Secret Lives (Taken)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon had always been an observer of people, not that he didn't like to talk or socialize but one of his favorite pass times was to simply sit and watch others interactions. It wasn't like he was an expert or knew how to read people by heart. He just tried to pick up on things that they would tell him without them knowing. A way to get to know someone a little more easily and quickly. However this girl didn't talk much which seemed to suggest to him that she was thinking a lot about what she said and who she was talking to. Perhaps there really was more to her then met the eye. He believed every word she spoke to him though, for some reason he knew she didn't have a reason to lie to him. Perhaps not tell him everything but she seemed to trust him.

The questions she asked about being vulnerable to attack were definitely odd, not many people think about things like that when they were settling down. It was a very primal almost animalistic view of settlements like Gratinis. "Well, I suppose that yes it does make us a bigger target..." he told her truthfully, they couldn't move much and they were very big which meant it would be easy to find them. "however, because of that we've built walls and have a militia in town which protects it. We can defend ourselves for years inside these walls and it will take a great force to be able to get in here."

Smiling, "A question is a question, never odd or stupid. It's just I've never really thought about being attacked in the city. We haven't had many wars in this part of the world." Looking over at her for a moment, not wanting her to catch him started to make his way to a chair in the room. "I suppose always being on the move makes it much easier to hide and never be found. So I guess they both have their perks."

Aeroa watched Brandon, "Well, I suppose that helps. Being able to defend yourself."

Aeroa saw Brandon move, he disappeared into the room as he talked about always being on the move. It was true, being on the move had its advantages, Aeroa knew that. Maybe being settled down wasn't so bad. Food was farmed, money was circulated, the people weren't unfamiliar, and maybe they helped each other out. Aeroa stood out on the balcony a little bit longer, she took a look at the moon. How it hung in the sky, how it must know so much from just observing everything. There was no one to bother the moon, it must have a very simple and easy life.

"But it doesn't make it a good question." Aeroa added with a small yawn she covered. "It must be late." She paused, "Is there anything I should do first thing in the morning?" She supposed if she was going to work for Brandon she should at the least know what she needed to do, and if there was an order to it or not. But definitely getting more fruit was on her list. "I don't really know where a lot of things are.." She admitted. Her first day working for him was going to be an odd one she knew.

Aeroa walked over to the bed and sat down on it. It was more comfortable than she thought. Instantly as if she could do nothing to resist she laid down, "Wow." It may have been the softest thing ever. The only beds she had ever laid on were far more uncomfortable. They were all hand made, or normal she presumed. Being rich must have some perks, comfort was bound to be one of them, she reasoned. Aeroa closed her eyes for a moment. Enjoying the soft white sheets and bed.

Watching her he began to make subtle connections between her and a cat, he wasn't sure why, maybe it was her hair. But the way she yawned was attractive to him, cute, and he smiled when she asked what she would need to do tomorrow. It seemed that they were both getting tired and the weight of the nights slumber was beginning to press down. In fact Brandon was fairly sure that he might have been able to sleep in the chair he was sitting in if the opportunity provided itself. "It is getting late, let's both get some rest tonight." He smiled before laying his hands on the arm of the chair to help himself to stand.

"As far as what needs to be done, it's really up to you... I tend to get the gardening things done first thing when it's a little cooler. Though with winter coming upon us you might want to wait for things to warm up towards the afternoon." He watched as she sat down on the bed, practically falling into place for sleep. He couldn't help but let out a chuckle with her one word of how the bed was. It was good to have someone appreciate the room and beds every once in awhile. "As far as what you'll need for the rest of the house they're in a closet in the kitchen. I have a broom, cloth, buckets, mops, and a duster. I'll usually be home in the late afternoon and I can give you a hand."

Walking over to the door so that he could give her some privacy he stopped for a moment to turn around, "Oh, I'll leave some money for you in the entry way if you need to go and get other food from the market or something." With that he placed his hand on the door and turned it opening the door slightly, "Also there is a bathing chamber on the other side of the hallway from your room, if you would like to use it. Goodnight Aeroa..." he spoke softly as he looked at the beautiful form which was laying on the bed.

Afterwards he closed the door and went to his own room, it was not much bigger however it did have a few more bits of furniture inside. There was a large desk, a wall which was devoted to small personal items that he'd collected over the years as well as several home projects which he'd use to take up his time in the evenings. Small wood carvings or sketches. They were his window into another world outside the town, places that he couldn't go... but Aeroa seemed to open the possibility that he might one day be able to go and enjoy what it seemed she had enjoyed. Taking off his coat and tie he lay down on his bed and promptly fell asleep.

Waking up the next morning he found himself quite groggy, the after effects of staying up so late the night before. It seemed having someone to talk to late at night might be more of a temptation to stay up late than he had imagined. Laughing lightly he made his way to his closet. Choosing a new suit for the day, black, a fresh linen shirt and a red ribbon tie he grabbed his trusty cane and made his way down stairs. He didn't hear Aeroa anywhere and he didn't want to wake her if she wasn't already. Taking out ten gold coin he placed them on the small desk in the entry way where they would be easily seen. That would be more than enough to buy whatever might be needed at the market. "Have a good day Aeroa, glad to have you here." He spoke with a smile to no one in particular and when that left for his work.

Aeroa smiled, apparently Brandon found it funny she was enjoying the bed so much, but she couldn't help it. It was far more comfortable than most things. It was quite soft, and she figured she would be able to fall asleep on it fairly quickly. "Closet, broom, cloth, buckets, mops and a duster." Aeroa whispered to herself so she would be better are remembering it. 'That shouldn't be too hard. Clean. Pick fruits. Maybe cook.. maybe.. though its a scary thought.'

Bradon's voice was soft, warming, wishing her a good night. It was pleasant. Aeroa felt like the whole world could just stop turning at that exact moment and things would be okay. There would be no work, there would be no fears, cares, concerns, nothing to worry her. A soft bed, a beautiful night, and someone that could be a good friend. There was something about being here, in his house, in a room, on a bed that just made her feel like she was where she should be. It wasn't natural, not in any way, shape or form but she knew she could get used to it. Everyone and anyone could adapt to change, and this one may be a change for the better. Maybe everything else would just work itself out.

Brandon left, and Aeroa sat up. It was peculiar, she was alone now. That hadn't happened for many hours. She realized that she had been enjoying his presence and the lack thereof made being in his house seem odd. Surely he was probably just a little ways away, over in a different room, but he wasn't in her immediate view. Which was okay, but weird. Houses, they were weird. Knowing someone is around, but not actually being there. It was a life to get used to. Aeroa got up and sleepily walked over to the balcony, something about the night and the outside was attracting her. Aeroa took a deep breath and gave another yawn, things were really going to be odd. She looked out and saw the moon. "Could you do me a favor, moon?" Aeroa paused, "I know you see a lot.. and there's a lot you know.." she waited. Not for a reply, not for any sign that it was listening but for herself, to be completely genuine with her request. "I'd like to know how to keep those men from my life." Aeroa sighed and walked back inside.

Aeroa walked over to the door leading to the hallway, careful not to bump into any furniture, and she tried to count her steps; knowing how far away something was always seemed to work in her favor. Aeroa lifted her hand and let it hover above the doorknob. Brandon had said something about a bathing chamber being across from her room. Aeroa wanted to get out, she was very tired and it was getting hard to keep her eyes open, but not being out and about was getting to her. Maybe just a short walk around the house would do, but she couldn't get herself to open the door. It would have been odd if she had accidentally bumped into something and woke Brandon, what would he think; her walking around his house at night. Aeroa paused, she could see the bathing chamber and the rest of the house later, in the morning.

Aeroa let her hand fall beside her as she made her way to the bed. She re-positioned herself to be comfortable and closed her eyes. She looked up at the ceiling and sighed. A lot had happened in one day, and she knew she would end up having to dream about it to help her sort out her thoughts.. hopefully there wouldn't be another nightmare again. Those men just couldn't stay away, and that always brought bad dreams back to torture her. Her dreams focused more on the transition into a house than those men, thankfully. She only had to deal with the first part of her dream being bad; the rest was helping her work through the new life she could have.

Aeroa woke up, it was late, a lot later than she had planned to wake up. She felt like she had done wrong for sleeping in. She hesitated for a moment, realizing she didn't really have clothes here. Nothing to wear that was different. She opened the closet to find it practically empty. Oddly there was a large shirt, and pants that she wasn't sure would fit, and upon trying them on, didn't. So she put the shirt on and left her pants on from last night. The rooms were furnished, but the person moving in was supposed to fill it up she guessed. She had found a ribbon lying at the bottom of the closet and she wasn't exactly sure what it was from, but decided she could tie her hair back with it.

Aeroa began with her chores, it took a few attempts but she found the closet and the cleaning supplies in it. She started with the kitchen and worked her way around, she swept, dusted, and moped. She cleaned off counters and tables. She cleaned the tops of dressers, and each room she ventured into she was sure to clean as much of it as possible, to the best of her ability. Upon finding the coins she knew they were for her use if she needed to pick anything up from the market, but she planned to do that later, to get any extra food. Once the sun was high enough to shine into the house and fill it with light she ventured outside. It was a great day the air seemed fresh and clean. She inhaled, and smiled. Birds were singing, squirrels were dancing, and the bustle of nature just seemed to make Aeroa delighted. She twirled and walked out to the garden. Her favorite part was going to be picking the fruit. Each apple tree, grape vine, and pineapple to pull were just fun to Aeroa. She knew she had a lot of fruit to make up for though.

Reactions: SaejiFine
It was a very crisp morning, the air seemed to nip at his appendages in an effort to decrease his comfort level. Somehow the wind and weather had decided that if it could just keep people in their homes at this early hour it would be a victory. While Brandon felt the cold against his fingertips the rest of his body was quite warm thanks to his jacket and shirt. Looking around he let out a sigh, the breath could be seen as a cloud of mist exiting his mouth. Watching it for a moment it soon dispersed into the air and was lost from sight. Never to be seen again until his next breath a few moments later.

An ancient baker-woman exited her small store and caught sight of the handsomely dressed young man. Her eyes seemed to twinkle when Brandon's eyes met hers. A smile crossed their faces at the same time and Brandon's feet carried him over to her. "I suppose a young ruffian such as yourself wants to beat an old woman until she gives him a sweet roll?"

Brandon's face contorted into a look of mock anger and malice as he stared her down, raising his cane menacingly. "You should learn by now Granny Sophie, that sweet rolls are all your good for! Let's skip the beating and you just give me the sweet roll and it will be better for the both of us!"

Just then, quicker then Brandon could react she'd playfully struck him on the side of the head and began to laugh. It wasn't painful at all but the morning ritual of meeting Granny Sophie always seemed to go so theatrically. She then produced a sweet roll, from where Brandon had stopped asking himself. The twinkle in her eye remained as she held the small honey covered roll to him. "You look like you're in pain, you know what will help? Granny's sweet rolls..." she then began a cackling laugh which broke the mid morning air. Brandon's soon joined her.

Taking the roll he hugged her tightly, "Good morning Granny... it's good to see you." Granny Sophie had always been there for him, ever since he started wandering the streets she'd always made sure he had a piece of bread in his hand. Brandon had never questioned why she'd done it until later. Apparently she'd had a grandson that looked just like him. Because of that she took pity on him and from there a beautiful friendship grew to the point where Brandon considered her as close as family. With a smile he bit into the sweet roll and made a small moan, "just as good this morning as they were last morning, in fact, I think they're better!"

She just continued to laugh and looked him in the eye, "Off to work you charmer, stop by on your way home and I'll see about getting you something else. Good luck today!" She said with a smile. They shared one last hug and Brandon thanked her one more time before continuing on his way.

Arriving at the market he walked through the stalls, people were already purchasing their goods and things, the day had already started. This was the part of his job that he loved most. The market was literally alive at these moments, right now it was just getting out of bed. Things were slow, but they would continue to get faster as the day moved on. A small building sat to the side of the market with a board hanging over the door marking the establishment as a shop for fine art. Inserting his key he turned it and stepped into his shop, from the floor to the ceiling were covered in paintings from various local artists. He had several orders that would be coming in to pick up today.

Brandon was not an artist, however he found very quickly that he had an eye for the work of artists, sculptures, paintings, jewelry, and tapestries. It was amazing how they spoke to him and especially how he could help others to see their value or what they were trying to say. He'd become quite friendly with a local artist, his work became his start as they found he was a natural seller of art. Since then, the nobles and aristocrats have come to Brandon's store in search of the best and brightest artists. There was no other shop like his in town which meant that they had to come to them, it had made the artist wealthy because many bought his paintings, and Brandon had made his fortune because he had become the middle man. People trusted his judgment in what was considered art or beautiful jewelry.

A man arrived a look of pure joy on his face as he quickly asked if his order was ready, though the man was dressed as a noble and looked far older than Brandon was the look on his face was that of a kid with his first prospect of eating chocolate. Giddy and anxious to get what he'd paid for. Stepping behind the counter it only took Brandon a mere moment to locate the small wooden box. Opening it he pulled a beautiful engagement ring from it's confines. The man gasped, it was a fairly large stone, set in a beautiful silver band, with a pair of topaz on either side of the diamond. The ring was stunning and the man couldn't help but find himself shaking as he reached out to take it.

Brandon had many more sales like that done throughout the day, it was a great day for business, people buying for birthdays or anniversaries. He was even able to arrange for an artist to have an appointment for a portrait. After Brandon had closed the shop he began to make his way around the city to deliver orders to the various artists around the town. Once that was complete it was starting to get fairly late in the afternoon. He stopped by Granny Sophie's once more where she gave him a hug and they talked about the day. She always loved hearing about the art in town, she dreamed of having a piece of art in her shop one day. However every time Brandon offered she always refused to let him give her one. "No, I'll pay for it before I'm dead, just you wait and see!" Granny Sophie had always been a little stubborn.

With that done he had taken a small chocolate from Granny Sophie, planning on giving it to Aeroa when he returned home. However when he mentioned a girl's name Granny Sophie nearly dropped what she was doing. Immediately she began interrogating him about her, her smile only becoming more wry as she went along. Especially when Brandon tried to question her about why she was questioning him. "You must bring her by! I have to make sure she's good enough for my boy..."

Laughing, Brandon looked at her. "No, it's not like that... we just met last night, I offered her a job and she took it. Nothing more!" Granny Sophie just smiled and shooed him out of her store, telling him he needed to return home. Which Brandon did promptly thinking about what she was saying. It wasn't a completely ridiculous notion, was it?

Opening the door he walked inside and began to call his voice dying as he spoke, "Aeroa..." looking around the house he couldn't believe his eyes, it was like everything had a whole new shine to it. She had clearly been busy that day. He'd never seen his house quite like this save when it was being built and even then he wasn't sure it was quite as clean.

Reactions: Nimh
Aeroa diligently picked the fruits into baskets that she found beside the house, near the garden. They were each woven so well that she believed they could handle almost anything. She began with the apples, climbing a little ways up into the tree to sit, she hoisted a basket up with her. She carefully placed each apple in she picked, being sure not to accidentally drop the basket. She sang to herself, songs that she learned as a little girl. That her mother had taught her. Eventually she filled three baskets with fruit, and she realized it was a lot more work than it looked like; sure she enjoyed it, but it was tiresome! She was careful to carry each basket into the house, and after carrying each basket in she was ready for a little break, it was starting to get late in the afternoon anyway.

Aeroa walked up stairs and took a few guesses but eventually found the room that she had slept it, funny, she had skipped it when cleaning. She made her way to the closet, this time sure to count her steps. Aeroa had a tendency to talk to herself, which she had managed to not do almost all day. She had kept herself busy with the task at hand, but now that the work was winding down her mind was set free. Aeroa carefully chose another shirt, it was blue and she knew it would still be too large for her. She made her way down to the bathing chamber and found herself a towel. After such a long day a bath would be the perfect way to relax and think.

'Well, what do you think about the house? Living in a settlement? How was your first day?' she questioned herself as she got undressed. She was careful to place her clothes away so they would not get wet. She let her hair down from the ribbon she had tied it up with. She felt the water with her feet first, and then carefully let herself in. The water was refreshing and just what she needed. She let herself lay back against the side of the bath, "Well, I think it is very odd. Things aren't normal. They aren't what I am used to. But it is fun. Interesting. The house is big, beautiful, but I see what Brandon meant by it being empty. And well... I don't know. So far, my first day here has been okay. I mean. I basically cleaned all day. Nothing too exciting." She spoke aloud, but to herself, knowing there was no one else around. Aeroa gave a small laugh. Yeah. It wasn't exciting, that was true, but being here was okay with her.

'And what about those men, are you worried they'll find you?' Aeroa questioned herself a lot, how she felt, what she thought about things. It was an odd habit, but she only did it when she was alone, and she only did it to help her sort out her thoughts. Aeroa slid her face down under the water. Grabbing her hair and rinsing it well. She proceeded to wash her body, grateful that she would be clean. She resurfaced and gave her face a little rub "Well. Of course. They've always managed to find me, but I was never in a house before. I always roamed. They. I don't know. They are a tad too possessive. You know.." Aeroa once again allowed herself to just rest against the side of the bath.

'And how long do you plan to stay here?' Aeroa wrung out her long whitish silver hair, the black streaks seemingly darker than usual from being wet. She stepped out and wrapped the towel around herself. "Well, as long as it's safe. I wont endanger him. But this is something good. I know it, so I hope to enjoy it for a bit before having to disappear. I don't really want to disappear."

'You know they aren't going to give up. They will find you. You just don't know when. He is in danger, for as long as you're here.' Aeroa stopped for a moment. It was true, she couldn't deny herself. But what excuse could she find? "They wont come right away. I have time." Aeroa promptly got dressed and stepped outside of the bathing chamber. 'And what about Brandon? What do you think of him?' Aeroa looked down at the floor. Then up at the door of the chamber, she simply smiled and walked out. "He's a nice person." She said to herself.

Her bare feet found the floor slightly cold, but she got used to it after the first few steps. She was using the towel to dry her hair as she walked downstairs. Some of it hung in her face, and the rest was lumped into the towel she was using to dry it with. The big shirt hung loosely about her. Her named was called, his voice didn't seem to be loud or demanding. It seemed to fade, almost die out as he said it. She took the last steps into the room he was in, then she looked up.

She didn't say anything but looked at him, his golden hair seemingly brighter than before. His eyes seemed like he had been contemplating something. His outfit typical for his work she guessed. He had spent the day, at work. What was she supposed to say? Maybe ask him how it was. Say hello? Answer to her name being called? Apologize for not having anything set out to eat, or not going to get food from the market?

"How was work? Aeroa hesitated, "Uhm. Hi. I'm here.." She laughed at herself, but showed no sign of it except a smile, after the words left her mouth, she realized she could have ordered them a lot better. She could have started with the hi and then asked. That of course, was what she got for not engaging in conversation regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking out over the front room he heard the footsteps on the second floor, they were bare and made a soft 'pat' as they went along. For a moment Brandon wasn't sure what to think or do, while he had said Aeroa's name it hadn't quite sunk in that she would be the one to be walking down the upstairs hallway. For a moment he considered drawing his blade and then realized how silly it was to have called someone's name only to forget that they would be walking through their home.

Watching as she made herself visible Brandon almost gasped at the sight of her. She had obviously been to take a bath, her hands were busy drying her hair and keeping it dry. Strands of the beautiful silvery hair sticking out from underneath the towel. Her blue eyes met his own and she spoke, asking him about his day. Around her was one of his old shirts, blue, it went with the color of her eyes and while it was big on her... there was something comical and yet attractive about the whole thing. He shook his head once, realizing that she'd asked him a question.

"It was good, actually great. A man came by to pick up a beautiful engagement ring for his fiancé." He told her, it was a remarkable piece and one that made Brandon quite a bit of money. However it was a somewhat regular occurrence to have an older gentleman proposing to a beautiful young girl. He only knew that because she had been by one time looking at jewelry with the man. He'd wanted to get a taste of what she liked in jewelry. Once again it seemed that money talked to these beautiful girls. She hung on him at every moment as she picked out this and that, the man happily obliged.

And yet, standing in his home right now was the most beautiful girl he'd ever met and not once had she asked him to purchase anything for her, in fact he saw that the money was still left on the desk in the front hall. Instead of ask him for new clothes she's simply worn what she found. She was humble, sweet, and kind. It was refreshing and new... "It's good to see you Aeroa." Setting his cane down to lay against the wall he walked forward a little bit. "I have something for you, from an old friend of mine." He held up the small pouch with the fine chocolate in it.

He then waited for her to come down the stairs, "It's called chocolate, have you ever had it? It's supposed to be quite healthy." He told her with a smile and then shook his head, "You know we should get you some new clothes, that way you don't have to wear my old shirts. They seem a little big on you." He then laughed a little bit, she was rather small compared to him, and the shirt turned into more of a dress on her.

Aeroa watched, Brandon seemed distracted, and had to shake his head before he spoke. She looked around as if she might have missed something, maybe something behind her. But she saw nothing that seemed unusual. She smiled, at least he wasn't unhappy about her not having food out, or having done something noticeably wrong. It was a relief.

"A beautiful engagement ring?" She knew what they were, what they were used for, and why people used them. But she really didn't know what he did at work, what his job was, or how he made his money. So she tilted her head and thought about the possibilities. She had seen people sell jewelry at the markets, but she was sure there were many other jobs that included someone picking up a ring.

Brandon walked forward and she walked towards him to meet up with him. He held up a little pouch that obviously had something in it. She questioningly thought what would be in there, and he answered as if reading her mind. Chocolate. She had had it once before, it was quite a delicacy where she lived. The normal food were what was hunted, or grown. There weren't many trips to the market either, but one day her father had come back from a long journey and he had chocolate for her and her siblings. They all bounced with joy. The memory made her smile.

"Yes. I have. " She paused, of course she barely said anything. It was her nature, but she figured she could add to it. "Once, a long time ago." She laughed at herself, 'That sure was an attempt. Added a whole five words.' Aeroa decided maybe she would work on conversations in the future. But she took the last few steps towards Brandon so they weren't a large distance apart.

Brandon shook his head again, it seemed he was getting distracted quite easily. Maybe they were similar, maybe he was caught up in his own thoughts; that happened to her a lot. She could see that it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume that he too got lost in them. He commented on how she should have clothes of her own.

"Oh, it's okay. I don't mind.." She looked down at the shirt that she was wearing, it was big on her. She hesitated. "Only a little." She added joining in with Brandon's small laugh. She really didn't mind, but she did only have one pair of pants though, and his build was not like hers. She was more petite, and could not fit into his.. which posed a problem. She would at the least need another pair so that she could change into it when she needed to wash one. Aeroa's eyes drifted to the ground, it was odd, someone offering to buy something for her. She had made her own way for many years now and it seemed to make her attempt to be self-reliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
She was such a joy to be around it was, exciting to have someone like her around. She laughed, she smiled, and she always seemed so cute when she looked out of place. It was odd because he'd never thought that about a woman before. He'd never really experienced these sort of things. And yet he felt like this was only the beginning. There was a sense of this being just a dream, some celestial joke but he knew that she was the source. This house really didn't feel so empty anymore. And for once he really felt like he had something to do when he came home, be around his new friend. Yes, that's what they were! Friends... right?

She seemed to be looking at the floor for some reason she'd taken the chocolate from him, she hadn't eaten it though. Regardless she did need clothes and another trip to the market wouldn't be such a bad way to end the day. Looking around he was still in shock about the state of his home, "For someone who has mostly just roamed about you have cleaned this place exceptionally well... I think it looks even better than when I bought the home." He hoped some praise might cheer her up. Regardless she deserved the praise.

"I think this calls for a celebration," he announced waiting for a response from her, once he had it he walked back over to the desk. "As a thank you for the wonderful job you've done we'll go to the market and pick you out some clothes. That way you won't have to wear my shirts, not that you don't look good in them..." he added quickly and then realized he hadn't done much to alleviate his embarrassment. "We can have dinner in town, there is a really good place I know of, my treat, in celebration of our meeting."

Was that it? A celebration of their meeting? The words of Granny Sophie seemed to come back to haunt him as well as his own words that it was nothing more than him offering Aeroa a job. It certainly didn't feel like she was here to do a job and yet it was... odd. A little like her he supposed. Not the bad sort of odd, just odd. And he found himself minding that less and less.

Aeroa lifted her eyes and looked at the chocolate, she took and broke a piece off. She paused for a moment, remembering how it tasted those many many years ago. She put the piece in her mouth and her eyes widened a bit. It was far better than when she had first had it, or at the least, better than she remembered it being. No wonder people always ate it. She saw little kids begging for it. It was delicious and made her smile. She couldn't help but to go "Mmm" As she ate it. It melted in her mouth, and filled it with a taste that was far different than 'normal' food. She couldn't help but to eat all that was given to her, and her face showed her content. "Thank you. It's fantastic."

"Well, I do know how to clean.. It's probably the easiest!" She paused. "Just food.. I don't know how to cook much." She gave a little sigh, but hoped that maybe Brandon knew something and could help her out. So she didn't burn anything down... Brandon complimented her on how she looked in his shirt, and her shyness was quite visible through a slight tint of pink flushing into vision on her cheeks. Aeroa paused and looked at Brandon, he seemed quite happy, which was good. "A celebration? Dinner? Clothes?" She asked. It was a lot. She wasn't exactly sure the tasks she had done were worth so much. But as she questioned it in her head, she couldn't help but to smile. "Alright. In celebration of our meeting."

Aeroa thought about what it meant that she was going to the market, and getting dinner out in town. Well, clothes would be nice, maybe she could pick out something pretty. Of course, she didn't mind, anything would work. It was a little much that she was going to be getting clothes anyway. She wasn't exactly sure how to repay him for all the kind things he was doing; though she remembered she was a working for him. So she was comforted that it wasn't one sided. Getting dinner would be nice, having food, for the second day, that was odd.

"What place?" Aeroa asked, trying to talk more in this conversation, she was genuinely interested though she guessed that she would not be able to put a place to a name. Maybe she had passed it by before, or heard other people talking about it in the streets.

It was contagious to see her smiling like this, being this close, enjoying one another's company. If Brandon didn't know any better he had just asked her out on a date, a courting, call it whatever you want. He told himself that it was nothing he was just making sure his employees were taken care of. Yet was she really an employee? And what was so terrifying about all of this, what was so terrifying about Aeroa? She was beautiful sure, that alone could terrify even the toughest of men. Did he fear rejection? There went the other half of men. And yet the way she looked, the way she'd answered him he knew that while she was beautiful he didn't fear her. And rejection? She seemed to welcome the idea. She wasn't begging to have him buy anything for her, in fact he was quite sure she probably didn't want him to.

"It's called Le Agneau," he told her with a smile. It was a premier restaurant for the wealthy in town. However the man who owned the restaurant was a kind hearted man and those who needed food were given what was not eaten or used by the end of the night. It was one of the reasons that Brandon knew him, just as Granny Sophie had saved his life so had this man. In return Brandon had organized the entire restaurant to receive paintings to line the walls from the most prestigious artists in the city. Chef Ralph was so impressed with what Brandon had done that he ordered Brandon to return whenever he wished and that he would never have to pay.

Looking at her there was still a cute tint of blush on her cheeks, it made him smile as he looked at her. "Do you want to go dressed as you are or shall I wait for you to change? We will need to get you something to wear for the restaurant... I don't know what you like though so you'll need to pick something out." He told her with a light laugh, "Though I'm sure your beauty will not change no matter what you wear... even if it's one of my old shirts."

Aeroa was right, it was a place she had never heard of. The name sounded fancy, so she was guessing the food was going to be the same. Actually eating out somewhere was very odd for Aeroa, her family hadn't really had the extra spending money, they were well off, but some things were just a delicacy. Especially if it had to do too much with society and large crowds of people. Her mother taught her about how things worked with normal people, and how they were supposed to look and some of the ways they were supposed to act. A lot of the acting part was forgotten from never using those actions, but Aeroa knew how people were supposed to dress and appear.

"Well, I haven't really heard of it." She confessed, and paused "But it sounds good."

Aeroa took the towel and finished drying out her hair, it wasn't exactly dry, but it was no longer dripping wet. She excused herself for a moment as she went and put the used towel in the appropriate place. When she returned Brandon asked her if she wanted to get dressed. "Well, if you want, I'll change after the market.." She wasn't sure why she worded it that way, she assumed he probably didn't want her going into a fancy place like Le Agneau dressed in his old shirt, and pants from yesterday. Aeroa ran her fingers through her hair, to brush it out and let it fall into its natural place.

She looked fantastic albeit a little silly in his old shirt but she didn't seem to mind, at least for the moment. She calmly told him that she would change after they had been to the market. Now that Brandon was looking back on it, that was the logical idea. What clothes would she change into? "You're right, that would be the best idea." With that he went to the door and held it open for her waiting as he watched her silver hair fall naturally around her.

As they left his home he closed and locked his home, slipping the key into his pocket he straightened his suit wanting to look nice for Aeroa and then he looked at her. He realized that he'd found himself doing that a lot recently, more so then he'd like to admit especially to Granny Sophie. He'd never hear the end of it from her that her little grandson had found a young girl. Other times when he'd brought girls by they had regarded her as just another baker, that always annoyed him, they would treat a friend like that. And yet he couldn't see Aeroa doing anything but falling in love with Granny Sophie just as he had done. In turn Aeroa was unlike any other girl he'd brought to Granny Sophie's store and he could see Granny Sophie returning the love just as quickly. Perhaps he was jumping to conclusions but Brandon had found it harder and harder to be anything but happy around Aeroa.

Together they walked to the market, Brandon unconsciously left his arm open wide enough that if Aeroa had wanted she could attach their arms. Brandon becoming the proper escort to this 'date' that it seemed neither wanted to admit. The market of Gratanis never seemed to slow down, it was still bustling with various people. Several greeted Brandon by name and asked who the girl was that was with him, he always talked for a little bit, introduced Aeroa.

Brandon had soon gleaned a recommendation for a clothing store for women and he began to make their way there. It was an older looking shop which told him that they'd been in business for some time. The store window had beautiful gowns, dresses, blouses, pants, and shoes. Once again he opened the door for Aeroa to let her inside. It was the gentlemanly thing to do.

Aeroa followed Brandon out of the door. He seemed to look at her a lot recently, she had noticed. He straightened his clothing. He was just generally happy, and though Aeroa wasn't completely sure she figured he probably wasn't as happy before he met her. Though after thinking about it, she was probably wrong, what was so special about her? Her hair wasn't like anyone else's nor were her eyes, but she doubted that was the reason he was so happy. Aeroa found herself smiling more. She figured it was polite, but she knew that wasn't the only reason, she was happy to be around someone so caring, nice, and well handsome too.

Aeroa walked beside Brandon, she generally looked out at all the people that were walking about. Some people unhappy, others busy with their own minds, some walking with friends, some couples, and some seemed to almost dance as they walked they were so happy. Aeroa herself couldn't help but being happy. Sure Brandon was making her dependent on him in the way of buying things, but she had to admit that she did need clothing, and dinner would be nice.. She couldn't help but to be drawn closer to Brandon. She noticed a gap between Brandon's arm and himself. One that seemed like an opening for her. She had seen many people walking together before, with their arms attached, so to speak. She knew that her mother said a man in society was supposed to escort the lady. It was odd to Aeroa, but so were a lot of things. Aeroa put her arm around Brandon and looked at him. Making sure she hadn't done something she wasn't supposed it.

Aeroa's mind was barely left to wander because as they were walking about, many people stopped them. Some old, some young, some middle aged. Brandon seemed to know a lot of people in Gratanis. She was pretty impressed, it seemed like he remembered a lot of people and names. Aeroa knew she would not be able to remember everyone. "How do you know so many people?" She asked him quietly as they walked through the streets.

After finding a clothing store, and old looking one, Brandon had opened the door to let Aeroa in. She let go of his arm, and walked passed. "Thank you."

Aeroa walked in and the smell of clean clothes filled her senses. She saw some of the most prettiest articles of clothing, and some that she questioned if anyone could possibly like. Aeroa glanced around but waited for Brandon to walk up by her. She glanced at him and around, she wasn't exactly sure how having someone buy something for you worked. She was sure there were some guidelines to it, but she decided that she wouldn't pick anything she herself wouldn't buy. She walked to the nearest article that caught her attention, and as so, a woman about Aeroa's age, maybe a tad younger approached.

"Hello! Welcome. I'm Karon. How may I help you?" She asked in a peppy tone.

Aeroa glanced around. She wasn't exactly sure what to say. Maybe the girl could help her with everything. Sit her down and give her a lesson on city life. The do's and don'ts, the things she hadn't learned before. At least what was new to her. "Uhm. Well, not that I know of.." She took a look down at a shirt, it was simple, loose and the color went from white, and faded down into black. It was pretty. Material hung loosely about the collar, and was designed to be longer than a normal blouse. Aeroa picked it up and remembered that shirts came in sizes, and she knew she was a small. She checked the price, it wasn't too expensive, and was relatively cheap. Aeroa's tone was soft, and uncertain. "May I get this?" he asked, not quite sure what she could get or not. If so, she was going to wear it to dinner, as well as a skirt that she had found. It would go a little passed the knee if she had put it on. It was grey and the bottom was hemmed with a darker grey, and beautiful blue roses. Aeroa did a little more browsing as she glanced over at Brandon. Karon added commentary on clothing that Aeroa picked out. Aeroa enjoyed it, and laughed when Karon laughed. Maybe being around people wasn't so bad after-all. Aeroa introduced herself, and she picked a two more shirts and pants.

Aeroa didn't want him spending a lot on her, but she knew she would atleast have to have something to wear. Three pairs of clothing was perfectly fine for her. "Okay." She said as if to tell Brandon she was done picking out clothing. And Karon, who had stayed around in case she was needed, lead them up to the counter. Aeroa noticed an extravagant dress out of the corner of her eye. And she couldn't help but to walk over and look at it. It was one shoulder, and a beautiful, soft looking green. It was floor length and decorated with flower designs. She couldn't help but to look at it, it felt silky under her touch, light, and beautiful. It seemed to shimmer in the light, not an overly powerful glitter but a soft, delicate shimmer. But she shook her head, she knew she couldn't have something like that. If anything she'd be horrified to let him buy it for her. But maybe one day she would come back and get it herself.

As Brandon entered the shop right behind Aeroa suddenly he felt somewhat naked. It had been such a pleasant surprise for him when she'd taken a hold of his arm. Allowed him to escort her through the town like they were a couple. Of course the idea of them courting one another still seemed so strange to him. And yet he could only think of how proud he'd been to have her on his arm. Such a beautiful young woman. She was of course shy around his friends but she didn't know any of them, besides she didn't seem to be much of a social butterfly. And yet... he didn't mind at all because when she talked it was with purpose. The conversations that they'd had over the past few days were amazing.

Looking over to where Aeroa was he watched her for a moment, once again she seemed very shy, as if she were trying to pick out what might not be so expensive or what might be good enough. Thinking back to how he'd been before, back when he was roaming the streets to be invited into a store like this for men and told that he could have whatever he'd like. It would be quite the task to pick out what he needed. And that was it, he wouldn't have let himself get anything more than he needed because when you were on the streets wants were a long way away. What you needed from day to day was what drove you forward and brought you to any work that you could find.

Aeroa had picked out a few pieces, it was hard for Brandon to imagine what they would look like on her but they looked beautiful as they were. She seemed to indicate that she was done. The young girl which had helped her out happily went to the counter to arrange a payment. Brandon drew forth the small coin purse at his waist and began to barter for the clothing. It was then that he noticed Aeroa was no where nearby. Looking up he glanced around the store and found her in front of a beautiful green gown. Her hair seemed to accent the soft green, looking over at the girl who'd introduced herself as Karon, they both shared a smile. Brandon placed the entire coin purse on the counter, she looked in and just nodded. Not a word was spoken. It seemed that Karon wanted to see Aeroa in the dress as well and of course three sets of clothes just didn't seem to be enough.

Taking Aeroa's hand she muttered a quick come on, then she pulled her towards the back of the store and out of view. She wouldn't take no for an answer and then smiled, having Aeroa step up onto a pedestal Karon went to go get the dress from the front of the store. Brandon had simply made himself comfortable while he waited. Karon returned with the dress almost immediately.

Aeroa, was just about to turn around when Karon had walked up to her, grabbed her by the hand and practically pulled her to the back of the store. Aeroa wasn't exactly sure why, it didn't set into her mind that it was to try something on until she was up on a pedestal. And the only thing Aeroa could think of to try on was that dress that she was looking at. Aeroa protested, "No. It's fine. I don't want it." She tried to convince them, but she couldn't help but to add, "...that much. I can work for it. Really, I can wait." She protested. "You can't possibly. It's expensive. Far too much."

Karon wasn't hostile, but was determined to get Aeroa into the dress. After a bit more protesting Aeroa glanced over at Brandon, and her protesting stopped. "Okay.." She finally gave in as Karon sized up Aeroa, and put pins into various places on the dress. It was true, it needed touch-ups. Aeroa was a tad more petite, but shaped finely for it, areas that were snug were marked to be loosened a tad. It was going to be the dress that flaunted the best parts, and in this type of dress, it was all the best part. Aeroa could not help but to feel that she did not deserve such a dress. It was beautiful, amazing, and magnificent. It was far too expensive, but with the sense that she shouldn't have it, came a great over-joy of owning it. It would be hers, and she was utterly grateful; she had never owned anything that beautiful in all her life.

"Thank you." She said to Brandon after the alterations were completed. Aeroa gave a full smile, "Thank you, a lot. I love it. I really do. I owe you so much.." She said. There was no way to give him a full thanks for the price he had just paid on her behalf. Aeroa drew him into a small hug, and then blushed. "I'm sorry." She added. "I'm just.. It's amazing."

It seemed that just like he would have done she tried to put up a fight, however she gave in to the demands, saying that she'd work for it and pay for it. It was too expensive and all that. Brandon just smiled and continued to just sit and enjoy. She was so cute and honest, humble and beautiful. She was just right to him in more ways than one. And when he came to that realization it was like a light turned on in his head and yet... he wasn't sure how she felt about all this. Of course she wasn't thinking about such deep and silly things at the moment. Aeroa was far to caught up in the idea of owning the beautiful dress that she had looked at.

Once she was done she came over to him as Karon finished up the pinning which would guide her needle through the work of making sure that the dress was as exquisite on the beautiful Aeroa as possible. Brandon watched as Aeroa came up to him and gave him a hug. It was the warmest hug he'd ever received, almost like he could feel her appreciation for him radiating from her petite form. Wrapping his arms around her he smiled, "You're welcome, there is no need to be sorry." He laughed and squeezed tighter not really wanting this to end. But all good things must and he slowly let go. "However as payment..." he began, waiting for some sort of reaction, "you will need to accompany me to the Lueur Nouveau festival in two days. And you must wear that dress, is it agreeable?" He held out his hand as if making a business agreement. When had he gotten this silly? Was that Aeroa's charm, to have him lose his mind?

Karon waited to interrupt and tell them that the dress would be done early in the day of the Lueur Nouveau festival. She could come pick it up then. "And if you'd like Aeroa, if you have time of course. You can stop by my shop and help me out. It'd be nice to have another set of eyes on your dress." Karon looked at Aeroa almost expectantly but would be fine if the answer was no.

After they were done they headed back to Brandon's home, Brandon had carried the clothes which they'd gotten back home. All except the dress which would have to stay at the shop until it was finished. Brandon gave the clothes to her so that she could take them and change. "I'll wait for you down here." He told her with a smile.

Aeroa enjoyed the warmth of the hug, which seemed to hit her after it was over. She had been so busy being embarrassed by her affection that she didn't take the time to notice how nice of a hug it really was. Brandon had started to make a proposal of payment, which caught Aeroa's attention. She was convinced she would do almost anything to make up for its cost. She listened, but as made his proposal it was quite simple, a meager payment in comparison. Aeroa had never been to a festival before, and especially not one that sounded that fancy. "Yes. Yes of course I'll go.. Though that is hardly payment enough." she insisted. Aeroa noticed his hand being held out, an agreement of course. So took it, complying, and giving a smile.

"Well, if Brandon doesn't mind, I would love to." Aeroa replied, while giving Brandon a questioning glance. It was his house she would be leaving, and she would be doing work until meeting up with Karon.

Aeroa asked Brandon if she should carry the clothes, but he picked them up and carried them. She gave a small smile and a shake of her head, he was far too nice. Far too kind. Unlike anyone before. His eyes, so deep and attractive. His posture of one with dignity, someone who knew hard work and deserved every good thing brought to him. He was simply great, amazing. Aeroa couldn't imagine how she had possibly been so lucky to meet such a man, she never would have guessed what that night would eventually lead to. Aeroa happily took the clothes from Brandon once they reached the home, but he was smiling. Happy again, why this time? She wondered. She returned a smile before walking in. She put her extra clothes in the room she was staying in, which she guessed she could call her own.

Aeroa took the clothing she had picked out specially for dinner and put them on. Looking down at herself she couldn't help but to feel pretty, it was odd seeing herself in new clothing. It was odd not having bought it herself. Aeroa put her other clothes aside, and Brandon's shirt so they could be washed later. She was sure now was not the proper time. "How did this ever happen?" She asked herself before walking out of the door. "It's far too great."

Aeroa left the house, and rejoined Brandon who was waiting for her. He was patient, kind.. sweet. "Hi, again." She said happily as a breeze tugged gently on her blouse and skirt. Her hair wiped to the side, following the pull. Aeroa was glad they were going to dinner, she was getting a bit hungry, but she told herself, she would eat far less than last time. She was basically starving before, so now it would be easy to eat only a decent amount.

There was a wonderful breeze out that evening and the sun was just beginning to set beautifully on the horizon. Brandon wondered how he'd come to this point in his life, all of the things leading up to this home, this town, the people that he knew and loved. It was all so happy for him and now there seemed to him, something greater. Something even more desirable in Aeroa. Her smile was enough to light his day, her attitude enough to remind him of the value of being humble and thankful, and her beauty seemed to fill his thoughts with pleasant images. However they also brought questions about how she felt about him, how long she would stay, she seemed to be enjoying herself quite a bit. But was that enough?

It wasn't long before she exited the home, he heard her footsteps before he could see her. Turning to her he let his jaw nearly drop to the ground. She looked completely different and yet, she looked just as beautiful. The wind seemed to frame her face with her wispy hair like a silver halo. Her sweet voice permeated the air in front of him sweetly as she spoke a greeting. There wasn't anything that came to mind, for once in a long time he couldn't think of a single thing to say. The only words that he managed to speak were, "You look beautiful, Aeroa..."

Once he realized that he'd spoken and the words would hang in the air for her to hear he smiled, trying to remain cool he shook his head. "You look great Aeroa," with that he straightened his own coat and offered his arm in escort to her so that they could head to the restaurant. "Are you ready to go?" In his mind he knew that he would be the envy of the town and yet... how did Aeroa feel? That seemed most important to him.

They took their time heading down the streets as the sun set and the lamp lighters began their work. The streets soon glowed with firelight and the nightlife of the town came out of every corner. Brandon smiled over at Aeroa, just watching her for a moment as they rounded the corner. In front of them a large single story building expanded in front of them, the words "Le Agneau" hung over the doorway on an ornate cast iron background. The smell of beautifully cooked vegetables, meats, pastas, and breads wafted through the air. An extremely well dressed old man greeted them at the door. A quizzical look on his eyes before smiling, recognizing the young boy. He didn't say a word, knowing that Brandon was an honored guest at the establishment. Walking in with them he led them along the floor of the restaurant. The ceilings were high and the entire place seemed to radiate with bright linens and finery. The glasses were polished and the silverware ornate. The tablecloths were pristine and the entire dining room seemed to emanate luxury. The old man indicated a table, to which Brandon pulled Aeroa's chair out for her. "I'll be sure to let Chef Ralph know you are here... thank you again for the paintings that you donated." The old man gestured around the room, "They add much elegance."

Brandon nodded and smiled, "I owe the man my life, it was the least I could do." Brandon then happily sat down across from Aeroa, the old man went off and a young waiter came forward a bottle of fine red wine in hand. Brandon nodded and the man filled his glass, he then turned to Aeroa, "Mademoiselle?"

Aeroa noticed Brandon's jaw had fallen a-gap. She smiled sweetly, and noticed that Brandon was again straightening out his clothing. Aeroa gave a little laugh when Brandon shook his head and reworded his compliment. "I think the first compliment, was best." She commented happily. Aeroa confirmed that she was ready to go, and noticed he again offered his arm to escort her. She was actually kind of hoping he would. She wrapped her arm around his, this kept her quite near to him during the walk. Which she enjoyed. She felt safer around Brandon, more relaxed, happier.

Aeroa couldn't help but to notice the brilliance of the night, everything seemed to be shining more than suual. The sun was setting, the way the colors looked like a water painting seemed to distract Aeroa. The lamps of the streets were soon lit, and even though it was as dark as could be, the town was so lit up that it was almost like day. The walk was slow and enjoyable.

Finally they had rounded the last corner of their walk, and before them stood a tall elegant building. The design of the exterior was only a glimpse of the extravagant interior. It was a fancy place, one Aeroa had never seen the likes of before. It was unique, and upon entering she felt that only the richest would be here. It was not a place for the poor, she could tell. The smells upon entering made her mouth water, the food had to be delicious. She let the smell drive her imagination of the taste of the food. They were led to a table, and Brandon chivalrously pulled her chair for her. She smiled and gave him a thanks. She enjoyed the little things, the simple gestures. They meant a lot, they were simple, but meaningful. He sat across from her. She couldn't help but to smile, one of the nicest men that had probably ever existed was sitting across from her.. yet again, paying for something for her. His golden hair seemed to radiate in the light, his eyes accentuated by his hair and dark suit. She couldn't help but to look into his eyes, they were still inviting, but also happy, and he seemed pleased. If they were the portal into his soul, then his soul would be represented accurately.

The question that was asked as the man looked at her threw her off. She didn't understand at first. It wasn't common to be called Mademoiselle, and so it took her a few moments before she realized she was supposed to answer. She had seen that Brandon had nodded, and so she did the same. Trying to be as proper as possible, but she added a "Please." As she did.

Brandon had small talk with the old man, it was about donating the paintings. Aeroa was interested. "Uhm, earlier you mentioned we were coming here.. you donated all those pictures?" She asked, genuinely interested. She had noticed that conversation with Brandon had begun to get easier and easier, there were some times were she felt she spoke too little, but she still manged.

Status
Not open for further replies.