POTW: How many languages do you know?

How many languages can you fluently read, write, and/or speak in?

• 4 or more

• 1/2; I know a language or two juuust well enough

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only fluent in English. I could probably get by in tourist cities in Spanish speaking areas with a mix of rudimentary Spanish knowledge and pantomime, but that isn't fluency.

Reactions: Fluffy
My first language is English. I can read and write in Spanish at an elementary level, but I can barely speak it. Oh! I can also read music! I definitely count that as a third language. Hell, I can read and play music way better than my abilities in Spanish.

You People need to learn more languages! LOL xD

I feel so weird now That In fact I know three languages, except my mother-tongue that is :) also, I am going to start learning Persian this year as well. Now, that it is interesting and going down on my list as number Four :D

You people need to keep up ha ha ^.^

I'm fluent in Dutch, English and Chinese Mandarin. Taking a course next year to polish up my French, so hopefully that will be added to the list soon as well~

I speak a few words German, but only enough to order myself food and ask for directions in an awkward manner. Same goes for my current level in French.

Fluent English but I just to be super good in Mandarin Chinese. But after my lessons stopped I quickly forgot most of it. But, I'd say I'm decent with a lil practice.

Learning Russian over the summer aswell! c:

I am fluent in both English and Spanish. Though I will only speak Spanish to close friends and family due to personal, close minded beliefs.

I speak English (first language) and have a rudimentary understanding of Ancient Greek, although only in writing. I don't know enough words to write comprehensible sentences, but I'm fairly familiar with the grammar; vocabulary is really the main thing I lack in.

I started studying it a few years ago, but stopped for various reasons. I might pick it up again later for fun.

As far as another language I'd like to learn someday, French. I love the sound and flow of it.

I'm fluent in English and French, although my grammar is hella rusty for French, so I'm only confident in my ability to understand it rather than make myself understood.

I've got three years of high school Spanish under my belt and can just about remember what the word for pencil is... >.> Got two semesters of Latin, and I know how to talk about some animals though I've forgotten how to conjugate beyond it's a thing, that happens. Two weeks of German, I can tell someone my name? And I can count up to ten in Japanese, though I only remember how to write the number 4(I think).

I learn languages relatively quickly, at least, germanic(if it's not too difficult) and romantic, since they're similar to French. But after I'm done learning, I never practise so I forget them just as easily.

Just English.

All the way from Grade 1 to 8 (Minus Grade 6, because that year was home school) my school tried teaching me French.
The end result was my IEP allowing me multiple things to help out including:
  • Going to another room to complete the test in with a handful of other students, and be allowed to help one another with the test.
  • Also go with an EA who would also help us with the test.
  • Have the entire answers on the quiz filled out in advance by the teacher except for one word, which is what we all had to figure out together.
Still only ended up getting through the class with a 50.
High School saw this and went "Yea... French is normally a mandatory credit in Grade 9, but we're not going to do that with you, just go take Learning Resources instead".
And thus I've continued with only knowing or understanding the English language.

English speaker here. Though I've taken Spanish and Japanese classes, I'm not able to converse in either.
For non-spoken languages, I can handle many of the Algol-derived programming languages (C, C++, C#, Java, JavaScript, PHP, Perl, Lua) and am working on the Lisps (CL, Clojure, Scheme). Object-C has intrigued me for a while, but I haven't actually pursued it.

Fluent in English and Spanish.
I can understand some Portuguese if its spoken slowly. I was learning French for a while but stopped and now I forgot a lot of it.

As enthusiastic as I am about learning other languages, I only know English well enough to count it (which is my native tongue) other than that, a few words and phrases in a few languages is about what I have lol not even enough to be confident trying to make it in a non-English speaking country (so I would be carrying around some kind of translator in other words, or scrambling around trying to find someone who speaks English haha)

Pretty much just English. I'm terrible at learning languages for some reason. I can recognize keywords and phrases in Japanese from movies and things, but its hardly worth mentioning.

English and (supposedly) French. Canadian French, though.

I tried learning Icelandic and failed. Languages aren't my thing.

Fluent in 2 languages: Russian (my mother tongue) and English. I went to a language school, so from grade 2 we started learning Romanian and English. In 6th grade we added on French, which I then took again in grades 9 and 10. In grade 8 I also took Spanish, but that didn't last. Aside from all that, I have been studying Japanese independently up until last year. But despite all of that language-learning, I still only know two. Oops.

Japanese, french, Spanish, some Italian, Korean, German, english (of course), and some old fashioned Latin.

I know how to speak some French, Japanese, German (don't know how to pronounce, but I can understand).

I took Spanish in high school, so English is my mother tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.