Sony cancels "The Interview" after (North Korean?) threats

Sony knew the ramifications when making such a movie. For them to act surprised is laughable so now they had to cancel the movie all because of what they started. Do you think North Korea was going to be happy about this movie?

Sony knew the ramifications when making such a movie. For them to act surprised is laughable so now they had to cancel the movie all because of what they started. Do you think North Korea was going to be happy about this movie?
I doubt anyone expected North Korea to be happy with the film, but threats of terrorism or war are simply not within the normal bounds of logic for the situation, whether they originate from the government itself or not. It is true that in many ways, it was stupid to make a movie about killing the living leader of a country—even if it is just a comedy—but that does not excuse such excessive retaliation. Sony made a "mistake" with consequences far beyond their control, and they are doing what they can to rectify it.

As to why we, in this thread, care. It is most likely due to the threats that this situation poses to our values. Predominantly, the value of human life, which the terrorism threatens; the value of freedom of speech, which has been threatened by Sony's removal of the film; and the value of justice, which is why some people are defending Sony and others criticizing them.

Overall, it makes for an interesting discussion, which is why this thread was created, I assume.

Reactions: LunaValentine
You are right, my earlier statement was stupid. It is extreme for a country to spout threats especially about a movie but we were not dealing with someone logical to begin with. I think Sony should have opted against making this movie in the first place.

Reactions: Holmishire
I think Sony should have opted against making this movie in the first place.
I agree.

Making a movie about a living person without consulting them has always seemed like an immature thing to do—especially a film making fun of them. And uh, killing them? Wow.

still would have been entertaining, though

Apparently, it will be screening on Christmas. Only a few "big name" theaters will be showing it, but hundreds of small theaters have already set up for it to be showing on the 25th. I've heard that some people from Sony have announced that it will be released online as well, but I'm not so sure on that yet. So, after the hackers/threats and the disapproval of the president, Sony is still going strong with this.

Main Source:
http://gizmodo.com/sony-pictures-wi..._source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Reddit source:
http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/2q6trt/sony_pictures_will_screen_the_interview_on/

Personally, I don't think it's a smart idea to make a movie that includes assassinating a real person,
200_s.gif

Edit: And here's a list of most of the theaters that will be showing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.

Making a movie about a living person without consulting them has always seemed like an immature thing to do—especially a film making fun of them. And uh, killing them? Wow.

still would have been entertaining, though

I'll be sure to ask Kim how he feels about being killed in a movie as soon as he asks his victims how they felt about being executed or sent to labour camps.

People seem to forget that by giving into the threats, Sony allowed their freedom of speech to be oppressed by an anonymous group that may or may not have been North Korea, setting a bad precedent for the future of the film industry and America in general. Basically it says that any country can control the media we put out by hacking into a company's database and sending a few hollow threats that are quite obviously just a bunch of bullshit nonsense. I agree with Obama in that Sony made a mistake here by backing down so easily to begin with.

I'll be sure to ask Kim how he feels about being killed in a movie as soon as he asks his victims how they felt about being executed or sent to labour camps.
Documentaries with a directed goal, political satires, and the like, I can fully support.

However, as far as I can tell, this film was created more with the intention of amusement than legitimate criticism, and as such, I personally disapprove. Yes, compared to the various atrocities committed in North Korea, this is nothing—but I've never been a fan of retribution-based justification. My ethical perspective does not change just because it is being applied to a monster.

Nevertheless, the film is what it is, and I am not adverse to its existence. Some good can stem from immaturity. I was actually planning on watching it myself, regardless. It looked like fun, and I would just have to stifle the guilt of seeing a real man mocked as such.

People seem to forget that by giving into the threats, Sony allowed their freedom of speech to be oppressed by an anonymous group that may or may not have been North Korea, setting a bad precedent for the future of the film industry and America in general.
We have not forgotten—this threat has been mentioned in the thread.

It is true that to most, the threats purported by these hackers are hollow. And yet, however small, there was still a risk of backlash if Sony had not pulled its film from screening. The risks were small, insignificant to some, but still present.

Ultimately, Sony may have made a mistake. But they have every right to make that mistake, if it is their belief that the risk is not worth facing. Alongside the freedom of speech is the freedom not to speak, and they did so at their own discretion. To say that Sony should have screened the film for the sake of the country—to Sony's own detriment, and whether they liked it or not—is in and of itself a rejection of the right to free speech.

(I'm not saying you were saying as much, by the way. I just get the impression from many people discussing the subject—her and in the physical manifestation of my life—that it was Sony's responsibility to air the film, which isn't the case.)

Oh? Because I think it sounds like a really, really, dumb movie.
Extraordinarily dumb movies can still be monetarily successful. Proof of that can be found in the fact that Will Ferrell's career is thriving.

This is North Korea. Y'know.. the country that refuses to march in the Olympics because they would have to stand next to South Korea..? If you're going to make a movie about killing their god figure and leader, I'm sure that stick up lil' Kimmy's butt is gonna give him a few splinters about it.

And guess what Kimmypoo is gonna do? He's gonna throw a tantrum and apparently threaten to bomb your country. Over a comedy movie.

That's pretty spooky, right? We better evacuate our homes and get to the closes bomb shelters, because were about to get bombarded with some chinese-imported north korean firecrackers. Talk about droppin' the ball on New Years, huh? It's not like we couldn't wipe them off the face of the planet or anything. Honestly, If we nuked North Korea one day I really don't think China would even give a fuck. If North Korea is gone, then what is there to defend?

Reactions: Hatsune Candy
I just saw the Interview Today through YouTube.

It was a cute movie.
It's not hollywood big hitter or anything, but it gave me a few chuckles.

And I do agree that Sony backed down far too easily. The fact they gave down to such a vague threat, one where they didn't even know was from North Korea or not.
And even if it was, it's North Korea. They got nothing to really scare people with. It makes me fearful for what companies and governments may do when an actual threat comes along.