POTW: Nightmare Fuel

What horror genre is the scariest for you?

• Total voters
I like surreal, mind-bending things. I like the sensation of brushing against a world with its own rules and beings that are not our rules or beings. To quote a character from The Colour out of Space: "...It come from some place whar things ain't as they is here..." I like the otherwordly and the bizarre, the things that make you stop and wonder

Although having the rules is important, as I like that sensation that what's going on is understandable or could be understandable, if you were crazy enough to try or to risk it. That allure of forbidden knowledge.

Once you have that... the monsters really don't matter so much, except for the "mundane" kind. I mean sure, I Can be scared of serial killers and things for a little bit, but ultimately well... Penumbra: Overture was a scary game, but the monsters were just large animals, and ultimately while there was some mind-bending stuff, there wasn't much, and so none of the monster-related scares or scenes really stuck with me. Although as a counter, I still remember when the sequel threw you into a strange, disturbing dream sequence and I still have a few heebie-jeebies from it.

Serial Killers. The ones that know exactly what they're doing too. And not one of those "rape my victims just because I am a sexual monster and their pain drive me bonkers in the pants." The serial killers that don't do what they're doing to prove a point. The ones that do what they do because they can.

Their dubbed serial killers because they've got 3+ bodies under their belt. They've gotten away with one.

Found that fun. Exciting.

So, they do it again, changing their game up and being more careful, adding a little more personality to the deaths. Making their 'signature' so that they can get off by watching the news and hearing them give him a name they've created themselves. Watching the media squabble over being careful and keeping a look out for a so and so person while, meanwhile, they walk among them, secreting picking his next victim.

A project.

They do it a third time. This time the deaths is more gruesome, because why not? They haven't caught them the first two times. Why not get creative? Adrenaline settles in. They continue to kill, each death more grotesque than the first, writing their signature from print to a perfect cursive, if you will.

A person/being with that mind scares the living fuck out of me.

I've been watching horror movies for as long as I can remember. My mother didn't mind me watching them, though she'd fast-forward pass the X-rated scenes, 'cause blood and gore is fine for a four year old ... love makin', not so much.

That said, I'm done with the played-out, "Look at me, I'm 7ft tall and I kill things for no reason" genre. I'm lookin' at you Jason, Michael Myers, Leatherface, that one dude who Kane from the WWE played as in that one movie, and countless others I can't be bothered to remember. Don't get me started on the Southern cannibal inbreed movies either.

Nothing scares me by this point -- I'm too messed up to be scared by horror movies -- but I enjoy the supernatural (ghosts and demons) movies the most. They're just more interesting to me, and there's usually more thought and imagination put into them...

... Paranormal Activity aside.

Ah, let's see. Salad Fingers is pretty disturbing to me, and thus spoons will never appear the same to me ever again. Nor will I be able to touch rust without shivering in evident disgust.

Moving right along, I will say Slenderman is so overrated now I just laugh in his non-face, but I would probably end up shitting myself if I saw his silhouette by my bed side. But that's more of a jumpscare than a "dnejwskaq ;A; OMGOMGOMGOMG I'M GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIE. MOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMY!!!!1!!"

But what does freak me out nowadays are menstruating females. My sister, and no I am not lying, forms these dark bags under her eyes and begins to look like a legitimate serial killer. ==; I have to hide when she comes out to scavenge for food.

Luckily for me, I have a futon on the floor that prevents killers from lurking under it, but my shower is still a prospect for rapists. Rapists probably freak me out, but are not yet the winner in what terrifies me, since, y'know, you're able to be the ever living shiet outta them.

If you've ever been sleeping at night, and heard random moaning sounds -and no, not the sexual kind-; that crap just freaks me out. Like the Grudge Girl, or Sadako, those things just cause me to get goosebumps. I can handle Micheal Meyers and Freddie, but ghosts are a NONONONONONO topic for me. And it's because you can't fight back. You just sit sobbing in the corner in a fetal position, thinking about how the Ghostbusters aren't coming to save you. It's not a pleasant experience.

Politicians though, would have to be the cake topper. It was a fight for me between rapist priests and politicians. And I don't think I even have to explain here. u_u

The fact that "werewolves" and "vampires" are least feared on this list. I WONDER IF THERE'S A CORRELATION.

K so i know they arent really horror....but the velociraptors in Jurassic Park scare the hell outta me

I honestly would be less scared of vampire and werewolves than zombies and I fucking want a zombie apocalypse.

Vampire's don't scare me anymore due to them being my roll models. xD but ghosts still creep me the fuck out!

Ghost and demons are probably the scariest if they make it with good effects but not overdoing it. Mysterious mind fucks is also creepy, but if it goes really overboard then you just sit there and think '... wtf?' and it becomes no scary at all x3

So I love ghost, demons and mysterious mind fucks, those three are probably the scariest, but it can't be to much not too little because then it just becomes weird and the movie becomes boring x3

Zombies - headshot

Vampires - steak to heart, sunlight, garlic, crucifix

Werewolves - silver anything

Ghosts - banishment or the destruction of their fetters

Serial Killers - Headshot

Demons - Banishment

Monsters - Giant Robots, the Army

Aliens - Airborne Bacteria

Asmo - Tegan

Your own perception of reality - once that goes, your fucked

Oh yes. We Pyramidheads get some love.
But I kinda afraid of a certain thing called: "I will kill you and do it with your corpse... yeah..."

Oh yes. We Pyramidheads get some love.
But I kinda afraid of a certain thing called: "I will kill you and do it with your corpse... yeah..."

I cosplayed pyramid head at otakon over the summer. There was a "nurse" there too, if you know what I mean.

AH! I cant deal with supernatural horror movies but i watch them all the fucking time. I've had family members who have actually been possessed and watched it happen before my eyes which is why i cant stand them....but i find them so thrilling! Hahaha. DX Not funny when its in front of you though. I almost got spit on! With yucky black stuff! DX

I was one of the nurses from the movie. My friend actually cosplayed pyramid head and everyone thought we were fuck buddys. XD Its funny how that went on! They said that he was the pimp of all the nurses anyway xDDDDDDDDD

One with clothes besides a manskirt, very very creative my friend.