Not Your World

• Thread starter DisreputableCharles
  • Start date
"I'll keep that in mind," Persephone said thoughtfully, "though I don't anticipate the need to utilize that skill in the near future. Or at all, really; at least not for me." She shrugged nonchalantly, the faintest hint of a smile gracing her face as she once again lifted the mug to her lips.

"It's obvious you're new here, though," she said plainly, setting the beverage down on the table. "Anyone who's been around for at least a few months would've heard about this Cafe by now." It was a good thing she hadn't been still drinking during his next question, Persephone most likely would've snorted in a very unladylike manner.

"No, no I haven't." To make her point, she waved a hand dismissively. "Not very good at caring for other living things, except out of necessity. I tend to prefer my solitude." She looked amusedly secretive as she glanced at him again. "Well, except in this case."

Ixom smiled. "I might as well have written it in the sky." He mused. "That at least would have been grandiose, expensive, and foolish. I have expectations to disappoint, you see." Their food was on it's way, he spied. With a gentle sigh, he relinquished his date's hand. "As much as I'd love to go on feeling sappy and romantic, I suppose you want your hand back." He returned his own hands to his lap.

The snort made him grin, and he set his eyes upon the food as it arrived. "I am quite exceptional," He agreed, pulling his own meal -a mirror of Persephone's- closer. "But then again, so are you. What is this again?" He asked, gesturing to the food inquisitively. He hadn't much cared about what he was going to eat.

Rather than digging into the food straightaway, he leaned an elbow on the table, and a chin in his palm. He was more interested by far with his date, than with his food. "And do you have any dreams? Passions? Desires?"

Persephone withdrew her left hand, noting a distinct tingle that danced up her arm. As she plucked a raspberry from her plate she shook her head good-naturedly at his current flow of compliments; Ixom seemed to think that none would ever tire of his praise. "Provençal chicken salad," she said, pausing to chew the berry, "a delightfully quaint dish of greens and fowl, plus assorted berries and nuts. I always order it here."

There'd been just enough time for her to pick up her fork before the next question came, eliciting another look of I-shouldn't-be-surprised-that-I'm-surprised. "Diving right in, are we?" Persephone arched an eyebrow expectantly. "I think it should be my turn for inquiries, seeing as I know next to nothing about you, excluding of course that you're a novice in this town, apparently well-off financially, and a flamboyant narcissist. None of which, however, I'm holding against you; just thought I'd keep track. So," her tone was suddenly businesslike, though her eyes betrayed that she was still laughing, "what secrets can be revealed about you​?"

Ixom smiled as he tucked in to his own meal. He didn't pick the berries out, nor the chicken. He simply speared as many of the elements as he could gather on a fork, and allowed the flavors to mix in his mouth as they would. When he finished the first bite, he nodded his head, "I see why you do. It's delicious." He dabbed at his lips with a napkin, and canted his head at the summary of his apparent traits.

"I find that you are more difficult to put off balance than other women I've run into. I can appreciate that." He sipped at his tea once again, before settling his fork on his plate, and folding his hands in his lap. "Thank you for not holding myself against me. The duality may have been too much for reality to bear." He waggled his brows.

"But secrets. I don't know that I have any secrets from you. Not yet, anyhow. A man must know a woman for a time before he decides not to tell her things about himself, you see." He lifted a finger to his lips, to tap them as he thought. "I was raised an only child," He said. "Although I had a number of cousins and secondary relations close at hand. I was born into my money, but it hasn't stopped me from building my own finances apart from my father's legacy. I've owned three dogs, never two at a time, and I've never kissed a girl." He winked. "Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?"

Persephone directed her gaze upwards thoughtfully and took another drink from her mug, leaving a pause before she next spoke. There was a sort of strategy to conversations like this which she had taken to idly studying, though it was usually such a waste in day-to-day interactions. Delightful was the fact that talking to Ixom forced her to think a bit more than usual. "Glad to see my taste is approved of."

"Curses, it seems you've already covered the preponderance of what I was going to delve into." Exhaling quietly, she looked back at him to clarify. "I'd already gathered that you'd be an only child---and a wealthy one at that---so your choice of appearance and vehicle is no surprise, as well as your predilection towards personal bravado. However," her gaze narrowed and her lips curled like she'd mastered but half of Mona Lisa's smirk, "I find your last fun fact a bit difficult to believe, if I'm being perfectly honest."

Ixom took a moment to spread a napkin over his lap, and he managed to get through two bites and a sip more while Persephone spoke. Her disbelief as to the last section of his statement made that impish grin come back all over again. He set his fork down, and leaned back as if giving himself enough space to take the woman in entirely. "You can tell quite a bit from a man -or woman, in your case- by the questions they ask." He pointed out. "Or the answers they choose to believe. And not to believe."

He leaned in again, his fingers steepling over his meal. "Is the reason you believe that I must have -at some point- kissed a girl prior to this very moment in time that I could not possibly be gay if I've taken you out on a date? Or is it because I am entirely too good looking and smooth not to have advanced so far with a woman as a simple kiss?" His dark brow arched amusedly. "Of course, if you'd like to give me a kiss here and now, it would make the point moot, although it's said that kissing on a first date is frowned upon."

Persephone found herself following his example and laid the neat white cloth over the skirt which she had failed miserably to smooth, leading her to admit defeat. As she did so she allowed herself a flicker of a glance towards Ixom. "Oh dear, if you're able to discern my character from simple questions, then I may be in great danger of becoming nearly as predictable as yourself." Fabricating a look of disappointment, she gathered another mouthful onto her fork.

"My reasoning was influenced chiefly by the latter argument, though I wouldn't have worded it that way. Or perhaps I would've." Her smirk widened, leaving a pleasant sort of mystery behind her words. "For now I'll say that you haven't lured me quite that far, love. But we'll see how the evening plays out." Persephone took a bite of her dinner and let her gaze wander away, as though for the sole purpose of teasing him.

Ixom let out a laugh, light, and rich, and full of mirth. He hadn't had the cause -nor in fact the opportunity- to laugh that merrily in quite some time, despite his generally jovial nature. "I'd hate for you to become as predictable as myself, poor dullard that I am. I shall simply have to continue speaking at length, to save you from your oh-so-telling questions." He rolled those eyes, and speared more chicken, lettuce, and berries on his fork.

"I suspected as much," He mused, although whether he was referring to the words she might have chosen, or to the fact that she wasn't about to kiss him was anybody's guess. He went right on eating, content to let the conversation fall into a comfortable silence. Now and again, he'd glance up from his meal to study the woman. He didn't seem to care whether or not she caught him looking.

When he'd finished his meal, he plucked his napkin from his lap to lay it across his vacant plate. He crossed one leg over the other, and folded his hands in his lap to wait until his date had finished her meal in turn. "Well miss Persephone," He said, smiling. "I do not intend to retire just yet, but I will leave it to you whether or not you'd like me to return you home now, or later."

Persephone furrowed her brow the slightest bit at his ambiguous comment. Again he'd been able to leave her wondering, which in turn caused her to wonder whether or not she had the same effect. Not that it mattered very much, but she was extremely competitive.

A few moments passed without banter and she had finished her food, letting out a satisfied sigh as she leaned back in her chair. Never brusque or crude, but she most certainly wasn't the most prim and proper girl in the city. Still, her date didn't seem to mind, and as she stretched her arms over her head she replied to him,

"I see no reason I should be going home just yet." With a quick glance down at her watch (no need to pull back her sleeve, as the jacket hung on the back of her chair), she thought a moment before continuing. "The night is young, so if you'll still have me..." Green eyes smiled over at him when her gaze focused again.

Ixom pushed himself to his feet, and he plucked from an inner-breast pocket a sleek black wallet. From it, he produced a crisp fifty dollar bill, and he settled it half-beneath his plate. "Mmm, a man would have to be absolutely insane to refuse an offer such as that." He pushed in his chair, and offered his arm to the woman. The fifty would more than cover the meal, and he didn't particularly feel like waiting around for a waiter to swing by with the summary.

Her eyes were lovely, he noticed. And not for the first time. He found himself smiling a warmer smile than his usual impish fare. "Would you like to take the car, or shall we see where our feet carry us?" Ixom's unoffered arm took a moment to tug at his fine suit, in an effort to smooth any rumples that may have set in during the meal or the drive. "The sky is clear of clouds, although I am quite certain that lovelier views are to be had afoot." Of course, he meant Persephone. If they were going to do any driving about, he'd have to pay at least some attention to the road.

"Delightful to know that my feminine wiles still hold their effect." Persephone stood and batted the folds of her skirt into submission, then nodded in approval of the young man who already waited to whisk her away. "Ever the gentleman," she commented, more quietly than usual. It was true, of course; if not for the juvenile footwear and cockamamie hair, Ixom had been every girl's dream that evening. Of course Persephone wasn't one to be satisfied with the typical ideal, so his quirks were even more appealing to her.

"I think," she said, standing to slip on her jacket before oh-so-casually linking her arm with his, "that the night's clarity is some sort of divine indication that we must take a walk." Raising her idle hand to brush back her hair, she continued, "Besides, since you're a helpless newcomer, I have no choice but to aid you in familiarizing yourself with your new territory." Her chin was held high in feigned pretension as she said, "After all, I am an expert on this city."

Ixom grinned at his date's decision, and turned the pair of them towards the exit. Really, his footwear was -arguably- his favorite part of his entire getup. Oh he could look dashing any old day, but rare was the attire that allowed him to <i>roll</i>. The hand he hadn't offered to his date rose to sweep his hair back from his face, although he was sure he'd only manage to clear his eyes until they got out into the night. "My new territory," He said, with a grin. "I like the sound of that. If you're not careful my dear, you might yet entice me to settle down here."

As they left the cafe behind, he paused just outside the front door. With not a care for his car's security, he turned them off to the right, and began to walk. He had no obvious location in mind. Rather, he simply intended to enjoy the night sky, and his date's warmth at his side. "Very well, oh master of the city. Direct me to all the wonders of your empire, that I might see the truth and beauty they hold." He bumped his hip playfully into Persephone's own, gently.

Persephone's gaze flitted downwards as she laughed, a girlish sort of chuckle that she previously would have been shocked to hear from herself, yet now allowed to pass without a second thought. "My dear Ixom," she said, giving his arm a gentle squeeze, "You make that sound as if it's a bad thing."

Of course she knew how to navigate through her own domain, but showing it off as part of a tour was a different experience altogether. There was no worry, though, as she had already concluded that her companion's chief interest wasn't really in sightseeing at all. Still, since it was the perfect night for a walk, she'd do the best she could.

"The boarding house sits in a sort of in-between space separating the downtown area and its suburbs, but once you're past Fourth Street the business area begins to develop." As they walked along she tilted her head up to observe the faint sparkles of stars, though most were obscured by ebony skyscrapers. Her voice was quiet as she spoke, "They're beautiful...yet so cold, filled with people sitting at desks constantly wishing they were somewhere else..." Like realizing something she'd forgotten, Persephone dropped her eyes to glance at Ixom. "Or perhaps my subconscious just has me waxing poetic on things that don't really matter." She half-smiled, green eyes meeting chilly blue.

Ixom liked the sound of Persephone's laugh, girlish or no. She <i>was</i> a girl after all, and easy on the eyes to boot. "I don't know if it's a bad thing," He said slowly, as they walked, the wind rustling his hair enough that he needed to flick it out of his eyes a time or two. By the third, he'd given up, and he'd let it partially obscure his view as it might. "But I'll have to get used to speaking with a woman that can match me." He glanced at the woman in profile again, and he couldn't resist the smile that came. "I can't just <i>not</i> call on you now you know. You're far too bright, in a world of dullards to go unengaged. In conversation, I mean. It's a bit early to traipse off to buy you a ring, don't you think?" He winked, playfully.

True enough, Ixom cared not a whit for the tour but it was an excuse to stand close and smile at his date without all the work of finding an excuse of his own. When she mentioned the prettiness of the skyscrapers however, he tore his eyes away from her face to examine the monolithic towers of light set to the backdrop of the starry sky. "Why should this age's feats of architecture and impossibility go unappreciated when we moon over the feats of the past?" He asked fondly. "It's a shame sometimes, to see just how easily we can forget the laws of physics and probability that go defied by science on a daily basis."

Back to Persephone his eyes returned, eyes meeting eyes. "We met, after all, at chance." He pointed out.

Persephone tilted her head slightly, a secretive half-smile forming as she watched him fiddle with his hair. The perfect gentleman; well, she'd seen plenty of those, each more stuffy than the last, concerned with nothing more than societal ranking and others' perception of them. Someone who didn't take himself too seriously was a welcome change. "Adjustment may be a thorn in your side, sir, but I don't intend to go anywhere, so yes, get used to it." She'd known what he meant by conversational engagement, but it was still enough to elicit a laugh.

As she looked at him Persephone found herself again in that foreign situation of not quite being able to tell whether or not he was being 'open and honest'. Thinking back on recent events, however, she shrugged and said, "Chance that I was sitting where you happened to walk by? Yes. Following me home? That was your doing. Not, of course," she exhaled into the night air, "that I mind."

Ixom pulled the toes of his feet up and let himself coast alongside of Persephone for a few feet, before resuming the actual work of picking his feet up and <i>walking</i> like a normal human being. "Mmm, if adjustment is a thorn in my side, then your conversation will be an ointment to my wound." He said, rolling his eyes dramatically. "Although unless I'm blindly reading into things that I only think I've heard, you've just said you'll see more of me. I must be doing something right." The demon turned his eyes fully on his date as they walked, allowing only enough glances to the rout to make certain that he wouldn't trip over his own feet.

"Ah, yes. Fate indeed, it was that guided my footsteps past your bench." And luck that she didn't seem to think back to any of the strangeness surrounding the circumstances. "It was intrigue that made me follow you back. And pure skill that I convinced you to come dine with me." He grinned, only half-serious about this particular flare of narcissism. His cocky grin faded a few degrees, and his brows rose. "Are you cold, my dear?"

Persephone noted his change in locomotion with a raised eyebrow and subsequent grin, acknowledging also that this was the most smiling she'd done in a great long while. By no means was her usual self dour and distant, but she hadn't had any cause to keep her expression consistently glowing. It was, in this situation, difficult not to.

"If the evening thus far is any indication, I'll be happy answer further calls for companionship." Casually she slid her hand down his arm to link their fingers together, a motion that now felt natural rather than bold. She noticed him watching her closely, which was strange considering she was more accustomed to being the one doing the watching.

Upon breathing out Persephone saw her breath visible in the air, and a hint of a shiver ran through her. "A bit, but not terribly." She brought up her opposite hand to zip her jacket.

Ixom lived his life as happily as he could. The down below wasn't as merry as he'd have liked it, and he found that little rebellions -like wearing heelys rather than dress shoes- helped ease the constant sobriety. A bit of childish mischief always helped, of course. Her continued amusement further amused Ixom himself, and he was beginning to find that his motives ran more towards drawing out those smiles, than the answers about her suspicious immunity to his powers. Oh the curiosity was still there, but for now it took a back seat to the date.

He felt a pleasant tingle run up his arm as her fingers slid down to twine with his own. Rare had been the occasion for hand-holding for Ixom. "Then I shall endeavor to give myself ample opportunities to come a'courting," He said.

When Persephone zipped up her coat, he shifted himself just a bit closer. This time, the move didn't come with a bump of his hip, but rather a gentle squeeze of her hand. The demon wanted to keep her warm. How sweet. "If I were a romantic, this is where I'd slip my arm around your shoulders and hold you close, under the guise of warming you." He pointed out. "Luckily for you, instead, I am a cynic. And the merriest cynic you'll meet."

Persephone showed the slightest hint of a pout, though it was difficult to tell whether or not she was serious. She did enjoy keeping him close, however. "Ah, and here I thought you were just a gentleman." A few more steps and she let out an exaggerated sigh, "I suppose you wouldn't have such an effect on women if not for a few unique traits, eh?" In perhaps the most childish act she'd performed the whole day, or for that matter, the whole week, Persephone stuck her tongue out at him.

Then suddenly she slowed to a stop, causing a tug on her date's hand. With an almost distant look in her eyes, she glanced down a sidestreet, and that half-smile crept onto her face. "C'mon," she said, now pulling him along deliberately, "there's a place any newb should familiarize himself with, and tonight I'm going to show it to you."

Ixom let out a decidedly ungentlemanly snort. "If I were <i>just</i> a gentleman, I think you'd have left me in a trail of dust my dear." If her exposed tongue put him off, he didn't show it. Much the opposite. He crossed his eyes, and puffed out his cheeks expressively. He might've made antlers out of his hands, but one was occupied. Perhaps it was no great surprise, but it amused him none the less. The expression was but a flash before his face was back to it's normally handsome appearance.

The tug on his hand brought his head around to eye Persephone quizzically. He was growing to adore that half-smile of hers. "If this involves a lover's lane and a classic car..." He began wryly, his eyes twinkling. He was teasing of course. For a man that had never kissed a girl, he was well equipped for innuendo at the very least. He stepped quickly along after his eager date however, his eyes searching the street for the yet-to-be-seen must-see.