Simply never simple

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice had sat at the table with her face buried in her hands when Felix appeared. Her head shot up when she heard the voice. Why did she have to hear that? She had always been the one to be there for her friends when they were in trouble, it didn't matter if she could help them or not. So why had she thought it being different this time? Because there were magic involved? But they were still humans and humans needed each other. Even if she were useless, just being there would help.

"Thank you, Felix." Alice said after a minute of staring at the place Felix had appeared and disappeared on. She knew he could hear her even if he weren't there. She rose from her seat and hurried to the door, she didn't care for an umbrella since the storm would just make it blow away. Alice put on a long coat and shoes before opening the door.

The rain was icy and it hurt a bit, but she weren't going to turn back. It was impossible to run in that weather so she had to focus on one step at the time. She could feel the earth holding her steady as she walked through the blizzard. Without her earth powers she might not have been able to walk forward at all.

After some time she came to the place where Lucas were sitting with Raziah in his arms. "Lucas." Alice had to shout to be able to hear herself. She had no idea if the words could reach him even though she were so close to him. She tried to hurry her steps to get to the two but it wasn't possible to walk faster than she already did. "How's it going?" She tried to ask once she was just beside them.

Lucas looked up from their position, eyes gone completely water blue now. The wings that had appeared before when he had protected her were extended around them, protecting them a bit from the wind and ice. One extended and wrapped around Alice, pulling her close so that it could protect her from the ice as well. "You should not be here," he said when she was pulled close. He took one arm and looped it around her to offer some warmth though he was scowling a bit. "You should be home, warm... safe."

Alice almost felt like slapping him. "What kind of friend would I be if I just left you every time it became a bit rough. If I didn't listen to Alecander when he told me to stay behind then i won't listen to you either." She told him. The first time Lucas and Raziah had come and Alecander went out to see if they were dangerous then he had told her to stay inside, but once they attacked she had run out anyways. She shouldn't have needed Felix to tell her what she needed to do, especially since she always had been a person to help her friends even if she couldn't. She didn't think she could help Alecander that time and still she did.

"Raziah is my friend too, I want her to be safe exactly as much as you. I can't just sit at home waiting. I need to see that she'll be okay."

Lucas looked at her and then rested his forehead against her shoulder. "You are warm Alice. Atleast your skin is. Must be the fire in you," He whispered, accepting her rational though he didn't like that she was putting herself into harms way. It might have just been the fact that he still sat there in jeans and a t-shirt as to the fact that he thought Alice was warmer than him. Either way, he was trembling when he was leaning against the woman. "I don't want her to die Alice. She's my family. She's more important to me than breathe. I can't lose her."

Alice had never noticed that she was warmer than others, but when he mentioned it she remembered that she hadn't felt really cold since she got her powers, except for when Lucas came with the first snow storm before she had trained her powers. It was like her body were able to hold temperatures better the more she learned to control the fire. Lucas was trembling as he leaned against Alice, she had never seen him loose it like that. "Don't worry, Raziah will be fine." Even though she couldn't be certain she still said it with confidence. She couldn't believe that raziah would leave Lucas. Not even death could keep them apart.

The young man stayed curled there, wings protecting the two women that meant to the most in his life. After a small bit of time, he seemed to fall unconscious against the young woman, the storm picking up ferocity. At the same time as he passed out a small creature appeared before them. It looked up at Alice and climbed over the two to look up at her.

Flin had grown to be twice the size he had used to be because of the control that Lucas had learned over the last couple of weeks. "He can't keep doing this Alice. He's going to get himself killed either from the storm or through no control. Please, you need to talk to him when he wakes," the elemental creature begged gently.

Of course Alice knew that what Flin told her was right, she had even lectured Lucas before for loosing control on purpose. But now when she knew that Raziah could die, how could she just tell him to stop? At the same time she knew that he couldn't go on as he did. Sure, she could talk to Lucas about it, but how would she get him to listen? He would never want to do something that hurt Raziah. And the guilt he would get for giving Raziah a death sentence. The guilt Alice would get for convincing him if she succeeded.

"I know Flin." She thought it was a bit funny that everyone wanted her to talk to Lucas. Every time he did something stupid she was the one that had to convince him. Why did everyone think that he would listen to her? A pretty stupid question since she already knew the answer to it. "I'll talk to him, but I don't think he'll listen." She told the small water creature.

Flin watched the woman before he climbed up her arm to her shoulder. He considered it for a few moments before nodding and settling down on her shoulder to wait out the rain with them. Blinking a few times a dome of ice formed over them, keeping the heat that Alice was giving off inside while it continued to storm outside. "A little present from the water creatures to you," He explained gently before he sighed. "Thank you, for being willing to deal with the idiot. He thinks it's a never ending battle. It could end ifhe'd just accept it."

"You make it sound so easy." She said. "Raziah is his family, he wants to protect her. I would have done the same for Alecander." Alice tried to explain. It wasn't really death if the familiar joined the element, but it could as well be. They might always be there, but it still weren't the same. She understood exactly why Lucas was prepared to do something so exhausting as keeping his powers away from control, but at the same time she knew why he couldn't keep doing that. Maybe that would help her making him listen. But it was Lucas, he barely even listened to Raziah whom was like a sister to him.

Flin looked at the witch before looking down at Lucas. He would not answer her words. If he did he might expose too much. "I"m sure that youwill all find a way to make this end simply and cleanly," he explained no further and settled down to rest through the storm. "You are a strong, intelligent girl. He'll need someone not as stupid as him if he is to survive this." He grinned. That would be a miracle to say the least. "Just keep him warm through this. That is all I ask besides talking to him."

"Simply you say. Its never that simple though." Alice said. "I'll try my best. But don't expect too much of me Flin." She didn't want him to put all his believes in her. If she would fail to convince Lucas, if he got hurt, then Flin would just be disappointed. It was better to go through life without expectations, because then every outcome would be better than expected since there was nothing to expect to begin with.

(Did I just almost sneak in the title? YES I DID!!! xD
Btw, Flin in Swedish means grin hahahha)

(Hehe I did notice that. So sorry that it took so long to reply. Got pretty darn sick this last week)

Flin nodded his head and then disappeared though the shield from the rain and snow did not budge. Lucas remained passed out near her, holding the unconscious Raziah. It was a good hour before he woke up, blue eyes blinking slowly open as he looked up to see where he was resting. When he focused in on Alice, he stared at her before looking down at Raziah, reaching a hand out to check her pulse and then forehead. "You must think I am a selfish git," he said softly.

Alice might have dozed off herself at some point after Flin had disappeared, but woke up again shortly before Lucas. The storm didn't seem to settle down any time soon. Then Lucas woke up again. She took a deep breath before answering him, thinking carefully of what she should say.

"When I figured out that familiars would die when we got control over our powers then I thought that it would be best if I never got control over them. It was unfair that he would die and I thought that as long as he was beside me then it didn't matter if I were in control or not. But having no control or very little control also means more danger. People can get hurt without you wanting it and in the end you might even kill yourself. I don't really think you're selfish, but I don't think that you should keep this going on forever. Raziah wouldn't be happy if you got hurt or even died because you tried to protect her." Alice explained. She didn't want to loose Raziah, especially not so close after Alec, but she didn't want to loose Lucas either. If they had been normal people then no one would have to die, there would have been no powers and no familiars, just four normal people going to school and having normal life's.

Lucas looked from Raziah to Alice before looking back. "She's my sister Alice... We grew up playing together. How can I let her go? She's all that protected me from the Family when they tried to take me back," he explained before his grip on the young wolf-girl tightened. "I love her like family. You can understand that can't you? I can't--I won't lose her."

"I know." Alice almost whispered. What more could she say? She knew why Lucas couldn't keep doing what he's doing but at the same time there was no way Alice thought it was a good idea to kill off Raziah. "Its hard to loose someone you love, but if you love them you have to let them go." Alice looked at Raziah as she spoke. She remembered the words her mother had spoken to her when her father were going into a war zone. She didn't want him to go because she didn't think he would survive. That time she had told him she wanted him to stay, but this time he had left without a word. It felt as if she was waiting for someone to knock on the door, walk into their living room and tell them that her father had passed away. Still she had to let him go, because he had people he wanted to protect. Just like Raziah would want to protect Lucas.

Lucas remained quiet after that, letting his magic go uncontroled for a good hour longr before the hail stopped hitting the enclosure they were in and it slowly melted away. Much to his surprise there stood Otaria and Ryuji, watching them as if the snow around them wasn't anything to bother themselves over. "You three, come with us," Ryuji said, "We need to talk about this little display you gave."

Alice hadn't expected Lucas to change his mind just because she tried to talk to him, and honestly a big part of her didn't want him to stop. She just couldn't see Lucas without Raziah, ever since she met them it had felt like they made each other complete. She wasn't certain if Lucas would make it without Raziah, just like she was still not sure if she could make it without Alecander.

She had no idea how much time had passed when the storm started to vanish. Both Alice and Lucas were surprised to see Otaria and Ryuji standing there. How long had they been there? They didn't seem to have been bothered by the weather at all. Were they worried? Angry? Alice rose from the ground, ready to go whenever the others were. Her legs hurt a bit after sitting on the ground for so long without moving. She turned to Raziah worried about her health.

Lucas gathered up Raziah to him and rose, protectively putting himself between the two and Alice. He didn't argue though. He knew power when he'd felt it earlier within them. These two could block him in a cell without water for eternity if they so wished and he had no intention of actually going through that. They were led through the snow in silence by the other pair until they reached the main road to the school. The building was quiet and empty. No one had stayed around with the new storm blowing in. Nor had the janitors locked the building up. Opening the door for Otaria, Ryuji looked back at the others and ushered them in out of the cold.

"Your control is harming your familiar, is that it?" Otaria asked quietly as she looked at the unconscious Raziah in Lucas' arms.

Lucas immediately put himself between Alice and the two strangers, which didn't surprise Alice at all. It didn't seem like he wanted to trust them even after Alecander had told about those two. She couldn't blame him though, it wasn't like she trusted them more now, it was just that she trusted Alecander enough to not show too much hostility towards them.

They walked silently through the snow, Alice felt how she started to shiver from the cold air. Soon they reached the school and they walked into the empty and unlocked building. It felt like she walked through a wall when she entered into the warm room.

Alice couldn't help looking towards the unconscious familiar in Lucas arms as Otaria spoke. "Obviously" Alice said silently but was pretty certain everyone had heard since there weren't any other sound in the building except for their voices. She wasn't certain who she was most irritated on at the moment. Lucas that tried to keep Raziah alive with means that could as well kill himself one day, Raziah that hadn't even told them that she was unwell before she collapsed, Alecander that seemed to keep secrets from her and just expects her to move on just after he died, or the two Asian people that she actually didn't have that much reason to be irritated on but still couldn't help being irritated on.

Lucas ignored the others and put Raziah down on a bench near the office, watching her carefully, letting Alice talk.

"We know a way to stop it,"Otaria admitted slowly. "We can stop your familiar from slipping into the Element until the two of you choose to do it, be it after you have learned everything or the day one of you dies."

Lucas' entire body tightened and his gaze flashed to her, shock apparent on his face. "What?"

Status
Not open for further replies.