Name | Alice Heart

Nickname | Ali

Age | 16

Birthday | December 21st

Height | 5'6

Hair length & color | Very Long, Brown

Eye color | Blue

Gender | Female

Power(s) | Empathic: Alice can sense others emotions if she focuses on them, as well as influence their feeling by direct skin on skin contact. In order to prevent this she usually wears gloves and long sleeve shirts.
Shared Dreams: Alice's dreams can infect the sleep of others. While sleeping she sometimes causes those around her to experience the same feelings she does. During a pleasant dream this is not an issue, however Alice often finds herself in strange and bizarre dreamscapes that leave her, and other around her, with a strong sense of anxiety and dread.

Power limit| Alice has very little control over her power. Given the nature of it, she believes there is no real way to control it. That is why she tries her best to be positive, and mitigate her dreams. To prevent too much contact, she usually wears long sleeved clothes and gloves. However, there doesn't necessarily have to be any reason to always wear them. If one of the other children is hurt, Alice can alleviate their pain. She restricts herself because she feels that when she uses her powers, it's not the person's emotions, but her own, and she doesn't want to force her own will upon the others lives.

As for her dreaming ability, the power, itself does not allow for much control. Instead she often times requires the use of techniques that would render her dreamless. But Alice, deep down, is a dreamer, even in spite of her nightmares. She often times tries to find places far away from the others to dream. She has been practicing lucid dreaming as well. Both as a way to counteract her powers, and as a way to deal with her night terrors.

『 MY LIFE STORY 』

Biography / /
After a giving birth to a new baby, new mothers often find themselves suffering the imbalance of hormones in the brain, as well as the stress of motherhood. Though most of the time, this is expresses itself through a disorder referred to as Postpartum Depression, it sometimes can be far more intense. This is referred to as Postpartum Psychosis. Many imagined that this was what Ali's mother was suffering from. Her husband was worried, as she was growing hysterical, crying out of fear, However, at first it wasn't until she held her newborn child. She was so happy to see her child, and yet as soon as the crying child was placed in her arms, she too was crying out of fear. Fear of something she was not experiencing. This problem only proceeded to grow. Every time her baby started crying, she went to tend to them, as any loving mother would. But as soon as she touched them, it would send her into a fit of anxiety and fear. A baby doesn't know if it's going to live or die, so it cries. An adult knows better though. She felt as if she was going to die for no reason at all. Eventually, these feelings that she felt whenever she touched her child began simply by hearing her cry. She couldn't help but dread the moment her child began crying. At first, no one believed her. Her husband called her hysterical! Eventually, as his wife was huddled in the corner in fear of touching her own child, he could not take much more, and stormed into her room to pick her up. Then he too felt it.

Rumors spread of the child who was cursed. Her parents weren't able to figure out what was going on, and eventually they were at the end of their rope. They wanted to love their child, but whenever she cried, they cowered in fear. When she was happy, there was no issue. In fact her parents loved her dearly, but it was simply too much. The child was deteriorating their own mental well being. If this kept up their sanity would keep fraying until they would no longer wish to keep living as they did. They received a blessing when a social worker came to visit them after they received a tip the child was not receiving the care it deserved. The social worker was skeptical at first of their claims. But after experiencing it first hand, they understood. The gears were set in motion, and soon, at the age of only 2 months, Alice was taken into the custody of the Orphanage.

They were quick to look into her abilities. It seemed simple. Touched based empathic abilities, caused others to feel what she was feeling. This was rather easily remedied. No skin contact when she was crying or upset, but when she was happy physical contact was allowed. She grew up as normal as any child in her situation could. That said, she had a hard time making friends. It had nothing to do with her power, but whenever she tried to talk with someone, it seemed as if she was a little detached. Her ability to make friends was just not as strong as the others. That isn't to say she didn't want to make friends. She tried her hardest, but often times would make others feel bad, or think of her as weird or mean without even knowing why. It took a lot of counselling for her to improve her people skills.

During this time however, there was a strange number of children claiming they were having nightmares. It took nearly a whole month of investigating before they discovered that Alice's power didn't end at touch. While she slept, she emenated some form of wave of psychic, as other began to feel what she felt during her own dreams. When this was discovered, Alice was taken from her normal sleeping quarters for a very long time until she was able to get these dreams under control. This took a long time, but eventually she was able to at least stop her dreams by entering a meditative state before sleeping. But her own curiosity called to her. Her dream was always the same. A reoccurring dream of her wandering around a bizarre dreamscape filled with floating geometric shapes across a dry salt desert. She wanted to explore, in spite of her feeling of unease and anxiety. There was more here.

As she grew up, she has tried to keep a smile on her face, using a plethora of coping methods to deal with her stress and anxiety. During this time, she developed two major interests: Psychology, and gardening. The gardening was because she needed a calming hobby. She found it meditative and soothing, especially since she could actually come in contact with the plants and not make them fee what she was feeling. The psychology came from wanting to help others who had developed attachment issues, like she did growing up. She still has a few problems with them, but she is far more socially adept than she used to be. When she isn't paying any attention, she can slip up and do something hurtful, but it's never done out of malice... Usually not done out of malice. She is a teenager after all.

⇢ Themes / /
Nap by the Lilac Bush
Collective Unconscious
When Comforted

『 PREFERENCES 』

Loves / /
→ ✓ ✓ - The Violin

→ ✓ ✓- Bean-bag Chairs

→ ✓ ✓- Potted Plants

⇢ Fears / /
→ ▣ - Isolation

→ ▣- Barren Landscapes

→ ▣- Accidentally Harming Others

⇢ Dislikes / /
→ ✗ - Pets (Mostly because she's sad she can't pet them)

→ ✗- Rumors

→ ✗- Seafood

『 THE PLAYER 』

⇢ Username:
Reanimator Spuds is a 22 year old education major focusing on English. I didn't really start writing until I started roleplaying. I used to hate it actually. But now I've been at it (on and off) for almost eight years now.

Last edited:
@Reanimator Spuds this is where you'd post it U w U (if you wanna transplant it)

also can i say I'm really liking this character. the relation of the powers, the backstory, its all so SOLID

tryinna whip out a character of my own but its taking DECADES

Well I mean this was an all day thing really. Since I woke up and went to class. I only finished about an hour ago

i'm interested in joining this and i have a character i've been working on, can i roll and then post that separate from my form?

Reactions: Taska Vilna
dd1g52y-df2f66b0-e6fb-4d4a-8e0c-e680ba486cb523.jpg

What Freedom Means

THE BASICS

Name | Eden Suzanne Eikenboom

Nickname | E., Suzy (rarely)

Age | 14

Birthday | September 1st 1979

Height | 162cm

Hair length & color | Long Hair, Red

Eye color | Green

Gender | Female

Power(s) | [REDACTED]

Power limit| Eden is totally unaware of the nature of her power. Her power is largely unconscious but really only presents when Eden specifically wants or expects to avoid a specific consequence; this results in almost exclusively immediate access, rather than effects on prolonged, chaotic, or more metaphysical problems. For the most part she's been described as "extraordinarily lucky", and at times, "an unchallenged rule-breaker". Most of the staff can't really pin down what exactly makes her different, but typically chalk it up to "Immunity".​

MY LIFE STORY

Biography / /
Eden was born on the 1st of September, 1979. Her parents were Hendrik and Susan Eikenboom, her father a Dutch immigrant working as a local trucker for Garfinckle's, her mother, a waitress.
This redheaded surprise spent the first 12 years of her life, largely, as any kid would; she grew up, had friends, went to school, had favorite foods and colors (mint chip ice cream and silver). Under the surface, however, brewed a fatal flaw that would prove to have roots in every problem she had faced her entire life. Eden was special, she had the uncanny ability to defy seemingly any rule, any consequence, any of infinite possible disastrous rulings from the lips of fate herself. She had, as an infant, just seemed extraordinarily healthy, not a second sneeze, not a cry of pain. Eden's existence was apparently blissful, in that she continued to be all but pleased with the state of her small world. Though as we know, worlds grow, and Eden's did just this, blossoming from a cradle, to a room, to a house, to a neighborhood and beyond in the span of a few relatively short years. As she grew, Eden started to experience the many trappings of childhood: friends, playgrounds, cooties, school, vacations, and above all, rules.
At first it wasn't a big deal, a change of heart, a forgiving attitude, her parents and teachers and the other adults in her life seemed content with passing off these coincidences as just the mellow tides of understanding; This was just the uncharacteristic resolution of conflict by the tender eyes of those who had once been kids themselves. This changed on Eden's 10th birthday. The big ten - oh, Eden was going to graduate elementary school soon and her new double digits warranted a big party, with friends. Things went well for the most part, a trip to the skating rink with Billy Joel on the speakers, two parents ushering too many kids through Giant on a Friday afternoon; All was normal. Later that night, Eden and the kids couldn't sleep, still fueled by the excitement of the day, and an energy the parents had long since lost. Sneaking out to the neighborhood park seemed like a clearly innocuous idea to the kids, and so into danger they went, although they ended up just fine. Eden's parents, watching over a 7 kid sleepover and finding that all of them had just disappeared, went into a frenzy; Her father calculating and refined, her mother a bit of a wreck. When the kids were eventually found, having the absolute time of their lives playing red rover in the minimal space between trees. Eden, being the one whose parents had just arrived, was the first to receive her scolding; or she would have been, if Mrs. Eikenboom hadn't stopped her tirade so bizarrely, a deep breath and some gentle renunciation of her anger, that Eden's dad, a typically reserved and calm man, had to stop and question it.
Eden's parents began a discussion that hadn't yet been had by the people in Eden's life: "Why won't we punish her?". They deliberated in such a vexing way, attempting both to scold their daughter, only to be overcome with a paradoxical change of heart. This revelation began to stress their family unit, and eventually the mind of other families in the area, whose talkative children had begun spreading the news of what had happened.
Eden was taken from her parents and her home two years later, when a concerned teacher reported an incident involving a fight at school to not just her parents, but the local UN watchdogs. The last several months have been countless to Eden, though an independent human, still a growing girl, torn from her life, alone in a strange place. She mostly keeps to her bed, reading nonfiction dinosaur books she'd stolen from the orphanage library. Days blend together and nights feel cold, and that's life.

PREFERENCES

Loves / /
→ ✓ ✓ - Cold Weather

→ ✓ ✓- Winning

→ ✓ ✓- Gift Giving

Fears / /
→ ▣ - Sudden, loud noises

→ ▣- Violence

→ ▣- Being watched

Dislikes / /
→ ✗ - Being alone

→ ✗- Summer

→ ✗- Authority figures

THE PLAYER

Username:
Taska Vilna is a 23yo poet currently pursuing a degree in linguistics.

Attachments

• Ss_2014-06-12_at_11.11.55_zpsf45tfqei.png
    Ss_2014-06-12_at_11.11.55_zpsf45tfqei.png
    655.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely interested in this^^

f3f42f6648589953829955c282510756.jpg

❀ Please don't go ❀

⇢ Name | Emily Hosokawa

⇢ Nickname | Ghost

⇢ Age | 15

⇢ Birthday | 27th August

⇢ Height | 5'4"

⇢ Hair length & color | Chin-length, black

⇢ Eye color | Dark brown

⇢ Gender | Female

⇢ Power(s) | Shadow walking, Face of Terror

⇢ Power limit| Emily isn't sure just how far she can go while walking in shadow; the problem is that she can't see where she's going, so it's a guess where she ends up. She's very precise if the destination is in view when she begins her walk, or if she knows the place intimately, but going into a location she can't see and hasn't been before is a crapshoot. She won't materialise in the middle of a wall, but she might (and has) ended up inside a locked broom closet or something of the sort.

Her Face of Terror power is also something of a mystery; it seems like it would mostly be useful for pranking and Halloween, but its true nature is much more subtle and disturbing. Emily can draw on the deepest fears and loathings of a target and project their physical manifestations on herself. This is a purely psychic/psychological thing, and not a physical transformation - it can only affect one person at a time, all others seeing nothing untoward. Emily herself can perceive the image but not manipulate it. Its effects are dependent on the target as well; it might potentially cause a cardiac arrest or a psychotic break in someone particularly vulnerable, or they might be able to shrug it off.

『 MY LIFE STORY 』

⇢ Biography / /
Emily is second-generation Japanese-American; her grandparents came over in the 1970s and she has family in Hawaii. Not that she'd know, really. The only kin she ever really got close to were ojisan and obaasan, who took her in after her parents were killed in a car crash. Terrible tragedy, so young, and the poor little thing....
Well, the poor little thing didn't stay little, and while things went fine for a few years Emily began to show signs of being... odd. She'd always been a quiet girl, prone to popping up unexpectedly without a word, but she started showing up in places she couldn't possibly have got into. And then one day obaasan saw a Kushisake-onna, a slit-mouthed woman. She screamed and fell into a faint, which turned into a short coma - it turned out she'd had a stroke. She survived and recovered, with some impairment, but it became clear that Emily needed help with her powers: help that her grandparents, as kindly and generous as they were, could not provide.
So she ended up in the care of the state. Perhaps they'd find a way for her to become a full and functioning member of society. Emily didn't think she needed help to do that, but she couldn't stay with her grandparents after what she'd done to obaasan, even if it'd been an accident. And she'd started wondering about just what had caused that crash as well....

⇢ Themes / /
Stay With Me - Miki Matsubara

『 PREFERENCES 』

⇢ Loves / /
→ 80s Japanese City Pop

→ Grandparents

⇢ Fears / /
→ ▣ - Being abandoned

→ ▣- Losing loved ones

→ ▣- Losing control of her powers

→ ▣- Hurting people with her powers

⇢ Dislikes / /
→ ✗ - Loud, cocky, brash people

→ ✗- Country music

→ ✗- Celebrity worship

→ ✗- Cilantro

『 THE PLAYER 』

⇢ Username:
Ariel is Asian but lives in Europe and is a professional grammar Nazi, for reals.

Last edited:
@Ariel

wunderful.

I will literally settle for this, but, would it be possible to find a slightly more realism-tuned image?

I'll help you look if you want, i just, I wanna keep a certain mutual headspace among the players yknow?

It can be difficult to immerse when some characters bear less of a connection to what we percieve in our minds to be "tangible" or "real"
its a lot easier to accomplish this in a medium such as RP when the reference images of the characters are (ideally by the same artist but) similar in style. :3

Reactions: Ariel
I will literally settle for this, but, would it be possible to find a slightly more realism-tuned image?

I'll help you look if you want, i just, I wanna keep a certain mutual headspace among the players yknow?

Changed the image to a photo, how does that work?

Yeah lol just busy I work at a Restaurant so weekend are hectic but will get my char up by Monday

• Ah Seen It
ah yeah i meant to get around to it but school as been kicking my ass ><
i'll try to get my character up asap!!

• Sympathy & Compassion
whoa i didn't mean for his backstory to turn out so long!! if i need to change anything, ik it's kinda dark, pls let me know

i'll break your pretty face

THE BASICS

⇢ Name: alfred delainey macklin
⇢ Nickname: alfie and alfie only
⇢ Age: eighteen
⇢ Birthday: november twelfth
⇢ Gender: cisgender boy (male)

⇢ Height: six feet one inch
⇢ Hair: medium length and unruly, white
⇢ Eye color: gray
⇢ Reference: link 01

⇢ Powers: alfie started out his life with nine lives. like a cat. call it feline physiology or self-resurrection, alfie can die and come back to life. at this present time, he has six lives left. this doesn't include health regeneration when he is near death and he'll only get health regeneration after coming back to life and only enough to get him out of critical danger. however, he has a sped-up healing factor that draws off his metabolism to heal him quicker than average and makes him more durable to illnesses and long-term injuries.
⇢ Power limit: with his self-resurrection, alfie has six "lives" left. when it comes to his health regeneration, it will only bring him out of the red zone and into a less critical period of injury and leave him feeling extremely weak and very hungry. he will still be injured, as it doesn't heal him fully. the time it takes for alfie to resurrect varies depending on how fast he died; the longer it takes for him to die, the longer it will take for him to resurrect.

MY LIFE STORY

⇢ Biography: trigger warning: infant death, death, attempted suicide, and other minor dark themes.
the first accident happened when alfie was only a couple months old. his drug addict of a mother dropped him, straight on his head while handling him high. she picked him up and thought nothing of the trauma it did to him due to the influence of the drugs. it was only once she had sobered up that she realized what had happened. she rushed alfie to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead. his mother didn't even cry. the hospital staff started to take care of alfie's body once his mother had left, disappointed but not surprised that she had managed to kill her child mere months after bringing him into the world.

the next day, alfie alerted the nurses to his reappearance with a chilling bout of screeches. chaos had ensued as doctors scrambled to figure out how a child decidedly dead the past day could come back to life. he was immediately taken to intensive care, where he was nursed back to health. the doctors expected his life expectancy to be extremely low, but alfie was operating like he had never been dropped in the first place. unsure what to do, the doctors had decided not to tell the obviously incompetent mother of alfie that her son had come back from the dead.

so alfie began circulating through the foster care system as an infant. he stayed as a baby with the same family until he reached toddler years, where it became aware that he was going to be quite the handful. he then hopped from house to house as a toddler, the scenery changing around him faster than he could hold on to one solid thing. he began elementary school in one home and by the time the fall term was over, he was transferring to another home. nothing felt real to alfie and he began to spiral as a young child.

being as troubled as he was, alfie began fights at school for little to no reason. they often took place on the playground, where he would rile up other aggressive and troubled kids to give a little recess entertainment. he would often return to his "home" with split lips, bloody noses, and black eyes. sometimes worse. he took out his bad home life on his peers at school with their seemingly perfect life, making him bitter and resentful of them.

by the time middle school rolled around, alfie was done. his grades were continuing to drop and he seemed to care about nothing except beating the shit out of other kids. some boys, some girls, he would even threaten the teachers. it was clear that he did things with reckless abandon and it was too much for his foster families. he moved so frequently that it was like he was staying the weekdays in a hotel before moving again, sometimes it only took a couple days before he was gone again. it was in a particularly bad part of town that alfie was shot in a chance drive-by on his way home from school. with no cellphone, he bled out on the side of the road and, you guessed it, died.

flash forward to the middle of the night, several short hours later. alfie gasps to life and climbs raggedly to his feet. the bullet that had killed him rests in the bloodied grass by the road but he pays it no mind. struggling the rest of the way back to his foster family's house, he sneaks into the dark, silent house and patches himself up. years of fighting his fellow students and dealing with injuries has taught him more than he should know how to heal himself.

the next day, alfie is transferred again. nobody mentions anything about the bloodied tracks into the house or the fact that alfie hadn't come back that night. he starts high school in a new town hours away. he keeps fighting and pushing back against his teachers, letting his grades slip even farther below average. he makes no friends and keeps to himself, angry and resentful toward anything that moved or breathed.

later that year, alfie tries to kill himself. he would have succeeded, had it not been for his powers. he takes a whole bottle of pills he had been saving up to buy from a dealer he knew at school. his foster family finds him after school, but it's too late. at least that's what they think. however, in yet another miracle, he returns to life. in an outburst years in the making, he screams about the drive-by in middle school and the discovery he had made about how he ended up in the foster system. shocked, his foster family sets up a meeting with the system and before too long alfie is transferred to the orphanage.

with a strict regimen to follow, alfie withdraws into himself. with two deaths and a failed suicide on his mind, alfie struggles with the fact that he might never die. he trains to fight professionally, taking several different forms to martial arts to cope with his unwanted powers. he has now been at the orphanage for three and a half years and retains his bitter, resentful attitude. he often keeps to himself because of the belief that he is useless and nobody will ever want him, his self-image and outlook on life pessimistic beyond measure.

⇢ Themes:
→ ♫ silence of siberia by lowercase noises
→ ♫ breezeblocks by alt-j
→ ♫ choke by i dont know how but they found me

PREFERENCES

⇢ Loves:
→ ✓ nighttime
→ ✓ sushi
→ ✓ cats

⇢ Fears:
→ ▣ quicksand
→ ▣ small spaces
→ ▣ large dogs

⇢ Dislikes:
→ ✗ milk
→ ✗ dirty spaces
→ ✗ school

THE PLAYER

⇢ Username: hello! my name is altai, i've been roleplaying since 2012 and i consider myself to be a semi-advanced to advanced roleplayer who lives in the united states. i am a first year in university with an undecided major, though i want to become a librarian

{=================================}
==================================
{=================================}

• Spicy

damb O w O u gotta bad boi.

@altai
But, and the more i deliberate on this the more it seems like a gray zone, this is really dark.

the text is dark, the themes are dark, and those are fine, but like.

his power.

does it fit? im not asking you to change anything, lemme reiterate that, i just think maybe how could you even insert that powerset into a roleplay like this?
in the end its totally up to you, you can make use of your characters how you see fit and im firm on that. Characterization and interaction are a wonderful gift.

last thing tho. this is the big one. The flow of Cause and Effect in Alfie's bio seems disjointed. He grows bitter and violent, but why?
He beats kids repetitively, but makes it as far as middle school without so much as being put into a delinquent school, or worse?

I love the direction you've gone with this. its dark, its gritty, and he's an OLD BOI.

but i feel like there ought to be more connection between his actions and the consequences of them. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
no problem! i'll rework his character a bit
my head has had a lot of my school in it so it makes sense for it to be a little disjunct