So apparently this is a thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming from Ontario like Gwazi, one thing that sticks out and is pronounced from our accent is when you have a word with doubled letters (letter, butter, cabbage, etc.) We don't enunciate the second letter. So you end up with us saying things like let-er, cab-age, bit-er, and so on.

I also have come to realize we're in the minority for prouncing aunt like ant instead of ougnt like a lot of places.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I know Bagged Milk is an East Canada thing (weirds me the fuck out; why don't you just buy it in a container if you're going to take it home and pour it in a container anyway? Seems wasteful :/)
Because... well... I...
That's just the way it is Damn it! >:C

I totally hear you on the weird accent thing. I've been asked where my 'accent' is from by customers at work, and I'm like "uh, here?" I've lived in Northern BC my whole life! But I pick up words from a lot of people, and I've been accused of having everything from a trace of southern drawl to an East Canada accent, when I've never even lived in any of those places!
Is that what it is? I swear, having grown up in northern BC too, I have heard it all. When I worked in retail people would start speaking to me in french thinking I am from France or Quebec. Then there are the people who think I am Irish. This happened when I lived in the lower mainland and now that I live on the island. It's strange I only hear a little difference, but they hear enough to start asking me where I am from. 'My grandfather was from Belfast.' Me, oh well, that's nice.

On this note though my favourite canadian BC saying joke is... Spuzzum. If you haven't been to Spuzzum, you ain't been anywhere. Once you are beyond hope you can always go to Spuzzum. Skookum Spuzzum. Does anyone else use this joke? Like if someone wants to know a good place to vacation, or where your favourite place is you would tell them Spuzzum and play that song for them? We used to do this at school and we, temporarily, had a cult following of people who wanted to go to Spuzzum. Ah, the great north, the land of very little internet.

Reactions: Minibit
Last time I went to emergency, the triage nurse legitimately thought I was from Australia. I was baffled.

Status
Not open for further replies.