Spring/Easter PSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the US. You can imagine corporations taking it to a new level, lol. I don't have a problem with people doing their thing, I just don't want the religious significance to be erased by those who celebrate.
Yea, I can get that. :P
Just figured you'd like to know some areas still remember it.
BUT. This is off topic I think. PROTECT THE BUNNIES.

:applause:
Or eat them! >:3

• Thank You
Reactions: moffnat
@Kaga-kun So why not wait until it's all on sale and then buy it? Keep the savings for your future, or have more bang for your buck? :ferret:

@Kaga-kun So why not wait until it's all on sale and then buy it? Keep the savings for your future, or have more bang for your buck? :ferret:
Because as a kid it wasn't my money being spent, it was my parents'. And my parents knew that the answer of "we're saving money for your future" wouldn't be nearly as enticing to a kid.

"Waiting till it's on sale"? Maybe. But if you're young enough that you still believe in the Easter Bunny and you're waiting to see what the Easter Bunny brought you, then that answer doesn't really work. :P

Like I said, it's just a fun thing that parents do for their kids. I totally understand that your way of doing things is more economical and I don't blame you for it -- but, at the same time, I can't blame people for buying into consumerized traditions like that of Easter and Christmas when it means spending a little extra money to do something special for the people you care about.

All I'm saying is that the people who buy into these things aren't all blind sheep who are spending money because they've been brainwashed by the media and big business. Many of them are people who do understand how over-commercialized these holidays are, and perhaps even dislike that over-commercialized nature on some level, but participate in these money-spending traditions anyway because we like giving things to our friends/family, as well as doing special things that people don't normally do on other days of the year, because it's fun. But, you know, like I said -- I totally understand your way of doing things. I just wanted to chime in from the other end of it. You said that these traditions seemed nonsensical and you didn't understand why people did them -- so I offered a reason.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Because as a kid it wasn't my money being spent, it was my parents'. And my parents knew that the answer of "we're saving money for your future" wouldn't be nearly as enticing to a kid.

"Waiting till it's on sale"? Maybe. But if you're young enough that you still believe in the Easter Bunny and you're waiting to see what the Easter Bunny brought you, then that answer doesn't really work. :P

Like I said, it's just a fun thing that parents do for their kids. I totally understand that your way of doing things is more economical and I don't blame you for it -- but, at the same time, I can't blame people for buying into consumerized traditions like that of Easter and Christmas when it means spending a little extra money to do something special for the people you care about.

All I'm saying is that the people who buy into these things aren't all blind sheep who are spending money because they've been brainwashed by the media and big business. Many of them are people who do understand how over-commercialized these holidays are, and perhaps even dislike that over-commercialized nature on some level, but participate in these money-spending traditions anyway because we like giving things to our friends/family, as well as doing special things that people don't normally do on other days of the year, because it's fun. But, you know, like I said -- I totally understand your way of doing things. I just wanted to chime in from the other end of it. You said that these traditions seemed nonsensical and you didn't understand why people did them -- so I offered a reason.
+There's national holidays.

It's a lot easier to get a day off to see your family on easter weekend than it is the weekend after.

+There's national holidays.

It's a lot easier to get a day off to see your family on easter weekend than it is the weekend after.
I don't think Brovo was arguing with the existence of these traditions themselves as much as the commercialized traditions of buying Christmas gifts and Easter candy.

I don't think Brovo was arguing with the existence of these traditions themselves as much as the commercialized traditions of buying Christmas gifts and Easter candy.
But it does play into it.
If you intend to celebrate it on the holiday itself due to time off you can't take advantage of sales and are forced to buy it during the craze.

But it does play into it.
If you intend to celebrate it on the holiday itself due to time off you can't take advantage of sales and are forced to buy it during the craze.
But I think Brovo's point was that he doesn't understand why people buy these things at all -- regardless of whether it's way ahead of time or the day of. So... yeah, I don't think I see where you're taking this.

But I think Brovo's point was that he doesn't understand why people buy these things at all -- regardless of whether it's way ahead of time or the day of. So... yeah, I don't think I see where you're taking this.
He agreed to buying it afterwards, hence the cheap on sale chocolate bit.
Which leads the confusion to before said sales, which is why I was noting you don't got the option to wait for sales if you intend to celebrate on the Holiday. Which many people will if for nothing more than ability to have everyone be off of work.

BUY CHOCOLATE, LOVE JESUS, SAVE BUNNIES, THE END.

BUY CHOCOLATE, LOVE JESUS, SAVE BUNNIES, THE END.
The over analysis is real. Just wait until after the holiday and buy it when it's cheap to save oodles of money. Also be a rational shopper, don't buy living things as casual gifts.

Also fuck fake grass.

The end.

• Thank You
On the other hand, sometimes I wonder if I can't really complain. Ramadan and Passover and so many other religious holidays are looked over without a blink, and those who don't celebrate Christmas or Easter must be frustrated with constantly having it in their faces. Idk man, I just don't want people to make my faith's holiday about chocolate and bunnies and wash away the incredible significance of what it means.

/real endrant
I'm eclectic pagan and I will admit that sometimes I get a bit annoyed with "popular" holidays. Example: "Easter" (the word) was taken from Eostre/Eastre of the Dawn and falls in accordance with the spring Solstice (first full moon after the Spring Equinox). Most people don't know that. I'm not trying to start shit and claim that holidays were stolen or anything like that-- I just wish more people would be aware of other holidays, not just the ones they celebrate.

Thank you for acknowledging them. :D

• Bucket of Rainbows
I'm eclectic pagan and I will admit that sometimes I get a bit annoyed with "popular" holidays. Example: "Easter" (the word) was taken from Eostre/Eastre of the Dawn and falls in accordance with the spring Solstice (first full moon after the Spring Equinox). Most people don't know that. I'm not trying to start shit and claim that holidays were stolen or anything like that-- I just wish more people would be aware of other holidays, not just the ones they celebrate.

Thank you for acknowledging them. :D

YO, PAGAN FRIEND. Our holidays got so messed up by the religions trying to out-do each other, I think. It's so stupid. But yes, always acknowledge the importance of people's religious celebrations <3 they're important to those who practice!!

• Thank You
Reactions: kixinorbit
Status
Not open for further replies.