Power Struggle

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Nathan would have mentioned that it wasn't that he didn't like the other, he just enjoyed giving him a hard time, but before he could, Cole relayed his relationship status before excusing himself to make a call. Looking from the old phone to the other man, Nathan shrugged, "Do what you have to do, I might still be here when you get back. I'll just lounge around and do all the work!" See he just couldn't help himself with the teasing.

While Cole was gone, Nathan thought about actual ideas for the story followed by pulling out his new smartphone and looking through Instagram photos. The jock wondered what the texts and calls were about, given the reaction Cole was having to them it didn't seem like it was from his mother. Cole did seem pretty overworked and exhausted, maybe it was his job asking him to cover another shift or something.

When Cole arrived back to the table he'd find Nathan sitting sideways in a big chair that he had dragged over, legs dangling over one side, his neck resting on the other arm of the chair. He'd look to the green eyes opposite him, "You know I feel bad for this Rachelle chick." Nathan held his phone out briefly towards Cole, before bringing the screen back to his face, "Look at her lips, they're so fake, it looks like she did that shot glass thing and now they just permanently look like shit. Well they say you'll never love someone if you can't love yourself, wonder if she's happy." he trailed off when Nathan started talking about the sushi. It was followed by a scolding.

Nathan was quiet for a few moments. He gave a few nods, looking like a puppy that was just kicked. "Yeah alright fine, I probably deserve that..." he exhaled slowly, sitting up in the plush chair, which by the way, where the hell did he even get that? "One, no you don't need to primp, you look fine just the way you are and two, I'll take a pass on sucking you off, thanks though. I'll stop with the gay commentary though, sorry." Nathan swallowed a small lump in his throat as he spoke on that topic, reaching over to his backpack and grabbing his black glasses, sliding them on his face and taking the notebook back.

"So who got you so annoyed on the phone because I'm starting to worry your mood knob is stuck on the grumpy setting." Nathan asked as he started writing.

The brothers found themselves lost but luck was on their side as a traveling merchant came upon them where one path split into four. The greedy old man was happy to point them in the correct direction, for a modest fee. It was an easy decision for the younger brother; to give up something to fulfill their mother's request was easily done. The young man offered the merchant an old coin he found by the river, and the man happily took it in exchange for directions. This act of selflessness had not gone unnoticed, as birds chirped in delight and the sun broke through the clouds, basking the pair in warm light.

Nathan laughed softly as he pushed the notebook back to Cole, "Okay so maybe the last part is a little cheesy but I like it so whatever. Speaking of being the nice younger guy, we should get sushi sometime. Hitting up the buffet and getting a couple drinks might be what, a hundred bucks? That's nothing dude, I'll cover it. Just shut up and say yes."

Last edited:
Cole was surprised by Nathan's response. He'd expected more of a counter-attack. He did get... sort of one, what with the primping and BJ comment, but otherwise Nathan seemed pretty remorseful. Cole was beginning to feel like he'd judged this kid wrong all along. He wondered what the deal was, yet was a bit too tired to care at the current moment.
And about the primping comment... Was that... Was that a neg? He didn't have enough braincells currently to make sense of it. But it at least looked like Nathan cared. Poor kid almost looked like a kicked puppy. Cole sighed again. "Yeah, it probably is," he grumbled, taking the notebook and reading it over again, poignantly ignoring the question about who was on the phone.

Cole didn't like the passage, but he didn't not like it, either. Should the story really be full of twists and turns or could it be just a straight A to B situation? Cole leaned his weight on his elbow, his hand holding hischeek while his right and free hand brushed through his hair and pulled out the rubberband holding it back.

"It's fine," Cole sighed yet again, speaking of the passage Nathan had written and not fully registering his other comment. The man stretched the rubber band around his wrist and sat up, the other comment finally hitting him.
Did he just ask me out on a date...? What the hell is this... WAIT
ONE HUNDRED BUCKS IS NOTHING??!

He was simultaneously horrified and amazed. He gulped and, his back straight, he ran his hand through his hair again, making sure none of it was in his face.
"Uhh.." he stammered, looking down at his phone, which wasn't going to save him from the situation.
"Well are you free tomorrow? I mean, I have something at 11 but we could go.. after that, to, um.." He was really out of it, now.

Suddenly he was nervous, the tough man exterior had finally been stabbed through. "I don't have a car so uh... Can you... 11:30? Tomorrow? Can you pick me up at the police station?" he finally got his wits together a bit at the end there, looking up at Nathan's face, finally.
Shit, even if Nathan was kind of an asshole, free sushi... And if it's $100 for the bill then.. then it was good sushi.

Of course Nathan would never say it was a date, if anything he was just grabbing a bite to eat with a classmate. He'd watch Cole remove the rubber band from his hair, releasing the black locks from their prison. While the jock liked having short hair himself, he thought the longer hair looked good on the other male.

As Cole stammered, Nathan watched in silence at the sight, trying to figure out what exactly was causing it. Fortunately, the other was able to piece together a somewhat decent sentence. When Cole's green eyes found Nathan, they'd have been greeted with the young man displaying a raised eyebrow. "Smooth. Explains why you're single. Anyway yeah, 11:30 works but uh... police station? Really?" Nathan chuckled.

Why did he need to be picked up there of all places? "Okay that's sketchy as fuck, but as long as you aren't a Craigslist rapist or something I'm just not going to ask. Text me the address and I'll pick you up then because right now," the jock lifted his left arm to look at his wrist, which didn't have a watch wrapped around it, "I'd like to go home and sleep. I got this new bed and it's like sleeping on a fucking cloud dude. Keep writing though, you're doing good." He gave a few nods of reassurance, pointing to the notebook before he grabbed his bag from the seat next to him. "See you tomorrow."

-----------------

The next morning, Nathan would finish his morning class which ended a little before 11. He ran into a few guys on the team and they talked, which caused him to lose track of time. Pulling out his phone, he shot Cole a quick text, [Running late omw though]

It was probably 11:45 when a silver Audi sedan pulled up outside the police station, Nathan giving the horn a few honks. Once Cole got inside, the jock sped off before the other could even get his seat belt on. "Sorry I'm late, so get this. I was texting my mom and this whale of a woman pulls up next to me in her minivan at a stoplight and had the audacity to tell me I should put my phone down and pay attention. It's like one, I'm stopped at a light and two, she was eating!" he exclaimed as they continued to drive, "Like she went to Mc. Donald's or something because she had a drink in her right hand and a double cheeseburger in her left hand. I told her that with her preoccupied with jamming five thousand calories down her throat, that she was more at risk for causing an accident. That woman was totally out of line."

Nathan shook his head after he finished his story, "So why were you at the police station, I actually am curious. Wait are you an undercover cop or something, because there's nothing illegal in this car just so you know."

It was like for any good thing that happened, two more insults had to follow it up. Cole was excited for the date and the free food, but also unenthused by the follow-up comments. He sighed yet again and gave a haphazard wave to Nathan as he left.

Once the other was gone, Cole looked back down at the notebook. He didn't have to work breakfast, and he wasn't going to church now, so he could sleep in somewhat late. Better stay up a little longer and work on the writing assignment, then.

He pulled the notebook back to himself and read it over again.

Once upon a time, the mother of two brothers died, and her final wish was for them to deliver a package to their father who was also dying.
The oldest brother wanted to do it right away, but the younger brother wanted to take his time. The mother wanted them to do it together, so the brothers would argue over how to deliver the package.

The younger bother liked to party, because that's what people his age do. Those around him knew that he was cool. The older brother was quick to brush the other off, not giving himself the time to appreciate what the younger had to offer.

The brothers found themselves lost but luck was on their side as a traveling merchant came upon them where one path split into four. The greedy old man was happy to point them in the correct direction, for a modest fee. It was an easy decision for the younger brother; to give up something to fulfill their mother's request was easily done. The young man offered the merchant an old coin he found by the river, and the man happily took it in exchange for directions. This act of selflessness had not gone unnoticed, as birds chirped in delight and the sun broke through the clouds, basking the pair in warm light.

"Except it wasn't an act of selflessness," Cole thought to himself. "It was an exchange." He decided to put his thoughts to paper as he massaged his forehead with his right hand.

Except this wasn't an act of selflessness. It was an exchange of a coin for directions. A coin they could have used futher in their journey. When the brothers got to their father's town, they found his house all boarded up. The Father was gone and the brothers didn't know who to turn to for information. The older brother chided the younger brother that this wouldn't have happened if they had left immediately.

What to do next? He had no idea, and sighed once more before deciding "fuck it" and packing up to leave. He put all his things together and left the library, making the long walk back, dodging the homeless that had picked the sidewalks to sleep in that night.
Eventually he made it back to his apartment and fell asleep easily, waking up and dressing business casual the next morning, making sure to text the address of the police station to Nathan before he left to go to the bus stop.

He spent an hour on the city bus to make it to the police office, and then went through the urinalysis easily enough. His PO also took the time to question him about how life was going in general and if he wanted a ride back or anything. Cole made smalltalk but said he was waiting for someone and went outside to wait on a curb. His phone vibrated, and in the time it took Cole to parse that "omw" meant "on my way," Nathan had driven into the parking lot.

It was a nice car, but not really something Cole expected... For some reason Cole pictured a convertible or a much more flashy sports car. Either way, he got up and let himself into the Audi, dropping his backpack at his feet once inside the car. Immediately, Nathan started complaining about something that really didn't seem like a big deal while Cole tried to put his seat belt over his blue collared dress shirt and tan khakis. Cole missed out on most of the conversation as he concentrated on that while trying not to think about Nathan's driving. He made a mental note later to not be driven by this guy again if he valued his life.

The man gripped the handle by the door as best he could while Nathan drove, trying to not look too panicked but not really succeeding in "playing it cool" so to speak.
"I, uh..." He decided to fire back, instead. "Well that sounds a lot like there's something illegal in the car," Cole chided, looking toward the back to see if he could spot anything. Shit, he wished Nathan had not made such a joke. Now he was going to be worried about that the entire trip.

As the pair navigated the downtown streets, Nathan couldn't help but laugh at Cole, "Wow Mr. Tough guy, nervous over a little speed? Come on dude loosen up." He wasn't worried if he got pulled over, so far dropping his dad's name got him out of any potential citations. "But really, just relax your shoulders, breathe in and out. There's nothing illegal in here. Why would I keep my weed in the car? Do people do that? Yeah I suppose they do, but I don't." he shrugged, tossing his hands up momentarily.

"I'd ask why you dressed up to go to the police station but you'll just dodge that question too. You should really work for my dad, those journalists wouldn't get a fucking thing out of you." Nathan laughed again, "Anyway what kind of music do you like? My phone is linked up to the car so find something on Spotify," the jock held his phone over to Cole, "Oh and these types of phones you can touch the screen and it does stuff. I'm equally excited to introduce you to electricity and running water." he ended sarcastically as he teased the other.

As the silver car continued to their destination, a stoplight had turned yellow and Nathan smirked to himself as he gave the accelerator some love, the Audi effortlessly zipped through the intersection as it turned red, "You okay? Did you squeeze the shit out of that door handle? Sorry it's just too fun with you, take it as a compliment." It'd probably be another ten minutes before the pair arrived.

Cole noticeably relaxed when Nathan explained there wasn't anything illegal in the car. And while the man wasn't exactly surprised by Nathan's marijuana use, he was still a little disappointed. Then, Nathan brought up why he'd gotten dressed up, but after Cole opened his mouth to answer, he was cut off by yet another jab. He closed his mouth and eyes with a heavy sigh. Cole had thought he'd open up to Nathan, but the sass was never-ending and didn't give him a moment to cut a word in, edge-wise.
For a brief moment, though, he thought he might push for that job later, even though it was probably just a joke, there was no harm in asking (later, of course), right?
Regardless, as disgruntled as Cole was, he was still partly relieved that it was something other than gay jokes this time.

Nathan handed him a smartphone and told him to pick something on Spotify. Cole had no idea what spotify was, and although he'd never actually used a smartphone before, he understood what they were. He knew Nathan was just fucking with him again about electricity and running water, but Cole couldn't help but be a little offended.
He should've had thicker skin.. Realistically, he did have thick skin. It was just... Cole kept expecting better from Nathan. But, he didn't know what, and so was only becoming more and more disappointed.

He put the phone back on the mount on the dashboard without picking anything- he didn't want to admit he had no clue how to pick a song, and Cole didn't really have any music preferences anyway. He tried to look forward to free food, and concentrate on that rather than thinking his first impression of Nathan being a huge asshole was right.
But Nathan was like, what? 18? Maybe he was just cocky because he felt like he needed to be.
Stop making excuses for the kid, he told himself.

"Keep driving and you might have to buy a new seat cushion," he said. "This old codger might pee his pants if you keep this up."

Just... Force the joke out, yeah. He could be funny.
It was a little difficult to be funny when he wasn't exactly comfortable in this situation at all, but Cole wasn't an entirely unenjoyable person to be around all the time.

Maybe if he just forced it, he'd eventually lighten up.

Think of the delicious sushi, he told himself.

[[Sorry for taking so long... And if this isn't that good D; ]]