Side Effects

"Well, I don't think anyone would recognize us. But as a precaution, maybe I should go and find a news stand. See if the news reached here yet. And if the coast is clear, I can go and find something for Lyle." She didn't really want to steal from a store, but she didn't have much of a choice. Just to make sure, she stuck her hands into her pockets and was amazed to find some money in there. She found a $50 in her front pocket and then another in her back pocket. "This is the most luckiest thing that's happened all day," she says with a smile. "What do you think?"

Vince nodded, "Ok, but please be careful. I can't anything happen to you." He watched a cars drove by and thought how anyone here could be inflicted with the effects of the pills. Look what it did to Lyle, he couldn't imagine what it could have done to others. He took a deep breathe, calming down from her previous anger. He moved himself and Lyle back to a safe distance. "Come back as soon as you get a paper, and good luck Leona."

((The group now knows that people are following besides the cops and they fled to Seattle))

She nodded and patted his shoulder. "Calm down, Vince. I'll be fine. I promise." She took one last look at Lyle and Vince before she climbed through the bushes and landed on the sidewalk. She learned real fast that she needed to either move or get trampled. That's how busy that day was. She's been to Seattle before, but she'd always been in a cab and she was with her father. He made sure that no one would get close to her. Now she had to learn how to go at it without him. She went to a hot dog stand that she was familiar with and tried to trace her steps. 'So whenever dad wanted to get a paper, he would take a left from here,' as she talked to herself, she went the way that she said. She walked a couple blocks until she found the news stand. She was so ecstatic. She didn't think that would actually work.

She walked up to the news stand and smiled at the salesman. "How much is a news paper?"

"$3.50, miss."

She awkwardly took out her $50 bill and asked, "Um, can you break a $50?"

"Uh, sure." He went through his money box and was able to find 2 $20's, a $10, a $5, a $1 and 2 quarters. He handed her the money with her newspaper. She put the $5 in his tip jar and and told him to have a nice day. As she walked away she glanced at the headlines and didn't see anything about run aways or freaks with powers, so she took that as a plus.

She knew that Vince wanted her to come back as soon as she got a paper, but she felt like she needed to get something for Lyle. He's just being paranoid. She walked around until she found one of those tourists stands where you can buy everything that has the word Seattle on it. She bought a large Seattle T-shirt and a hat. She hoped that those horns would bend. She found the hot dog stand again and traced her steps back to the guys' hiding spot. She gave the newspaper to Vince and walked over to Lyle with the clothes. "We're in the clear. The headlines is about something political. Um, snooze fest in my opinion."