Prism

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
He'd recognized her anger. That was the thing she felt first, that despite her careful efforts to hide it, he knew too well, he knew her like she should have known him, well enough to have protected him from what the Elders forced. The thought made the door at the back of her mind tremble, but she ignored it. If he tried to reassure her, she would let him, hide the anger away, let him think it was gone, purchase his happiness and peace at whatever price was charged.

But she would not forgot, not for a minute, the debt that was owed. To his Cerebrae abusers, to the Aavan Elders...and to herself.

But that was a promise of later destruction. Now? Now, there only childish glee, fool-hearty giggling, blushing, kissing, light-headed laughter. One could have argued the dizziness was a by-product of oxygen deprivation, or Mori's shut down, or her own mil duse of her powers, but Rora would have laughed in that person's face. There was no pretending she didn't know what the mystery word in her head was. There was no pretending she couldn't read it in Mori's head. And now, there was no pretending to translate.

She said it twice for him, first aloud, so the Aavan -- she couldn't even look at them yet -- didn't hear. And then once more, inside her head and his alone, the charcoal-gray of her mind lapping against the gentle blue of his.

"I love you. I love you."

He felt the word before she said it, but oh, how his heart soared when she did!

Mori's smile could have lit up the entire planet at midnight and he laughed softly, tears streaming even as he kissed her again, long and full of every emotion he wanted to give her, did give her as his mind moved further into her own, two oceans meeting, foaming into bubbling joy and peace and warmth when they touched. Her words caused a thrum of happy pleasure through his mind and Mori drew back to rest his forehead against Rora's own, voice soft, meaning so much more from an Aavan who's voice was naturally deep and powerful. It was a tone he only ever took for her and her alone. It always had been even before he'd realized why.

"I love you." Her native tongue and then in his own, in her mind. "I have loved you all my life. I have searched for you when I knew not your name and I have found you. You are mine and I am yours, and I love you, Rora."

He knew her. She didn't yet realize how well he knew her, how he had watched her, longed for her. He knew her, perhaps not every thought, not every memory, but he knew the ways that she coped and he knew of her anger, and he knew of her power. He knew of her love and her protection and he'd been to the farthest corner of her mind, had seen the word that lurked there, that gave root to every other darkness. He knew her and he knew that anger was not gone. He knew she blamed herself. He knew she blamed her people and now his for his pain. He knew this like he knew he never wanted to let her go, never would. He knew this like he knew he wouldn't leave her to face this alone. He would not let her become the monster she feared she was and he would negate every single loathing thought. Because he loved her. He loved her and he cherished her and he wanted her to see herself the way he saw her.

He wanted her happy and at peace with herself above all else.

And right now he simply wanted to kiss her and hold her, and to just be in quiet with her. But there were eyes on them and Mori kissed Rora's lips again softly and then her nose before he pulled back again and drew her close even as he stood up, for her sake and for his. He needed her and she needed some restraint right now. His violet eyes finally met the quiet, judging, staring ones of the Elders' and Mori's teeth clenched to keep the growl in.

"Have you seen all you need to see? Are you satisfied?"

"Moridryn, we never meant to cause you harm. We did not-"

"Did you see what you needed to see?" He didn't want to talk about it. He didn't want to hear excuses or apologies. He simply wanted to know if his bonded was going to be safe here, if his mate was going to be welcomed and Con's tail came out in a silencing motion to Vivia when she would have spoken. "We have seen what we needed to see. Your Cerebra has committed no crime by the laws of our people against our people. She is free to come and go as she pleases so long as she is in your company."

Mori dipped his head in acknowledgement and then turned away, knowing he was dismissed. Con's voice came back into his head, though, only meant for him and Rora seeing as she was not going to stray far from Mori now. "You will need to come back, though, Moridryn. There is another matter, one of grave importance that I would discuss with you and your mate alone."

"I understand."

Mori didn't look back, leaving with Rora, his hand in hers.

Last edited:
It was fortunate she was still reeling from his revelation. Moreso that he stood close as he finally drew her up to face his Elders.

From the moment the first of them spoke, Rora felt her body stiffen in a barely contained rage. She focused with every fiber of her being, Empath and Dreamer and Pusher and whatever else she was, on Mori's hand in hers and on a blank space of cavern wall, split by a jagged crack down its center. She focused on Mori's and the wall and breathing and keeping upright, because she knew the smallest offense would send her someplace she did not want to be. Now that he was out of danger. Because even the Monster she was could tell Mori from friend and foe. He was, always had been, something very different. She would not hurt him, and could not, if she ever wanted to.

But the others...

It was a blessed relief when they were allowed to leave. No sooner had they taken a few steps then Rora felt lighter, happier already. She wanted to disappear from the face of the planet with Mori, make him hers for ever and everywhere, no restriction, familial or otherwise to stop them.

But she could still feel the Aavan Elders at her back. Contrite, even apologetic. But too late. And as they left the cavern, Mori didn't look back. But Rora did, and she held the gaze of each of the Aavan in turn.

They had pardoned her. They had said she had committed no crimes against her people, and it had been true, until she hurt Mori. She would make them liars all the more for their sins, and for hers. And she wanted them to know it.

"She could have brought the whole mountain tumbling down on us if she wished." As soon as the two were out of sight, Leeo spoke to the others, quiet. Con was the first to nod, sighing deeply and stretching his old body, feeling older by the day. "She could have, but she wouldn't have. Not at the risk of hurting him and for all her anger, she will learn that hurting someone can come from indirect actions as well."

"He's isn't overly fond of us either, Con and he has killed another Aavan before. He wouldn't stop her from harming us." Vivia growled out, entirely displeased with the situation.

"That was ruled an accident and no, he wouldn't." was the calm reply and Wahee shook her head, curling her feet under her, her expression troubled, grieved. "We should not have made him do that. We should not have made him share those memories."

A deep sigh. "It was needed."

"It was cruel and she hates us for it. We have pushed him further away from us." Sekkon replied back, frowning.

"As it should be. We do not want her to like us, we do not want her to be afraid of us or looking to us for approval, and she will make sure Moridryn does not either. We have discussed this, my brothers and sisters. Our time here is ending."

"Right, your prophecy. The babbling of inane Aavan if you ask me, Con."

"And yet the Cerebra is here and the black Aavan is bonded to her. A new age is coming upon us, just as it did with the Nuathal. It is time for our kind to advance again and those two are going to lead the way. They will bring change and our input will become obsolete. As it should be."

---

Mori didn't want to go back to his room. He didn't want to be underground at all and so he led Rora up a narrow tunnel that actually made him very uneasy, his fear of small spaces flaring up, but it passed soon as the tunnel widened again into a ledge on the mountainside. The first sun had set and the last two were glowing a soft gold-red across the land. Blinking at the light, the black Aavan breathed easier to be out in the open air again and he looked back to Rora, drawing her near into his side. She fit there like a puzzle piece now found after such a long wait and Mori's head lowered to place a kiss on the top of her crown.

He inhaled her slowly and though his body still gave tremors, trying not to outright tremble, he found great comfort in her presence, with her mind within his and his within hers, a powerful cycle as it should be. The darkness of the memories had retreated at Rora's intervention, but the rawness they'd left behind lingered, a burn that her mind soothed, but one that also refused to heal right now. He'd ripped the scab off and now it throbbed relentlessly. The pain was dulled by the Cerebra and furthermore by the love he felt coming off her in waves now, but it was still there.

And it still threatened to make him cry if he let himself think about it, that pressure still ready to build within his chest.

He didn't try to make it go away or lock it down like Rora had done her anger, though, but rather simply buried himself in the combination of gray and blue in his head, let himself be soothed and protected by that. He had locked it all away before and this had been the result. Granted, he'd had no way to heal from it before now, but...he couldn't push it back again else it would fester like an infection. No, better to deal with the pain now.

Mori looked down, though, and he tilted Rora's head up, his forehead meeting her own, a soft crooning sound in his throat. "You should not cage the anger so, little rainbow. Only by facing it will you learn to control it." he admonished softly and there was no true accusation or disappointment in his tone and none in his mind, nothing but a fond, yet worried prodding before he let her be and simply curled around the gray of her mind again even as his arms curled tighter about her, too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DotCom
"I don't want to control it."

The words were out, cold and hard and sharp as cut diamond, before she could stop them, before she could force the anger away and soothe him into worry-free lightness. There was a moment of shame that she considered hiding, then stopped.

No. That wasn't fair. He was, had been so open with her. Trying to hide anything anymore was futile, and beyond that, hurtful. Dishonest. And she'd seen what it had done to him in the Elder's cavern. She'd tried to hide her memories of Risa, and he had paid the price. No. No more hiding, not from Mori.

So, she didn't bother to lie about the anger. He knew it was there, held safely away from the new fragility of his own inner peace. She would not let it venture there. She had, she hoped, at least that much control over it. She wouldn't let it hurt him. She wouldn't let anyone hurt him.

And just like that, the anger was on her again. Not like before, nothing like before, because Mori was standing next to her. Shaking, hurting still, but standing at least. And she would stand right there until he stopped needing her and then twice again as long. Forever, if he needer her. Forever if he wanted her.

But for now...she looked up at him, half desperate, half out of her mind with that same, dark rage. She wanted to be soft and gentle and good, wanted to be there like he always was for her. But she couldn't make herself stop, or think. This new Rora wasn't Rora at all. She had been cynical and sardonic, but never violent. Never until Mori had been dying, and then she had changed, completely and forever.

"They made you -- " she started, then her throat closed on itself and she stopped talking, shaking her head, her hands clenched into fists by her sides. "I hate them, Mori. I hate them. I've never hated anybody, but they...you..."

She let out a helpless whimper and closed her eyes and tried to count, because he needed her, and she only wanted to tear something apart.

A patch of moutainside scrub behind her detached itself from the ledge and tumbled away as Rora turned and buried her face in his chest, still seething, but worried now, too. Because for all the time he spent protecting her, there was no one to protect him for Rora herself.

He didn't flinch from her words, harsh and clipped as they were because he knew they were not directed at him. She was so very afraid that she'd hurt him with that anger, but Mori knew she wouldn't. He knew her better than she knew herself in this moment, could see everything good about her that she was blind to right now and while his own pain didn't leave, it took a backseat to her problem at the moment. She'd helped him, far more than she knew, and now he would help her. He would take care of her as she so desperately wanted to take care of him. He could feel her anger crackling around him, an almost physical presence that brushed over his skin, raising the airs on his arm and prickling at his own power, making it stir in interest.

The black Aavan didn't let it spark to life, though, instead focusing his attention to Rora, rather easily so. His hand came up to cup the back of head and he lowered his mouth to her head again, speaking softly into her dark hair as his mingled with her own strands. "You aren't going to hurt me, Rora. I will never fear you. I will never need protection from you. You won't harm me. You would die first and I know it."

He pulled back then and looked down into her eyes, palming her face as he simply studied his mate for a moment before he leaned down again and touched her lips with his own, a gentle caress. "Get on my back." His mind wrapped around hers, bidding her to trust him and when she moved around, he reached back and took her arms, guiding her to wrap them around his neck and he reached back and helped hoist her onto his back. Mori moved to the edge of the ledge then and he brushed his fingers against Rora's arm.

"Trust me." he whispered to her before the black Aavan simply jumped. They fell then, hurtled toward the jagged ground below and Mori's body shifted, changed just before they would have hit the ground. Large wings snapped open and then went soaring back into the sky. The feeling was exhilarating, like nothing he could describe and now he didn't have to as his mind was linked with Rora's, reassuring any fear she might have had and at the same time letting her have the confidence and freedom, the pure joy he experienced when he flew...and he'd not flown in a long, long time.

His wings beat the air strongly, lifting them higher and higher into the sky. Mori had a destination in mind and he'd not forgotten at all the problems they both faced, but as he flew, he took his time in getting to their landing point, letting the Cerebra adjust to the air and perhaps feel some joy at the experience of flying.

Last edited:
She could have stayed there all day. It wasn't...perfect. No, far from it. She was still ready to hunt down each and every Cerebrae who'd ever "owned" Mori, still fighting the urge to walk back down the tunnel that had made him cringe and shudder all over again, to find the Aavan Elders who had been so mercilessly blind, still ready, still so ready to make them suffer the way he had, to make them beg for the same small kindnesses...and then turn the same deafness on them. The cruelty in her thoughts made her sick, but they soothed the anger, too, so she let them come. The black cloud of anger coiled with the black fog of chaotic insanity. It sent a shudder down her spine that she didn't try to fight.

But with Mori there, with fear and pain still coursing through his veins, with his soft blue coiled in her head, she felt better. He gave her some sense of purpose, of rightness. He was right. She would never hurt him. She would kill -- had killed -- for him, but she would never hurt him. And woe to any that tried to do the same.

And then he kissed her, and the darkness lifted. No anger, no chaos. Only light and Mori and the setting suns, only twisted strands of blue-gray light. And like it had the first time, his kiss burned and froze and she stood, momentarily paralyzed, her eyes blissfully unfocused until he drew her arms up over his shoulders, and she tightened her grip because she loved him, and --

"Uh...Mori? I trust you, bu -- " was as far as she got before her stomach was in her throat and her heart was in her mouth, and she'd had lungs before, right? Because she had been able to breathe once, able to scream once, and now she couldn't, because they were falling, plummeting, really, and yeah, Mori had wings, but not now, so what --

She felt him shift beneath her before she'd opened her eyes, and when he unfurled glistening black wings to pull them up short, she winced in sympathy before she realized they were flying. She was flying.

"...Mori..." It was all she could say. Part of that was because her heart was still pounding so hard against her chest that it hurt. Most of it was sheer speechlessness.

It was...magic. There was no other way to describe it. After a week of darkness in the caves, and the relentlessness of the suns in the desert, after a month of nightmares, and two minutes of torture, flying was...indescribable. Beautiful. Impossible. Magic.

"Mori, it's..."

Words failed her again, and she realized she was giggling and crying at the same time. Had there ever been hatred? Cold anger? Pain? She couldn't remember. She barely knew her own name. She only knew it was she and Mori and the world spread below them with the sky above, and he moved her through golden shafts of sunlight like some mythical creature she couldn't begin to name.

"I..."

And nothing. There were no words, not in her language, or his, to describe it. And so she let him in. The darkness had lifted, and the charcoal had lightened. She gave him no words or real thoughts, only emotions, using his tongue as much as her Empathy, and she showed him how happy she was, and still laughing and still crying, she leaned over and wrapped her arms around his neck the best she could and told him she loved him.

Her reaction was more than he could have every hoped for and Mori laughed with her, her words and touch causing pure, undulated bliss to sweep through him, an untainted happiness that saw him soaring higher into the last beams of sunlight created by the second sun before it disappeared, only leaving the third in the sky. He chased the light with the joy of a younger Aavan, one not weighed down by fears and worries, pain and grief. He reveled in Rora's happiness, shared his own and a powerful roar left his mouth, echoing across the sky.

The black Aavan's body twisted and turned, never threatening the Cerebra to fall, but thrilling her, speeding up adrenaline within them both before he took a dive down to the ground again, picking up speed that could rival a ship as his wings folded close to his body and the wind whipped past them in a frenzy. They got within detail distance of the earth below before he opened his wings just slightly, pulling up again with another roar that sounded more like laughter, spiraling in a few short circles before he leveled out again.

His wings ached a bit already, unused to the strain after six years, but they did as he asked as Mori finally slowed a bit and started back to the the ground at a more reasonable pace. He finally landed with nary a bump to ripple his body and he looked back at Rora, chuckling at her wind-blown hair as his tail reached back and lifted her down. He kept the appendage around her then, knowing it might take some time for her to regain her feet and equilibrium. There was only so much his mind within her own could do to ease the effects of flying on her body.

His violet eyes looked around in the meantime, though, at where he'd brought her. It was a deep canyon - a safe one made of red rock - with towering walls on both sides and a great landslide of rocks right before them. Mori knew that landslide had filled the canyon for miles and miles, and such had been that way for years. And he'd brought Rora here for a very specific purpose concerning those rocks.

Mori waited until she was stable on her feet before he released her and then brought his large head, the sunlight glittering off healthy black scales, down to her level. Warm breath brushed lovingly over even as he spoke. "I know you're still angry and you have every right to be. Such is the natural response when a bonded or a mate is threatened. Aavan expect such a thing from each other. In my culture it is not abnormal at all, Rora. It doesn't alarm me, nor does it surprise me." He sighed a bit and his nose nuzzled her hair gently. "Unfortunately, you have come from a culture that seeks to suppress emotions rather than learn and grow with them. I know how to control most kinds of anger because I was taught from an early age to accept my anger, recognize it and then find healthy ways of dealing with it."

His head lifted, looking down at her with clear love in his violet eyes, but worry as well and the calm confidence of a patient teacher.

"You need to release the rage you feel." His head jerked slightly toward the avalanche of rock, tons of it for miles on end. "So do so. Use your power, hit something, scream. Release it without the guilt that will come from harming something when you know you don't need to. Without the shame. Feel the anger and let it be free. Give it a moment in the sun, something to do. You will feel better for it."

Last edited:
He was exactly right: had his tail not been coiled around her waist when finally they found their feet again, she might never have found hers. And while it was true Rora was dizzy from the thinness of the air and the tightness of the loops he'd carved through the sky, she was also still just reeling from bouts of breathless, uncontrollable laughter. And the fact that she couldn't remember, for a moment, which way was up didn't help.

It wasn't that anything was particularly funny. The flight had been thrilling, all the right kinds of new and exciting and scary and rewarding. She wanted to do it again, every day for the rest of her life, if she could. She could feel the joy it brought Mori even as he stretched sore wings for the first time in six years. And to feel him so happy, so far from where he had been, in the Elders' cavern...and before...

It gave her hope. Maybe the two of them could be okay, after everything. Maybe there would be a happy ending. And the hope was enough to make her giddy.

It was a moment before she'd steadied enough for him to trust her to stand on her own, and another moment before she realized where they were. She was still studying the red canyon walls with an expression of mingled wonder and curiosity. Why had he brought her here? It occurred to her she could find the answer in his head, but she was happy. She was content to wait.

And then he began speaking, and he boundless joy faded.

He was right, of course. She had known the Aavan only a short time now, but in that time, she had seen rage and grief and love and sadness and jealousy and more, so much more, than she'd ever guessed the Cerebrae to be capable of. By contrast, her own people, despite what the Aavan and Mori and even Rora herself thought of them, weren't not intrinsically cruel. That would require some emotion, some bottomless well of passion that came from more than being born into a single, solitary position. The Cerebrae did not glean joy or boredom from their work. There was only a sense of duty, perhaps of satisfaction one discovered when they settled into the job they had been born for.

It was not so for an Empath, particularly not one as strong as Rora was. For her, duty was passion. Duty was love and grief and jealousy and rage and everything in between, and while the Cerebrae knew and accepted this, they didn't understand it. And so Empath were seen as weaker, smaller, useless. Sinitrus.

She had learned long ago to tamp away her own emotions, let alone those of others. If she were home, there would be no room for this insatiable darkness, this rage she felt at the Elders and the Cerebrae and herself for what they'd done to Mori. She would have hidden it, and it would have consumed her, and its consumption would have been the price of her weakness, of her status as Empath.

But here...she looked up with at Mori with eyes wide in cautious hope and doubt. Skepticism.

She started to shake her head, all while hoping he proved her wrong.

"No, it's...not right," she said. "Dangerous. I'll hurt someone, and besides, it's..."

But she broke off. There was no one around. He'd beeen sure of that, and she was even more sure. She could feel nothing but stone and sand for miles around, a sort of serenity she'd come to miss in her short time with the Aavan. And while throwing a temper tantrum was petty and dangerous...was it better to subject Mori to the possibility that her anger would explode one day and tear them both apart?

Cautious, almost shy, she reached out a hand and laid it on his muzzle, smiling affectionately.

"I love you," she said again, and then giggled, because it filled with with a tickling, bubbly warmth. And then, because she could never tired of saying it, one way or a hundred. "I love you."

Then, because she did love him, and she didn't want the anger to destroy him, she turned to the mouth of the canyon and the landslide that had filled it. She shut her eyes and exhaled and could feel enough stone to waste herself on for years to come.

She peeked open and eye and peered over her shoulder. "Are you sure about this?" she asked. "This...it seems..."

She trailed off and turned back to the canyon. No. He trusted her. And she trusted him.

She closed her eyes again. "Stay behind me," she said. "I'll put up a shield for you, but it only works when you're behind me. And if...something starts to go wrong, Mori, just...do whatever you have to do. Knock me out if you have to, just make sure everything...everything's okay."

Her palms were sweating, loosely fisted at her sides. Such a pretty dress. She hoped she didn't ruin it.

Reaching in, Rora held her breath...and opened the door.

When she spoke, he didn't answer, not in words anyway. No, he just lapped blue at the doubt, soothed the worry, whispered reassurance into the fear and he waited. He just waited for her to make up her mind one way or another. The anger wanted to do as he'd said, it was more than happy to, but the part of Rora that was gentle and kind and so worried about rejection was so very unsure about this idea. She'd been raised in a world of gray, much like her mind was. Yes, there was brilliant color around her, as if the Cerebrae were trying to make up for their mundane existence by surrounding themselves with beauty, but their world was of dulled emotions, dulled reactions so that any lash out of anger was viewed as heinous and any outburst of joy as strange. Risa had truly been unstable, yes, but some part of Mori could recognize that she might have truly been driven to that point by the very society she lived in. It didn't make her actions right, but the black Aavan could put some reason into them and that did help just a little.

He wouldn't see the same thing happen to Rora, though.

Mori would teach her about emotions. She was an Empath. She felt them, experienced them and could probably even manipulate them if she wanted to, but she felt too much without understanding. Swept up in the sensations, she didn't get the time to step back and truly see them. He would help her. He would teach her that overwhelming or not, no emotion was bad in and of itself. She was so very scared and abhorred at this rage inside her and yet Mori knew the anger, while a live thing by this point certainly, was not evil. And it hadn't done anything evil, either, despite what Rora wanted to believe about herself.

Killing Risa...had not been evil. Could it have been handled differently? Yes. But it wasn't evil. She'd been protecting someone Fate told the innermost part of her was HERS, was meant to be part of her life, was more important to her than anything else, was her mate and she'd acted accordingly. No Aavan on this whole planet would condemn the Cerebra for such a thing and as far as Mori was concerned, her own people didn't get a say in this. Not when they lacked the interest in feeling something so powerful it could compel you to move the very mountains themselves if you had to. Perhaps they did not lack the capacity to understand something that profound, just as Mori was sure his people could learn to talk, but right now they didn't WANT to and so they had no right to judge Rora when she so clearly was not like them in the least.

He chuckled lightly to her request that he stop her if she did something wrong and while he nodded and sent assent to her, he laid down calmly, one clawed paw draped over the other, his neck arched gracefully, tail coiled around him and twitching lightly in watchful interest. He wasn't concerned in the slightest. She would be fine and he was more than sure the shield wasn't needed. The anger wouldn't harm him. Mori knew he could walk through a hurricane of it and it wouldn't touch him, not one scale, not one hair on his head. He understood something about it that Rora was still struggling to comprehend.

This anger was FOR him, was in DEFENSE of him. It LOVED him just as fiercely as Rora herself did because it was part of her. It would not harm him. In fact, the black Aavan was going to test something further here today that Rora was not yet aware of and because she was new to his mind, he could still hide that plan from her for the moment. He would enact such a plan in a little while, but first to let her blow off some steam.

He felt the door in her mind open and the blue of his mind didn't move from that entryway, showing Rora something in that moment as the anger seethed and writhed....but didn't move forward. If it had, it would have hit him, harmed him and so it didn't move. Not one inch. His mere presence, without any fear from him in the least, was keeping it at bay and only when the blue of his consciousness moved, creating a funnel affect for it to escape through, did the rage surge forward.

And Mori settled down quiet in Rora's mind, simply watching with both mental and physical eyes the fury unleashed on the barren lands around them.

For a moment, Rora felt nothing, and she thought the anger was gone for a moment. She started to turn to Mori, honestly impressed and a little apologetic. Perhaps she hadn't been so angry as she th --

But when she opened her eyes, she didn't see Mori. Or at least, not as he had been. No gentle calmness about him, none of the lingering joy of the flight. The canyon was gone, too. Instead, she stood in a simple but spacious marble courtyard, the kind reserved for richer Cerebrae back in the Matriarch's city. There was a viewing window at the far end, opposite the mansion-like home. Clustered outside were a group of wealthy Cerebrae watching with expressions of mingled curiosity, boredom, and interest. Over their shoulders, Rora could see into the window, into a white cell. She didn't have to look to know Mori was in there, screaming. Starving. Dying.

She looked anyway. Just for a moment. It was as long as she could handle. She saw him screaming, begging for mercy, and a small, strangled whimper left her throat.

She found her anger.

The first stone was at least twice Mori's size, like thrice his weight. It trembled only a second before stilling and crumbling into a dust so fine, Rora didn't flinch as it washed over her. She didn't even seem to notice. Her eyes were shut, and her face was blank. But she shook from head to toe. The canyon had vanished. Before her lay hordes of Cerebrae, each and everyone one of them having turned a blind eye on Mori in his time of need.

She had obliterated three of the larger stones before Rora stepped out of herself again, watching, quietly impassive. The Empath in the red canyons had not changed physically. Her skin was a bit paler, the markings on her face a bit brighter. But she appeared to have shrunk within the canyon nonetheless, at least compared to the stones the landslide had produced. And yet not one of them gave her pause as she moved forward with an inexorable deliberateness, venting her anger while her mind strayed.

A Cerebra, a former Keeper called Pia. Mori's first owner. He screamed, she smiled. Rora struck.

In the canyon, six boulders rose into the air, whistling with speed, and collided overhead like an explosion of stone. The Empath had barely so much as flicked a wrist. Her eyes were still closed as she moved forward through the ever clearing canyon. The stones overhead, little more than pebbles now, began to rain down on the canyon, but before they could reach the earth, they picked up speed, becoming tiny projectiles to drive themselves into the hard, dead earth around the canyon, somehow avoiding the wide gap in the ground altogether.

Rora saw nothing. She had already moved further down the canyon, head bowed almost reverently. Her face had gone a bit paler, but it was difficult to notice from the trembling. For all the anger showed in her body, it left her face untouched.

Mori's second owner had beat him, struck him like some disobedient animal. The Empath drove several more boulders into the sides of the canyon hard enough to shake the earth and carve new caves. In her head, she could hear the Cerebrae screaming, pleading, like Mori had. Her finger nails bit into the palms of her hand, and she crashed another round of boulders into the sides of the canyon, again and again and again until neither remained, the formerly straight sides bowing and waving like fanatical onlookers.

The third owner earned the canyon a hole in the ground, a crater, large enough to swallow half a city. By the fourth, the air was whipping around the Empath and her Aavan both. In her head, she could hear screaming. Maybe the soil and stone, or maybe her own. She couldn't tell. She didn't care. She pressed forward.

The last owner was Risa, and it gave Rora pause, but the Empath in the canyon did not so much as hesitate. Every boulder, every tree, every shrub and speck of stone in a half mile radius raised itself off the ground, higher, higher, higher still, until the screaming wind threatened to carry them off. They began to swirl around each other, a great storm of debris, throwing off pieces to whistle through the air.

Before her, the Empath saw the Aavan Elders, and the Cerebrae who hadn't helped. Every Cerebrae who had ever owned an Aavan. The Empath was shaking so hard, she couldn't breathe. Blood dripped down her fingers from where her nails bit deep into flesh and stayed there. The anger had come full circle to devour itself and vomit a rage unlike any Rora had ever known.

The storm converged over the cruel Cerebrae and traitorous Aavan. Risa stood at the apex of the crowd, and beside her...Rora herself.

The screaming redoubled, and this time, the Empath knew it was the host she used. The Rora who existed outside of the monster could only stare. Twenty minutes the Empath had been raging. Her voice was, had been, little more than a tortured whimper. But at the side of herself leading those who had hurt Mori, the scream grew louder and louder still until it tore itself away in the eye of the storm. It was then she heard the word: useless. Sinitrus.

The Empath had been faltering. Stumbling, swaying, as the storm sapped her energy and anger. She paleness had been replaced with a flush to rival the brightness of her markings. The canyon had been leveled in places, carved deeper in others. Three inches of rubble and debris covered the ground in every direction for a quarter mile. Her hands stung where she'd cut herself, but that was less noticeable than how she struggled to breathe, or even stay on her feet. Her throat ached as if somehow had forced her to swallow broken glass. She felt dizzy enough to fall through the earth.

But at the sight of herself standing beside Risa, at the single utterance of the word, she broke. The mass of tree, stones, shrapnel and wind descended, fierce and fast, upon the imagined group.

The collision might have been mistaken for an explosion. The canyon itself appeared to tremble.

There was a moment of deafening silence.

Then, from the palpable cloud of dust, a small voice, hoarse, exhausted, but victorious.

"Mori?"

He was ready to step in the moment she might need him, might need someone to stabilize her, but as Mori watched, he became more and more convinced that this was something his mate needed to do, no matter how she shook, how she screamed, no matter the destruction she caused. It was only stone and dirt. She wasn't harming anything. Well, nothing but herself and THAT he didn't like, a growl in his throat that was lost in the chaos she created. He hadn't moved, though, staying on the ground and merely watching, feeling awe and wonder at her feats, worry about HER, but no fear. Why should he fear?

He didn't fear the storms that raged above when the sky unleashed its fury and he wouldn't fear Rora when she unleashed her rage. The black Aavan had half a mind to test his theory at the climax of her destructive wrath, but then thought better of it. No, he could test it another time. Right now she needed to vent and vent completely.

Her anger was a powerful thing, a hurricane outward and inward and Mori let it run its course in her mind, watching it, studying and learning how it behaved. It was back-washing on to her, lashing out at her, but though it killed him not to do so, he didn't stop it. No, this was to learn about WHAT the anger would do given free reign. Next time he would be prepared for it, but this time he was only here to be quiet and observant unless he was truly needed.

Mori wouldn't let the rage cause any damage to Rora that he couldn't bring her back from, but though it went against everything in him to let it play with her mind like it was, he didn't interfere. He would next time, though, guaranteed. But he needed to know HOW to do so. And though he was not alarmed by the fury and the devastation of the canyon around him, he was glad when the rage abated, fizzled out and though the earth continued to tremor, barely perceptible under his claws, he rose and approached Rora immediately at her call. His wings flapped strongly a few times without raising his body, merely shooing some of the clouded dust away from them for easier breathing.

His form shrank down when he reached her and it was without hesitation that he pulled her into his arms, holding her securely, providing a solid foundation for her shaking body to press against and a refuge for her frayed, raw mind as his blue consciousness finally moved and wrapped around her more fully, soothing the jitters there. "I'm fine. And so are you. Shh...breathe, little rainbow. Everything's all right now." he whispered into her hair, his hand stroking down her dust-covered hair gently, possessively.

He gave her minutes, several of them to just gain some balance against him before he looked down, tilting her head up gently with his fingers loosely holding her chin. Violet eyes met green then and Mori smiled. "I love you, and you did well." he told her with great affection before his head lowered and his mouth captured hers in a lingering, loving kiss that he honestly didn't want to part from. His voice sounded in her head even as he had not yet released her lips.

"You are so beautiful."

Last edited:
Reactions: DotCom
She felt his arms close around her, strong, secure, and let him support her. It was easy. Natural, even. Her head swam a bit, and she had yet to survey the damage she had done. But Mori was alright, and holding her, and she felt content and sleepy enough to let him. She shut her eyes and rested her head against his chest, and just breathed, not even trying to talk at first, knowing if it was an emergency, she could use his language.

But nothing felt emergent. Where she had been struggling to contain her anger not an hour ago, she felt lighter, free now. As if a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She felt giddy with relief, and was soon giggling into his shirt, still blissfully tired and thrilled at his voice in her ear.

She was glad when he kissed her. She was only half able to follow what he was saying, even staring at his mouth. The thought would have made the flush on her cheeks all the brighter any other time, but now, she only grinned broadly and swept a hand up to curl her fingers in his dark hair. The tremors had nearly stopped; her head felt to o fuzzy to register fear or concern. It was only Rora and Mori and their kiss, and then his voice in her head, and she smiled again and the kiss deepened.

Without pulling away, she answered him. "I love you, too. And thank you...for helping me."

She pulled back only when she had to breathe, and the schoolgirl blush still colored her cheeks. She grinned almost shyly up at him, her gaze just slightly unfocused, and goofy in its blatant admiration.

"It worked," she drawled, forgetting to speak inside her head. "I didn't think it would work, but you said it would, and it did...it worked."

Last edited:
Her fingers through his hair caused an instant purring sound in the back of his throat, tingles running over his scalp and a burst of happy comfort in his mind. He wanted to feel it again, to keep his lips locked with hers, but the need for air was too much and Mori was forced to accept that, chuckling lightly and kissing the top of her head again at her words. His hand rubbed her back gently, fingers working the knots out of her spine patiently and with a strong pressure while he answered. "I might not be an Empath, but I have been connected to a hive-minded species my whole life. I needed to learn to control my emotions lest I harm someone else with the intensity of them."

The Aavan's fingers on one hand moved back through her hair, carding through the dusky dark mane as he took another look around at the crumbled rocks, torn up earth and the cracking, caved in canyon walls. "We'll have to do this again for you." He looked down to her green eyes and tapped her nose affectionately. "I will show you how I learned my control and I will reteach you about emotions. They are not evil, not even this."

His head moved around again, indicating the destruction around them and then he looked down at Rora again before he moved back and his form shifted up. His tail came around to lift her onto his back and the large Aavan gave a rumble deep in his chest, his wings stirring more dust before he launched himself into the air. His body was tired and this time Mori didn't twirl and dive, simply flying back to the ledge they'd come from. Upon landing, he looked back to Rora again, studying her and then shook his head, amused all over again.

His consciousness curled through her own, a balm over the small damage the anger had done to her mind. "You need another bath, little rainbow." he teased softly before lowering her to the ground and then shifting down himself to take her hand and lead her into the tunnels. A shiver ran through his frame at the closeness of the walls, but it passed quickly as the tunnels widened again.

The black Aavan stopped, though, at a junction, looking to his mate once more. "Do you want me to take you to the springs again?"

No matter what she said, he was getting her hands looked at.

Last edited:
The flight back to the village seemed longer and shorter all at once. It was quiet, Rora half dozing on Mori's back, enjoying the golden light of the last sun and the new feeling of freedom Mori's wisdom, and her own caution had bought her. She was unsettled as to the nature of her rage -- how could something so singularly destructive not be evil? -- but she trusted him, and she could feel the day had been a long one for him. Too much in too little time, all with the pain of what the Elder's had done to him fresh and haunting.

She felt a flicker of fierce protectiveness at the thought, but it didn't threaten to overwhelm her this time, and when Mori led her back down the passage to the caverns, she only squeezed his hand, offering what reassurance she could.

She was content to follow where he lead, though when he stopped, she frowned and recoiled. The familiar aches following the bouts of uncontrollable anger were beginning to make themselves known, and as nice as the spring had been the first time, she had already been separated from him once. She may not have felt quite so leery as she did before they'd been to the canyons, but nor was she ready to let him walk the unfamiliar village alone. What if others asked the same of him? If all the Aavan shared a mind, how little would it take to knock the precarious perch from beneath him? Rora did not intend to make more enemies than she had found in the Elders, but she would not let them buffet Mori around like a leaf in a storm, either.

She clutched his hand all the more tightly, the pain in hers little more than a buzz compared to the thought of throwing Mori to the wolves.

"I've already been away from you long enough," she said in his language, hoping it would help to convince him. "Show me...show me anything. Your favorite spot, or your least favorite, or where you played as a child. Only don't...just be careful. Please."

Last edited:
Be careful?

Her response, the nervousness of it, concerned him and Mori brought his palm to her cheek, threading his fingers back through her hair as he watched her carefully. "Rora, what..." Mori paused in the question and instead of continuing it, his mind moved within her own, gentle but insistent as he caught the edge of her last thought and listened to it, the frown on his face deepening and then lightening again in understanding. Violet eyes came into focus again and the black Aavan shook his head. "No one is going to force me to do anything. The Elders are....different just as I am, but the rest of my kind are...simpler. The only ones who might ask that I share my captivity with them will be my family, but they know not to do it now. They care about me and will not want to harm me."

Mori let his fingers stroke the Cerebra's cheek for a moment with a slight smile. "I will be careful, though." For her sake, to make her happy, he would do anything. He took her hand again and moved down a tunnel that grew more familiar the further they got. He was taking her back to the Great Cavern, speaking mentally to Rora as they went. "I never much liked it here as a child. I couldn't see the sky and there was no keeping me underground when there was a storm." The memories flashed through his mind, through the threads of his mind and now Rora's as well. His first storm, the sickness that had been his power emerging for the first time, the second storm when puberty had hit, when he'd finally started to understand the joy the tempest brought him and then the storm that he was still unsure if he'd summoned or not when he'd lost his siblings. There were smaller memories of rainstorms here and there, but none like the three great thunderstorms that had rocked nearly the entire planet at one time.

The storm they'd had out in the desert had been categorized as a smaller one in his mind. He'd seen a great deal bigger and more powerful ones.

"My favorite place was within the jungle and perhaps I will show it to you tomorrow, but it is too late today." They'd come into the Great Cavern now and Mori instantly felt the eyes that came to watch him, the minds that instinctively reached out for his own, but then seemed to catch themselves as they realized he wasn't inviting them in. Most consciousnesses' backed off respectfully, but there were a few, perhaps six that circled around, almost as if they were looking for an opening to exploit and Mori's violet eyes found a few of the offenders, a brief showing of fangs making them retreat fully.

They were interest, a few angry and suspicious, but that did not call for an invasion of his mind and they knew it.

Mori didn't really realize his mental walls had bristled until he felt someone slip right past them with practiced ease and a deep, older voice came into his mind, extending toward Rora as well with experience born of years. "If you show your fangs anymore, your face will freeze that way, son." The voice chuckled and Mori's hostility instantly melted in a flood of excited anticipation and love as his eyes searched out the cavern before finally landing on the gold-haired, gold-skinned, green eyed Aavan approaching them. He looked so much like Rask - or Rask like him, rather - that there could be no doubt this was the siblings' father. A name, Casnar'siniKo - Cas - came strong to Mori's mind even as he detached from Rora and almost ran to the older Aavan.

His arms came around his father and a strong embrace enveloped him back. The black Aavan instantly felt like a child again, his face borrowed in his father's shoulder, inhaling the scent of forest and the unique scent that came from acid, something that really shouldn't have been so reassuring, but was. "Father." The word choked out of Mori with emotion and the older Aavan held him a little tighter, smiling softly.

"It is good to have you back, my son."

The males parted slowly and Mori roughly wiped the tears from his eyes, smiling back and then looking back at Rora, beckoning her forward. His arm wrapped around her waist gently as he looked back to his father. "Father, this is Rora. She can understand you."

The gold Aavan nodded, smiling down at her with a genuine kindness that fit well with Anesa's warmth. "I am Cas. It is an honor to meet my son's mate." He gave a wink to both of them, looking to Mori as the black Aavan grew red. "Your mother filled me in."

Last edited:
His words soothed her, though she supposed it was fairer to say it was his mind did the job. The Heart-Bond was a strange thing. Rora could think of nothing else that felt so right and so foreign at once. Had it really only been days since they were bonded? It felt a life time, and yet...there was so much she couldn't yet understand, even with Mori's quiet teachings in her head. And yet when he told her to settle, she did. Not just because of the instruction, but because of the internal willing it, a quiet whisper that spoke to her core even as the semblance of calm from his mind wrapped itself around her, firmly, lovingly. How she had ever been without him now, she couldn't guess. A month ago, even a week ago, the thought that she was so dependent on someone, let alone a stranger, would have bothered her. Now? Now it did not seem so dependent as...codependent. They were a team, watching over and protecting each other. Loving each other. His thoughts were hers and vice versa, no matter what she had yet to learn.

So she trusted him when he told her no one would pull him down like the Elders had.

And yet when they entered the large cavern, she went so suddenly rigid, it was a wonder she didn't break her spine.

The other Aavan either did not know or did not care that she could communicate with them. Understandable. They would either be too interested in Mori, or too disgusted by her, if they had known. If not? Well, she only had eyes for Mori as well. But she could feel the other minds intruding on him, looking to pry him open, out of the protective shell around his mind and the horrible memories there. Were they so stupid they couldn't guess his time with the Cerebrae might have been painful? He had sacrificed himself to their unfeeling ways, giving up his life for his sister, his people, and now they sought to break him down?

It was fortunate Mori knew her as well as he did. To have taken her to the canyon before brining her before these merciless creatures. Had she not expended all her energy in the canyon, she might have pinned each and every one of the offending Aavan against the wall, listening keenly as ribs popped under the pressure of her mind, until they begged for mercy like Mori had --

But he frightened them off first. He found a few of his "attackers"; Rora would have gladly pointed out the rest -- she could feel the greed and suspicion as surely as she could feel Mori's hand in hers -- but she was thrown off by another feeling, stronger than the others. The anger died instantly as Mori turned to face who could only be his father. He did look a great bit like the angrier of his two brothers.

Rora stood back, respecting their small reunion...and carefully eyeing the more inconsiderate Aavan behind her, as if daring one of them to go after Mori again.

When she heard her own name, though, she turned round to smile politely at Mori's father...Cas was the name her bonded sent, and a moment later, the gold-colored Aavan said the same.

Rora, too, blushed at the word 'mate', but only laughed at the look on Mori's face, and decided at once she liked this one.

"A pleasure to meet you as well," she responded as politely as she could, still somewhat unsure of Aavan culture. A Cerebrae greeting would have ended there, no further niceties to be had. But Mori's father waited, and because he was Mori's father, Rora did not shy away.

"I...thank you for...having me in you cave. Cavern. Er...home."

Cas' chuckle was deep as he looked down at the Cerebra, green eyes just as fierce as Rask's but tempered by a compassion and warmth of experience and years. "Home is correct, young Rora." he assured before looking to Mori and giving his son a slightly reprimanding expression that made the black Aavan cringe in the natural way a child does to a parent under mild disapproval. "You worried your mother when she and your brothers couldn't find you."

A flash of guilt streaked through him and Mori ran his fingers back through his hair. "Sorry. I...I forgot about...it's different being back..." He looked up from the cavern floor as his father chuckled again, settling a hand on his son's head from the side. "Moridryn, you're not in trouble." he assured the younger Aavan and Mori smiled just slightly, nodding. "I know. Tell mother I'm sorry for scarying her. I didn't go far and Rora was with me."

Cas' eyes flickered to the Cerebra and he rolled one shoulder, remembering clearly being tossed against the cavern wall the first day she'd been here. A smile came to his face. "Well, then I am sure you both had nothing to fear." The words were genuine, not mocking and Mori looked down at the Cerebra fondly, reaching up to ruffle some of her dusty hair with clear loving affection. "I was in the best of hands." He watched his father nod and felt some relief that this interaction was so very normal. He knew there would be akward moments with everyone around him, including his family, but to have a normal conversation with his father was nice. Very nice.

"How has your first day of interaction with my kind going, Rora?"

Mori came back to the present at Cas' words and he looked from the gold Aavan to Rora, taking the liberty of clarifying something first. "We saw the Elders this morning." It was all he said, all he needed to say and Cas' face grew a bit more thouhtful, the look in his eyes harder as his green orbs looked over his son with clear concern, a knowing expression before he nodded. "I understand." A smile to Rora. "I hope the rest of your day is better than the beginning was. They did not intrude on your mind, did they? They can be a bit abrasive, even if they mean well."

There was real concern in the question.

Last edited:
Rora went an offshade of pink at Mori's father's words. He wasn't teasing, she knew, which she appreciated. And it was better for him, for all of them, especially Rask, to think she wanted to protect Mori. Because she did, of course, and if was right, and she so hoped he was, she couldn't hurt him, not even on accident, not even if she'd wanted to, and she never had. But they knew, too, she was dangerous. Not to Mori, but to others. To the Elders. Maybe even to them.

She chewed her lip, about to offer an apology for having taken him away. She'd not wanted Anesa to worry, not after everything the older Aavan had already done for her. it didn't seem fair. Certainly if their roles had been switched, Rora would not have been so...gentle in her worry. She made a deicsion then that if it was up to her, her rage would not affect any of them, not Mori or his family, again if she could help it.

And then Cas asked about the Elders, and Rora felt herself sink. She nuzzled closer to Mori on instinct, though she wasn't sure whether it was for his sake or for hers. She had to remind herself he was standing there beside her, mostly whole, mostly healed, and that no one would get to him like the Elders had before, simply because she would not allow it. When she made herself think that way, it was a little easier not to be so angry. A little.

She let the exhaustion from the episode in the canyon wash over her, rocking back on her heels before she answered. Mori was right -- it would not be their last time to visit that canyon. Not if she could not learn to control the monster she was inside.

"No," she said finally, trying to keep her voice even. "Not my mind. Mori wouldn't let them. But..." She trailed off. She had not missed the brief exchange before his final question to her. And if Mori hadn't told him what the Elders had done, then it was not her privelege or right to share.

"No," she said finally. "They were...very courteous." The lie turned her stomach, but she said nothing else, sensing it unwise.

Mori instantly winced just slightly at the lie, knowing it was a lie and knowing his father would know it was a lie. Sure enough, Cas was looking at the Cerebra with the same reproving looking he'd given his son before and the gold Aavan shook his hold, folding his arms, not tight, but enough to show some disapproval. He wasn't harsh in it, though, simply letting the mistake speak for itself, assign its own guilt for a moment before he would settle the matter. Mori had grown up with such methods and part of him wanted to tell his father to knock it off for Rora's sake, but he also knew that such a reprimand wasn't harmful and could actually be good.

"Do not lie to me, young Rora. You'll never get away with it and no situation is such that it should be lied about. I know very well that the Elders were anything but courteous and I am well aware that they did something to or made Moridryn do something that caused him distress. My whole family felt it, though, I am sure not as keenly as you. This is not the first time Moridryn has seen the Elders and I know very well that they are not easy on him."

"Father..." The black Aavan said with only a small touch of warning, but more the tone one takes with a parent when said parent is getting carried away or revealing something the child would rather his friend or mate not know yet or hear from him and not the parents.

Cas looked back to his son and snapped his mouth shut, coloring just slightly at the slightly rebuking looking in MORI'S eyes. "Yes...well..." He rubbed the back of his neck and gave Rora a sheepish kind of smile that made it MORE than clear where Mori had inherited the expression. "Do forgive me, I did not mean to go on at you. I do sincerely hope you enjoy being here, in time though." He was clear he absolutely meant it, no lie in his eyes, only a slight embarrassment, mixed with warm conviction.

Mori shook his head but turned just a bit and kissed the top of Rora's crown, whispering aloud to just her. "He only does such when he cares. It simply means he's accepting you." he assured her, his mind soothing the anger he sensed had stirred at the mention of the Elders and then offering peace and the warmth of family security he felt around his father to her, to help her understand that even a lecture was done with love, for good and not for bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.