Don't jinx it.
quod ratio humana naturaIt happened almost instantaneously. The entire city of Las Vegas, decimated. The cause? Mysterious creatures, black as night, suddenly appearing from thin air, acting on instincts that could only be telling them to destroy all in sight. This wouldn't be an isolated incident. Within minutes of Sin City's demise, the chaos they knew seemed to encapsulate the world throughout. Everywhere, these beings of darkness appeared, killing indiscriminately, leaving naught but destruction in their wake. The various militia tried to fight back, but conventional weaponry proved ineffective. Nothing seemed capable of stopping these monsters. It was all anyone could do to hide and hoped they'd be passed by. No one saw it coming; no one expected it.
"For the wages of sin is death..." -Romans 6:23
"For the wages of sin is death..." -Romans 6:23
No one, save the single organization that rose up to fight against these seemingly insurmountable adversaries. Much like the enemy themselves, they came out of nowhere. With but mere blades, those dressed in grey military suits, with hats bearing a diesis, ran the shadows through. As quickly as they were able to thin the enemy's numbers, it was far too late to save anything that could really be called a civilization. In one night, humanity as a whole was devastated by the unknown. While no longer nearly as prominent as they were on that fateful night, those black entities still linger, and those that bear the diesis still rise to fight them.
That organization goes by a single name: Emundabit.
Quod Ratio Humana Natura is an apocalyptic roleplay with religious themes. In this roleplay, God has given up on humanity, and decided their punishment for their continued travesties will be their own sins, manifest. No one can tell when someone's sins will manifest. Only that the unique weapons the organization, Emundabit, employs are one of the only means of effectively dealing with them. Our story revolves around a squad that's part of the United States branch of Emundabit, whose headquarters is located in Washington, during the year 2021, one year after the decimation of Las Vegas. Humanity still tries to hold down some form of community, but the governments they'd come to rely on for so long are no more. Emundabit has stepped up to the plate as a sort of world power. Many are skeptical, and conspiracy theories about the organization abound, but most are just happy to have anyone standing up for them against an enemy they can't defend themselves against.
Only the organization knows the true nature of the enemy they fight. How they do will be revealed in the actual roleplay.
You are but a single member of a squad comprised of veterans and newcomers that work together to take down sins, wherever they may manifest. Throughout the roleplay, Emundabit's true reason for existing will be revealed, and that's when hell really breaks loose (both figuratively and literally).
I'm looking for about 4 to 5 applications total. I'll be making a Discord for this roleplay once we have 3 or so applications accepted. Expect it to be mandatory.
There are three known methods for dealing with manifested sins. One such method is through sealing them via charms and talismans. Every squad has at least one member trained in the usage of said charms and talismans. The second is to simply destroy the sin via the special weapons Emundabit agents use. The third, and most controversial, is to kill the person the sin is linked to. Manifested sins are reliant on their host to maintain their forms, so their host's death causes them to cease existing. Emundabit has classified seven different variations of sin, each of them with unique attributes.
- Tempt Types — These types are the frailest of the bunch, but are also capable of proving the most dangerous. Their powers are akin to mind control. They can convince others to do their bidding. While not as effective against individuals other than the host, their control over their host is absolute.
- Hoard Types — Probably the least dangerous type, hoard types are nothing more than collectors. They can prove violent if someone tries to take anything they've claimed as their own, but outside of this, they're considered low priority targets. Their powers are akin to center of gravity control, often seen in them amassing their collections into a single amalgamation.
- Green Types — Little differentiates green types from hoard types, other than a much higher propensity for violence. Green types are envious in nature, and only desire that which someone else has that they do not. Their powers are akin to magnetic control in that they can pull things towards them.
- Idle Types — Idle types possess the ability to spread lethargy. While not particularly dangerous on their own, their ability to weaken people at a touch can prove especially troublesome while engaged with another manifested sin on a greater threat threshold.
- Devour Types — Considered among the top 3 most dangerous sins, devour types are often colossal in size, and exhibit an ability to consume anything and everything. The more they consume, the larger in size they become, so these are often times highest on the priority list when they do appear, seldom as that may be.
- Destroyer Types — Destroyer types, as the name may suggest, are the ones with the greatest capacity for destruction, possessing strength unparalleled. If not for the abilities of the final type of sin, they would easily and indisputably be the most dangerous type of sin.
- Hubris Types — Hubris types, though extremely rare, have proven themselves capable of exhibiting the powers of other sin types. This, and the capacity for sentience that they share only with destroyer and tempt types, is what makes them the most dangerous type to deal with.
1. Follow all Iwaku policies, obviously.
2. Limit personal drama to PM, and keep IC drama limited to IC.
3. I, the GM, have final say in all matters pertaining to the roleplay.
4. No godmodding, yadda yadda, all that jazz (ya like it?)
5. Going to ask that participants be able to put out at least one post a week. Tell me if you won't be able to post ahead of time so we aren't waiting 7 days for a post that was never going to come.
6. Try to have fun. That's what roleplaying is all about, right?
Name: Last, First
Age: Your character must be at least 18 to be a member of Emundabit, so keep that in mind.
Sex: Self explanatory.
Appearance: An image and a description that covers anything not present in said image, or simply a typed description.
Personality: Cover the pros and cons of your character.
History: Just a brief history of how their life up to the events that occurred in Las Vegas and how they came to be a member of Emundabit. Keep in mind that the only way to become a recruit at Emundabit is either through being a relative of someone already involved with the organization, or by having close connections with someone who is. No strangers off the street.
You can use whatever formatting you wish, so long as your sheet contains the required information.
Subject to change, because god knows I'll have wound up forgetting something important.