???
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Online Availability
Shake a tin of dice and tell me what numbers they give you.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Sci-Fi, Fantasy, an assortment of others. Ask and you shall receive (an answer).
STOP RIGHT THERE. I know what you're thinking: "Dipper, you already have a bunch of ongoing threads, why do you need more?" and I say "Because I want to." And then everyone is happy and we bond over fun threads.

So, this thread is about nicknames. Not everyone gets them, but some do and it carries on into adulthood and beyond. Sometimes people forget your real name, which may or may not be a good thing. Insulting nicknames, playful nicknames, unique terms of endearment-- they're all viable.

I grew up with the nickname DeDe, based on my middle name and pseudo-online-alias/first name substitute, Dean.

What're your nicknames?

Kaga is my IRL nickname, and it is much more widely-used than my real name in my circles of friends. In high school, this spawned a number of nicknames based off of Kaga, such as "Kaggles" and "Kaga-kun", and there was one guy in particular who always called me "Kagami-sama", even though that seems like quite a mouthful compared to just "Kaga".

Also, here's a story -- today at work, someone addressed me as "Kaga", which was weird, because that implies that she knows who I am. I don't even wear a nametag or anything, but even if I did, it would probably be my legal name. Outside of specific social contexts, I only expect friends to call me Kaga. I don't think I'd ever seen that person before in my life. They were completely unfamiliar to me, and they called me Kaga, and our interaction was so brief that I didn't have time for follow-up questions -- especially since I didn't get a lot of sleep last night and so I was not at peak mental functioning during my shift today, and I didn't even realize what was strange about that interaction until after she had already left.

Who is this person? What does she want?

• Love
Reactions: The Mood is Write
Hmm IRL I am usually called by my real name. Occasionally I'm Bee, and the Mister has all sorts of names for me including Momo-chan.

Online I'm Greenie, the Green one, Green bean, Beanie, GeeBee. My bud @SkittlesAndSpike calls me Green-nee as in big sister (like nee-chan... C'mon, if you know anime, y'know what I mean).

I've been called Jelly before because it sounds like my real name, sort of. :P One of my friends calls me "Jillybean", and another one tends to call me "little missy" when he wants to tease me :P Online, I've become stuff like "Just Me the Noddle" and whatnot.

My name's long enough for people to not bother to say it beyond the first syllable.

Also, for some time, a friend of mine insisted on calling me 'Zeus'. Yeah.

I never had a Nickname... I had an Anthonyname.

Online I have a Gwaziname.
In Elementary School I had a Baritonename.

I rarely get called by my real name anymore. Only by people I'm not close with, but even then they quickly seem to stick to one of the many nicknames they like.

Nemo; is the most common one nowadays, mostly for online purposes. However, it has been seeping into real life as well as people find it cuter than my actual name.

Wawa/Wa; used to be the most common nickname for me both in real life and online. However, nowadays only my mom and @firejay1 call me that.

(Little) Lulu; sad attempt of my mom to give me a 'little name', didn't catch on. Online it does, for some reason, however that is mostly because of the champion Lulu from League of Legends.

Pluvy; once upon a time I went online as Pluvia. @darkflames13 is the only one who calls me that nowadays. Sometimes others tag in along, but it is mostly her. XD

Waffles; @FieryCold is one of the few who calls me by that nickname. @darkflames13 and she both coined it because everyone needed a food themed nickname. (we are still debating who actually thought it up, I think).

Sophie; @BlackHaru came with that one. Gramps be naming his grandchildren. @HaoHaou is the only one really who calls me Sophie, or soupie.

Fish/Feeshy; no idea who coined this one, but @Princess Misaou has been calling me Feeshy from time to time. @Wicked with Fish whenever they make another sushi joke again.

Cheeky; used to be a nickname when I was a kid! No one calls me that anymore since I graduated primary school, however.

What a list. XD

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: darkflames13
I don't actually have any nicknames for my IRL name. I do have multiple ones though - an English one and a Korean one, and the Chinese reading of my Korean name. I like to think this is why I'm pretty flexible about what ppl online call me, too. I've got a lot of nicknames here on iwaku. None of them have been longer than 3 years, though, cause I haven't been online more than 3 years. The full list is somewhere around 20, but basically they can be boiled down into a few basic types:

1. firejay variants - obviously, my net handle here is firejay1, so ppl often just adapt that and go with it. Jay, Fire, little jay, firey, fayjay (though only Maimai gets to call me that one), etc etc.

2. spider related - this is kinda due to a conversation I had once, that led to my skype handle relating to spiders, which got adapted to my discord handle, which somehow became a thing. Spidey (from @Turtle of the Tired) and Spiderbitch (from @Everly) are the two main ones I can remember being used.

3. gummy variants - my discord handle is umigumo = sea spider in JPN, but the first person who saw me on discord, @Astaroth, saw the gummy part and turned it into gumdrop. Lots of ppl now use gummy, gummygumo, gumdrop/gumballs (@Diana is a weird one) etc (though gummy is the most popular of these).

4. shortened forms of Anaia Caria Tsukasa - my skype name, which now only Hoggy people use: @Nemopedia, @VocaStar, etcetc. My favorite of these is Anya, but Cari used to be more common, funnily enough.

5. spoofs of lowercasedness - I hate it when people use the capital F for firejay, because it ain't my handle. Lots of ppl on this site with obsessive proper grammar apparently, though, so it turned into something of a massive pet peeve. I tell everyone now not to call me Firejay. As a result, there have been fun nicknames made because of it, the primary one being Lowercase (courtesy of @The Mood is Write), but also stuff like Irejay and Jirefay (from @Turtle of the Tired again) and fIREJAY (made up by @Jorick that really not all that many people use).

My online name is already short and sweet, so Hana is fine with people. xD Occasionally I get called Flower (the English translation of the Japanese 'hana'), Hanablossom, Hanaflower, Hanabear, Hanacakes, and basically a lot of random things other people attach to Hana. It's pretty sweet to know people want to make my already short name longer, so I actually like having nice things tacked on. :P

IRL I am almost always called YM because my real name is long and needs to be shortened. : | People have called me Yahoo Messenger, YM(CA), and Em-em (my brother...) sometimes.

Almost all the people I know online call me Ricey or some variation thereof: riceball, congee, rice cakes, cold fried rice, Ian Ricefield and so on. @darkflames13 was the first to start calling me 'Ricey'. @Nemopedia was the one who thought up 'congee', as I recall. I've really warmed up to these names and have even changed some of my usernames to match them.

My online nickname has also somewhat bled into my offline life. I don't really keep my online identity/shenanigans a secret from my RL friends so some of them have taken it upon themselves to call me Ricey as well. Most of the time though, they just call me by my real first name.

Some of my friends from high school (with whom I've managed to keep in contact even after all these years, although admittedly somewhat barely) would call me by a shortened version of my last name. That is something that my chemistry teacher started actually. It just caught on I guess, but I never really liked it. Thank goodness nobody ever calls me that anymore. XD

My mom calls me "Ling". Don't ask where she got that from, because I have no idea and neither does she. Lmao.

Most people just call me by my name but some of my friends like to call me Corey (my name for short).

Most of my family on my mom's side calls me...... Nunu. Laugh and I'll hurt you D:< Seriously that nickname is embarrassing!

Melon has been my nickname on Iwaku for around two years now, and also now everywhere else.

You can thank that bastard, @Xnijmai for this name.

My husband calls me Peaches. No idea why, he just randomly started calling me it one day and has been ever since.

My aunt and cousin called me Tina-Wina since I was a kid. Pretty self-explanatory since my name is Tina. That eventually evolved into Wina Wat, which is still my nickname as much as I hate it.

Buzza-Buzza was another nickname given by my family. When I was younger my ears were huge, and stuck out really far, so my older cousin would 'flap' them and tell me to fly like a bumble bee. For some odd reason I obliged and started making buzzing noises while I did it, and that's how I got that nickname....

• Love
From Sen: Senpai, Senapi, Senpineapple, Senny, Waifu

From my name: Bucket, Soup, [mynamemyname] so like... eg. Johnjohn, ReRe, [myname]ers, [myname]s

5. spoofs of lowercasedness - I hate it when people use the capital F for firejay, because it ain't my handle. Lots of ppl on this site with obsessive proper grammar apparently, though, so it turned into something of a massive pet peeve. I tell everyone now not to call me Firejay. As a result, there have been fun nicknames made because of it, the primary one being Lowercase (courtesy of @The Mood is Write), but also stuff like Irejay and Jirefay (from @Turtle of the Tired again) and fIREJAY (made up by @Jorick that really not all that many people use).
Mine is best, obviously. B)

Moving on to my own nicknames...

I was Spacey Kacy in elementary school. Also the one that other kids avoided because I was weird and didn't 'get it'. Alas!

In college, I moved on to the nickname "Kay", which sticks for most offline stuff, but my closest friends call me Moody more often than not, even offline.

Variants on my online name? Oh man...

Mood, Moodi, Moods, Moody, Moob, Mod, Modwri (a mix of 'mood' and 'write'), Mods, Moodybooty, Mama Moody, Moodybooby...

And then Jared comes up with some really sweet things to call me. x) I'll save the sweetie his pride and not list them.

As far as giving nicknames, my favorites that I've GIVEN are...

@Aerylei is Harry.
@VeilofRain is Evil Vile Veil.
@firejay1 is Lowercase.
@Diana is Di.
@redblood is Boob.
@Shirelin is Chibibibibibibi.
@Rembrandt is Sput.

Like most of y'all, my user name is my irl nickname - a combination of my first and middle initials E + L. My family also has a habit of calling me Hermione... I can't fathom why (insufferableknowitall).

• Love
My real life nick-name, based upon my actual name, was King Kong.

From my own forum name however...- I've only encountered Bork, Laser, Borky and so forth.

also SPUTTERNUTTERBUTTERBAR always caps usually with !!! emphasis! -grins-

The main nick I've had is Remmy, which is cute. I love it when ppl call me that
my ex called me Remsicle and Rembo too lol

• Love
also SPUTTERNUTTERBUTTERBAR always caps usually with !!! emphasis! -grins-
You're goddamned right. B] Delicious Sputterbutternutterbutterbar! -chews- Owes me posts! >u>

People call me Alex a lot. At least people who I'm really close with do. I've flip-flopped on whether I want people calling me my full name or just Alex multiple times. At this point, though, I would rather be called Alex because of... well, reasons I've explained before and will explain later in this post.

At one point, I remember some kids calling me Pauly D for absolutely no reason at all. It's a bit out there as a nickname. Doesn't even make sense, as none of my names start with a D.

Birddog is an interesting nickname that came out of my sister's mouth one day and stuck. It became a useful base for a lot of usernames for accounts, but for some reason half of the time I'm not able to put just Birddog, so I assume that there are other people out there with Birddog as a nickname.

Now, this last nickname takes some explaining. I have been known to indulge in a meme-based joke or two. One I especially like is the "I identify as an attack helicopter" meme. I know I shouldn't be making fun of trans people's difficulties, but that point is a bit moot when I realized that I identified as an attack helicopter a female. So, I one day make a joke to a friend who knows I identify as a girl. The joke was somewhere along the lines of "My pronounce are Your Highness and Your Majesty." Well, in a way that nickname stuck as that friend started calling me Princess.

Status
Not open for further replies.