Not Your World

• Thread starter DisreputableCharles
  • Start date
For the duration of the ride back Persephone had resumed leaning her elbow on the door and her head against her hand, angled to allow not-so-stealthy glances at the man next to her. Now she sat up and turned towards him directly.

"I work tomorrow and the day after that I'll have to stay with the younger kids while Avery is busy..." Her eyes danced around a bit as she thought through the upcoming week. "Maybe after that; I'll see what my hours are like. I'm sorry," she added, placing a hand on his, "that it can't be sooner." A sort of reassuring smile crossed her face.

Ixom was surprised at the hope that went into his request, as well as the irrational pang of longing that came with the news that she was quite the busy woman. "No need to apologize, milady," He said, gallantly. "We aren't in any sort of rush, I assure you." He had all the time in the world. Which was going to be a problem, if he had to entertain himself in the mortal world 'till this one particularly fascinating subject freed up once again.

He patted her hand gently, before getting out of the car once again to fetch her door. "You have my number. If you want me, just call and I'll be there." He winked. "It's been a true pleasure, miss Persephone Hampton. Good night, and sleep well. Tell your little ones that I promise not to spirit you away into the night without your utmost approval."

"Because of course my consent would be the largest area of concern in that scenario." Persephone shook her head a little as she stepped out of the car, standing up next to him. A hint of her smile had returned and she felt her spirits rise at the thought of seeing him again, despite the fact that it would take a while.

"I've enjoyed myself as well; I don't know how to thank you for this evening." Perhaps solely to tease him, she leaned in as if to kiss him again, then said quietly, "Au revoir, Ixom." Her face lit up in a smile as she backed up and turned on her heel with a cordial wave, then walked to the door of the boarding house.

Ixom smiled that amused smile of his, as Persephone stepped out of the car. When she leaned in, he did as well. Slightly. Expectantly. And then she was bidding him goodbye. He felt a rueful grin take his face, as his cheeks mantled faintly. "Until we meet again, Lady Persephone." He said. He didn't pull his eyes away from the woman, until she was gone from the doorway to the boarding house.

With a sigh, the finely dressed demon shut the door, and strode around his car. Alarm bells suddenly went off in his head, and that smile dropped dead from his face. Icy eyes scanned the street surrounding the boarding house, as he froze. Hand on the car door, he waited. Nothing happened, but Ixom knew an angel was close.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Rattasheim stared coldly down from the rooftop where he'd made his perch. He appeared as a short man, with hair a shade of brown so dark it might as well have been black. His nose looked as if it had been broken a time or two, and he had the thick knuckles of a brawler. Hazel eyes held no warmth, and his thin lips had been pressed to an even thinner line.

A bull-neck and heavy shoulders, paired with the thickness of his arms suggested a certain strength beneath the angel's pot-belly. He wore a button-down tee, and a pair of khaki slacks, over shoes that could have come from any department store in the country. On his belt, he wore a gun, and a badge.

Ixom'Hael, Prince of Demons was on the mortal plane, and he intended to find out why.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

It was some three days since the date, that a knock came at the door of the boarding-house one afternoon. To any casual observer, the man that had come to call looked like any other detective that had seen his share of work on cases too grim for a mind to take without becoming jaded.

[Sorry this took so long, things kept coming up. >.<

Given, it'd only been three days, but the carefree bliss Persephone had experienced during her date was all but forgotten by now. Work had been a nightmare; she'd had to pick up two shifts for coworkers who'd failed to show up, and the kids weren't a great deal of help in easing her workload at the house. She'd been trying to simultaneously accomplish the tasks of making herself lunch, finishing the laundry, and keeping Weyman and Marcus from attacking each other when a knock at the door elicited an exasperated groan.

"For the love of...okay guys, calm down; I'll settle this after I answer the door. Until then," she said, her usually gentle gaze turning menacing, "not. A. Sound." The children seemed to know better than to cross Persephone, and remained quiet as she made her way down the front hall, using her fingers to rake her auburn hair into some semblance of decency before opening the door.

"Yes?"

The portly detective tucked his thumbs behind his belt, and eyed the woman who opened the door up and down. It wasn't a lecherous stare, but neither was it a particularly friendly one. It was the stare of a man regarding some rather unpleasant task that must be done regardless of his distaste for it. From his pocket, the detective fetched a little notepad, and he broke his eyes away, as if to check something he'd written down.

"This is the address of a one Miss Persephone Hampton?" He asked, his voice gruff and low. He regarded the woman that had answered the door once again. Of course, he knew very well that this was her residence. And that she was -in fact- the woman after whom he was inquiring. He'd been watching the place since Ixom'Hael had dropped her off. Even so, her response would be worth taking note of.

"Are you Persephone Hampton?"

[Again, I'm SO sorry this took me so long. >.<]

It was often a subject of great confusion for Persephone how the changes in her life occurred. Not two weeks ago her day-to-day goings on had been painfully dull, then a bold and handsome stranger had turned up out of nowhere, and as soon as things seemed to regain a sense of normalcy, a detective showed up at her door. Strange, how unpredictable one's existence could be.

"Yes, that'd be me." Persephone raised an eyebrow and leaned slightly against the frame of the door, still holding onto the knob inside. Her demeanor was not standoffish or stubborn, but she was a bit at a loss as to why he'd be obligated to seek her out, of all people. "Can I help you?" Nothing ever happened to her.

Well, that wasn't entirely true. There had been one event of significance recently, but surely he couldn't have anything to do with this. That would be just my luck​, she thought with a bitter sort of humor.

Rattasheim glanced down at his note-pad boredly, and he flicked it closed. He tucked it into his pocket once more, and produced a little nickle-plated badge, to offer to Persephone. "Detective Adrian Faihr. I've been looking into reports of suspicious activity in the neighborhood, and I'd like to ask you a few questions." The stern looking detective nodded towards the doorway in which Persephone stood.

Back onto his belt went the badge, near the gun on his belt. "May I come in?" He asked. His bushy brows rose quizzically. Gruff and unsmiling, he sounded as if asking permission to enter were more a propriety than a necessity.

Persephone didn't feel entirely comfortable---not that anyone really would when the police came knocking around---but she figured it was best to avoid unnecessary conflict and just let the man in. Trouble was the main thing she looked to avoid.

"Of course," she said politely, albeit a bit reluctantly, and took a few steps back as she opened the door wide enough to allow him entry. As the worries of whether or not she had any refreshments to offer and the general cleanliness of the house raced through her mind, she found a moment or two to observe the man. More than anything he looked tired, as though each day were just another set of tasks to be carried out. A little pang of dread struck her at the prospect of becoming similar with age, but then it occurred to her that she wasn't exactly doing anything that different presently.

"I'm sorry if the place is a bit of a mess," Persephone added as she led him down the front hall to the kitchen, "but we weren't exactly expecting...company." The last word was spoken not with contempt, but with a hint of caution. As they reached the room she maneuvered herself around the battered old table and pulled out a chair, gesturing for the detective to do the same. "If there's nothing I can get you, do you mind my asking what this is all about?"