOLLOW THE BELOW LINK TO THE CORONATION OF THE HERO.

http://space-kitten.org/iwaku/showthread.php?t=2296&p=73001#post73001

Status
Not open for further replies.