Reading it Again

Do you ever go back and read a book again just for the fun of it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few books I still read again, especially those by Paul Jennings and Roald Dahl. And I used to love rereading Prisoner of Azkaban because that was my favourite of the series.

And occasionally I reread the Infernal Devices series to cry all over again xD

I've read through the Gaunts Ghosts novel series (a good 13 or so books) about twice now, and re-reading them helped a lot with understanding who was who among the dozens upon dozens of characters in the books.

Also, I've been itching to re-read Starship Troopers for a while now, though mostly because the first time I read it, I was at the tender age of 'too-young-to-understand-what-was-going-on', as it was the first book I read without pictures (to give you an age reference, I can't remember how old I was exactly).

I am actually super glad I saw Starship Troopers as a movie when I was a kid, years before I was aware of the novel. I love the movie to death and I think having seen it after reading the novel would have been one of those cases of infuriatingly bad film adaptations that just don't give a fuck lol.

I am glad I ended up tracking down the novel a few years ago for the first time, you can definitely see why it is so well regarded all these years later. I always find myself amazed at the imaginations of people from a long time ago who manage to create such on the ball sci-fi inventions and tropes. Just being able to envision things like the GPS and HUDS and other visual information in the suits alone is incredible for somebody who wrote that when radar was still brand new and computers weren't invented!

I am actually super glad I saw Starship Troopers as a movie when I was a kid, years before I was aware of the novel. I love the movie to death and I think having seen it after reading the novel would have been one of those cases of infuriatingly bad film adaptations that just don't give a fuck lol.
Yeah, the movie was why I was interested in the book. We managed to record the 'Made for TV' version on VHS (All the sexy stuff was cut out. When my friend showed me the 'making of the movie' book, we had an argument over the shower scene's existence.) and I thought it was the coolest shit ever.

Now I understand the movie has little to do with the book, but I still think it's awesome (can't go wrong with a little ham or NPH).

There are SO many books I want to read!

Unfortunately, I'm a creature of habit, and I reread books I like over and over partly because I love them, and partly because of nostalgia.

The Starship Troopers movie was made as satirical piece leaning only thematicly on the books. Like you Dervish, I read the book much later on. And I agree. I'd likely had been pissed at the differences xD

I've read East of Eden at least 5 times. Several Stephen King books as well.

as a kid i reread the original dragonlance trilogy and various drizzt books

because the former is actually a fun epic

and the latter is like a comic book in novel form

I must have reread the Harry Potter series as a whole more than half a dozen times, to say nothing of how often I reread the books individually before all seven had been released (Prisoner of Azkaban is easily my favourite and my original copy fell apart). My parents used to joke that I could quote the series verbatim. I'm going to start rereading the Belgariad in the next few days before I lend those books to a friend.

as a kid i reread the original dragonlance trilogy and various drizzt books

because the former is actually a fun epic

and the latter is like a comic book in novel form
Ah Drizzt. Ruining drow for DnD players everywhere.

Reactions: Razilin
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is one of the best books I've ever read. I could read it a thousand times and still love it. The technology they have in it is every gamers dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.