SPPA Chronicles (Sarre & Nix)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xyne had offered a small smile at the apology, and had listened while he watched the scene. "Listen, what was done or not done doesn't matter anymore. Right now, we have to focus on this." He gestured toward the chaos. We'll worry about Yela later, Baker."

Xyne paused, about to say something else as he figured out exactly who it was that had ran past them earlier. "I had no idea they were back." He ducked under the tape, a bit awkwardly, moving toward where the brunette was talking rapidly to Cass.

The short woman was standing just a bit closer to the fire than everyone else, paying no attention to anything but the burning building. She brought her left hand, that was wrapped in bandages up, arm extended and hand level with her shoulder. Abruptly she dropped it sharply. For a second, there appeared to be another woman standing right before her, dressed in blue with matching hair. The image disappeared just a quickly, but water suddenly started falling heavily over the fire, causing more smoke but putting out the flames.

The man's voice was audible for a moment. "See, Cass. I told you she knew what she was doing."

Damn, she was out of her league. First Cass, and now this? Whatever this was. She was absolutely stunned.

"Wow," Katelyn murmured beside her.

They both watched for a bit, as silent as the rest of the little crowd - most of it ordinary people on the street that had stopped to gawk.

"I never fail to be surprised everyone time someone does something," Katelyn said.

"What about you?" Eleanor asked her. "What do you do?"

"Nothing," she scoffed. "I'm good with a rifle, I needed a job."

"You're not gifted?" Eleanor said, turning to look at her.

"No," she replied.

"Oh," Eleanor said. She couldn't help but feel a little prouder - a little more valid. There were still regular people in the SPPA, working the corners and the background. Katelyn was simply one of those. Not another talented officer she had to compete with.

"And you?" Katelyn asked her.

"I can't be killed by electricity," Eleanor said simply. "It's not as impressive against everything I saw today. Cass and..."

Katelyn shrugged. "I don't know either. Probably from Spain. Ask Xyne later, I guess."

"Alright..."

After that, Katelyn excused herself, and Eleanor let her. She didn't like Katelyn. Something about her made her uncomfortable - no, that wasn't the right thing to say. She knew exactly why Katelyn made her uncomfortable. It was the mix of murder - what else could it have been called - and interrogation. The interrogation department. They were the antagonists of every movie, the men in dark glasses and black suits, or else in army uniforms with cigars hanging from unshaven faces. Katelyn was neither of these, but the words were still attached to her. Interrogation department.

As she strolled away towards the untouched areas of the parking lot, Eleanor watched her; watched the rifle swinging from the strap on her shoulders, and the pistol that made one of her pockets hang lower than the other. She was anything but a harmless background worker. Eleanor watched her, and decided that Katelyn was dangerous.

Oh, look at that... she even had a black motorcycle to match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xyne was in the middle of a discussion with the brunette, while Cass stared just as openly as anyone. But for now the fire was out, so that meant they could start looking for others that might be hurt.

Cass turned, stared at the girl then nodded, and immediately spun around yelling again. "Okay, you Parkin, Get to the offices and see how bad it is there. Crystal, Tai, keep all those people out of the way." She glanced down the way and saw that two officers were still keeping cars and directing firetrucks so she nodded. "Baker, get over here, and help Kira look for people."

Xyne patted Cass on the shoulder. "I'll help them too."

The dark haired girl, moved back over to stand next to Kira, who smiled at her. Then both turned to look toward Eleanor.

Eleanor moved promptly, like a dog, at the sound of an order. They walked together towards the building, the air full of steam and the ground packed with damn ash. The dust and the flames were cleared. She matched the smiles of the two strangers. "That was amazing," she said to the woman.

And although nobody had asked, she mentioned idly, to Cass and Xyne, "Katelyn left..."

She ducked her head, smile still small, and moved a bit closer to Kira.

"Kira, Ash.. This is Eleanor Baker, my partner." Xyne made the introduction, then looked around again. "Katelyn isn't much for people."

"Now, Xyne, lets be fair." Kira kept his smile, tone warm. "Many do not like her either. Also, it is a pleasure to meet you, Eleanor." He shook her hand while Ash just offered a wave.

"We should get to looking." Xyne offered, before patting Ash on the arm. "Good work there."

".....Thank you..." Her voice was soft.

It was a dreary night. With powerful flashlights, they scoped out the wreckage. With the torrents of water Ash had summoned, there was little blood, so it felt like they were exploring some wet ruin in a deserted city.

But Kira and Xyne's idle banter - gentle and friendly despite what was around them - made it a pleasant enough experience. Until they started finding people... or, what was left of them.

Fortunately most were injured, save for one Officer and unfortunately, one Captain. Given that there were only currently two in the city with that rank, it meant things were going to get very busy for Xyne.

Kira, asked friendly questions to Eleanor, and was generally helpful, while Ash just worked. Even though Xyne couldn't do much, what with his arm, he still tried to help move bits of rubble.

A tug on his sleeve, made him turn and look as Ash. "What is it?"

".... Here..." She dropped a couple of pieces of overly warped metal into his gloved hand. "...You find him..."

"Oh what do you have there?" Kira dropped back into a crouch, and wiped his brow, bits of his hair escaping the ponytail, and a smear of dirt on his cheek. "I have to say.. I was looking forward to some sleep..."

"Now, Kira, you know none of us get enough of that." Xyne was poking at the bits of metal.

"Visiting hours are over," the secretary said. "They'll be open again at eight in the morning."

Katelyn sighed. "Did you see them?" she asked. "It wouldn't have been too long ago."

He smiled, "The doctors that ran through weren't frantic and shouting. Usually that's a good thing. I'm sure your friends will be fine."

Katelyn returned the expression. "Thank you, sir," she said, before ducking out.

"Of course. Have a nice night."

"You too," Katelyn said. "Hopefully you don't get a flood of people echoing me."

He laughed, "Ah, that... that would be a little irritating."

"If I see any I'll let them know," Katelyn said with a smile. "Good night."

Strangers, she liked. Strangers liked her too. She knew how to talk to them. Sometimes, she wondered if they should exchange names or numbers, but every time she tried, they'd idle on her contact list until she'd forgotten them. Her phone was packed with these people - of acquaintances she'd had flying conversations with, once or twice. Whenever she bumped into one on the street she could never remember their name, though usually they couldn't remember hers either (just her motorcycle) so usually it ended up with both of them laughing with relief.

She strolled to the parking lot, feeling both relieved and disappointed. There were a few bikers hovering around her motorcycle, messing with the chains that she'd used to crudely attach the rifle to the handlebars. One couldn't exactly waltz into a hospital with a big gun on her back.

"Oh, do you like guns?" she said to them. They whirled around, like children with their hands caught in a cookie jar. "We've got our own," they said darkly, both of them pulling out handguns and spinning them to show her. They didn't point them, but it was still a threat.

"Cool," Katelyn said, unfazed and smiling. "What model? Can I see?"

They seemed stunned, but nodded. One handed his over, handle-first, to Kat. It was a crude, cheap, design, but well taken care of. She commended this care, then unlocked the rifle and presented it to them, as if she was showing them her present at a party.

Their sticky fingers were gone, either by intimidation or because they felt like she was, sort of, one of them now. It was just a quiet, nonviolent, sharing of tools. "If you guys have nothing tonight, we could totally go up north, out of the city, and fire a few rounds," she said. It wasn't as if there was any other work for her to.

Katelyn liked strangers.

The corner of Xyne's mouth turned down slightly, as he studied the bits of metal. He absolutely hated using his other talent. There was no control, no way to see just want he needed, and the images always lingered, almost like a veil over his eyes. Not to mention the headache.

Kira, frowned abruptly, but didn't speak. He could hear all of Xyne's apprehension just like it was his own. He glanced at Ash, since the two were always linked, and nodded.

Carefully transferring all the pieces to one hand, he worked one glove off and started poking at the metal with his bare hand. He could see, very clearly, where the bomb had been placed, and the explosion, hear the screams and feel the ground shake. As he watched, he could see the man he had chased earlier running through the burning offices. His face wasn't completely clear, but it was a lot better than what they had before.

Abruptly, Xyne dropped the bits of metal like they burned, and closed his eyes tightly. He didn't see Ash catch the metal, or Kira, start murmuring quickly, asking Eleanor politely for a glass of water.

The plumbing was broken, so there was no hope with that. Instead, she went for the parking lot. The ambulances carried bottles of water, but they were already gone. Damn it.

In only two minutes, though, Eleanor returned with a small paper cup of iced green tea from a vending machine on the street. It wasn't water, but he liked tea, right?

Everyone here seemed to know what was going on, so when Xyne took the cup, she nudged Kira for an explanation.

Kira's smile was slightly strained now. "Oh, sorry. I keep forgetting that not everyone knows as much as I do. My apologies." He glanced at Ash, who nodded, and hovered a bit around Xyne, while Kira led Eleanor away a bit.

"Eleanor, I can call you that, yes? You see, there are some of us with unique talents. Like Ash, and Xyne. The reason he wears those gloves all the time is because he cans see the past of whatever he is touching. It is like he is there, but he has no control. None. So it is always very difficult for him afterward. You should speak to him about it later."

His next words were very soft, only meant for Eleanor. "They need their partners more than others. Do you understand?"

Eleanor nodded gravely. "Thank you," she said.

She didn't say this out loud - it would be selfish to, but in the gloom of the rubble, with Xyne and Kira, perhaps somewhat even with quiet, willowy, Ash, she felt there. Like an officer, with officers, instead of a coffee courier.

With Captain Tristis, there was friendship; she still had no idea what to make of Cass, and in the bar - well that was play. Now she felt like she was part of this thing that she had signed up for last year; part of an inner circle.

Kira smiled, a usual expression for the man, before brushing bits of hair out of his face and moving back to check on Xyne. As distractions go, Kira was second to none. "She's not too bad, your partner. She at least talks more than mine." He smiled a bit wider, at the almost forced chuckle. "But, you know she'll be here soon and then it will be nothing but chaos." He straightened, and studied the area. "This is tame so far."

"You never did like the commander..." Xyne finished off the tea and nodded at Eleanor in thanks.

"...Idiot..."

"Well said, Ash." Kira nodded. "So, before she shows up, tell what you saw."

"The bomb was on Krishna's desk, the one in the far corner. I saw it blow...." He paused then and changed direction. Kira's face drew in concern, but he said nothing. "Our shifter, he had ears, like a rabbit, and he was fast. I can't see his face clearly, but I can probably give some details to an artist." Xyne shook his head, then stood. "Come on Baker. We're going back to the alley. Kira, you and Ash help out Cass... and call me later."

Something unspoke seemed to hover int he air for a moment, before Kira nodded, and tossed a casual wave. Ash offered Eleanor a shy smile. "...Nice to meet you...."

"You too," Eleanor said, smiling. "Both of you."

Then they were off. "Shouldn't you get a new sling?" she asked Xyne, "And something for your head?" The blood on his face had dried into a crusty streak, but the injury itself still looked damp and sticky. It felt strange to be doing their work without their uniforms, or their tools. She didn't have anything on her at all for combat. "Hold on a moment," she murmured to Xyne.

A quick word to another officer - one of the simple guards without abilities, and she managed to borrow a bottle of antiseptic, and procured each of them a weak pistol. Better than nothing.

Xyne honestly didn't care about his arm, or his cut. Everything was secondary to the headache and the desire to go back to where he lost the shifter and see if they could find something.

Still, he waited while she gathered a couple of things. But he declined the pistol. "You keep it. I have mine." He knelt, and showed his ankle holster. "I always keep it on me, just in case."

That was because there was a very bad habit of him getting called in during is time off

"Alright, then," Eleanor said, "hold still though, and close your eyes."

She gave the cut a good spray, then tossed the can back at the waiting officer, who plucked it out of the air with practiced ease.

"You mentioned an artist," she said, "but couldn't he just shift out? It wouldn't take that much effort. Would it be easier to look for Yela instead? Katelyn mentioned a box. A werewolf in a box must have been noticed by someone." She doubted a walk in the alley would yield anything - or maybe they'd just walk into some sort of trap.

Xyne stayed still, letting Eleanor fuss a bit. "That's what I'm looking for. I was more focused on the shifter earlier, this time, I'm looking for a trail, something. As for the artist, yes, shifters can change, but I'm betting that the face he had there was the one he uses the most. If he is of any kind of standing, then there will be some kind of record. Plus.. rabbit ears, that isn't exactly a common animal form to have."

When she was finished, he thought for a moment. "You know.. you don't have to come with me. It's going to be a long night. "After the alley, I'm going to check in with Shena, see if she saw or remembers something. It's after visiting hours, but they'll let me in for a report. They kind of have to." Xyne didn't really throw his rank around, he never felt it was a big deal, but in this case, he was willing to make an exception.

"I suppose," Eleanor said. Fluffy rabbit ears. Suddenly the shifter sounded much cuter than he should have. She'd only caught a glimpse of him as he had dashed out.

"What kind of partner would I be if I ditched now?" she chuckled, Kira's words echoing in her head. "Just promise we'll get a coffee later, and I'm good to continue. Besides, I can't wait to meet Shena. I've been hearing nothing but good about her."

"Good point. I figure out of all the new people they've stuck me with since Jakins left, you're the best of them so far." Not that it was hard to be better than the others, they were all overly self important. All Eleanor needed really was a bit of confidence.

"You'll like Shena. She's like Kira, but nicer." Xyne realized that Eleanor didn't know Kira that well so he explained a bit more. "See, Kira is as good natured as they come, much like Shena, but Kira is pretty scary when he gets angry. I've never actually seen Shena angry." He did though remember very well, the time Kira melted a rogue vampires brain. That had been very disgusting actually, although to his credit, he looked surprised that he had actually done it.

"Oh, well I'll make a note not to anger Kira, then," Eleanor laughed. It occurred to her that she didn't know all that much about Captain Tristis either - she knew plenty of things around him; friends, contacts, favourite foods; a bit of bending of the rules, but that felt like surface stuff. What was he like when he got angry? It was a curious thought, but it was probably better not to find out.

The fact that Shena wasn't the type to get angry - well, she almost wanted to meet her just so she could dump all of her stupidest, smallest, questions on her. People that were mellow and gentle tended to have that effect. They were a magnet for all matters small and insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.