So the rednecks are throwing a bitch fit

....Isn't it just -individual- dumb people that are applying for succession and making their own country, not the states doing it?

Because I am pretty sure the politicians of those states aren't that insane. XD

From what I know, Diana.
I mean, I'm pretty certain that it's a tiny group of people in each throwing a huge temper tantrum.
To be honest, I'm sure that most people here would mock incessantly those pitching the fit if we happened upon them.

Don't worry guys. You won't need a passport to come visit me. It'll be okay.

I'd rather not get dragged into my 267th internet argument about who's the better landmass. We both suck, but everyone hates you more.

Sorry, Asmo. It's "us" for you, now.

Obviously this is just a few people having a hissy fit, but the truth is that america is very divided at the moment. Yes they have no legal reason to secede (though I must say that is quite...well mean.), they really could do so if they had enough people in certain states wanting to. Sure legal it would be wrong...but what is the federal government going to do?

Go all martial law and police state on them? That's pretty hypocritical; after all USA are the ones who wanted to secede from the empire of Britain and Americans all ways seem to put themselves as the "good guys" in that war. Now I doubt this will happen, but I think their is still some chance of it; with extremism being quite thrown around in the USA (on both sides).

Think about it, what if Romney had been elected and the LGBT community and allies and pro-choicers and left wing extreamists where do do the same thing and try to secede, or maybe split the country so that at least in one country they are treated with equality, or give woman the right to choose about their body, or any other issue they are left wing about.

I could see them doing it, because in their view they are doing the right thing and the people in this article also believe so. Not saying either is right or wrong. And yes financially, politically, etc. it would cause chaos, but seriously would it be so bad to have two different countries so that each side is allowed to govern themselves and not having to always fight half of your population?

Sure you would have to deal with them politically, but still you could have your different opinions and societies. And if push comes to shove I could very much see some extremists turning to terrorism in an attempt to excite a civil war. Now if real chaos was to happen I could see jihadist having a heyday with this so their is another reason not too.

In conclusion; Yes this is stupid and it most likely nothing is going to happen, but then again I thought the American civil war was stupid and I'm sure people at that time, when unrest started to happen thought the same thing. And I'm saying this as a half american half australian who really doesn't care all that much, but is forced to care because america is a the western superpower the bullies all other western countries around.

Heard about these petitions a while back. Not really news, and nothing will really come of it. Though it is quite amusing.

For starters, it is citizens of the states that are talking about removing their state from the Union, not the actual state government themselves. Though to be fair, the Governor of Texas did start the Texas petition.

"These citizen generated petitions [On Whitehouse.gov] were filed just days after the 2012 presidential election."

So in a nutshell folks can sign away, nothing won't really come from the petitions on their own. Currently the number of folks that have signed the petition for Texas to secede is 112,850. The population of Texas is 25,674,681. It and all of the other states are not really in any danger of leaving the United States anytime soon. In all likelihood the folks that signed these petitions don't realize how much the states actually rely upon the federal government to fund many of the programs, jobs, and infrastructure that they take for granted. But I'm not worried about Oregon seceding any time soon.

I mean hell, there is even a petition to nationalize the Twinke industry. On a more amusing note, there is a petition to deport all those that have signed petitions wanting their state to secede from the Union.

Long story short, several states have filed petitions to secede from the Union. Except, oh wait, no, that's not it. Several individuals have filed petitions for their states to secede from the Union. Non-binding, legally worthless cries...

Yes, but if it was to reach a high enough popularity in some states...could it not make the state government agree with them? Or if next election they elect state governments that does want to secede if they don't win? Of course it won't but their is still a chance. Small though it may be. And of course it is stupid, but lots of things are. Imagine if some idiots put it on themselves to become terrorists to get more popularity...

So it's very unlikely any agate in the union has a large enough population base that wants to ceceed. Even if there was, unless there was a multitude of states it wouldn't stand a chance, and we have seen what happen during the last civil war, the Union won, but everyone lost. It was the war of brothers and no educated person wants to redo that. Not when the United States has enough nucluler weapons to blow the earth up 14 times over. Not without the support of international allies. Who would ally with any of the states if they wished to leave, Cuba, N. Korea and Vensuala? Not exactly strong allies.

At the end of the day it's fun to point and laugh, and it makes some interesting story fodder, but the reality is there isn't a big enough group of issues for a vast majority of people in any reason to want to fight their way out of the union, because it would be a fight, it would not be a peaceful process.

Dear America, when your country's secessionist movement organises itself into a political party, gains control of your parliament and begins preparing for a referendum on going independent by 2014, THEN you can fucking complain.

Isabellas just don't want to be stuck in the country of Arkansas.. they still burn witches here!