OLDER THAN BONES || Southern Gothic Small-Town RP

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

fauxklimt

Edgebabby
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Look for groups
  2. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. Multiple posts per week
  5. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
magic realism, horror, thriller, slice-of-life, modern, low fantasy
Appalachia is older than bones...

Any place as ancient as life itself is bound to have secrets. Rosales Gap, Virginia is no exception. Founded in 1889 by Melia Corcoran, Rosales Gap has been subject to the scrutiny of many. For starters, it has almost exclusively been run by women since its genesis. Whispers of the word 'witch' circulate the valley, but the matriarchs of Rosales Gap have the same answer to that old rumor every time: Only people who fear a woman's power believe they'd have to make deals with the devil to be as successful as men.

Despite them denying claims for nearly two hundred years, Rosales Gap could never quite escape the image of a coven nestled deep in the heart of the mountains. Mountains that were home to monsters, shapeshifters, and various forms of witchcraft. A brief respite overcame Rosales Gap during the Tourist Boom. However, good things hardly ever last.

The Tourist Boom came to an abrupt end after a local tragedy made national headlines. It was 1982, at the height of the Satanic Panic. Six locals and six tourists found dead in the woods, their bodies covered in unidentifiable sigils. The town once again shrouded in a fog of fear, doubt, and hatred.

Eight years went by, but before Rosales Gap could become a complete ghost town, the Grimaldis showed up. They promised the local government that if they were to build a factory on the far East side of town, the jobs they would provide could help Rosales Gap recover their population, and the money made from the automotive parts industry could be used to help invest back into the town.

The Grimaldis kept their word. Rosales Gap flourished and transformed so rapidly before the eyes of the matriarchs, even they were convinced something otherworldly was going on. Now, Rosales Gap is a thriving town, though still quaint. Tourists still occasionally come through to try and test their theories of the supernatural, but none have yet to prove anything substantial.

For that reason, Rosales Gap is not fond of outsiders. Besides, there are more than enough secrets of the mundane variety swirling around that one does not need to be concerned with the presence of black magic, ghosts, or old Gods lurking in the woods.

829c120759ceaee4284887a8fa26c20f1aa1fbef.pnj

The roleplay will focus on the inner politics of a small Appalachian town reviving itself from decay. Although there won't be a central plot, some of the events will have center around the murders of '82, crime rings, and rumors of witchcraft or devil worship. My intention is to keep it more in line with magic realism, but of course, as time goes on, maybe there will be something deeper at play...

I took a lot of inspiration from Gillian Flynn, Flannery O'Connor, Toni Morrison, and Cormac McCarthy. Keep in mind there will be dark themes at play here, not just a spooky setting. There will be talk of murder, dark magic, and drugs.

It's already quite dense plot-wise, but to throw even more in the mix, all RPers will be playing members of one of 13 affluent families in Rosales Gap. They all each are run by a powerful matriach and have around a century's worth of history within the town. I'm currently working on the families, their ties to the local government/economy, and their secrets.

Before I got too deep in the lore, wanted to make sure people would be interested so I don't go off the deep end without some payoff haha. (Just kidding. I will be going off the deepend. If not a RP, I'm definitely writing a miniseries of novelas.)