Perspective Shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Addie could hear disappointment in Rita's voice, though he was left a little confused as to why, really. He wanted to reply something but couldn't find the right words for it. He let her leave for the changing rooms again, and sat again as he waited for her. Jessy was sound asleep still, and he shifted her a little to be more comfortable. A fond expression washed over his face as he looked at her peaceful little face. In a low murmur he commented, "You're lucky you don't have to deal with grown-up stuff." and he tickled her nose softly, making her rubbing it with her little hand. He couldn't help but smile lovingly at the little dear as she licked her little lips.

"Am I buying this, then?"

Something in Rita's voice unsettled him a bit, and made him wonder just how deep he had stuck his foot in this hole. He stood up gently, to not disturb Jessy, and the expression was almost like a dog in the doghouse. "Oh, well it's really up to you... Though you really do look lovely in it." he said, trying to let her know that he was honest about that opinion. Then as an afterthought added, "If I may so so." respectfully. "You know, as a friend." he said with a hopeful hint in his voice.

He wasn't sure if he said that correctly, but at least she might not feel obligated or ... awkward or anything more about what he'd said before about the date thing.

-----

To say that Joe was enjoying herself was the understatement of the century. She almost didn't notice Matt's presence she was so engrossed in her work. The part that cared for him was getting worried, though, and it decided to raise its own concern. Almost mechanically, she stopped.

Then she looked at Matt, and it was like the madness in her eyes switched to looking somewhat normal, though there was still a gleam of it present. Once again she bent down to face Matt and sat haunched as she looked at him. Her mind was in such a rush, and she had to concentrate on organising her thoughts. Amazingly, compassion showed on her face as she spoke, "Matt... you know I'm not going to stop until he's dead." the emotions inside her flared again, and it was like trying to steer a row boat in a stormy sea, "Please, I don't want you to torment yourself. I know you're here for me, and I won't think otherwise." Her eyes changed again for a second, revealing the utter chaos and madness inside her, before simmering down. "I'll be fine, Marshall's in no state to even move." she assured him, and the satisfaction of that fact sounded in her voice.

She swallowed at a build-up of energetic urgency to continue and torture Marshall, "I care about you. Please... go upstairs, don't make yourself regret staying here, okay?" It wasn't exactly a... well, threat, but the wolf inside Joe was beginning to feel like she needed to assert her authority about this.

-----

The wink from Mel got a raised eyebrow from Rami, and as she left he glanced at Faolan. The old wolf gave him a smirk in return. Something was up.
Still, they couldn't exactly leave... so, to pass the time Rami produced some cards from his pocket and the two old friends engaged in a round of poker. Of course, it didn't mean that they were distracted by this, and it gave them some time to exchange thoughts on the situation between them.

Addie's expressions were starting to get on Rita's nerves, and she let it show in spite of herself. You couldn't just undo things once you'd done them, she'd learned that the hard way. Sure, people made mistakes sometimes, and often hers were big ones - but you just had to live with them, one way or another. Besides, up until now he just hadn't been that kind of guy, and the idea that he might actually be nervous made her laugh.

Sure, as a friend... or rather as someone I've only just met who wants me to believe he can't muster the courage to be straight with me? Still, she needed a dress, and she could buy the red one just to spite him but she had to admit it wasn't really her style. Something about her expression as she went to pay warned the cashier not to bother with small talk... funny how people responded to her sometimes, almost as though they knew what she was hard-wired to do to them. And to things like Addie, come to that.

"Right." There was no hostility in her tone as she turned her attention back to Addie, and she made the effort to focus on Jessy and calm herself down. No matter what people did, you couldn't let your emotions get the better of you, not if you wanted to stay the right side of 'murderess'. She was normally very good at this game. Something about this guy was just getting right under her skin...

"Shall we head home?" The question sounded friendly and she smiled, not taking her eyes off the sleeping Jessy. Maybe she could talk to Mel before the adoption went through, get Addie wiped right out of the paperwork... wait... what? There was no way she could handle a baby on her own. But to handle a baby and Addie at the same time... that might just turn out to be worse.

-----

Until he's dead... the words rolled around in Matt's head and he gave another little whine of protest. They were going to have to do it, that much was obvious, but he couldn't stand by while she did this first. It was wrong, and he was frightened by how much she was enjoying herself. He couldn't watch whilst she did something he was sure she'd regret, it just wasn't right to let this continue. He whined again and, ignoring the protest in his stomach, forced himself back to human. The sight of Marshall on the table almost made him sick, but he stood up anyway.

"Let me do it," he said quietly. It was all he could think of that might make her stop this, and although he'd have preferred to end it already, he had to try to help her. Even if it meant getting into this himself. "Go upstairs and let me do this for you." It was an effort just to keep his voice steady, but he reached out anyway and took one of the remaining nails out of her bowl. It burned his hand, but he turned it in his fingers anyway, rolling it around until the point aimed downward.

"Please. I won't let you do this. Either I do it, or he dies now." To illustrate his point, he pressed the tip of the nail into Marshall's throat. It would be the right thing to do... she might hate him for it, but it was still better than letting her keep this up.

This shopping trip is just getting better and better, isn't it? Addie thought to himself with some remorse.
From the frightful look he glimpsed on the cashier, he could see how bad this was going.

Dammit. He hadn't meant for this.

He didn't want to let things carry on on this note either... As he followed her out the store he politely cleared his throat.. then thought it better if maybe it could wait until they got their stuff back from the baby store. right. Awkward silence - barring a few harmless smiles her way - ahoy! ... ...

Okay, we're nearly at the mall's exit... he had a quick glance her way by way of trying to figure out her state of mind. Almost there... better act now... Say it. Say it!
"Rita.." he started, perhaps with an odd croak in his voice. His mouth seemed to have dried up. Weird.. He cleared his throat again and looked her in the eyes. "Um. I want to apologise for my odd behaviour. I didn't mean to... but." he took a quick calming breath. Wow, why was this so hard? "I want you to know something." his eyes searched her for a moment, "I like you." it was like slipping off the edge of the cliff but somehow he still managed, "- and it's not just because of the dress, how nice you look in it... today. I mean, today has been really enjoyable and I like spending time with you... uh." his mind was nudging him, worried that he was maybe talking too much. "And the beautiful way you're with Jessy..." his eyes lit up with that, "You are such an amazing person. Even if -as - I mean though, we only recently met... "

Somehow having gotten that out made him feel better. A lot better. surprisingly better! This explained so much, actually. Wait, has he freaked Rita out because of this? Oh goodness please no... It was too soon, wasn't it?...

-----

A warning light went on in Joe's head. She studied Matt's reaction and movements closely, though still kept her calmed surface.
Her head tilted slightly as he offered, no, asked to do the torturing. Was he kidding? Him? ... do this? ... her mind could not comprehend this in the least. Then she saw why... He wanted to kill Marshall - to release him... to let.. him... escape.
There was no way in hell that she was going to allow that. Not even for Matt.

Her head tilted downward, but in a non-threatening way. "Don't" she said gently, and reached out to take the nail out of his burning fingers and set it back into the bowl. She held his hand in hers and assessed the damage with concern in her eyes. He rally was dead... dead set on dying... doing this, wasn't he? Her state of mind was ready to tip any which way, and it was a miracle how she kept herself from doing something to Matt that they might both regret. Even better was how she looked calm too.

She then held his hand on her chest, and embraced him with her other arm. A quick sigh escaped her lips, You're too good for me, Matt... I'm... really... sorry. She was sorry for two reasons: for allowing him to have seen this side of her, and for using this apologetic gesture to inject him with a fast-acting sleeping drug.

Joe knew he'd be mad at her once he woke up... but it was better than the alternatives. She did't want to be responsible for his death as well because of her current state. "I... need... to do thisss." she hissed a whisper in a wavering eerie voice as she held him. She didn't want to let him fall and hurt himself, and she didn't want to let him be able to attempt a last-minute attempt at killing Marshall either.

The little sound of Addie clearing his throat as they left the first shop caught Rita's attention, and she hesitated, but didn't look back. She was far too confused to look back. Instead she tightened her grip on the carrier bag with the dress in it, balling her hand into a fist. After a couple of seconds, when it was clear that he wasn't going to say anything, she kept walking, still without looking back.

She managed to keep on ignoring him right through the baby store, although the girl behind the counter gave them a strange look as she retrieved everything they'd bought. Rita couldn't exactly blame her; they must make an odd pair.

They were almost out of the mall… she risked a sideways glance at Addie, only to find him looking at her. Her eyes snapped away quickly, and she grimaced. Being stupid. He was probably wondering what in hell her problem was, and the fact that she herself had no idea wasn't exactly helping. If they could just get home without dying of awkwardness, maybe she'd have enough time to think things through…

Nope, he was going to talk it out now. She stopped impatiently a few feet from the doors, managing not to stamp her foot as she did so, and turned back to face him. Her face was easy enough to read now, and it was one big exasperated frown. As he looked at her, though, the frown faded and turned into something more like curiosity. He was actually nervous. She could smell it on him; nobody could fake it that well.

The only further change in her face as he spoke was her eyebrows, which rose slowly further and further up her forehead as he continued. "Riiight," she managed as he finished. She stamped out the little voice insisting that this was all a very bad joke. Still… what was she supposed to say, exactly? There hadn't been time to think about this properly. Sure, he was an attractive man – make that werewolf – and kind, and charming and very much the gentleman, but…

"Addie…" She swallowed hard, again looked down at her feet, and then met his eyes. "I don't…" This was all too sudden, too confusing, and she hadn't got a clue what to say. "Can we please just go home?"

Great. Just great. The perfect way to respond to a man's advances – 'can we please just go home'. She cringed, squeezing her eyes closed, and turned away. The sooner they were out of here and she could think, the better.

-----

Joe's first movement made Matt flinch, and he almost pressed down with the nail… but she wasn't going to hit him, or to yell. He sighed and let the nail go, let her put it back where it had come from. She was calm, gentle… she was going to listen to him, and it would all be okay.

He let her inspect his fingers, although he didn't want her to be too concerned about what he'd done to himself. It would heal up soon enough, and it had been worth it. He smiled quietly at her and allowed her to pull him into an embrace, although he shook his head as soon as she started to speak. "You stopped. That's –" Then he felt the needle sting in his arm and pushed back, already weakened. There was no point trying to fight whatever she'd given him. "No," he said urgently, reaching for her face with his uninjured hand. "Please, Joe, don't do this…" His vision was already slipping. "For me… no more… please…"

Mel was on the doorstep when the alarm system bleeped quietly. It had already gone off once, when Joe had knocked out Marshall, and again when he'd regained consciousness. Knowing who was awake in this place was important to her, and although it only worked on the warm-blooded, the system was a useful alert. Had Marshall passed out already? Joe wasn't likely to allow that. It was more likely that Matt had fainted, or that…

She ducked back into the hall and jabbed a finger at Rami, almost accusingly. "You," she snapped. "Get down there and watch her, or get off my property." It was hard for her to hide a little smirk of satisfaction. Putting Rami on babysitting duty felt good.

Last edited by a moderator:
What had he expected really...
"Of course." he said politely, and followed Rita to the car. He helped her load the goods into the car, strap Jessy into her little seat and still the gentleman that he was, opened and held the door for Rita. Before he pulled out of the parking lot he looked back to see if Jessy was still okay. His face melted at the sight of her little sleeping face, "Awwww... " with a glance to Rita and back to Jessy again he couldn't help but say: "I just can't get over how cute she is..." and it brought a genuine smile across his face.

"So... which way, miss?" he asked Rita, having forgotten for a moment about the awkwardness between them.
As they drove he was a little more cheery, and kept a eye on the little pup through the car's rear view mirror. Some of the stuff had to be packed on the back seat and he wanted to make sure that it wouldn't disturb or hurt Jessy, should it tilt over. That was the least of his troubles though...

As with any baby, the inevitable happened. Addie was notified by this thanks to his excellent werewolf nose. His eyes slowly widened a little, followed by his hand rushing up to slam over his nose. He had to open a window... oh merciful heavens! Holding his breath he switched hands to do so quickly and tilted his head out for a fresh breath. "Cute but deadly... cute but very deadly..." he said with his eyes watering. He'd read that babies' poop stank, but not this bad! Addie decided to use the top of his shirt as a filter and held it there wit his hand... but it didn't help much. His eyes darted again to the rear view mirror, and then to Rita. Had she smelt the toxic fumes?

The gush of wind had woken the little pup, and having watched some of his reaction and the funny actions she let out a delighted gurgle of a laugh. Addie gave her a fake glare, and his eyes were clearly smiling.

-----

Joe watched as Matt slipped into unconsciousness and then gently carried him to the door. She reached it just as Rami arrived. One look told him everything and he stepped aside to let her take Matt upstairs, where she set him next to Faolan. The old wolf didn't say anything, but was relieved to see that Matt wasn't dead. He didn't look bruised either - had he fainted?
Either way, he would watch over the lad. It was probably better for him that he didn't witness what Joe was doing...

Rami was there for the full show. He had prepped himself against the wall next to the door and let Joe continue on unhindered. The vampire knew better than to get in her way, especialy with the state her mind was in.

Now that Matt was out of harm's way, Joe happily continued with Marshall's punishment. The next part would involve the skin of his face being cut and peeled off like an orange. By the time she was done there was no skin left on his face, no lids on his eyes, no nose or ears. He couldn't clench his jaw against any pain for fear of driving the nails in his gums deeper, and that made everything all the more worse somehow.
Joe hadn't said anything during the torture so far – and the silent look on her face spoke of nothing either. Her eyes were alive though, shining with mad ecstasy. She watched the bulk of a werewolf that was shackled to the torture table; she saw the utter pain and fear in his eyes. Not knowing what she was going to do to him next was terrifying to him.

Then her expression changed with the outside corner of her left eye narrowing. It was a minor change, but Marshall saw it – he had no choice without eyelids, and his body squirmed in response. He tried begging again for her to stop this, but she clearly wasn't listening. His body tensed as she started ripping his shirt off, and he flinched as Joe's nails ripped through his skin. He'd experienced worse before in fights with other werewolves, but knowing what Joe could do just with those sharp implements had him on edge. His breathing intensified as he realised what she was going to do next…

Not clenching his jaw was hard to do, so instead he let out stifled screams as she started the painful process of cutting his skin in segments. Again the tears appeared in his eyes as she began tearing the skin segments off, revealing the muscle and soft tissue below. Some pieces were deeper than others, and only added to the uncertainty of the pain level. His screams could no longer be stifled, and they echoed through the room.

The worst part of this process was his quick healing. After each slither or piece of skin was removed, Joe would place it back, and let his body re-attach it… then she'd remove it again, sometimes slowly and sometimes with a quick rip. As it was newly healed, the nerves were extremely sensitive – the second time the skin got removed was even more agonising than the first. Sometimes she'd do it a third time as well.

Then she stopped with the skinning, and Marshall breathed with shallow relief. It was of course short-lived as he felt a sharp stab to the side of his ribs. When he screamed that pain intensified, and it was joined by another stab next to it. From the corner of his eye he saw the cause of it… Rusty blades were being wedged between his ribs, cutting deeper into the bone every time he dared to breathe. Screaming brought no relief, but only did the opposite. Even worse was the sudden surprise of her removing a piece of freshly attached skin every now and then.

This cycle was repeated as she wedged in more blades between his ribs. His chest was beginning to resemble a pin cushion. The skinning continued over his stomach and on his sides…

When she was done with the front of his body, she had him raised up and turned around. The spike that she had jammed in his cheek painfully tore at it as it was left behind. The clicking of the chains counted the seconds to the next horrible pain-filled session. As he hanged by his arms, suspended in mid-air he cringed and screamed again as she repeated the brutal sequence on his back. More blades between his ribs and more skinning were done in-between. Sometimes she would drive a gash through his shoulder blades or disturb a wedged blade just for fun. By now he was freely sobbing… he couldn't take any more of this, and there was no sign of this nightmare ever ending.

After Joe had had her fun, she stepped away from Marshall and disappeared from his sight. His heart began racing, sending more pangs of pain through his body. What was she planning next?! Oh no… she was coming back… her steps sounded different, like she was carrying something-

A cold wash of water hit him from behind, but instead of bringing cold relief, it burned his entire body wherever the water flowed. Again he let out a gut-wrenching scream as this was happening. There was something else in the water – salt or acid – he didn't know what, but it felt like a thousand fire ants were eating at his skin…

To add to his suffering, Joe jumped and kicked him under his armpit and with a loud sickening crack broke his arm out of its socket. The weight of his body dragged down, leaving his arm at an odd angle above his shoulder. His voice was hoarse but he cried out as his body swung from the force, agitating the wedged blades between his ribs, and pulling at his loose arm and broken bones. Joe moved to his other side, and he stared at her with horrified eyes, knowing that she was going to do the same to his other arm…

His pleading mumbles fell on deaf ears as she again jumped and kicked him, breaking and dislocating his other arm. His vision was blurring from the pain, and was riddled with spots at the edges. He wished he could just pass out to escape this horrible torture… but he didn't. His body was too stubborn and his mind too resilient. He lost count of how many times she kicked him about, making the pain and agony drag on.

As he tried to fight the pain, Joe had gotten hold of more railway spikes… They were forcefully jammed in behind his knees, through to the front and through his kneecaps. Then she twisted and pulled it out at an angle, and jammed it in again from a different side. More strain was forced on his dangling body, and he didn't know what pain to flee from. It was made even worse as she kicked his kneecaps from the front…

Then she adjusted the chains' setup and had him hanging horizontally, so he faced the floor. He was whimpering, and as his tears dripped on the floor below him, he unwillingly listened to Joe's footsteps. His heart raced as he felt the chains pulling against his limbs. His muscles stretched painfully and his bones popped as they were strained from being pulled apart. As the stretching continued he yelled in protest in a long and unrelenting howl. For what felt like hours the pull didn't let up and he felt the chains being fastened to keep him hanging in suspense. There was a heavy metallic sound as Joe picked something up, and approached him. Then there was a moment of complete silence, save for his laboured breathing. If he could blink, he'd be doing so frantically… his eyes darted around, trying to see where Joe was.

More silence…

It was broken swiftly with the sound of her foot turning on the stone floor and he felt a blunt force to his stomach. She had hit him with a sledgehammer from below, just as he had exhaled and it sent him flying upwards. The impact sent searing pain through his body, and he tasted blood escaping from his mouth as he coughed out of reflex. His eyes bulged and he instinctively clenched his jaws – causing the nails to penetrate deeper in his gums. His scream was unworldly and terrified.

The pain carried on as his body fell down and the momentum sent him swinging and dangling on the chains. His arms and chest screamed form the terrible abuse as his misaligned bones had tried to heal and were now ground against each other. Loose muscles were stretched and torn, ribs were being cut by the blades and his backbone was most certainly fractured.

Before he could even try and make sense of all the pain, Joe swung again and this time hit him from above, close to his kidneys. There was a loud crack as his spine was shattered to pieces, and his abdomen felt like it wanted to burst. The indescribable pain sent his mouth agape as he tried to both scream and gasp. There was an odd exclaiming sound from his mouth – his body didn't know how to audibly respond anymore… his voice was hacking at air now, muddled with more audible gargles as he swung and rattled about on the chains.

Joe didn't stop at just the two hits… more followed. Then to make it worse, after she let him take a breath or two, she did some more quick and violent skinning again. That was a different kind of pain compared to the blunt force, and his mind didn't know which type was worse. Before she was finished with the hammer she hit him on his shoulders again, crushing whatever bones were left to support them. His arms were now hanging only by some muscle and sinews. The desperation of them clinging to his body was violently felt with any movement.

His knees also got the same treatment, as did his elbows, along with more spikes added. His whole body was a mess of blood and shredded skin and torn muscles. Bone pieces were sticking out, tearing at surrounding flesh with every movement. More spikes were added all over his body; some jammed in and others hammered in. The uncertainty of where the next one would land somehow drove him mad – especially when Joe paused between their placements.

Unfortunately for Marshall, Joe wasn't done with him yet… not even close.

Using the chains, she adjusted his position again. As he was dropped back on the table, he felt the blades digging deeper in between his ribs. The spikes added to the blinding pain, and he couldn't even lift his legs or arms to lessen the pressure. The blades between his ribs were just short of penetrating his lungs, but not enough to make them collapse. Joe had been smart with that.

He still had trouble breathing though, and he had another pain forming in his chest close to his heart. In truth, a heart attack would be child's play compared to all the other pain he was being put through but he dearly wished for one. His body had had enough a long time ago, and he had been wanting to die so many times already… but he couldn't. His body was too strong, and Joe was too smart to let him just die from his injuries.

A wash of terror shot through him as he felt the skinning starting again, this time on his legs… the time seemed to be dragging on as she had her pickings and re-pickings. At some point she surprised him by pulling out a spike from his knee and jamming it into his leg, piercing and crushing the bones. The sledgehammer made short work of his feet and ankles – his arms and legs were also treated with more blows. Some of them landed on the spikes, driving them deeper or crunching bones apart. Then more skinning followed.

His lungs were burning, as was his throat. There was no more sound coming from his mouth whenever he opened it to even cry. The pain never stopped though, and it came from all over.

Then he saw her standing over him, with a terrifying grin on her face. He wanted to hide away from that manic grin, but he couldn't move… both from being restrained and from the pain reminding him what would be in store for him if he tried. The spikes pinning him to the table didn't help either. Her shining eyes scared the life out of him... there was no sanity left in those eyes.

To his horror she had a finger extended, and started cutting him open from the top of his sternum down to his stomach with her sharp fingernail. She ripped open the skin and muscle like a curtain to expose his innards, and the odd sensation had his entire body reeling with unease. Even more horrible was the feeling of her digging through the organs and the mess of blood, like she was looking for something. The squelching noises made his skin crawl and he whimpered in feeble protest.

A sharp sting and a fleshy pop made him realise that she had torn something out… he didn't want to look, but he couldn't shut his eyes either.
He was feeling very lightheaded suddenly, and for a split second hoped that he would die now… maybe from blood loss… or organ failure… he didn't care which.

In his muddled state he felt himself moved again. This had the effect of reeling him awake as the pain reminded him of being alive. Where the spikes had him pinned was the worst as they didn't want to let go. He felt where flesh and bone was torn from him, clinging to the table and sinews or muscle snapped off. Joe had him hanging upside down freely now – the cuffs on his hands were taken off… but he couldn't move anything. The sprawling mess that was his innards dangled next to him and on the floor. That was another kind of horror to his psyche. He should have been dead by now… surely he should be dead! How the hell was he still alive?

… Then there was a strange sound… like bending metal. A small panic grew from deep inside his mind as the sound came closer. He realised that he was fully awake now, thanks to the remaining blood rushing to his head. As Joe stepped into view, she kneeled in front of him, holding a large saw blade for him to see.

She let him get a good look at it… it was a big one. It looked like it could cut through bone with those huge, sharp teeth. The panic that was growing let him put two and two together, and he gave a last attempt at screaming a plea even before Joe stood up to begin the final process. For added torture she placed a thick stick of wood in this mouth so that if he tried to bite, it would be on that. She even tied it with a piece of cloth to keep him from spitting it out. He continued to scream on in vain.

Joe didn't need anyone holding the other side of the saw as she positioned it between his legs. It was going to be a slow and terrifying process. Hearing yourself being cut in half while hanging upside down was one thing, being awake through the entire process was another… and that wasn't even how he was going to die… His frantic muffled screams and cries continued through the entire process. Joe loved it.

She would only stop once she got close to his heart… Then she would hold his head in an iron grip at each side and start squeezing it, while pressing her thumbs into his eyes. The pressure on his skull would build and build, and he would only die once his head was crushed to a pulp, long after what would feel like a lifelong migraine. It was an agonising way to die, having your imminent death stretched out like that.
The organ that she had removed previously was his liver. In werewolf culture, it was the prize of a kill and saved exclusively for the alphas. Joe kept it for Matthew, for he was her alpha as she was his. She didn't care what he did with it; it was the meaning of it that mattered. Now that Marshall was no longer a threat they could move on, and she wanted Matt to know that he meant the world to her. No matter what, or who…

A part of her was worried though... she didn't know how Matt was going to react to all this once he woke up. He'd protested against the torture, and she knew it was wrong. It was also right, though, in her mind. She needed for it to be carried through, more than anything, almost. Otherwise she'd never get over what Marshall had done to her.
Since it was done, she began cleaning up. It was the least she could do after being allowed by Mel to have the opportunity.

Rami watched quietly, as he had been doing the entire time. It hadn't been easy in the least, but he felt he needed to. Not because Mel had told him to, but because he wanted to keep an eye on Joe. He was worried about her, and worried for Faolan. It didn't look like the Voice had returned, but it definitely had left a taint on Joe. A bad one. Bad enough to have made her a monster.

Poor Matthew... the lad couldn't have picked a worse mate.

Rita walked back to the car with her head down, and managed to load up the car and get into it without actually looking Addie in the eye at all. It was hard to think with him here. What had Cyril said? 'There's a difference between accepting werewolves and falling for one.' That was certainly true, and in Rita's experience just accepting them was already complicated enough. She didn't need this. Taking on a child like Jessy could already get her killed by a whole heap of people, but letting herself get involved with one of... them? They had taken her mother for the same crime.

She turned in her seat to watch Jessy as a distraction. The way things were piled around the little one in her seat was bothering her, but Addie was driving carefully and nothing looked about to topple. He was right - the sleeping pup was so adorable that it melted Rita's heart. Being a mother could get tough, but she wouldn't have any trouble with loving her adopted daughter.

The smell took rather longer to get her attention, but by the time Addie had the window open even Rita's eyes were watering a little. It wasn't so difficult for her to escape, though; she stopped bothering to breathe and wound the window down on her side to help the fumes escape. Then she glanced back at Addie, and if she'd had any breath she would have been laughing.
She leaned out the window for a second, inhaled deeply and managed to say, "Pull over. We should probably deal with that... Then I'll drive, and you can lean out the window on this side. Easier anyway since I know where I live." She wasn't exactly looking forward to 'dealing with' what Jessy had just unleashed, but then again, it was just the first step in her crash course on motherhood.

-------

Tracking the wolf in the woods turned out to be much harder than Mel had anticipated. It was a female, she could tell, and one which stopped every so often to dig deep holes for no apparent reason before running off again in a seemingly random direction. But whoever this bitch was, she was damn good at covering her tracks, in spite of the clear evidence she left in her wake. Finding one hole wasn't much use in looking for the next, and even establishing an order was harder than Mel would have expected.

In the end she decided that checking on Matt was more pressing than hunting down whoever was playing this silly game, and headed back towards the house. When she got out of the trees, she spotted the girl sitting in the middle of the lawns immediately... Well, that made a lot of sense. It had been a long time since Mel had run with a wolf, but if Alicia had ever been good at anything, it was not getting caught.

She headed straight for the front door, trying to ignore the werewolf. Alicia knew this place inside out, and she'd already know the alarms weren't on. Waiting outside was a courtesy, and as Mel approached the front door, she felt the familiar presence of the wolf at her back. Too quiet, this one. Neither of them spoke as she opened the door and stepped back into the hallway.

-------

Matt had been slowly stirring for a few minutes, but he hadn't moved. His nose had told him that Mel was nowhere close, so he hadn't opened his eyes either, and he was just lying there getting his motor functions under control. Faolan probably knew he was waking up, but Matt didn't intend to give the old wolf much warning when he finally started to move.

The sound of the front door opening told him that he'd run out of time, and he threw himself off the couch he'd been lying on. He'd taken the time to figure out, by smell, exactly where he was and where he needed to get to, so he barely had to open his eyes before he'd pitched out into the corridor. He caught a glimpse of Mel, just for a moment, but she was too far away –

Without stopping to let her react, he kept moving until he was through the door leading to the basement steps. He lost his footing at the top, but nothing was going to stop him from getting down there now, and he tumbled down the stairwell with a sense of victory. He had to see what Joe had done, whether they wanted him to or not. Maybe she'd listened to him… maybe she'd actually stopped?

Addie didn't waste any words with his response. His eyes expressed gratitude as he nodded enthusiastically, still with his hand covering his shirt over his mouth and nose. Checking to see if it was safe, he pulled over and once out of the car he took a big breath of fresh air. He couldn't help a loud chuckle though.
"That's what we forgot - face masks!" he joked.

Little Jessy was completely awake now, and watched with bright eyes as Addie started hunting for a diaper and other necessities. He had to do a little digging and soon found the things needed. This he handed to Rita. "I'll dispose of Jessy's bomb once you're done." he offered. That way they could save time and he would have helped a little. Now they just needed a little breeze to blow away any stray fumes...

-----

Faolan did indeed notice when Matt started waking, but decided to let him get up on his own terms. The lad was up astonishingly quickly and he was surprised that no smashing into a wall was involved. As he ran to the door, Faolan only looked after him and the corner of his mouth twitched.
When Mel arrived with the other werewolf, Faolan got up by way of greeting them, but a part of him was listening for Matt's reaction to what he would see down below.

Rami was still perched against the wall, his arms crossed calmly. When Matt 'arrived' his eyes shifted and quick as lightning had his hand out to steady Matt's tumbling. He didn't hold on the lad, knowing how Matt might react. Still, it would be bad manners to just let the young wolf slam face first on the floor, albeit funny.

Joe had also heard Matt's entrance and turned around to look.
All but the table had been cleaned of blood and what-not, and Marshall's corpse lay spread on it like a half-eaten buzzard buffet. There was no furnace to burn the body in, and Joe would have to find out from Mel how she should dispose of it. Burying would probably be the easiest, but she needed to know if there was a specific area to do that in... wouldn't want any unwelcome noses sniffing about the place.

A smile broke out on Joe's face, and it might have been sweet if it wasn't for the red splattered blood on it and her body. If it wasn't for the cleaning with water, then her hands would have looked like she was wearing red gloves on them.

The look of relief Addie had when he managed to get into the fresh air made Rita smile, and she forgot to worry about all the awkwardness between them. She took a deep breath herself and headed back towards the car, a part of her dreading what she was going to find. The milk-soup Jessy had eaten hadn't been in the best state going in, and being digested by a toddler probably didn't improve most things.

"Right then, monster," she said cheerfully as she opened the car door, "what are we going to do about that smell?" How she wished that question was rhetorical… It took her a while to figure out how to even get to Jessy's nappy, which involved taking the wolf onesie off. Then she shuffled some things off the back seats, laid out the changing mat and laid Jessy down on it. If this went wrong, Addie would probably need to buy a new car. But she'd seen it done on television, and really, if humans could do it then how hard could it be?

"… do we have any… uhm… hand wipes, or something?" she muttered five minutes later, trying to stick the flaps down on the new nappy with her clean hand. All mothers got covered in poop, she told herself sternly. It was just part of the job.

-----

Mel didn't stop to greet Faolan, and instead made a futile move to try to stop Matt from leaping down the stairwell. He landed hard at the bottom, and she swore under her breath. If Rami hadn't caught him, he might have stunned himself long enough for her to intervene before he saw anything.

Alicia stayed standing nonchalantly in the hallway, and caught the little twitch at the corner of Faolan's mouth. She smiled wryly at him. "First time, domnule?" It was difficult for her to talk, and she sounded as though she had a mouth full of rocks, her human accent barely noticeable under the heavy taint of the wolf. The old man was out of place here, and she didn't feel as much at home as she'd expected herself.

From below came the strangled sound of Matt's stomach trying to reproduce its last meal.

One look at the mess of Marshall's body should have been enough for him, but when he'd got the dry heaves under control he couldn't help looking back at it. There was a fascinating sort of horror to it and quite honestly he'd never stopped to think what a human sawed in half would look like before. He'd seen animal kills that looked like this… but even with the mess that remained of Marshall's skull, he couldn't forget that this wasn't an animal. Worse, he had been alive when she'd done this to him.

Matt shot a panicked little glance at Rami, half expecting the vampire to be assembling a rifle again to try to 'deal with' the thing that had taken over Joe. Well, they'd tried that already, and he wasn't going to risk losing her again just for another few months' respite. But Rami seemed to be agreeing with him - or at very least he wasn't moving to grab a gun just yet.

It was only then that Matt managed to find it in him to actually look at Joe. He couldn't see her face clearly – it was dark and there was blood spattered all over her, but he tried to look her in the eyes without flinching. She looked like herself, calm and actually quite happy, and it was his job to keep her that way. "It's going to be all right," he said, in the measured, gentle voice people normally reserve for wild animals and frightened children. "Come upstairs. I'll clear up down here." He held out his hands to her, slowly, palms upward, still watching her face. "We can beat this thing, Joe. I know we can."

Addie had been watching the process of Nappy Changing with... interest... and maybe even dread. The instruction videos he'd seen for websites that he'd worked on made it looked much less complicated. A whole lot cleaner too. A tiny voice echoed worriedly: What have I gotten myself into? ... Then he mentally shrugged. Baby poop, apparently.

At Rita's request he handed her a pack of scented wipes, one of which he held over his nose like a mask. Changing nappies definitely wasn't a pretty job, especially when the little pup was having a ball. Little Jessy found this hilarious! Little giggles echoed as she twitched her little legs and swung her arms at Rita.

"I think there are some paper towels as well..." Addie said, and dug a roll of it out as well. There was a twinkle in his eye as he was watching all this, and despite the smell and the mess, he couldn't help but enjoy this moment. "I'll take her and you can get cleaned up a little?" he suggested. There was a strange feeling inside of him, and it was growing, little by little.

-----

The first thing Faolan noticed about the female werewolf was her foreign smell. He couldn't really place it, but when she spoke that cleared things up a bit. He looked at her and shrugged with a wry smile, "Aye." he answered. "Faolan." he introduced himself and extended a hand towards her in greeting.
"Erm, if I may ask... your accent... you're from somewhere in Russia?" he enquired. He didn't know much about the place, having never been there, but the sudden presence of this foreign werewolf had him cautious. Joe's other grandfather was from somewhere there... and a part of him worried that he may have gained interest in her. That would only mean trouble.

Matt's words and body language didn't feel right to Joe, and the smile on her face faded a little. What did he mean about beating something? She looked back at the mess that was left of Marshall and then again at Matt, "I just did." she answered him. Here eyes darted to his hands and the way they were gesturing. What, did he think she was going to bite him? She tilted her head to the side slightly. "Are you alright?" she asked Matt and approached him, but then with a flicker of excitement in her eyes she turned and picked up a wrapped makeshift bag. "I saved this for you." she said, the smile returning, "In our culture it's customary that the alphas always get the liver of a kill... you don't have to eat it if you don't want, but I want you to know that you mean everything to me, Matt... and... I'm sorry for... for tricking you..."

Rita watched Jessy wriggle with a raised eyebrow, but she kept a smile on her face. "Well, at least somebody's enjoying this." As far as she knew, most babies cried over being covered in poop, but not Jessy. That was something – it'd be easier to care for a happy baby than one who cried all the time over nothing. Also, Jessy was of an age to express her needs, at least a little bit.

Addie's offer to take Jessy off her hands surprised her, and it showed on her face. "What, is the smell gone?" It certainly wasn't to her nose, but then if you stopped breathing completely, it did tend to make existing odours linger for longer. She took the wipes and paper towels gratefully and started wiping herself down. Truthfully this whole experience had been less unusual than she liked to admit, although she was more used to being splattered with blood or vomit. She was surprised to see Addie wading in. Maybe it looked like she didn't have this situation under control. Or maybe he was just being nice. Something about his expression bugged her just a little, but she couldn't put her finger on it. Probably she was imagining things… again.

-----

Alicia gave a very wolfish grin in response to Faolan's greeting. "Alicia." It was harder to say than she'd anticipated – how long had it been since she was last human? She wasn't even sure. Many suns and moons.
She gave him a patient look as he enquired about her accent, and then shook her head slightly. "Romania." A moment's thought about the confusion prompted her to add, "Once occupied by USSR, but now free country." Vampire country. Faolan's obvious concern puzzled her and she cocked her head. "In Russia, many werewolves…" She herself didn't tend to worry too much about werewolves, she just kept below the radar. She had bigger things to worry about most of the time.

-----

Nothing Joe was saying made any sense. For a moment as her smile faded Matt thought she'd started to realise what was happening, but that didn't seem to be the case. His brow furrowed slightly as he watched her. There was no sign of the Voice, but still she seemed completely unperturbed by the mess of Marshall's remains. For some reason, this was starting to make him anxious.
When she asked if he was all right, it dawned on him that he had no idea how to answer that, or indeed what was going on here. Probably, if he'd been able to find the words, his response would have been 'No… why are you?'… but as it was, he just stared back at her in silence.

Then she reached for a bag, and his eyes darted between it and her face as she spoke. What could she have 'saved' for him that he could possibly want? He put a hand out to take it from her, but the smell of it made him stop, and then her words sunk in and he pulled his hand back as though he'd been burned. "What the – is that his – are you insane?" His feet seemed to act of their own accord and he backed off quickly, raising his hands again as though to ward off something evil. "Keep that thing away from me!" His mind raced back and forth over what she'd said, trying to make some sense of it. Why in hell would she even think of him wanting to eat Marshall's liver?

And then the little niggling worry finally resolved itself, and he stopped. There was no trace of the Voice. She had done this to Marshall herself, in spite of his protests, and she didn't even seem to recognise that there was a problem. He glanced at what was left of Marshall – disembowelled and sawn in half – and then back to Joe's face. "I'd have died to save you from that thing, but you're just as bad," he said, his voice full of quiet horror. "Stay away from me." Then he turned and bolted up the steps out of the cellar.

"Uh, no... still potent." Addie answered Rita's question and his ears seemed to move downwards, but behind the 'mask' he smiled wryly. "-but I may as well get used to it, otherwise it might be death by intoxication!" his voice changed to sound theatrical and dramatic as he moved to pick Jessy up, and this amused her greatly. Even though his eyes began to water, they still smiled as he widened them at Jessy for effect. More bubbles of laughter followed and she hid her face playfully against his shoulder.

He gave a silly 'evil' "Ha haw!" when she looked back at him and again hid her face with a loud giggle. With a chuckle he looked back up at Rita and there was a softness in his eyes. The feeling grew just a little more, and he realised that he was really feeling like a dad to this little pup... it gave him a warm, fuzzy feeling, and he liked it.

Then the little pup grabbed the wipe from his relaxed hand and he immediately retaliated half-playful and half-desperate, "Hey! Nono! Givegivegive...!" but she still held the wipe solidly and against her little chest to hide it away. So, what any parent would do in this situation, he tickled her. Then with the playfulness still in his voice and expression he looked at Rita, "Rita, we have a little thief in our hands!" but then the smell got too much again and he had to turn his face away and coughed, "... a very stinky one, too..." and blinked at the tears. Still, he didn't want to just dump the pup on Rita again. He wanted to show his dedication.

-----

"Ah, a pleasure, miss." Faolan nodded and smiled. "I see... well, I don't know much about those lands. Never been there." he confessed.
Seeing her curiosity he cleared his throat and thought about asking her about Joe's other grandfather. He was well known there, not quite like an overlord... maybe like a Mafia boss... but whichever term it was, he was a wolf of great power and feared by many.

Perhaps he should ask...

"Hmm. Any chance you know anything of one named Timur Bushkov?" he asked. "Has he been up to much?" Raids, pillaging of small villages, hunting down vampires or dominating more packs, suchlike...? his mind added.

Matt's reaction had Joe's current state of mind quite baffled. She didn't understand it. Why was he acting this way? She had just dealt with a huge threat and made absolutely sure that Marshall had pain for his crimes. Everything she had done to him had been driven by the pain he had caused her... deep and insufferable pain. Now with it done, there was no lingering anguish to ferment deep in her mind and make things worse in the future.

Of course, Joe couldn't explain this to Matt... not in her current state of mind.

The tiny part that was still whole and, well, sane, heard his words as Matt ran out. She stood quietly, and didn't move, but wasn't standing stiff either. Perhaps the shock hadn't set in yet. This is what Rami was thinking as he still watched Joe. Then he saw her face lower slightly, but not in sadness... her eyes hadn't moved down to the ground, but almost looked as if she was angry. She didn't smell angry though.

Then he understood. Her mind had decided to put this aside and focus on something else, like continuing to clean up...
Rami squinted slightly. Was she keeping her emotions in to avoid bursting out? To keep herself from hurting Matt in blind rage? No, that wasn't it. It was something else. He just wasn't sure what. It didn't occur to him that maybe her wolf half was protecting her human half from damage, like it had done earlier.

When Matt came running up the stairs Faolan heard the urgency in his steps. This had him immediately worried as to why, but as he looked he didn't see Joe chasing the lad. He looked to the others. What Joe had done must have been very bad indeed, but he wasn't going to go down and look. Rami would fill him in on the details.

Judging from Addie's initial reaction to the smell, Rita wouldn't have said he'd be able to just 'get used to it', but she didn't say as much. It was after all up to him what he wanted to stick his nose into. Still, he didn't exactly have to do this. She watched him as she wiped her hands clean, and smiled when she saw how he made little Jessy laugh with his antics. He was going to be a really good dad, both for Jessy and for his own pups someday.

When she was clean she started to hold her arms out to take Jessy back, but at that moment the pup snatched Addie's makeshift mask away. She let him tickle Jessy for a little while, but then it seemed that the fumes were indeed getting the better of him, so she decided to help out. Taking another wipe from the packet she spread it across her palm, then stepped forward and casually backhanded him in the face, pressing the new wipe over his mouth and nose. "You're welcome," she said cheerfully, reaching to support Jessy with her free arm in case he wanted to hand her over and get some air again.

She turned her attention to Jessy then and said in an exaggerated tone, "You know what we get for thieving, don't you?" ... and with wide eyes she added, "Death by tickling!"

-----

Alicia gave Faolan a long, blank look and tried to decide what exactly he was expecting her to say. Russia was a big enough country on its own, without lumping Romania in there as well. "No," she replied evenly, "In Romania only vampires. Perhaps a Russian would know of your Mr. Timur."
Privately she thought that Romanians in general had bigger problems than the activities of a werewolf several countries away, no matter how bad he might be. After all, there hadn't been books written and movies made about Timur Bushkov.

Matt shot past Mel in something of a blur and almost collided with Alicia as his feet tried to remember the way out of here. He wasn't aware of much, although Mel gave him such a strange look that he became vaguely aware of himself babbling, "She's insane… she's completely insane…"
His mind had stalled, in a manner of speaking, and he needed time and space to even begin to comprehend what was happening. A big part of him felt horrified at what Joe had done, but a smaller voice was questioning: if this was the punishment, then what had the crime been like? Instinctively he shied away from that thought. He was supposed to protect her. He'd failed.

Without really realising it he'd made it through the front door, across the lawns and into the woods, but something stopped him from carrying on in a straight line out of there. Instead he swung round, almost without noticing, and started to move sideways until he wasn't running away from the house, but around it. Terrible things were happening here, but however much he wanted to he couldn't just run away. He might be a coward, but that didn't mean it was ok to do the cowardly thing.

Rita's hand on his face (even with the wipe in between) completely surprised him. His eyes said it all, along with his eyebrows showing his momentary confusion. "Uh, fankth.." he managed with his voice muffled.

Her hand so up close brought her scent even closer to home, despite the wipe's scent. His heart skipped a little beat as he realised that she actually smelled really nice! His temporary daydreaming was broken by Jessy screaming excitedly and hiding deeper in his arm. She swung her little arms up and down and lost grip of the wipe.

Addie then decided to gently touch Rita's hand to let her know that he'd take hold of the wipe and she wouldn't have to hold it... against his face... anymore. He was feeling the sensation of blood rushing to it and his neck. "Here, little lass, let's let yer new mum hold you for a bit, eh?" he said with a smile towards Rita as he handed Jessy to her gently. "I'll pack the stuff back.. you ladies enjoy the wonderful weather." he added cheerfully as he moved to the back seat, bending down to pick up the fallen wipe on the ground.

-----

Faolan caught the tone in Alicia's voice and smiled apologetically, "Ah, I apologise... I thought you might be one who's traveled there." Not that he knew just how big the continent really was. As he thought about it, him asking her if she knew one person in a large country was kind of silly, if not stupid. Still, didn't hurt to ask.

When he caught Matt's mumbling, his eyes shifted to Mel questioningly and with a hint of worry. Was she going to go after the lad? Also, had Joe heard him? ...

She had, in fact, heard him.

These words, along with his previous ones danced about in her head in a merry little distorted tune. Outside she merely looked more set on her task of cleaning. Rami watched her all the time, for any warning signs.

"What were his words again? ... "As for what kind of person you are, I know that too: exactly the kind I want." Bucky mimicked Matt's voice in a melodramatic tone. "You'd really have to go some to screw this up. After all we've been through... you really think you can shake me off now?" his tone ended darkly as he stared at Joe with glee.

He gave a slow clap, "Well done, dear Joe. Or should I call you an insane thing? ... yeah, I think that's what Matt said before he ran away... and..." he hesitated and his eyebrows rose as he turned to look at her sideways, "abandoned you."

Joe hesitated, and stared at nothing for a moment. Bucky smiled as he propped his chin on a hand, "You poor insane monster."

Her eyes seemed to flare brightly for a second, but then she merely continued on her mission.

It was surprising how often hindsight told Rita that she'd made a mistake. The look on Addie's face was enough for her to realise that possibly slapping a scented baby wipe into the face of a man you'd just met wasn't generally acceptable, and she silently cursed herself for even thinking of it. The little stutter of his heartbeat also registered, but she didn't make anything of it, and concentrated instead on shifting Jessy's weight out of his arms. Then she felt the warmth of blood rushing into his face, and smelled it too. She cringed inwardly. How had this ever seemed like a smart move?

She yanked her hand away as soon as she was sure he'd taken the wipe off her, and transferred it to Jessy as she backed away from him. Dammit. Well, at least of all the ways she could have randomly decided to break the touch barrier, this wasn't aggressive or... well... anyway, it was just weird. Which pretty much summed her up, so at least it was appropriate.

"Sorry," she mumbled, skewing her mouth and looking sideways at him. "Uh... I can... help?" Truth be told, she had forgotten the awkwardness between them for a moment, but it was certainly back now in full force. Somehow, though, it didn't seem quite as bad this time even though there was more behind it, and she permitted herself a shy little smile. He'd called her Jessy's mum; that was sweet of him. She hugged the little pup to her and smiled. "If nice Addie wants to be daddy, he'd better get used to the smell, hm?"

-------

Alicia gave Faolan a wry smile and shrugged. She'd honestly never even been to Russia, although that wasn't to say she didn't know people who had. "If he is big alpha, maybe I can find news?" The old man clearly didn't mean any harm, and although she wasn't best pleased to be taken for a Russian, she could tell he was just fishing for some word of a distant acquaintance. It wasn't as though asking would hurt anyone, was it?

Mel had in fact decided that chasing Matt wasn't going to do much good - mostly because if she caught up she'd be forced to agree with him. Joe wasn't mentally stable and she wasn't safe. Still, she'd brought about a change in Matthew that Mel hadn't thought possible since his parents had died. He'd cared about something, bothered to really live his life. Left alone he might sort his head out; the last thing he needs was Mel's perspective on things.

Out in the woods, Matt found himself slowing without knowing why. He didn't want to. If he ran, the steady rhythm of his footsteps could keep his mind carefully blank, and then he wouldn't have to think about any of this. But nevertheless he was slowing, and thinking it over was going to be inevitable...

Addie flashed a quick smile as he responded to Rita's offer, "No worries," and with the wipe held in place still managed to get the things packed and neat for them to continue the drive.

Little Jessy gave a delightful little gurgle as Rita hugged her, and with little padded hands touched her new mum's face. It felt so cool in comparison to the air, and also to her new dad.

"All set." He announced and stood holding the door for the two ladies. Not that he had to, but he felt compelled to. As Rita said, he'd have to get used to certain things now. Despite the stinky part, these new things weren't bad.
He also opened and held the door for Rita when she was done getting Jessy in the car. He didn't take the wipe away yet, but he was still holding his charming smile behind it.

-----

"Oh, well, that ..." Faolan stammered a bit, "It's... No, it's alright miss." He settled on respectfully declining her offer. "No news is good news I suppose." He shrugged lightly.
Last thing he wanted to do was draw the other grandfather's attention to Joe by havIng someone ask around. "But thank you kindly for the offer."

"Heh, and did you see the look on his face? Hell! I think it was even better than his eyes, don't you think?" Bucky jeered.
Joe was still quiet, and although this annoyed the dead vampire, he knew that he was indeed getting to Joe. He could quite literally read her thoughts, after all.

She was finished cleaning now, and Rami had preemptively headed upstairs. He cleared his throat when he was at the top of the stairs, sparing a glance to Faolan and nodding towards Alicia.
Then he turned his attention towards Mel, "So, what's the choice method here of getting rid of body parts?" He asked casually.

From the corner of his eye he saw Faolan's expression flickering between shock and concern, but then regain his composure.. Somewhat.

Rita continued tickling Jessy under her arms as Addie packed up the car. Under any other circumstances she might have been cross at being left to hold the baby while the man did all the physical work, but with this particular baby she couldn't be grumpy. Besides, Addie was clearly trying to be kind, and he could probably do with a break from the lingering smell.

After she'd settled Jessy back into her seat and fastened the straps, she went to climb into the driver's seat and found Addie holding the door open. For a moment she thought he'd forgotten her offer to drive, but something in his posture told her otherwise... oh, right. This was what gentlemen a hundred years ago used to do for ladies, right? She gave him an odd little smile and got into the car. It might be unexpected, but a part of her liked his gesture, and that got her thinking again... He really was a nice guy, wasn't he?

She waited for him to get into the passenger's seat, but didn't start the engine. Instead she turned to face him and gave him a very thorough, searching look. "Dinner tomorrow night..." she began, a little uncertain. "You want to come?" She wasn't even sure herself whether she was trying to invite him along.

--------

Alicia shrugged gracefully as Faolan declined her offer; the old man was odd, but it wasn't her business. She had to wonder though why he'd ask about this guy if he didn't want to know... that intrigued her, and she decided to make enquiries of her own. Discreet ones. In general, the kinds of people worth asking after weren't the type she wanted to know that she was asking.

Interestingly, Mel didn't respond to Rami's question, and when Alicia glanced round, it was to find her staring at the front door with an unfocused expression on her face. After another moment of silence, it was Alicia who answered calmly, "There's an incinerator in the grounds. I can point you the right way..."
She was still watching Mel, and the old vampire wasn't moving. Whoever the boy was, his sudden departure had had far more impact than Alicia had anticipated.

--------

Matt had sat down and dropped his head into his hands. He couldn't close his eyes, not without seeing Marshall. He couldn't keep from imagining what it had looked like, as Joe worked on him. A part of him had known, he realised - at least that she was capable of this. But then, how had he fallen in love? And how could he go back, now that this side of her character could no longer be ignored? These were questions he wasn't even sure he wanted to know the answers to...

Addie was quietly glad that Rita had accepted his gesture and didn't seem offended by it. As he closed the door and walked over to get in the car he was reminded how his father always told them how gentlemen were a dying breed. His mother would then usually respond with a kind kiss saying that she was glad to have such a rare treasure. Then they'd get all googly-eyed and Addie would make himself scarce. As a kid he never understood romance, but being an adult himself now, he was glad of what he could learn from his parents.

Rita seemed to have something on her mind as he sat, and so he turned his attention to her. His eyebrows twitched questioningly, "Hm?"

Then she asked him to join her at the dinner... did he hear correctly? For a moment his mind oggled over this, and then of all times, a sneeze creeped up. The result was him looking like he was gasping in shock and might protest, but at the last moment he turned forward and let loose an impressively explosive sneeze. He blinked through the tears, and with Jessy being once more amused she was laughing and clapping her little hands.
"Ex-cuuse me." he apologised, "Erm-" but was interrupted by another violent gust of sneezing, and had to chuckle at himself. Then with a deep breath, with the somewhat tattered cloth still held in front of his nose, he nodded with a bit more refinement, "Yes, thank you. I'd love to."

-----

The air in the house had definitely changed somehow, and Rami decided to not bother Mel too much. He thus turned his attention to Alicia, "Yes, thank you. Once that's done we can..." he then glanced over to Faolan and hesitated a second, "see how to take things from here."
The old wolf was definitely worried, and things needed to wrap up. He knew that Joe was now in a very delicate state, and anything could set her off or complicate things drastically. Maybe it was a good thing that Matt wasn't around right now. Rami might also have to have a chat with the lad about Joe, despite the little wolf disliking him.

He found that Joe had remained stationary in the room below, and she must have heard about the incinerator because everything was neatly arranged. She had thankfully also washed her face and arms and the look on her face was of someone trying not to listen to something... or was it someone?

Oh right, Bucky. He was probably bothering her again.

The change in Addie's face had Rita on the defensive again, and she unconsciously cringed away, trying to put the steering wheel in the way in case he was going to take a swing at her. As far as she was aware, she'd given him no reason to do so, but that didn't always mean you weren't going to get hit…

The sneezing made her jump when it started, and she let out a little involuntary squeak at the force of it. Then her mind caught up to what was actually going on, and she gave a little laugh as she straightened up in the driver's seat, feeling rather awkward. Wow, this was a new low – trying to hide because a man was sneezing at her. Poor Addie… he hadn't even done anything to deserve such wariness. Well, other than asking her out, sort-of. Although on the other hand, he was within his rights to do that, and he'd backed down very graciously after she'd not-exactly turned him down.
She turned in her seat to smile at Jessy's amused reaction, still laughing herself at the ridiculousness of her own response…
"Yes, thank you. I'd love to."
She froze, and then blinked very slowly without turning back round. Breathe, she reminded herself, just breathe slowly and don't freak out. This was fair enough, after all, her question had probably sounded like an invitation. Besides, panicking would help nobody. But… did she want him there? "Um…" She swallowed hard. Well, if she couldn't trust Addie, she had no hope of caring for Jessy alone. The little brave – or possibly reckless – part of her decided to speak up before the rest could have a proper say. "Seven o'clock, then, ok?"

-----
Alicia waited patiently for Rami to come back up from the cellar, and while she waited, she continued watching Mel closely. Her head cocked to the side as she wondered why Mel didn't just run after the boy and drag him back here… seeing the old vampire so uncertain unnerved her thoroughly. Alicia wasn't bothered by the smell of blood or the screaming she'd heard from the woods, but something bigger was wrong in this house.

She turned to Faolan for someone to talk to, since something told her not to break through Mel's absorbed state of mind. "The boy, he is… soft, no?" The question was a little too simplistic, but she couldn't find a subtler way of phrasing it. As for the girl in the basement, Alicia didn't want to know. Savage wolves were best avoided, in her experience.

-----

Matt meanwhile had calmed down enough that the past few minutes had started to run on replay through his head. First came the memory of her holding the liver out for him, like some sort of wrapped gift, babbling about what he meant to her. As though he could believe she cared for him, or even knew him at all, when she was trying to give him that damn thing.

And then, almost from outside himself, he remembered hearing someone's voice raised in horror. "Stay away from me", it had said... The words echoed a little and for a moment he couldn't work out where they'd come from, and then it dawned on him that he hadn't just turned tail and run out of there like he should have done. "Shit," he said quietly, and got to his feet. He stayed standing in the forest, indecisive… on the one hand, he had to try to take back what he'd said, but on the other… if he tried to go back into the house, with Joe in her present state, he might get himself killed.

The ride to Rita's house wasn't too bad, and eventually the smell from Jessy had subsided. Getting everything unpacked was done in no time and Addie helped to arrange things for a little diaper change area and getting Jessy settled in. Of course it was Rita's house so he made sure not to intrude or just venture about. To keep little Jessy busy he gave her the little stuffed toy which promptly went to her mouth.

All in all he thought that things were going well, and he commented on how lovely and homely Rita's house was. It really was... and he couldn't keep the smile out of his eyes.

-----

Faolan had gotten Joe home with little trouble, and there was enough sense in her to have thanked Mel fro her time and use of her house. The old wolf didn't miss Joe's expression though. It looked... hollow. Like she was lost. Then there was the irritation in her muscles which slipped out via small twitches - she was definitely trying not to lash out at Bucky again.

They were sitting in her room at the foot of her bed, and he had a protective arm over her. Like with his late wife, he had told her that he was here for her, and if she wanted to talk then he would gladly listen. That was it. The rest was up to Joe to open up. She just needed time...

As for Rami, he had offered to talk to Matt about Joe. He knew her, and he sensed that Matt was very much confused at the moment.. maybe even a little bit scared but he had left that part out. Without any protest to stop him, he had gone to find Matt.

Not much to his surprise he had found the young lad had followed Faolan and Joe home. Right.

He announced himself wit a soft clear of his throat and approached Matt. "Mind if I join you?" he asked quietly, and if he didn't, the old vampire would sit next to Matt, but not too close. "So, what's on your mind?"

Coming home always made Rita feel a mixture of peace and sadness, and she wandered through her house this time as though seeing it with new eyes. This place had been bought by an optimistic young couple expecting their first baby, but that dream had only lasted a few short years. Even the mural in the stairway had never been finished, although at least the people who'd bought the house after her father died hadn't painted over it. Having Jessy here seemed to bring the place back to life somehow, and she smiled to herself, understanding a little of how her mother had felt back then.

Addie's comment might have stung at any other time, reminding her of the family that was supposed to have lived here, but not today. After she'd moved most of the things into the house, she stood in the doorway of Jessy's new room, watching him settle her in. The sight warmed her heart.

"You can make yourself at home here," she said quietly after a while. "I mean, I don't have fresh food but there's stuff in the freezer, and, well, you can stay as long as you want." After all, it wouldn't be much of an intrusion, into this mausoleum she'd spent recent years avoiding as much as possible. Perhaps he could even help to save it, rescue something of the home within these walls.

-----

Matt had been a little surprised to notice Faolan and Joe leaving Mel's house already, and when he got near enough to catch a fleeting glimpse of them through the trees, Joe looked very calm. Well, that was… good, right? At least it validated his decision not to go back and try to apologise for what he'd said. Although, even if he didn't want her to be hurt, it did sting a little to see her so unfazed by his departure. He followed them back at a good distance, not wanting her to sense his presence, and sat down when he got within earshot of the house.

By the time Rami approached, he couldn't find the motivation to even turn his head and look at him. Recent events had been going round in his head so much that he felt stuck. "No," he said in a dead voice, without bothering to completely process the question.

The next question did cause him to turn, and he gave Rami a long blank look. He'd have thought the answer to that would be obvious, but he was surprised to find he couldn't put it into words. "I… she's… well, you know," he said lamely. "I don't know what to think, or what to do…"

Status
Not open for further replies.