FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences

|| Interest Check || OOC || Lore || Sign Ups || IC ||

OOC Chatter

Please use this thread for all OOC chatter for now. Any OOC chatter in any other thread will be deleted.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Take a look at the Lore section for a rundown of important information pertaining to this plot.

Last edited:
Yay! A thing!

I've harassed you enough with all my questions! Just wanted to say hi to everybody thinking of joining!

*Falls in through the floor. Smashes through the skylight. Shoots a portal back to the floor. Shoots another at the moon. Utilizes the sudden atmospheric pressure change to gradually slow and change vector through portal spamming. Arrives safely back to roof.*

Hello! If a ladder survived that, please set one up for me!

I do have a question: to clarify, are the characters meant to be on one side of the war or the other, or are we a part of the rebellion split off team? A mix?

Last edited:
*Falls in through the floor. Smashes through the skylight. Shoots a portal back to the floor. Shoots another at the moon. Utilizes the sudden atmospheric pressure change to gradually slow and change vector through portal spamming. Arrives safely back to roof.*

I do have a question: to clarify, are the characters meant to be on one side of the war or the other, or are we a part of the rebellion split off team? A mix?
If your character has an inclination towards a faction, that's up to you, but at the start your character will need to be willing to go on the journey to try to stop the war. Or have their own reason for going. But they need to want to go find the artifacts once that part of the plot is presented. Otherwise I'm unsure of how to tie in your character to the rest of the plot.

If your character has an inclination towards a faction, that's up to you, but at the start your character will need to be willing to go on the journey to try to stop the war. Or have their own reason for going. But they need to want to go find the artifacts once that part of the plot is presented. Otherwise I'm unsure of how to tie in your character to the rest of the plot.
Perfect! Thank you!

OOC TIME! I am so excited. I've asked a lot of my questions over DM and probably will continue to do so if I have more. Chances are there will be more.

• This Gives Me Plot Bunnies
Reactions: Effervescent

abberant-vault-meme-1.jpg

abberant-vault-meme-1.jpg

But where's Waethrin?

Is there a level of spell between Scroll and Tome complexity? So like... "Pamphlet", or "Novella" to stay on brand with the literary name scheme lol? Or would a Scribe simple use a Scroll and write just a longer spell?

Is there a level of spell between Scroll and Tome complexity? So like... "Pamphlet", or "Novella" to stay on brand with the literary name scheme lol? Or would a Scribe simple use a Scroll and write just a longer spell?
There are tiers. Books are the most complex spells in existence. They contain individual spells that also can work together for the complex spell. Scrolls are just individual spells and can vary in power, but the big spell the book is made for will always be more powerful than any one scroll. The way a book is bound is the reason why those spells can work together. It's also why books take so long to make because one line in a spell can throw off the whole book. Books are typically made with the complex spell in mind.

For example, the Ambrose Tome, made by Nemiah Toul, contains various individual spells that all come together to make a spell that can heal all wounds. So inside are typical healing spells, and then some not-so-typical healing spells. She's very private about her book.

Another example is the Book of Many Worlds, which doesn't exist yet in this timeline. It's made by a future Scribe who discovers a new Flourish and spell focus that allows for teleportation and displacement. The little spells that allow him to teleport short or great distances, or have random object appear, etc, all come together for the big complex spell that can open up a portal to anywhere the Scribe can think of.

So a Scroll would only have one spell, whereas a book would have hundreds. The length of a spell is more determined by its complexity and power. Scrolls can have simple, short spells, or long, powerful spells. The reason why scrolls aren't used for the spells that books are used for is two fold: one being that the scroll would be GIGANTIC in size and you'd never be able to access the full script without telling everyone to hang on while you carefully unscroll the parchment, but the biggest reason is spells that are really that complex require multiple individual spells to combine and utilize the book binding process to bind the script together while still maintaining the integrity of the individual spells.

• Sympathy & Compassion
The reason why scrolls aren't used for the spells that books are used for is two fold: one being that the scroll would be GIGANTIC in size and you'd never be able to access the full script without telling everyone to hang on while you carefully unscroll the parchment

Ok, ok, but consider an arrogant, noble Scribe who forces his/her underlings to heft around and unfurl this needlessly large and ceremonial parchment. Very funny.

spells that are really that complex require multiple individual spells to combine and utilize the book binding process to bind the script together while still maintaining the integrity of the individual spells.
Ok, so I guess then my question is more - is there a gradient in the complexity of tomes? I understand they're for spells too complex or interconnected for a scroll to be practical or the preferred delivery method, but is there such a thing as a spell that would be too complex for a single Scroll but wouldn't be befitting of a capital-T Tome like the 2 you described above?

OR would such a too-complex-for-1-Scroll Spell that's also too-simple-for-a-Tome just be written across 2+ Scrolls instead and there is some mechanism by which you can link them independently of having to put them in a Tome?

The reason why scrolls aren't used for the spells that books are used for is two fold: one being that the scroll would be GIGANTIC in size and you'd never be able to access the full script without telling everyone to hang on while you carefully unscroll the parchment

Ok, ok, but consider an arrogant, noble Scribe who forces his/her underlings to heft around and unfurl this needlessly large and ceremonial parchment. Very funny.
That would be very funny LOL

spells that are really that complex require multiple individual spells to combine and utilize the book binding process to bind the script together while still maintaining the integrity of the individual spells.
Ok, so I guess then my question is more - is there a gradient in the complexity of tomes? I understand they're for spells too complex or interconnected for a scroll to be practical or the preferred delivery method, but is there such a thing as a spell that would be too complex for a single Scroll but wouldn't be befitting of a capital-T Tome like the 2 you described above?

OR would such a too-complex-for-1-Scroll Spell that's also too-simple-for-a-Tome just be written across 2+ Scrolls instead and there is some mechanism by which you can link them independently of having to put them in a Tome?
Tomes will always be a spell that requires a multitude of "lesser" spells, thereby making books the most complex spells. To say one books is more complicated of a spell than another is apples to oranges. I don't feel there's a way to quantify that, even within focuses. The Ambrose Tome can potentially heal all wounds (in theory). Is that less or more than a book that can open up portals to anywhere? Is it less or more complex than a book that can can make whatever the mind can think?

One spell cannot be written across two scrolls. It can only be written across one. Think of these like the basic spells you'd get when playing a game or D&D. These spells won't need a whole tome to make it work, they just need either a little bit of paper, or a lot of paper. But they'll never be gigantic as these spells are condensed enough to be contained on a singular scroll.

To think up of a spell that would be worthy of making a tome, the first indication is "is this spell too OP?" If it's OP, probably needs to be a tome. Then what regular spells would go into that OP spell? You start building up that tome based on what you think would help make that OP spell make sense.

Reactions: ze_kraken
That makes sense! I just didn't know if it was like, say, a programming parallel where the more statements and arguments you put into your algorithm (spell) the more complex/long it is, and thus the more likely it would need a book. And then it would follow longer/more complex spells that take up more pages with more lines of code (script) would be viewed as "more complex" spells/Tomes.

Last question (promise), just to see if I grasp the concept. I'll use healing as an example -

Sealing skin from a cut = short scroll, possibly fragment of paper

Fully healing a superficial, non life threatening injury = scroll

Fully healing a superficial, non life threatening injury with no scar OR healing a serious wound = likely more complex scroll, but not a Tome

Fully healing any injury even to the point of being on the brink of death = Tome as outlined above

Yes! That's a good understanding of it!

Also, I'm very unfamiliar with programming, so I do apologize for those parallels that made this all confusing! This whole concept came from a mind of an artist, so more like "oh that's cool!"

I'm wondering how scrolls are held in battle. I assume It should be held with one hand so the other is free for flourishes. Sorta like this::

woman-holding-scroll-27456911.jpg

I'm wondering how scrolls are held in battle. I assume It should be held with one hand so the other is free for flourishes. Sorta like this::

woman-holding-scroll-27456911.jpg

With that exact expression and the thumbs up.

With that exact expression and the thumbs up.
Charging into battle, the scribe unleashed her spell of mild approval onto her allies. It wouldn't do much to heal their battle wounds, but they would feel better on the inside.

Alas, she accidentally grabbed the wrong scroll. She stood there with a blank stare as she held an equally blank scroll for all to see. The scribe flourished her hand in a thumbs up, as if this was part of the spell. She prayed there would be some sort of placebo effect: laughter was said to be the best medicine.

Meanwhile, their enemies closed in around them.

• Haha
Reactions: Elle Joyner
I'm dying!

So yes, no floating scrolls or books. They gotta hold it with one hand, and flourishes are done with their other hand.

A lot of scribes have it where the scrolls are attached to a belt, and the scroll's casing has a loop where they can hook a finger through and quickly pull out the spell.

Battle scribes could have a bandolier of smaller scrolls alongside larger ones at their sides. They just have to memorize how they organized their spells so they do the right flourish.

I'm dying!

So yes, no floating scrolls or books. They gotta hold it with one hand, and flourishes are done with their other hand.

A lot of scribes have it where the scrolls are attached to a belt, and the scroll's casing has a loop where they can hook a finger through and quickly pull out the spell.

Battle scribes could have a bandolier of smaller scrolls alongside larger ones at their sides. They just have to memorize how they organized their spells so they do the right flourish.
I need this acted out in Avatar the Last Airbender style animation, please.