The Dark Carnival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aveline listened carefully, just as she usually did. For any tip, for any little slip up about what the Ringmaster was planning for them next. However, just like always, she found next to nothing. She knew it would be next to impossible for Meric to give anything away, but she couldn't help but to hope. Just one small slip was all she'd need to try and get them out of here. She already knew the new grounds. Just because her sight was gone, didn't mean she couldn't get the lay of the lands. This time, she thought she found a chink in the magical barrier during her flight the night before. A place where the repulsion wasn't as strong. It would take a lot, but perhaps she could tear down the barrier itself from that spot? She would have hope.... she always would despite the uncaring facade she presented to the others. No reason to get their hopes up for a whim of hers.

Once the chains fell away, she slowly climbed to her feet, hands bracing the wall. Since she didn't have any specific commands, she could take her time. Thank goodness the Ringmaster still thought she was adjusting to her blindness otherwise he would be more wary of her. She, of course, had no clue he was on to her. Once she was on her feet, she allowed her wings to stretch out to their full length. Even if she couldn't see it, she could feel a few knots that she would have to work out on her own. Once that was done, she turned, movements slow and careful as she walked towards the hall. One hand was always pressed to the wall as if to guide her. Like she needed it anyways. If she could fly through the air unaided she could definitely maneuver on the ground. However, it was all an act with her. The show never truly ended.

After a moment or so, she stopped and raised a hand to her face only to be met with a sticky wetness. Fantastic. She was bleeding again. Looks like her bandages needed changed as well. She was right before the hall, hand still delicately placed against the wall. As much as she hated it, she knew she couldn't change her own bandages. She could wash the dirt from her hair and pale skin, work the knots from her wings with ease... However, the only things she ever needed help with were her bandages and finding her own clothes. Keeping the same soft tone from before, she turned to where she'd last heard Meric's voice. "If you have a moment, could you help me...?" She asked, motioning helplessly to the bloody bandages over her eyes.

Tyler was awake during everyone's conversation when they were all waking up. He couldn't even remember he had a good night sleep. Oh it's easily been years at least. He couldn't even remember when he got here.

He heard someone speaking to what sounded like a young child. He was slowly shaking his head to himself. "Hope, oh that's adorable." He thought to himself. He had hope once, but he lost that a long time ago. And even if they did get out of here, where will they go?

Every single one freak that was in this room will possibly be rejected. How can anyone love a blind angel, a half child and half cat, or someone that had a metal lodged into their own body, or someone like him?

He was once normal, but thanks to that godforsaken ringmaster, he was now this mess. The people call him "The Human Puzzle" the reason for that name will be obvious when you see him.

He was lost in his train of thought when he believed that someone said it was now time to go bathe. He just sat there and kept looking out into the darkness that surrounded him still.

[fieldbox=Payton Lynch, pink, solid]

tails%20white%20long%20hair%20animal%20ears%20red%20eyes%20thigh%20highs%20seifuku%20blush%20gray%20hair%20anime%20girls_www.animalhi.com_79.jpg
Payton attempted to make herself look smaller as a snake woman approached. She smelled funny, and the giant thing on her arm talked. It was scary, and made her body tremble with fear. Another man walked in, and he was more fancy, dressed with one of those outfits that butlers used to wear on the TV shows her mommy used to watch. Maybe he could help her?

The chains seemed to melt off her body, but it didnt surpress the feeling of enclosure. The doors locked with a click, and they were all surrounded by something stronger than walls, something she could feel but couldnt see. Maybe she could just.. Get up and run away? She was small. She could run fast, or she used to. She wasnt sure she could run that fast anymore with paws instead of feet.

Walking up to the tall man with a coat, she stood only up to his waist. He was very tall, and she had to tilt her head back to look at his face. There was something dark behind his eyes, something she couldnt place. A turmoil that was raging, as if two beings were trying to fit inside his head. It was fightening to look inside of his eyes, where little soul was left. It was broken and in peices.

"Excuse me? I-I don't want to play this game anymore.. Can I go home now?"

[/fieldbox]

Orianna James & Tennen James

Even the sound of the snake woman's voice caused Orianna's hair standing up straight on the back of her head. "What is this? Is everyone just plain insane here?" She was convinced the puppet-like girl asked one question too many, when the freak woman let her black pet snake reach the girl's body. Orianna growled lightly like a wild wolf pup held in prison and she already prepared many shameful swears to use when the sound of the doors broke every discussion on the subject. Both Orianna and Tennen looked towards the doors with everyone else in the room. The male walked in calmly. "Now, now, you two; you're scaring the little ones with all those hissing words. They need time to get use to things, all things." Orianna remembered those two bloody horns stuck on her forehead. "These things?" She mumbled to herself before sitting down and trying to peel them off stubbornly. It only caused pain and a bleeding as if she wanted to break the bond with what she was born with. "Don't." She looked at her brother. "I can get rid of them." She responded wiping a tiny stream of blood running down the side of her face. Tennen shook his head. "We will get rid of them when we are out. I promise." It was a surprise. Tennen never promised anything he couldn't grant and granting any promise at this point was highly unlikely.

Suddenly, the light flashed into the room and they both were forced to shield their eyes now completely used to darkness. It was bloody painful. "I'm Meric, your friendly neighborhood manager...for the moment. And it's bath time." The male announced as if he was the teacher introducing himself to the new class. Though not thinking about it till that moment, Orianna had to admit she really needed one. Maybe then, she would be able to think without her brother babysitting her all the time. "The Ringmaster wishes for all newcomers to be washed, dressed, and in the Big Top for their first day on the job." Orianna shouted out. "Shitty job, BOSS. You better pay me good, you ass." Meric proceeded. "You guys have parts to learn. Only a few days left before your big debut. I'm in charge of making sure...you learn everything. It's no good to disappoint The Ringmaster, so please don't mess up." Tennen nodded."As I thought." Orianna turned to him. "Thought what exactly?" Her brother smirked lightly. "I do not believe they are the actual bad guys." Orianna groaned and yanked on her chain. "Well excuse me for being paranoid in this lovely place eh."

The clap of hands was heard and suddenly, their hands seemed much lighter. The shackles dropped and almost instantly, Orianna could feel the results of pulling and yanking. He wrists were red and sore and she rubbed them lightly. "Elspeth, could you kindly manage the young one over there. Morticia, help the young ladies for me please. I'll work with the men in our new family, and Juuzou.... Don't scare them anymore than they already are. No torture until the performance." Family? Funny way to call the charade. Orianna looked at her brother in disbelief. At that point, she really hated him not being around more than she hated his smart ass attitude when he was. "No. You can't." Tennen smiled and got up. "It is just a shower. I will see you later Kiddo." She was never as worried about his as she was at that point. "Chop, chop! No time to waste! The Ringmaster doesn't prefer to wait on us. We're the ones who are to wait on him." And she followed. Not like she had much choice but she was not at all pleased by being ordered to do things on someone else term. Though yes, shower did sound somewhat nice. Funny enough but true.

• Love
Reactions: Hana
tumblr_mfbwqda2541rhdp62o1_r1_500.gif

Elspeth | The Snake Mistress + 'Basilisk'
Meric's words prompted a slight chuckle from the so-called 'snake lady', who lifted daintily manicured fingers to cover her lips. Scales glinted and shone around her wrists, a pale color, almost white. Behind the iron mask that locked the power of a basilisk, Elspeth's 'precious' golden eyes glinted with amusement. She could tell the other veteran was smirking in amusement even without her sight, and she inclined her head in his direction, returning his knowing smirk. He was the one veteran that Elspeth could understand. Much like her, the Ringmaster had gifted the magician with powers beyond normal human comprehension. The chain that pained and bound him to the Ringmaster, the way he was obliged to follow his will... And how he still kept somehow sane by following orders. She knew he had been injured some time ago by one of the creations who had tried to escape. Both of them were more often the ones who got the orders to retrieve or restrain the more rebellious ones, so they did work together. Though outside of that, Elspeth was most often among her own snakes.

"Charming as ever, Meric," Noir hissed, sharing in his mistress' amusement. Elspeth 'tsked' and hushed her dear serpent friend, tapping his head and prompting him to stay quiet. She could have sworn the large, black snake seemed affronted and annoyed at being asked to quiet down, but at least he listened. Among her snakes, Noir was one of the more frightening in appearance, but in reality he was rather quite sweet. At least, to Elspeth, he was. It probably helped that she raised him when he had hatched from his egg, and he regarded her as his mother and mistress. He also acted as her 'eyes' whenever she had to keep the iron mask on her face. Even if her eyes were covered, she could still see through her snakes, from the little hisses they would tell her what they saw around them.

One of the newcomers caught her attention by shouting out at Meric, the strident and brash voice making her chuckle. "A spirited one, hm?" She would have to ask Noir what that one looked like later, along with the other voice who replied to the aggravated female. That one is lucky to have someone she knows in this place. Rarely anyone gets that chance. It was really a hassle that her eyes had to be hidden sometimes, but the power of her eyes couldn't be turned off. It was a little lonely at first, to not be able to look other people in the eye, and only her snakes were immune to her power. That was probably why she had started to isolate herself with her snakes. Nowadays, they were the only ones who could understand the teal-haired woman's thoughts and feelings. And the Ringmaster... He knew that.

I can't let him hurt my family. Because if one thing remained in Elspeth from her days before her captivity, it was her fierce maternal instinct and possessiveness over what she saw as hers. No one was going to hurt one of hers, and that kept her leashed to the Ringmaster more than anything ever could. Besides, it wasn't so bad. The Ringmaster would gift her with rare eggs containing beautiful and useful snakes to introduce to her family if she was a 'good girl'.

Even though Meric couldn't see it, Elspeth arched a fine teal eyebrow. He had just earlier told her that her snake was probably frightening the little one. But she nodded, and with smooth strides walked in front of where the little one was, close to the veteran magician. Meric, in turn, was talking to their resident blind angel, Aveline. Knowing the Ringmaster, the magician had probably been tasked with keeping a close eye on Aveline. Elspeth didn' really know why some of them still tried to escape, anyway. But now, back to her task. Tilting her head, she seemed to look down on the young girl, even if she couldn't actually see her. Hearing her frightened words, Elspeth sighed inwardly. But she let her lips curve up into a faint smile, one that wasn't threatening, as she leaned down in front of the girl.

"We are sorry, little one," Elspeth kept her tone mild and gentle, her sweet voice acting as a calming effect, and after a moment of thought added a hint of her power with her voice. She kept it light, only a subtle suggestion to be sent to the girl's mind through her hearing: 'Calm down, you will be fine.' She saw nothing wrong with lying if it kept this one calm and out of trouble. It would be better for her if she didn't irritate the Ringmaster, and now it was Elspeth's job to educate her. "But the game isn't over yet. But I will take care of you and teach you, and if you listen, I will even protect you." Keeping up the mild compulsion in her voice to keep the young girl calm, she raised her hand and brushed back some locks of hair from the small face, taking care not to brush against the unnatural wolf ears. The snake woman knew how painful transplants could be at first, but everyone got used to it after enough time. "What is your name, sweet child? We are going to take a bath, wouldn't you like to be clean?" She knew there were still some blood on the newcomers, and they were also filthy because of their surroundings.

tails%20white%20long%20hair%20animal%20ears%20red%20eyes%20thigh%20highs%20seifuku%20blush%20gray%20hair%20anime%20girls_www.animalhi.com_79.jpg

Payton jumped as the same voice from before rang out behind her, making her tail take on the texture of a bottlebrush. She turned away from the doorman, and looked to see the girl with the big thing on her arm talking to her. It was scary, but the girl herself was pretty. She had shimmery things on her body that sparkled as it caught the miniscule amount of light in the room, and her hair was long and pretty.

Payton tilted her head, her ears going lopsided in the process.
"Okay, But I dont really like this game very much."
The little wolf girl sighed before smiling a little, taking of the girls locks in her small hands, feeling the pretty strands of hair.
"My name is Payton, im seven. You're really pretty."
She giggled and bounced on the balls of her feet, running her little hands across the snake-woman's arms, feeling the smooth scales that protruded from her forearms. For some reason, her eyes wouldnt cross over her own, but the thought never occured to her why. She was still afraid, but the pretty woman seemed like one she could trust.

@Hana

[/fieldbox]

Elspeth | The Snake Mistress + 'Basilisk'

To say Elspeth was surprised that the small child would even want to touch her, after her supposedly fearsome appearance, would be more than accurate. Even Noir had fallen silent and kept to himself, surprised as he was that this girl, Payton, had touched his mistress. They were both quiet for a moment, regarding Payton quietly. Elspeth had never quite gotten used to human touch after all the time she had spent here.

She chuckled again, this time her laughter a little more genuine, as she felt her hair being tugged and held in Payton's little hands. A small part of her that was mostly ignored nowadays felt a slight trill of warmth at Payton's words, and she wished she could see the young girl's face. But it was better for her to never see Elspeth's eyes, which were used more often than not to harm and to capture. Just that thought gave her a feeling of hollowness that passed by too quickly for her to think too deeply upon.

"Well hello, Payton," she replied softly, her voice more gentle now and, dare she say it, real. While she still had to keep up something mild to keep Payton calm and at ease, she was doing it more out of want to see the 'wolf girl' have an easier time in the Carnival. "I am sure you are also pretty," she said after a moment with a slight grin. I wish I could see you. Noir could tell me, but for once I wish I could just look. She stilled at the feeling of small hands running over her arms, touching not only the human skin but also the snake scales. When was the last time someone would willingly touch me, aside from work?

Even the other veterans of the Carnival were wary of her and her eyes, and once they got to know the compelling power of her voice, and the illusions she could weave into their right minds - but didn't most go somewhat mad? - no one would trust her. Especially not when they knew she just followed the Ringmaster's orders to keep her snakes safe. Was it really any wonder she kept to herself? Her eyes were an aberration, they were supposedly beautiful but no one could look right at them. How many times had she wanted, long ago, to crush a mirror? They weren't beautiful even if they were golden in color.

But Payton was young, possibly one of the youngest ever to be taken into the Carnival. Elspeth supposed that was why she was so innocent and willing to accept everything at face value. That would only hurt her in the long run... And I will have to teach her. ... I sincerely hope I will not be someone who would have to hurt her when the time comes.

There was nothing she could say to Payton's words about the 'game', except give her a smile tinged with wistfulness. She reached a hand to gently touch one of Payton's, covering it gently and holding it in hers. "Now, let's get you cleaned up. I have new and pretty clothes for you to wear, too." Holding Payton's hand in hers, she nodded to Meric, ready to lead Payton to the showers. Morticia would be the one to tend to the older female newcomers; she would only step in if she had to, or if one lashed out.

• Love
Reactions: Ayla
"Of course, Meric" she answered with a soft voice, slightly bowing her head. The feeling of his lips still lingering on her skin, sending an unexplainable feeling in her chest. Morticia then started helping the young girls, following the ring master's orders. She needed to finish his order cleanly and swiftly, or else punishment will fall upon her. She was about to comfort the cat girl when Elspeth beat her to it. "My, my. Looks like someone found a toy~" she cooed at the snake mistress, her smile turning into a grin. Turning her green eyes towards the rest of the girls, she giggled "Well then, shall we get going?? Ring master won't be pleased if we're late~" Morticia stated, gesturing them to go into the showers.

Payton smiled at the snake lady, clapping her hands in delight. She was getting new clothes! She didnt remember the last time she got new clothing. Though she didnt like the idea of taking a bath. Her ears and tail still hurt, and her body was sore. Maybe a bath would make her feel better.
"Can I be as pretty as you, Esspeth?"
She didnt know how to pronounce the name, but she did her best. She cocked her head to the side, her ears going crooked on her head. She smiled, once more running her little fingers against the scales on her arms.
"Esspeth, when can I go home? My mommy might be missing me by now.."
@Hana

[/fieldbox]

• Love
Quick Summary & Post

"Elspeth, could you kindly manage the young one over there."

The idea is a simple one - place the feared with the fearful and soon they learn to like the other. The little girl needed to get use to her fears, or else she won't survive the night. Before he could continue, the little wolf shocked him by stepping to his side to tug on his coat tail.

"Excuse me? I-I don't want to play this game anymore.. Can I go home now?"

Meric's heart, the tiny part that was still his own, seem to melt at her innocent request. He wanted to send her home, to send them all home with their true selves in tact; the way they should be. But, Meric had no clue as to how to do this. Thus, the little girl's request only tightened the already tight vice around his hands and his heart cried a little. It was quite visible to see upon his face that he wanted to give her a positive response, but had none to give her. He just silently stared at the girl with a painfully torn and sorrowful expression on his face.

"We are sorry, little one," Elspeth spoke for him this time, giving her the words she needed that he just couldn't find the means to say.

Payton tilted her head, her ears going lopsided in the process. "Okay, But I dont really like this game very much." The little wolf girl sighed before smiling a little, taking of the girls locks in her small hands, feeling the pretty strands of hair. Like such a sweet child, she opened up to the snake charmer, playing with her hair and touching her scaly flesh. That made Meric smile a little...for once.

Looks as if I made the correct choice there. She'll be fine...they both will be just fine.

"Morticia, help the young ladies for me please."

"Of course, Meric," Morticia answered with a tilt of her head.

Again, a delicate lift of his lips was seen as the trapeze artist rounded up the new women in their flock. He recalled his first days under the big top and how Morticia and Aveline were so kind and helpful, especially on his dark days - when his soul and the Ringmaster's touch conflicted the most. They seemed to understand what he was going through even when he did not. And when Elspeth entered their humble group, her calming skills added to the lot, helping him learn to keep hold of as much of himself as possible. And Ever - her insight on the possible outcomes of The Ringmaster's connection with him has helped a time or two, teaching him how to prepare for what the manipulator might do to him. They were his, what's the word for it? His consciousness....his safety net...

"Well then, shall we get going?? Ring master won't be pleased if we're late~" Morticia stated, gesturing them to go into the showers. Meric took a moment to count off as the women passed.

Marietta fell in line - literally tripping over her own feet as she tried to understand how to work her new disjointed parts without tangling herself in the hovering strings attached to her. She bumped into the Dragoness, apologizing and rubbing her sore shoulder as she tried to stand straight. Everything hurts, but she bit her lip and continued to follow the crowd towards the women's showers.

Meric took a moment to count off as the women passed. The Lioness, The Marionette, The Wolfchild, The Blade Dancer, The Fire Wielder and The Dragoness... Yes, that's all of them.

"I'll work with the men in our new family, and Juuzou.... Don't scare them anymore than they already are. No torture until the performance." He wasn't sure if he was heard, for Juuzou tends to block what he doesn't want to hear. He'll just have to keep an eye on him to insure that he doesn't cause a scene. These poor people had enough problems coming to deal with, than the insane carnival madman and his love of pain.

Watching the men stand and move down the tunnel to the shower tent, Meric counted them off in his head as well. The Demon Knife Thrower, The Blind Knife Thrower - what's the deal with all the knife acts? The other Magician...The Voltige, The Stuntman, and The Strongman. Yes, that's the just of them.

"Chop, chop! No time to waste! The Ringmaster doesn't prefer to wait on us. We're the ones who are to wait on him." Stepping to the side to watch the others pass, Meric quietly stood and waited until he heard a delicate voice reach for his ears.

"If you have a moment, could you help me...?" Poor Aveline stood beside him, touching the horrid bloody wraps around her once beautiful eyes. It pained him to see her in such a state, for he was one of the ones who thought her idea to fly around the carnival for a weak spot was a good idea. A touch of his inner humanity reached him, and his face softened with sorrow when he stepped towards her.

"Of course, my dear," he spoke, this time in a tone that she would recognize as his true self. The Ringmaster wasn't present within at the moment, stepping away to allow Meric to be himself for a while. Wrapping an arm around her shoulder, he tucked her gently to his side to help guide her. "Juuzou, mind tending to the guys for me. I'm going to help Aveline here." He looked down at her with a natural smile, a true sight of the Meric she once knew. "We'll get those bandages all taken care of. Maybe, later on, Ever can make you a nice veil for your performances, to give you some privacy as you mystify the audience with your amazing skills."

Feeling guilty, brotherly, and protective all at the same time, Meric waited till the masses left the room before guiding Aveline behind them. When they reached the dressing tent, he moved her towards one of the lighted makeup tables and slowly started to remove the tainted bandages.

"Don't express too much to me of what you've seen," Meric stated, "He's...not listening...right now, but still... I don't want to take any chances." On the outside, he frowned at the damaged, beating himself up for what The Ringmaster did to her. But inside, The Ringmaster's taunting laughed echoed in his mind, hateful comments about the silly little bird's attempts at escape. Taking a deep breath to keep his emotions away from his master's attention, as well as from Aveline's notice, Meric continued to concentrate strictly upon her needs, gently wiping her face clean of the dried blood before wrapping her eyes once again to keep the wounds clean.

Helena Sky
LalaTokyo
lethal_fever
MiraiNikki021209
Ayla
DANAsaur
Thomas McTavish
Minami
Kiltra Mar
Hana
NickSadistic
Ritual Lobotomy
Robin man

Savage Cy
KJDarKnight

Hearing the tone of his voice, a barely noticeable smile spread across her lips. Only someone who knew her would even notice the change of expression. Just from his tone, she could tell that the dreaded man who controlled her friend at times was not present. She was truly speaking to Meric. She settled comfortably at his side and allowed him to guide her. Due to The Ringmaster's presence in him, she couldn't even tell him how well she was able to get around by herself and it pained her to have to hide things from him... but it was for the best.

Her smile widened slightly at his next words. "A veil would be nice." She said, almost wistfully. "It would hide these wretched bandages at least." Even if The Ringmaster said they were part of what added to her 'unique charm', she hated having to wear them. However, until her eyes were cmpletely healed, she would have to deal with them. Finally, she could feel light hitting her pale skin and knew that they must be at one of the make up tables.

As the bandages fell away, they revealed the mess beneath. Her eyes had turned the color of blood, the crimson color covering her entire eyes and blotting out the pupils, irises, and whites. Tears of blood dripped from the corners of her eyes, slowly rolling down her cheeks without the bandages to stop them. Around her eyes were thin cuts, almost like claws had scraped across their surface. Eventually the cuts would go away and the surface of her eyes would heal enough to stop bleeding. However, they would forever remain completely stained red as evidence of the internal injury sustained.

Another small smile graced her lips, this one appearing almost sad. "Don't worry, I've nothing to tell anyways. I've found nothing new... no new hope." She sighed, once again hating to lie to him, but knowing it was necessary. She could feel him cleaning her face and applying the new bandages. She could only hope that these ones would not soak through so quickly. "Once you're done... I've one more favor to ask you. Do you think you could find my clothes? I've no clue where they are since I'm not the one who put them away last and I've no way to find them..."

Payton took the hand of the woman with scales and followed her, being wary of the snake that was wrapped around her neck. It looked dangerous, but the woman seemed completely calm with it writhing and moving around her throat. The man with the tailcoat was talking to a woman with no eyes, and Payton stopped in her tracks to look at her, cocking her head again.

She was still bleeding, and it made Payton sad. She broke away from the grip of the scaled woman and ran over to the girl with wings, ripping off a piece of her bloody dress to try and wipe up the stuff bleeding from her face.
"My mommy told me that its not good to let booboo's bleed. I dont have any band-aids though."
Payton started to pet the girl's wings, and smiled at her, holding the cloth slightly away from her face. She hoped she wasnt hurting her, and she accidentally bumped into the butler-man in the process. She muttered an apology before going back to her task, ignoring the hole in her dress.

@Helena Sky

[/fieldbox]

Elspeth
"I don't quite follow what you are saying, Morticia. Nor do I think I would want to," the teal-haired lady let out a faint laugh in reply to Morticia's, tilting her head. From behind her mask her brow was slightly raised. Morticia's banter and playfulness even in the carnival was something easy to take. Elspeth didn't mind bantering with her from time to time, even if the humor was, as always, dark. There was a slight disapproval in her tone mingled with the amusement, since Elspeth didn't see the young wolf-altered child as a toy or anything close.
"Can I be as pretty as you, Esspeth?" She paused at the young girl's words, before she chuckled . "Payton, I think you're very pretty," she murmured, tone gentle. "But we'll make you the prettiest, alright? I'll also brush and put ribbons in your hair." In a room full of bewildered and frightened adults, and the tainted veterans of the carnival, Payton's innocence shone like a beacon, an inner light from within the little girl. If only that light didn't have to get put out by what the Ringmaster would have in mind for her...

Her smile faded just a touch at the next plaintive, clearly longing question. "Esspeth, when can I go home? My mommy might be missing me by now..."

"Let's take that bath first, sweetling," Elspeth's voice was calm and sweet, any of her heavier feelings hidden from her expression. Not that it would be easy to read someone whose eyes were covered. Aveline was another such person who was also hard to read, if it weren't for the slight changes in body language, or scent that her enhanced senses and her snakes could perceive it would be like reading a blank wall. She smiled again, encasing Payton's small hand in hers. "Your mom would love to see you clean with the pretty dress, wouldn't she? And you're very pretty, your mom must be beautiful too."

Already she was considering if she should use more of her deceptive abilities. Maybe play a trick on Payton's senses, let her 'see' her mother after the performance? Her illusions could be altered to play to the target's desires or fears, after all. And it also could be keyed in to the person's memories. A false image or apparition of Payton's mother to put the young girl's heart at ease... It might seem bad to lie and deceive people like this, but wasn't it better? Giving them some form of respite in this harsh setting? Elspeth rarely granted those 'visions' or 'reunions' to the others, that she was considering this for Payton surprised her.

"You seem to be quite taken with this little morsel, Mistress. Lux would be quite jealous if she were here now."

"Well, she isn't here. And there's nothing wrong with kindness to a young one, is there?" The snake fell silent at that, sensing that Elspeth didn't want to talk further. She nodded at Morticia as she started to lead Payton to the showers, but stopped as the young girl pulled away. She heard and sensed the girl run over to Aveline and Meric, turning her head in their direction. Still, it didn't seem like Payton was trying to run away or disobey, so with a mildly amused tilt to her lips she followed.

Elspeth closed her eyes as she listened, a small sigh escaping her lips. That kind of simple and unconditional kindness... Would only get one more hurt in this carnival. But she couldn't bring herself to try and open Payton's eyes to the harsh reality here. Maybe just a little longer. She heard Payton rip off a piece of her dress, the young girl then trying to wipe and clean the blood off Aveline's face. "Be careful, sweetling. Don't wipe or press too much near Miss Aveline's eyes." That would worsen the bleeding or agitate the cuts. In the end, the reclusive woman tilted her head and started to guide or advise Payton on cleaning up for Aveline. She reached out, gently guiding Payton's hand around Aveline's cheeks. "Alright, now Meric is going to apply new bandages for her." She paused, waiting for Meric to finish redressing the girl's wounds.

She couldn't say she really supported Aveline's ventures. Elspeth had been ordered by the Ringmaster a few times in the past already to use his given gifts to try and restrain the angel, but nothing could seem to break her spirit. In a way, Elspeth respected that, even though she herself had already given up on trying to rebel. She also knew Meric supported any attempts at freedom, only for his will to often be suppressed by the Ringmaster. It often felt like that man was too many steps ahead of anyone to really outwit him.

Meric

((Sorry, but for some reason I don't have the tools to allow me to make my post look pretty enough for your eyes. ;) ))

"Once you're done... I've one more favor to ask you. Do you think you could find my clothes? I've no clue where they are since I'm not the one who put them away last and I've no way to find them..."

"Of course, Aveline...of course." Lost in his thoughts, her second request jolted him awake. Meric looked up at their reflection with a heavy heart before turning to search for her costume. But, before he could take a step, a tiny blur of light colored fur passed over his feet before he could blink.

"My mommy told me that its not good to let booboo's bleed. I dont have any band-aids though."

Stepping back, Meric frowned at the little wolf's actions, almost physically wanting to move the girl away in order to protect Aveline. But, he held himself back and took a deep breath. There is no threat here; the little girl just wanted to help. The darkness inside of the Magician shrank back inside its cage as he watched how the girl was so careful as to not hurt his friend and soon he was grinning again. It seems this new group of performers gave him other reasons to smile - that is a very difficult trick.

"No....no apologies," Meric nodded at the little girl's apology for bumping into him. "You're doing a very good job taking care of her. I appreciate that."

Watching silently, Elspeth stepped forward to help the girl further, teaching her how to help by guiding her hand. It tore him up in so many ways, for this sort of interaction between newcomers and veterans never happens on the first day - not when the thin line of trust was so delicate and vulnerable. Such a think was just too difficult to build when waking up for the first time to find yourself damaged and altered against your will. You don't have a clue who to trust....

"Alright, now Meric is going to apply new bandages for her." Elspeth pulled the little wolf back to allow Meric his place once again.

"Thank you, Elspeth," Meric nodded before turning back to Aveline. Once he had completed his work, taking a deep breath, he turned to search for her costume, checking on the others before doing so.

The sounds of the separate showers could be heard, roaring in his ears as he walked down the tented hall between them. The steam engulfed his form, soaking his suit quicker than he cared. "Alright, we've only have forty-five minutes to shower and dress... Good thing we're not to be in full make-up today too, yes? Just costumes for now - to insure their fit. Make quick, everyone! Time is of the essence!"

Returning to the costume area, Meric found Aveline's clothing and grabbed himself a new coat. He returned to her side, he hung his new coat up and placed her attire on the make-up table before her, before removing his slightly damped coattails. "I found your dragonfly costume. I...hope you don't mind; it always looks nice on you." He wanted to express his liking to that costume, for it brought out the color of Aveline's eyes... In memory, he wanted to see her in it again.

Dropping his coat to the side, Meric rolled up his sleeves, trying to take a moment to relax as he waited for the others to finish up. Blushing slightly, he lost his typical cool, controlled behavior and kneel beside Aveline's chair. "Do...you wish for me to call for one of the ladies to help you? Ever or Morticia should be available right now."

• Love
(Ooc: Will be a short one, just to make things move a bit till you say shower is done :3)

Orianna James

She had no choice. Once Tennen went away and out of sight, she growled in frustration and got up. They better not do anything to him. She wouldn't be able to handle that. Whatever would she do without his constant support. Though now, she had to be strong. She followed other girls in the room. They all unwillingly stood in the line and she stood the last, doing her best not to stand out but frankly, two damn horns that were stuck on her forehead made it close to impossible. Deep in her mind, she still thought about all the different possibilities of escape, but none of them seemed to be the perfect one in the end. She was certain she wouldn't give up as easily. She had no will to say anything. If she did, she would most likely assaulted anyone around and even she knew it wasn't such a good idea at all. The bloodied figure of a girl with wings caught her eye briefly and she shivered. What kind of monster would do such a thing and what kind of person would enjoy it? It only made her even more mad and desperate but she would be damned if she let it show as easy.

The shower tent was nothing special, but at least it was clean. For the first time she felt grateful for something. It was at least to be praised that they thought that clean means important. The girls entered the showers and for the moment, she felt uncomfortable about taking her clothes off, but her body pleaded for a nice shower. After a mild hesitation, she stripped her ruined clothes and tossed them aside. Only then did she notice a big black smudge on the left side of her body. Why wasn't she surprised at all? She sighed and rubbed it. It wouldn't come off. She swore under her breath and stepped under the shower, making the best out of it while she could. Whatever was about to happen next was beyond her. "Alright, we've only have forty-five minutes to shower and dress... Good thing we're not to be in full make-up today too, yes? Just costumes for now - to insure their fit. Make quick, everyone! Time is of the essence!" Costumes? It was a real legitimate freak show? It made her shiver even though the shower water was warm and relaxing. She prolonged her shower for that, as much as she possibly could.

Tennen James

"Well now this ain't as bad as it seemed now is it?" He chuckled lightly to none of the guys in particular. He was always a talkative one that made the best out of every crappy situation he found himself in. Even though he was still trying to figure what on earth was going on and who the hell came up with such idea, he tended to take one step at a time. first things first. Feeling better about himself by taking a shower. Even though the overall mood was grim and depressive, he took his clothes, whistling somewhat happily. As obviously, none of them was in the mood to quite have a deep conversation while being exposed in front of a complete bunch of strangers, god knows where in the arms of the crazy scientist of some sort, he simply stick to himself, rubbing the floor dirt of his muscular arms. His good mood served to cover up the deep thinking about what to do next. As a kid, he was well trained in martial arts and they always taught him how to deal with stressful situations in life. This was probably one of the most stressful ones that would ever occur. What were the odds even?

As he rubbed his chests, he caught a small piece of metal armor and it bled. Tennen frowned. It wasn't just glued or attached some other way to his skin. It WAS his skin. Whatever it was that the crazy scientist did, scarred them for life and judging by the unsatisfied glares, he was aware they all thought alike. "Convenient." He mumbled and pushed the piece back. It burned like all hells, but he didn't make a sound. By all means he was strong both mentally and physically. The male voice suddenly echoed through the shower tent. "Alright, we've only have forty-five minutes to shower and dress... Good thing we're not to be in full make-up today too, yes? Just costumes for now - to insure their fit. Make quick, everyone! Time is of the essence!" Why would he be in such a hurry, was beyond him, but showering under thirty minutes was something he was pro at. When you live with your sister for a while, you get used to it. She can stay as much as you want and you, not so much. He wondered what kind of "costume" they meant for him. He was already wrapped up a great deal into a metal armor. Only pants would be enough. He simply hoped they wouldn't be all too silly.​

• Love
Marrose

Under the heated water, Marrose shivered with discomfort and displeasure. For the first time, she was able to see all the damage done to her by the mad man that's claimed her as his show toys. She was truly a living marionette; almost wooden-like in structure, but her skin still felt smooth and fleshy. The dried blood washed away to reveal the construction of her joints. That's when her tears began to flow - she looked as if the Ringmaster chopped off her limbs, then reconstructed them by joining them with wooden pegs and rods. It was a hideous sight and before she could completely finish her washing, Marrose suddenly lost her balance and toppled over onto the slippery concrete floor.

In a heap of limbs, she cried - more from her discovery than her painful fall, and tried her hardest to calm herself. The tears weren't going to fix anything, but this...this was just too much for her. She wanted out! She wanted her body back the way it was! She wanted to find the man responsible and beat him within an inch of his life for putting them all through such...

"Alright, we've only have forty-five minutes to shower and dress... Good thing we're not to be in full make-up today too, yes? Just costumes for now - to insure their fit. Make quick, everyone! Time is of the essence!"

Calming herself the best she could, Marrose tried to stand back up, but every move she made to stand, the soapy wet floor laughed at her progress and forced her back down. It was embarrassing and painful, but she wasn't going to give up.

• Love
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy
Morticia watched the girls take their shower, her smile never leaving her face as she did so. She find all of them interesting and fun to play with, although she knew that they'll hate her for doing so. The ring master is quite energetic when it comes to play time and Morticia's certain that some of the girls will die in no time.

"My what a shame~" she cooed and giggled, imagining the training that will be held today. There will be blood splatters everywhere and limbs flying off left and right which greatly excites her but somewhat horrifies her. Being in the circus for so long drives her crazy but where else can she go? The carnival is the only place she knew that will accept her for who she is, and the ring master her only father. Of course there are times that she hates the Ring master to death but she always remember that she should be grateful that she's alive. Oh wait, should she be grateful or would prefer herself dead?

Giggling even more, Morticia heard the melodious of Meric ordering and reminding them that there are less than forty five minutes to get themselves dressed and ready. "Alright everyone!! You heard the man~ Quickly out of the showers~~" Morticia ordered and grinned, seeing a girl struggling to stand up and a girl taking her sweet time to wash herself.

Approaching the two, she gave them a Cheshire grin, pulling the stumbling girl gently up to her feet before talking to the other girl "You can shower again later dearie but for now try to put on some costumes. Ring master won't be happy if you dare to disobey him. Ahh~ what fun torture will he give you~" she cooed and gently took the Marionette's hands to guide her back to the tent.

Morticia isn't the kind of girl to go all softy with the newbies but seeing the Marionette made her remember her past. She was just like her back then: in pain, confused and unable to comprehend everything. She can also relate to her body condition. While the marionette's body is like a puppet, Morticia's is like a rag doll with stitches all over the place.

Arriving at the tent, Morticia gave the poor girl its costume and grabbed her favorite black dress and top hat before changing her clothes. Her costume never changes as shows go by. People always see her wearing a black dress with black roses and a top hat, nothing more, nothing less.

"Alright love. Do you need any help putting your costume on?~" Morticia asked the Marionette after she finished changing her clothes, the smile on her pale and stitched face never faltering.

Marrose

"Alright everyone!! You heard the man~ Quickly out of the showers~~"

Marrose looked up to find the strange rag doll woman step forward, rushing them to hurry up while at the same time giggling at their misfortune. After being put in her place the first time by this person, Marrose kept her mouth closed, even when she stepped towards her and began to help her to her feet while talking to the girl who was washing beside her. She couldn't tell what she was altered into, but it was clear that she was just as angry and frustrated as everyone else - or more so.

"You can shower again later dearie but for now try to put on some costumes. Ring master won't be happy if you dare to disobey him. Ahh~ what fun torture will he give you~" she cooed and gently took Marrose's hands to guide her back to the tent.

Holding onto the towel now wrapped around her bare body, Marrose tried her best to keep up with the woman. Her conflicting attitude threw her off - she had to speak her peace. "How can you talk about how fun torturing us will be, when it's quite obvious you've been in our shoes before."

They entered the costume tent where the man with the coat tail was caring for the woman with wings. Marrose was escorted to an area where there were tons of colorful costumes of all kinds hanging in layers from floor to the top of the tent - three rows of beautiful attire that she would of been mesmerized over if she wasn't so frightened and sick with pain. The woman handed her a costume that looked more like a Harlequin, then she began to change into her own costume. Marrose sat and frowned at the pretty piece she was meant to wear.

"Alright love. Do you need any help putting your costume on?~"

Marrose ignored her question. "Aren't you angry and disgusted at what this Ringmaster has done to you...to us?" Her eyes begged for understanding, an explanation, something to give her any hope to believe in... Looking at the woman full of smiles and grins, Marrose wanted to believe that she wasn't as cold-hearted as she appeared to be... She wanted to believe that she had answers and solutions that she's too naieve in this twisted world to know about yet. Suddenly, Marrose's heart sunk, "Is it because...there's no way out?"

• Love
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy

Elspeth
Leading the little girl into the shower tent, the teal-haired woman glanced down at her charge. She felt a pang of concern once again, seeing the wolf ears on the girl's head twitch and swivel around in the direction of any sound. Hearing louder noises with her new ears must have been painful, not even adding the pain of something foreign being transplanted on her body. Elspeth could also see Payton's tail, having heard the girl's earlier whimpers of discomfort. That would hurt the little girl every time she would try to sit down, for quite a long time until she would grow used to the feeling and the pain would become a dull ebb.

She set her hand on top of Payton's head, carefully avoiding brushing the tender area around and on the wolf ears. Tenderly ruffling the girl's hair, she smiled. She could only try to look as reassuring as she could, and numb any pain as best as she could with what she had. Elspeth hadn't felt this motivated to use her powers in a while. Taking a careful once-over of Payton's appearance, she smiled a little wider. She hadn't been lying when she told Payton she was very pretty. Golden eyes glazed over slightly for a second, almost seeing into what could have been for the girl. How beautiful she would be, hale and hearty as a young lady, her life simple and unburdened by the pains of the Ringmaster's whims.

Elspeth could see that young woman in Payton now, the young woman that could have and would have been Payton given years to blossom. Silver-white hair like silk flowing to the girl's small waist, her innocent and lovely face still keeping that warm smile that would surely draw the eye of anyone. A lighthearted voice meant to laugh and please others by its mere sweet sound. Surely she would be loveliest in a dress of white or sky blue, pure and untainted.

For a moment, she was stricken with an unbearable sense of grief. I... See myself in her or what she could have been... Hadn't she also been a girl who used to smile so brightly like that? Elspeth had been the beauty of her town, sweet-natured and sweet-voiced, able to take joy in simple things. She had been born to a family with old money, which should have made her spoiled due to all the attention, gifts and education she received. And she may have been spoiled sweet, but she had been a little girl like Payton once.

She bit her lip and took a deep breath, relieved that it didn't stutter or hitch. Elspeth could feel Noir's concerned gaze on her face, and she shook her head, hissing out a soft command that made him look at her reproachfully before he slithered off her other arm and put distance between himself and Payton. She didn't want to make Payton uneasy. "I'll be careful with your ears and tail, alright, Payton?" She spoke softly, addressing Payton by her name and crouching down a little to meet her eyes. "The shower will be warm and you'll be clean in no time. Don't worry about anything. Now let's get you out of those clothes, you'll get new ones after."

There were sounds from around the shower tent. Growling from one area, likely from the girl that had been altered to be more 'draconic'. Then there were soft sobs coming over from one shower stall, barely audible under the pattering of the water onto tile... The marionette girl. It looked like she had finally just seen the full extent of how the Ringmaster had warped her body. That horrible moment of realization that you would never get your old self back... But that wasn't her concern. Elspeth focused on the young girl she was taking care of, and steeled herself for what could happen.

The snake mistress tried to be as gentle as she could as she discarded the already damaged clothing from the girl, trying to make her touch as light as possible and whispering soft assurances in a compelling voice if she thought she hurt Payton in any way. Once the dress was discarded, she looked at Payton with a smile. "You can get in now. I'll have to take my own dress off, then I can help you." She knew it would be painful, the shower drops seeming like rocks being thrown against aching, tender skin or newly added parts. They had forty-five minutes to clean her up and get her dressed, so Elspeth was planning on making the most of it to help Payton ease into her new life.

After stripping off her costume, unabashed about the way the white scales partially covering her back shone eerily under the light, the woman stepped into the shower, helping Payton wash herself. She was careful with washing her hair, but quick about it and apologizing again and again if she accidentally brushed too near her ears. Avoiding her tail was easier, and after they were done she patted Payton over with a towel.

Then she took the girl to get her costume. She held out the dress in front of Payton, quirking her lips in a more subdued smile than earlier. "Let's get you into this. You'll look adorable, I just know it."

Last edited:
((OMG!! Sorry it took me so long! I never got any alerts until today. I'm soooooo sorry >.<))​

~Aveline~

She felt a slight shock when she felt unfamiliar hands on her face. Her first instinct was to panic, since she couldn't see who it was or recognize the touch, but once she heard the little girl's voice, she relaxed. "It's alright, little one." She said softly, a smile on her lips. "This will do nicely. Thank you." Never before had new comers been so kind to her or any of the veterans for that matter, usually fearing them. She could feel small hands on her wings and she unfurled them slightly so that the girl could have better access to pet her wings if she wished.

Soon though she heard Elspeth speak along with Meric and the gentle touch disappeared. So, she tucked her wings against her back once more, wincing slightly as she felt a knot in one of them. She'd have to work that out later. She could feel the familiarity of the bandages covering her eyes and she almost wanted to sigh with relief. True, she didn't know what they looked like, but she could only guess that they weren't a pretty sight to see so she was always a little nervous when the bandages had to be changed. "Thank you." She told them all for their help in taking care of her eyes. She quite enjoyed it when they all came together like this. It was rare and she liked the feeling quite a lot.

"My dragonfly costume?" She repeated, searching her memory for the image of that particular outfit. "Oh, the pretty blue one, correct?" She had a feeling on why he liked that one so much, but she kept the knowledge to herself. She knew that the shade of blue in the costume almost exactly matched her eyes before the Ring Master took them from her. "Since you like it so much, I shall be happy to wear it." She chimed, smile lighting up her face.

At his question, her smile widened. She could tell he was at least a little flustered just from the sound of his voice. "No thank you. I think I can manage getting dressed." She told him, carefully climbing to her feet and taking the costume.

For a few moments she disappeared into the changing rooms, her hand on the wall to guide her steps even if she knew the way. She had to keep up appearances after all. It was a few minutes later that she returned. She wore pale blue leggings that covered the pale skin of her legs and prevented anyone seeing up the small dress that she word. . A small skirt was about her waist, a slightly deeper shade of blue than the leggings. The skirt was attached to a skin tight off the shoulder top. Small light green leaf patterns traced about the dress and sitting on the left side was the image of a dragonfly in flight. "So, do I look alright? Did I get it right?" She asked, letting go of the wall for a moment to do a small spin for them. She was a little worried that she may have misread the neckline and put it on backwards.

Taking a few shaky steps, she settled herself back in the chair. "Meric, I'm sorry to keep asking things of you, but you know you're my closest companion." She said with a smile. "But do you think you could pull my hair into a high ponytail?" She could feel the tangled curls brushing against her back when she changed and she thought that her black locks must have looked horrible.

Reactions: Phi Chisym
Status
Not open for further replies.