Not Just Wonderland Anymore

"Ewewewew," I hissed as spider's crawled out of the other cup. I took the cup that the boy had passed me and I stared into it. Sighing, I put the cup to my lips and swallowed it's contents.

Almost immediately, the room changed and I could see the stairs and door that the boy saw. I jumped up from the table and ran up the stairs, past the boy. "Hurry! I don't like spiders!" I called to him, shivering a little.

He ran through the door as fast as he could, not wanting to get eaten alive by those spiders. As soon as he was through, the door was shut behind them. "Whew... That was close, huh?" He looked around where they were now. It was a pool. An indoor pool with shattered windows and blood swirling through the water. The chairs that sat beside the pool were all torn up and there was no way out except for the door that was behind them, leading back to the spiders. "Well... How do we solve this puzzle?" He crouched on the edge of the pool, staring into its contents.

I pushed myself against the door after it closed. "I hate spiders," I said, breathing heavily. After a few minutes of hyperventilating, my breathing turned normal and I looked around the new room. "A pool?" I wondered aloud. Of course, it was no normal pool. It looked as though there had been a great fight in the room.

"I don't know...Just don't drink that water," I said in a slightly playful tone. Even though I was scared, horrified, I still wanted to lighten the mood. Maybe lightening the mood would help somehow.

He laughed a little, and was about to touch the water when he saw his own reflection. Well, not really his, but some strange undead version of himself. "Holy crap!" He jumped back and stared at it. "That's... Really creepy..." He walked around the pool, staring down into it. "Really, I can't swim so what do they expect? And whose doing this anyways?" He looked towards the walls of the room. All tile. There was a lot of splashing almost as soon as he looked away. He turned to look at the pool and saw nothing. No more splashing noises either. "What was that... Did you throw something into the pool?"

I jumped a little when the boy shouted and jumped away from the pool.

"You're doing this...but you don't realize it...?" I whispered quietly so the boy couldn't hear. I watched him as he walked around the pool and looked around. Then something made me freeze. There had been movement in the pool, I wasn't sure what it was, but something had moved.

"What was that... Did you throw something into the pool?" the boy asked me.

I shook my head quickly, my eyes wide with surprise. "No...Something moved in the pool!" I told him, pointing to the area where the water had jumped.

"Something in the pool? Whatever it is, it must've bled a lot... If it's still alive, it won't be for long." He walked back to the pool and stared into it. He saw something move, but more of a flash of scales. "Or a survivor of whatever was in there before..."

There was another flash of scales as a tale splashed the surface of the water. It made him jump back. "Woah... I think there's a mermaid or something in there... Think I should dive in?" He smirked at his companion. "Maybe that's how we solve this little piece of the puzzle."

"By diving into a bloody pool?" I asked, my eyes widening in shock. "Are you...I mean...Is someone trying to kill us?" I had stuttered, I was no longer entirely sure what was going on. Were we still in the boys imagination, or was this someone else's sick game? I shook my head to clear it, as well as to say no.

"No way, I wouldn't jump in that. If it is a mermaid, why would she be in a pool filled with blood?" I shook my head again. "I don't know...Maybe we should wait to see if...whatever it is comes out?"

He thought about it for a second. "Wait for it to come out? If it is a mermaid, it won't be able to live on land you know." Well, that's what he thought anyways. Maybe it would just turn into something that looked like a human. He didn't know. "Maybe it isn't a mermaid at all! It could just be a big coy fish or something..." He splashed the water with his hand and watched as the blood moved away from his hand. Nothing came up after his hand or anything.

"If you worry about me doing it so much, why don't you do it?" He smirked a bit, obviously joking. "That would just be cruel though... I couldn't make you do that." He looked around for something to toss in, just to test what would happen if he did dive in. "Stone, stone, stone... Or..." All he saw was a few chairs and a towel. The towel would just float on top and the chairs looked a little too heavy.