Prism

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rora closed her eyes and let him kiss her eyelids, her cheeks, her nose, caught somewhere between giddy and mesmerized. She tried to make herself pay attention, could tell by the tone of his voice, or not-voice, or whatever this was, that it was important to him, that he needed her to listen. But again and again she was caught off guard by her love for him and vice versa. It felt a little like drowning at times. A little like standing alone at the edge of a cliff, blindfolded, butterflies the size of the Aavan themselves coiled in her belly. And then someone came and pushed her, and she couldn't breathe and she couldn't scream and she fell, helpless, and she kept falling, and it was exciting and scary at the same time.

Other times, it just felt like warmth. Like maybe being with him was like living inside one of the suns, all warmth and light and so good, if she was dying, she didn't know it.

She started nodding before she'd even heard what he'd said, and then realized what she was doing and opened her eyes to look at him and made herself listen.

Did she understand?

She knew the words, yes. Even the ones that had been foreign to her. Heart-Bond. Nmaera-Amaa. Love. Mora. She knew them now because she was him, she was every breath he took, every beat of his heart, for better or for worse, for always. And the same, she knew, was true of her. Even if she did not understand the Bond at its most complex points, she could feel it. Feel it with more than her heart and her Empathy, feel it with every fiber of her being, and every fiber of the light purple strands that so vibrated with her love for him.

And if she sought answers, she need only look. She knew this, too. Knew it intrinsically now, even without Mori reminding her over and over. She also knew there was so much more she didn't know yet, couldn't understand until, like the love, she fell forward into it and it surrounded her, buoying her up, let her breathe it in.

But for now. He promised unity. Eternity. And while she couldn't grasp the words, she could feel his sincerity, and with a trust like she had never known before, she nodded, and she meant it.

She didn't kiss him. She didn't hug him. She didn't close her eyes and run her fingers through his hair, savoring the feel of him there with her, the memory, the thought, the knowledge, that he was there and would always be.

She just leaned forward and ducked her head against him chest, listening to his heart beat.

"Yes," she said finally. "Yes. I understand."

He'd waited, not pressing, not searching, just waiting.

And when she spoke, he knew she spoke true and it filled Mori with an incredible relief, a pride for his Cerebra as he wrapped his arms around her securely and held her close. He did nothing more than hold her, letting her mind calm and come into sync with his own again, just as his needed to do with hers. He could feel the remaining chill leaving his body, but he knew it was still in his mind, lurking at the tiniest little fractures, ready to gather together and converge only when the time was right. No wonder he'd not sensed them before. He still didn't, though now the black Aavan knew they were there.

It made him uneasy and that emotion grew over time so that it started to darken the sky above them, effecting the dream-scape and Mori sighed, leaning his head down to kiss Rora's forehead with a quiet whisper. "I love you."

So saying, he slowly let the mental image of himself unravel, the blue of his mind wrapping around the violet of hers as he pulled her gently from the place they'd been and back to the present. He released her back into her own body - not that she'd left, but most of her conscious mind had - and centered in his own.

Violet eyes had to blink a few times before Mori felt like the world was entirely in focus and he wasn't surprised that Rora was the first person he saw. He'd gathered her close again physically even as he'd done mentally and as she adjusted to the effects of a 'Visiting Dream' as his people called it, he looked to the two gold Aavan still in the cave-room, and still watching them. Rask looked to be a mixture of concerned and impatient - typical of his brother - and Con to be the picture of serenity and knowledge. The older Aavan raised a brow to the younger black and Rora.

"Are you ready to proceed?"

Mori sighed, but nodded, feeling the effects the cold had brought on his body, the exhaustion and fear that still lingered back in the real world. Con nodded back slightly and looked to Rora. "I believe you had questions you wanted answered, yes? Well, here they are for your inspection, Cerebra; Are you the only changed factor? Yes. From what I can tell, the way an Aavan lives does not affect the Ashkerai, so Moridryn being a captive for six years would not have mattered. As for interactions with other Cerebrae, no, there have been none. Moridryn has been the only black Aavan born since your people came to this world. And I hardly doubt eating anything would affect the shadows, Aurora. The only changed factor in all of the black Aavan history is Moridryn's bond to you. It is your mind that is curing him. It is something the Ashkerai have never seen before."

"Then why are they attacking him if this Cerebra is supposed to be such a repellent to them?" Rask snapped, glaring at the elder and Mori resisted strongly the urge to growl and snap at his brother for his insensitive words regarding his mate. Con answered calmly, though.

"Because even if Aurora is curing him, it's an ongoing process as the Ashkerai keep coming back in new waves. She can not protect him from that on her own."

On her own? Wait... Mori's eyes narrowed. "Con, how were the black Aavan protected in the past?"

"They were never fully protected. I have told you, young black, that all of them died in the end. But the Clan kept them safe enough, for long enough to let them do what they had to."

"How?" Rask snapped, wanting to help his brother. He didn't fancy hearing those kinds of screams from his sibling again. That kind of fear and grief. He would do anything and everything in his power to keep Mori safe, that was why he'd kept his mind open, constantly, to his younger brother even in sleep. He'd wanted to be the first to know if something was wrong, hence his quick reaction when the nightmare had come.

"The black Aavan is the only one who can connect to every Aavanian mind on this world. It is that network of connections that forms a shield for the black Aavan, but he has to call this connection to himself. It's not something I can teach."

Rora returned to herself slowly, and the first thing she felt was Mori's solid, warming weight against her back. She'd have known him from just about anything else she could have imagined, even with her eyes closed, even stepped mostly out of his mind, and it made her smile, despite everything that had happened.

She opened her eyes slowly and began to test, feeling her way about, as though she'd forgotten that she had a physical body. The first thing she did was reach behind her and lace Mori's fingers through her own. Only when she was certain that he was there, mentally, physically, emotionally, did she turn toward the waiting Aavan. Rask looked bothered -- almost laughably so -- but he wasn't the one she was concerned with at the moment.

Green eyes, determined, expectant, turned on the Elder, waiting.

His answers neither calmed nor unsettled her. She listened, patient and somber as she had ever been, her mind already racing through what she knew of Aavan and Cerebrae both. Anything to heighten her defenses around Mori and the darkness that threatened to consume him. When Rask spoke, she turned to him sharply, hearing not the insensitivity, but a challenge. She could not fault him for his question -- she'd had much the same even before Mori had taken her into his mind. But the subconscious challenge laid out and soon made explicit by Con's words set her teeth on edge.

Her first thoughts were petty, almost defensive in nature. Not protect Mori alone? Just watch.

And then she realized she was being foolish, that if his family, his entire people wanted to help, she would not stop them. Even if the desert Truscor offered whatever venomous provisions they could, she would not stand in their way, save between Mori's physical bodies and their bite. She felt the sudden tension trickle out of her body as she began to make provisions for others in her plans to protect Mori. Rask, Tac, Anesa and Cas. The Elders, for whatever good they could do. The jealous blue Aavan from her first time at the spring. Would there be animosity between them if they all sought to save Mori from destruction? She could not imagine it. She would not allow it.

Since Con's assurance that the other Aavan would take up the mantle in protecting Rora, she had blocked out the remainder of his words, but she stopped at his last, looking up abruptly, then chewing her lips, so deep in thought even Mori might have had trouble reaching her.

When she spoke, it was cautious, uncertain, as humble as she'd ever been in the presence of Rask, at the very least. She made the suggestion open to all of them. If there was even a chance it would not work, she wanted to know so she could revise her plan immediately.

"This...network you speak of..." she said slowly. "It is...a more expansive version of your language here? Of what Mori taught me when I first arrived?" She waited for an answer, then turned to Mori, her expression equal parts shy, determined, adoring. "Among my people, there is something similar, though it is nearly as rare as your black Aavan. I am called an Empath, and my nature allows me a sort of network with all my people, regardless of distance or number, or...What I mean to say is...perhaps I could help Mori. I do not know your tongue nor your Bonds as he does, nor any of you. But perhaps I can share what I do know in the way he lent your language to me."

Swallowing, almost nervous, she directed her gaze to Con, even and unyielding. "I know we have not been on the best of terms, Elder, and rest assured, I like you no more now than I did when you first exacted your mindless horrors on my mate." She kept the edge out of her voice with a great effort. "But we all seek to reach the same ends here, and so I ask for you honest opinion, cutting as it may be: do you truly believe I can help him? In this, or in anyway?"

She trusted Mori. She loved him with every fiber of her being, and would gladly give her life and more to save his. If he said they would survive the storm together, she believed it. But if she could ease the storm's passing, or divert it altogether, she wanted to know. And it seemed only Con and the Elders had seen this storm sweep through before.

"The network is made up of every Aavan. It is comprised of our language, thoughts, emotions and personalities. It something like what Mori taught you even as it is very different." Con answered simply, suspecting that a longer, more detailed answer was not what was needed right now as Rora went on. All three Aavan listened carefully and Rask had to wonder if he was the only one who was actually keeping some kind of tab on just how strange and rare both his brother and the Cerebra were. And two such creatures coming together as they had? Something was going on. Rask would never be an Elder as far as he was concerned, but any Aavan would not be able to deny that he was smart. Hot-tempered, hell yes. Rash at times, you bet. But he was far from stupid and he could see connections where others might miss them entirely.

Like how wherever Rora lacked, Mori was more than adequate to fill in the gap, help her, teach her even about things he shouldn't really know and how whenever his brother needed her, Rora was there completely, knew what to do, how to calm or how to help even if she was a bit more hesitant about it at times.

It was odd and amazing all at once, and he fully planned on speaking to Mori...no...no, both of them about it.

"I think I am learning not to put limits on what you can or can not do for Moridryn's sake, Cerebra." the Elder answered diplomatically and then pressed his palms together in thought, fingers against his mouth before he finally nodded a bit and then rested his arms back on his legs. Of all the Elders, he was certainly the most poised and accepting of his fate, no matter what it might be. Perhaps that came with having more than a thousand years under one's scales. And knowing far more than he would tell anyone, especially in one sitting.

"I do believe you can help Moridryn, but I also believe you should know more about what you are doing before you attempt to do so. This network is very much like what you experienced that day you met myself and the other Elders. All those minds connected to one another in a detailed web. That is what the network is, only grander and Moridryn will be at the epicenter. His mind would be connected to all of them down to the last child. He will need to build up to this point, of course, so I would recommend you both start with just the this Clan. There are about five hundred Aavan living in this caverns and throughout the mountain. They will be enough to guard Moridryn while he sleeps once he's connected to them."

"That means they will be able to see my thoughts, my dreams, everything while I sleep." Mori pointed out, a slight growl of unease in his voice, muscles tightening, body shifting slightly and Rask looked from Con to Rora and back to his brother, something clicking in his mind. He shook his head and laid a hand on his younger brother's shoulder, ignoring the flinch because Mori immediately relaxed again, his body realizing who the touch had come from, just needing that moment. "No, little brother. That is where your Cerebra comes in. She's the shield, the filter. Just as father was for mother when we were little and her mind had to stay open to us at all times. Remember?"

Understanding came to violet eyes and then relief and Mori nodded, relaxing a bit. Rora would create a shield around him, but not a wall, a net with thousands of little holes. The minds of the Aavan would be able to come through - and they wouldn't be giving her their thoughts or desires because their target was him - and they'd create a shield around Rora and him to keep the darkness out. As he brought in more mind, branched out further, the stronger the shield would become and in the meantime, Rora's mind would be curing his own without the new waves of Ashkerai coming in, reinfecting.

It could work.

He looked to his mate then, questioning, hopeful. "Is this agreeable to you?"

Rora was frowning, her gaze bouncing back and forth between Con and Rask and Mori and Con again, her mind practically whirring as she tried to grasp what was happening. She could easily recall the events of her first visit with the Elders...though perhaps not the parts he wanted her to remember. How they'd tortured and abused Mori, how they all tried to jump into her mind at once.

But she also remembered each of them taking up a place in her mind, the five of them speaking into and around her.

As to shielding Mori, she was more confident in that, even if she didn't understand how it was to work. As far as she was concerned, she'd shield him from anything, come hell or high water, and if the Elder said there was a way to protect him from the Ashkerai, to make sure he never woke up screaming again, she would find it if it killed her. If that meant sharing him with the other Aavan, or opening up her mind to ever Aavan who had ever lived, so be it.

She looked up when she felt Mori flinch, but looked back to Rask as soon as he mentioned her. She didn't understand what he meant -- about his mother and father and their youth -- but she didn't much care. She felt Mori relax behind her, and she did the same, trying to read his mind for some sense of exactly what was expected of her. She caught glimpses: a shield, a net.

And yet when he spoke, she nodded at once, her eyes hard with determination.

"Agreeable?" she said, too excited (and a little offended) to bother sharing with Con and Rask. "Your Elder tells me I may have a chance to save you, and you ask if it's agreeable? I would put out my own heart for you, Mori. Providing this shield, this...filter, whatever it is. It's beyond agreeable. If it will help you sleep, help you...fight against those things, then yes. I will do whatever is needed."

Mori had to smile at her words, the expression growing as she went on, fierce as could be. He'd hate to be on the receiving end of that anger, even just a tongue-lashing and when she was done, his palms found her face and he brought his forehead to her own with a soft chuckle. "All right, all right. It was a stupid question." he conceded, love and amusement pouring into her before he sighed and shook his head slightly against Rora's own. "It's a filter. The Aavanian's minds will be the shield. They will keep both of us from the Ashkerai and you will keep them from overwhelming me, but they won't overwhelm you because you're not the goal. My mind is and you're the net that lets them in but keeps my mind within itself, not scattered into theirs." he explained more thoroughly.

The black Aavan grimaced, a growl in his throat. He just didn't know how to do all this or how to teach her. It would most likely be trial and error with them. Just as it usually was.

"Have you come to an understanding?"

Violet eyes finally looked back to the Elder and Mori nodded. "Yes. We understand." Or at least he thought that they understood as much as they could right now and Con nodded, moving to stand, his old bones creaking as he did so. "Good. There is more to say, but the day comes and so do duties. When you are ready to hear more, I will speak to you, but now I must get back to the others. I think enough has been addressed for this night."

Mori nodded, standing as well and he pulled Rora up with him, but when he extended his mind, for the first time he did not include Rora, needing to ask something he knew would upset her. "Elder, am I going to die? Is this war I must fight...will it kill me?" He asked it calmly, almost numbly for that was how he felt about it and Con regarded him with both tranquil wisdom and some sadness lurking deep within his eyes. "History tells us such, yes." he replied softly and the black Aavan merely nodded as the Elder then left, looking back to Rask. His brother didn't waste time in speaking his own mind.

"You look like death warmed over, Moridryn. Take a bath." He ruffled the black-haired head and Mori ducked with a growl and a flash of his fangs, but the contact made him feel a bit better and the gold Aavan looked to Rora, seeming to debate something for a moment before he spoke just to her, his brother unable to hear.

"I am not sure I like you yet, Cerebra, but...you are good for my brother. That I can respect. Take care of him." He shot Mori a glance and opened up his mind to both of them, grinning. "And for star's sake, make him wash!"

He laughed, ducking the swipe Mori aimed at him before he stalked his way out of the cavern, knowing he was no longer needed. The day was starting anyway and he was going to see if he could take a nap before Tac woke him and he had to try and not be grumpy with their father on patrol. Fat chance of that.

Rora watch first Con, then Rask leave before turning on Mori, incredulous.

"What?!? Where are they going? They're just going to leave? But what about the...the network? The shielding? The Ashkerai? He said you'd been infected for years now, why aren't we doing anything about it?"

She studied Mori for a minute, green eyes wide and flicking over his face as though she could uncover and answer through sheer force of will and annoyance, before getting fed up and storming after Rask and Con.

She made it as far as the entryway to the cavern before getting frustrated again when she noticed Mori hadn't followed. She turned and all but stomped her foot impatiently.

"Are you coming? I'm going to stop them, we need to set up this network now, or...the sooner the better, right? I mean, you won't even be able to sleep until we get started, so can't we get started? I'll filter everything for you, that's what you said, I won't let them overwhelm you, and they'll be a shield, and we can start turning the Ashkerai back now, and I can start healing you now, Mori, what are we waiting for?"

She didn't give him a moment's time to answer, already striding back toward Mori across the cold floor. Rask had said something about a bath, but she'd dismissed it. He'd also said something about taking care of his brother, and hell if she was just going to stand around watching him, when there was so much more she could be doing.

But...he did look rather rough around the edges. She was certain he could use more sleep, and she was certain...certain enough she could keep the nightmares away long enough for him to catch a nap. Her Pusher abilities weren't as strong as her Empath or Telekinetic powers, but she was learning. Between that, and the Heart-Bond, she could give him a little rest. He looked so tired...worn...the remnants of the cold still leaving his body...

Her mind went to the spring so quickly, she was almost annoyed with Rask for having mentioned it at all. She slowed her exasperated marching mid-stride, and her face softened reluctantly as she drew closer to Mori.

"Oh, alright..." She reached him and circled her arms around his waist and buried her face in his chest and just stood there for a second, forcing herself to calm. She was there. He was there. And as long as they were together, she could protect him. Heal him.

Besides, if a bath meant he could fall asleep easier, she was all for it.

"C'mon. Let's go to that stupid spring. Let your brother think it was his idea."

He didn't answer her first flood of questions, trying to think of a response she'd understand when it was so clear to him and his spirit was calm about it. But his mate was already moving away, already speaking again and when he felt the wave of frustration that came over her, directed at him this time, he winced. It was a reaction he shouldn't have had, not in the least with the Heart-Bond and the Mate-Bond, but it came anyway and he knew why.

The Ashkerai were evil. Everything they touched turned cold and bad, corrupted and unhealthy, and that's what they were trying to do to him. So in this moment, feeling that frustration directed toward him, it caused a flare of fear, a memory of frustrated Cerebra owners in his past and though Mori knew he would NEVER associate Rora with those people, the darkness still in his mind had twisted that emotion from his mate to work toward a darker reaction from him. It caused a flood of shame the moment he realized what he'd done and the black Aavan stayed where he was, feeling like he could cry again, but forcing himself not to.

He was rather grateful for Rora's anger now. It meant she was not paying as great attention to his own emotions.

Mori caught the last edge of her questioning and he looked up, a slightly lost expression to his face as she marched toward him and then slowed. He had some trouble holding her eyes, still feeling twinges of guilt for the fear he'd felt and when her arms came around him, he hugged her tightly, both relieved and slightly desperate. He nodded against her head, hardly really aware to what he was agreeing to as his frame gave small trembles, his body fighting the chill back again.

The black Aavan said nothing of it, though, taking Rora's hand, but letting her lead. It was something she could do by this point. "They...they aren't doing anything because they can't, Rora. You heard the Elder. It's up to me, to you to figure out how to do this part. He'll give us more when we've mastered this. That's only fair. Its-" He cut off when she pulled him toward the springs. It was then that he understood where she'd been taking him all along. His body stopped immediately, a good five feet from the water itself and his eyes had grown huge in his face, pupils dilated as true fear swept over him. No. No, he didn't want to go in there. He didn't want to feel that pain again.

No. Please don't make him go in there. Please.

But he needed to. A small voice, perhaps even the sense Rora herself provided in his mind whispered that he needed to. Mori was just terrified of listening to it.

Reactions: DotCom
Rora knew the way to the spring almost by heart now. She'd lost count of how many times Mori had taken her there, sweating, exhausted, exuberant, after a session in the canyon, her hair caked with dust, her body streaked in sweat cutting trails through the grime. She'd always been so tired and grateful by the time she'd gotten there, she'd never noticed Mori slinking off, leaving her with Anesa. She'd assumed he was shy, giving her privacy, and she loved him for it.

How could she have gone this long without realizing the truth?

She felt him pull up short at the edge of the pool, and turned, expecting him to be preparing, stripping down to cropped pants or breaches to swim or bathe. But when she turned, he hadn't moved. He wasn't even looking at her, the end of his arm might have been trailing along in a giant black hole. His eyes, wide, terrified, gazed straight over her head and into the water, and the paleness and the shivering had return.

For half an instant, Rora bristled, expecting the Ashkerai to have emerged from the pool. Her mind hadn't even touched his when she remembered the real reason.

it all came back like a flood, if that flood was made up of solid brick and stone, instead of just cold water. It hit her so hard she could hardly breathe for a second, and she swayed, trapped between a traumatized Mori and her own guilt.

She saw it all like flash frames burned into her brain. Risa's face. Mori's howls. His body, racked in pain. The fear rolling off him in suffocating, dizzying waves. She could feel it all now, and for a second, she was paralyzed, just staring at him, wanting to pull him out like she had before, sweep him up, wrap him in a blanket of her own protection.

The seconds passed like hours until she remembered that she could.

Forcing herself to take a deep breath, she shoved away the fear and the anger the memory stirred up and replaced it with calm. Calm, quiet, trust, love. Mori would need that, he would need it all. Her first instinct had been to spirit him away from here, take him somewhere soft and dry where he could forget that she'd ever done this to him, just as insensitive and callous as the Elders had been that first day. It would be easier, cleaner, less painful for him.

But he would not be able to avoid the water forever. Not even with her there to protect him. Even if he somehow could spend the rest of his life away from the springs, from the oceans, lakes, and rivers like he'd pulled her from on their second night in the forests, he would never be free. He would never be safe from the water, from the memory, or from Risa until he could face it. She did not want to push him. But she knew she had to.

"Oh, Mori," she said softly, forcing her frozen feet to move, and once she was moving, it was easier. Almost. "It's alright. I know. I know. C'mere." She took a cautious step toward him, then another, and a third, until she was right up against him, could feel his heart hammering against her. She reached up with both hands on either side of his face and gently guided him to look down at her.

"Mori," she said again gently, aloud, then in his language. "Mori. Love. C'mon. Listen. Listen to me. Look at me. Look at Rora, okay? Not at the water. Not right now. Just me. I need to know you can hear me, okay?" She stood on her toes and kissed him, light and soft and gentle and quick, before pulling away and looking at him again, her hands still to either side of his face.

"Mori? Can you hear me?"

Touch.

He knew touch. There had been no touch in the water. He wasn't in the water. No. No, he wasn't in the water. There was touch, a voice, a soothing voice even as he couldn't make himself comprehend the language the words were spoken in. He knew that he knew them, could understand them, but something in his mind was refusing to work right now and so they didn't make sense in the least. But touch did and his body trembled against the smaller one that pressed against him, his eyes snapping from the water to the face of the Cerebra he loved, still terrified beyond belief that somehow he'd suddenly be in the water.

Lightning was flaring along his skin, just avoiding Rora, but still unhappy, defensive as it answered his fear with aggression. The power wouldn't hurt Rora, though, not his mate. Never her. But it WANTED to lash against something, that it would not be denied, even if lashing out would cause him pain.

Words.

Words he understood as they swept into his mind, following the violet threads that went before them and Mori finally took a breath, a shuddering, hitched, ragged breath that seemed to release his body from the stiffness that had come over it. The black Aavan seemed to want to collapse and bolt at the same time, and he whimpered deep in his throat, the sound verging on a keening noise as he looked at Rora as told. The kiss prompted him to take another breath as he shook, prompted him to actually continue breathing without any outward stimulation now and he raised his hands, grasping her wrists lightly as the lightning continued to flicker and streak over the rest of him.

"Y-yes."

It was was a whisper before he tried to shake his head, finding it nearly impossible with Rora's hands on his face. "I-I don't....don't w-want to. P-please...I don't..." Another shudder rippled through his frame as his eye flickered back to the water and then wrenched away again to the Cerebra, pleading and scared.

Last edited:
For the first time, Rora began to understand the gravity, and the direction behind the session in the canyon. A month ago, even a few weeks ago, Mori's fear would have sparked a reaction in her, a combination of helplessness and terror, and pity and guilt and anger -- mostly anger -- that would have sent her tearing down the nearest walls to find something, someone to blame for his incapacitation.

But now, as she felt that guilt and rage rise in her, she shoved it away, pushing it to the back of her mind even as she drew a new, calmer Rora before her, gently flooding into Mori's mind to soothe the rigid, trembling strands of blue there. It was easier for her to speak, but she knew the Cerebrae language meant nothing to him now.

She gently extracted her wrists from his grip, the violet in her mind nudging up against the blue there, a quiet, solid, imitated reminder that she was still there, and put her arms around his waist again, because she did not want to let him go. And she was a little afraid he was going to collapse.

"I know," she said quiet, gentle, and her mind jumped ahead, trying to remember how Mori had calmed her after the Ashkerai had attack his mind. How he had drawn her into that meadow in his head. "I know you don't. It's alright. We wont go anywhere. Not yet. Just listen to me and relax, alright?"

There was lightning, arcing in pretty blue white sparks across his shoulders and back, and she watched it carefully, more afraid for him than for herself. She did not think he would hurt her, even by accident, and she wouldn't care if he did. He was frightened right now, traumatized, and he needed her.

"Relax," she said again, still not moving from her position, holding him, supporting him. Slowly, her hands traced patterns on his back, seeking to ease the almost painfully rigid tension from his spine. "I'm here. It's alright. You're fine, Mori. You're fine." She spoke in his words, with his calm, the violet strands become a cool, quiet sea in his mind, soothing the jittery, sparking paranoia the blue had worked itself into. She also spoke with her abilities as Empath and Pusher, coaxing words of calm into his psyche. Not pushing. Never pushing, only suggesting.

Easy. Relax. Trust. Breathe. Calm. Calm. Calm.

And as she spoke, she began to recall how he had pulled her into himself, creating that private little glen where the fears of the real world could not invade, and she made their own, a perfect replication of a place she had played as a child on her own. Green grass, small flowers, violets. The sky overhead crisp and clear and blue as Mori's mind had been.

And behind her a small, still pool.

She stood there in the world she'd created for him, and she kissed him again, reminding him without words, there was no darkness here. No Ashkerai. No hatred or rage. No cruelty. No Risa.

"Trust me," she said softly. "Just trust me, and relax, Mori. We'll move when you're ready. Alright?"

• Love
Reactions: Kaisaan
Relax. She wanted him to relax, but Mori was unsure he knew how to do that anymore. He still shook so badly, the coiled tension in his body both threatening to keep him locked as he was and to shatter him, but Rora was here. She was here and she was keeping him together. She was asking him to listen and so he did. He listened to the calm beat of her heart and the way she kept telling him to relax, that everything was all right. He centered himself on her touch and his body trembled and shook, but the tension started to fade, his spine starting to unlock, rigid muscles loosening slowly, inch by inch.

The fear wasn't gone, but as the violet of her mind started to work over the crippled blue of his own, trust started to seep in to the terror, shedding light on it slowly. It was pale at first, but started to grow brighter with time. His outward breathing grew a bit steadier, his grip on Rora not so tight and the lightning started to fade, not so wild anymore, not so intense as his mind began to calm, being drawn into the landscape the Cerebra wanted him to see.

The panic seeped away then, having no welcome here and he had enough time to look around, spot the pool, before Rora was kissing him. The bliss, the pleasure that rushed through his entire system was a shock, an electric current he felt completely, but hardly a bad one. Never that. It centered him, reminded him of who he was, who Rora was. She was here. She was here and he wasn't alone. Risa was not here. No darkness or terror, pain or cruelty was here.

Only Rora. Only his little rainbow and she was telling him to trust her.

Mori felt the lightning on his physical body die down completely as his mental eyes looked to his mate and he nodded slowly, feeling no fear here. There was no place for it. He was calm again and his hands came up steady to cup her face, kissing her back softly, feeling once more the powerful love and devotion, heaven that such a simple action provided. He inhaled deeply and finally looked over at the pool she'd created here without the terror he'd shown before.

"I don't want to go in. I know I should, but I don't want to. I'm scared to, scared that I'll lose control and the pain will come again." He could explain it calmly here, in this place she'd created in a way he could have never done in the physical world. Violet eyes looked to Rora then, not pleading or scared, but somehow slightly worse. They were vulnerable and so very young, trusting because the root of his problems with water didn't actually stem from Risa, but much further, deeper than that. Back to his childhood and it was with a child's eyes that he looked at her now.

"Will it hurt? It always hurts."

Something lurked in his mind then, a memory that hovered just out of reach of the violet threads in his mind, a place that Rora had not yet gone, perhaps for respect of his family or his memories of Asesee. For whatever the reason, they were memories untouched just as some in Rora's mind were not yet seen. His was a memory of childhood, but it was not a good memory, one of the ones he tried to keep locked away.

It had escaped now, though, brought on by the fear it had first bred in him.

Last edited:
Before the new memory, a darker shade of Mori's own soft blue, washed over her, closed over her head, settling atop the violet, momentarily at least, Roa had a memory of her own.

It was not good, or bad, though it had come at a tumultuous time. More importantly, it was young and strong and fresh. She grasped it and strung it between her hands and studied it close even as Mori spoke.

"I...I can protect you," she said slowly, hardly even daring to look at him as her mind still twisted and prodded the young memory. Then, feeling stronger, more certain, she said it again. "I can protect you!"

She looked up at him, half afraid to hope, but desperate to be right.

"The way you did for me back in your cavern. When you blocked my anger so I wouldn't -- couldn't -- hurt the Elder. You became a shield, a blanket. Mori, I can do that. I'm not afraid. You won't hurt me. And even...even if you do, I can stop it. I know how, Mori. I'm sure of it."

She paused, gathering up some of that calm purple, the essences that screamed most strongly of her. She was in the field in her mind with Mori, she glass-still pool standing, waiting, behind them. But in his head, she saw the tall, blue-white pillar of lightning and approached it slowly, drawing as close as she ever dared. If she was right, she could make herself the shield, the conduit. To get to Mori, to work at all, it would have to go through her.

Could she contain his power and he had contained her rage? Her rage had been a powerful thing, but he was an Aavan and her bonded, her mate, with a lifetime of experience with the new connection. She was learning new things even as the days began and winded down and new threats appeared on the horizon.

And yet she faced the sparking pillar without fear, knowing Mori would not harm her if he could help it, and moreover knowing if he was hurt again, it would only be after her death. She would die to protect him, and do it without hesitation.

She showed him all this together in the field, and before the blue-white enigma that was his power.

"Do you trust me?" she asked. "Mori, I can protect you. I know I can. I promise."

It was the last thing she said before the truth of the memory and the water washed over her, eating down to bone.

She was right.

Anything he could do for her, she could do for him and while he'd never heard of one Aavan containing the power of another, he also knew that his power would not harm her. Him...him it could harm, but not her. It would lash back at him without hesitation if it meant not hurting her. She was right. She could contain it. The lightning would NEVER harm her, kill her. The very thought made it shy away from where she was, like a living thing and in a way it was. Not even Mori understood all of what it was, what it could do, but he knew it was as loyal to Rora as he himself was.

If she caged it, then it would stay and docilely, just as her anger had done for him.

He knew all this, let his mind communicate it even as it became known in his head. He trusted her. Completely and he knew she could do it. He knew she'd never break her promise. He knew, believed her, just as he always would. "I know. I trust you." he answered back softly, stroking a few fingers down her face with some faint pride for her quick thinking, learning, and some hope for what it could mean.

But the memory still came, needing, screaming to be heard. It had been in the dark for too long and his power, not yet contained, flared angrily, the blue-white pillar flaring with sizzling streaks of the same raw power, around her, over her, but never touching. It was as scared as the child in the memory and so it lashed out, not having an opponent to fight this time, not having one then either, but so desperate to protect itself that it didn't care, couldn't stop even as it caused its own bearer agony.

--

He hadn't meant to go out so deep. Mother had said never to let his feet do all the walking without his eyes scouting ahead first, but he'd forgotten. Only six years old and just starting to come out of his shell after his sister's capture three years before, Mori was all childish charms and young a mop of black, shaggy hair. He only barely knew how to swim, his brothers still in the process of teaching him when they weren't too busy doing things that were much to 'grown up' for him. At ten they were quite sure they were the most amazing things ever, though, the shadow of losing their sister hung over them as well, especially Rask.

So Mori had taken to playing on his own today in the springs.

It wasn't long before he'd found himself out too far, too quickly and though he'd tried to swim back, he hadn't been able to find the shelf he'd floated off from. He struggled and kept trying as the undercurrent from the springs pulled him further out into the middle. His arms and legs were growing so very tired. That's when the first twinges of fear came, finally stilling his arms, legs so that his head went under. He screamed then, mentally, physically and then came up again, still screaming, trying to gulp in air. It hurt! Something
hurt! He screamed again, catching the streak of lightning coming off his own body, something that had only recently occurred with his first storm. He didn't know how to control it. He hardly even knew what it was.

And it was hurting him.

The agony was unbearable, especially to a child so small and Mori sobbed as he struggled to stay afloat, the pain making him rigid, sending him under over and over so that he could hardly breathe anymore and once more in his young life, he knew what terror was. He'd felt it losing his sister. Now he felt it losing his own life. And then he saw the grown Aavan on the spring's edge, coming in after him and the first whispers of relief started to form.

They turned to complete horror as the large form of the Aavan suddenly started to writhe with deafening billows, the lightning crawling over the blue creature like snakes. It died. He knew when it died because the roaring and keening stopped, the presence in his mind fizzled and sputtered out of existence, and the large body crashed down into the water. The wave sent his own small body away from the middle of the pool and to the edge, washing over until his claws could latch on to the stone as the water went back into the spring. His form shifted again and he curled into himself, sobbing uncontrollably as the lightning continued to ripple over him, his heart heavy with what he'd done and the horror he'd seen.

It was hours before anyone could even touch him, even his own family for the threat the lightning posed.

--

The memory threatened to penetrate, to shatter the dream-scape Rora had brought him into and Mori felt the tears dripping down his face in the physical world. He was shaking there even as his mind was kept calm with Rora and he took a deep breath in both places, eyes closed. "His name was Neol'Morn. He just trying to help me and I...I killed him. The Elders, they held a trial and it was deemed an accident." he whispered to her.

There was acceptance there, acceptance that it wasn't his fault, but the terror had never left. The helpless feeling and the complete absence of touch, of physical comfort after the horrific event had seeped down down into him, effected everything, leaving something raw behind, breeding complete terror that had served Risa well when she'd gotten to him. It now presented a challenge to Rora.

It was one Mori wished both of them could do without

Last edited:
Rora felt many things on many levels as she stood, watching Mori relive the memory of the death of the Aavan called Neol'Morn.

Pain. Pain was first, and it was not just the emotional pain she might have guessed. Whether the lightning was hurting the gentle blue, or the Mori in the glen in her head, or the Mori who stood just in front of her in the spring cavern, she couldn't say. It didn't matter. He was hurting, and she felt it, vibrating through her bones, fresh and familiar as the first day of spring. It was a good pain. It reminded her of what she was, what she had been before she'd found Mori. It was a simple, shared pain, nothing to do with the Bond or being a Telepath or a Pusher or a Dreamer. This was an Empath sharing the physical ailments of another soul, and, bad as it was, it was refreshing.

It was also damning. Because she could feel what it did to Mori, and she hated it, and hated not being able to lash out against it. She hated the fear and the guilt and the horror that he felt. She hated Risa for reanimating long dormant memories, even if she knew this was what Mori needed. She hated being the one to make him change. She hated the dead Aavan for his stupidity and his bravery, and she hated herself, because she knew she'd have done the precise same thing if Mori was in trouble.

She hated that she could feel how afraid he was and do nothing to stop it. Standing there before him, in the trembling world of her mind's creation, in the pitch black of Mori's mind, struck through with violet and blue and white, all vying for her attention, in the spring cavern where Mori shook and trembled, and she longed to hold him, cradle and protect him, she watched, paralyzed, not with disgust or pity, but with fear.

The fear she felt was not Mori's, and did not stem from him. The fear she felt was her own. Because she knew how to fix the problem. And she was terrified of the cost.

She could see in his mind Mori had let go of the blame, knew what had happened was not his own fault. But he had never gotten over the horror, over the memory of needing someone so badly, and yet being alone. She could feel how it ate at him, how it had made itself the center of his life, how every fear and hope and passion had been built on top of it, so strong and so deep, even Rora had never seen it until now.

The idea that came on her was sudden and fierce and bold and she hid it away from Mori before he could even begin to sense it. It took a great deal of effort and finesse to hide anything from him at all, and something as big and bright as this was made it all the more difficult. She didn't care. If Mori saw it now, half-primed and naked, she knew it would undo him forever. Even if he could learn to let go of the fear, even if she could get him to swim again, even if things went back to normal, he would never be able to let go of that seed of doubt that he would remain alone in his times of darkest need, because he could not contain his power.

And therein lay the fear, just one part of a bigger piece. What if her plan failed? What if it pushed him too far, too quickly? What if he saw it as a trick, a trap? An attempt to hurt or push him? What if he saw in her something else? Something cruel and exploitative? What if the plan worked...and she hated him for it?

The last thought made her shiver slightly in the real world. If Mori could live happily, free of guilt and fear and pain, then she would have done her job. But she knew she could not live with him hating her. If the plan worked and yet backfired, spraying the fire of his loathing in her face, she would leave this place. She would tell Rask what she had done, and she would rely on his hatred, fiery and passionate, to remove her from Mori's life forever. Mori would be too soft, too gracious. And she could not bear that.

Slowly, she began to comb out the plan.

She knew Mori's lightning could not, would not harm her. But the lightning as he knew it, and the lightning once it left him appeared to be quite different things. In moments of self-defense, she had seen the lightning crawl over his body, and she had even touched him while this happened. The lightning would not harm him, nor would it touch her -- and so they remained safe. But in the water, with a new medium, the lightning became treacherous, both to Mori, and anyone else in the water. That it had not harmed before made no difference. The water made it a danger.

And yet, in the blue and violet planes of their mind, she had seen the lightning would do no damage. Mori had confirmed she could hold it back, contain it. If it was contained there, it could not find a way out.

And then there were the safeties. These, she let Mori see, speaking as she did.

"He was different," she began after a long while of silence, and again, she Pushed the words she had before, words of calm and relaxation, willing the blue strands of Mori's mind, and the blue-white fingers of lightning, into a peaceful wave. With a great effort, she willed the dreamscape around them into a similar peace. The glasslike water behind her had still not moved, not so much as a ripple, even when Mori's memory threatened to tear the world apart. And in the real world, she laced her fingers through his and stood closer, lending warmth, strength.

"He was noble and he was brave, Mori, but he cannot do what I can. When you started to panic in Risa's pool, I saved you. Remember? I lifted you from the water, and you lived, and you'll live now. You are better, stronger than you were. And you have me. And nothing, Mori, not distance, not my people, nor yours, not the darkness, not the Ashkerai or anything they breathe, touch, think, or dream will keep me from you. Not now. Not ever. I am yours. Forever and for always, I am yours, and I will be here."

Then, carefully, slowly, she opened her eyes and stepped away. She kept the secret to herself, and very, very slowly dissolved the world she'd created around them. She kept the violet strand wrapped warm and close around the blue, and she built up a wall around what remained of the pillar, protecting, containing, insulating.

She kept her mind pressed flush against his even as she rose to her toes to kiss his cheek, cold and clammy with sweat, before slowly backing away. She smiled at him and kept her voice, her presence, in his head.

"I'm going to show you," she said slowly, feeling apprehension coil in her belly. This was it. The plan would work or it would not. Or else...it would work, and he would hate her for it. And she would not be able to live like that. She knew it well. And she knew then she would throw away their relationship, her life, to see him happy. It was the greatest sacrifice she could imagine.

"I'm going to show you you are not the boy you were. You have me now, and I will never leave you. You and I, Mori. We'll change things. We'll contain your power. We'll save your family and your people. And you will never be alone. I'll show you. Just...trust me. As I trust you."

She stood, staring at him for a moment before turning abruptly, taking a running leap, and throwing herself into the spring, as near to the center as she could manage.

--

The spring was deeper than she'd expected, a necessity, she supposed for the Aavan who bathed there. The dark blue dress she had been in ballooned gracefully around her until she knotted it at one side to keep it from tangling around her legs. She had always just lingered on the side of the pool, bathing quickly to reunite with Mori, but now, as the warm water closed over her head and pulled her under, she felt a spurt of hope and fear both.

Hope, because the new, engulfing warmth made her think something new and good could come of this.

Fear...because if things went wrong, she would hurt Mori, at the very least, and...lose him, at the most.

She let herself sink for a moment, thinking it was too late to back out now. She felt her mind still pressed up against Mori's, and let him feel her calm certainty, the warmth and love and trust she felt for him. She let him feel, too, though on a much, much gentler scale, a hint of urgency. She was not in trouble, was not in pain. Did not want to frighten him. But she needed him.

It was only seconds later that she kicked back to the surface, allowing herself to gather her bearings before opening her eyes. There were still the safeties she had put in place. She was certain she could remove both Mori and herself from danger, should any arise. But she was certain -- certain -- that none would. What frightened her was the idea of Mori getting the wrong idea. She had tried hard to keep him from panicking when she through herself in the water, filling his head with the gentler memories of the last time he'd pulled her out of the water. It was important, she knew, that he understand she was not in danger. Panic on her behalf would only serve to worsen things now. Better that he feel angry with her for the reckless stunt she'd pulled. It would kill her, for him to hate her, but she knew the price was well worth it.

Taking one more breath, she banished the worry. He could not know that was there. He needed to feel only trust and reassurance from her. To these, she added a hint of weariness -- the canyon training yesterday, Mori's nightmare just short hours ago. She was not in immediate danger...but she could not hope to tread water so deep by herself for long.

Sending a quick prayer to the Matriarch that she was doing the right thing -- taking such drastic steps to show Mori how she trusted him, and would never leave him -- she opened her eyes and looked at him.

When she spoke, her voice was calm as if she was asking him to go on a walk with her.

"Mori? Come here, alright? Come get me. You can do it. I trust you. I love you. And I will never leave you."

There was no accusation, no anger in her for what he'd done. He would have recognized that. Some Aavan still looked at him warily for that accident and he knew Neol'Morn's family would never be comfortable with him, would never see him and not see the death of the blue Aavan. But that distrust was not in Rora's eyes, did not flow over the violet strands that connected with his own blue-hued mind. She was not disgusted by him, nothing but love and safety, understanding lapping over him from her end of the bond. It eased some of the tension out of him, mentally and physically as he listened to the Cerebra, a sense of tentative peace starting to gather around him.

It stilled, however, hesitating and unsure when the dream-scape faded away. He felt the first pinpricks of panic when not only did the safe haven vanish, but Rora stepped back, putting a small bit of distance between them. He feared in that moment that her mind would leave too, leave him alone to deal with this, but it didn't. No, it came closer, stayed tighter against his own, woven into his own and though a tremble wracked his frame, the panic died down into nothing but a dimly flickering ember, still there, but not active. The physical contact of her lips against his skin made him remember to breathe and he let out the oxygen slowly, continuing to listen in silence and some anticipatory apprehension.

He wasn't stupid.

The black Aavan knew that Rora had started backing away for a reason and he knew she was hiding something. She couldn't have her mind so thoroughly wrapped up in his, more so than usual, and expect him not to get brief glimpses of her own uncertainty about something, her apprehension over what she was going to do and the worry of his reaction. They were very brief glimpses, like a flash in the dark and he'd have to praise her on how quick she was in reacting to her own emotions, hiding them, but right now that was the last thing on his mind.

Coiling fear was.

She spoke the right words - completely right - but while he did trust her with his entire heart, to the very depth of his being, physical and emotional reactions didn't always correspond with that trust. But it was rather how one overcame such reactions that showed trust, not the absence of these emotions and while his heart jumped into his throat when Rora leaped, he took a thoughtless step forward, feeling the small flare of fear from her. It was mixed with a brighter emotion and that gave him pause, and then once he'd paused he found he couldn't move again. The brief touch of urgency was not enough to move him. There was no danger behind it. Merely a desire to have him near and he wished that was enough, but his body stayed frozen, betraying the willingness of his heart.

He felt like he was betraying Rora herself. She trusted him so very much. Whenever she'd been scared or vulnerable, even before they'd been Heart-Bonded, she'd let him help and afterward...he had but to speak, to reassure and she believed him. And now he couldn't seem to do the same and it tore at him.

Mori WANTED to take a step forward, to believe that everything would be fine if he entered that water. He did. Rora said she could help him, that he would be fine and she sent nothing but calm, warmth, peace toward him. She was safe in the environment she'd chosen to place herself in and she was trying to reassure him that he'd be the same if only he'd just come and join her.

Trust her.

The sound of her voice, only confirming his own thoughts, caused him to shudder and take another step forward before he stopped again, Risa's face flashing before his mind's eye. His body went rigid, legs buckling on him as he sank down to his knees, shaking his head, fingers tight around his skull as fear threatened to block out everything else. Within himself he felt the lightning gathering, building....but that was all. It was that sensation, that realization - that Rora was doing exactly what she'd said she would, could do - that made him look up at Rora again. Wide violet met gorgeous green and Mori continued to shake like a leaf, black hair damp against his face, sticking there against pale skin as he slowly stood again and he looked down at the water. A flash of the blue Aavan's face, eyes dead and body scorched, made him flinch, but his gaze came back up to Rora and he took another step forward and then another until he was at the edge of the spring.

His eyes closed then and the black Aavan forced himself to breathe, ragged as those breaths were. He simply felt for a moment; Rora's presence in his mind, the warmth of the water near him, the cooler air on his upper body, the steam that created a light mist in the cavern, the trembling of his own body, the sweat that trailed down his temple, the fear that battled with desire to go to Rora inside himself and then something he'd not expected but suddenly understood; courage and trust.

Courage didn't come in the absence of fear and trust didn't come in the absence of uncertainty. I came in spite of those things. It came to fight those things, to provide a way to overcome them and such a faith was what Mori allowed to embrace him. Faith in Rora and her promise that he'd never be alone - something he knew in some senses and not in others - that he'd never have to deal with such pain on his own again, that he'd never be isolated like that again. So with courage and trust, with blind faith he stepped down into the water. Not without fear, not without uncertainty, but despite them and though the first contact from the warm liquid sent a jolt of true terror through him, the absence of lightning and the closeness of Rora's mind soothed it down almost as fast as it had come and he didn't stop until he'd gotten up to his chest, just below his shoulders and that's when Mori refused to take another step.

His teeth nearly chattered despite the warmth and when his eyes met Rora's once more, he couldn't make himself speak either physically or mentally, but there was a plea there for her to come to him now. He didn't feel like he could go further yet. Getting in the water had nearly undone him as it was, but faith in her had brought him into his fear and now faith in her kept him there, but steps would still need to be taken and he'd already taken one.

Last edited:
Reactions: DotCom
It was hard, maybe the hardest thing she'd ever done, keeping calm when Mori took his first step into the water. He must have felt it. The first trill of fear lancing through her as for just a second she doubted -- not him, but her own ability to keep him safe -- and then he was down, standing for half a second, in ankle deep water. And nothing happened. The lightning wasn't torturing him, hadn't killed her.

The fear passed just as quickly as it came, leaving in its place excitement, a growing pride, brighter than any mother watching a child take its first steps. Rora held her breath, feeling her body go rigid beneath the water as she forced herself to stay still. She could feel Mori's tentative rightness in the water, feel the fear laying just below the surface, and knew even if he was safe now, even he believed it, her sudden rush of uncontainable emotion wouldn't help him. And so she didn't shriek with delete or tuck in and swim toward him like her life depended on it. She kept a careful lid on the excitement, smothering it into something more controllable, more lax.

But she let him feel the pride, and the joy that made her face flush. She couldn't keep from beaming at him, though she stayed quiet as he moved deeper and deeper. The violet in her mind was still wrapped around, cradling, protecting the blue, still soothing, though it vibrated with barely contained excitement here and there.

She was not surprised when he stopped, and did not ask him to continue or express disappointment. it was all she could do not to break down and cry, so happy she felt. She floated there a moment longer, hair hanging in damp ringlets to her shoulders, a smile plastered across her face that threatened to overwhelm the suns.

She wanted him to swim out to her, to join her, so she could kiss him and hold him and share that pride and joy and show him there was nothing to fear. But she also knew a fear like this -- like her own fear of abandonment -- was not undone in a day. She would not ask him to leave the shelf of safety that represented the first step in the accident that had killed the Aavan of his past. Not yet. There was time, she saw now. Even with the threat of the Ashkerai looming over them, even with Mori's nightmare coiled at the back of both their minds, she saw what hope and love and their Bond could do. She saw, for the first time, that perhaps they might be as inextricably wound as Mori seemed to think.

She smiled at him and laughed and thought of pulling him back into her dreamscape to kiss him, then thought better of it. She didn't want to distract him here. And she didn't want to wait to feel his lips against hers.

She ducked beneath the water and kicked hard, reaching his side of the spring in a few short seconds. She bobbed in front of him, still beaming, and rapidly losing her tenuous hold on her own excitement.

Then she moved close -- first in her mind, then her body, not wanting to cause him any undue stress -- and kissed him, both arms around his neck, the water from her hair tracing trails down his back and chest.

She didn't move. Not even when her body began to ask, then plead for air. Not even when she began to feel giddy and lightheaded. Not even when the excitement bubbled over into tears, mixing with the water on her face and in her hair. She stood there and she kissed him and she believed there might be hope for them both.

"I love you. I love you. I love you."

• Love
Reactions: Kaisaan
-----

It was strange, having the whole Clan filtering through his mind constantly, but after a month Mori had gotten very proficient in keeping them confined to one section of his consciousness. It was as if they went through the barrier that was Rora and funneled into a room inside his mind only to funnel out again and recycle all over again. It was odd and sometimes frustration because it felt like he was never actually alone to just think, always a bit on guard, but it was keeping the Ashkerai at bay. He'd not had another nightmare in three weeks and his mind felt clearer than it had in years, showing how efficiently Rora was curing him and how long he'd been infected.

Still, he could see why Con said the black Aavan died in the end. The gold Elder had specified to him - and him alone - that such death usually resulted from Sucnu and insanity from having so many minds within their own. But again...none of them had been bonded, double-bonded if one wanted to get technical, to a Cerebra and that truly was making things different for Mori. It was uncharted territory for the Aavan, Elders included.

It was still distracting, even if the nightmares WERE gone.

A different unease was not, though, and Mori knew that stemmed from his mate. Lately she seemed to be sensing something he couldn't and their trips to the red canyons had grown more numerous even as their trips to the springs had. The terror in Mori had gone from raw fear to simple wariness and unease upon initial entry. Once he was in the water, it didn't take much for Rora to engage him and the fear to fade away, wash away with the water. He was never going to love swimming, water or being near it, but he could tolerate it now, didn't fly into a panic attack at the thought of entering it.

Tac and Rask found great opportunities to tease him about bathing now, something that pleased them immensely.

Right now that was what he and Rora were doing, the black Aavan having actually initiated this trip, something he'd not yet done, but it seemed to relax his Cerebra and that was his goal. She was so distracted as of late, half here and half somewhere else, her mind in turmoil and he couldn't figure it out because it seemed she didn't yet know what the problem was either. In an effort to sooth her, he'd brought her to the warm waters and now he pulled her back against his bare chest, arms wrapping around his mate securely as he tilted and bent his head, placing a kiss to her neck, tasting the water upon her skin.

"What troubles you, my little rainbow?" were the whispered words against her skin,a question he asked daily, awaiting the time she'd actually have an answer, patient and caring.

The light touch of his lips against her neck made her smile, almost giggle, but the expression didn't reach her eyes. Rora had come to love these moments alone with Mori. He'd come so far in such a short time, it was impossible not to be proud of him, and so sitting there, half reclined against his chest, eyes closed and breathing shallow, she sent him a brief, warm wave of gratitude. It was as much as she could muster, but it was better that than him thinking he hated her. Not that he would do that...but it was getting so hard to tell.

The sleeplessness had started three days after Mori's last nightmare -- almost three weeks ago now. She remembered because at first, she'd thought the Elder's plan had backfired. She wasn't supposed to be hearing any of the Aavan, just...slowing them down enough for Mori to have a second to breathe. He seemed better, clearer, with the first layer of the shield there. She hadn't argued when they'd finally gotten around to starting, been thrilled to see him sleep through the night without nightmares or fears. And with their regular sessions at the spring, things had seemed good. Great, even.

And then the voices had started. Little things. Whispers at first, so much quieter than things had been before Mori. But she'd forgotten the peace the Heart-Bond with Mori had earned her. The darkness had never gone...but it was lit so often by that soft blue, she'd adapted, learned to live around it. Compared to the paradise her mate had found, the whispers felt like screams. She could feel how the voices wore away at him, and so never complained, but now...

They weren't Aavan. It had taken only a few days to figure that out. Not enough love or grief or chaos or rage. She got no words, only feelings, passionate bursts at first, then more and more until she was feeling tiny stabs of pain, pinpricks in fingers a hundred thousand miles away, as a young Cerebra scraped her knee.

She didn't know why she was feeling the Cerebrae all the way out here, when she couldn't even feel all the Aavan because of Mori. It might have been her strengthened Empathy, or the Heart-Bond, or the Ashkerai. It didn't seem to matter. What did matter was the new concentration required to keep her own thoughts her own. Was that her terror when Mori stirred in his sleep, doing no more then brushing hair from his face, and yet making Rora sick with worry in the process? Was that her anger when she glimpsed an Elder in one of the many underground tunnels, causing a growl to rumble in her chest? She went from thrilled to lonely to irate to grieving so quickly, it made her head spin. She started missing conversations, skipping meals, devoting all her energy to keeping this new encroaching darkness out.

And she would not let it touch the blue. The thick cords of violet and blue had grown so strong in the last two months, there was no way she'd let the darkness corrupt them. Nor would she allow this new nightmare to endanger Mori. She was his net, his filter. And she would remain as such for him if it killed her.

But...she was growing tired. Her head ached all the time. She hadn't slept a full night in two weeks. Twice she'd woken up, drenched in a cold sweat in the middle of the night, and quietly rushed from Mori's caverns to be sick until her empty stomach hated her for it. Even now, the steam rising from the spring felt too hot...and yet she could not suppress the occasional shiver.

All of it she might have been able to tolerate, if Mori were around. And he was, most of the time. But him being out of her sight for even a few moments made her heart pound painfully in her chest.

It was why she loved the spring so much. Everything around them changed, and yet when they were here, it was just them for a moment. Mori had his voices, and she had hers. But for a few short minutes, she could pretend it was the two of them, and no one would take him from her.

Her hand found his under the surface of the water and laced their fingers together.

Without opening her eyes, she turned her head slightly to kiss his bare chest, a faint smile touching her lips.

"I love you," she murmured. And then, with no real transition: "Do you want to go to the canyons?"

She hadn't answered his question and that alarmed Mori more than anything else.

He knew something was wrong, but he wouldn't realize until later how wrong, and right now he could only speculate as to the problem. If they'd mated - something they hadn't done yet - he might have wondered if she was with child as there were times he smelled the vomit on her in the morning even if he didn't half-wake that night when she came back to bed. He often assumed that she had eaten something Aavanian that had simply not agreed with her, but as time went on, he just grew more concerned.

Her eyes had grown duller, her reactions more sluggish and she didn't often think he was aware, but even if he didn't get the brunt of her emotional ups and downs, he knew they were there and he knew she didn't want him to know they were happening. So despite the suspicion within him that said he should figure out what was going on anyway, he let it be because that was what she wished and she didn't seem to be in any acute distress.

Though, the headaches were worrying.

Really, she was behaving very much like a pregnant Aavan, but Mori would shake that thought away very quickly when it came because it was impossible and instead he tried to make his mate as happy as he could, in the meantime wishing she would tell him what was wrong, but trusting that she'd say something if it was serious, if she felt like sharing. After all, they'd come a long way since their first month together, a long way in their bond. She knew how important her well-being was to him.

Or so Mori assumed.

At times he wondered if it was her shielding him that was causing the problem, but every time he checked up on that, with or without her knowledge, he never came across anything alarming. It was as it should be; not effecting her other than making her mind pay some partial attention to keeping the 'net' up. That was all. No, the shielding was not what was causing this. Something else was going on that she would not let him see and he loved her too much to press, to break her trust that way. He didn't want to invade her thoughts, that was not how the Heart-Bond worked and he'd never harm her that way.

But he worried and even the kiss, though it sent a shiver traveling through his skin in a pleasant manner, did not distract him from his inner thoughts. They were thoughts the Cerebra could see if she wished, but that was another thing...she hadn't made any great effort to come into his head as of late. She was not closed to him, but the lethargy that effected her outwardly seemed to have taken hold inwardly, too and it kept him subdued as well and more testy with those who would pressure her with questions out of simple curiosity as well. He had no tolerance for anything that seemed to make her headaches worse or tired her out. And when she was on edge, he instantly was as well, even to the Elders, his brothers. Anyone. She was his priority and he could tell she was not happy, nor content. It rankled in the depth of him that he could not help make her so. His one desire as her mate, as her Nmaera-Amaa was to make her happy, to keep her safe and feeling loved, and to see her smiling...and he was failing.

So when she asked for something, his answer was immediately yes. If it had the chance to make her happy, he would do it.

The black Aavan kissed her temple, a deep, but soft rumble in his chest as he answered. "We can do that." He stood then, pulling her up as well and then simply lifted her into his arms, not caring if she protested. "Come on, little rainbow. Let's get you dry and dressed." Another kiss to her forehead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.