One for the road!

For the most part Michael expected a period of adjustment. Outside of Tessa Michael had not spent 24 continuous hours with Harrison and Claire. Harrison's social anxiety had improved over the years with them, but there was still times that it was an issue within the group. To his credit Harrison was aware of it and did what he could to deal with it, but Rome wasn't built in a day and Harrison had been this way for over 17 years.

Claire opted to take the couch, and then Michael stood up and started to say something. However Michael then remembered who he was dealing with, and one thing was for certain going one on one against Claire was not a good idea. Under any circumstance ever in life. She could be talked out of things when one used logic, but when she was doing something generous like this for Harrison Michael decided to just leave things alone. He walked over to where his luggage was in the bedroom with Harrison's luggage and carried it out and put it in the other bedroom. He looked at Tessa and said, "Hello roomie." For Michael this wasn't really an issue after all they had known each other all their lives, and spent that summer on a sofa bed.

Tessa made the announcement about the hot tub and Michael said, "That sounds good to me." He went into the other bedroom, changed into his swimsuit, and then went right into the hot-tub area. Michael started the hot tub and said, "Time to take it easy." He climbed into the hot tub and said with a smile, "Ahhhh now this is more like it"

Last edited:
Tessa laughed s little as he came out to get in the hot tub. "Just don't take up all of the bed and we'll be fine." She told him as she sat on a bench by the hot tub, streching her legs out as she flipped off her flip flops. Letting her skin soak up the warmth from the sun. Leaning back on her hands, she smiled over at Claire. "Breaking them all are we, Claire bear?" Tessa asked with a little smirk. Claire never really followed the rules and she knew it. Hell, this was the girl who taught her how to sneak out of the second story window and get back in unseen. In all honesty, Tessa might lead a pretty boring life with out her.

Reactions: MST3K 4ever
When Claire saw the hot tub, leaning out of the door, she smacked the wall with a smile, before running back inside. She walked into the living room and grabbed her dufflebag. She looked to Harrison and said. "Come on man. Last one in takes a shot." She held up a bottle of scotch.

She turned and walked into the bathroom with her bag and the bottle.

She shut the door behind her, and took a second leaning against the door. She dropped the bag, a heavy thump. She quickly walked to the mirror, and put her hand on the counter top, and the other on the bottle. Her smile diminished completely, and as she stared into her eyes she scowled in protest.

She popped the cap off the scotch and drank a large gulp. She reached into her pocket and pulled out another cigarette. She lit it quickly, then walked to get her swimwear on, which consisted of mens swimming shorts and a black top.

She exited and walked to the hot tub, held up the bottle and shook it. "Thought we'd start off simple."

"Breaking them are we Claire-Bear?" Tessa asked.

Claire turned to her with a smirk and an eyebrow raised. "Tess, I wouldn't let us leave without yelling at the top of our lungs well passed fucking eleven." She took another inhale from her cigarette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harrison watched as everyone walked to the hot tub. He picked up his clothing bag and placed it on the couch, searching for his swim suit. As he was searching Claire walked in and announced that he was clearly eligible for breaking his limited alcohol intake. Harrison had only drank a few times in his life, and then only light beers.

He smiled, yet still shocked. Claire got to the bathroom first, so Harrison instead took the bathroom in his bedroom. He noticed that Claire was still in the bathroom as he exited to the porch.

He got in and stretched his face as his pasty skin came into contact with the hot water.

Claire stepped onto the porch a little later, brandishing the scotch bottle, only now opened and a large portion missing. Harrison shrugged as she entered. "Looks like you drink that shot." He glanced at the bottle. "Or already have I guess."

Michael was enjoying the back and forth between Claire and Tessa. They played off of each other so well Michael a lot of times would just sit back and watch with a smile as they would get in and out of trouble with little effort from him. The bottle of Scotch that Claire held made Michael smile as he said, "Now I know you weren't planning on having all that by yourself now were you?" Sure Michael's dad was the Sheriff, but two things that needed to be noted. One Michael was not exactly a Saint he did his share of teenage disobedience. Secondly his parents knew he had done his share of partying as a teen, but the thing was he never got caught. Unlike his sister Catherine on her Senior Trip, and when she got caught she had to have her parents pay for her return trip home from San Diego. Robert didn't talk to her for 5 days, and he was considering having her put into lock-up until Graduation day. He would've too but Helen talked him out of that. Catherine's summer trip plans though got shot to hell, and she spent all summer cleaning and inventorying the records room at the station. Michael was so scared of his father he spent a LOT of time at Tessa's to avoid the tension at home. His father said when he was 14, "You're old enough to know right from wrong. You can do what you want, but if it's illegal and you get caught (he emphasized 'and you get caught') give your soul to God then and there. He will be the only one to save you from me!"

Michael said, "Tonight and tomorrow I say we play it by ear. If you all wanna stay here and get hammered and just do delivery the whole time that's fine with me." He looked around at the three friends he viewed as family and said, "As long as I get to be with you all I don't care. This trip for me isn't about what we see or do or don't do or any of that. It's about being with you all." He smiled and grabbed his cell phone and set it up in Selfie mode. Michael said, "Say hello to being on our own." Michael took the picture and moved it into to a private folder on his phone and said, "Count that as one that will never see Facebook."

Michael pointed to the bottle and said, "All that being said I think the drinking lamp has been lit." He smiled and said, "If I may have a sample of your lovely beverage Miss Claire I would be ever so grateful."

After Michaels speech, Claire raised the scotch bottle in her hand. "Amen to that. Love you guys." She took out her cigarette and took another swig of the bottle.

Claire smiled, she drank from the bottle, then stepped into the hot tub and passed it to Michael. "You may." She said. She took a deep breath as the water surrounded her body, still holding the cigarette.

Claire addressed Harrison. "The shot may as well have been drunk as soon as the challenge started." She shifted and took a drag.

Laughing lightly as she watched the other three in the hot tub. Tessa was still in the tank top and black khaki shorts she had wore on the ride there. "I guess I love you guys, but my Claire bear the most." She laughed lightly as she looked over at her three best friends.

"And don't worry about the social gatherings Harrison. I'll swooping and lead you away. Then you'll be the envy of every guy in the room. Just like in high school."
She told him with her ever present grin. In high school she was the girl guy wanted to date, and girls loved to hate, but wanted to be. Never was it due to her personality. Tessa had always been the type of girl that wouldn't hurt a fly. But mess with Harrison and it was another story. He was a sweetheart, sure maybe a little odd, but who isn't. Before everyone relized how close to Michael his was, Tessa would go up tell him to say calm and let's go to class. She knew he had a thing about people entering his bubble, later always apologizing for it. But over the years he must have grown use to her sweet affectionate ways.

"Not so crazy that my parents have to come bail us out Michael. We don't need another repeat of your sister" she reminded him as she soaked up the warm Rays from the sun. That summer had been one of sharing beds and sofas to sleep on. And many night of her parents laughing when the two got into fights. Tessa was an only child and even with a heart of gold, she could be a spoiled brat.

"I guess I love you guys, but my Claire bear the most." Harrison laughed and pretended to be offended.

"Well then maybe Michael's my favorite." Harrison made a demeaning scowl at Tessa and grabbed Michaels shoulder. He quickly realized what exactly he was doing and retracted away from the half naked man. "Sorry." He muttered with a chuckle, becoming more closed off.

"And don't worry about the social gatherings Harrison. I'll swooping and lead you away. Then you'll be the envy of every guy in the room. Just like in high school."

He looked to her. "The only reason I kept my sanity."

When Claire explained what had happened to their bet, Harrison looked up from his awkward neglect. "It's the only thing good about you, easy to win bets."

Michael took the bottle and said, "I thank you ever so kindly Miss Claire." He took a drink and placed it on a shelf behind the hot tub, but within reaching distance.

He felt Harrison's arm around him and then just looked at him as he took his arm away. Michael smiled and said, "Harrison you're venturing outside of your comfort zone." Michael looked to the side and said, "And a little bit too close to mine." He looked back at Harrison and said, "It's all good my friend. You're all right, and I do believe that is cause for celebration" Michael grabbed the bottle and said, "That calls for one more drink." Michael took another swig and placed it back on the shelf.

Michael nodded when Tessa mentioned about his sister getting in trouble. He said, "Ahh yes when I stayed with you all at the request of my mom." Michael looked skyward and said, "And on a clear night if you position your head just right you can still the melodic tones of my Father screaming, 'If I had my way about it you would've been picked up at the airport by two deputies and your ass would've been booked and thrown in lock up!' The man is a poet."

Michael shook his head when Harrison made the crack about the bet, and he was tempted to jump in but one thing in this group was if you could dish you had damn well better be able to take it. He let it go and said, "Okay all I know right now is that Claire and I are up two shots to none. I say we kill this bottle and order in dinner tonight, because we are driving a sports car with out of state tags on it. That's like begging the cops to pull us over."

He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Unless you all want to go out, and in that case Claire is driving." Michael looked at Harrison and said, "No offense but to teach you how to drive a stick is gonna take all of us sober." He rolled his eyes and said, "And maybe a phone call to Father Tom back home. Oh DeLorenzo with the shot!" Michael let out a laugh and said, "That's a drink." He grabbed the bottle took another shot and put it back as he just began to feel very relaxed. Michael said, "Okay I've had my share for the time being."

Tessa laughed lightly as she rolled her eyes a little at Michaels comment about her and Harrison not having a drink yet. "I have nothing to mix it with or a chaser out here. And yes I'm weak, girly, a princess. Or whatever else you want to tease me with. But most of all I'm to lazy to get up at the moment." And the last part was the truth. The last few months have been nothing but school, school activities, dance, dance, dance and whatever party she could fit in. So needless to say go go go. Was an understatement. And with no nagging stage mom around, lazy would be the word of the day.

Claire had her elbows on the rim of the hot tub, occasionally taking a breath from her cigarette. She rotated her head to face Tessa. "Love you too Tess." Claire blew a kiss over to her with a wink.

Clairere turned her gaze toward Harrison, raised her eyebrow and stared into his eyes. "And the only good thing about you is your test results."

When Michael spoke about the shot count, she reached her hand out to the bottle for Michael to pass it. She took another shot then handed it back. "These lightwieghts can't take it." Claire could barely feel the effects of the alcohol on her, as she had had more than enough in her lifetime to create a natural resistance, at the cost of an addiction.

"Okay I've had my share for the time being." Michael said. Claire looked at him for his impeccable timing in ruining the comment.

"Well speak for yourself." Claire grabbed the bottle again, taking another taste of its bitter nectar.

Harrison looked to Michael with pride. "Hey, I can learn pretty fast."

Claire intimidated him with her stare, as she had done many times before. "And the only good thing about you is your test results." She said. Harrison blinked several times in consideration.

"Are." Harrison quickly corrected. "Well everyone is good at something." He shifted uneasily. "Hey, speaking of which, when are you going to break out that guitar? It's been awhile since I heard you play." Harrison said, with an awkward smile. Harrison always liked Claire's playing, and who knows, maybe Michael could sing well with it.

""As for food, I vote eat in. Or at least somewhere we don't need to drive, I'm done driving for today."

Part of Michael wanted to egg on Tessa into join in the drinking festivities, but he knew her what schedule was usually like. Not to mention her mom, though Michael loved her as much as he loved his own, could be stage mom diva extraordinaire so letting her be and relax was good enough for him. He looked at her and said, "Sounds good to me. Time for all of us to just relax and be lazy. My friends the word of the day is lazy. Embrace it and live up to it, or down to it as the case may be." Not to mention while Tessa was more than capable of handling herself there was a part of Michael that always wanted to protect her as well.

Harrison correcting Claire's grammar and his comeback was yet another chapter in the verbal sparring between him and Claire. They would go back and forth like that, but it never got personal and underneath it all there was a sense of respect. Besides if nothing else if Harrison could go toe to toe with Claire he could go against anyone. When he made the comment about being a fast learner Michael replied, "That's true. I gotta give you credit on that my friend you are a smart guy." Michael nodded and said, "That's it before this summer is over before this road trip has come to a close you will know how to drive a standard. That is our mission for the summer. You will learn this basic driving skill Harrison or die trying." He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Okay maybe not die trying. I'm sure the transmission will drop long before then." Michael smiled at his friend and said, "It'll be all right man. It'll be all right. We got your back"

As a general rule Michael didn't do much in terms of ordering in. He was always in training, but in this case Michael decided to take his cue from Tessa and said, "Agreed in on ordering in. I say we order a couple of pizzas and just have at it."

When Claire took the bottle back Michael could tell she was disappointed that he wasn't joining in with her. He said, "Two things my dad told me about drinking which he knows I have done from time to time. One if you get caught while you're underage you know what will happen to you, and two never drink alone. That is just wrong you should have someone with you to help keep you in check, so with that in mind…" Michael took the bottle after Claire had her drink and said, "Far be it for me to disappoint my dad…" and took a long drink and said, "I'll keep up with you Claire." He smiled and nodded as he took another long drink and gave it back to her.

Listening to them all Tessa smiled a little as she looked over at Claire. A cocky little grin moving to her lips. "Don't worry, I know. Everybody does. I mean... Hello I am Tessa." She laughed in responce to Claire telling her she loved her too.

Listening to Michael talk about pizza made her tummy grumble and mouth water. It had been months from that last time she had any kind of "junk food" as her mom would call it. Besides the couple of fries she would steal off the others plates when they went out to eat at the local diner. Tessa usually running late due to some dance pratice. While she loved her mom, she could drive her just as crazy telling her to watch her diet, do this don't do that.
"Pizza sounds good to me" she said putting in her vote.

"Oh please don't feed his ego." Claire said sarcastically, as Michael was calling Harrison a smart guy. Claire had tried on multiple occasions to break Harrison out of his bubble, either forcefully or commandingly. Claire helped Harrison get his first girlfriend with her extrovert methods.

When Harrison corrected her, she rolled her eyes.

"I'll bring it out when we're getting settled. Maybe I'll sing you a lullaby with it." She teased.

"I'll keep up with you Claire." Michael said. Claire tipped the bottle in his direction. "There we go." Claire said, taking another sip from the bottle, then looked to Harrison expectantly. "You gonna leave us on our own here? Putting your lips on this bottle might be the closest thing to kissing a girl you'll ever get." She said. "And you'll be kissing Michael as well." She said with a much more persuasive and edging voice.

She took another sip and inhale from her cigarette, then held the bottle out to Harrison.

Harrison stared blankly at Claire blankly. "Yeah, I get. Make fun of the virgin." Harrison was unimpressed by her comment. "You're right, Michael is pretty feminine. But you already got me to that stage with Longina anyways so..." Harrison shrugged.

Harrison wasn't one to drink, but on such a special occasion he could take a sip to celebrate.

He grabbed the bottle, pausing briefly to think it over, then took a small sip. He scowled as the awful taste washed through his mouth. He quickly thrust the bottle in front of Michael, wiggling it to entice Michael to take it away.

He swallowed, then coughed. He looked to Claire "That stuff is evil." He stuck his tongue out. He peered over to Tessa and shook his head, silently warning her about the beverage. "Pizza sounds like a great idea to wash this down."

As he watched the verbal back and forth between Claire and Harrison Michael began to notice something that made him feel unsettled. With their back and forth there was usually a sense of play and friendship, but for some reason this time Claire's verbal shots seem to have something underneath it. A sense of anger that isn't usually there with her in this group. Maybe she was starting to mourn the fact that the group was breaking apart in her own way, or maybe she was just tired from being in the car. Michael decided to note all of this in the back of his mind.

Harrison was clearly having issues with the booze and Michael took the bottle from him and took another sizable gulp of it. He gave the bottle back to Claire and said to Harrison, "Okay my friend you are officially cut off. The last thing I need is for you to start puking in the hot tub. Sorry I don't wanna have reenactment of the time you were getting ready for your presentation for the state Science Fair and you took a long drink of Vodka from Claire to help relax." Michael shook his head and said, "I'm amazed we didn't see your shoes come up too. Luckily we were near a trash can backstage, and even luckier that everyone bought the story of your nerves acting up."

Michael looked at Claire and said, "I thought for sure you were gonna get caught that time." He smiled for a moment and said, "True confession. Dad wouldn't have arrested you though. He was still dealing with some guilt from his blow up at Catherine and mom reminding him that he too wasn't a Saint either at that age. Not to mention...." Michael paused and said, "I'll tell you later." Michael knew he needed to start watching his alcohol intake. When he had too much to drink it was like letting him chug truth serum.

He looked over at Tessa and said, "You know what you and I don't get Pizza that often, so I say you make the call on what to get on them. We're family here and we trust you." He smiled at Tessa and leaned back. Michael was hoping for a smile back from here. Not because he was trying to flirt with her, because if he was going to do that he wanted to be sober, but because Tessa had a smile that Michael had seen hundreds of times and it always made him feel like he was seeing beauty in it's purest sense.

"Harrison, my love... Have I told you that you are absolutely adorable yet today. And remember dear, the power of a chaser is a wonderful thing." She laughed lightly as she looked over at him. She love his weird ways and innocence. Tessa had a lot of respect for him still being a virgin. But then again she had a lot of respect for him in general. Hell anyone one that would let them invade their personal bubble, like she would his and deal with it Got a A+ in her book. Tessa was famous for getting a little to tipsy as a few parties. And we'll when the room started spinning, she usually ended up in his lap curled up asking him to make it stop. Why, because Harrison was a good guy and she knew whit him she had no worries.

Smiling over at Michael as he mentioned how they don't get pizza enough, she rolled her eyes a little.
"Don't worry I have an app for that." Picking up her phone from the bench, where it laid beside her. Tessa clicked on the food app that would let her order takeout from her phone. Clicking on the pizza place and going through today's specials. Before asking Claire. "Claire bear would you like anything special? I'm mean you seem a little more snarky with your comments then usual. And I don't want them coming in my direction."

Claire snorted as she laughed at Harrisons feeble ability to intake alcohol. "You're such a pussy." She said, taking another breath from the cigarette "Pizza does sound good though."

As michael told the story of the science fair, smiled fondly.

"I thought for sure you were gonna get caught that time." Michael said, and Claire raised an eyebrow. "I never get caught." She said, as she put out her now used up cigarette. She coughed lightly, trying to keep it quiet, but was forced to let out hoarsely several more hacks. She raised her hand to her mouth, bent over the water, her face a few inches away.

Claire leaned back against the edge of the hot tub again, as if nothing had happened, the others discussing pizza choices.

She stood up from the hot tub, and turned around to walk back inside, but was interrupted by Tessa. "Claire bear would you like anything special? I'm mean you seem a little more snarky with your comments then usual. And I don't want them coming in my direction." Claire looked at Tessa anger briefly on her face that the guys in hot tub couldn't see, but Tessa clearly could.

Claire quickly regained her Facade. "I'm fine having whatever you want." She said before quickly retreating inside.

She stepped passed the bathroom. She was kicked forward, her hand on her chest. Into the living room, began lightly coughing. To the front door, she started to jog to get out faster as she coughed more. She walked onto the front porch, and leaned over the rail spitting out the blood and phlegm that had arisen, profusely coughing.

She checked to make sure no one had followed her, hoping they couldn't hear her. When she saw that the house was empty, for now, she rotated and fell to the ground, her back against the railing.

"Fuck." She laughed.

Harrison was starting to actually become offended by Claire. He had heard it all before, but something about it now seemed like she was directing it more pissed than usual. And much more toward him. He decided to let it be, Claire had a hard life, and it was about to get a lot harder without them.

"Harrison, my love... Have I told you that you are absolutely adorable yet today. And remember dear, the power of a chaser is a wonderful thing." Harrison blushed.

As Michael told the story the blush became something that displayed his desire to forget that day ever happened.

He noticed Claire cough somewhat violently, and reached out his hand to help if she needed, but Claire would never ask for help. She was too strong and determined, as Harrison had discovered on many occasions, something he admired deeply about her.

She returned to her position, briefly before leaving, being asked about pizza along the way. Harrison looked to Michael. "Where is she going?" He asked about her abrupt exit.

Harrison was a bit of a social pessimist, always thinking the worst but always wanting to help. Even if Claire had been railing on him a little bit, he still cared for her. And he wasn't the best with knowing when people proffered to be alone.

"Um, one sec, I'm going to make sure she's okay." Harrison said as he exited the hot tub and walked into the back door, slowly and curiously checking the different rooms around the house.

As he entered the living room, he noticed the front door was open. He walked to the entrance, remaining on the inside of the building, and knocked on the open door. He leaned against the wall on the other side of Claire, keeping him from seeing her, if she didn't want to be seen.

"hey, Claire. Are...you okay?" He said through the wall.