Random facts you never use

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Adventure Finder
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
Online Availability
I have a shifting work schedule, so My online times will be random.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, scifi, futuristic modern, fantasy modern, Action/adventure, Mystery, Fan-based,
What are some random things you know that you never really need to know in daily life?

For example:
The tip on a shoelace is called an aglet.

Your average cell phone has loads more computing power than all of NASA had back in 1969, when it placed two astronauts on the moon.

When using alcohol to clean a wound, the reason you get a stinging/burning sensation is because it messes with the nerves in the area that sense heat. They normally only send a pain signal for heat well above normal body temperature, but the alcohol screws them up and makes them send pain signals for temperatures well below body temp.

The tarantula hawk paralizes tarantulas and lays the eggs inside of them. When the eggs hatch, the larvae eat through the still living, still paralyzed tarantulas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackie Chan gets his neck snapped by Bruce Lee in "Enter the Dragon."

As large as it was, the Roman E,pure was only the 19th largest nation in history.

There's a Cereal Cafe in London where you can eat hundreds of different kinds of cereals from around the world.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Some species of anglerfish mate in such a way that the much smaller male bites the female, merges his face with her body, and essentially becomes a pair of whiny testicles, entirely dependant on the female for survival.

There is never a situation that can't be made better with some useless random facts.

Otters hold hands while they sleep so they don't drift apart

'Cop' is actually an acronym for 'Constable On Patrol'

'Cafe Espresso' comes from the literal Italian for 'pressed coffee'

Yawning is actually your body's Hail Mary to keep you awake. It pumps a tiny burst of adrenaline and takes in lots of oxygen

Makes you kinda wonder how much of your brain space is being used up by this stuff, eh? Like the other day I was buying a piece of cake from the store, and the clerk was having trouble finding the item code, and I was like "it's 762" and he was like 0.0 and I was like "I used to work here" and so he asked when (probably to see if he should remember me) and I was like "oh, uh, like six years ago?"

HOW MUCH OF MY BRAIN IS STILL BEING USED BY BAKERY DEPT. PRODUCT CODES, OMFG.

119 Americans died on the Titanic.

71 First Class
27 Second Class
21 Third Class

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
In Person of Interest, after Harold confiscated her two Heiser Double Taps, Root started using Shaw's HK USP. It's a really minor thing, but I really like the respect to the continuity and the representation of their growing relationship at the time.

Japanese bondage is called shibari, and often involves more intricate ties and abstract designs than western bondage.

The stereotypical western depiction of Jesus is actually a pope's son.

I'm sure there are more, but this is all I can think of at the moment.

Swimming in a pool used for nuclear waste hits you with less radiation than simply walking outside on a sunny day.

This is fun to read and it got me thinking so I just goggled stuff and found this.

In 1933, Mickey Mouse, an animated cartoon character, received 800,000 fan letters.

Also this site. Enjoy. (from said site info above) :)

http://uselessfacts.net/

Fire is a plasma. O_O Plasma is one of the four fundamental states of matter, along with solid, liquid and gas.

Doctors at a Children's Hospital do not like it when you ask them why there is no an adult hemophilia clinics and if it's because most don't make it to adulthood. O____O They tell you to stop being a deviant.

If you stick your tongue out and pant heavily you'll look like a dog.

It is fucking impossible to lick your elbow. I tried it around ten times, and I couldn't lick it.

If you try to pet a shark in the opposite direction that its scales are pointing, you'll cut yourself. The scales are that sharp.

There was a barbie doll that, if you wound its arm, it would grow from a little girl into a teenager. It's torso would grow longer, it'd grow boobs and get a smaller waist.

14% of all facts and statistics are made up and 27% of people know that fact.

And something I found funny: Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in New Jersey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.