Our Little Secret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicoli was working diligently, as he always did. He didn't show even the slightest concern about Sasha's continuous paper cuts. She was a big girl, she could deal with those cuts herself. It took a lot more than that to get sympathy out of this one. One of the many reasons why people called him an asshole, he supposed.

At the mention of computers, he made a glance at his machine, then looked back at the paperwork in his hands. "I prefer the old fashioned way. We digitize only certain files, since it's not a trustworthy method." She said it herself, digital files are so easy to copy. Nicoli was too paranoid about having everything on hard drive.

After she asked her question, he looked over for a minute. Not to give her any looks, but to see if she was getting blood on his neat, tidy paperwork. She was probably being careful. Habits were hard to break, though. He could be obsessive with how clean his work is. That was ironic, since killing people was quite messy work.

"That depends on a few critical details; the person involved and the amount of money I'm owed. For every day I don't get paid, the price goes up. Usually after about a week, I have to start breaking windows, bones, and dreams. It never ends pretty, that's all there is to it." The answer was given with a cold, casual tone while he sorted through the stack of papers. It was like listening to the soft spoken lullaby of a mad man. "If it's a person who can be of use, I might not resort to violence. They can pay me with information, or favors. That's only if the above can amount to the money I'm expecting, though. And after the exchange, I won't do business with them anymore."

Hopefully that all made sense. It wasn't everyday he was explaining how he really did business.

• Love
Reactions: Hydronine

Sasha nodded as Nico responded, taking a moment to stretch before continuing to file. And then his answer to her last question was given thought as she worked.

Her eyes glanced to him in acknowledgement as she shrugged. Honestly his answer was what she expected. No surprises there. She kept filing with no sign of response other than what she had given. Sasha wasn't picky on the people around her- they were allowed to be dangerous assholes all they wanted to be, so long as they didn't endanger her. Besides, he'd been at this long before she'd come into the picture, not like she could change it, even if she was inclined to do so.

Finally she was almost done, which had given her time to figure out what she wanted to pin down. "I... know what I need for my plans. For the place. I just need money, really. I have... contacts for the other particulars. They owe me, so at most I'll just need to go on a few dinners and drinks, catch up while I pin down the materials and items I need. I know what I want- and the people that matter to that plan are already aware of it." She started as she filed the last paper. "I've had this plan for years. Kept an eye on the people I want. Replacements can be found, but I'm sure I won't run into trouble with it." She continued softly, her voice edged with slight confidence. "I know that what I'm going to be offering as a business will be wanted- sought after. I'm not just saying that as a boast- I'd bet my last dollar on it. When you're going for luxury, most people want a high degree of it. Sometime's that's unattainable without... restrictions. But I'm confident in my choices on people I've selected... location... themes..." She listed off slowly as she looked to him, calm and collected- a stark contrast from the other day.

"The only thing I need... is money... and... you." She was pausing after that, her mouth turned to a straight line, brows furrowing. "I need to see my mentor. It was one of the stipulations of her teaching me- if I want to open a place, I need her... blessing." Sasha set her jaw at an angle for a moment. "She's cranky... scary... a hard-ass... but I do owe her. A lot." That shakeiness was coming up again, and she shrugged it off quickly, not entirely comfortable with breaching the topic, but if this was going to amount to anything, this needed to happen. "If I go alone, she'll murder me on the spot for what happened to my hair, let alone... everything else. So I need you." She explained as she smoothed out her dress and stretched again. "You're a regular of mine, even if she thinks I fucked up your hair in places- she'll be more reserved. Probably. I think." She seemed to shrug that off as well. "Also she's practically the closest thing I have to a mother, essentially, so there's that..."

"It's just a talk, and it shouldn't take that long- she's... discreet, wouldn't give a crap about your business. Doesn't care about the type of people around her. The only danger you're going to face is probably her dog, and he's all bark, no bite." She seemed to be talking like there was no way for Nico to wiggle out of this one, and then she looked to him with a genuine smile and scratched the back of her head. "I'm not joking, she will probably get furious when she sees me. I already broke two of the stipulations, but it can be fixed- they were necessary to my survival. Hair grows back and... she doesn't need to know about my tattoo or the scars. This can't exactly be worked around- I need her approval. If I can get that, this'll actually work. If I tried to open a place without her, she could easily make it so I wouldn't get any business. She's kinda top-dog in my field. I need her approval, and you're my ace." She spoke softly, her tone serious before continuing. "For a couple reasons, one being that I saw a name in the stack. You've done business with one of her people. That's... going to make this easier. So helping you, helped me." She grinned darkly and stretched again, a series of cracks coming from her back. "It would mean a lot to me." She stated quietly. "I'd be willing to do anything to sweeten the deal- I need you there- And I'm not strong enough, or skilled enough to just drag you there." That wasn't a joke, she had entertained the idea. Probably spoke volumes on the person she wanted Nico to meet.

"That's all I need, money... probably ten or twenty grand... maybe a bit more -probably a bit more- to help with the building and changes I'm going to need to make.... and for you to accompany me to see my mentor." She finished, looking to him while she chewed a bit on her lower lip. "Please." She added as an after-thought.

There were no meetings for today. Those would come next week, when he'd officially be back on track. Nicoli was so absorbed into his work that he didn't pay any mind to the time. He was used to spending hours here, no matter what the time. This building and company were his, he'd waste as much time here as he pleased!

Another reason he liked being at work was how quiet it was. Nobody dared disturb him without an appointment, or at least a phone call before dropping in. The quiet ticking of the clock and the traffic outside were all the background noise he needed, though he could admit to being a fan of mother nature's orchestra. Music wasn't a topic he could get too passionate about, otherwise.

That silence was short lived, as he should have expected. At the start of Sasha's spiel, he felt the grip around his pen grow tight. Nicoli wasn't about to be rude or show any annoyance. She had a right to his attention, after all. It was just taking some...getting used to. While transitioning his brain function from work mode to boyfriend mode, he fixed his posture and made a turn in his office chair so he was facing her. Nico felt she was deserving of his eye contact. This wasn't one of his clients who he could openly show no interest in. This was his Angel, his everything.

As she talked on, Nicoli felt increasingly proud. No text messages shoved in his face, not a lot of errors in her speech either. There was a lot of information to take in, though. He wasn't expecting her to know a number this early, since they discussed this only a little bit last night. Obviously, she had this figured out. "Who are these people that owe you favors?" The question came from curiosity, as well as concern for her safety. He didn't want to control her or tell her how to do her business. Other than that, he supposed she'd simply ask for more assistance from him where necessary.

Though, he wasn't expecting that to be at some old woman's house. About halfway through her explanation about this 'mentor,' his displeasure became more visible. Nicoli wasn't the sort to make personal visits, so the idea immediately caused some discomfort. On top of that, there was a dog? To put it bluntly: Nicoli hated animals. All of them. Anyone who asks his opinion on what the best kind of pet usually gets the 'The dead kind' or 'Pet rock' responses.

"So you're saying you want twenty-thousand dollars, maybe more, from me? And to visit some broad that taught you how to cut hair?" That was him double checking on what she was asking, even if the words sounded rude. Nicoli sighed and scratched at the back of his head, unintentionally mirroring when she had done it seconds before. That same hand dropped onto the nearby desk surface, his eyes making one quick glance at the last sheet of paper he was looking over. Promptly, his eyes were back on her. "You wouldn't have to force me, sweetheart." His voice had a more intimate tone to it that time. Nico was convinced that he'd do just about anything this woman asked of him. She was damn lucky he loved her so much.

"I'll finish up here and we can spend some time on your...plans," Nicoli offered. It didn't show, but he was excited to get started on helping her. Whatever it took, he'd provide. Feeling the need for a back stretch, he got up from the chair to do so. Right after, he showed up at her side to lean in close enough that their noses touched. He could play the cute card when he was in the mood for it. "Proud of you, by the way, for telling me exactly what you wanted. Confidence is sexy on you." A soft chuckle rumbled in his throat.

• Love

Sasha perked up at Nico's questions, giving thoughts to what he asked, thinking of how to answer what he asked. "Hue Lann- he's probably who I'm going to contact for artistic fixtures- paintings... sculptures... He's saved my ass a few times... In return I supplied him drugs when I was mixed up with that, saved him from getting caught by an undercover cop... managed to keep Mark from killing him- he's the guy I ran into at that garden party I told you about that I snuck into. He's... a friend I guess." She smiled a little at some of the memories, then moved on. "You know Britney- I need her for a few reasons. She continually owes me for dealing with her boyfriend-shit. I... am fairly certain that relationship will get abusive, but it's not my place- I'll just have another favor to add to the collection if I save her ass again." Sasha seemed uncaring about her friend's predicament, more of just an acknowledgement to human stupidity.

"My old boss- Kyle, is actually pretty damned important. One, he's got experience in this shit, and also I need his talent. He actually does owe me for... a few things..." She seemed tight-lipped about that, brows furrowed for a bit before she continued on. "I have a few hatchlings from my mentor who look promising, as well. If I can snatch them up before... a colleague does. They're still in the midst of learning respect and tools of the trade, but they've got skill." She thought for a bit more, then looked up at him. "I also need installations for different fixtures for hairstyling... spa... showers... baths... tables... A friend of Britney's- I believe her name was "Tonya", owes me for a large... amount of... substances. So that's going to be worked out easily. Hue knows someone in sound-proofing and in sound systems, which will prove... very useful..." She was silent for a moment, thinking. "Walls and floors are easily done, the company that my old place used has reasonable prices for what I'm looking for." She stretched again as she thought.

"Natalie Fike- that's the chick who you've done business with- that's my ace. She wouldn't need help unless she was going outside of... either way, she's breaking the same stipulation that I'm trying to adhere to. You don't open a place without permission. You don't work with anyone without her permission. Your business is her business, essentially. And if she says "No", you wait. That's... a cardinal rule that she's breaking. My mentor's going to be out for blood once she finds out." She looked to Nico with a dark chuckle. "You two might actually get along, won't be surprised if the old bitch gives me the green-light to find the place Natalie obviously snuck around for- and burn it down. Or.... fingers might get broken in ways that won't heal well enough to deal with hair styling anymore." Sasha grinned darkly at him. "As I said, you have nothing to fear from her. She's normally just a bitchy old lady who used to be styling the hair of celebrities and high-profile people. She's got a hell of a lot of skill and connections..." She shrugged slightly.

"You sign a lot of agreements when you begin to work with her, so honestly a lot of my decisions have to go through her. I'm fine with it, given she managed to make it so that media coverage on me wasn't... completely unbearable. But... I wouldn't be surprised if she demanded I make some kind of entrance back into the more well known circles of my work. Not... looking forward to that. At all. Don't jive with most of the stuck up prisses. I don't care about the money, just want to make people happy and get a bit of cash out of it..." This was a lot of talking, even for her, and she took a moment to rest her voice.

After his response, she nodded slightly. "Yes, that's right. Plus, I'd be able to provide you with a hell of a lot of clean cash once the place is running. Trust me. I'm essentially making a money-pit for the rich looking for luxury in this damned city. If my mentor gives me the go-ahead, I'm good to go and I'm certain that this is going to work well once I'm able to get every portion of it up and running." She grinned easily, taking a breath. At his response, she smiled more, a blush rising to her cheeks. The little names and sweet things he said were still new to her. At his words and actions, she beamed and then as he grew close to her, her thoughts grew hazy, and she licked her lips without thinking on it as he spoke.

It took her a moment to even think of anything to say, and then there was action. Her arms wrapped around him and pulled him closer, nuzzling her face into his neck. It was a quick movement and she was still thinking on what to say. Something cute probably would be appropriate, but this was Sasha.... so what came next was:

"I think the rest of planning and such can be saved for tomorrow- I... have a better idea of what I want for the rest of today." She started as she pulled back a little to look up at him, her eyes focused on him, and yet, her thoughts were still a haze from the closeness. "My leg's fine now... all injuries are healed enough...." She spoke, her voice like silk as she cupped his cheek, running a thumb over it for a second before grinning, "You promised to teach me how to defend myself." She finished, looking up at him lovingly.

• Love
Reactions: Fluffy
The sleek black car, no doubt shining from an expensive wash, pulled into the driveway of a place he didn't expect to find himself at. This actually seemed like a location he'd use to do an illegal exchange of some sort. What was this, a warehouse? That somebody lived in? Growing up as quite the rich boy, too, he didn't feel the desire to step foot in that place. The only reasoning he could make with himself was that this couldn't possibly be worse than Sasha's moldy apartment...

Nicoli got the key removed and pocketed. "Do you need to check my hair before we go in?" His voice was absent of any enthusiasm, or emotion at all for that matter. The fact he was even here should be good enough for her. He was also aware that she would be nervous of the old woman's criticism. If any adjustments needed to be made, he'd willingly let her do so.

The high and mighty king of grumps rubbed a large hand over his face and sighed. He should have had a cup of coffee before he came here. "Also, now's the time to tell me anything else I should know about whatshername." That wasn't a joke, he actually forgot what the woman's name was. He couldn't please everybody, he supposed.

[NICO GETS GREEN TEXT NOW JUST 'CAUSE I FEEL LIKE IT]

• Love

Sasha was quiet for the trip, aside from giving directions, somewhat lost in thought. Then they were there and she was obviously a little excited, a small grin on her face.

Ok, so he wasn't exactly thrilled to be there, and sure, the place didn't exactly look like something he'd want to go towards, but...

"Yeah... probably should check my work..." She spoke softly, looking him over quietly, then grinned. "I deem it fine..." She paused before trying to think of how to explain how this might go down. "Her name is Jenn Green... She's... not the nicest woman, but this place usually has about four or five kids that she takes in to teach. Usually we're not from the best... situations. She prefers not to cater to the rich. Usually." Turning her head back towards the warehouse of a building, she rubbed the back of her neck. "It looks rougher on the outside than it does on the inside, I promise. You'd be surprised, really. The only thing unwelcoming about it is the old woman." She defended softly, then guided him towards the imposing building, stopping at the door for a moment, rummaging through her keys before singling one out and using it to open the door.

From that point, three things happened at once.

First off, there was a massive black dog bounding towards them. Secondly, there was a rather unfriendly older woman staring at them from the balcony of the foyer that they had entered into, her right hand clasped on a wooden cane. Third- and most importantly, right after the bounding mass of black fur was a woman about Sasha's age that was making a beeline for them. The short hairstylist seemed less than thrilled about the last part and instead went about beckoning the dog to her as she knelt down-

And was immediately bowled over by the mass of dog that apparently went by the name of "Cuddles".

"The hell are you doing here?" The question was demanded by the lanky woman who seemed waif-ish enough to be a model. Sasha did her best to get up while the dog jumped around her, pawing at her, still looking no less thrilled.

"Cuddles... Cuddles, sit." She started, and the dog took a moment to register that it had been given a command, then sat down, wagging its tail as she stood up and then looked to Nico, then to the woman before taking a breath. "Nico, Natalie- Natalie, Nico." She introduced before she brushed herself off. "I'm here for more than a few reasons. Nico- Natalie's the exception I told you about from in the car." She explained quietly as she continued to brush black dog hairs off of herself as the other woman seemed to frown.

"You really shouldn't be here." Natalie cemented the fact down while Sasha glared up at her.

"Leave bitching to the dogs, ladies. Angel, what brings you back this way?... Besides showing off a wig." The older woman from the upper floor finally spoke, her voice was sharp and Sasha cringed immediately. "Natalie, go make some tea, it's been a while since Angel's visited. And she brought a friend. Without calling ahead." Sasha continued to react sheepishly before cracking a sheepish smile. "Cuddles." The woman beckoned, and the dog was back off to join it's master.

"Ma'am, you expressly said she wasn't allowed back until she "shaped up"." Natalie snapped. Sasha was silent to that comment, waiting.

"That was because she had taken up with hooligans. And trashed her previous workplace. And publicly disgraced herself. Stole nearly everyone's coin. And-"

"You made your point." Sasha finally spoke up, her voice barely loud enough, but hard and guarded.

"Did I, now? I wasn't aware. Natalie- tea." The older woman reminded, and Natalie finally seemed to react, off into the deeper parts of the building, which, now that all the action was dying down, it might have been noticed that it actually had a warm inviting atmosphere.

"Are you going to make an old lady come down to greet you?" The older woman seemed agitated and Sasha quirked a brow and shrugged before: "You're not that feeble or old. Your legs work." Sasha snapped suddenly, and then shook her head. "I didn't expect Natalie to be here." She spoke the sentence like it was an excuse and the woman considered that for a moment.

"Come up here, the kids are still learning down there, and I'd prefer them not to be interrupted." Jenn finally relented, making a "Come hither" motion. Sasha led the way up a wooden staircase and by the time they had gotten to the second floor, the woman was there, and all but pushed Sasha out of the way to look up at Nico before frowning and smacking Sasha on the arm.

"This is your work. You're still putting needless flair into your work, and your work is still shoddy. I'd still fail you." The woman started, and Sasha sighed, rubbing at her arm as the woman continued, "He's here for more than one reason, I trust."

"Yes."

"Going to explain?" The woman stated dryly and Sasha and her seemed to share a glare for a moment before Jenn shook her head. "What happened to your hair?"

"Dye and electricity." Sasha started and was rewarded with another smack to her arm before the older woman turned to Nico. "And he's here for three reasons. One was what you just finished, you've seen my work. the other reasons... Ma'am, I really would like your blessing on-"

"You best not be asking what I think you're asking. Not yet. You are too young and I have never known you to be so impulsive on-"

"W...No... NO- I'm not asking for that- this was a recent development and I'm not even sure if I can even... Wait." Sasha seemed to take a moment then looked to Nico out of the corner of her eye before looking back to her mentor. "You noticed?"

"You avoid other people like the plague outside of working. It's obvious. Especially the part where you physically put yourself in between Natalie and your... friend. I wouldn't be surprised if you lacked the tact to realize that puppy-love shouldn't lead directly to marriage... then again, given your upbringing..." The woman explained, then set her jaw at an angle, looking displeased. "That's two strikes."

"Three." Sasha correctly quietly. "I fucked up my hair, I started a relationship without... your consent.... and I might have gotten rid of of my "hooligan problem"... in a way that would displease you." She remarked, softly.

"The important part, is that you are safe. You defended yourself?" The woman seemed to soften as Sasha took a moment to respond.

"I couldn't take it anymore." Sasha explained, her gaze hitting the floor.

"Alright. You did enough just getting yourself out of that. We'll go more into detail later. This man is trust-worthy?" The old woman glared back over at Nico and Sasha spoke up quickly.

"I trust him with my life."

"I don't like him- your father wouldn't like him." The woman snapped and Sasha huffed. "Your father did everything he could to keep you from getting your hands dirtied by this city's shit, and still, you roll around in it like it's home." She continued, then finally gestured to Nico directly. "What makes you think he's someone you should trust? Do you owe him? I will pay off debts to keep you out of trouble and away from people like... this."

"No... No, that's not it!" Sasha was quick to respond again, getting closer to Nicoli. "He's been a client of mine for some time, and a lot happened... He saved me. I'm not saying that as some sappy little child, these scars could have been much worse if he hadn't shown up. He saved me, really." Sasha ended the sentence by pulling the scarf from her neck, revealing the scars.

The older woman turned to face Sasha, took in the look of her neck and chest, then took a breath and looked back to Nico. "Then I don't like him because he could have prevented-"

"It was my fault... I tried to be brave, turned out to be stupid instead. Now- could we get off this subject and get to the point? I want to open-"

"Go help Natalie make tea... your wig is bothering me. You should have kept closer to your natural color- it's prettier."

Unlike before, Sasha didn't fight her this time, immediately leaving Nico in the company of the older woman. Not even a second glance or a word was given as she walked back down the stairs.

"She's happy for once, imagine that." The older woman seemed to remark before looking to Nico directly. "So, obviously my little protege has damned-near lost her head over you. This is exactly why I tell my students not to get involved with romance, it distracts them. And yet, in her case, you apparently are her savior- that doesn't grant you my respect but it does lead to my thanks for keeping me from having to identify her on a cold metal slab." She explained simply, then reached down to pet the beast at her side.

"She wants to start her own place. That's as plain as day. I'd tell her "no", to wait until more time had passed since her trial. But, if she has the financial option to do so.... You are certain she's not just after the money you might be able to offer?" The woman eyed Nicoli carefully, one could tell that wheels were turning in her head, judgement were being passed here and there.

• Love
The trio of a young woman, an old woman, and a dog had Nicoli grumbling to himself. Only ten seconds of this and he already wanted to bail. He kept to his promise to be good to Sasha, though. Hopefully she was all right with a stone wall of silence for support, because that's truly all he felt like he could offer. She could lean on him as long as necessary with full expectation he'd stay sturdy.

Nicoli went off in his own little world while Sasha handled introductions. The most attention he paid was giving the old woman, Jenn Green, a courteous wave of his hand. The student who didn't seem to think highly of Sasha wasn't given any mind, however. Looked to be a rude spoiled brat undeserving of his time, regardless of what anyone said.

About the time he tuned in was when the crone said something about 'two strikes.' Showing mild curiosity, he listened in to the rest of the conversation being had. Clearly, this Jenn had some motherly influence on his girlfriend. That was explained to him already, but also he was a stranger to parental figures, seeing that his were absent throughout a lot of his life.

Jenn's attempts to find reasons to despise him made him feel like laughing. This woman was committed to her role as an elderly grouch. That was something he found himself developing a small respect for.

However, he wasn't too pleased about being left alone in the room with Jenn. Nicoli felt himself starting to follow Sasha, but froze up when the elder's voice demanded his attention. A glare was cast at the kitchen before he turned to give the master hairstylist his focus. Nicoli maintained his formal appearance with his hands in his pockets, cold eyes piercing but body stance calm so it would be approachable.

Nicoli made a casual shrug at her inquiry. In a way, she wasn't wrong. He was letting Sasha have access to his funds so she could have what she wanted and needed to reach her goals. "Sasha is interested in self improvement and happiness more than anything, I believe. My money is part of her steps towards that." That was the best answer he could come up with, including a personal bit: "She's invested in our union as a couple, above all. I see this more as us working together, rather than me just giving her money to play with."

A commotion was suddenly coming from the kitchen and Jenn glanced towards it before looking to Nico apologetically before belting out, "NO FIGHTING IN THE KITCHEN, FINISH THE TEA." That done, she shrugged and regarded Nico's words as silence resumed in the kitchen. "I see... Angel was right to bring you- you are trouble." She muttered slightly before moving to a nearby wall filled with framed pictures, Countless different children, some old and some younger, she regarded them carefully before exhaling loudly. "She's been here for a long time- her father was a friend of mine. She moved in after highschool, but she might as well have lived here since she was aware of her... family situation." She spoke slowly, then gestured to a picture of herself when she was younger, a girl with hazel eyes and strawberry blonde hair in her lap. "She was nine. And a she-devil. Put laxitives in her mother's food after the woman was particularly mean towards her. Ran and hitchhiked til she got here so she'd be long gone by the time that kicked-in. That week was a hoot." She explained, chuckling, then looked to Nico coldly. "Her family is shit besides her father. I have no feelings towards them that are friendly, I would cheer if they all died in a house fire besides that man." She shrugged then turned back towards the pictures.

"She's been through a lot, made a shitton of bad choices, and she waits too long to move out of bad situations. I'm just worried she's just switched hands of the same regard." She explained then sat down in a nearby chair, gesturing to the couch across the way to Nico as she continued on. "That man... Mark?... I think it was "Mark"... Either way, I was thinking she'd never get away from him. Hell, he messed with her baby. That beat up old jeep is her pride and joy (I don't see why, besides the fact that it's from her father) and he sabotaged it. Brakes wouldn't work. I don't think I have to tell you much more than the fact that she was coming off of a highway when she found that out. The hospital was cozy, at least. I don't trust her judgment. She's a wonderful student and is one of my most talented- but she's utterly horrible at keeping the right company." She spoke, then looked back towards the pictures. "She went back to him, of course. So if he's not breathing anymore, I'd be pleased." She explained gently as she gripped the cane and tapped on the ground for a moment or two, like one would click a pen.

The dog, Cuddles, stood up and its hackles rose as it sniffed the air and its lips curled back, and Jenn looked to it tiredly before inhaling again for a moment before, "ANGEL, GET YOUR FLORESCENT WHITE ASS BACK UP HERE. BRING THAT FUCKING TEA OR I'LL RIP THAT FUCKING MASS OF SHIT OFF OF YOUR HEAD." She took a moment, coughing before looking back to Nico with a smile that didn't seem to sit easily on her features.

Sasha was back soon enough, carrying a tray with a pot of tea and three teacups, and sporting a bruised cheek.

"Seriously? In the kitchen I tell you never to fight in..." The woman started and Sasha rolled her eyes.

"I didn't throw any punches in return. Happy?" She snapped darkly and the woman gave her a look. "It's fine. I have her ass on a platter anyways." She continued as she set the tray down on the coffee table and the woman huffed.

"Why don't the two of you even try to get along?"

"Because she's the heiress to some multi-billion dollar company and she doesn't see how I earned the chance to end up in this place." Sasha answered quietly as she sat down on the couch, hissing slightly with the movement.

"How many times did she get you?" The woman started, looking concerned, Sasha was waving her off already.

"Cheek and she elbowed me in the side, as I said, it's fine."

"Bullshit. I'm going to-"

"She's going behind you back to finance herself. She started her own business, I'd bet my last dollar on it." Sasha spoke quickly, then looked down at the ground.

It was uncomfortably silent for a moment, then the woman sighed and went about pouring tea into the three cups before looking to Sasha.

"I don't find that joke funny."

"I wish it was a joke. I know she's one of your favorites, otherwise you would have tossed us both out on our asses a long time ago for all our fighting." Sasha explained as she grabbed her teacup and regarded it for a moment before taking a sip.

"Do you have proof?"

"She made the mistake of actually doing business with him." Sasha chuckled darkly as she gestured to Nico. "She has all that money from her daddy, and you. Why would she possibly do business with him? Because you can see where her money goes- her daddy's... hers... yours. You told her "No", recently, didn't you?" Sasha explained as she took a longer sip.

"I see." The woman started the words quietly, and Sasha waited a moment and then looked up.

"You haven't touched your t-"

"Fuck the tea."

Sasha quieted instantly as the woman tapped her cane again then huffed, tapping her leg, beckoning her dog. It sat near her chair as she rubbed it's head and scratched behind it's ears. Sasha, meanwhile was quietly and slowly moving closer to Nico.

"Sorry about your clothes." Sasha stated towards Nico, and the words seemed out of place before the older woman erupted with a rageful shriek, upturning the table, the teapot, tray and all other knick-knacks. Everything shattered or skidded away from the group. Cuddles was growling and Sasha frowned, putting her teacup down on the floor, grabbing up napkins she brought with and dabbed at anything that might have gotten on Nico and herself as the older lady stared at the floor, huffing. Luckily for all that not much tea had splashed onto anyone's clothes. Small miracles.

"You are a little she-devil. You're happy about this, aren't you?" The woman asked and Sasha paused for a moment.

"Yes and no. I know you love her, but I despise her. She wanted your skill but not the restrictions. She doesn't respect you. For all her prim and proper ways, she doesn't care for you like she should." Sasha spoke quietly as she flicked a piece of porcelain off of herself. "I'll get you a new teapot, maybe you should just use metal... this is the fourteenth teapot lost to anger, ma'am." She stated as an afterthought as the older woman sat there, her jaw at an angle and rage hot in her eyes.

"Ma'am?" Sasha asked after a time, and Jenn sighed.

"I'll call you later, I know one of the items on your arrest said "Arson", I will make use of that." She muttered and Sasha nodded as if it were the sensible thing. "Go ahead and go... Yes, you can open your own place-"

"Seriously?! You mean i-"

"ON ONE CONDITION. Excitable child, christ. Calm down. Go visit your family. Figure out whether or not that collective heap of shit is worth having your name shared with. Your father's been asking about you." The woman finally looked up, a smirk on her face, and this time it was Sasha who looked none-too-pleased.

"I'd... prefer not to."

"Well, that's the condition."

"Fine." Sasha finally relented, looking cross before she stood up.

"Today. Go today. Now." Jenn waved them off as a small crowd of teenagers peeked in from the stairs. "I'm fine, sweethearts, go back to work... Someone fetch Natalie for me.... You two get out of here. Come by at a later date if it goes poorly." Jenn was sweet to the children, but her words towards Sasha and Nico seemed much more true to how she was a few moments before, sharp but edged with concern.

Sasha led them back down and rubbed at her cheek while Natalie came at them from the kitchen.

"You're leaving in a hurry. What did you do to upset her?"

"I told her what she didn't want to hear. That's all. We're leaving." Sasha snapped and Natalie reached out towards her, anger coming off of her in waves.

That's all it took, Sasha pushed her back, watching as she hit the wall, then grabbed her up by handfuls of her shirt. "Touch me again, and I will break your fingers. We're not in the kitchen. I don't want to dirty her floors, though. I have dealt with your shit since I was twelve. I was fine with it because she loved you and I figured you were at least respectable. But you're not, in the slightest." Sasha snarled darkly before letting go and grabbing Nico by the arm and all but storming through the door, back to the car, Natalie yelling after them.

"I... Despise that woman.... Fuck it, I hope you're up for dealing with socializing a little bit more. I'm sorry that got out of hand. My mentor... I owe her for a lot... " She begin before looking to Nico, her gaze softening and she smiled slightly. "I might need just a few days alone with you after all of this."

Nicoli was more than happy to be dragged out of there. Once Sasha threw that other woman at the wall, the consideration of leaving popped into his mind. Thankfully, he wouldn't need to make up an excuse to leave. The strange household was given a flat "Goodbye," on his way out, so as to not seem too rude. He was sure he sounded like as much of an asshole as usual, though.

Sighing, he snatched his arm away and did some pacing along the pavement. He was frustrated by the existence of those people. Also, his suit was ruined. Now she wanted him to deal with more crazy family members? Curse that old crone for making such an evil request! Nicoli felt like he could just whip out his gun and shoot her!

Holding up a finger to Sasha, implying he'd like a moment before resuming their conversation, he used his other hand to pinch at the bridge of his nose. Air went in and out heavily, but steadily. He might request head massages if his hair wouldn't be compromised of its perfection.

"Yeah okay, fine. Come on." One arm dropped to the side while the other gestured to the car. Damn right they needed alone time after all of this. Life was getting downright crazy in just a matter of days. Was this why his father discouraged relationships? This definitely had to be one of the reasons, at least.

Though irritated, he wasn't absent of manners. The car door was opened up for Sasha to get in. Meanwhile, a glare and a smug look was cast towards the house in case Natalie might be watching. Sure enough, she was still barking insults from the porch. Nicoli liked to make people jealous, especially with Sasha in mind.

Sasha gave a sheepish smile to Nico as he responded to her. She didn't like this, either. Actually, this had gone about as well as she had expected, or a little better- sad as it seemed.

"Sorry about that." She apologized softly as she got into the car, feeling a little bad for forcing him through the gauntlet that was her personal life. She watched Natalie from inside the car and sighed at that- this was just down-right catty. This was exactly why she rarely came around anymore.

"I really... really am sorry, Nico." She repeated, sinking into the seat a little. "I... I deal with dye problems and clothing all the time, I'll work on fixing your suit." Guilt made her meek and quiet, and it wasn't about to get better.

They were going to have to interact with her family. This was going to get bad, and fast. Maybe she should just go alone, or have him just drop her off?

Too scared to think of those options for very long, she gulped and sat quietly for a moment- was Natalie still out there? She glanced for a second and, oh, look, Jenn was out on the porch with Na...

"O... Oh shit." Almost too quiet to be heard, she watched the crone use her cane to dissuade Natalie from her barking and bitching. And then she cringed as some of the strikes went for the hands, her mouth tightened to a line and her hands rubbed at each other nervously. Ok, they needed to get out of here and fast, That woman was enraged and it was very likely they'd be enjoying lighting up a salon tonight. Probably wouldn't take long for Jenn to get the answers she needed. "We need to go, now."

"Ok, ok, probably would be easiest to just head over to my brother's. I... I'm not going to lie, it's probably not going to be any better than what you just saw." She explained softly, her hand coming up to massage his head as she talked. She didn't know how else to take care of the obvious unpleasantness that she was putting him through.

"Well, at least you got through that, and it didn't give you any gray hair, you'll live.... if you're just as angry after meeting my family, I give you permission to go ahead and kill me- today is not ending up well, is it?" She joked slightly, a nervous chuckle coming shortly after that. Ok, she was stalling.

She gave the address and nearly swallowed her tongue when she gulped, then cracked her knuckles, a bad habit of hers when she was feeling uncertain. Damn Jenn for making this a requirement.

"I want crab legs to be served at my wake- and I was Natalie there and it's required to make her eat them- she's got a bad seafood allergy. With luck, she'd die." She continued on with her joke, looking to Nico before folding her hands in her lap, trying not to fidget. Ok, this was just a visit. And it was just her brother. That's all. Just for a bit.

"I want to be buried with the bones and bodies of your enemies. I'll keep an eye on them for you, I oew you that much, at the very least." She added, rubbing the back of her head for a moment... this was all going way too fast. She was getting used to the idea of not having to deal with family matters anymore. She was enjoying the fact that she wasn't going to have to introduce her new boyfriend to her family. Now she kinda had to.

How the hell was she even going to do this? She'd never really had to do this before. Just.... waltz in and throw Nico at them, then run. Just... run. That would work out, right?... Even in jest, the thought was not so bad, if only she wasn't so tiny. Like she could throw him. Maybe carry. Probably drag.

"My brother's a lawyer, a good one... which means he's almost as much of an asshole as you are." She quipped, then looked down at her legs, unable to hide the fact that she was extremely at odds with all of this. "My dad's a cop... was a cop, I told you that... my... mom's... an accountant for some firm." She listed off with some reluctance. "They're not bad people." She defended weakly. They hadn't murdered anyone. No drug problems. Nary a ticket or arrest in sight. Aside from her own record.

"Maybe you should just wreck the car. Tell the papers I died and I'll go into hiding." She was fidgeting in her seat again as she spoke. "No... no... your car is nice, can't ask that of you." She countered herself and sighed, leaning back in her seat. "I haven't been this on edge since I quit smoking." She whimpered sullenly.

If Nico was looking for hope that this exchange was going to go better than what they just went through, Sasha was not giving it. She wasn't going to lie. She honestly looked like a inmate on death row. Not exactly hope-inspiring.

"H...Hey... Question... What was your mom like?" She asked suddenly. It was obvious he liked his mother. She wanted to learn more about him, anyways. And plus, it was a way to pass time and not think about where they were heading. Was it really a good idea to talk about dead parents right now? Was she being insensitive? "Was she a good cook like you?" She added, looking to him with slight curiosity.

• Love
Nicoli was more focused on getting out of the driveway than the commotion at the porch. Glimpses of it were caught in the mirrors as he routinely checked them, however. There was no visible response whatsoever to the sight. Abuse of any kind did have a tendency to stir his emotions, but you wouldn't be able to tell. Plus he didn't know that girl's story. For all he knew, she might deserve it. He sure as hell wanted to beat her too for being so aggressive and rude. His own father used to literally beat the lessons of manners into him.

Those memories were beginning to surface, coming to an abrupt end when he channeled partway into Sasha's nervous attempts to make jokes. Most likely to comfort herself and try to uplift his mood. The man sighed so quietly it was close to silent. Hands gripped the wheel and foot got the gas started so he could drive and sit through what all she had to say. Nicoli was more patient for Sasha than anybody else.

The girl seemed like she might be going into a nervous breakdown. Her suggesting that he crash the car was what led him to decide to pull over. Upon the mention of his mother, he gave her a glance that showed his piercing death stare softening into one of empathy. Sasha was merely curious and talking was therapeutic for her, he learned. However, they weren't going to discuss any of this while the car was moving. "Just sit tight for a moment, okay? We're going to stop somewhere for a few minutes." His low voice carried a generous amount of comfort that he reserved for her only, eyes going back to the road.

They stopped at a parking lot that was empty except for two other cars, leaving enough space for him to stop the car under a tree where they could be alone for the most part. The lot belonged to an ice cream parlor. Not his intentional stop to make, but should that be something that would cheer her up, it was conveniently there.

Clearing his throat and undoing his seat belt, both arms folded across his chest while his back went straight in its usual formal position. A moment was spent reviewing the past several minutes. Her brother was a lawyer and her dad was a cop? "Are you sure this is a good idea, love?" Just the thought of him being in the same room of those two. Based on how stressed she was, this family was nuts, so feuding was more than likely between him and them. The accountant might be the only member of the family he'd get along with. An arm wiggled free of the fold so he could rub at the side of his neck. He sighed and continued, "Nah, never mind. Forget I asked that." Who was he kidding? He couldn't let her think she was going to do this alone. If he ended up breaking someone's neck in the end, he'd deal with the consequences.

"Look, you have to go through with this. It's the right thing to do if you want to get your business going." Nicoli would to his best to be encouraging. Slightly he turned to face her, hands now intertwining on his lap. "I know how it can be to have a bad history with your family. Nobody wants to see me and my uncle Demetrio in the same room, for example." Mischief twinkled in his eye as the memories flowed again. Stories he could tell to his Angel during another time. "I have someone who takes care of my suits for me, so we don't need to worry about this," he gestured to the mess, shrugging at the misfortune now that his frustration about it was gone. "Just focus on getting this done. Then we can have anything you want for dinner, and tomorrow morning we'll pack our bags and go somewhere." His tone implied that he already had a plan. There were perks to being in love with someone who had the ability to go anywhere they wanted in the world. In style, no less.

Then Nicoli sighed and got to the subject of his mother again. The way he slightly dipped his head so he could stare at his lap suggested a need for privacy from eye sight. He hoped she would understand how difficult it was for him to maintain that while exposing a vulnerability he kept shielded for so many years. Momentarily, he showed a somber smile, then it faded as he cleared his throat, hand going up to make gestures that meant nothing in particular. "Mia madre--Lelia was her name--was a talented cook. Both of my parents were, actually." His wrist rotated as he stated the fact. "She was a very kind woman. Saw the good in everyone, even my asshole of a father. Just as you do for me, amore mio." He turned his head to give her an appreciative glance, arm reaching out to tickle under her chin with his fingers. A chuckle rumbled in his throat as his digits withdrew. The main difference was that unlike his father, he wasn't going to become corrupt. Nicoli would rather do the corrupting. "I knew her for only a short time because cancer took her when I was so young. Still, all I remember are good things. She was supportive, patient, strong, aggressively passionate like the rest of the family. She didn't finish going to school but she was still quite smart." A finger gestured to his head and then he fixed his posture again, this time inviting eye contact.

"Lelia lived a full life in the short years she was around. I used to tell her she deserved better, but she'd always say back: 'No, Nicoli. It doesn't get better than this, because you're here with me.' I didn't understand what she meant until I was well into my twenties. I couldn't see why she'd see me being there as a good thing when I was powerless to stop what was killing her." He shrugged and scoffed to himself quietly, shaking his head. It was somewhat sad he didn't know his mother meant she was just happy he existed, that he was there to be in her life. He was so young and dealing with a father who was losing himself to grief, making it nearly impossible to know how it felt to be loved. "Anyway. You'd of liked her.

Now, how are you feeling?" Quickly he wanted to get back to her rather than discuss his mother any further. She could make her comments but otherwise he preferred to move on.

• Love

Sasha looked up at Nicoli shyly as he pulled over the car, chewing on her lower lip slightly. Then as he parked and questioned her- her mind went into a tailspin. Her heart thumped in her chest wildly and she tried to keep calm- his retraction got her to calm back down and she spent a few moments trying to breathe and keep calm.

His encouraging words, had her raising a brow at him, at the very least, he understood that she had no wiggle room on this, and for a moment, she listened to him talk about his family and then his suit. That made her feel better. Then he was talking about dinner and then... a trip? She was surprised, but he had succeeded in raising her spirits. "I like your cooking." She stated softly- now that she knew the skills of the person she was with, there was no doubt she'd be asking for food as much as she could manage. The idea of a trip, however, on further thought had her confused. "I... have never left the country. No passport or anything to work with." She admitted quietly.

And then he was talking about his mother- and even though he was obviously feeling a little vulnerable on this subject, it was touching. She wasn't surprised that both his parents cooked, and the way he talked about her was something that honestly fascinated her. And then the small gestures and movements had a grin splitting across her face, a small rumble of a giggle issued from her lips for a moment. "That's because you're my asshole." She clarified, and the way she said it, it seemed like it was a sweet term of endearment. With that comment, she was quiet as he talked, trying to respect this weak point that he was showing her.

And what a weak point it was- she understood it, to an extent. It was obvious that his parents were on opposite ends of the spectrum for him. And as he continued, letting her in on the memories of his mother- she was honestly touched. One of her hands started to move towards him, to what? Reassure him? Did he need it? It almost seemed silly to want to reassure him, he always seemed... well... Nico....ish. The hand returned to her lap, and she kept it there, trying to respect his space.

"I bet I would have liked her, too." His last comment struck her, and her tongue was caught in her throat again. Confusion clouded her eye, unsure of how to process what she was feeling. "I guess we're opposites, my mother hates me and wishes I didn't exist- her words. My dad... I don't know what he thinks of me anymore. He always supported me.... Haven't... talked to him since..." She trailed off, looking to her lap. "I have Jenn, and I mean, she was kinda like a mom to me but..." Jealousy. That's what it was. Even though his time was short with his mother- she envied that bond.

"I guess it's kinda hard to grow up normal when you grew up as the evidence of an affair. I don't blame her for it. Still... I wanted her approval so badly. Finally got into that salon and still, she treated me like an unwelcome stranger in her home. Meanwhile my brother, her son..." Her chest hurt suddenly, and she paused, her mouth opening to continue, but nothing came out, so she closed her mouth. Her head turned to the window and she looked out of the car, chewing on her lip for a moment before finally, "I knew she was capable of acting like a "mother"... just not with me. Hell, she made sure I knew I was unwanted from day one. My dad did everything he could to try and get us to all be a family... it never worked, of course. All he was able to do was make sure that I was never hurt physically." She looked tired from the memories and took a moment to collect herself, also her phrasing left a very distinct impression that protection from physical abuse clearly wasn't enough.

"I know my dad's a retired cop, but he'd probably be the only one you'd be able to stand. As I said, he was a crooked cop. Hell, I got to meet lots of interesting people when he worked- I think criminals and gangs took more of a liking to me than my own family. It wasn't hard to figure out that he wasn't doing his job right- but he always explained that it was ok. It was for me... And he was never a bad police man... just... did dealings on the side to let some guys escape here and there, and a few favors... he was... respected, from what I could tell..." She trailed off and looked over at Nico, shrugging slightly. "As I said from the start after you rescued me. I am not innocent. Never was. Never had a chance. Kinda is hard to be a clean upright citizen when your mother calls you a "slut" when you're too young to even understand what that means, you just... know it's not a good term." Sasha stopped there, trying to collect herself, then glanced to Nico.

"I just want to get this over with and then burn down Natalie's place." She stated softly, trying to smile, but it didn't reach her eyes. She was still scared and sad, but she was managing. She repeated the address for Nico, softly. She had loved her family- but time with Nico and away from her normal life had been shook some realizations loose. She loved the idea of family. She wanted the archetypal normal family. It wasn't possible. Even if she hadn't bankrupted most of it, it was very likely that there would still be a very noticeable rift. She loved her family- but it wasn't a mutual feeling for the most part.

"Also after all this is done, I have a present for you." She remarked quietly, and then smiled a little more. Being all warm and close with Nico made her happy, and that's what was important.

'Few are ever truly innocent. So very very few.' The private thought had a somber ring to it. Perhaps it had to do with his uprising, but Nicoli never knew anyone in his life with a clean background. Not even Arturo, who could easily be assumed as the most decent person he'd ever gotten to know. That didn't make Sasha's situation any better, though. It was too bad to have to hear about how meaningless her life was to the people who were supposed to nurture her. Children with those sorts of stories almost always get themselves into trouble, himself included. Nicoli could admit, he sought out trouble in his youth with the intention of getting killed. Going out in suicide was a weak choice to make. However, it continually never happened, slowly building his ego into the oversized beauty it was today.

"They all sound so charming," he spoke up in usual deadpan fashion, sarcastic with the enthusiastic hand gesture he made. That same hand then reached out to do the exact same thing to her chin that it had done moments before, though this time his fingers closed around the lower part of her jaw. "You did what you could. What you thought you had to do. Even though all the choices were shitty, they led you up to me, did they not?" A roguish smile graced his features while he gave her jaw a loving squeeze, fingers smoothing along her skin as they withdrew. Who'd of thought that this woman he rarely paid any attention to had him so enthralled now?

"And you, my dear, are no slut. Oh mio dio, no one wants to know what will happen to their teeth if they call you a slut." Malice shined briefly in his eyes. He would even dare someone to shame her in some way that would make her feel bad. To him, too, it was an insult. Nicoli would not go through so much trouble for a slut. "Be cautious of the wishes you make around me, love. You know very well I can burn down a house without consequences. I would do so with her inside it, too." He was half meaning to be playful, but it was hard to tell with how stoic he always was. Also, he really would love the go-ahead to commit such an act.

"I wonder what it could be," Nicoli spoke aloud, on the subject of a gift for him while he worked on backing out of the parking spot to continue to the given address.

Last edited:
  • Love

Sasha gave a weak smile in response to his comment on her family. She was still a little sullen about the situation she was forced into, but when Nicoli made his thoughts known on how her choices had led her here, she had think on that for a bit. It made it a little easier to manage with that thought in mind, as did his loving gesture.

Her smile grew as he continued to talk, and she finally wasn't so apprehensive of what they needed to do.

As for his comment on Natalie's place: "We might just burn down her business and house tonight just for kicks after this. I... apologize in advance, this could get bad." She murmured quietly- not so much in a downtrodden mood anymore, but there was a obvious lack of excitement for this trip.

She was amused by his response to her comment on a present and grinned darkly. "I had sent to Brit's place- didn't think you'd be the type to snoop, love, but I wanted to be careful." She spoke and then was quiet for the rest of the drive. There was no nervous energy, but her jaw was clenched and her lower lip was constantly between her teeth.

With luck, they would come out of this without any fights or drama- which, was not going to happen, they'd need a hell of a lot of luck for that.

Finally they had pulled up to a large two-story house. A well-manicured lawn and landscaping had Sasha rolling her eyes, it was cozier-looking than the place then they had come from, for certain. Definately looked cleaner than her old apartment. Pretentious son of a bitch was definitely not hurting financially- so her mistakes hadn't dragged everyone down a pit of debt. In the driveway, there was already two expensive cars. Now, the second car had her confused. Her brother would not have wasted money on getting two cars for himself, and her mother or father was not known for being showy about money at all.

She led the way up to the house, still trying to figure out how to come at this from. Honesty probably was the best way to go. She'd just say she was here because Jenn told her to come, nothing more than that. Just a talk, then she'd go.

Within a few seconds of ringing the doorbell, however, the door was opened a crack, and a small face peered up at them.

"Hey... hi?" Sasha was confused, and it showed. The kid was maybe four years old, a small girl with dark hair. It only took a millisecond after she spoke, for a man to come to the door, whispering chastisement to the child as he pulled her away gently. Sasha still seemed baffled and the man straightened up.

As she had stated, he was a lawyer, and an asshole. He had blonde hair and a damned good spray-on tan. Not much resemblance was shared between the two. He was only slightly less dressed-up than Nico, and looked twice as pretentious and made-up. It was obvious that he was older than Sasha by a few years. His features showed slight more age, as well as the same confused expression.

"Angie? I hadn't expected you to ever drop-in like this." He stated, looking back into the house before glancing back at the two, finally noticing Nicoli. "Oh, you brought a friend... interesting." He added simply, then frowned, seeming to regard his options before opening the door fully, gesturing for them to come inside. "I expect this to be quick." He said as he closed the door behind them. The child was peering at them from the stairs and Sasha's brother made a gesture for her to go away, which was promptly followed.

"I thought you hated the idea of kids, Mike." She started, the comment partially under her breath, and already it seemed like her hackles were up. He looked back to her and a twitch seemed to go across his features. The two seemed like they were only moments away from a fight- which was interrupted by a dark-haired woman.

"Honey, who was at the do-...?" The woman stopped when she saw Sasha. Sasha did the same, all at once the dial on the hostility of the situation was raised to ten. "Oh, hi Angel, long time, no see? How was prison? Is that salon doing alright? What about the whole getting "kidnapped" business? You worried your brother." The woman's tone seemed kind but too familiar.

Sasha was quiet, uncharacteristically quiet, while rage bloomed in her eyes.

"Hi, I'm Hailey Greyson." She stated towards Nico, holding out a hand for a hand-shake when Sasha slapped it away. The woman seemed undeterred and continued on.. "Ok, so one of my old topics for the papers brought a hotter topic with her, this is really going to be hard to resist not working on. I am familiar with you- you're Nicoli Zangari, correct? I keep an eye on rich bachelors and their businesses- easy stories." She commented warmly and smiled. Sasha was still silent, though her hands shook at her sides in white-knuckled fists.

"Angie, I really wish you had called ahead, I would have been able to meet with you somewhere more suitable." Her brother was speaking again and her head turned towards him, a heavy scowl on her features. "Ok, cat's got your tongue. Out with it. You're obviously angry." He stated, and everything he seemed to say had a formal and uncaring feel to it.

Sasha, meanwhile had turned towards the stairs, where the child from before had snuck down and was trying to watch the exchange quietly. "Hey, sweetheart, mind if you give us a moment? I really need to talk to your parents about something important. Not for little ears, ok?" She spoke with genuine warmth. The girl complied but her had was peaking over the banister, which Sasha sighed at. "I can't talk freely if there is a kid." She tried to explain and the woman, Hailey frowned slightly.

"Anything that needs to be said to us is something that can be said in front of our child."

Her brother however, seemed to get it, ushering the woman to go up and see that the girl was away from the conversation.

"That's why you never wanted to see me. You're married and have a kid- with the journalist who gave every raw detail about me to prosecution. I see. Cute kid." Her words were cold. "Mike- This is Nicoli. Nic, this is Mikael. My asshole of a brother who seems to have married a bitch that cozied up to me before my trial- then handed every little bit of bad information I gave, to the court, but had it all slanted so I looked... even worse than I should have." Her voice was harsh and quiet, her hazel eyes focused on her brother with ill-intent.

"I can explain, I don't have to, but I'll do it anyways since it seems to be important to you. Hailey and I had a lot in common, and really, mother and father approve. Which is more than people can say about anything you've done." He shot back and Sasha trembled, it seemed like it was about to get worse. "Yes, we got married quickly after your trial ended, mother said it might anger you to find out what was going on, so I never mentioned it. Dad loves her." He was taking up an almost professional business-like tone and Sasha was silent.

"Mother's on vacation right now. Dad's... here. I'd prefer if we don't bother-"

"I want to see him." Sasha cut him off quickly, and he looked at her the way one might look at someone wearing socks and flip-flops at the same time.

"Fine." He muttered, going off to another room while Sasha stood there, trying her best to calm down. There was talking in the other room, and she could hear a conversation happening upstairs between the mother and child.

"I didn't expect this. I'm sorry. Had I known... I wouldn't have asked... We need to get out of here. I just want a word with my father, and then we are gone." Sasha was still trembling with anger and kept her head down, looking at the ground. She wanted to get out of here, she wanted some kind of gesture from Nico, but she had the distinct impression that anything they did might be remembered too well by that woman. Was there a way to confer to her significant other that everyone in this house besides her father had their numbers up? She would be happy to see this place up in flames. No guilt in feeling that way, either. Probably not the best idea, though.

"This wasn't what I expected." She added slightly, as an after thought.

'Oh fuck me.' The sight of her brother was sore on his eyes. Could you even call this person a man? Nicoli judged a lot on appearances and was completely shameless about it. Which was why he had no problem with giving the gentleman a blunt stare, icy gaze scanning him from head to toe. It was plainly obvious he was being judgmental. Comments were kept private, of course. Much as he'd like to straight up tell the asshole that he was an insult to nature.

This Haily Grayson person wasn't a complete stranger to him. Reporters big and small were in his files so he could blackmail them if ever necessary. That is, if they didn't need to flat out be eliminated. Being in the company of this woman had him considering that option. To this ridiculous statement: "you're Nicoli Zangari, correct? I keep an eye on rich bachelors and their businesses- easy stories," all he could think of to do was this: "Yeah, blahblah, ah-hahaha," Nicoli mocked her, making a blabber-mouth impression with one of his hands. He had no respect whatsoever for this lady. Right after, both arms went to fold over his chest while his glare moved to the wall across from him.

All was still for a bit because Sasha didn't want the child present. Nicoli himself was indifferent about it. The expectations were he'd have an offspring to take his place, but he wasn't in favor of having kids in the first place, let alone a wife. Oh how times were changing, though.

Nicoli turned to face Sasha when she spoke up to get his attention. For a moment there, he was starting to zone out. This family really was brain damaging. Being here only a few minutes was already making him feel crazy.

"Do whatever you gotta do," he insisted, uncrossing his arms so he could wrap one of his hands around her own. This might not have been an ideal situation, but he would remain stolid and supportive. "Be strong. Don't let them break you. Because then I'll have to break them. But maybe you want that, huh?" The words were kept hushed, to avoid the ears of eavesdroppers.

Sasha's hand tightened on Nico's, shaking slightly from the effort to calm herself.

"You might be right. Depends on my new sister-in-law. If she does one more thing...." Sasha trailed off as her brother came back, leading an older man to the group as well.

Sasha brightened up a little at the sight of him, and the man cracked a smile.

"Hey there, cherub," He started, a southern drawl to his speech, and Sasha seemed to be at a loss for words for a moment.

"You're not angry?" She asked quietly.

"Never was. I thought you might be angry with me, though due to..." He trailed for a moment, then looked to Nico, then frowned, but continued on. "Your mother would be pleased to see y-"

"Don't lie." Sasha cut him off quickly, something in her voice wavered for a second. "She'd never be happy to see me." She added, then exhaled slowly. She could do this.

"Ok, you've spoken, now can you go?" Her brother interjected and Sasha took a deep breath, rubbing at the back of her neck for a second.

"No. Sorry, I want more than a millisecond with my father." She shot back, and it seemed like her effort to stay calm was dissipating.

"He's not your-"

"Yes. I know you want to believe that I have no relation to you at all, but I am his child." Sasha spat angrily.

"Fine, I'll give you that. But you're still a bastard child of an affair." He volleyed back and Sasha glowered silently.

"The two of you, stop it."

"CPS should have just taken you away at least one of the times they came." Mike continued.

"I actually agree with that." Sasha snarled through clenched teeth.

"You all need to stop fighting- Sandra can hear you." Hailey spoke as she came down the stairs. Sasha's eyes followed her for a moment.

"You don't mean that." The man seemed to be having trouble with the topic, and Sasha took a moment.

"Yes, I do. I spent so much time trying to get along with everyone here," She started, her grip tightening on Nico's hand for a moment again. "I tried to understand. But small things add up. I... Really honestly care about you- Dad. But... You were never allowed to care for me, were you? Just giving me a home fucked you over."

"Language!" Hailey snapped, and that was the tipping point.

"FUCK YOU," She seethed, then as she was about to continue, her own accent would start coming back. "I never did anythin' to deserve your shit. Or my brother's. Or that bitch who was supposed to be some kinda mom to me." She snarled loudly. "I worked hard to succeed, and all she focused on was my failures- I bet she threw a party when I went to prison!"

"A small one." Mike answered dryly.

"I was was bein' sarcastic- but good to know I was right anyways." Sasha snapped. "Dad- your friend, the state trooper, went to my graduation and most school functions- what he couldn't go to for you, Jenn did. People thought THEY were my parents. And of course, all the times I ran away... Why the hell didn't you just..." She trailed off, seemingly too frustrated to continue.

"I'm just pissed because you're here." Mike muttered and Sasha's eyes lit up with rage.

"Let's get something clear for good. I never asked to be born. I never wanted to be the only link he had left to his fucking ex-wife. I never asked for her to bleed out 'n die after she gave birth to me. But to hate me because of something I can't control... What the hell is wrong with you- I mean, I know I'm fucked up. But what the FUCK is your problem?" She was breathing heavily.

"Wait... You two are holding hands. Are you-"

"Shut. Up." Sasha raged at the reporter. "I swear if you know what's good for you- you will destroy any information you have left on him, and on me."

"Sweetheart. You need to calm down. I've never seen you so-"

"Enraged? Angry? Furious? Completely fucking fed up?" Sasha snapped, and suddenly her gaze softened as the older man seemed a little downtrodden. "So...Sorry. I just can't... I can't keep pretending this little game of "house" is working. I never fit in. I wanted to. I tried." She explained slower, obviously making an effort to calm down.

"Wait, your real mom is dead?" Hailey asked.

"Mikael. Get your wife out of the room. This is not a matter that a journalist-"

"Reporter." Hailey corrected cheerfully.

"She stays." Sasha's brother snapped.

"Fine. We go." Sasha spat with as much venom as she could muster into those three words.

"Wait, I really would love to know-"

"You know enough." Sasha started, anger now absent from her voice, anger wasn't working, she figured that out. "Fuck it- I understand it, if someone gave me that much money to slant a story- I would too." Sasha admitted, and her father stopped, considering her words.

"What... do you mean?"

"Mother dearest hired her. Why do you think I'm not that surprised that they're married? Of course she approves of her- that bitch was practically hired to take me down." She started, then as her eyes wandered around the place, they centered in on one frame. A framed news-clipping.

"You have got to be... shitting me. YOU FRAMED THE STORY? YOU FUCKING FRAMED THE NEWSPAPER THAT CRIMINALIZED ME?!" That was the last straw, Sasha tore away from Nico and stormed over to the wall, Hailey watching, horrified as the small hairstylist grabbed the frame with some difficulty given her height, and then wound up...

And threw the picture frame at the woman. It had knocked the reporter down and gashed her forehead.

That wasn't the end, either. Sasha continued on to push her brother out of the way and kick the woman while she was down. She was looking like she was fixing to keep going, too, when her brother tackled her from the side, knocking her to the floor.

All at once the brother was set on tearing into Sasha and it seemed like the diminutive woman was more than happy to oblige. The father was doing his best to keep things under control, pulling Sasha off of Mikael after she had manged to punch him in the cheek and jaw and knee him in a rather sensitive area. She had earned herself a split lower lip for her trouble- didn't seem to care, either.

"Leave. Just... go." The man muttered softly and Sasha mustered up a small smile.

"Fine. He hits like a bitch anyways." She remarked as she led Nicoli out, holding onto his hand like it was the only thing she had left, with her the back of her other hand she rubbed at the blood from her lip. It had already stained her shirt. She didn't even look close to caring about that- she was just worried about the blood getting anywhere near Nico's car.

"I want her dead." She snarled darkly as she led the way back to the car. "I don't care how, I will do anything to see her name on a tombstone, I don't care if my half-brother goes down with her. I would happily do any depraved act to earn that reward. I'd do it myself- but I don't know how to cover it up."

Much like the rest, Nicoli wasn't impressed with her father's first impression. With a formal business expert like him, the starting few minutes of meeting someone for the first time said a lot about them. He had to admit, he felt disrespected. None so much as offered a handshake and a name in a small effort to get to know him, or at least be polite. Instead they got right on attacking a member of their family, something they were not worthy of doing.

However, he kept his cool, doing his best to keep his eyes off of the sickening events that were transpiring. Every time he heard that reporter woman talk, he felt like cringing. The pompous way her brother talked made him want to ring his neck. Nothing irked him more than the twang in her father's voice, though. Probably because of the person the voice belonged to. He loathed everyone in this room for mistreating this girl, but the supposed father should be the most ashamed of all for failing to do good by his young. Biology didn't matter, the father figure was not a real man if they didn't do what the title any justice.

Sasha's outrage towards the other woman in the room was what made him turn around, hands still in his pockets. He was watching the event without breaking the neutral expression he wore. This wasn't the first time he watched her go savage mode on someone. Also, it wasn't his place to interfere. He'd only do that if she were getting severely hurt in return. That put her at an unfair advantage, but whoever said Nicoli played fair?

He didn't exit right away, rolling his shoulders back as he took in the ending results of this stupid visit the old crone suggested to happen. Then Nicoli shook his head, the ice in his stare looking colder, which clearly was possible. Without saying it, he was warning them that there would be eyes on them from this point on. Any ill will shown towards him or Sasha would be violently responded to with no warning whatsoever.

Wordlessly he left, catching up with his beloved at a pace that said he was in no hurry to get away. Much as he hated it, he wasn't the sort to rush just out of desperate need. Not unless it was a life or death situation.

Once he made it to Sasha, an arm came out to circle around her, bringing them to a stop at their car with him turning her to face him. A kerchief was removed from one of the useful compartments of his suit, applied gently to the wound on her lower lip. "I would end her simply out of love for you, darling. Of course, I will admit that I'd enjoy every second of it." He chuckled darkly at the end, the look on his face suggesting he was already imagining how he'd put an end to that miserable wench.

Sasha was smiling as he helped with her lip. His answer had done nothing but please her- and there was not way to perfectly capture just how much his words had meant to her. There really wasn't a need to explain it, though, he knew enough that she was sure he understood.

Still, as she managed to look one last time at her brother's house, something just continued to gnaw at her. "Jenn was right, I should have honestly left these people behind me a long time ago." She explained quietly. "I just didn't want to admit it... didn't want to really think on it... You just saw it- I fit right in, right?" She spoke and the sad tone in her voice was quickly dropped as she moved on. "Either way, I'd love to watch you kill her. That would please me so much."

Sasha was quick to move closer to Nico, standing up on her tiptoes before she kissed his cheek, the sweet gesture followed by: "I'd think the sight of you covered in her blood would be rather handsome in it's own regard."- murmured against his neck before nipping at his ear.

In her life, she had never been so honestly heartbroken by a situation. Truly her only real option had been to turn it into fuel for her anger and dissent. There was a reason why one might compare her to the archetypal "berserker"- her breakneck speed at deciding how fucking done she was with a situation and acting on it was something she had usually tried to control- but already twice in one day, she had been unable to reign it in. She'd be concerned but she couldn't be bothered to care.

Not right now. Not when her blood was still fire running through her body. All she knew was to try and think on something else to get her mind off of the rage and hurt pooling in her belly. That reminded her on the fact that there was a present to be given.

She waited until they were back in the comfort of his car to dig into her purse, quietly withdrawing a small velvet drawstring pouch. In her excitement, she nearly threw the damned thing at Nico, then managed to quietly hand it over after a few calm moments.

Within the bag, a skull pendant rested.

"I saw it and I thought of you. Is that weird?.... I guess that's weird. 'Gee, here's a skull carved out of stone- you know what this reminds me of? My living boyfriend. Totally.' Sheesh... er... I just thought it would um.... something you'd like... I mean... it's ok if you don't like it." She was off on a roll, making fun of herself and then trying to make the situation easy for him if the present wasn't something to his liking. They hadn't been together that long- and she was well aware that she needed to know more about him.

Least she knew he was beyond covered on clothes.

"Thanks... um... for coming with... on all of this... At least I got the go ahead on opening my place." She offered up and then chewed on her lip for a bit. "Is it bad that I don't care what happens to the kid... or my old man? I just... I guess I'm too pissed off at their bullshit to care anymore... Is that bad?" She questioned uneasily, looking to Nicoli for answers. Finally, the phrase that let him know that she was still in good health and in good condition still: "I'm hungry."

• Love
Nicoli was welcoming of Sasha's affection, finding it to be an easy remedy for his frustrations. She got a single chuckle out of him with the blood comment, pleasant shivers moving throughout him from the ear nibble. "We'll photograph me splattered with crimson so you'll always have the image close to you," he offered while setting an index finger beneath her chin, punctuating the morbid comment with a smirk.

Once he was in the driver seat, he sighed and leaned back, settling a palm over his eyes. He would need a nice long bath after this and an early bedtime. Not necessarily to sleep, but to hide in his dark room with no regard for the outside world until morning. He supposed he was introverted in that way. Able to socialize just fine, but needed ample recovery time afterwards. Today was far more than he was used to dealing with. People like her family would have been easily faced with his back, or popped in the head with his gun. Nicoli was one of the sorts to solve problems by shooting them.

Sasha was given a curious look, then he received the aforementioned gift. An obsidian colored skull was withdrawn from a velvet pouch she handed him. As she went on to explain how the item came into her possession, he held it by the chain so he could study the craftsmanship. This was definitely different from the presents he usually received of fancy watches, cuff links, ties, expensive bottles of alcohol... None were quite as thoughtful as this, though. With the exception of Arturo, nobody put that much effort into getting him things like this.

When he was about to say something, she spoke again. No doubt, there were feelings of all sorts making her need to speak her mind. Now was hardly the time for it, but fortunately she kept it short, and then ended with an 'I'm hungry' that had his throat rumbling with deep voiced laughter. "That is not bad, my Angel," he assured her, looking to the little skull that sat in the palm of his hand. Warmth melted the ice in his gaze, something only she was capable of doing. "You get fed up enough and one day decide they don't matter any longer. The poison in your life must be removed so you can be happy." This was a fact even he knew. Until he found love and acceptance in Sasha, he didn't really know what happiness was, but he knew the steps required to get there. That's why his family seldom heard from him, they just weren't worth the headache. "They had one more chance to make it right and fucked it up. Their loss, no?" Briefly he glanced to the girl, then went to getting the pendant around his neck where it would rightfully belong.

"And about...this," he gestured to the item now hanging over his chest. Best change the subject to something nicer, he thought, plus he wanted her to know that this meant more than words were capable of saying. But he'd try. "It's beautiful and I hope for it to be buried or burned with me at my death ceremony." 'Funeral' and 'cremation' weren't words he liked. "The fact you compare me to a lovely looking skull instead of a puppy, clown, bunny--whatever couples call each other to be 'cute'... Well, I appreciate that. Speaks loudly of how much you know me already." He scratched the back of his head in a sheepish way, entertaining the thought that she saw him as a skull collecting warrior or a reaper, something far more symbolic and mighty. It also reminded him of the woman herself, his darling Angel of Death. Or something to that effect.

Then he got the car started so they could get on their way home. "We'll go home and eat. How about I make an assortment of foods that we can share in my bed while we watch television and talk?" That's right, he was inviting her to talk. She might need to and he wanted to be the one listening.

• Love

Sasha smiled up at Nico as he responded, a flush going over her cheeks as he spoke of a picture- briefly she quirked a brow at him. That was something she'd approve of greatly.

His response to her other words- his laughter- had her beaming. "Damn, I had always wondered how you sounded when you laughed- I mean, there were times I saw you come close when I got into squabbles at work with meaningless customers.... But... I had no idea I would ever get the chance to actually hear you...." She spoke softly, slowly. His reassuring words worked and she felt better about her lack of care for her kin.

He actually liked the pendant. Well, damn- she got it right.

"You wouldn't be a 'puppy'... you'd be an alpha wolf, dear- Ripping out the throats of anyone who comes close to thinking that they compare to you." She started, her term of endearment sounding more like a rude sneer at first- then she continued. "You are no clown, and you are... more imposing and dangerous than a bunny." She shrugged slightly. "It's your birthright and seems like you're damned perfectly cut-out for it, right?... Besides, I'd much rather curse at you in a sweet tone than to call you some stupid pet name. Makes me uncomfortable... and un-genuine." She admitted, rubbing the back of her neck. "Your tactics seem cutthroat but you are... diplomatic- more so than me at least. I... admire that... I admire all your traits, not just what others would see as "good"."

And then he was talking about food and... conversing. Well, hell, this was a new development.

"I... I think I'd like to eat and then just cuddle up to you. I... have talked more than I wanted to- I'd much rather give your ears a rest... Honestly I think I might need some tea or something- think I might be loosing my voice." She ended on, punctuating the end of her sentence by leaning over the center console between them to rest her head on his shoulder, nuzzling it for a second before settling down with a sigh. She was wiped out and tired beyond belief but at least at the end of the day she had him- and soon, her own business.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.