Order 1886. What do you think of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Grumpy's complete lack of surprise.

This one was like Watch Dogs for me; first trailer looked really interesting... right until they started pulling guns out and blatting away in a manner that might as well have had "THIS IS YET A-FUCKING-NOTHER SHOOTY-BANG-BANG GUN GAME" written across it in big, bold characters. All interest was then immediately lost.
To be fair it isn't another shooty bang bang gun game. It isn't really a game either though.

Really, I can't think of a single PS4 exclusive that hasn't been disappointing. At least xBone has Sunset Overdrive.
The Last of Us: Remastered.

I've gotta say, I disagree with people who think QTEs are alright for boss-fights or this or that. They're useless, completely useless, for every single task in which they're used. It is always better to not have them than to have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Last of Us: Remastered.

I've gotta say, I disagree with people who think QTEs are alright for boss-fights or this or that. They're useless, completely useless, for every single task in which they're used. It is always better to not have them than to have them.
It's fucking sad when the only non-disappointing PS4 game is just a port from the previous generation.

I am Grumpy's complete lack of surprise.
-Feels like this is a Fight Club reference, could be wrong though-

I don't own a PS4. I was tempted to buy a PS4 just for 1886 and Bloodborne, now I'm not so sure :/

It's fucking sad when the only non-disappointing PS4 game is just a port from the previous generation.

This is kinda why I still haven't really made the jump to the PS4/Xbone generation of consoles.

Honestly, I think I might just stick to my PC at this point. More and more studios are releasing stuff on this platform again, and it tends to be a lot less broken. Or at the very least if some studioUbisoft happens to release a broke-ass game or fiveUbisoft and then consistently fail to fix it with patchesUbisoft, the modding community will do their jobs for them.

Reactions: crankupthememes
Okay, I say PC gaming is on the up-and-up and whilst that is true, stuff like this does still happen as well:

^ PC gamers also get to enjoy receiving titles a year after they're released on consoles.

^ PC gamers also get to enjoy receiving titles a year after they're released on consoles.
Remember when they had to petition to get Dark Souls? Embarrassing.
I'm still mainly PC though.

Yes, because we don't get shit a year before consoles as well, or anything.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Reactions: crankupthememes
fuck ready at dawn.jpg
Is it wrong that I want this game to fail horribly just so RAD can fucking crumble? This is the angriest a game has ever made me.

Wanting a bunch of game developers to wind up unemployed seems like a dick move, yes.

Reactions: Dervish
Wanting a bunch of game developers to wind up unemployed seems like a dick move, yes.

Given how volatile the gaming market is, all it takes is for one underperforming game to bankrupt a studio. It's easy and tempting to pretend games make themselves to the extent we wish for companies to fail, but that ignores the dozens of people who won't be paying bills or feeding their families if that happens.

Reactions: Grumpy
In which case, congratulations on proving the point the devs were making.
I don't care. When someone rips off the fucking ending to Blade Runner, right down to "I've seen things", rehashes a boss fight for their climax, and still tries to play the victim because people are calling their game shit, it's hard to feel sorry for 'em.

So a company points out that the internet is a fucking cesspit of entitled keyboard warriors who blow everything way out of proportion... and your response is "I hope these assholes lose their jobs"?

Don't get me wrong: The Order looks pretty crap and I have no intention of buying it.

But fucking dial it back a notch or five. RAD employs over 100 people, and they don't deserve to lose their livelihoods over one game.

Reactions: Windsong
So a company points out that the internet is a fucking cesspit of entitled keyboard warriors who blow everything way out of proportion... and your response is "I hope these assholes lose their jobs"?

Don't get me wrong: The Order looks pretty crap and I have no intention of buying it.

But fucking dial it back a notch or five. RAD employs over 100 people, and they don't deserve to lose their livelihoods over one game.
Yeah, to be fair it was kinda a bit far to wish them all to be fired. The people behind the visuals did a very great job, and the playthrough didn't experience any bugs that I know of, so the people in charge of doing the coding and shit are competent. I just hope the writing team and Dana get replaced with someone competent, or maybe the writers can work for one of their non plot heavy games. Daxter was good.

Another way to look at it is nobody intends to ship a crappy game.

Be it time constraints, inexperienced talent, publisher demands, or any other number of variables, sometimes shit has to be cut or rushed to finish the game. Gearbox is a notorious example; Borderlands and Brothers in Arms are two stellar series by that developer and they ended up making Duke Nukem Forever, a universally panned game they tried their damnest to finish using assets that had been in development for ten years across 3 different engines and numerous studios. They tried to make the game that would have come out when it was meant to, but it didn't pan out. Does one flop justify vilifying an entire studio who has a great track record? What about a studio that hasn't quite hit their stride?

I mean, with The Order, it's clear some departments poured every bit of talent they had in it while others weren't quite up to snuff. Should the artists be punished for the level designers' lackluster showing? People aren't tempted to take creative risks or try their best if a fuck up could mean their job, which is why you see so many sequels and reboots.

Food for thought.

To be fair, it's not broken and full of bugs or glitches. the visual presentation is really stunning and the story is surprisingly good. If Ready at Dawn creates a sequel to it, and they improve the gameplay and add more content to it, we could get a stellar game.

With that said, I had the game for free, and I always tend to stay away from Hype fests(Trailers, gameplay stuff, etc).

I love the setting and the Steampunk/Alternate History Theme to it. But god damn the cutscenes and "Walk here for another scene to watch" Annoys the fuck out of me. Though I'm not gonna complain too much since it was free for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.