Sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be noted the extremist often can do what they do because the moderates will rush to defend them, even if indirectly.

To explain a bit further let's say an Egalitarian mentions something along the lines of "Feminism is being hi-jacked by the Extremists".
Sometimes, a Moderate will get defensive to this since Feminism is now being viewed negatively and respond with something along the lines of "That's just the Extremist! Most of us are good!".

Now, that may be true.
But dig a bit deeper into this.

The Moderate here just chose to argue the person addressing the issue in Feminism, rather than arguing the extremism.
This effectively now discourages people from calling out this problem because now they're more likely to simply have to deal with people reminding them that it's a minority, even if they already knew that.
Meanwhile, the Extremist are now not only protected from that criticism, but the criticism from those moderates because they're busy trying to defend the movement.

In other words, the Extremist have just used the Moderates a Shield to hide from criticism with, may the Moderates approve of it or not.
Speaking as a feminist, pretty much everytime people mention said "extremists" elements, they paint all of us with the same brush as them. And if you agree with a single point raised by them, you get so much shit it ain't even funny. It's identity politics biggest curse. The amount of vitrol people have, is insane. Hell you are doing it here, you are saying the moderate will defend them, you assume we are all gonna defend them. You are applying a broad brush becouse it is convenient.

You don't see it, but there is alot of push back against the extremer elements these days from "Moderates", and as people grow up their views tend to mellow and grow more mature. But we can't talk about that, because feminists are all tumblerinas and swjs and whatever other label people like to slam. It boils down to people wanting to see Feminists as this terrible manhating group, because even when the women suffrage movement started, that's what people who was against it used. From the start, this has been one of the things tossed at feminists. It is just that now, people are honest to god buying into it wholesale. It is sad. Oh. Not to mention, being a male and a feminist, I am apparently a "beta male". That is always a fun one.

As for the Logic vs Emotion argument. Both are crucial for things to get done, the so called "rationalist" movement I keep seeing pop up tend to act as un-PC as possible as if this proves a point or makes their arguments stronger.This is way for them to manipulate emotion, by riling up others while claiming some sort of high ground. Meanwhile, if you call them on it you are a SWJ or something similar. And forget trying to argue your point calmly, you just get ignored or patronized, becouse you are a feminist. I really wish people didn't see basic human empathy as some sort of handicap btw.

That said. Every movement is gonna have divisions, and ideological splits. It's inevitable. It is also regretable when we get hacks like Sarkesian attacking freedom of the speach in UN and people cheer her on...

TL:DR. You are trying to explain to me how moderates and extremists work within something thats been with me for almost my entire life. You act with a clear lack of information on the subject, and it reflects poorly on both of us.

and while we are at it. Look at how "Progressive" has turned into some sort of dirty word for selfproclaimed "Rationalists" everywhere. There is a massive shift in how people percieve things. We are gonna have a pendulum swing back soon enough, and then its someone else that has to defend their viewpoint when people give a their side a hard look. And we can't shut our extremer parts up becouse that'd be censorship, the number one argument every person and his mother use to attack the "PC" people with.

Also York is very right regarding the whole "Feminism is a hot topic". It is just a shame we are being lumped together so easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun Fact #1: the Counseling section of the forum is not the place for discussions of sensitive topics. See those prefix options in this section? None of them say "discussion" or "debate" or so on. The lack thereof was not a mistake.

Fun Fact #2: there's a section of the forum called General Chatting that is in fact the place for discussions of sensitive topics. It even has this handy prefix that says "discussion" that you can use to mark a thread as a place to discuss a certain topic with other people on Iwaku.

It's almost as if there's a proper place for these sorts of discussions and this isn't quite it!

In other words, quit being dumb in the Counseling area, take it where it belongs and stop shitting the place up. >:[

Reactions: LunaValentine
Ah. I apologize entirely. This is my bad. Sorry Sacred!

My mini rant on that subject is people focus too much about names and labels. Time wasted trying to fix a name could be spent gaining true equality with a different name. I don't know about all of you, but I find that spending time under a different label freeing people from unfair circumstances is more important than getting a name back. At the end of the day, it's just a name. If i'm in a terrible situation, I don't care if it's feminist/egalitarians/equalitist/whatever. Point is, equality happened, and that person's life just got better.

Status
Not open for further replies.