LURKER MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
Writing Levels
  1. Douche
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/...terror-attacks-on-people-seeing-the-interview

Warning

We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places "The Interview" be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to.

Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made.

The world will be full of fear.

Remember the 11th of September 2001.

We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.

(If your house is nearby, you'd better leave.)

Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

All the world will denounce the SONY.​

What the fuck is going on?

NORTH KOREA HAS DENIED INVOLVEMENT

Considering these nuts fling shit everywhere and proudly display how awesome their dysfunctional ICBMs are, I'm pretty sure if they managed to hack an international company like Sony for the sole purpose of destributing a threat, they'd be all proud of it.

Fairly sure they'd skip the hacking part too.

Also marketing.

Also this shit ain't new. (Pretty sure someone could find a better example than this one. I'm just being lazy.)

I believe they have denied it as mentioned above, but I can't remmember where I read that North Korea commended it or something. I also read that U.S are linking the Sony hacks to North Korea. I think it MAY be marketing, but the movie release was just recently canceled because of the threats so...i'm not sure.

I believe they have denied it as mentioned above, but I can't remmember where I read that North Korea commended it or something. I also read that U.S are linking the Sony hacks to North Korea. I think it MAY be marketing, but the movie release was just recently canceled because of the threats so...i'm not sure.
Nope. Just the NY Premier is cancelled. Quote: "An announcement by Sony on Tuesday said the decision whether to pull screenings lay in the hands of picturehouse owners, but added that the studio hoped to proceed with the planned nationwide rollout of the film." So long as theaters are willing to show it, Sony will put it out there.

Hope my town's still playing it, because I totally been looking forward to it.

If this is an actual hacking threat and/ or Best Korea acting like a bunch of silly goofballs, I'd still go. I mean, what are they going to do? Fly airplanes into every theater in North America? Guys can't even get a missile to work properly.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Is it terrible of me that I have a somewhat-macabre desire to see these grandiose, world-altering and history-changing threats actually be backed up and carried through?

Is it terrible of me that I have a somewhat-macabre desire to see these grandiose, world-altering and history-changing threats actually be backed up and carried through?
Probably.

But North Korea's all bark and no bite. The Kim Jong family has to know they can't win a war against NATO, and everybody else has more functional nukes and missiles than they do. They just act up to keep in people's minds and aggressively posturing themselves keeps their dictatorship safe from overthrowing by more overzealous members of the party who would think they're weak if they didn't routinely threaten to wipe out all life in South Korea or America and carry out hilariously bad missile tests from time to time.

Probably.

But North Korea's all bark and no bite. The Kim Jong family has to know they can't win a war against NATO, and everybody else has more functional nukes and missiles than they do. They just act up to keep in people's minds and aggressively posturing themselves keeps their dictatorship safe from overthrowing by more overzealous members of the party who would think they're weak if they didn't routinely threaten to wipe out all life in South Korea or America and carry out hilariously bad missile tests from time to time.
It's still a bit worrying, though. What if they actually get things right for once? I'm not from US (Southeast Asia actually) but if they think they can threaten others like that they must have something going on...

I don't know. Never really liked dipping into topics like this since there are a lot of things to consider (but it seems that being an Economics freshman I need to expand my views).

This is just ridiculous. It's just a fucking movie for Christ's sake, made for no other reason than entertainment. North Korea is getting their knots all in a twist for nothing.
That is if it even is North Korea, which I have my doubts; it's probably just a bunch of no-lifes using the tension between the two countries as a means to cause trouble.

I'm calling a total bluff here, guys.

It's still a bit worrying, though. What if they actually get things right for once? I'm not from US (Southeast Asia actually) but if they think they can threaten others like that they must have something going on...

I don't know. Never really liked dipping into topics like this since there are a lot of things to consider (but it seems that being an Economics freshman I need to expand my views).
I'd take them more seriously if it wasn't a constant barrage of vehement and violent rhetoric against the West and Friends that is never, ever backed up. I mean, we're talking about people who were caught trying to tunnel into South Korea and when they were caught, they claimed they were following a coal vein and they just painted a bunch of rocks black. They threatened to murder the shit out of everyone for laughing at their sad missile/ bottle rocket mishaps and as far as I can tell, they just kind of are sitting there, hoping people forgot they said anything so the next time they say something, it's super scary all over again.

Keep in mind, they pretty much have no economy to speak of due to the amount of crippling sanctions they've been enduring for pretty much decades and China, their only ally, is pretty much treating them the same way you treat your childhood friend who grew up to be a drunk asshole who's wasting his life away at the bars instead of trying to move on with his life. Their army isn't much more advanced than they were in the Korean war, which even then did pretty terribly when the international community stepped in. China did all the heavy lifting then, too.

The thing is, to do an attack on the scale they're threatening in a post 9/11 world is almost unthinkable, and they're vaguely threatening people going to see a movie as if the theater itself is in jeopardy. So, which theater? How are they going to do it? I mean, even if they DID launch an attack that somehow was completely missed by every intelligence agency in the US keeping their eyes out for signs, then odds are it wouldn't be the theater you were at.

Point I'm trying to make is we shouldn't live in fear of the bad guys, because that's pretty much all they're trying to do is intimidate us because they don't have the force to back it up so they rely on terror tactics. The guys who pulled off 9/11 hit the jackpot of overreaction because I promise you, for what little expense they paid to carry out those attacks has resulted in trillions spent in security and basically making everyone terrified of their neighbours and the government becoming more and more invasive against its citizens in the off chance something happened. Best way to combat these fuckwits is to carry on like they don't matter, because they really don't. Besides, even if a terror attack is going to happen, there's no way to know when and where it's going to be, and you have way more odds of being struck dead from something stupid (like, I don't know, butterfly allergies?) than die of a terror attack in a developed country.

If you want inspiration for how to deal with terror tactics, look no further than London during the Blitz. The citizens went about their day to day lives, only stopping to go into shelters periodically when an air raid was happening. Instead of demoralizing and crippling the city, it built a stronger community of people who refused to be cowed by some jackass Austrian dictator with a bad mustache. If North Korea does something, you can be sure that the US is going to enjoy the opportunity to demonstrate exactly why they spent 52% of the entire world's defense expenditure on their own forces against an enemy country with a conventional military of shitty outdated Soviet-era technology.

This is just ridiculous. It's just a fucking movie for Christ's sake, made for no other reason than entertainment. North Korea is getting their knots all in a twist for nothing.
Some people love an excuse to get their knots all in a twist for nothing.

I'd take them more seriously if it wasn't a constant barrage of vehement and violent rhetoric against the West and Friends that is never, ever backed up. I mean, we're talking about people who were caught trying to tunnel into South Korea and when they were caught, they claimed they were following a coal vein and they just painted a bunch of rocks black. They threatened to murder the shit out of everyone for laughing at their sad missile/ bottle rocket mishaps and as far as I can tell, they just kind of are sitting there, hoping people forgot they said anything so the next time they say something, it's super scary all over again.
Their excuses are pretty sad, how did I forget... So are they doing it to keep up appearances? They can't stop now that they've promoted that sort of image for themselves, they dug their own grave?

Some people love an excuse to get their knots all in a twist for nothing.
That is true, unfortunately, I mean that's a good portion of the Internet right there.

Also, I think the former employees suing Sony are just being ridiculous. Yeah, it sucks that tons of private data was exposed to the public, but that isn't really Sony's fault. There are a lot of really skilled hackers out there, you'd be surprised at what some of them can do. If they decided that they have beef with you, you're basically screwed, because they can work around security in ways you could never have expected. I feel sorry for Sony, honestly, as if getting hacked wasn't bad enough, they also gotta get sued too. It seems the only reason people sue anymore is because they see it as an opportunity to make easy money, and that's just sad.

That is true, unfortunately, I mean that's a good portion of the Internet right there.

Also, I think the former employees suing Sony are just being ridiculous. Yeah, it sucks that tons of private data was exposed to the public, but that isn't really Sony's fault. There are a lot of really skilled hackers out there, you'd be surprised at what some of them can do. If they decided that they have beef with you, you're basically screwed, because they can work around security in ways you could never have expected. I feel sorry for Sony, as if getting hacked wasn't bad enough, they also gotta get sued too. It seems the only reason people sue anymore is because they see it as an opportunity to make easy money, and that's just sad.
The problems are really piling up for them, but I think they'd weather it.

And suing for easy money... >_< It really isn't Sony's fault those security numbers were exposed, but I guess people have to lay the blame on someone. When it comes to people, they always want to blame someone.

Reactions: Hatsune Candy
Their excuses are pretty sad, how did I forget... So are they doing it to keep up appearances? They can't stop now that they've promoted that sort of image for themselves, they dug their own grave?
I don't claim to be an expert on international affairs and political intrigue, but I'd say that's pretty much the case. If they back down, they look weak (or so they think), and the Kim Jong family's spent way too long trying to immortalize themselves as super human rulers that admitting they're basically throwing insults at the Hulk instead of choosing not to start a war they know they can't win would be a huge loss of faith and would probably go against their endless propaganda. If the citizens have no idea what the outside world is like, then all they have to go off of is the government's word, and that would change in a mighty hurry if a giant super army showed up at their doorstep.

The problems are really piling up for them, but I think they'd weather it.

And suing for easy money... >_< It really isn't Sony's fault those security numbers were exposed, but I guess people have to lay the blame on someone. When it comes to people, they always want to blame someone.
And who better to blame than some big-ass corporation that you used to work for?

Reactions: Hana
I don't claim to be an expert on international affairs and political intrigue, but I'd say that's pretty much the case. If they back down, they look weak (or so they think), and the Kim Jong family's spent way too long trying to immortalize themselves as super human rulers that admitting they're basically throwing insults at the Hulk instead of choosing not to start a war they know they can't win would be a huge loss of faith and would probably go against their endless propaganda. If the citizens have no idea what the outside world is like, then all they have to go off of is the government's word, and that would change in a mighty hurry if a giant super army showed up at their doorstep.
I just feel sorry for the citizens because they have no idea of the BS their government is pulling, other than the propaganda they've seen all their lives there. They don't even get an opportunity to see the outside world aside from what they think is the outside world from what the government tells them.

Asking why they're even doing it would be fruitless, wouldn't it?
And who better to blame than some big-ass corporation that you used to work for?
Everyone always hates their employers at some point...

Reactions: Hatsune Candy
There goes North Korea being North Korea again.

I hope that one day there will be a generation in North Korea that has the privilege to be connected to the rest of the world. (Just saying)