Secret Lives (Taken)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seemed that Aeroa had been listening to their conversation which seemed to spur his remembrance of the fact that she still did not know what it was that he did all day. Perhaps that's why she had a questioning tone when he talked about the engagement ring. Looking around the room at each and every one of the pictures and then his eyes rested on the prettiest picture of them all which sat right across the table. Nodding to answer her question he took a sip of the wine, it was dry and bitter, he'd forgotten to ask what the wine was before he accepted. They always wanted to give him the most expensive and it never quite got his taste going. Chef Ralph only laughed at him and told him that he needed to acquire the taste for fine wine.

"I never told you what it is that I do, did I?" He began with a rhetorical question before placing his arms on the table and leaning in slightly. "I'm a merchant of fine art and jewelry. I build relationships with artists in the town and find buyers for their work or commissions for them to work on to make more money." Smiling he waited a moment before continuing. "When I was younger I met an artist we got to be very good friends, his name is Demetri, I'll take you to meet him sometime. When I met him he was just starting out and I decided I'd help him. I began talking to people enticing them to take a look at Demetri's work. I soon found out I had an interest in art. Not as an artist but in selling it to other people. I love looking at beautiful pieces and helping them to find the right homes for the right place."

"And what a fine home they have found themselves in, my boy!" A large hand clasped down on top of Brandon's shoulder. A large and rotund man, clean shaven, and with a hat which was almost as tall as the head upon which it stood. Brandon's mouth stretched wide into a smile as he began to get up, however the larger man kept him in placed and then decided to sit down right next to them. His sparkling dark eyes coming to rest on Aeroa, "Excuse me, I did not mean to interrupt such a beautiful lady in the middle of her conversation..." His voice became low as he looked straight into Aeroa's eyes. He took her hand gingerly and kissed the back of it. "Tell me, did Brandon speak about how we met? He was nothing more than a starving orphan," his voice became much more dramatic in tone and character. "I took pity on him, gave him some food to feed his growling stomach. Little did I know that this young boy would come to help start my restaurant one day. These paintings have brought in so many customers, it gives me an edge over the competition, I cannot thank you enough... which is why your meal is on me."

"And what is on the meal for this evening my friend?" Brandon looked at the chef, it seemed almost comical to wear such a large hat.

"How about I surprise you both? A special meal for a special friend and his especially beautiful guest..." He winked at Aeroa before standing up.

Brandon began to laugh before getting the final word in, "Make sure there is plenty, she has quite an appetite!"

It was an interesting story, very nice, and unsurprising. It fit. Brandon, of course, molded by his life, turned into the gentleman he was. "It doesn't surprise me." She paused, "It seems like something that you would do. I'm glad you helped him in his time of need." Aeroa added to the rotund man. It was pleasant to have such a refreshing person, as Brandon, in her life, and she appreciated the people that help get him there, almost as much as she appreciated him.. He was amazing. A love of art. It's intricate nature, it could be abstract, simple, plain, striking and beautiful. Of course it was something that he got into. 'Giving home to lost pieces of art.' She thought. Didn't seem too odd.

The man that had appeared was large, and clean. He showed of clear status, but apparently it was with Brandon's aid. The man wore a tall, white hat, it was almost funny to see. Aeroa couldn't help but to smile at it. He gave her a wink upon calling her a beautiful guest, which she gave a smile as thanks. There were so many people Brandon knew, and it seemed that not only did they help shape Brandon's life but he helped shape theirs. It was sweet, to have a hometown, full of people that were like family, that had basically shared a life with you. One life, not two, because having relationships like that were like sharing a life. The thought made Aeroa smile, because maybe she too could share a life with these people.

Brandon joked about Aeroa's appetite, which made her blush with embarrassment. But she laughed too, because he was only teasing and it was true. "It was an appetite fit for a wanderer," Almost sophisticated, "but it seems that that is no longer the case." She added, smiling and laughing at her own jest of sophistication. It wasn't a satire to sophistication, but it made her aware of her respect for it. Before she almost despised wealthy people, they were always so greedy, and arrogant, they never learned the true nature of life. They were always so oblivious, but Brandon wasn't. He was a saint, and an angel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chef Ralph may not have caught it, why would he? And Aeroa might not have even realized that she'd said it either. Or perhaps she did and wanted him to know, to still his troubled mind on the subject. Yet Brandon heard every word that came out of her mouth accepted it as a gift and blessing. Perhaps he should speak to the moon more often. It seemed that when you made a wish it had a funny way of coming true for you. She had said that she was a wanderer but that was not longer the case. It meant that she would be staying with him, staying in Gratanis. Somewhere in the dark corners of his mind he knew that there was the possibility that she wouldn't stay, the wanderers life he had heard was a strange one. You couldn't stay for too long in the same place because you just got restless. Perhaps that was still the case, perhaps the wanderers life would call her again, but the way she said it... he believed her.

Smiling Chef Ralph stood and bowed for them both, then he walked off to disappear into the kitchen. Turning he looked at Aeroa, she had opened up it seemed. She was talking more tonight than last night. Perhaps she really was getting more comfortable here. "Thank you," he told her as he took another sip of the wine. "For coming out with me tonight and for trusting a strange man who stumbled upon you." He wasn't sure any other way of putting it but he wanted to thank her for just being there. For her smile, her eyes, her laugh, her understanding nature, her humility... in the short time he'd known her she'd exhibited everything he could have ever hoped for. Was it too soon? Perhaps, but at this point, Brandon felt like everything was going well.

The first course of the meal arrived, the same waiter from before seemed to dance his way around the table. It was like he walked on air, with a smile and flair he placed two bowls of soup in front of them. The first which he placed in front of Aeroa was a hearty fish stew known as a Bouillabaisse, it was slightly spicy with large chunks of fish and mussels. In front of Brandon he placed a sweet chestnut soup with plenty of vegetables. Shaking his head Brandon smiled, "Granny Sophie must have been talking, telling him to make sure I get my vegetables." Looking over at her he smiled, "You definitely got the better deal, it's phenomenal soup."

Aeroa smiled, "Of course. No problem. I just.." She paused, "It is nice. Far too nice, thank you instead." She commented. It was true, he had been far more nice than she deserved she was sure of it.

Aeroa watched as the waiter danced, she could not help but to be filled with awe. How he tilted, the way he moved, how everything stayed in place as he seemingly danced, wove in and out of the table and chair maze. How the bowls ended up right in front of them, perfectly intact and not spilled everywhere. It appeared that Brandon had received vegetable soup and she had gotten a fish stew. It looked excruciatingly appetizing, and the smell of it made Aeroa wish to down every once of it. She looked down at the utensils, she realized there were far more than necessary, so she grabbed one that seemed to fit the shape and size that she wanted. They must have been personalized she guessed, so that someone with a smaller hand or mouth wouldn't have to use a big spoon, or something of that sort. Normal people were funny in that way.

Aeroa had been caught by a name in Brandon's comment. "Granny Sophie?" She asked, it was the first time she had heard that name, but it sounded like a name of endearment. Granny she knew wasn't used for everyone, maybe the mother of your mother, but that was as far as she knew it went. And if it were, most were only called grandmothers, as far as Aeroa knew. Granny seemed far more personal, and endearing. "Keeping more things from me?" She asked in a playful tone. She knew there was a lot she didn't know about him, and a lot more he probably didn't know about her. But she was getting the hang of conversation and how to act around people. It was appropriate to make jokes, and to laugh and to be laughed at. It was fine to point things out playfully. It was peculiar, that she had only known the man a short time and yet he seemed to be peeling away the parts of her that were usually up. The quiet, shy disposition, the distance from civilization, the wandering. Oh how she missed the smell of the air when entering a new area. How scenery could change so instantly, how the grass felt under her feet when she wasn't wearing shoes. Or even how sleeping in a tree felt. They were all simple joys. He was helping her develop in society, something she never thought she would be apart of, nor thought could be so nice, or even be quite as enjoyable.

Aeroa carefully ate from her bowl of soup, she was careful to eat it slowly, trying not to finish hers before Brandon finished his. It was a lovely stew. It had just the right flavors, and a little kick. She loved the fish and mollusks, it was like having a normal food, but enhanced. Things were added to make it better, savored with just the right ingredients to give it the final touch that she made her enjoy each bite. "This is pretty great." She commented after taking a bite.

Laughing lightly at her joke he shook his head, "I suppose I am, but I don't mean to." He told her before taking a bite of his soup, he stopped for a moment to close his eyes. Perhaps Granny Sophie had the right idea, Brandon could get used to vegetables like this. He looked across the table at Aeroa who seemed to be deciding what spoon to use. He'd forgotten that she might not be used to such elaborate table manners. He didn't mind one bit what she chose to use, but a few pointers might help. After his story of course, besides it seemed like she'd managed to pick the correct soup spoon.

"Don't get me wrong, I loved my foster family and they loved me... but they had so many children that they couldn't feed everyone. I was on my own for a meal a lot. Granny Sophie found me one day, it was cold and in winter. They snow had just started to fall and it was beautiful. However I was hungry, too hungry to move and she nearly tripped over me. I apologized and tried my best to move out of her way so she could pass. She smiled and continued on her way." He stopped for a moment shivering as he remembered how cold it was, "The storm only got worse, bringing more and more snow but I didn't have the energy to go anywhere. I felt, for just a moment that all hope was lost and that I was just going to curl up and die..." looking up at her he hesitated, this was hardly proper dinner conversation. Yet if he stopped now there would be no point. "About that time I heard the crunch of feet moving through the snow and wondered who'd be crazy enough to be out in this weather. A then felt a warm coat fall over my shoulders, a firm hand gripped me by the wrist, and dragged me a ways into a home. I was so hungry and dizzy that I didn't really know where I was going until I smelled bread. My mouth watered and she shoved a loaf of fresh bread into my frozen hands. They thawed almost instantly and I devoured the bread. I heard a raspy laugh and then looked to see the old woman who'd tripped over me."

Taking another few bites of soup the warmth seemed to spread through him much like the bread had that day. "I was more than grateful to work for her that night and almost every day after that, she would make the bread and I would knead it, then we'd stick it in the oven. It was warm and fulfilling work that kept me out of trouble. And after the day was done we'd sit and talk over tea, from then on she was my Granny Sophie." With his tale finished he just smiled and ate a few more bites of soup. "Sorry, that was kind of dark for dinner conversation."
Brandon savored every bite of soup in the bowl and soon had it empty, the waiter came out as soon as they were done. He collected what they had left and disappeared into the back. After a little bit he made his way back out to them, this time he stopped as he set a beautiful plate in front of Aeroa, "This is a fillet steak, with sautéed onions, a combination of white and green asparagus, and a golden russet mash potato." Placing the food in front of her and smiled and then moved to Brandon's side. "Here we have a braised venison, served with broccoli, carrots, and a cauliflower puree, enjoy..." with that he left them to their conversation.

Aeroa could tell that the question she had asked, went a little deep into his past. And by a little deep, it was very deep. About how days were for him, how he was starving.. near death. How horrible. Aeroa could remember some of the more difficult days of her times wandering, but it was never to that extent. Sure some days were cold, sure some days she didn't eat but she always seemed to manage. But she was different than him.. very different. She couldn't help but to realize that in some ways, she was like a wild animal running freely through the wilderness, and all along he stayed in one area. Ready to die there. It was a touching story, it moved her, made her a little sad. Made her grateful that she hadn't had that kind of encounter with death. Made her wish to thank Granny Sophie, Aeroa felt grateful to her. It wasn't even her life that she saved and Aeroa wanted to tell her what an amazing person she was. It made Aeroa realize there were some really great people in this town, and she began to see why people could live together in an area. Why wouldn't you? When everyone around you is like a beacon of light,a ray oh hope, a pathway to an opportunity. She realized that he had hesitated, she hung onto every word, she didn't want to miss anything, but she felt sorry for asking. Maybe it was better to not make him pry up the past.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize it was such a dark subject. But I don't mind the conversation." She paused, "I enjoy it, I like to know more about you." She said smiling, trying to bring a smile to his face. "It sounds like she was an amazing person."

Aeroa was surprised to see another plate of food being placed in front of them both. She had a steak, that seemed to have other things around ti delicately. Asparagus, and a mash potato. It was really fancy food, far more than she was used to. It was delicious, the look of it, the taste of it, the smell they were all delicious. "Thank you for bringing me here." Aeroa added as she looked at Brandon, he really was quite the man. A looker, a charmer, an all around nice person. She enjoyed it.

Her smile always seemed to brighten the moment and when she told him that he had an interest in what his past was. And yet he realized he knew very little about her. Judging about how the talk about her past had gone before this he wondered if she wanted to bring those memories back with her. Perhaps he could try and find something that wouldn't cause her to bring up those painful memories. The food gave him time to think though as he looked down at the venison, it was practically gleaming as he took his dinner fork and his knife to cut it. Lifting the small piece to his mouth he just smiled as he tasted the beautifully gamey meat. IT was cooked to perfection, nothing less than what he'd expect from Chef Ralph.

Looking up as she thanked him he smiled once again, "It's my pleasure Aeroa, I'm glad that I have such good company with me." He told her truthfully and realized just how great this evening had been. There was not a whole lot of money involved, not a whole lot of awkward moments, it just was. And Brandon was comfortable with this girl.

"So tell me," he figured since he'd shared some of his past it was time that he got a little bit more information out of her. There was very little that he actually knew about her, where she was from. He didn't want to detract from dinner so he decided to pick something that hopefully wouldn't bother her too much. "Where all have you been? Tell me a little bit more about you... Have there been any places that you'd want to visit again?" Perhaps this wasn't the greatest question if he didn't want to incite her wanderlust but... Brandon was curious.

Aeroa had a small amount of difficult with cutting the steak, it was awkward for her to eat that way, but she tried her best to be as mannerly as possible. Brandon had begun to inquire about the things she had done, but more so of where she went. and that in Aeroa's mind was basically what she had done. She took a moment, enjoying the delicious taste of her steak, and allowing herself time to think, then she spoke.

"Well, I've been all over." She started, but she realized that she couldn't let her horrible conversation skills kick in now. "I don't really know a lot of the names of the places I have been. I usually just pass through. I'd say on my journey my most favorite place, that I appreciated the most was a lovely little hike. I was walking along a typical path and saw a far less traveled one, it led up and so I followed it. It took me out onto a cliff. I could hear the loud roar of rushing water, and I looked to locate it. It was a giant beautiful waterfall. The sun was setting and the purple, pink, orange and blue hues of the sky ever so slightly tinted the water. It was like watching a rainbow fall. Oh, it was beautiful. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but I believe it was something like Boely Falls. I never understood it really." Aeroa paused remembering the view that she had of the waterfall, being right next to it, and then making her way around it to be able to look at the rushing water head on. She grinned, "I've been through many valleys, and jungles. The things you can see out there. There are so many sights, and so many things that can catch your eye." Upon thinking about it, Aeroa realized that maybe she did want to venture back to a few places, see those sights again, relive them. "Yes. I would love to see Boely Falls again, maybe take a longer hike, the terrain was just outstanding.." Aeroa took another bite from her steak, then her potato.

"I've been to the city of Raflourre. It was very pristine, everything was intricate and carefully designed. The people there weren't all that amazing.." Aeroa realized she could talk about the places she had visited all day, and probably even longer. "Well, my journey started way back, around Sutter Springs, and I travelled south and west, and east, making a giant trail to well, here. I've visited almost every place in between. It's a really long distance, and even longer if you take the path that I did." Aeroa smiled. "I don't think I'd ever go back to the place I started, but many other places, yes. A lot of them are very beautiful. It's great to go through a deep green forest, insects around, animals becoming brave enough to approach. To lay in the grass, or to climb a tree. It's very difficult to get bored in exquisite places."

There it was, that was the lively Aeroa he'd been waiting to see. It seemed that giving her a chance to talk about all the places that she'd been was a great way of getting her to talk. Brandon simply took his venison in slowly, bite by bite as she talked about her journeys. One place in particular held his interest it seemed familiar to him in some way. The way that she talked about Boely fall it sounded amazing, picturesque, and soothing. That was the kind of wandering which Brandon would like to enjoy. It was strangely alluring to him and he found himself letting his mind wander and painting a picture in his head.

There he was on the cliff that she'd described, the sun beating down upon him brightly. Not enough to be uncomfortable because there was a breeze and the cool spray of the waterfall as it's mist covered the area. As he followed the path down to the waterfall he realized something, there next to him was the petite and beautiful Aeroa. The smile on her face was priceless and he could only smile back. And then he realized that he couldn't imagine this place being as beautiful without her nearby. The way she described it, it was like she belonged there... it was odd.

And then she spoke of the path that she took to get to Gratanis, starting from Sutter Springs, he'd never even heard of that place but it sounded wonderful. She talked of the city of Raflourre. He'd read about such a city, it's buildings pristine and a culture which thought itself superior. It was no wonder that an outsider like Aeroa had felt unwelcome. Yet, how could they if they got to know her? She was far too kind to ignore he felt like. But then again... these feelings he had for her could play some part of his biased attitude.

"They all sound amazing... you seem to know quite a bit about where you've been." He told her before taking a bite of the puree, he waited until he'd finished the bite and then spoke again. "I would love to see Boely falls, yet it sounds so familiar. Like I've seen it before but I know that I've never left this town. A hike sounds amazing though. There are a few places around here that are good hikes." He told her thinking of a few off the top of his head.

Once again the waiter was timed perfectly well, he had allowed them to continue their conversation for a little while longer before he swooped in like some fancy bird of prey. Taking their plates he nodded to them both and then disappeared once more. After a few minutes he came back with a single dessert in his hand. Setting the pristine white dish down, it's top was a perfect caramel brown, underneath was a perfectly cooked creamy looking thing. It smelled sweet and delicious, "And a dessert to share for you both." He said, "This is our famous crème brulee, enjoy."

Brandon picked up the smaller dessert spoon and then motioned towards the dessert, "Ladies first, Aeroa."

"I know a bit." She said, almost radiating with joy from the recollections alone, "They were all amazing." She finished the rest of her steak. "Well, that's odd, maybe you've dream about it, or seen paintings?" She inquired. "And well, maybe we should go on a hike. It could be fun." She offered.

She could imagine taking a hike with Brandon, though the way it went in her head was probably depicted incorrectly. She could see herself gracefully climbing over a thick fallen tree on the path they had taken, and watching from the other side at Brandon, in his suit because she couldn't picture him in anything else, trying to find the easiest way over. He would inspect the tree, look for a way around it, maybe even debating using his sword on it. And she'd laugh, and offer to help him, clearing seeing his struggle on his face.. And having the soul that he did, he would agree, and she would help him over. He wasn't too good to accept help. Aeroa had learned that, from all the people that had helped him get to where he was. And she would be laughing the whole time. Because that was all she could see him doing. But upon thinking about it, it seemed horribly wrong. She had only ever seen Brandon act gracefully, calmly, and coolly. Well, that was until he started to get to know her. Then she noticed a few ticks. Where he'd stare, or get distracted, or constantly fix his suit. Aeroa smiled thinking about it. She was having more fun since she was saved than in a long time.

Before Aeroa knew it there was a dessert in front of her, but there weren't separate plates, there was one. The one that the dessert was on. Aeroa, upon hearing its name realized how little she knew of foods, she hadn't really known anything that she had ate, was there a fancy name for it all? Aeroa watched Brandon pick up a small spoon, and she looked down at her own assortment. She hesitated for a moment, and then guessed which one looked about the same size. She almost inspected it without intending. Brandon had told her ladies first.. was she just supposed to take her spoon and dig in? It seemed so odd. At such a fancy place, to not have separate plates. Was this proper? Well, what did she care, she wasn't proper to begin with. She smiled, "Thank you." She said taking a small spoonful of the delicious smelling dessert from her side.

That seemed the most likely, he'd seen it in a dream or in a painting... how interesting that he would remember something like that. The more that Brandon thought about it the more he realized that there wouldn't have really been an opportunity to dream about it. Why would he had dreamed about waterfalls? Other than the daydream he'd just had. And yet that had felt so real and so natural. It was amazing to see how life might have been. What he could have been had he chosen to wander instead of stay in Gratanis. He loved the city but the adventurous life seemed somewhat fulfilling to him as well... could he deal without his money now that he had it? It seemed like a simple of course, he'd done it before and he'd do it again. But there were people there that loved him and cared for him, it would be hard to leave them behind.

Waiting for her to take the first bite he then reached across and smiled, she seemed a little confused as to why there was one plate in front of them. It was clear that she hadn't been in a restaurant like this before. Scooping a little bit of the dessert into his mouth he smiled and closed his eyes. This would be one thing that would be hard to leave behind... Chef Ralph's crème brulee was amazing. Speaking of Chef Ralph he made his way out of the kitchen and back to their table, "How are you enjoying the couple's dessert? I have been told that it can spark something, no?" Brandon smiled but bent his head down to avoid being seen with a blush. They were on a very date-looking evening it was only natural for him to assume that.

Recovering quickly Brandon nodded, he didn't mind them thinking that they were a couple. Not anymore, this night was proof enough of that. "Yes, thank you... the dessert is amazing. And the meal was exceptional as always my friend." Reaching up he placed a hand on Chef Ralph's shoulder he smiled.

"Anything for my most valued customer. It was a pleasure to see you and too meet your beautiful date..." as he spoke about Aeroa he turned to her and took her hand once more to kiss the back of it. "How did you enjoy your meal?" He asked expectantly but then realized that they were not quite through, "Ah! I'm sorry, you are still enjoying it... my apologies."

Aeroa continued to take small bites from the dessert, she would occasionally look up at Brandon, it was still odd for such a man to be sitting across from her. He was wealthy, rich, almost like the people in Raflourre. They all seemed to be rich, from the small amount of time she spent there. They sure did act like it. But Aeroa couldn't seem to wrap her mind around the fact that he was so different. There must be something he was hiding, maybe that he was secretly a hideous monster. Aeroa giggled, at the thought. Brandon a hideous monster. That was kind of amusing. But, everyone had something to hide? How could she imagine or guess as to what was wrong with him? Because to her, there seemed to be not one thing she could find.

Aeroa watched as the Chef reappeared, it was something, that man. He said something that made Brandon look down. And as soon as Aeroa's mind had processed the same information she blushed and put her hands up to cover her mouth and a bit of her cheeks. She let her eyes fall to the table, before peeking up at Brandon, who seemed to possibly have been making the same response. The Chef had taken her hand and kissed the back of it, she didn't know what else to do, so she nodded her head with a smile. "I have been enjoying it." She said in response to his question, but he then apologized for asking before it was finished. Aeroa didn't see the problem in it though.

She thought about how things must have been for the Chef and Brandon back during the time that Brandon was poor. So many people contributing to Brandon, and he back to them. But he made such great connections with those people. And the Chef, what was his life like? He seemed to be quite the outgoing character, but that seemed typical of the successful, good chef. They had to be, or else they wouldn't have the charisma to start a place, and be successful. But he seemed to know what hard work meant to. It was odd, the things Aeroa thought about, what she picked up from watching people and talking to them. It wasn't long before Aeroa had finished what she believed was half of the dessert, and thus her part.

It seemed that Aeroa had the same response when she must have realized that Chef Ralph thought they were a couple, but once again Brandon noticed that she didn't try to turn it away. She didn't accept it per say but Brandon felt like she might have just been taken off guard by Chef Ralph's next question about their meal, particularly hers. It was such a simple joy just to watch her as she spoke as she lost herself in thought. There was something mystifying about the whole thing and he wondered how she could be so quiet. And then he remembered how he had been... Chef Ralph was quite the opposite of Brandon when he was younger. Perhaps he'd just picked up some traits from those that had helped him to survive.

Aeroa seemed finished with the dessert and while Brandon would have been happy for her to finish the rest of his half he decided that he'd better savor it. "The meal was great Chef, thank you so much!" He told him as Brandon finished the last spoonful. He then looked at Aeroa and smiled, "I'm sure you could go for another plate?" the teasing tone on his voice began to sound as he thought back to how she'd polished off more than half of his fruit. "Or have you had enough for tonight?" He laughed lightly and then just smiled caught up in the moment.

With that Brandon said his goodbyes for the night and put his arm out for Aeroa to grab onto so that he could escort her home. It seemed a little strange, he'd never escorted a woman back to his own home before. Not knowing that she would be resting there for the night. It was a peaceful walk home and the lulling music of the nightlife hummed through the air as they walked. Brandon simply hummed along with it enjoying his time with Aeroa. Unlocking the front door he allowed Aeroa through and then followed her up the stairs. It had been quite the night and Brandon was feeling tired but strangely energized. Looking forward to the next few days and particularly the festival in two days. He couldn't wait to see Aeroa in her new gown. She promised to be, at least in his eyes, the most beautiful girl in the festival.

He stopped in front of her door as if it were her home, "I think it's best that we both get some rest," he told her. "Thank you for coming with me tonight, it was a lovely evening. I hope to spend many more like it." It seemed strange now to think of her as a servant in the household. That this was his room and he was just down the hall. He looked down at her and smiled. "Goodnight." he said simply and softly waiting for her to move into her room to 'make sure she got home safely.'

Aeroa blushed and laughed a little with Brandon, on his comment of her appetite. She wanted to say something back, but nothing could come to mind. So she smiled, she knew he meant no offense in it, and she didn't take any. It was in fact a true jest. Though, Aeroa happily left the restaurant with Brandon, and as she expected he held his arm out in offering of being an escort. It had been a very rewarding day. Picking fruit, cleaning, getting new clothes and finally the denouement of the day, dinner. She happily took it his arm. getting lost in the thoughts that swirled about her mind. It was nice, feeling so close to someone. Being friendly and kind, enjoying each other's company.

The life she had taken on was foreign, new, exciting and tiring. She would never have done that much socializing before in her life. She never would have imagined, or thought of it either. She had never pictured herself having dinner at a fancy place with anyone. Things like that just weren't plausible. Well, they weren't before. New doors were opening, opportunities were arising. Aeroa had a chance to start over. Maybe all of her journeying, her long hard days, the long and short trails, getting lost and finding a place. Running, and being chased; maybe, just maybe it led to this day. To this time, none of it was in vain. It all was a stepping stone into this life, this world. Maybe this was where she belonged.

Brandon simply hummed and walked alongside Aeroa, the music and the lights were just as fascinating as before. She thought about all the time she had spent with him, and the time they planned to spend together in the future. This made Aeroa ponder over something she had said during dinner. That she was no longer a wanderer. Was that true? Was she going to stay here? How long? She still hadn't decided, her mind simply seemed to overlook any of reality. She felt like she was trying to live a dream, a fantasy. There was no way she could stay here indefinitely. She would bring danger to Brandon, to his house, to his life and to his friends even. Her first night at his house she knew she would have to leave. She knew she couldn't' stay. Why, all of sudden, was she pretending that she would never part? It also made her think of all the places she had been, what would it be like to have Brandon out, travelling with her. Going to Boely falls, or to Raflourre. What would it have been like to have Brandon there with her? He was a friend, that she was almost certain of. Maybe having someone with her while she traveled wouldn't be so bad... if she didn't deem is so dangerous. She'd never be able to live with herself in Brandon was hurt on her behalf.

Aeroa's mind finally returned to reality when they arrived at the door. Again she heard a faint rustling sound, but she had remembered that she heard it the first time. It was a simple squirrel. And she believed that this was confirmed by a dark little figure that ran past. It seemed far far away, and was followed by another dark figure. 'Squirrels playing.' she thought, 'how cute.' Brandon opened the door for her, and they walked upstairs. To her bedroom. She quietly entered and she turned around to look at Brandon, she gave a small smile. She felt tempted to do something, she didn't know what, but she assumed after spending the day together like they had, that something was suppose to happen. Maybe she was to bow, to give him a hug? Or a handshake, but at that thought she laughed. "It was a lovely evening," she confirmed, "Good night." Her voice was soft, again, almost like when she first spoke to him. "And, have a good day at work tomorrow." She added before slipping away farther into her bedroom, ignoring her temptations.

Aeroa stayed in her clothes and climbed into bed. It was just as soft as she remembered it. She closed her eyes, listening to the sounds outside, of the insects, some chirping, the ribbits of frogs. She gave a small sigh, those were the sounds she was used to at night. It would be about the time that she would climb into a tree and get comfortable, or crawl into a little cave-like structure, make a small bed on the ground or any number of things. Her dreams were filled with many wonderful scenes, but they were all interrupted by those men. They were chased, attacked, and tortured. When one dream would end, another would begin just the same a happy moment turned horribly wrong. Those men were there to ruin her life, and her dreams. It was a tough night of sleep for her, but it wasn't long until morning.

With that the evening had ended and while it had seemed strange for a moment the feeling soon passed as she gave him a soft goodnight. It was a beautiful word when said by someone that you liked. But the way she said it, it was so much more potent, much more soft, much more meaningful, so much more her. He nodded and then watched as the door closed behind her. A smile spread across his face and he turned to head into his own room. Opening the door with a smooth turn of his wrist he felt his smile growing wider. He wasn't sure why but he felt like that had been the most successful first date that he'd ever been on with someone. As he undressed he found himself thinking more and more about what had happened and smiling as he revisited the more amusing parts of the evening.

The next morning was upon him and he still felt good about how the night had been and he found himself looking forward more and more to the festival tomorrow. He wanted to make sure that the night was special for Aeroa and something that she'd remember. He dressed himself for work that day and grabbed his cane once more. Running a hand through his hair he looked into the mirror that sat above his desk. Checking to make sure he looked presentable for the day. Then he left the room and headed down the stairs. Stopping in the kitchen he picked up his breakfast of fruit, knowing he should stop by Granny Sophie's for a little bread. He also decided that he should leave a little money for Aeroa. He knew that she'd be at the clothing store for the day, perhaps there was something else that she'd want to get. Also she would need to eat some food while she was out. Placing some coins in the same place he did before he looked up to the balcony wondering if she was up this morning already.

The day went quickly, perhaps in anticipation of the following day however he knew that he would be making a lengthy stop on the way home. Not surprisingly Granny Sophie had heard from Chef Ralph about the previous night. She had the best bread in town and Chef Ralph wanted it fresh every morning. Granny Sophie made it clear that she wanted to hear all the details herself when he had time. And to put it in her own words, "I'll come find you,". The thought of Granny Sophie hunting him down caused him to laugh.

Looking down at his side he smiled at the small black box in his hand. About six inches long, an inch tall, and about two inches across. It was a beautiful box of solid wood which Brandon had bought for a special occasion. He walked into the bakery and saw Granny Sophie come out of the back with a smile on her face. "Good I didn't have to come find you, boy." She then made her way over to one of the tables and Brandon sat down next to her. She then quickly reached on at hit him on the back of the head a little harder then usual. This time it really did cause him to flinch for a moment and look at her strangely. "That's for telling me that there was nothing between that girl and you, it's not nice to lie to your Granny!"

Brandon nearly fell out of his chair from laughing as he nodded, "I suppose I deserve that but Granny... last night just kind of happened. I don't even know if she considered it a date. We were just friends out celebrating meeting one another and her employment." He sighed and looked at her before leaning across the table. "Though I'd be lying if I didn't say I feel different around her and that I would be opposed to courting her." He looked down at his hands with a rather sullen look, "We've only known each other for a few days. It's hardly fitting for us to rush into something but..."

Old, wrinkled, calloused hands, with a soft touch only a granny could have reached across the table and took hold of his large ones. "But what? It hasn't happened before? There are so many other pretty girls out there who aren't after your money? She's too good for you? I've seen the girls you've brought to me, you've never been happy with them because you knew that they weren't after your heart. From what Chef Ralph described and from that little brown box," she stopped and very pointedly looked at the box he was carrying. "You like this girl and she makes you happy. So why not try things out?"

A realization hit Brandon in that moment and he knew that Granny Sophie was telling the truth, Aeroa was the first girl to make him feel this way. She was everything that he'd always hoped for in a girl. What better way to get to know her? "Thanks, granny..." he said with a smile and they continued talking like that for about an hour or so. Then Granny Sophie made him promise that he would bring her by before the festival tomorrow to make sure that she was granny-approved for him. Brandon laughed and promised before heading home.

Opening the door slowly he slipped the box into his coat pocket so that it was out of sight and then looked around for Aeroa. "Aeroa? I'm home." He called.

It was an early morning for Aeroa, she started the day before the slow, sure, sun rose. She went first to the bathing room to get ready for the day. Today was the day she was going to spend some time with Karon at the clothing store. So she wanted to make sure to get some of her duties, if not all of them done before she left. She planned to leave after her work was done, and be back before Brandon. It was a short bath, and Aeroa was relieved to have clean clothes to change into. She made it a point to wash her own clothes as well. She set them up in her room, making sure to keep her room clean, which was really easy considering she was such a light traveler.

Aeroa tied her hair up with the same ribbon as before, and started in the kitchen. She munched on some fruit as she worked, being sure to allow herself only a few. She tidied up, and did the little things. Swept the floor since they had walked on it, she wiped down a few surfaces that were touched since the last time she cleaned. She managed to get the rest of the rooms that she hadn't gotten to the first day. She cleaned the bathing chamber, which she hadn't thought to before. After cleaning Aeroa went out to the garden to tend to it. She cleaned out the weeds, she watered and cared for the plants. She picked some more fruit, happily enjoying the motions of picking fruit, and pulling up vegetables, taking care to get the nuts. It was a fine job and the day had a nice chill to it. It blew through her hair and made her stand in certain ways to keep it from blowing in her face. She found herself running around barefooted in the soft, chill grass. It was nice, with the sun shining down, warming her lightly tanned skin. It seemed through her many days in the sun, she never got more tan than what she was.

Aeroa right before leaving noticed the money Brandon had set out for her. She didn't pay much attention to it, and she shrugged, leaving it there as she walked out. Aeroa wasn't sure if she was supposed to leave the house unattended and unlocked but she wanted to be back before Brandon, so she needed a way in. Aeroa had little difficulty finding her way back to the clothing shop. Upon entering Karon greeted her openly. "Hey! You're back! How wonderful!" Karon must have been very outgoing. Karon while the store was empty took a moment to show Aeroa her dresses progress. There were only a few slight changes that were noticeable mostly to the figure. To allow the dress the most flirtatious fit possible. "You'll be the most beautiful girl there!" Karon said with a confident tone. Aeroa couldn't help but to smile, thinking about the dress, how Brandon had got it for it. It reminded her of the festival that was tomorrow.

Karon took her back out onto the main floor, in case a customer came around. Karon sometimes busied herself with putting clothes back onto display, or with organizing the clothing that seemed to misplace itself. Aeroa volunteered to help, but there really wasn't much to do unless a customer came in. Then they two women would help them pick out clothing, or comment on outfits. During the time they were free to themselves they just had a conversation. At first Aeroa was her quiet, observant self. She only added a few words to the conversation, and Karon would be her loud, happy, extrovert self and tell her there was no reason to be so quiet and reserved. Aeroa would smile and agree. And slowly it led Aeroa to hold lengthy conversations. She was slowly getting more and more used to having conversations. Full conversations, not one sided. It was nice.

Karon liked to ask about Brandon. She commented on how handsome Brandon was, how sweet he seemed. And Aeroa had to admit that he was handsome, sweet and kind. Karon swooned over his eyes. She talked about how they seemed to captivate her, and asked if it was just her. But Aeroa admitted that she had felt it too, that his eyes were alluring. Those deep blue green eyes. Karon tried to pry as to Aeroa's feelings for him, but Aeroa wasn't sure. Her only admittance was that he made her happy, she felt calm, and safe. That she liked to be around him, and that his company was warming. Aeroa told her about dinner, and how the Chef gave them the couples dessert, and Karon teased her about it. Karon informed her that Brandon was head over heels for her. Karon swore that she could tell that Brandon had fallen, and it was for Aeroa. Aeroa laughed at the remarks, thinking that she was jumping to conclusions. But dinner? What was Aeroa to make of that?

Aeroa realized it was getting about time for her to head home, so she said her goodbyes to Karon. They hugged and Karon wished her to come back sometime soon and do it again. Aeroa had to admit it was fun, helping people pick out clothing and laughing with them when they playfully put on ridiculous clothing. Aeroa walked on home, it was odd to think of the place she was going to as home, but it seemed to fit. It didn't take her long to get there, and when she arrived she walked in, checking for any signs that Brandon had gotten there before her and there were none. She checked each room before she hastily walked into the kitchen. She was almost determined to get something set up for dinner before he got back.

Aeroa started with pulling together her ingredients but the by the time she had started to cut up an apple, someone had walked into the door and called her name, the voice was Brandon's. She walked out holding the apple, as she carefully slid the knife through it to cut it into fourths. When she saw Brandon she realized, she had no clue as to what she was going to do with the apple to make the food, so she offered him a piece of it. "Welcome home." She said, smiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SaejiFine
It was mere moments before Brandon saw Aeroa come out of the kitchen holding a knife and an apple which she was cutting, she looked so much more happy than usual. Apparently her day had gone very well. That was good. She welcomed him home and was holding out a piece of apple for him. Normally cutting an apple would mean that there was something in mind for dinner so he approached and took the apple from her hand with a smile. He didn't smell anything in the kitchen and remembering what she'd said about not being able to cook he wondered what she might be doing in there. "Thank you." he took a bite of the apple, his favorite, and then munched down the rest of the fourth he'd been given. "Is this what's for dinner? Raw apples?" he laughed lightly looking around once more to notice the cleaning that she'd accomplished. "The house looks amazing, thank you."

He waited for a few moments before looking up the stairs, "I think I'm going to go take a bath this evening, if you don't mind. Perhaps I'll see what you can come up with for dinner." With that he stole another piece of the apple right after she'd cut it and took a bite before she could say otherwise. Smiling he made his way upstairs and to his room. Taking the box out he eyed it for a moment, opening the box a beautiful thin silver necklace lay cushioned against fine cloth. On it was a beautiful sapphire which seemed to glint and glow even in the low light of his room. Smiling he closed it and hid it away in his bedside desk.

With that he undressed and made his way over to the bathing room, drawing himself a bath he undressed completely and sank into the water to begin washing himself. As he did he thought about what Granny Sophie had explained to him. Aeroa really was something, she was a lot. And yet the idea that her wanderlust might take over. He wasn't sure he'd be able to leave with her if that happened. There was no one to take the store from him other than his friend, who much preferred to make the pictures rather than sell them. Yet with the way things were going he wasn't sure if he could just let her walk away from him.

Aeroa smiled, "It's no problem really, a meager payment in exchange for everything." She said. "And enjoy your bath." She added.

Aeroa was a tad surprised when Brandon took the second apple slice, but she didn't mind. She ate the other half and walked back into the kitchen. She had an array of ingredients set out before her, and she laughed at herself as she tried to think of a combination that might make a meal. She was used to meat in a meal, but there was none around to her knowledge. She didn't want to give up, so she thought carefully about the flavors. She took a couple nuts, hazelnuts and peanuts and began to crush them into a fine powder. She set it aside and picked some green beans and potatoes. She then carefully picked out fruit, a pineapple, strawberries and some apples. Aeroa carefully cut up the green beans and set them aside. She cut the two potatoes in half and set them in some water, with the green beans. She let them cook until she deemed them done, which meant nice and hot, she figured if they were hot they had to be done. She kept them in the pot as she moved over to her fruits and nuts. Then carefully sliced the fruits into little pieces and set them on the side of the plate, and she sprinkled them with the ground up nuts. Once that was finished Aeroa carefully drained the water, and set up each plate with two halves of a potato and the green beans on the side. It was a simple little meal, and Aeroa figured it would probably be a tad bland, but she didn't know how to cook like Chef Ralph, and this itself was more fancy than what Aeroa was used to. She didn't often get cooked vegetables, or fruits garnished with nuts.

Aeroa happily cleaned up after herself, doing the dishes along the way. She walked over to the table and set down each plate, hoping that Brandon wasn't going to take too long, she didn't want his food to get cold. She went and got two glasses of water and set them beside the plates. Aeroa sat down at one side and simply waited for his reappearance. She looked down at the dinner she made, and she envisioned the dinner that Ralph had prepared. They were drastically different, while his had many colors, smelled delicious, and attracted your attention from the start, Aeroa's was simple, the smell was almost not there. The nuts and fruits could be smelt, but the vegetables weren't much in the way of the olfactory sense.

Walking back into his bedroom he had a shirt on and a pair of pants, his feet were bare and made a soft padded sound as he walked through the hallway. With his towel he was running it over his hair trying to dry it out as best he could. It was then that he heard the sound of a chair being pulled out in the dining room. It was faint but definitely recognizable and he stopped for a moment. Surprised because he half expected Aeroa to take his comment about making dinner, with a grain of salt. Half expecting her to want to go out to dinner once more... it's what the others had done. And yet, that was the point wasn't it? She wasn't like the others.

Walking into his room he looked in the mirror and smiled, wondering what Aeroa might think of him without a suit on. He decided that he would just tuck his shirt in and walk downstairs. Besides he'd hate for his dinner to get cold while he got dressed. As he entered the dining room the smell of fresh fruit assaulted his senses and caused him to stop. It was quite aromatic and what was that nutty aroma that he got? Aeroa was patiently waiting for him it seemed. "Aeroa, you didn't have to wait, your food will get cold."

Walking over he sat down at the other end of the table looking down on the plate. To say that it wasn't exactly what he was used to was very true... this was rustic, simple, and colorful. What was more important was the fact that it seemed like she'd put a lot of thought into what she was preparing. The nuts were ground finely which would take some time. And the potatoes still seemed warm. Looking up he just smiled at her, "This looks amazing, exactly what I was looking forward to on my way home." With that he happily pierced the potato with a fork, cut a piece off with his knife and began to eat. "How was your day, Aeroa?"

Aeroa was quite surprised, she heard Brandon's footsteps before she saw him, but in her mind she was expecting to see the usual suit on him. Instead he aws wearing a shirt and pants, they looked odd on him, as she wasn't used to it. But it was nice, it made him seem more on her level. In a sense. "You look nice." She commented as he walked towards the table. He kept his sophistication by tucking his shirt in Aeroa noticed, but it was fitting, and relaxing seeing him in 'normal' clothes.

Which made her think back to the hike she imagined. This time she could picture him in clothes, and not just a suit.. remembering the hike reminded Aeroa of the festival that was tomorrow. She began to feel butterflies, and nervous. It was going to be a fun time indeed, but she had never been to anything like it before.

"I don't mind waiting, it would have been odd to start without you, if yours would have gotten cold, mine should too." She said, smiling as she too started her meal. "It looks simple," She admitted, "But cooking.. is.. well.. not my specialty. It took.. a lot of thought, and carefulness."

Then she lightly laughed at herself and paused, waiting to swallow her food before she talked of her day, though remembering the fun she had with Karon brought a smile to her face. "It was fun." She hesitated, "Helping Karon out with the shop... after doing some things around here. We were just, well, getting to know each other, enjoying each other's company..making fun out of our time." Aeroa added, trying to make more of a conversation. Her habit seemed to sneak up on her every once in a while. "What about yours? Any more engagement rings?" She asked, genuinely curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.