SPPA Chronicles (Sarre & Nix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xyne smiled. "You'l be fine. Ash likes you, so that is a big bonus in your favor." He didn't really get the whole partnership those two had. Mostly because they had originally been stationed somewhere else. But he really didn't mind either of them.

"So, I followed him down that way, then through about half a dozen little alley's before I lost him."

"Well... there's a blood trail," Eleanor pointed out. "But if he went eastwards this way, I'm going to venture a guess that, after he lost you in the alleys, he went for the water to make him harder to track. If we scoured along the edge of the sea, we could maybe find where he got out, but that's the sort of job that an entire team of people would do. Not two," she said. "And there's the possibility that the water is where he patched up."

She shook her head and sighed. "I hate to quit so early, but if there's no rain on the forecast, I think it would be more productive to go for other leads. The public will definitely see the blood tomorrow, and some enthusiast with too much time might just track it for us."

"That makes sense. I'll see who's free tomorrow and call them to help us look." His phone buzzed then, and he scowled at the message. "The Commander is at headquarters... She sent out a mass text for everyone to report in there. You should probably go and do that." Xyne had absolutely no intention of doing so, as he had already been there, and he still needed to talk to Shena.

Still, he would be a pretty rotten person to intentionally get Eleanor into trouble. It really needed to be her choice.

Her own phone had buzzed too. Eleanor glanced at the screen and confirmed the message. "What about you?" she asked. Then she looked up at him, saw his expression, and murmured a quick, "nevermind."

There wasn't a single scrap of detail in the message, just the order. "It says no exceptions," she murmured. "I guess I'd better go, even if you don't."

"I won't stop you. If she yells, tell her the truth, I went to see if Shena saw anything before the explosion." In a way he was thankful that she understood, but he also understood she was still new. "Remember me telling you that I am not really conventional? This is one of those times where I am going to do what I feel is important. But, don't let her yell at you. It's not your job to keep me in line." He nodded once and started back the way they had come.

For his part, Kira was leaning against a car, watching as the Commander tried to take over for Cass, which was like watching a three year old try to teach a class in physics, at least in his opinion. Honestly he wondered how long it would be before someone slipped and told her Ash used her talent. Then she would try to yell at Ash, and he would have an excellent excuse to yell back.

"Got it," Eleanor said, though she felt the doom as soon as the possibility of yelling was mentioned. Still, she wasted no time in getting back.

She arrived back at the broken office quickly. They hadn't gone too far, and she knew the road. They'd just been walking back and forth, after all. She scoured the crowd for a familiar face, saw none, and just shuffled into the loose circle. She wasn't the only one that wasn't in uniform, which was good. A few seemed drowsy - probably pulled from their beds. She only saw Kira after she was in, at the opposite side of the circle, and offered him a little smile.

Cass was standing off the the side, looking almost irritated, as half of what the Commander was saying was simply a repeat of things that were either already done or that Cass had already mentioned. It was definitely not a good feeling to work hard and then be ignored.

Kira smiled brightly back, completely ignoring the commander, and made a subtle motion for Eleanor to join him, unfortunately, the commander caught her first.

"Officer Baker! Where exactly is Captain Tristis? Why isn't he here with you?" Her words were harsh and frankly very rude.

"Headed to the hospital, Ma'am," Eleanor said, her voice crisp and professional; distant and faked. "He wanted to question Shena and others."

Captain Tristis hadn't been kidding about the yelling. Her mood was sour, and her eyes seemed a little bloodshot - but perhaps that was the lighting. Most of it was coming from SPPA car headlights, and a few street lanturns.

Cass opened her mouth but the Commander beat her to it. "Hospital! I need him here with everyone else!"

Kira smirked and stepped forward. "He was." He ignored the glare sent his way. "He, along with Baker, Ash and myself were the ones digging people out of the rubble."

"That doesn't mean he can just go off on his own! Why didn't you stop him Baker?"

"To be fair, Ma'am." Surprisingly, it was Cass this time. "I don't think anyone could really stop him. Especially Baker, she's too new." It wasn't an accusation, really, just a fact.

Oh dear god Thank You, she thought quietly. So, this was the woman that had left Cass at a desk and sent Xyne back out to the shifter district. She was getting a clearer impression now. She would have liked to quote Captain Tristis, and snarkily tell her, "It's not my job to keep him in line." The words didn't even make it far enough to get caught in her throat. They simply stayed in her stomach. Stayed there, weighing her down and keeping her planted in the circle wordlessly as the Commander continued to dish out, from officer to officer, angry orders and frustrated insults.

This wasn't the SPPA. This wasn't the peace and the order she'd signed up for. Not under her.

When the rounds of interrogations had finished, she turned and left without a word. Her home wasn't too far, but when she passed an idle driver, she climbed in and cut out the twenty minute stroll for a quick drive.

"No need to go to the front," she murmured to the driver, "Just stop by the road.

She always entered her apartment building from a side door, just because it was closer to the stairwell. Living on the second floor, in the corner room, she didn't need to bother with elevators. When she swung open open the black, metal, door, she froze.

The smell of shifters, not unpleasant but very distinct, came from their blood. Usually it was faint. Most shifters had at least a few scabs on them at any given moment. The transformations could be painful, and often pulled bits of skin apart. This time, it wasn't faint. A fat trail of it was matted on the linoleum floors. God damn it. If anyone else saw this --

Moving in a sort of a panic, she rifled through her pockets until she found a handful of crumpled napkins. She dropped them on the floor and used a foot to kick them around. It simply smeared it.

Wait, there was the outdoor hose. She flew back out, found it, and unhooked it in the dim, yellow-lit building lawn. The gardener used it water the shrubs. Now, she took it and gave the stairwell a good hosing. Hopefully the worst of the water would evaporate by tomorow. Better it was slippery with water, not blood.

At first, she was relieved that the blood stopped on the second floor - because the hose wouldn't go any further than that - and then she felt a sense of dread. There was only one place the blood trail could lead. Carefully, she returned the hose, then propping the door open with a rock to let the shifter-infused air out before making her way upstairs, gun in hand.

She pulled her phone out, dialed the SPPA number, but didn't call. The office had enough to deal with. For now, she'd cling to the vague hope that maybe she didn't need it. If the shifter was still bleeding by the time it had gotten here, it would be dizzy and weak.

She took a deep breath before touching her doorknob gently. It was unlocked. She twisted it, then pushed with her fingers, letting the door swing open. She stayed put in the hall, one hand on a gun, aiming forward, and the other on her phone, in case she needed to push that final "send."

At first, she thought she was looking at a transformed werewolf in a suit. The "man," if he could be called that, was covered in grey fur, and dressed simply; a pair of trousers and a buttoned shirt. It must have been custom designed. Tailors flourished wherever there were shifters.

What was clear was that his legs were longer, his face was animal-like, and he had ears pointing backwards. The rabbit ears Xyne had mentioned....

"It's a mix of rabbit and wolf influence, Officer," he said, when he caught her staring, his voice thick with some sort of accent - not a regional one, but a biological one.

"Oh..." Eleanor said.

"I know it's rude to root around other people's cupboards," he rasped, "but I figured it would be worse to keep spilling blood all over everything. I mopped up most of it, I think. I hate the sight of blood."

She looked around on her floors. It was hard to see blood amongst wood, but she could catch bits of it about.

"You forgot the hallways," she said.

"Shit. Ughh.. Shit," he mumbled. He tried to get up, but Eleanor motioned him to sit down. "I took care of it on my way," she told him.

"Oh, thank you," he sighed. "I'm so sorry. Getting injured was not part of the plan."

"Will you be alright?" she said. It was hard not to carry on a conversation with someone that seemed to be acting so amiable.

"More or less. I got the bullets out. I just need to," he winced, "Wait, now." He took a moment, with his eyes squeezed shut, then took a deep breath. "Forget me, I'll be fine. There are more important things." He hobbled out of his seat, towards the box he had discreetly shoved under her table. Watching him walk was painful. "Don't make any sudden movements, Officer," he said, "You'll scare her."

Shit.

The cloth was pulled back. There was a whimper of terror.

Shit.

She stared, then looked away, both out of disgust and out of courtesy.

"I didn't put her in there, if that's what you're wondering," the shifter said. "Nor did I harm her. All that is the work of your interrogation department." He looked down at Yela's wide eyes, then at Eleanor. "She recognises you. Perhaps this time you will help her. I'm supposed to stop you from sending her back if I can; we were going to save her. But I am injured and you have a gun, so I can't. If that's what you decide to do, I'm powerless to stop you."

Last edited by a moderator:
It was foggy the next morning, a thick lingering one that floated through the streets, intermingling with the smoke that still drifted from parts of the office. Ash, had spent most of the night, keeping watch to make sure the fire didn't reignite, mostly due to the way the rubble was. Kira on the other hand, had picked a fight worthy of respect with the commander, keeping her too busy yelling at him to notice Cass quietly, ordering people about, making sure everything got done.

By the time the sun was up, the tally was two dead, nearly 10 injured, three badly, and probably a third of the building ruined. The most interesting thing was, two messengers arriving and silently leaving a note with Cass before leaving as quickly as they came. One was from the Air Coven, the other was from Adrian. both stated that they in no way were involved in the attack, except that the note from the Air Coven stated None of the Covens were involved.

Finally, the Commander sent all of the new officers out to patrol and keep watch over the Eastern and Neutral Districts, tried and failed to send Kira and Ash anywhere, as he insisted on talking to Xyne first, sent Cass on breakfast duty, for herself only, did a basic phone on the injured, sent one Sergeant to the Lycans, and one to the Shifters, and finally planted herself into a chair and started demanding that anyone present repeat what they knew.

Eleanor sent the shifter on his way just before dawn, when the sun was still buried under the horizon, but the sky was painted with a soft violet. The fog was perfect for a discreet escape. They had made a makeshift splint of cardboard and chopsticks for his leg, and coaxed Yela out of the crate and into some slightly baggy clothing and an old coat.

There was nothing left that alluded that anyone had ever been there. The shifter had been careful to keep things as they were, and despite the leg, insisted on helping her scatter and sweep and spray baking soda over the beaten wooden floors and second-hand furniture. Then they'd left the windows and balcony door open all night, and in the morning, she roasted her week's ration of coffee beans early to refresh the rich smell that her neighbours had become so familiar with.

And they talked, of course. She learned that his name was Nate, but he had politely and apologetically refused to give her any information. Instead, they talked about their families, their friends (without names, of course), hobbies - small talk that was revealing enough, but only where it was safe to reveal.

After the coffee, a ride was called, and she saw him out the side door of the building and waited with him until the discreet grey honda appeared, then disappeared again, melting into the fog. Exhaustion was beginning to set in heavily now. Eleanor intended to head for the bed, but then her phone buzzed. Direct from the Commander. The terror of having to face that woman jolted her awake.

Of course, she'd learned to lie smoothly, but how could she lie to colleagues and superiors?

When Cass came back, and after being promptly dismissed again, she wandered over toward Kira who was just tucking his phone away. "I thought you were leaving.."

"Oh, I am. But not right now. I wanted to speak to Xyne first." Kira had his trademark smile, completely ignoring a couple of younger officers giggling in the corner.

Cass rolled her eyes. "I know you are planning something. You usually are... Wait.. where's your other half?" She scanned the room, not catching sight of Ash anywhere.

Kira's smile never wavered. "Oh, she is around here somewhere." He waited a full minute under Cass' unhappy glare before relenting. "The commander tried to send Officer Hivi to find Katelyn. I intercepted the poor girl and sent Ash instead." His partner wasn't scared of Kat the way most of the officers were.

Eleanor hurried to the office quickly, extracting large quantities of physical energy from coffee and fear. Mostly fear. She took a taxi instead of a train and told the driver to take a longer route so she didn't have to retrace last night's journeys again.

On the way, she received two more texts - one from Cass, and another from Kira, that calmed her just a little. She hoped they would be there, or at least Kira. Her relationship with Cass still confused her - it was hard to tell if Cass hated her or not, but Kira had been nothing but warm. She also made a note to apologise for her hurried disappearence last night.

Eleanor had just walked through what remained of the front door when her phone rang - much more than a silent buzz, and it was her personal phone. Not the SPPA tone.

A few officers looked up. She glanced at the screen. Allister... shit. She hesitated for a moment, then cancelled Allister's call. Hurriedly, she sent him a text saying that she was fine but busy, then headed across the rubble and ash towards the untouched Commander's office.

Cass slumped down into her chair. "Oh sweet Lord, I'm tired..." It wasn't just that, she had been feeling sick for the last couple of hours, something she attributed to eating Lil's food. It had been much easier to ignore with the adrenalin pumping, and people relying on her. Now though, all she could think about was laying in her room and practicing dying so that when the time came she would be sure to get it right.

Kira patted her shoulder lightly. "I am certain you will get to leave at some point." Glancing up, his smile grew. "Ah, Eleanor! Good morning." His eyes darted to the door and back, smile remaining firm.

"Hey, Baker." Cass' comment was absent. "She wants to see you right away, she'll yell a lot. Play the innocent rookie card or she'll eat you alive."

"How kind of you to warn her."

"Shut up."

Eleanor offered Cass and Kira a hesitant smile. "Right away... oh dear," she murmured, before stepping to the office door and knocking timidly.

"Who is it?"

"Baker."

"Get in here."

The place was a mess. While the room had been protected, the impact had shaken a few things off the shelves (most seemed to have been put back, though there was broken glass on the floor), and there were papers scattered everywhere.

The woman herself was brimming with an energetic anger - and she looked trangely well-groomed.. She was walking around, looking at papers as if searching for a specific thing. When Eleanor closed the door behind her, she stopped, leaned against her table, and glared at her darkly.

"Where's Xyne?"

"I don't know," she replied. "I thought he would have-"

"Turned up? Yeah. No," she said curtly. "Not taking any calls, not answering any of his texts."

"I'll try to-"

"Don't bother. If he isn't answering me what makes you think he'll answer you? We're completely understaffed right now and barely keeping up with patrols and there isn't even anyone actually investi- wait, you know what, hold that thought."

She opened the door, stepped outside into the office, and announced with a loud, shrill, voice. "Tell everyone that patrols are cancelled until we figure out who the hell had the audacity to bomb our headquarters!"

Then the door was slammed shut again.

Eleanor didn't think that was a good idea, but she didn't dare say anything.

"And where were you last night?"

"Helping to clean up," she said.

"After that."

"I... went home...?"

"Instead of staying to help out?"

"Everything was fine. We got all of the-"

"Oh, I see what this is, Baker. You're trying to insult me for being late."

"No, of course not-"

She was saved by a buzz of the commander's phone. She picked it up, looked at it, and scowled. Then, as if Eleanor wasn't there, she dialled a number. She could tell precisely when the phone was answered, because she began to yell immediately. "What the hell do you mean you couldn't find her? Well you should have knocked harder! Oh, a note. Great. And when is she gonna see that? Oh, and you just called? What have you been doing then? Well look harder! Hello? Ugh, forget it, then."

She slammed the phone down in frustration, then swore loudly as the screen cracked from the corner.

There was a moment of silence, where she continued to seethe, then she looked back up. "Having fun watching the commander break down?" She snarled.

Eleanor blinked. "I'll leave," she offered, moving towards the door.

"Don't even think about it! I'm not done with you!"

The door opened, with no knock or any kind of politeness. Kira had one hand tightly holding the door knob, and a neutral expression on his face. He didn't even wait for the Commander to open her mouth before he spoke, low and oddly cold. "Xyne is here." His tone grew friendlier when to spoke to Eleanor. "Come along, Eleanor, I need to talk to you about your report form last night. Unless.. that's a problem?"

Commander Ersin opened her mouth and was immediately interrupted.

"No problems then? Excellent." The usually pleasant man opened the door a bit more, and caught Eleanor's arm lightly tugging her out of the room, a dark look crossing his face when he glanced back at the commander.

Xyne offered Eleanor a small smile before moving into the room and shutting the door. For one solid minute, there was yelling before it abruptly went silent.

"I hope it wasn't too bad in there for you." Kira smiled again, making a shooing motion to Cass, who actually looked grateful, before planting himself in her chair.

Last edited by a moderator:
"It could have been worse, so much worse," Eleanor muttered, letting out a quiet, sheepish laugh. "Thank you. And I have to thank Tristis for showing up. Remind me never to go awol, lest I incur her wrath."

This was alright. Light banter with friendly colleagues.

She glanced around. The place was strangely crowded, or perhaps it only seemed so because nobody was behind a desk. There weren't desks to be behind. Or, there were, but their surfaces were empty.

The structure of the building seemed remarkably intact, though, just roughened up. The most damage, perhaps, would be in information. Two filing cabinets had been knocked over, and papers scattered everywhere - much of it either ripped, trampled, burned, or fluttering down the streets. She didn't know how much of it was stored digitally.

Chaos... it would be chaos - and somehow she thought it was exactly what Nate and his shifters wanted.

"What now?" she murmured. "Does anyone have leads?"

Kira wave done hand back a forth a bit. "She's an idiot." The words were simple, factual. "Cancelling all the patrols is a stupid idea. Really..." There was a slight creaking sound as he turned to the side a bit, including Cass in the conversation. "It's matter of where one's loyalty is. Is it to a person, the cause, the agency, an ideal? That's something that isn't taught in the training, because it all depends on the person."

"It's not really that simple Kira." Cass countered. "It doesn't matter how loyal someone is to the agency if they get fired for not following orders."

The hand waved again as more yelling erupted from behind the door, once again abruptly ending. "Well, I'm taking a page from Xyne. Not to mention... I'm extremely angry with her right now."

Cass shrugged at Eleanor's question. "Not that I know of. Unless Xyne found something while he was gone, then all we have really is the shifter, at least until Katelyn gets here and we figure our what was taken, and we go through our paperwork and double check everything..."

"Yela Finn. I told Eleanor and Xyne last night. It was after Yela Finn."

Eleanor turned around to see Katelyn ambling towards them. Where they were sitting, they had full view of what was left of the front entrance. Where had she come from? How long had she been there?

"The commander was looking-"

"I know," she said, grinning a bit. "Got a note on my door from Ash when I got home this morning. I was putting it off."

"You got Ash yelled at over the phone," Eleanor muttered.

"And let me guess, I also got you yelled at after she hung up," Katelyn said, sighing. She patted Eleanor lightly on the shoulder. "Sorry about that. If it makes you feel any better, she'll probably be breathing fire when I step through that door, especially when Xyne is through."

Status
Not open for further replies.