Small fantasy rp group?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

friendlycoffee

Original poster
Hi there, looking to get back into roleplay but it's been years so I'm feeling kind of rusty and really not sure how to go about joining one. In any case, I was hoping there might be a small group or even someone after a 1x1 who might be willing to offer a spot. As I've said, it's been a while and I'm new to this site as well, so I may need a nudge here and there, but I'm keen get to grips with it again. At the very least I'd say my writing is of a reasonable quality.

I adore fantasy of all types, though modern fantasy is my favourite, so anything fantasy based is likely to pique my interest. I'd rather a small group and nothing too complicated though since I'd prefer not to be overwhelmed early on. Oh, and a quick warning that I'm in a weird timezone, so I might not post when everyone else does.

I'd be really grateful if any of you are willing to give me a chance. Thanks for reading.

if your interested Im building a new world right now and need people for rp and brain storm ideas its fantasy but structured from movies, TV books and such its a modern fantasy world but with old world roots

Hi there, looking to get back into roleplay but it's been years so I'm feeling kind of rusty and really not sure how to go about joining one. In any case, I was hoping there might be a small group or even someone after a 1x1 who might be willing to offer a spot. As I've said, it's been a while and I'm new to this site as well, so I may need a nudge here and there, but I'm keen get to grips with it again. At the very least I'd say my writing is of a reasonable quality.

I adore fantasy of all types, though modern fantasy is my favourite, so anything fantasy based is likely to pique my interest. I'd rather a small group and nothing too complicated though since I'd prefer not to be overwhelmed early on. Oh, and a quick warning that I'm in a weird timezone, so I might not post when everyone else does.

I'd be really grateful if any of you are willing to give me a chance. Thanks for reading.

I'm starting a long term fantasy rp right away here. Group size is closer to ten, ideally upon start, but in my experience only half of that will stick around, leaving the group size closer to 5 or 6. Here's the ooc thread to check it out :)

[OOC] Endurn: The Heart of Alauum

While I don't have anything going on to give spots out for, I wouldn't mind planning something from the ground up for a group of 4-5. I'm definitely on board with a small number like that if we can manage to round up a few more!
I go for fantasy of pretty much all strides, so I'm sure we can find middle interests.

I'm starting a long term fantasy rp right away here. Group size is closer to ten, ideally upon start, but in my experience only half of that will stick around, leaving the group size closer to 5 or 6. Here's the ooc thread to check it out :)

[OOC] Endurn: The Heart of Alauum

Probably a bit complicated for me to start off with but thanks for the offer :)

While I don't have anything going on to give spots out for, I wouldn't mind planning something from the ground up for a group of 4-5. I'm definitely on board with a small number like that if we can manage to round up a few more!
I go for fantasy of pretty much all strides, so I'm sure we can find middle interests.

A smaller group like that would be lovely. I'm honestly just hoping for something simple-ish to get me back into things. If you need help with ideas to start things off I can try, but I don't have anything specific.

@friendlycoffee
Simple I can get on board with easy.
If you're up for it I'd rather treat this like a four way partnership than a group with a GM if we can find a few more people after coming up with a basic idea to present. I think that's also a good way to keep it pretty simple.

So, to get started I have to ask - anything at all in mind with modern fantasy? It's a big genre.
I'm just going to leave some one word ideas here for now, but by no means consider these the only options. (EDIT: I pooped out rather quick with that list looking back at it, haha)

Shapeshifters.
Powers of varying sorts (superhero type or other)
Magic - of varying sorts, wizards or more simple than that even.
Mix of classic fantasy into urban setting (hidden creatures, elves brownies etc)
vampires
werewolves
witches
curses
Narnia-esque (Inkheart, too, where modern characters find themselves in another world)

Big question-
Secret fantasy world or open? May be a good place to start.

@friendlycoffee
If you're up for it I'd rather treat this like a four way partnership than a group with a GM if we can find a few more people after coming up with a basic idea to present. I think that's also a good way to keep it pretty simple.

So, to get started I have to ask - anything at all in mind with modern fantasy? It's a big genre.
I'm just going to leave some one word ideas here for now, but by no means consider these the only options. (EDIT: I pooped out rather quick with that list looking back at it, haha)

Shapeshifters.
Mix of classic fantasy into urban setting (hidden creatures, elves brownies etc)
vampires
werewolves
witches
curses
Narnia-esque (Inkheart, too, where modern characters find themselves in another world)

Big question-

In terms of the world I'd prefer it to be quite similar to our own, except of course for the existence of magic. I did create a magic system a while ago that revolved around four different types of caster, I guess that could be used if no one has any better ideas?
Mages would need to write/draw out their spells, and these needed to be very precisely done to work, which isn't much good in combat but allows for some clever stuff so long as it's done preemptively.
Witches need to speak to work magic, although it's more the intent behind it than the specific words they use, they're not as precise as mages but can do more than sorcerers.
Sorcerers can use magic just by thinking, but it's more of a raw power they throw around, tossing cars and such like, but without any ability for subtlety or clever things.
And necromancers work with souls, which I have a system for but would take a while to explain. Could always just breeze over it in the interests of keeping things simple.
I like the idea of magic being commonly known... like perhaps magic users are expected to get a license to practice and pass all the tests and background checks. So you'd have magic users who follow the law and stick to the rules, and then you'd have others who pull a big middle finger to the rules and do what they like in secret, running the risk of being caught out and facing prison.
Having other creatures like vampires or fae or whatever wouldn't hurt either (I think it'd be fun actually), it's just a question of how the world might balance their existence...
I don't know, it depends on what you want too. In terms of an actual plot to drive things forward would you have any ideas, or more/better ideas for a world? I don't know how much you want before looking for other people to drag in, they might have ideas they want to try out.

@friendlycoffee

Shapeshifters.
vampires
werewolves
witches
curses

Big question-
In terms of the world I'd prefer it to be quite similar to our own, except of course for the existence of magic. I did create a magic system a while ago that revolved around four different types of caster, I guess that could be used if no one has any better ideas?
Mages would need to write/draw out their spells, and these needed to be very precisely done to work, which isn't much good in combat but allows for some clever stuff so long as it's done preemptively.
Witches need to speak to work magic, although it's more the intent behind it than the specific words they use, they're not as precise as mages but can do more than sorcerers.
Sorcerers can use magic just by thinking, but it's more of a raw power they throw around, tossing cars and such like, but without any ability for subtlety or clever things.
And necromancers work with souls, which I have a system for but would take a while to explain. Could always just breeze over it in the interests of keeping things simple.
I like the idea of magic being commonly known... like perhaps magic users are expected to get a license to practice and pass all the tests and background checks. So you'd have magic users who follow the law and stick to the rules, and then you'd have others who pull a big middle finger to the rules and do what they like in secret, running the risk of being caught out and facing prison.
Having other creatures like vampires or fae or whatever wouldn't hurt either (I think it'd be fun actually), it's just a question of how the world might balance their existence...
I don't know, it depends on what you want too. In terms of an actual plot to drive things forward would you have any ideas, or more/better ideas for a world? I don't know how much you want before looking for other people to drag in, they might have ideas they want to try out.

Or if that system doesn't interest you that's fine, I'm happy to go along with most things I was just trying to throw that out there. I really just want to see about getting something started...

Hello darling... If you'd like, we can set up a group or a 1 on 1 RP experience...

IF you're new, I'd suggest a group roleplay. Group roleplays give writers more experience than one on one simply due to the fact that there are more personalities contributing to a single story and you get more opinions and styles from one story. However, once you get a feel for writing and you're ready to hone your abilities, a one on one story is best.

It's never a good idea to try to practice writing in a large group. Waiting turns just to write a short two paragraph reply with someone who may or may not be on in the next two days isn't a good way to get a lot of practice in...

So, that being said I'm willing to cater to your desires if you have a particular story in mind. Take your pick and I'll follow your lead.

If you don't want to start a story, you could consider jumping in on one of my 1 on 1 stories that I've started.

@friendlycoffee
Sorry for the delay - I was out of town/afk all weekend.
I like that system, actually. The subtle (and not so subtle) differences of each type make for an interesting play on magic. Especially how each has their own connotation - witch verses mage etc.. I'd love to see what people come up for those connotations in a modern setting.

I think the best course of action is really to define the world first ( that could just be explaining the magic system and any other creatures or differences from the reality of modern day ). We can decide that much and then post a thread inviting 2-3 more. We can then discuss plot details as a group and our characters can drive that part of the discussion.

So I'm wondering if (let's say for a moment that we include vampires and/or fae) the other magic creatures have become less and less through time. Some may even be considered just legend, as if no one quite remembers or has real proof anymore. But sorcerors/witches/mages/necromancers being humanoid, they could reasonably have avoided endangerment because they would be able to blend in (and would be more of the culture of 'normal humans' anyway, than say any fae would).

Maybe the fae have some pure control over magic that even the perfect mage could never attain (or has never). Maybe a vampire is a degradation of a necromancer, some lesser more base form.

Do you think a large city setting is best? I always jump to that, but only because it offers the most possibilities without defining what those are just yet. Of course, that could also be left to deciding with a group. . .
If we use the system you have in mind, we really just need to write that up and maybe have some ideas for what to do with it? We can present that in a new thread. I would like to think that would be enough to snag interest and we can get more brains in on a plot.

@friendlycoffee
Sorry for the delay - I was out of town/afk all weekend.
I like that system, actually. The subtle (and not so subtle) differences of each type make for an interesting play on magic. Especially how each has their own connotation - witch verses mage etc.. I'd love to see what people come up for those connotations in a modern setting.

I think the best course of action is really to define the world first ( that could just be explaining the magic system and any other creatures or differences from the reality of modern day ). We can decide that much and then post a thread inviting 2-3 more. We can then discuss plot details as a group and our characters can drive that part of the discussion.

So I'm wondering if (let's say for a moment that we include vampires and/or fae) the other magic creatures have become less and less through time. Some may even be considered just legend, as if no one quite remembers or has real proof anymore. But sorcerors/witches/mages/necromancers being humanoid, they could reasonably have avoided endangerment because they would be able to blend in (and would be more of the culture of 'normal humans' anyway, than say any fae would).

Maybe the fae have some pure control over magic that even the perfect mage could never attain (or has never). Maybe a vampire is a degradation of a necromancer, some lesser more base form.

Do you think a large city setting is best? I always jump to that, but only because it offers the most possibilities without defining what those are just yet. Of course, that could also be left to deciding with a group. . .
If we use the system you have in mind, we really just need to write that up and maybe have some ideas for what to do with it? We can present that in a new thread. I would like to think that would be enough to snag interest and we can get more brains in on a plot.

I like the idea of other creatures being much rarer. Perhaps they are considered to be more myths and legends spawned by magic users and few believe in their existence, but magic users are more accepted as just another part of the world.
Fae might have more of an elemental based magic maybe? It could work as more of... an affinity, I guess, where they can just persuade nature based elements to do what they want, and much harder to counter than human casters. The urbanisation of the world would also go some way to explaining their scarcity since they tend to go hand in hand with nature, and have a distaste for iron...
Maybe a vampire is what happens when a necromancer screws up some kind of spell big time, and they end up cursed to want to drain the life out of everyone... idk.
There's probably a way to work most other creatures in.
Do you like the idea of laws for magic users or would you rather magic is entirely a secret? I feel like that's a big world point. As for setting, I'd love a big city too, gives the chance for a bit of everything and a mishmash of different people all living in the same area. But yeah, if anyone else has a better idea we could go with something different...

So, still open? You seem rather engrossed in the plans of another RP, so just checking.

Any limitations? No anniemay? No RPs from the Redstar section? No 'Ancient Technology in Fantasy setting' stuff?

I really, really like the idea behind the four different forms of magic users, and I have to say that I love what you and @Jess Incognito are talking about. Any chance I could join in on the brain storming? I have three different ideas floating about just from reading all this.

Reactions: Jess Incognito
Hello darling... If you'd like, we can set up a group or a 1 on 1 RP experience...

IF you're new, I'd suggest a group roleplay. Group roleplays give writers more experience than one on one simply due to the fact that there are more personalities contributing to a single story and you get more opinions and styles from one story. However, once you get a feel for writing and you're ready to hone your abilities, a one on one story is best.

It's never a good idea to try to practice writing in a large group. Waiting turns just to write a short two paragraph reply with someone who may or may not be on in the next two days isn't a good way to get a lot of practice in...

So, that being said I'm willing to cater to your desires if you have a particular story in mind. Take your pick and I'll follow your lead.

If you don't want to start a story, you could consider jumping in on one of my 1 on 1 stories that I've started.

I think I probably just want to stick with one rp for now, so provided this planning actually goes somewhere I'm okay for now. Thanks for the offer though.

Reactions: Lylith
I really, really like the idea behind the four different forms of magic users, and I have to say that I love what you and @Jess Incognito are talking about. Any chance I could join in on the brain storming? I have three different ideas floating about just from reading all this.

Well, I'd personally be happy for anyone with ideas to jump aboard, so long as Jess is okay with it. I mean, we're gonna be looking for a few more people at some point anyway.

@KageKaioh
Please please, join in! Make yourself at home.

Wonderful! My first question is what type of modern fantasy did you two have in mind? Mystery, action, slice of life, ect? I have a few ideas for supernatural/mystery that spawned from the idea that the supernatural creatures have been disappearing. I also think it would be interesting to play a "us vs them" style, where magic users are fighting against being registered/controlled.

Wonderful! My first question is what type of modern fantasy did you two have in mind? Mystery, action, slice of life, ect? I have a few ideas for supernatural/mystery that spawned from the idea that the supernatural creatures have been disappearing. I also think it would be interesting to play a "us vs them" style, where magic users are fighting against being registered/controlled.

My preference would slide toward mystery or action, or a combination of both. If you have any ideas feel free to pitch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.