Replaying Old Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Shiri how was the new movie? I never got around to watching it.
It's alright, if a little predictable. The pacing was good. There was one moment I think they could have dragged out a little longer to add a little more uncertainty, but it's an action oriented movie so they kept things moving accordingly.

I ended up liking the Rita more than I thought I would. English dub is still #1 in my eyes, but this version of Rita was just fine for the plot they stuck her with. She felt like a '90s villain. There was also this odd tension between her and Goldar that makes me want to know more.

The music was little everywhere. I think that they tried a little too hard to appeal to all potential teens watching it.

I thought the suits were pretty neat. They added a sort of scaly texture to them that sort of connect them more with their Zords.

The kids were fun. They felt like teenagers and did all the teenage drama self identity stuff. We also got to watch them train. I was a little afraid that they'd pull the whole "insta-karate" that many action movies fall prey to.

I'm not really a fan of how the Zords were treated overall. Their backstory as to why they look the way they do was poorly done. It was just kind of a side comment. 'Plot, plot, plot, - oh yeah Zords are a thing you can use. Maybe.' And they kept calling them dinosaurs even though 2 of them are not dinosaurs. Could have called them beasts or ancient beasts. But that's a nitpick on my part.

They didn't bother with Bulk and Skull. There's a bully, but he's even less developed than they were. Maybe he will be more interesting in the future?

The Power Weapons were undercut. We only see the Power Sword and only briefly. It was sort of plain all things considered.

But despite it's faults I think it's a great film to watch with some popcorn.

Reactions: Vardoger
I'm currently playing FFIV, someone gave me the remastered version from Steam as a gift. I just love how most Final Fantasy games work with some tropes in a way that's almost predictable, and yet it gets an emotional response from me every. single. time.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Shiri
Whew, there's a lot of Final Fantasy in this thread. So... Um.

Yeah I've been replaying a Final Fantasy game, though for the most part it's honestly not one of the greatest. I'm currently going through Final Fantasy IV: The After Years once again, this is my second run, and this time it's on the PSP version (previous run was the Wii one). Anyways, the PSP version fixes a lot of the flaws the Wii one had, such as the graphics being way better, the interface not looking like it was made in RPGMaker, and rare, bullshit drops are now a thing of the past for the most part.

That said, the story still isn't great, although it does have it's moments. There are frequent times where I see what's happening on the screen and just think 'boy, this sure does feel like some really bad fan-fiction' but there are other times where I just get giddy and engaged with the story. It's a very, very mixed bag.

Oh and I'm doing a 'full completion' run, that means, by my own standards, getting anything important, and going through every challenge dungeon as many times as required to get all the treasures from it. This can mean anywhere from 8 to 12~ runs of a CD, and let me tell you... CHALLENGE DUNGEONS SUCK. They were part of the whole 'this game was originally designed for cellphones' philosophy and feel very rushed, and varying degrees of badly done. They honestly just serve as a way to artificially inflate playtime. Still, some of them have been nearly decent, or at the very least painless, while some others just made me want to tear my hair out.

But hey, I'll never be one to complain about seeing more Palom and Edward, so it's always good to return to that little universe.

Unfortunately I'm stuck relistening to a lot of my old audiobooks at work. I've been doing it for years. So I've run the pool drive of books I actually like. And 'acquiring' them is growing ever more difficult. Blew through the Grimnoire Chronicles, Rivers of London books, the Dresden Files, and started into the Temeraire dragon series. Probably going to give the Dark Tower books another once over. BLAINE IS A PAIN.

Been slowly replaying through the Game of Thrones series.

It's cool seeing all the events happen after having seen the entire show (up to it's current point) with a more knowledgeable perspective than one would of had the first time around.

Also, I rather consistently find myself replaying Mount and Blade Warband with it's variance of mods. Currently my frequent 2 being the Floris Extended mod, and Prophesy of Pendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.