The Dorien Academy for Young Men

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Kole looked at the boy then at the ceiling.
"It's a cruel world Jem. Nobody seems to like anybody for who they really are. I'm a drug addict that likes to draw and do art... not your exactly your everyday bad boy that's expected." Kole ran a hand through his hair. He didn't care if Jem was gay, as long as he didn't pretend to be something he wasn't Kole didn't mind.

"W-well, I like you for who you are," he told Kole, his voice almost too soft to be heard. "I don't care that you're addicted to drugs or...or anything..." He bit his bottom lip, hoping that he wasn't accidentally telling Kole that he liked him.

"I-I mean...you're kind to me, you're funny...you...you've never been mean to mean to me, and...even after I got you hurt and told you I'm gay, you're still talking to me..." He gave a small smile, his hazel eyes filled with light.

Kole continued looking at the ceiling as Jem talked to him. "At least someone doesn't expect a shit load from people. I'm only trying to get by in life, I don't care for what people think I am," Kole said. He thought of Jem as his first real friend now. Someone he can be around and not have to feel like a lie.
Kole looked over at Jem after he said why he like Kole for who he was. Kole smiled at Jem after hearing that. It was probably the first real smile since his uncle passed away.

When Kole smiled at him, Jem felt like his heart was going to explode. Kole had such a nice smile, and he felt really happy to get to see it. As his cheeks turned a bright red, he looked down and let his hair fall into his eyes, not wanting Kole to get the wrong--or right--idea.

When the heat had left his cheeks, Jem brushed his hair back and looked back at Kole, a small smile on his lips. "I-is...not liking fake people the reason you don't have a girlfriend?" he asked Kole, trying to get a feel for him. Maybe, he could find out for sure if Kole was into guys.

Kole chuckled at Jem's question. "I don't have a girlfriend because I don't know how to act towards them. A lot of them are fake though, it's tough finding real girls." Kole said and let his voice trail off.
Kole was afraid of getting in a relationship because he remembered how violent his dad was. He doesn't want to get too attached to someone only to have hurt them the way his father did.
"My family is screwed up," Kole accidentally said out loud. "I mean.. that I um... my family is.. different.."

"Oh," he said softly as Kole said that he didn't have a girlfriend for reasons other than the one that Jem was hoping for. "S-so you're straight, then," he mumbled, trying to not let his hopes get down. He had expected this: it was more than likely that Kole would have been straight, and he hadn't wanted to get his heart broken.

Sighing softly, he nodded at Kole's next statement. "It's fine...I understand...You don't have to tell me, if you don't want to." He gave a small smile and brushed his hair back, trying to seem cool and casual.

Kole gave Jem a strange look when he said something about him being straight.
"To be honest I don't know what I'm into. In case you haven't noticed, my family did not treat me well and I ended my of my time on the streets and hanging with bad people. I didn't care for a love life." Kole said as he looked back at the ceiling.
Did Jem like him or something? Kole wasn't sure, but he didn't want that to get in the way of their friendship.

"Oh...okay..." Jem said softly. He wouldn't pretend to understand; after all, he had always known that he was gay, and his parents had always been accepting of him. He had grown up in a loving family, the beloved only child of an award-winning physicist and a brain surgeon.

Running his fingers through his hair, he glanced at Kole, wishing he had some way to help him. "Do...do you wanna talk about it...?" he asked, biting his bottom lip. "I mean...if you don't want to, I'm not gonna make you. But I'm...I just want you to know that you can..."

"There's nothing to talk about," Kole said, a bit angry, mainly at himself.
Kole then sat up on the edge of the bed.
"I don't to stay here Jem," Kole said.

Jem watched Kole sit up and move to the edge of the bed, his hazel eyes curious. "W-where do you want to go...?" he asked Kole, biting his bottom lip. "I...I can get you some food if you want...or something...." He bit his bottom lip, worried that Kole might end up hurting himself more.

"Anywhere but here," Kole said as he ran a hand through his hair.
He stood up and stretched. He still had a headache but he disregarded the pain.
"We can go back to the passageway if you want."

Jem shook his head, saying, "No...I don't want you to get hurt again, especially with your concussion...maybe tomorrow...do you want to come to my room? Or we can go to the gardens...they're really pretty when it's snowy out..."

Kole sighed, "Yeah, we can go to your room or the gardens." Kole stood up and waited for Jem to come with.

Jem nodded, and got to his feet. "We'd better get jackets...I've probably got an extra jacket in my room..." He led Kole to the dormitory wing, and up to the third floor. Soon, they were in his dorm. It was rather average, for a teenage boy. There were clothes on the floor, books tossed about haphazardly, posters on the wall, and various other odds and ends everywhere.

"Sorry it's such a mess," he said softly, walking to one of the beds. On it was a faded blue hoodie amid the blankets and textbooks. Picking it up, he said, "I can wear this...I've got a better one you can borrow." He pulled on the hoodie, zipping it up as he went to his dresser. Digging through it, he found a nice black jacket that would keep Kole warm.

"Here," he said, handing it to Kole. "It should fit you..."

Kole followed Jem with his hands in his pants pockets. He stayed quiet most of the time, thinking about what he told Jem. He didn't know why he decided to talk about his home life, he never did before...
When they finally got to Jem's dorm he waited when he was told there was a better jacket he can borrow. Jem pulled out a black jacket.
"Ha, you know me so well," Kole teased, it was only a black jacket, but it really did look better on him than the blue hoodie would have.
It fit perfectly and he already felt more warm.

Jem had to admit, he liked how Kole looked in his jacket. Smiling a bit, he ran his fingers through his hair and said, "Well, we should go..." he said, leading Kole out of his dorm. They walked out of the building and went to gardens that were placed behind the main building.

As they opened the door outside, Jem gasped and pulled his jacket further around himself. "Shit, it's cold," he said, goosebumps immediately rising on his arms. Soon, though, he grew used to the cold, and was leading Kole down a barely-shoveled path, their breath puffing in front of their lips. Sighing softly, he said, "So, uh...sorry, again, for taking you down that staircase and getting you hurt..."

Kole shivered a bit once they left the building. "Well.. it is winter," Kole said on Jem's comment about it being cold.
He chuckled when Jem apologize again. "I was the one that was stupid enough to drink and miss a step. How's your arm by the way."
Kole didn't really listen for an answer, because once he actually looked at the garden he realized how beautiful it looked.
"I'll be right back," he said before running back in the building. He ran to his dorm room to get his sketchbook and drawing supplies.
He was told not to run with a concussion but he didn't want to keep Jem waiting.

When Kole ran off, he stood there, shoving his hands into his pockets. It felt like Kole was taking forever, and he felt like an idiot sitting there shivering in the cold. Sighing heavily, he cupped his hands around his mouth and blew into them, hoping that Kole would hurry.

Shoving his hands back into his pockets, he let out a heavy sigh, his dark eyes gazing across the expansive gardens.

Kole finally made it back to Jem. "You were right, the garden looks beautiful in winter," Kole said and smiled at Jem while he held up his sketchbook, and pencils, both colored and not colored.

When Kole finally returned, Jen gave him a smile, and was about to ask where he'd gone to when he answered him ahead of time. "Oh," he hummed, not really understanding how someone could draw white snow on white paper. "Can you show me some of your drawings? I don't have any drawing talent at all...I can barely dance, too..." He ran his fingers through his hair, a sigh on his lips.